PDA

View Full Version : Can the Jazz take the Lakers in the playoffs?

mrblisterdundee
03-08-2009, 08:59 PM
The West's elite is narrowed down to five teams this season: The Lakers, The Spurs, The Nuggets, The Hornets, and The Jazz. The Lakers are at the pinnacle of the conference.
The Jazz at full strength, however, is making me think they can take The Lakers, and everybody else, in the playoffs. Deron Williams has a massive advantage over Derek Fisher in almost every area of his game. Paul Milsap, Carlos Boozer, and Andre Kirilenko seem like too much for Pau Gasol, Lamar Odom, and Trevor Ariza. Mhemet Okur is also going to command a lot of attention from Gasol.
Kobe Bryant is going to own on everybody, but will it be enough? Will Bynum come back, and will he be good enough in time? Will Pau Gasol and Lamar Odom be able to handle the Jazz's depth at forward. At every position except for shooting guard, the Jazz seem to have a tactical advantage. Which team do you think would prevail in the playoffs?

fairandbalanced
03-08-2009, 09:00 PM
NO, stop dreaming.

madiaz3
03-08-2009, 09:02 PM
Jazz have not really made any big changes since last years playoffs, for which they were fully healthy.

astrosmaniac
03-08-2009, 09:06 PM
The West's elite is narrowed down to five teams this season: The Lakers, The Spurs, The Nuggets, The Hornets, and The Jazz. The Lakers are at the pinnacle of the conference.
The Jazz at full strength, however, is making me think they can take The Lakers, and everybody else, in the playoffs. Deron Williams has a massive advantage over Derek Fisher in almost every area of his game. Paul Milsap, Carlos Boozer, and Andre Kirilenko seem like too much for Pau Gasol, Lamar Odom, and Trevor Ariza. Mhemet Okur is also going to command a lot of attention from Gasol.
Kobe Bryant is going to own on everybody, but will it be enough? Will Bynum come back, and will he be good enough in time? Will Pau Gasol and Lamar Odom be able to handle the Jazz's depth at forward. At every position except for shooting guard, the Jazz seem to have a tactical advantage. Which team do you think would prevail in the playoffs?
im sorry, did the rockets magically move to the eastern conference? cause last i checked they were tied with NO, Utah, and the Nuggets. The only one of the "elite" teams in either conference the rockets havent beat this year is the lakers (2 very close games, either team could have won with 30 seconds to go). They have to be considered in the elite of the western conference

mrblisterdundee
03-08-2009, 09:13 PM
im sorry, did the rockets magically move to the eastern conference? cause last i checked they were tied with NO, Utah, and the Nuggets. The only one of the "elite" teams in either conference the rockets havent beat this year is the lakers (2 very close games, either team could have won with 30 seconds to go). They have to be considered in the elite of the western conference

The Rockets are destined to get beat in the first round. Between now and the playoffs, they will have another major injury, and they might scrape into the playoffs. As if injuries weren't enough, they lost their starting point guard. I'm a University of Oregon student who knows how good Aaron Brooks is, but he isn't ready to help lead the Rockets through the playoffs. He would get manhandled by Chris Paul, Deron Williams, Chauncey Billups, and Tony Parker. Even Steve Nash would do well against him. I'll give Houston the same bleak chance as Dallas. They could probably beat the Blazers.

superkegger
03-08-2009, 09:13 PM
I don't like how the poll is worded, but if the two met in the playoffs, I think the Lakers would prevail. However, as a Lakers fan, it is my hope that the Spurs and Jazz finish 2-3 in the standings, because to be honest, both teams kind of scare me. Both have shown the ability to beat the Lakers, and both if fully healthy are very good teams. I think the Jazz could beat the Lakers, especially with the way they've been playing lately. I think you'd be kidding yourself if you said the Jazz couldn't beat the Lakers in a 7 game series. They could. I don't think they will/would though.

The Panch
03-08-2009, 09:18 PM
They have a shot with a healthy Boozer, but I still think the Lakers would win the series in 6 games.

ReymanEjazzfan
03-08-2009, 09:20 PM
Jazz took the lakers to the last second of game 6 last year. brewer, dwill, and millsap have all gotten ALOT better and boozer should be well rested from not playing much this whole season. hopefully if we play the lakers in the playoffs brewer can step up and slow down kobe a little bit. it would be a really close series and obviously i think the jazz should win cause their my team :D

DODGERS&LAKERS
I don't like how the poll is worded, but if the two met in the playoffs, I think the Lakers would prevail. However, as a Lakers fan, it is my hope that the Spurs and Jazz finish 2-3 in the standings, because to be honest, both teams kind of scare me. Both have shown the ability to beat the Lakers, and both if fully healthy are very good teams. I think the Jazz could beat the Lakers, especially with the way they've been playing lately. I think you'd be kidding yourself if you said the Jazz couldn't beat the Lakers in a 7 game series. They could. I don't think they will/would though.

I agree. I think the Lakers would beat both the Jazz and the Spurs. But I dont want them to have to beat both teams. It takes too much out of you. The Jazz or the Spurs dont give up anything easily. I hope one of them eliminates the other. Allowing the Lakers to have an easier trip to the finals, thus, having fresher legs and bodies.

Kakaroach
Any team in the West can beat any team in a 7-game series except for maybe Dallas and Phoenix. The Jazz, with the way they are playing now, can beat anyone. Same can be said for NO or Houston.

lakers4sho
03-08-2009, 09:21 PM
Lakers beat a healthy Jazz last year, in 6, without Bynum and without Ariza.

KobeIs
03-08-2009, 09:25 PM

beat me to it

G-Funk
03-08-2009, 09:26 PM
^^^ That's where I get my confidence from But if the Jazz learn to play well defense without fouling so much, they are very capable.

FOBolous
03-08-2009, 09:27 PM
all the teams in the west have proven they can beat each other

bahama0811
03-08-2009, 09:27 PM
Can they beat them? Yes
Do I think they'll beat them if they play? No

FOBolous
03-08-2009, 09:30 PM
The Rockets are destined to get beat in the first round. Between now and the playoffs, they will have another major injury, and they might scrape into the playoffs. As if injuries weren't enough, they lost their starting point guard. I'm a University of Oregon student who knows how good Aaron Brooks is, but he isn't ready to help lead the Rockets through the playoffs. He would get manhandled by Chris Paul, Deron Williams, Chauncey Billups, and Tony Parker. Even Steve Nash would do well against him. I'll give Houston the same bleak chance as Dallas. They could probably beat the Blazers.

almost every rockets fan will disagree with you about what you said about aaron brooks. virtually every rockets fan thinks Aaron Brooks is an upgrade over Rafer Alston and feels that our team is better without Rafer Alston.

lorenz00
03-08-2009, 09:35 PM
the lakers would win game 5 or 6

JJ81
03-08-2009, 09:40 PM
As I Laker fan I'd like the Lakers to play either the Suns (because it's Shaq and the Suns) or the Jazz (because their fans still wont accept that they got beat down last year).

Sportfan
03-08-2009, 09:43 PM
the jazz could but they wont

GREATNESS ONE
03-08-2009, 09:44 PM
The Jazz is a very good young Basketball team. But ther Poll ask Who WOULD win? and the thread tittle is CAN they win? WOULD I dont really think they would can the I think you would be ignorant to say they couldnt.

jimbobjarree
03-08-2009, 09:45 PM
I think we can take them. remember last seaosn we had like the 4th or 5th youngest roster in the league, we've come along way since then, especialy with our bench being starters for the majority of the year.

If we can improve on our starts (slow starts killed us at the staples in last years playoffs), and if we can d kobe without fouling him as much, it will be a very competitive series, but of course we are still the underdogs

Sidious
03-08-2009, 10:31 PM
Let me go ahead and nip this in the bud right now.

Outside of Dwill, the Jazz have NO ONE that can match up with the Lakers. Lakers beat the Jazz in six last season so what do you think would happen when they come up against a Lakers team with a healthy Bynum, Gasol back at his natural position of PF, and Odom playing as well as he has been? The only chance they have is jacking up a bunch of 3s because of the Lakers poor efforts at defending that shot.

And, I haven't even mentioned Kobe.

astrosmaniac
03-08-2009, 11:17 PM

did you realize that rafer alston was as much a problem for the rockets as t-mac was? he was the very definition of the word inconsistent. he would jack up so many wild shots it hurt the team. without rafer and tmac i believe the rockets are 8-3, with one of those losses just being a fluke (the chicago game), a game they had every chance to win, but just didnt capitalize (th utah game). they have a better chance IMO than the hornets or the nuggets. the teams im scared of are the jazz, lakers, and spurs

NYstateofMinD
03-09-2009, 12:38 AM
I just want to say for the record the Jazz and Lakers are the best two teams in the league. The Jazz haven't been completely healthy all season and they are also a different team from last year. Some of the changes include:
1. Korver has been with the team for a full training camp and season.
2. They signed Brevin Knight as a backup pg.
3. They drafted Koufos.
4. They are one of the youngest teams in the league, and Deron, Millsap, Brewer, and CJ Miles all got better this season.
5. Harpring is healthy this season.
6. Kirilenko got his swagger back (remember the incident where he cried, talk about chemistry problems during the playoffs)
Basically the Jazz have the utilities to push the Lakers to the limits just like the Spurs do, and anyone who disagrees that these two teams (when 100% healthy) CAN beat the Lakers is just being delusional.

yojoe792
03-09-2009, 12:41 AM
Not without home court.

If they did have home court, then its a discussion.

Vinny642
03-09-2009, 12:42 AM
I would hope any team Lakers face they lose... I think the Jazz can do it...
I think the final race is going to be Between the top 4 seeds Lakers Spurs Jazz and Hornets

lakersfan211
03-09-2009, 12:45 AM
we beat the jazz last year with 2 of our key parts out and they had all their players playing and the jazz are the same team they were last year so i think history will repeat itself again , lakers in 6 without bynum , in 5 with him.

lakersfan211
03-09-2009, 12:46 AM
the only team in the west i think can take us to the limit is the hornets.

ragee
03-09-2009, 01:08 AM
I hate the Lakers and I really like D-Will... I want to say the Jazz can beat them easily but I don't want to be biased... The Lakers are a great team... They are tough to beat especially when Bynum is there... However, I do think the Jazz have a chance... Even if it is a little one... D-Will is so great this season and I think he will own Fisher... Although the Lakers are a better team, winning the pg battle can affect the game tremendously... I hope they can beat them... I don't want Kobe to get another ring...

ragee
03-09-2009, 01:10 AM
the only team in the west i think can take us to the limit is the hornets.

Nah... You guys can handle the Hornets... I think the only team that has the legit chance to beat the Lakers are the Spurs...

lakerfan4life1
03-09-2009, 01:23 AM
no chance. The key to bet the lakers is stopping kobe. They have nobody who can guard kobe not even ak47 can't stop kobe's mission so the lakers will beat them 4-1 and if bynum comes back healthy okur cant stop bynum in the paint. Boozer aint healthy enough 2 guard Gasol there only chance is on milsap hes good but not enough experience. D.williams will do his thing but it wont be enough 2 bet the lakers

AIMelo=KillaDUO
03-09-2009, 02:35 AM
The Jazz may have Dwill who is alot better then Fisher and Boozer and Milsap may be "too much" for Odom and Gasol... But the Lakers still have Kobe, who is too much for anyone in the league.

ggg
03-09-2009, 02:37 AM
in order for the jazz to beat the lakers in a SERIES they gotta have homecourt advantage which the lakers pretty much have over the west. One win in utah will get the job done because the jazz cant win on the road.

stop this "boozer and milsap too much for odom and gasol" when memet okur is probably la's biggest concern after d. williams.

ragee
03-09-2009, 02:53 AM
no chance. The key to bet the lakers is stopping kobe. They have nobody who can guard kobe not even ak47 can't stop kobe's mission so the lakers will beat them 4-1 and if bynum comes back healthy okur cant stop bynum in the paint. Boozer aint healthy enough 2 guard Gasol there only chance is on milsap hes good but not enough experience. D.williams will do his thing but it wont be enough 2 bet the lakers

I have to disagree... I would rather have my team stop the rest of them and let Kobe have a great night than stop Kobe and let the rest of the team run us over... I think the Lakers are at their best when everyone is doing good and Kobe is just chillin, not doing much and just waiting for the time when he is needed...

GoatMilk
03-09-2009, 02:55 AM
didnt the Lakers defeat this same team last year in the playoffs without their starting center? what if he's back?

hotpotato1092
03-09-2009, 02:59 AM
I don't think anyone out west is beating the Lakers

cambovenzi
03-09-2009, 03:03 AM
Can they beat them? Yes
Do I think they'll beat them if they play? No

exactly my thoughts.

sure its possible.
but if we are going straight up, "which is more likely?", its easily the lakers.

DerekRE_3
03-09-2009, 03:07 AM

Paul Millsap wasn't nearly as good last year as he is this year. Same can be said about Ronnie Brewer, and AK has been very effective this year as well. Just because the names on the backs of the jersey's are the same for the Jazz, doesn't mean they are the exactly same team they were last year.

GoatMilk
03-09-2009, 03:13 AM
Paul Millsap wasn't nearly as good last year as he is this year. Same can be said about Ronnie Brewer, and AK has been very effective this year as well. Just because the names on the backs of the jersey's are the same for the Jazz, doesn't mean they are the exactly same team they were last year.

Same can be said with L.A.
Ariza didnt play in that series and he is a key contributor to this team.
Bynum also wasnt there, and there's a chance he would be in this series.
Sasha has been meh this season, who's to say he won't pick it up soon?

Both teams got better, but if Utah still can't win on the road, the Lakers should be able to hold them off

DerekRE_3
03-09-2009, 03:19 AM
Same can be said with L.A.
Ariza didnt play in that series and he is a key contributor to this team.
Bynum also wasnt there, and there's a chance he would be in this series.
Sasha has been meh this season, who's to say he won't pick it up soon?

Both teams got better, but if Utah still can't win on the road, the Lakers should be able to hold them off

Well, I wasn't saying the Jazz would beat the Lakers in a 7 game series, I was just pointing out that just because they have the same players, doesn't mean they are the same team as last year. With their depth though, they have a chance to beat any team in the league in a 7 game series.

Lakersfan2483
03-09-2009, 03:26 AM

The Jazz have a very good, deep team led by a great point guard, but I don't think they are good enough to beat the lakers in a 7 game series. I don't think they have the personnel to matchup with Kobe and both Gasol and Odom are good enough to matchup with the Jazz bigmen. I think the series would look like last year's series in which LA beat Utah in 6 games..... The Jazz have the same team as last season and the Lakers are expecting to get a healthy Bynum back which will pay dividends on both offense and defense. LA also has enough depth on their bench to compete with the Jazz's depth. It would be a competitive series, but the result will be the same as last year's playoffs, maybe different if Bynum is able to comeback and get in a rhythm before the playoffs......

Giants-49ers-Ws
03-09-2009, 03:36 AM
No...

LakerzDQ
03-09-2009, 08:49 AM
right now, it feels like no west teams can handle the Lakers in the playoffs.

I mean, Kobe is on a f'in mission here. jazz defense CAN'T stop him. not to mention Odom, Gasol, Fisher, and the bench.

NYstateofMinD
03-09-2009, 08:55 AM
right now, it feels like no west teams can handle the Lakers in the playoffs.

I mean, Kobe is on a f'in mission here. jazz defense CAN'T stop him. not to mention Odom, Gasol, Fisher, and the bench.

Yea no one on the Lakers can be stopped! Why even have this thread? They can't hold Fisher let alone Kobe.

lakerboy
03-09-2009, 08:56 AM
I don't think the Jazz could beat the Lakers. But they are one of the few good teams in the west. I hope they don't end up in the 4th, 5th, or 8th seed.

leftymo
03-09-2009, 11:31 AM
If the Jazz are for real, they will finish with at least the #3 seed. They close out their last seven road games at phoenix, denver, portland, new orleans, dallas, san antonio, and lakers.

Good teams win on the road, something Utah hasn't proven over the past two years. They might have the worst road record of all playoff teams in the west.

Oh and Andrew Bynum will be back. Okur & Boozer have no prayer against him.

Utah & SA are the only threats to LA but in the grand scheme of things they aren't real threats. Not this year.

Since 1999, 90% of #1 seeds make the conference finals (both conferences)... That's a rather high number.

JordansBulls
03-09-2009, 12:04 PM
I agree. I think the Lakers would beat both the Jazz and the Spurs. But I dont want them to have to beat both teams. It takes too much out of you. The Jazz or the Spurs dont give up anything easily. I hope one of them eliminates the other. Allowing the Lakers to have an easier trip to the finals, thus, having fresher legs and bodies.

I disagree unless you are much better than the opposition. I believe you need a challenge before the finals because it shows how hard you must play to win it all. IF it is too easy in your conference it makes it tougher on the biggest level.

Case in point I will give you is in 1998 the Jazz went through the Rockets (Hakeem, Barkley, Drexler), Spurs (Duncan and Robinson), Lakers (Shaq, Jones, Kobe, Van Exel) and did so with ease really.

The Bulls had their work cut out for them against the Pacers. A team we should have beaten in 5 games but that was deep as hell and gave us trouble. We were worn out by them after that 7 game series, but even so that series helped us for the next series to show what it would take to win.

Or you can look at the 2000 series between the Lakers and Blazers. To me Indiana was better than Portland, but once the Lakers beat Portland they were relieved of a lot of pressure.

So that is what I feel the Lakers need this year. They need that challenge. They need a series where they have to win a do or die game 7 at home to help them overcome obstacles for the finals.

ggg
03-09-2009, 01:30 PM
If the Jazz are for real, they will finish with at least the #3 seed. They close out their last seven road games at phoenix, denver, portland, new orleans, dallas, san antonio, and lakers.

Good teams win on the road, something Utah hasn't proven over the past two years. They might have the worst road record of all playoff teams in the west.

Utah & SA are the only threats to LA but in the grand scheme of things they aren't real threats. Not this year.

Since 1999, 90% of #1 seeds make the conference finals (both conferences)... That's a rather high number.

okur does have a prayer on bynum. he'll make him pay as much as bynum will hook shot his way to score. Okur shoots at the 3 point line, spreads the floor for slashers like ronnie. plus his clutch too, you need a body on him and bynum is just too slow to go in and out.

t-mac1nukka
03-09-2009, 02:22 PM

??? since when are the nuggets elite???

JordansBulls
03-09-2009, 02:28 PM
This years playoffs will probably be like the 2006 playoffs where everyone was expecting a Detroit and San Antonio rematch as they had the best records and both teams got knocked off.

Honestly to me the Rockets have the best chance to beat the Lakers in the playoffs out west because they have 2 different guys who are good defenders that can slow down Kobe and have him shoot bad shots.

jimbobjarree
03-09-2009, 02:53 PM
I know the Lakers have improved, but I think all of you who are just saying 'we beat the same team last year, so we'll do it again' are seriously underating the Jazz, which is fine, I've always been cool with the element of suprise.

anyway I think we have to focus on getting the 3rd seed, which means we'll have to bother with SA first

Rylz
03-09-2009, 03:06 PM
Interesting matchup, because both teams are incredibly deep. You can't just compare starting lineups, but I'll try a comparison anyway.
C: Memo vs. Bynum: TIE
Memo's not physical enough to stop Bynum, and Bynum's not fast enough to guard Memo from downtown. This could easily turn into a score-fest at this position.
PF: Boozer vs. Pau: TIE
Everyone will argue with me, but these are really two of the top caliber power forwards in the league. Boozer's a bit better at scoring and rebounding, but Pau is a better defender. if either one catches fire though, watch out.
SF: CJ Miles vs. Luke Walton: CJ (slight lead)
Neither team relies a lot on this position. CJ can score more points, but is much more inconsistent. CJ's scoring average is a bit higher, so I give him the nod, but I doubt the series will rest on how well these guys do.
SG: Brewer vs. Kobe: Kobe, duh (huge lead)
Brewer is a good defender and might slow Kobe down a bit, but there's no chance he can stop him from getting at least 20 points a game.
PG: D-Will vs. Fish: Williams (huge, but not as huge lead)
Fisher's an excellent veteran, but D-Will is insane. Not only will he score, he'll make everyone else better.
The Bench: AK vs. Odom: TIE
They are somewhat similar players who would start on most teams. Odom has had more big games, but AK's an excellent team defender. Interesting matchup.
Harpring vs. Ariza: Ariza
Harpring's a great physical player, but he's getting older and slower, so I give the slight nod to Ariza.
Korver vs. Vujacic: Korver
If either one of them catches fire, they will wreak havoc on the other team. Korver's a bit more consistent than Vujacic though.
Knight vs. Farmar: Farmar
Knight's a great facilitator in place of Williams, but his scoring is almost nonexistant. Farmar can pass and hit a shot.
Millsap vs. ?: Millsap
I don't think there are really any other players that could significantly determine the series, so Millsap stands alone. The Lakers dont quite have the depth at large positions that Millsap provides.
The number of match-up victories is pretty even. The Jazz are slightly deeper, but in the end, this comes down to Kobe and Deron. As long as everyone else fulfills their role, it will end up on their shoulders. Kobe's a better player, but whenever Deron has the ball, 5 players are in a position to score.
Personally (and begrudgingly) I give the series to the Lakers roughly 65% of the time - good, but not invincible odds.

FaceDown91
03-09-2009, 05:17 PM
This years playoffs will probably be like the 2006 playoffs where everyone was expecting a Detroit and San Antonio rematch as they had the best records and both teams got knocked off.

Honestly to me the Rockets have the best chance to beat the Lakers in the playoffs out west because they have 2 different guys who are good defenders that can slow down Kobe and have him shoot bad shots.

are we talking about reality or a video game?

montazingmvp
03-09-2009, 06:07 PM
the lakers beat the jazz last year. but millsap is a possible MIP and brewer and williams have improved...i think it would go game 7 to the lakers, who knows?

montazingmvp
03-09-2009, 06:10 PM
Interesting matchup, because both teams are incredibly deep. You can't just compare starting lineups, but I'll try a comparison anyway.
Memo's not physical enough to stop Bynum, and Bynum's not fast enough to guard Memo from downtown. This could easily turn into a score-fest at this position.
Everyone will argue with me, but these are really two of the top caliber power forwards in the league. Boozer's a bit better at scoring and rebounding, but Pau is a better defender. if either one catches fire though, watch out.
Neither team relies a lot on this position. CJ can score more points, but is much more inconsistent. CJ's scoring average is a bit higher, so I give him the nod, but I doubt the series will rest on how well these guys do.
Brewer is a good defender and might slow Kobe down a bit, but there's no chance he can stop him from getting at least 20 points a game.
Fisher's an excellent veteran, but D-Will is insane. Not only will he score, he'll make everyone else better.
They are somewhat similar players who would start on most teams. Odom has had more big games, but AK's an excellent team defender. Interesting matchup.
Harpring's a great physical player, but he's getting older and slower, so I give the slight nod to Ariza.
If either one of them catches fire, they will wreak havoc on the other team. Korver's a bit more consistent than Vujacic though.
Knight's a great facilitator in place of Williams, but his scoring is almost nonexistant. Farmar can pass and hit a shot.
I don't think there are really any other players that could significantly determine the series, so Millsap stands alone. The Lakers dont quite have the depth at large positions that Millsap provides.
The number of match-up victories is pretty even. The Jazz are slightly deeper, but in the end, this comes down to Kobe and Deron. As long as everyone else fulfills their role, it will end up on their shoulders. Kobe's a better player, but whenever Deron has the ball, 5 players are in a position to score.
Personally (and begrudgingly) I give the series to the Lakers roughly 65% of the time - good, but not invincible odds.

good analysis. but you're not taking into consideration that bynum will not be in game shape and will not be as good as he was previous to the injury. he won't have much time to get his game back

Baller1
03-09-2009, 06:16 PM
I hope we get to see this series again this year, because besides the Finals, this was the most entertaining series last year.

Baller1
03-09-2009, 06:18 PM

Great, non-biased post. I agree completely.

leftymo
03-09-2009, 06:20 PM
okur does have a prayer on bynum. he'll make him pay as much as bynum will hook shot his way to score. Okur shoots at the 3 point line, spreads the floor for slashers like ronnie. plus his clutch too, you need a body on him and bynum is just too slow to go in and out.

You do realize that Bynum would guard Boozer. Pau is agile enough to play out top. Boozer's effectiveness would be magnified b/c he wouldn't post up Bynum.

But Jazz fans should be more concerned with winning on the road than matchups. Because they have no shot unless they win road games.

leftymo
03-09-2009, 06:24 PM

That was a great analysis. Too bad it hasn't translated. The Jazz have twice as many losses this year, are not the defending conference champion and will not have home court. On paper its nice, but when the game is on the line... kobe/fish/phil have proven it time and time again. Boozer/Deron/Sloan? not so much.

lakerboy
03-09-2009, 06:32 PM
Lakers 65% favorites against the Jazz?

Are you kidding me? At Utah, it's 50-50. But in LA., it's more like 85-15.

I'm serious. Just watch the games. It gets competitive when they play in Utah. When they bring their A game (which only happens in Utah), they are 50-50.,. at best.

In LA, they just have no shot.

montazingmvp
03-09-2009, 06:35 PM

are you dellusional, boozer is a much better player than bynum

montazingmvp
03-09-2009, 06:39 PM
That was a great analysis. Too bad it hasn't translated. The Jazz have twice as many losses this year, are not the defending conference champion and will not have home court. On paper its nice, but when the game is on the line... kobe/fish/phil have proven it time and time again. Boozer/Deron/Sloan? not so much.

have you been in acoma for the entire season. do you think the reason the jazz have twice as many losses has something to do with all of the injuries they've had. way more than the lakers.

do you think its a coincidence that when they get healthy they all of a sudden go on an 11 game winning streak

Ollie Tabooger
03-09-2009, 06:55 PM

aaron brooks is better than all those guards combined

KmB728
03-09-2009, 07:10 PM
I do believe that the Jazz can beat the Lakers in the playoffs... anything can happen in a 7 game series

jimbobjarree
03-09-2009, 07:13 PM
Lakers 65% favorites against the Jazz?

Are you kidding me? At Utah, it's 50-50. But in LA., it's more like 85-15.

I'm serious. Just watch the games. It gets competitive when they play in Utah. When they bring their A game (which only happens in Utah), they are 50-50.,. at best.

In LA, they just have no shot.

nah, in the playoffs last season it was 60-40 to the lakers, maybe a lil more. We started awfully, but we closed you right down to 3 or 4 with a couple minutes left, every game in the series was pretty close in the clutch. In Utah the Jazz have the advantage, its definatly not 50-50. If we can sort out our starts against you at the staples we have a real chance this year.

ReymanEjazzfan
03-09-2009, 07:41 PM
the jazz's record this year is what it is because we have had the most injuries out of any team in the league! now that we are healthy our record is going to be one of the best after the all start break. hopefully it will carry into the playoffs and there can be another exciting series between the jazz and lakers

futureman
03-09-2009, 08:43 PM
If the Jazz can beat the Lakers on the road I will have to say yes. But after we get our 2010 unprotected draft pick and if we keep all the key players together, LA won't stand a chance against us in the next 3 years.

nd4T.O.
03-09-2009, 08:52 PM
If the Jazz can beat the Lakers on the road I will have to say yes. But after we get our 2010 unprotected draft pick and if we keep all the key players together, LA won't stand a chance against us in the next 3 years.

hahahahahha right

SF25
03-09-2009, 08:54 PM
I think they could beat them but since the answers are worded "would win" I voted Lakers.

gqjatt209
03-09-2009, 09:00 PM
Utah should beat the Lakers this year. If Jazz are 100% healthy, they will beat the Lakers.

stensley
03-09-2009, 09:08 PM
As long as the Lakers have home court advantage....advantage Lakers!!!!

showtym24
03-09-2009, 09:20 PM

Naw one of them games that was in LA we beat yall by 30.

montazingmvp
03-09-2009, 09:49 PM
the jazz's record this year is what it is because we have had the most injuries out of any team in the league! now that we are healthy our record is going to be one of the best after the all start break. hopefully it will carry into the playoffs and there can be another exciting series between the jazz and lakers

you've had injuries but not even close to the amount the clippers of warriors have

Utahjazzfan18
03-09-2009, 10:08 PM

The Rockets are probably one of the teams the Lakers are least worried about. You guys match up really well against alot of teams but not L.A. imo. I would say the Jazz have the best chance followed by the Spurs and Hornets.

The biggest factors to Utah losing last year was fouling Kobe every time he shot and slow starts. If they just contest his shots and dont send him to the line all night, our chances go up dramatically.

NYMetros
03-09-2009, 10:09 PM
Absolutely I think the Jazz could beat the Lakers in the playoffs.

Playing in their arena is extremely tough. It is near the top of the most hostile places in all of the NBA. Every time the Lakers went down there to play, it would be a dog fight. Kind of like earlier in the year when the Lakers went to Utah and lost right before all star weekend -- which may also have been a product of the players looking ahead to the break, but for the sake of my argument, I am using this.

The Jazz are one of the better defensive teams in the league. They also foul a lot, which explains why you cannot get any easy baskets on them. Kobe will always be a mismatch for any team, but Utah does a good job of containing him and making him take low percentage shots with their great team defense.

That isn't to say Utah is flawless on defense though, because they aren't. A good offense should be able to score pretty efficiently against them. Their real strength is their offense -- led by the best PG in the NBA in Deron Williams. Right now, they rank 6th in the NBA in offense -- and they haven't even been all the way healthy (although, who is fully healthy at this point of the season?) up to this point, missing guys like Boozer for an extended period of time and D-Will at the beginning of the year.

They have some lights out shooters like Korver and Mehmet, along with great penetrators like Ronnie Brewer and Deron, combined with solid inside presences like Boozer and Millsap -- who I fully expect to be a devil in the playoffs for opponents. Deron Williams is the key to the offense though. He keeps everyone's adrenaline down in the clutchest moments of games and has no problem taking the game winning shots. But he also has no problem burning you and dishing to a wide open shooter for the win. That is what makes him so dangerous. Slack off him, and he will bury the J in your face. Get up on him, and he will beat you and either take it to the rack and get fouled or make a good delivery.

The Lakers are the more talented team though. Their two 7 ft big men -- Bynum and Gasol -- are going to be a very hard cover for Utah. One of those two will have an immense height advantage over their man and will need to take advantage.

The Jazz could probably take it to 6 or 7 games and maybe take the series. I, personally, would love to see this matchup.

mrblisterdundee
03-10-2009, 12:43 PM
almost every rockets fan will disagree with you about what you said about aaron brooks. virtually every rockets fan thinks Aaron Brooks is an upgrade over Rafer Alston and feels that our team is better without Rafer Alston.

Good for them. Your team is still going to get another big injury and get beat in the first round of the playoffs.

Verbal Christ
03-10-2009, 01:11 PM
Good for them. Your team is still going to get another big injury and get beat in the first round of the playoffs.

when was the last time portland made the playoffs?

ottograham14
03-10-2009, 01:22 PM
Jazz healthy would be able to play with the Lakers. Don't see them beating them though.

Hanzinho
03-10-2009, 01:25 PM
Right Now, Utah Jazz is the best team in NBA...

theimortalone
03-10-2009, 01:29 PM
Yes! :nod:

DrDEADalready
03-10-2009, 01:30 PM
Yes they can beat the lakers in a series. We may have not made any "dramatic changes" over last year. but one thing has changed. our experience. given all the injuries we've had this year. our whole team had to step it up. and have gained experience. and our confidence is high. so we are better this year than last year + if we are still healthy again. Jazz could win the lakers. it'd be tough but we can do it.

THE_FLASH_21
03-10-2009, 01:39 PM

Yupp.... And Odom killed Boozer. I think he was the x-factor last year. Boozer was to slow to keep up. On the other hand.. Deron is much better, Milsap and Brewer have improved.... Jazz might have a chance because of how physical they are......

IMO the Lakers will win in 7.... I think each team wins in there home court..

THE_FLASH_21
03-10-2009, 01:42 PM
Absolutely I think the Jazz could beat the Lakers in the playoffs.

Playing in their arena is extremely tough. It is near the top of the most hostile places in all of the NBA. Every time the Lakers went down there to play, it would be a dog fight. Kind of like earlier in the year when the Lakers went to Utah and lost right before all star weekend -- which may also have been a product of the players looking ahead to the break, but for the sake of my argument, I am using this.

The Jazz are one of the better defensive teams in the league. They also foul a lot, which explains why you cannot get any easy baskets on them. Kobe will always be a mismatch for any team, but Utah does a good job of containing him and making him take low percentage shots with their great team defense.

That isn't to say Utah is flawless on defense though, because they aren't. A good offense should be able to score pretty efficiently against them. Their real strength is their offense -- led by the best PG in the NBA in Deron Williams. Right now, they rank 6th in the NBA in offense -- and they haven't even been all the way healthy (although, who is fully healthy at this point of the season?) up to this point, missing guys like Boozer for an extended period of time and D-Will at the beginning of the year.

They have some lights out shooters like Korver and Mehmet, along with great penetrators like Ronnie Brewer and Deron, combined with solid inside presences like Boozer and Millsap -- who I fully expect to be a devil in the playoffs for opponents. Deron Williams is the key to the offense though. He keeps everyone's adrenaline down in the clutchest moments of games and has no problem taking the game winning shots. But he also has no problem burning you and dishing to a wide open shooter for the win. That is what makes him so dangerous. Slack off him, and he will bury the J in your face. Get up on him, and he will beat you and either take it to the rack and get fouled or make a good delivery.

The Lakers are the more talented team though. Their two 7 ft big men -- Bynum and Gasol -- are going to be a very hard cover for Utah. One of those two will have an immense height advantage over their man and will need to take advantage.

The Jazz could probably take it to 6 or 7 games and maybe take the series. I, personally, would love to see this matchup.

I sure hope so... And I bet everyone would want to see this match up.. Everyone IMO would be rooting for UTAH cuz nobody likes Kobe.:)

pippsux
03-10-2009, 01:43 PM

I read the first sentence and lost all credibility for whatever you had to say. Are u really a basketball fan? Regular season is not a measure of guarantee in the playoffs. How can the Jazz, who are notoriously poor on the road, be considered elite? They are a good team, but elite, last year maybe, this year they are a good home team. Why isn't this in the Jazz forum?

Sidious
03-10-2009, 01:50 PM

Lay off the crack, son.

Basílio
03-10-2009, 01:51 PM
i'm a lakers fan and utah was my biggest concern in the west even before this winning streak

what54!?
03-10-2009, 01:52 PM
no but would be good series

Sidious
03-10-2009, 01:54 PM
Need I remind some of you that the Lakers beat Utah in six last year WITHOUT Bynum.

Swept Denver...beat SA in 5. We're a better team this year and the only hope a team in the west has to beat us in a seven game series is if Kobe gets injured.

theimortalone
03-10-2009, 01:56 PM

Seriously dude....What the **** drug are you taking? :pity:

There is no way that Brooks is better then D-Will, Billups, or CP3! Two things: Either you are either the worlds biggest homer, or you are on something!

ggg
03-10-2009, 02:45 PM

Nice analysis but you took off cross matchups into consideration.

Ak gon guard kobe eventually. Lamar will stay with boozer or even okur, that's a good matchup since okur got no post up. Etc, it really depends. Lamar matches so well with all their bigs so if he don't get in foul trouble he might play 40 plus minutes. With or without bynum.

Bucsfan
03-10-2009, 03:19 PM
it would be a good matchup, i think they could do it, but it would require amazing play, it may be pretty much the same team as last year, but with the death of LHM, brewer is playing better, D-will is becoming a super star i think they have the motivation...but the lakers are good

THE_FLASH_21
03-10-2009, 03:47 PM

I agree The Lakers would win in 7 but....Bynum would not be a factor.. Odom would.