PDA

View Full Version : How can we CHANGE NBA policies?

fairandbalanced
03-08-2009, 05:20 PM
I am sitting here, watching ABC sports and wondering, some NBA players should not be guaranteed pay. Then I thought, neither the NBA nor the players association is willing to talk about it. The sad news is that; those kind of concerns are only voiced in forums like this, but nothing comes out of it. I believe we are all passionate about the game of basketball and we should be able to do somethings to change it. What can we do to help shape the league? One thing that seems to hurt bad teams are contracts, therefore making them less-competitive i.e NY. If teams are allowed to cut players they don't need along with their salary without penalty, teams will have money to spend for good ones and it will help motivate lazy ones e.g Blount (plays like an all-star when his renewal is coming up), that way the league will be more competitive.

My Q is, how can we voice this concern to the NBA? or at least start the conversation amongst them.

Wilson
03-08-2009, 05:36 PM
That's a good question...

lakerboy
03-08-2009, 05:43 PM
I am sitting here, watching ABC sports and wondering, some NBA players should not be guaranteed pay. Then I thought, neither the NBA nor the players association is willing to talk about it. The sad news is that; those kind of concerns are only voiced in forums like this, but nothing comes out of it. I believe we are all passionate about the game of basketball and we should be able to do somethings to change it. What can we do to help shape the league? One thing that seems to hurt bad teams are contracts, therefore making them less-competitive i.e NY. If teams are allowed to cut players they don't need along with their salary without penalty, teams will have money to spend for good ones and it will help motivate lazy ones e.g Blount (plays like an all-star when his renewal is coming up), that way the league will be more competitive.

My Q is, how can we voice this concern to the NBA? or at least start the conversation amongst them.

That would be unfair to the players IMO. What if a player is injured,.. what if a player has a bad year,.. a lot of what ifs.

NBA players, as rich as they are, are still normal employees. They need job securities, etc.

IMO, the best way to avoid this is to cut the maximum length of contract years to 4 (both FA signings and extension signings)

superkegger
03-08-2009, 05:44 PM
I don't think that giving teams the ability to cut a player at their whim is a very good option. While I don't think it's "fair" that they make that kind of money, if teams are going to not take the necessary time to scout and know a players abilities, and they then sign a player who plays well in a contract year to a fat contract, tough ****.

When the product on the court no longer sells, team specific or leauge wide, that team or the nba is then forced to make a change.

IDB Josh M
03-08-2009, 05:47 PM
We're merely fans, and don't have a vested interest in basketball. Unlike owners and players, we can change our preference of teams at any time and at any moments. Owners and players however, do not have that luxury. While I understand your complaints, and agree with you, I think it is simply unfair for us to have ANY say in the mater when players and owners eat, breath, and sleep basketball.

And I'm pretty sure, your concerns are also concerns of the GMs and owners of smaller markets. The thing is though, a little thing called the NBA player's association. They would have nothing of it.

fairandbalanced
03-08-2009, 05:49 PM
That would be unfair to the players IMO. What if a player is injured,.. what if a player has a bad year,.. a lot of what ifs.

NBA players, as rich as they are, are still normal employees. They need job securities, etc.

IMO, the best way to avoid this is to cut the maximum length of contract years to 4 (both FA signings and extension signings)

Dude, if they have injury, that is a different case. I am talking about those healthy and not needed.

Wilson
03-08-2009, 05:52 PM
Well the way it works in the NFL, it's un-garuanteed contracts, but it's illegal to cut a guy if he's currently injured isn't it?

Obviously there would still be some garuanteed money in contracts, but I like the idea of being able to cut players without penalty.

fairandbalanced
03-08-2009, 06:02 PM
We're merely fans, and don't have a vested interest in basketball. Unlike owners and players, we can change our preference of teams at any time and at any moments. Owners and players however, do not have that luxury. While I understand your complaints, and agree with you, I think it is simply unfair for us to have ANY say in the mater when players and owners eat, breath, and sleep basketball.

And I'm pretty sure, your concerns are also concerns of the GMs and owners of smaller markets. The thing is though, a little thing called the NBA player's association. They would have nothing of it.

We buy the tickets, watch the game on TV (help ratings) we should have some voice.

superkegger
03-08-2009, 06:02 PM
Well the way it works in the NFL, it's un-garuanteed contracts, but it's illegal to cut a guy if he's currently injured isn't it?

Obviously there would still be some garuanteed money in contracts, but I like the idea of being able to cut players without penalty.

I doubt it ever happens. There's several players in the leauge who have non fully guaranteed contracts, but they tend to be smaller contracts, not big time ones. And with NFL players, the averae length of a career is so much shorter, and you can was out so much faster. You're just not going to see the NBAPA allow for teams to get that kind of power. Nor do I think they should. If you're going to give some of these guys the contracts they got, I just think its their own fault for bad decisions.

superkegger
03-08-2009, 06:04 PM
We buy the tickets, watch the game on TV (help ratings) we should have some voice.

That is your voice.

Wilson
03-08-2009, 06:12 PM
I doubt it ever happens. There's several players in the leauge who have non fully guaranteed contracts, but they tend to be smaller contracts, not big time ones. And with NFL players, the averae length of a career is so much shorter, and you can was out so much faster. You're just not going to see the NBAPA allow for teams to get that kind of power. Nor do I think they should. If you're going to give some of these guys the contracts they got, I just think its their own fault for bad decisions.

I can see what you mean about teams being made accountable if they make mistakes, but I think a system without fully garuanteed contracts would help the parity of the league, and make it more competitive.

I do think you're right that we won't see the NBAPA allow the league to implement non garuanteed contracts.

IDB Josh M
03-08-2009, 08:11 PM

Vote with your feet; don't buy the tickets, don't watch their games, don't be a fan. They'll get the idea.

superkegger
03-08-2009, 08:24 PM
Vote with your feet; don't buy the tickets, don't watch their games, don't be a fan. They'll get the idea.

Of course this is a double edged sword. As this is what happened post Jordan era to an extent, in come the rule changes that allow no hand checking, and make for playing good defense without fouling hard to do, among other rule changes.

JIDsanity
03-08-2009, 08:27 PM
Ask Obama :p

superkegger
03-08-2009, 08:39 PM
Call me crazy, but I think this recession might actually somewhat help the NBA. Maybe not, but maybe it will be something like how when a natural forest fire rips through a forest and creates new growth or whatever (ok so I don't really know a whole lot about it, just that it's sometimes good for a forest and natural). Maybe this recession will stop the overly lavish spending, and foster better and further reaching scouting, more carefully structured contracts, a lead to the NBA and teams to bring down some of the outrageous ticket prices, as well as make NBA games a more fan friendly sport, and not just a place for high rollers to see and be seen.

:pray:

bostncelts34
03-08-2009, 09:18 PM
I dont agree with that at all. If a team decides to make a comitment to a player, thats their choice. Live with the consequences, wether good or bad. If you feel they might screw you, dont give them a 5 year deal, do a 2. Also, its players lives you would be mesing with too..constantly cutting them and stuff. Its kind of like having a kid, your committed for at least 18 years lol. You cant be like..eh..i dont like your effort, ur cut. haha