PDA

View Full Version : Barbaro Canizares

Cubano
03-07-2009, 06:20 PM
You guys follow the Braves more than I do.

Is there any chance Barbaro makes the team? What are the Braves saying about him? I know Kotchman is the starter but any chance he makes the team as a bench player.

Thanks,

CrippledRam
03-07-2009, 06:31 PM
No...Norton is our backup 1B with Prado filling in too. He smashed that ball today though.

Jon93405
03-07-2009, 06:32 PM
His poor defensive skills and lack of versatility make is less likely he will make the team with guys like Prado and Norton capable of backing up Kotchman at 1B while having the ability to play other positions.

jmtapia
03-07-2009, 07:17 PM
cant see this happening...i like his bat but his defense sucks big time...

SilverAndBlue
04-20-2009, 12:35 AM
I don't understand why this guy can't be moved for more prospects at the minimum. It's like he flies completely under the radar. I understand his defense is pretty bad but there's such a thing as a designated hitter in the AL. There are many teams that could use a prospect putting up his numbers.

So far, this is his numbers this year

Year AVG. HR BB SO OBP SLG OPS

2009 .400 2 2 7 .426 .622 1.048
2008 .300 13 43 69 .353 .433 .785
2007 .344 3 12 28 .390 .491 .881

I'm not trying to make this guy out to be a hero but I just can't understand why he's so un-tradeable. We obviously have a guy ready to step in for Kotchman when he leaves in Freddie Freeman. Why not move this guy and get a younger prospect who plays another position

Jon93405
04-20-2009, 11:42 AM
I don't understand why this guy can't be moved for more prospects at the minimum. It's like he flies completely under the radar. I understand his defense is pretty bad but there's such a thing as a designated hitter in the AL. There are many teams that could use a prospect putting up his numbers.

So far, this is his numbers this year

Year AVG. HR BB SO OBP SLG OPS

2009 .400 2 2 7 .426 .622 1.048
2008 .300 13 43 69 .353 .433 .785
2007 .344 3 12 28 .390 .491 .881

I'm not trying to make this guy out to be a hero but I just can't understand why he's so un-tradeable. We obviously have a guy ready to step in for Kotchman when he leaves in Freddie Freeman. Why not move this guy and get a younger prospect who plays another position

If he continues to hit .400, he could be tradeable.

However, going into the season, he was a 29 year old player without a position, no speed and modest power. Most organizations have a guy like him in their minor leagues so there's no real reason to trade for him.

Dallas McPherson was released by the Marlins and signed a minor league deal with an NL team. If there was an AL team looking for a DH type prospect, they could have signed him since he hit 42 HRs last year in AAA in less than 450 ABs.

It's too bad he can't just focus on improving his defense because that's really what's holding him back from being a major leaguer.

nps6724
04-20-2009, 12:29 PM
How bad is the guy's D, really? ADAM DUNN has been in the majors for a while now and his defense hasn't ever even been below-average.

redwhiteandblue
04-20-2009, 12:36 PM
Adam Dunn's also a lock for 40 HR's. He's the only guy to hit at least 40 in the past 4 9maybe 5, but I think 4) seasons. Plus I think despite his moderately high K numbers he walks a good amount and has a great OBP. If this guy was projected to put up Dunn numbers they'd overlook his defense too I'm sure.

nps6724
04-20-2009, 12:37 PM
Adam Dunn's also a lock for 40 HR's. He's the only guy to hit at least 40 in the past 4 9maybe 5, but I think 4) seasons. Plus I think despite his moderately high K numbers he walks a good amount and has a great OBP. If this guy was projected to put up Dunn numbers they'd overlook his defense too I'm sure.

Good points.

Jon93405
04-20-2009, 04:19 PM
Plus Dunn has the ability to play OF and 1B. Not well, but at least they can slide him to where the team needs him most. In the case of the Nats, they have several OFers and Nick Johnson. If Kearns, Milledge and Dukes all played really well, Dunn could go to first, but Nick Johnson is tearing it up and Milledge was sent down, so Dunn can shift to the OF.

With Barbaro, he's a first baseman, and only a first baseman and a poor one at that. Last season he commited 7 errors in only 66 games at 1B for Richmond for a .987 fielding percentage. Comparing that with 24 MLB first baseman with at least 800 innings of defense, Barbaro would have ranked dead LAST in fielding percentage.

So yes, his defense is that bad.

CrippledRam
04-20-2009, 08:23 PM
You gotta think, there are only 15 DH jobs in baseball. At least half of those are locked down by really good guys.

jmtapia
04-20-2009, 08:32 PM
i think canizares takes over for Norton as our 1B back up next year...

SilverAndBlue
04-21-2009, 01:18 AM
it's not even that he has to replace a DH on a MLB team, why aren't AL teams interested in him as a minor league prospect.

BRAVE KID
04-21-2009, 01:35 AM
it's not even that he has to replace a DH on a MLB team, why aren't AL teams interested in him as a minor league prospect.maybe b/c they don't really feel the need to acquire him. He may have slight interest from some teams but I don't think it would be to the point where they would give up value to get him, that would be earned when he has actually done something in the majors I suppose or if he puts on a show with either the AVG or power in the minors. He really has to pop some amazing numbers all around in order to get teams calling for the 29 year old prospect.

vtgriff09
04-21-2009, 08:10 AM
I've seen Canizares play a good number of times. Yes, he can hit the baseball. Problem is, minor league talent is all about upside.....not numbers (unfortunate that it is this way, but that's the way the minors are managed).

Reality is: Canizares is a good hitter that doesn't really possess the consistent pop of someone his size. He's not fast enough to be a .300 hitter with only a career high of 13 hrs. Defensively, he's not good at all. I've watched this guy play 1B atleast 40 times, and i've seen high school mistakes out of him. He's so large that he could be considered over weight. Until he flashes CONSISTENT power (and that means ability for him to hit the long ball)....then the braves won't be able to get anything of substance for him. I like him as a ballplayer, he just doesn't have a huge upside.

SilverAndBlue
04-21-2009, 11:15 AM
29 isn't that old. Many players now play until they're 40. I'm just shocked that something can't be done with the guy. Why didn't the Braves bring him in for Spring Training and build value? Why didn't they bring him in the previous year when they knew Teixara would be gone so that they could potentially build value for him?

I guess there's just a lot about management in baseball I don't understand. I'm a die hard football fan and can make sense of trades, etc. I've always played and watched baseball but I can't understand many things when it comes to management. It's strange to me that draft picks aren't traded for MLB players. It's strange that they bring in Freeman over Canizares in spring training knowing full well Freeman wouldn't be brought in to play at the MLB level this year. If Kotchman goes down, Prado moves to first. I guess I just don't get a lot of it.

Jon93405
04-21-2009, 01:27 PM
29 isn't that old.

For a guy who hasn't played MLB... 29 sure is old. He's only had 1000 AB's as a minor leaguer... and as a 28 year old, at the AAA level, he only hit .300 with 13 HR's. Good for a SS, but he's a positionless player.

Why didn't the Braves bring him in for Spring Training and build value?

Maybe he deserved to come to spring training, but even a solid spring wouldn't have done much of a difference to increase his trade value.

Why didn't they bring him in the previous year when they knew Teixara would be gone so that they could potentially build value for him?

Not sure what you mean by this. If you mean, to prepare him to win the 1B job, he still couldn't play defense, and he had 500 minor league AB's. If you meant to increase his trade value, he was even less valuable back then than he is now. They brought Heyward and Freeman to camp because they are potential super stars and it was more of management getting a look at them than trying to win a job.

I'm just shocked that something can't be done with the guy.

Something could be done with him... he could have worked his butt off to improve his defense in the off season. Evidently it didn't happen and he's willing to be a bat with no glove. Sometimes the ball is in the player's court.

It's easy as a Braves fan to see a player who can hit in the minor leagues and want to get something out of him. However, he could be the worst defensive first baseman in the major leagues if he played there on a regular basis.

Imagine if we traded a young prospect to another team for a 29 year old 3rd baseman like Canizares who couldn't play defense, but would provide insurance for Chipper. We'd be calling for Frank Wren's execution.

vtgriff09
04-22-2009, 08:11 AM
I think the reason he doesn't come up for spring training was that you have Norton, Prado (plays some 1st), Kotchman and Freeman. The reason you bring Freeman up is because he is a blue chipper. He's a guy that you want to get the club used to, meet all the mlb players.....get to know the league.....adjust to the pitching......you have to give him a sense of how hard he is going to have to work to compete every day at the MLB level. If you are investing a huge future in him......you do these things for him over a 29 yr old 1B that can't play defense.

SilverAndBlue
04-22-2009, 09:36 AM
I guess that makes a little sense vtgriff

Half-Truism
05-17-2009, 12:28 PM
http://www.rotowire.com/baseball/player.htm?id=9137

He's 29 and needs a call-up. He's hitting 7 HR's and 23 RBI's in 139 AB's. He's also hitting .331 with an OBP of .390 and an OPS of .944. Not sure if he's the power hitter that everyone wants but would be a nice addition for now. He plays in the Outfield and 1st Base, maybe whenever Kotchman needs a day off. Its worth a try.

BRAVE KID
05-17-2009, 12:42 PM
the only way I see the guy getting here is if norton is released. Norton's only role is pinch hitting anyway and that is what his role would be.