PDA

View Full Version : Superstar Extensions This Summer?

IndiansFan337
03-07-2009, 01:29 PM
Here is something to keep an eye on.....The salary cap is going down next season. That has already been announced.

Maximum salaries are based on the salary cap during the year in which they were signed.

Therefore, does player X sign an extension this summer in order to maximize his contract value?

If he waits until the following summer, the cap will have decreased again, and therefore the total of a maximum contract will have decreased as well.

This is something to keep in mind, even amidst all of the Summer of 2010 madness.

cmstophe
03-07-2009, 04:32 PM
Here is my opinion on this. Crap that gets uber-hype like Summer 2010 NEVER turns out to be worth the hype. The ending will anticlimactic with few superstars, if any, switching teams. In fact, I see some being extended this summer like you say.

mrblisterdundee
03-07-2009, 04:48 PM
I don't think any of these millionaires have to worry about money. They will probably sign with whoever they think puts them in the best position, whether that means staying put or moving.

IndiansFan337
03-07-2009, 04:56 PM
I don't think any of these millionaires have to worry about money. They will probably sign with whoever they think puts them in the best position, whether that means staying put or moving.

Well, if that is the case then expect a lot of turnover with so many good/great players being available. But personally, I think a good amount of them will remain with their current team if they offer them more money. But if you're right we could see 1-2 teams form a dynamic team, possibly a dynasty. Portland & Cleveland could be the two hottest teams at that point. It will be interesting to see if money speaks moreso than winning, especially when you factor in the current lack of desire there is to live in those two communities.

-Juice-
03-07-2009, 05:14 PM
Link to where salary caps are going down, because every year they go up.

hotpotato1092
03-07-2009, 05:16 PM
Link to where salary caps are going down, because every year they go up.

It's because of the economy, it's been announced but I don't have a link, the NBA isn't making enough money to increase the cap, the cap is based on revenue.

cmstophe
03-07-2009, 05:56 PM

That's what you'd think, and that's how NORMAL people like me and you think. But every day you see pro athletes do dumb stuff that will make them a few extra million dollars.

EDIT: Not saying staying with their current team is DUMB, I'm just making a point.

king4day
03-07-2009, 07:07 PM
It's because of the economy, it's been announced but I don't have a link, the NBA isn't making enough money to increase the cap, the cap is based on revenue.

I heard this also. Won't be official till after the season.

I don't see players like Lebron or Wade extending this summer since the "Max" might be worth more in 2010.

I can see Amare signing it though if Phoenix offers it to him. With the eye injury now, there's no telling how much longer his career will last.

b_rad23
03-07-2009, 07:29 PM
Until the CBA is fixed, the players will still make more if they wait until 2010 and then get the max. It may have some lesser stars not getting the max when they would have before but it really won't affect Wade or Lebron. It might hurt Bosh or Amare a little though.

superkegger
03-07-2009, 07:56 PM
Well, if that is the case then expect a lot of turnover with so many good/great players being available. But personally, I think a good amount of them will remain with their current team if they offer them more money. But if you're right we could see 1-2 teams form a dynamic team, possibly a dynasty. Portland & Cleveland could be the two hottest teams at that point. It will be interesting to see if money speaks moreso than winning, especially when you factor in the current lack of desire there is to live in those two communities.

Portland is one of the most desirable cities to live in in the United States....

ATX
03-07-2009, 08:04 PM
Portland is one of the most desirable cities to live in in the United States....

True, Portland is a beautiful place.

Lakers4ItAll
03-07-2009, 10:11 PM
You are Fn crazy, I have lived in Portland and it rains way too ****ing much I hated it.

superkegger
03-07-2009, 10:13 PM
You are Fn crazy, I have lived in Portland and it rains way too ****ing much I hated it.

Well, the growth rate of portland has been among the highest in the US, and is still growing even in this time of recession, and standards of living and happiness rating in portland are also among the highest in the US. It's a simple fact that Portland is rated among the best cities in the US to live in. Especially once we start talkin cities over two or three hundred thousand.

KeithLBC
03-07-2009, 10:16 PM

Portland is beautiful, but it does get a lot of rain and is rated the most depressed city in all of the US.

http://images.businessweek.com/ss/09/02/0226_miserable_cities/2.htm

IndiansFan337
03-08-2009, 11:43 PM
I heard this also. Won't be official till after the season.

I don't see players like Lebron or Wade extending this summer since the "Max" might be worth more in 2010.
It's not going to be worth more in 2010. I don't think Wade will re sign this summer, unless Miami take a step forward. He doesn't have very much around him right now.

Until the CBA is fixed, the players will still make more if they wait until 2010 and then get the max.
That is not true. Why would you say that. If the cap goes down, the maximum a team can offer goes down with it.

Not for a rich NBA superstar.

superkegger
03-08-2009, 11:50 PM
Touche.

Either way, I still don't think we'll see any of Wade, LeBron, Bosh, Amare, Dirk, Yao, Redd or R. Jefferson negotiation extensions this summer. Some because they'll want to test the 2010 Market, and others because their teams simply won't offer them one at this point.

I think Kobe will opt out, and resign a deal with the Lakers. I think it's likely that Pierce, Allen, Manu, and Joe Johnson might all sign extensions of some sort though.

The one situation that intrigues me is Nash. I believe the Suns have a team option on him, and call me crazy, but I would not be overly shocked if they declined to pick up the option on him. It would't surprise me if they picked it up either, but I really wouldn't be all that surprised if after missing the playoffs they blew that team up, and declined on Nash's contract.

IversonIsKrazy
03-09-2009, 01:21 AM
Vancouver is rated the best city in THE WORLD to live in. Multi-cultural, and beautiful views, amazing city. Too bad we aint gotta team...

IndiansFan337
03-10-2009, 10:11 AM
Just as I said...............

NBA.com link (http://www.nba.com/bulls/news/smith_090309.html)

ink
03-10-2009, 10:31 AM
I love it that 2010 free agency could end up being a major dud. After all the hand-wringing and anxiety over it ...

b_rad23
03-10-2009, 10:57 AM
That is not true. Why would you say that. If the cap goes down, the maximum a team can offer goes down with it.

It might not go down enough to be worth it. The decrease could be so slight that they still make more if they wait another year and opt out. They'd be giving up a lot of money to sign an extension as is. If the cap goes down a lot then I can definitely see it happening though. Interesting.

IndiansFan337
03-10-2009, 01:10 PM
It might not go down enough to be worth it. The decrease could be so slight that they still make more if they wait another year and opt out. They'd be giving up a lot of money to sign an extension as is. If the cap goes down a lot then I can definitely see it happening though. Interesting.

They wouldn't be giving up a lot of money to sign an extension. Their own team can offer them the largest contract, regardless of whether it is via an extension or when they go to the open market.

ottograham14
03-10-2009, 01:23 PM
Can definately see Nash getting cut this off-season. Just see them finally ready to start the re-building process.