PDA

View Full Version : So now that the season is over lets talk draft

Pages : [1] 2

snow22
03-07-2009, 11:00 AM
Wouldnt it be nice to win the lottery or even get a top 5 pick i like teague from wake forest they say is is like a monte ellis would be a nice startin sg for us wut u guys think

T-O-R-O-N-T-O
03-07-2009, 11:30 AM
no i like gerald henderson

ramz.n
03-07-2009, 11:36 AM
teagues a point guard..i think we need to address our wing at the sg or sf position or at least add depth if we can sign an allstar or borderline.

snow22
03-07-2009, 11:46 AM
teagues a point guard..i think we need to address our wing at the sg or sf position or at least add depth if we can sign an allstar or borderline.

he is being considerd a combo guard like ellis not a true pg

snow22
03-07-2009, 11:48 AM
Another ? If we win the lottery who do we take do u think we would draft blake griffin i quess it would be r back up plan if bosh leaves ? Or do we trade it or draft someone else 1st overal

Shark
03-07-2009, 12:15 PM
I dont know much about the players in the upcoming draft. But will they be impact players right away? Probably not. This takes me back when BC first took over as GM and we got the 1st overall pick. There was speculation that BC would trade the pick but we all know what happend so it brings me to this, will BC use that pick to include in a trade that would bring a player to make an impact right away? Fans are restless in Toronto, we have seen a rebuilding team for the previous 10 years before BC came, and BC will not let that happen. I believe that unless BC thinks the player he drafts will be an impact, look for him to make some moves in the offseason that includes the pick. BC is a competitor, and he doesnt want to wait for the "sweepstakes" for 2010.

conway429
03-07-2009, 12:37 PM
I'm really not that excited about too many players in this year's draft, so I hope BC trades the pick and brings in a proven SG.

kantarok
03-07-2009, 12:37 PM
Gerald henderson looks like a more athletic anthony parker. I dont think he can create his own shot from watching him play but he might be able to fit in. Realistically if Marion signs the only two guys we can even think about are shooting guards like Harden and Henderson from this draft.

GodsSon
03-07-2009, 12:57 PM
If we won the 1st overall pick, im assuming we try to trade down. Having 3 natural PF's on the same team is useless, especially considering our need at the 2 spot. With that said, I would try to trade down to 2 or 3 and ensure we drafted James Harden; with him, plus hopefully some solid additions through FA or via trades, I'd say we can be a pretty lethal team in the East next year. Then again, I said the same thing last year, and look where we currently are:rolleyes:

MaHaRaJaH
03-07-2009, 01:05 PM
he's right^ we should be looking to fill the 2 spot and add depth.

HoopsMachine
03-07-2009, 01:27 PM
I like Teague or Henderson either of those players would be upgrades to our back court.

td0tsfinest
03-07-2009, 01:29 PM
no i like gerald henderson

After watching a couple of Duke games, Henderson has caught my eye. He's very explosive. but I have a feeling that the pick is going to be traded.

HoopsMachine
03-07-2009, 01:32 PM

I think if we re-sign Marion and sign Delfino we will address our issues with defense on the perimeter. That's why I would like to take Teague in the draft if we can grab him and put Jose on the block and see if he can net us a valuable piece.

ramz.n
03-07-2009, 01:48 PM
If we won the 1st overall pick, im assuming we try to trade down. Having 3 natural PF's on the same team is useless, especially considering our need at the 2 spot. With that said, I would try to trade down to 2 or 3 and ensure we drafted James Harden; with him, plus hopefully some solid additions through FA or via trades, I'd say we can be a pretty lethal team in the East next year. Then again, I said the same thing last year, and look where we currently are:rolleyes:

what if we drafted Hasheem Thabeet...and if Bosh decides to leave we have Bargnani at the 4 and Thabeet at the 5.:p

GodsSon
03-07-2009, 02:28 PM
what if we drafted Hasheem Thabeet...and if Bosh decides to leave we have Bargnani at the 4 and Thabeet at the 5.:p

I would still pick Harden because the 2 spot is our biggest weakness, and we still would have Bosh and Bargs for another year; so I'd say we fill our current most pressing need.

Kakaroach
03-07-2009, 02:43 PM
Yea Harden would be a good fit in Toronto. But man CB4 is not happy and the Raptors organization will have to do something to keep him around.

kidfury
03-07-2009, 03:03 PM
1st overall pick trade it for slightly lower pick or impact player otherwise take the best available player SF/SG

greg_ory_2005
03-07-2009, 03:08 PM
If Harden is still available at our pick, we gotta take him.

kanersen
03-07-2009, 03:44 PM
harden has been dropping actually on a few draft boards
i've seen him as low as 8th this past week
i'd love to get harden
aminu would be a very good consolation prize

LD V2.0
03-07-2009, 03:51 PM
No way Harden is there at 8.

kanersen
03-07-2009, 03:53 PM
stranger things have happened^

More shats!
03-07-2009, 04:01 PM
I would love to draft Harden but he is probably a top 5 pick and it would be a miracle if he is at 8th ,If he is there is no debate you take him.

I have not seen anyone talk about Willie Warren this kid is 19 year old 6'4 combo guard with long arms that can attack the basket and create his shat like few others.I see him like a poor man Dwayne Wade.I think he will be the steal of the first round.

Willie Waren - http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Willie-Warren-5157/

LD V2.0
03-07-2009, 04:05 PM
You think the Thunder would take a pass on him? For who, Brandon Jennings?

C_A_S_H
03-07-2009, 04:23 PM
we need Brandon Jennings
this guy game is proper

LD V2.0
03-07-2009, 04:26 PM
Does he make it past Memphis who is greatly hurting for a PG? Maybe they grab Jeff Teague? Both those guys would be great fits.

kanersen
03-07-2009, 04:39 PM
You think the Thunder would take a pass on him? For who, Brandon Jennings?

i think the thunder would definately pass on him for thatbeet
considering they already have a plethora of young allstar type wings in westbrook/green/durant
and they were after chandler and thabeet is that kind of player

IversonIsKrazy
03-07-2009, 04:39 PM
I luv DeRozan, hed be a great pick for us.

Kaze
03-07-2009, 05:18 PM
i dont have anyone specific that i like from this draft (since this is deemed as being a weak draft), but for god's sake, BC please get someone for the wing... can anyone recall when was the last wing player we drafted and actually set foot on the court? and i dont think pj tucker counts...

aman_13
03-07-2009, 05:25 PM
I would love to draft Harden but he is probably a top 5 pick and it would be a miracle if he is at 8th ,If he is there is no debate you take him.

I have not seen anyone talk about Willie Warren this kid is 19 year old 6'4 combo guard with long arms that can attack the basket and create his shat like few others.I see him like a poor man Dwayne Wade.I think he will be the steal of the first round.

Willie Waren - http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Willie-Warren-5157/

If anyone wants to see Griffen and Warren play, then you can seem them on ABC. There at intermission right now.

ChongInc.
03-07-2009, 05:56 PM
i dont have anyone specific that i like from this draft (since this is deemed as being a weak draft), but for god's sake, BC please get someone for the wing... can anyone recall when was the last wing player we drafted and actually set foot on the court? and i dont think pj tucker counts...

Morris Peterson

LD V2.0
03-07-2009, 05:59 PM

Joey Graham, 2005.

ChongInc.
03-07-2009, 06:05 PM
i say trade bosh for a money SG.
i herd t-mac is on the block. and he has a similar contract to bosh's.
then draft thabeet or griffin.

Starting Lineup
Thabeet/Griffin
Bargnani
Marion
T-mac
Calderone

WaterBoy24
03-07-2009, 06:08 PM
All I got 2 say is James Harden....
If u like Paul Pierce game...which I do...u love this kid...plus his lefty...just like ginobliiiiiiiiiiiiii....this is what this team needs...
Kid can play...plus his clutch...like Reggie...
:clap:

kanersen
03-07-2009, 06:32 PM
i was trying to find a good comparable Harden, a crafty scorer, not exactly explosive, good all around offensive game from the inside to the out, and peirce definately fits the bill

kanersen
03-07-2009, 06:33 PM
i say trade bosh for a money SG.
i herd t-mac is on the block. and he has a similar contract to bosh's.
then draft thabeet or griffin.

Starting Lineup
Thabeet/Griffin
Bargnani
Marion
T-mac
Calderone

Houston can't even give Tmac away at this point for free just to get rid of his cap number, why would we trade arguably the best young PF in the game for him

LD V2.0
03-09-2009, 02:59 PM
Rising:

Willie Warren, 6-4, Freshman, Shooting Guard, Oklahoma

While some college rookies have hit the “freshman wall,” Willie Warren has plowed right through it, stringing together a number of impressive scoring performances.

With Blake Griffin out for a game and a half with a concussion, Warren showed go-to scoring potential, shouldering the bulk of the ball-handling responsibilities for Oklahoma, knocking down shots in incredibly impression fashion, and slashing apart defenses with his terrific scoring instincts.

Warren is the complete package as a scorer, capable of creating his own shot with ease, burying 3-pointers from NBA range and recently showing more of a mid-range game. He is a superb athlete with an NBA body who gets great elevation on his jump-shot and does an excellent job running the pick and roll, finding teammates off the dribble and displaying fairly impressive court vision for a shooting guard—leave many to ponder whether he may be able to handle spot duties at the point down the road.

If Warren can continue to play well through the month of March and help his team make a deep run in the tournament, he could easily find himself in the top-10 when it’s all said and done. His recent benching for “undisclosed reasons” against Texas Tech is not a good sign for either Oklahoma or Warren, but all indications are that it was a minor infraction (reportedly being late for class on a few occasions) and that Warren is having a stellar year off the court. It will be interesting to see how this situation plays out, as Warren is for now saying that he is staying another year.
Hoopshype.com (http://hoopshype.com/articles/ncaa3_givony.htm)

Falling:

Earl Clark, 6-9, Junior, Small Forward, Louisville

Also very much a victim of the expectations created by the incredible talent and upside he so clearly possesses, Earl Clark has not done a very good job living up to the hype this season.

Clark’s shooting percentages are way down, as he appears to have fallen in love with his perimeter jump-shot, which is clearly not his strength. He’s also not showing very much toughness finishing around the basket, and is getting to the free throw line less, rebounding worse, and has been fairly turnover prone. Clark really hasn’t found a way to consistently make his presence felt offensively, not really shown a great understanding of how to best utilize his strengths.

Inconsistency has probably been the biggest issue, as on some nights it doesn’t really seem like Clark has come to play. He can be very passive at times, seeming to lack focus, and has been openly criticized in the media by his frustrated coach, Rick Pitino

Still, you can’t ignore the natural tools and talent that Clark brings to the table, as he’s still a superb athlete with great size and all kinds of mismatch potential on both ends of the floor, and considering his age, there is still a chance that the light bulb will eventually come on. He’s one of the more high risk/high reward prospects of this draft, but is still bound to draw interest pretty early on regardless.
Hoopshype.com (http://hoopshype.com/articles/ncaa3_givony.htm)

Murphy_Dee
03-09-2009, 03:32 PM
Harden would be an amazing pickup, but at this point we'd definetly be trading up to have a shot at drafting him. Unless BC's luck kicks in once again and the ping-pong balls bounce our way...

ramansingh3
03-11-2009, 01:29 PM
If he enters this years draft and we are in the position to select him, should we? He has alot of talent for a 18 year old player and played well for Spain during the Olympics. He certainly would be an upgrade over Jose on the uptempo side of things, but could create a log jam at point. They compar to Walt Frazier/Steve Nash not often you see that comparison.
http://www.nbadraft.net/players/ricky-rubio

LD V2.0
03-11-2009, 01:50 PM
He's not entering this year and the last batch of mock drafts I saw with him in there had him going no later than 3.

Raptor Analyst
03-11-2009, 01:55 PM
hell no raptors don't need this type of player right now it would be nice to have him but have more important positions that need to be addressed first

aman_13
03-11-2009, 04:41 PM
If the Raptors can get one of Harden, Warren, or Aminu, then it will be a successful draft.

randomness
03-11-2009, 06:00 PM
I just went to several 2009 NBA mock drafts and.. these are who they think we'll get with our 2009 1st round pick..

8th Earl Clark 13ppg 9rpg 3apg SF/PF
8th Gerald Henderson 15ppg 4rpg 2apg SG
8th Alfaroug Alminu 13ppg 8rpg 2apg SF/PF
8th Jeff Teague 20ppg 3rpg 3apg PG
8th James Harden 21ppg 4rpg 5apg SG
(stats rounded)
1.Who do you think we SHOULD get?
2.Who do you think the RAPTORS will get?
3.Who do you think is the most UNLIKELY to get?
4.Who do you think is the best player here?
5.Are these positions correct? If not, please correct me. Thank you.

RaptorsFanatic
03-11-2009, 06:13 PM
How many ****in times have we had these kind of threads, close it please.

blah-blah
03-11-2009, 06:50 PM
I just went to several 2009 NBA mock drafts and.. these are who they think we'll get with our 2009 1st round pick..

(stats rounded)

by the way were playing i think we may to get a the 3rd pick and possibly get james harden. But i think we most likely will get Demar Derozoan or Thabeet... most unlikely blake griffin. harden

More shats!
03-11-2009, 06:58 PM
I am really high on Gerald Henderson, if we can't get guys like Harden or Rubio to me Gerald Henderson would be a perfect choice.Good defender,slasher,good passer and a team player.

_Sn1P3r_
03-11-2009, 07:33 PM
I like James Harden from that list.

kanersen
03-11-2009, 08:53 PM
i love harden
he may not be the explosive type wing that we've all been yearning for
but he's a very crafty scorer

aminu is also very high on my list, and a more reasonable player available at around the 8 spot which is the range where we'd most likely be picking

snow22
03-12-2009, 08:49 AM
Teague could be a super six man 4 us something like terry is 2 dallas. Or curry as 6th man playn 1 or 2

LD V2.0
03-12-2009, 09:11 AM
They need to find a player for the starting five. Whether its by using the pick or trading it, this needs to happen. I would prefer them using the pick as thats the more economically sound route.

ksksks
03-12-2009, 09:44 AM
What we need

1. Quick first step SG
2. Defensive minded leader

raptor fan
03-12-2009, 09:56 AM
unless we are in a position to draft james harden, griffen, or jennings, i dont really like the other players at the top of the draft. maybe we could trade down to a team like minnesota, who have a ton of solid young players. maybe we could deal humphries, jawai + #8 for brewer and #18. at 18, we could draft a guy like derozen or budinger, who would fit in well in a run and gun system.

pdog416
03-12-2009, 11:26 AM
how about trading bosh for the #1 pick and a player (from team with the 1st pick probably Sac town), draft griffin and pick up a swing player from the team. I think Griffin could be a better complament to Bargs similar to Boozer and Okur. What do u think?

haircanada
03-12-2009, 11:46 AM
Seeing how Jose wont play the game style we want him to play, this offseason we trade him and parker for a slashing sg, and seeing how were about 8th pick so far in the lottery why not blow the rest of the season to get a better draft pick? The lottery pick we should take would be curry or teague seeing how we traded Calderon.

PG:Teague
SG:whoever we traded for or Joey Graham
SF:Shawn Marion
PF:Chris Bosh
C:Andrea Bargnani

looks pretty solid even with Graham
your thoughts?

Raptor Analyst
03-12-2009, 11:50 AM
Intersesting. I wouldnt say to blow the the rest of the season because as a pro i believe you should always give 100 percent but you do make some good points.

Raptor Analyst
03-12-2009, 12:03 PM
I dont know much about the players in the upcoming draft. But will they be impact players right away? Probably not. This takes me back when BC first took over as GM and we got the 1st overall pick. There was speculation that BC would trade the pick but we all know what happend so it brings me to this, will BC use that pick to include in a trade that would bring a player to make an impact right away? Fans are restless in Toronto, we have seen a rebuilding team for the previous 10 years before BC came, and BC will not let that happen. I believe that unless BC thinks the player he drafts will be an impact, look for him to make some moves in the offseason that includes the pick. BC is a competitor, and he doesnt want to wait for the "sweepstakes" for 2010.

I AGREE this makes an excellent point.

katman
03-12-2009, 12:35 PM
Draft the best player available....who can play some damned DEFENSE!

snow22
03-12-2009, 12:38 PM
How bout if sac wins the lottery
bosh
kapono
1st <blake griffin>
martin

i think i would do it if bosh tells us he wount resign

Nexus
03-12-2009, 01:10 PM

(stats rounded)

It's not likely that we even pick eighth. Isn't it like a 75% chance that we pick between 7th and 9th? We could easily end up 3rd or 11th. Assuming one of those extremes, I like Harden (for obvious reasons) and Thabeet. Assuming Bosh leaves, Thabeet compliments the **** out of Bargs. In an ideal world OKC would end up with the 2nd pick, we'd trade Bosh and the 8th (w/e) to OKC for Jeff Green and Harden essentially. Bosh wouldn't resign though, so highly unlikely. Then you've got major money for a bench and the whole on the starting roster. Back to seriousness though, we have the money while most other teams don't. If we could draft an impact player and then pay a free agent and our bench the rest of the extra money, we can turn this ship around EASILY.

raps14
03-12-2009, 07:25 PM
i think thet we should do this because i would be good for us rebuilding and for the other team getting a proven 20 and 10 year after year?

what do u think?

dtmagnet
03-12-2009, 08:08 PM
How bout if sac wins the lottery
bosh
kapono
1st <blake griffin>
martin

i think i would do it if bosh tells us he wount resign

Yeah and Sac will do it cus they'd love to lose Kevin Martin AND Chris Bosh when he leaves them in 2010 right?

6th man
03-12-2009, 08:35 PM
I like Earl Clark if we are in the 6-9 range

Mikeleafs
03-12-2009, 08:37 PM
I dont know if you guys mentioned it before or not but I wanted to know who you guys consider to be the top 2 gaurd available in this years draft in terms of scoring, leadership and clutchness (dont know if thats a word). Thanks

T bag
03-15-2009, 08:08 PM
Off the top of the dome,mabey Richard Jefferson i heard him and the bucks arent to thrilled with each other.Or mabey Tashon Prince.seems like the pistons want to disasemble and rebuild.

More shats!
03-15-2009, 08:15 PM
Prince would be nice, but there is no way we trade another first round pic or in this case a lotto pic unless we get a young star player back.Prince and jefferson are good players but they are not young all stars.

nads83
03-15-2009, 09:32 PM
i think earl clark is a good player but he lacks that killer instinct. aminu is a tweener and curry takes a high volume of shots. the recent play of derozen is something worth noting. hes a sf, period. hes athletic and exciting and i think we more than anything need some excitement in toronto. i say go with derozen. his stock might skyrocket but right now ppl have him going 15-20. i expect him to be top 10. clark might a solid role player but derozen has star potential. (both have high bust potential)

nads83
03-15-2009, 09:40 PM
I dont know if you guys mentioned it before or not but I wanted to know who you guys consider to be the top 2 gaurd available in this years draft in terms of scoring, leadership and clutchness (dont know if thats a word). Thanks

1.harden.
2.curry.

unless you think derozen is a sg. than derozen 2. and curry 3.

koreancabbage
03-15-2009, 09:48 PM
1.harden.
2.curry.

unless you think derozen is a sg. than derozen 2. and curry 3.

i would actually take Henderson before Derozen or Curry.

nads83
03-15-2009, 09:56 PM
i think henderson has a very short ceiling while curry's and derozen's are off the charts

koreancabbage
03-15-2009, 10:16 PM
i think henderson has a very short ceiling while curry's and derozen's are off the charts

well i think Henderson could be the most fundamentally sound player of them all. And he is a defensive freak. He is potentially a shut down defender at the 2 spot. He is just as athletic as Derozen and can shoot the ball from anywhere like Curry.

THUS they, experts and mock drafts, rank him higher than Curry and Derozen.

IversonIsKrazy
03-16-2009, 04:03 PM
Well our season is pretty much done, and i c us finishing 2nd from last in the East. W/ warrirs also having a better record than us. Meaning that 6 other teams will have a worse record than us in the league. Which puts us likely to land 7th pick. Obviously it could be different, but were most likely to land around the 5-8 pick. We need a wing. And these are the 3 that I think are the better ones.

James Harden
DeMar DeRozan
Al-Farouq Aminu

The weakness of each of them.

James Harden - The guy is BARELY 6'5
DeMar DeRozan - His shots is inconsistent, and 3-point is 19%.
Al-Farouq Aminu - They guy is really really weak. Can be shy sumtimes.

03-16-2009, 05:18 PM
well i think Henderson could be the most fundamentally sound player of them all. And he is a defensive freak. He is potentially a shut down defender at the 2 spot. He is just as athletic as Derozen and can shoot the ball from anywhere like Curry.

THUS they, experts and mock drafts, rank him higher than Curry and Derozen.

If we can resign Marion, I think our core is there - meaning we don't have to take a huge chance on an "upside" guy who more than likely will be a bust (Curry, Derozan...). Sure if the ping-pong balls bounce our way Harden would be perfect, but realistically, Henderson would be a great pick. Solid defense, great motor, improving shot and a proven leader.

carruthers32
03-16-2009, 05:35 PM
In this order
James Harden
Earl Clark
Al Farouq Aminu
Gerald Henderson
Demar Derozan

Johann
03-16-2009, 09:11 PM
i picked harden, but why dont we trade friggin bosh and somthin to memphis for mayo or gay and a first in 09 or 10 (high top 5 for sure). addreses our SG problem and gives us a chance at both harden and either griffin or rubio

Johann
03-16-2009, 09:17 PM
^^bosh n kapono or banks for mayo and 1st in 09 and 10 and milicic

IversonIsKrazy
03-16-2009, 10:09 PM
THE DREAM.

End up w/ 1st pick and draft Blake Griffin
Trade Bosh for Rip + Amir
Marion walks. Dont re-sign Jawaii, Jake & POB.
Re-sign Pops, Joey & AP18.
We sign Odom and Joel Anthony.
Sign Flip Saunder as Head Coach, Keep Jay T as Assistant.

PG: Calderon/Ukic
SG: Rip/AP18/Kapono
SF: LO7/Joey
PF: Griffin/Joel/Hump
C: Bargs/Joel

IversonIsKrazy
03-16-2009, 10:14 PM
oorrr another Dream is.

Draft Griffin.
Trade Bosh for Kevin Martin + filler.
Re-sign Marion, Pops, AP18.
Dont re-sign Jawaii, Jake & POB.
Trade Calderon & Joey 4 Nash.
Sign Joel Anthony & Will Solomon.
Sign Avery Johnson as HC, and keep JT as AC.

PG: Nash/Ukic/Solomon
SG: K9/AP18
SF: Matrix/Kapono
PF: Griffin/Pops/Hump
C: Bargs/Joel

IversonIsKrazy
03-16-2009, 10:14 PM
but well draft, if we can get James Harden, we gotta get him. Otherwise i like DeMar DeRozan.

carruthers32
03-17-2009, 12:37 AM
i think earl clark is a good player but he lacks that killer instinct. aminu is a tweener and curry takes a high volume of shots. the recent play of derozen is something worth noting. hes a sf, period. hes athletic and exciting and i think we more than anything need some excitement in toronto. i say go with derozen. his stock might skyrocket but right now ppl have him going 15-20. i expect him to be top 10. clark might a solid role player but derozen has star potential. (both have high bust potential)

i agree with clark and curry thoughts, although I disagree that aminu is a tweener. he is a prototypical sf, 6-8 range, long arms, good rebounder and a great ballhandler. also demar derozan scares me with his potential to be a bust. is he gonna be like vince carter/andre iguoldala or gerald green?

kantarok
03-17-2009, 06:27 AM
If he enters this years draft and we are in the position to select him, should we? He has alot of talent for a 18 year old player and played well for Spain during the Olympics. He certainly would be an upgrade over Jose on the uptempo side of things, but could create a log jam at point. They compar to Walt Frazier/Steve Nash not often you see that comparison.
http://www.nbadraft.net/players/ricky-rubio

No way. I am tired of these Spanish and and european players. They have no defense or lateral quickness. they are completely garbage and should not be in the NBA. His tricks are not going to work in this league. The players are too athletic here. I dont care who compares to Nash. If they were to have counted Nashs defence in those MVP voting polls then, he would have never won that award.

koreancabbage
03-17-2009, 09:10 AM
No way. I am tired of these Spanish and and european players. They have no defense or lateral quickness. they are completely garbage and should not be in the NBA. His tricks are not going to work in this league. The players are too athletic here. I dont care who compares to Nash. If they were to have counted Nashs defence in those MVP voting polls then, he would have never won that award.

haha, yet he is one of the greatest offensive weapons ever imagined during that time. he made everyone better offensively and they constantly outscored everyone BECAUSE of Nash. MVP stands for Most Valuable Player to any one team so everything is considered. his offense > his defense BY A LOT and it compensated for it.

koreancabbage
03-17-2009, 09:17 AM
Plus- why is everyone so high Derozen? he has potential but so does Henderson. and Henderson has the better shot and game. All Derozen does is dunk...?

if Henderson falls to us, i know BC will take him becuase he is the better player

in order Harden > Henderson or Clark > Aminu > Derozen.

People shouldn't be thinking of Derozen unless you have two first round draft picks (which i hope BC will get) and i know his stock has risen over the last couple of weeks but it seems to me that this guy cruises for most of the game and doesn't try.

all Derozen is limited to is dunking (no handles as well) and maybe defense (his team has a great defense in the NCAA so we wouldn't know his overall defensive schemes)

Jays Claw
03-17-2009, 06:23 PM
What do you guys think of DeMar DeRozan...?

Now I know he is a SG but he can easily be converted into a SF. DeRozan is an Athletic Beast. He gets to the rim with force, has a Decent jump shot and has above average ball handling skills. DeMar DeRozan is currently playing for USC.

dirtybird
03-17-2009, 07:04 PM
I haven't watched any NCAA basketball this year, but he'll be one of the players I'll be looking at come March Madness.

Kakaroach
03-17-2009, 07:31 PM
I haven't watched any NCAA basketball this year, but he'll be one of the players I'll be looking at come March Madness. Same here. He looks like a potential beast. Good pick-up for the Raps if Marion leaves.

SpeedyRecovery
03-17-2009, 07:40 PM
i don't know if a guy straight out of compton would want to come play in toronto. clearly something bc would have to look into!

kantarok
03-17-2009, 07:41 PM
he aint too good. I feel like if we wanted someone like him we would have got gerald green along time ago

greg_ory_2005
03-17-2009, 07:42 PM
He's got loads of talent, but seems like too much of a risk. I'd definitely prefer Aminu over him, if I had to choose 1.

kanersen
03-17-2009, 08:49 PM
i'd choose aminu over him as well^
guy has a boatload of talent, but honestly, outside his last two games.....he's done as little as possible with the tools he has
i would not pick him with a top 8 pick
aminu has just as much talent and has showed more results

La11
03-17-2009, 09:07 PM
yeah I would take aminu over deRozan because he has better basketball IQ skills and DeRozan has just "potential. I do like watching DeRozan i have nothing against him at all I think he is a sick player but right now he can't really shoot and he is still a raw player. Oh yeah do you think the team that drafts him will sign lil' romeo on their team? LOL..and do you think USC will keep lil romeo scholarship when Demar DeRozan is gone to the NBA?

pauljames
03-17-2009, 09:27 PM
his ballhandling is not very good. He is a very inconsistent shooter as well. High risk high reward type pick.

IversonIsKrazy
03-17-2009, 09:47 PM
i like him. If we dont get James Harden, and its aruond 7th pick, i would draft him.

Kaptain Kanada
03-17-2009, 09:53 PM
yeah I would take aminu over deRozan because he has better basketball IQ skills and DeRozan has just "potential. I do like watching DeRozan i have nothing against him at all I think he is a sick player but right now he can't really shoot and he is still a raw player. Oh yeah do you think the team that drafts him will sign lil' romeo on their team? LOL..and do you think USC will keep lil romeo scholarship when Demar DeRozan is gone to the NBA?

What's the DeRozan/lil Romeo connection?

I missed that one.

ramansingh3
03-18-2009, 02:32 AM
what about budinger?

mpickup
03-18-2009, 07:55 AM
I love DeRozan ... the key for him will be how much work he puts into his jump shot. He has a decent shot now, but it will have to improve for his explosiveness to be truly effective in the NBA. That's the difference between Vince and Gerald Green (one of many differences I guess)

bartron_44
03-18-2009, 09:05 AM
I agree, we can't 'gamble' with our first round selection. We need a SOLID NBA prospect for our wing. Another name as I believed someone else mentioned, and I also think has potential to be a great Sf for quite some time is Earl Clark. He should be available I think where we are currently projected, and has like a 7'2 wingspan or something foolish. He's is a great athlete, and he plays for Ricky P at Louisville so you know he has got a good work ethic towards defense too....

For some of the same reasons, my second round choice, if he somehow falls to us (and with the depth at the wing this year he very well could...I don't even see him on most draft boards for some reason? He's a senior so I assume he is eligible....) from the same club as Clark I would take a long hard look at Terrence Williams. He is a rediculous athlete who attacks the rim. He's got good size to play the SG position at the next level, and has an NBA ready body. He's 6'6, 220 and averages 12pts, 5apg, 8rpg and 2.5spg in THE TOUGHEST NCAA conference (in 34 mpg).

These 2 guys have played prob some of the toughest competition this year of any of the NCAA players being in the Big East, and they came out on top. That says something to me...... these guys are WINNERS!

Of course if we somehow win the lottery like Chicago my choices would change...especially my first round pick.But as it sits right now, I would be happy if we came out with these 2 young studs after draft day.

On top of these 2 picks, I am hoping the raptors use our assets to aquire 2-3 more selections. Either 1 fairly 1 first rounder and another 2nd rounder, or 2 low 1st rounders and a second round pick.

Banks/Hump/Parker/Delfino/Kapono SHOULD all be either bought out, let go, or traded to improve our depth or aquire another SOLID starting SG. I would also throw in Graham in a sign and trade for an improvement at SG as well. I would prefer to do this with via the draft picks if possible. Somehow aquiring another lottery pick would be ideal, or at least another 1st round pick to go along with another high second rounder. The only other one I would consider bringing back at the right price to for depth on our bench would be Parker. Since he can play both SG and PG he has value, but only for the right price due to his age...Other players I would target instead of Parker though with the additional draft picks:

J. Teague - combo gaurg from WF, will prob go too high though to obtain

J. Harden - depending on how Arizona State does in the tournament his stock may fall low enough to obtain if we can get another lottery pick somewhere. Unless it is in the top 10 though, he will not be available for sure.

T Evans - This kid is a great athlete. He's another combo gaurd that has been moved to the PG position this season. All Memphis has done is string off like 30 wins in a row or something foolish since..lol At 6'6, imagine he was our starting SG...or even PG?

S.Curry - the best scorer in the country at the colleiate level. He has also been forced to play the point this year, but still put up almost 30ppg. I would let Roko go in a heartbeat if we could draft him as our backup PG. Davidson didn't even make the tourny, so his stock may fall low enough to obtain outside of the lottery.

I know we can't get all of the above, but if we could pick up 2 more of them the draft wouls be almost a total rebuild for our guards. Imagine we left the draft with a rotation similar to:

Barg's/Pops/POB
Bosh/Pops/Graham
Marion/Clark/Graham
Evans/Williams/Ukic
Calderon/Curry/Ukic

I think we would all be happy....thoughts?

koreancabbage
03-18-2009, 09:21 AM
i've watched some of his games and i totally agree with most of this. Although Derozen has improved his play a bit lately- here are some things to watch out for:

from draft express .com

Still a very limited ball-handler, DeRozan’s offensive limitations are pretty significant if trying to project him immediately to the NBA. He struggles to change directions with the ball and possesses very little explosion off his first step, making him almost completely unable to create his own shot. If forced to dribble the ball more than once or twice he is liable to get stripped or look out of control, although he’s doing a good job of not putting himself in situations where he is liable to turn the ball over. He is averaging twice as many turnovers as assists, which ranks him last amongst all top shooting guard prospects

The fact that DeRozan’s jumper doesn’t have much range (he’s shooting just 2/22 from 3-point range), he cannot play pick and roll, is not a great passer, possesses just an average basketball IQ, and his understanding of how to operate in the half-court is limited, makes him a clear-cut project for the NBA. The main question is, how much he is going to improve over the next few years? The answer to that largely depends on his work ethic and character, which draws strong reviews from those around him. Some teams are not that opposed to taking a player who obviously possesses great upside, especially once you get outside of the lottery. One GM we spoke to compared him to Gerald Wallace as a freshman, saying how he was even more limited a player at the same point in his career.

its going to be a couple of years before this guy develops.

LD V2.0
03-19-2009, 11:33 AM
Who's hot

DeMar DeRozan, 6-6, Freshman, SG/SF, USC

DeRozan was featured a few months back in the ďwhoís notĒ section, but he was absolutely huge this past weekend in the Pac-10 tournament, amassing 63 points and 27 rebounds in three games to help USC sneak into the NCAAís via the conferenceís automatic bid.

For his efforts, he was named the tournamentís most outstanding player, and likely gave his draft stock a much needed shot in the arm in the process.

The Los Angeles native looked about as comfortable on the floor as weíd ever seen, showing great confidence in his pull-up jumper in particular, and even knocking down a number of 3-pointersósomething that heíd been unable do consistently this season. With the game on the line, UCLA decided to send him to the line late in the semi-finals, and the freshman responded by calmly knocking down his free throws.

DeRozan is obviously still a project in everything regarding his ball-handling skills, but the fact that heís managing to be productive in a winning cause has to give scouts reason for optimism.

All indications are that he will be entering this yearís draft, and a strong showing in the NCAA tournament could push him back into the lottery, where he started the year on most draft boards.

Who's not

B.J. Mullens, 7-0, Freshman, Center, Ohio State

While other freshmen are easing into their roles at the collegiate level and improving game by game, B.J. Mullensí playing time dropped dramatically in the Big 10 tournament, where he averaged just 13 minutes per contest. He hasnít proven to be a consistent enough player in Thad Mattaís strict system on either end of the floor, and thus wasnít deemed to be trustworthy of seeing minutes in the most important games his team has played thus far.

When he was in the games, it wasnít hard to see why Mullens often draws the ire of his coaching staff. Heís a black hole on offense, sporting the second worst passing ratio in college basketball
, is very turnover prone, and is incredibly unreliable on the defensive end of the ball as well. Mullens lacks the awareness or basketball IQ needed to be effective in Ohio Stateís zone, often missing rotations and finding himself in the wrong spot off the ball. He forgets to box out opponents, gives up deep position in the post to undersized collegiate big men who wonít get a sniff from NBA talent evaluators, and shows very little hustle on either side of the ball. Once taken out of the game against Purdue, Mullens proceeded to sulk on the bench and then complain to the media after the game, which leaves very little doubt about whether heíll decide to return for his sophomore season.

Mullens is the poster boy for why David Stern instituted the age limit, as heís light years away from being ready to compete at the NBA level, even after a full season of college under a coach like Matta. Some team will likely draft him in the first round, or early in the second like DeAndre Jordan last year, but there are some serious question marks about whether heíll ever be able to reach his full potential.

Still, 7-footers with an excellent frame, hands and athleticism donít grow on trees, so itís not hard to see why he was so highly regarded coming out of high school.
Hoopshype.com (http://hoopshype.com/articles/ncaa4_givony.htm)

tyberrius
03-19-2009, 11:49 AM

I am thinking if we won the first overall, why not draft Blake Griffin. Sign/Trade Bosh to the Golden State Warriors for a package that included either Monta Ellis or Jamal Crawfore and maybe a Kelinna Azabuke? GS has a bunch of 2s and they need a bit more from the power forward position. This way the Raps get Bosh out of the conference, address the 2 situation and get a fresh power forward hungry to prove themselves in the NBA.

LD V2.0
03-19-2009, 12:40 PM
I agree to a certain point. If the Raptors win the #1 pick then they draft Blake Griffin. At that point, given the current economy and uncertainty about Chris Bosh, I see them dealing Chris. The important thing you fail to consider is that Bosh is not going to Golden State or any other basement dweller. He's going to a team he wants to go to. He'll have a list of desirable teams such as Miami, Houston and Dallas(all hypothetical) and it will be up to Colangelo to get the best deal out of those teams. Why am I certain it will go down this way you might ask? Well because if Bosh doesn't want to be here then he isn't going to sign an extension while he's here and he certainly isn't going to re-sign here. If he did that then he just lost all his leverage. He will stand pat and tell the Raptors these are the teams he likes and make a trade with one of them or he doesn't ink his name... He obviously would not want to walk but that doesn't matter, you don't play a game of chicken with a player on a magnitude of that level. All that matters is that the Raptors are not going to have free reign to make a deal with all 30 teams.

dirtybird
03-19-2009, 12:56 PM
If they drafted Griffin, I would certainly strongly consider trading Bosh. But, then the question becomes for who? There are only a very limited number of SF/SG available and I don't consider any of them being that good.

I think that we can safely exclude Wade, Kobe, Roy, Ginobili, Lebron, Durant, Granger, Carmelo, and Pierce from the discussion. That leaves a list that includes Kevin Martin, Redd, Igoudala, Brewer, RIP, Gerald Wallace, Kirilenko, Butler, Maggette, Stephen Jackson, Josh Smith, and Josh Howard. I would only be really interested in Butler, Kevin Martin (doubtful that the Kings make him available) and maybe Josh Smith. The point is that this list is hardly that great.

Quite honestly, the Raptors might be better off just seeing Bosh's contract through the end and do a sign & trade to acquire multiple picks/young players (with good potential) and maintaining cap space (presumably the team trading for Bosh would have a massive amount of cap space in the first place).

LD V2.0
03-19-2009, 01:01 PM
You think the Spurs wouldn't move Ginobili in a deal involving them acquiring Chris Bosh? Wow...Not that Ginobili is the answer for a team that's years away from contending. You need to accept the fact that the Raptors aren't going to get fair value for Bosh. Michael Beasley, Haslem some young pieces or picks would be a route they could take. Battier, Scola and some picks and youth could be another. Josh Howard, Jason Terry and picks would make sense. These are the sorts of deals I think you'll see talked about. The Raptors aren't nailing a Superstar for Bosh. Those sorts of deals rarely happen.

IF the Raptors can find someone nice in the draft then moving Bosh won't hurt nearly as much.

yungballah15
03-19-2009, 02:12 PM
raptors gotta consider a way of gettin james hardan he the type of shooting guard we need he can create his own shot and create for others but aminu i like but he a small forward and iunno if he can com in and start at small forward we need a shooting guard 2 start for us and play ball on a high level right when they get there but BC better draft a wing in the first round

kanersen
03-20-2009, 12:36 PM
aminu most definately wont be able to start at SF, he's still raw, not toally raw, but raw enough

he can be more then a capable backup for Marion though, and learn from someone who's touted as a best case comparison for his game

viveet
03-20-2009, 07:36 PM
Crazy phenom...maybe the next Lebron...

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/22/magazine/22basketball-t.html?hp=&pagewanted=all

Here are some youtube videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyhiJPIOSac

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ofN6ZRwhOA

LD V2.0
03-20-2009, 08:05 PM
Interesting article. The same sort of stuff happens here in Canada with young hockey players. The parents of these kids pretty much write off their own free time and sacrifice career in hopes of shaping a pro player out of their kid.

I know I will have children one day and I'll support them but six hours a day? That's obsessive... Ha, ha but she admits to being just that in the darn article to begin with.

dtmagnet
03-20-2009, 09:47 PM
I wouldn't mind trying to grab a late first round/early second round pick and getting Dionte Christmas, anyone else see him play today? He had a great year overall and he's got a solid and diverse skillset, he could develop into a solid backup 2 guard given a year or two.

viveet
03-20-2009, 10:38 PM

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/22/magazine/22basketball-t.html?hp=&pagewanted=all

Why the hell did this get moved to this thread? It isn't even about this year's draft. I think it deserves a thread of it's own.

dirtybird
03-21-2009, 10:30 AM

Way, way, way too early for type of discussion. A lot can change in 5-6 years and it usually does.

td0tsfinest
03-22-2009, 02:16 PM
forget harden...the last 3 ASU games i've watched he's struggled. And they were all important games:
Pac-10 Tournament finals he finished with 10 points, Derozan had 25 pts.
Temple he had 9(1of 8) and today against syracuse he had 10 (2 of 10). If Leo's sun can shut down Harden imagine him in the nba. I'm not saying he's going to be bad. But i do think he might fall down in the ranking.

dtmagnet
03-22-2009, 02:25 PM
Honestly Hasheem Thabeet has been the player I've been hoping we would get since the qualifying tournies started, something just tells me he will be a defensive beast once he grows into his body and bulks up his frame more.

Murphy_Dee
03-22-2009, 02:49 PM
forget harden...the last 3 ASU games i've watched he's struggled. And they were all important games:
Temple he had 9(1of 8) and today against syracuse he had 10 (2 of 10). If Leo's sun can shut down Harden imagine him in the nba. I'm not saying he's going to be bad. But i do think he might fall down in the ranking.

I think Harden's terrible performance in the tournament could be a blessing in disguise for the Raptors. I know players like Juan Dixon have gotten drafted way higher than they should have based on strong tournaments, so maybe the opposite could happen in this case and the nations top offensive guard could drop into the range of 6-8 where the Raps could snag him. I'd still love to see him in a Raptors uni despite the poor showing, and now a guy who looked like a lock for the top three might slip a little bit. Do you guys think that this is possible/would you still want him on our team?

More shats!
03-22-2009, 06:31 PM

Syracuse was playing zone defence most of the time so i dont think Andy Rautins shut down Harden.

More shats!
03-22-2009, 06:39 PM
I think Harden's terrible performance in the tournament could be a blessing in disguise for the Raptors. I know players like Juan Dixon have gotten drafted way higher than they should have based on strong tournaments, so maybe the opposite could happen in this case and the nations top offensive guard could drop into the range of 6-8 where the Raps could snag him. I'd still love to see him in a Raptors uni despite the poor showing, and now a guy who looked like a lock for the top three might slip a little bit. Do you guys think that this is possible/would you still want him on our team?

It is possible he falls but it will not be because of his poor showing in the tournament.Is going to be because of his lack athleticism and teams might get scared because of that.His draft stock will rise or drop in private workouts where he will have to go up against more athletic players like Gerald Henderson,Willie Warren and others.If he preforms poorly in those he could drop to 6-8 and even with his weaknesses and bad tournament i still want him because his talent is far better than any other 2 or 3 in this years draft.

Hughes+Tabata
03-22-2009, 07:50 PM
I would rank my fave 5 as:

1. Terrance Williams
I've been a fan of his for a while now, but I thought he could be had with a late 1st, now I think he is worth the top-10 pick we will have. Does everything(score, pass, rebound, block shots, plays D) and can jump out of the gym, if we are looking to push it he is the perfect player.

2. James Harden
I love the guy's game, does everything just not an elite athlete.

3. Demar Derozen
Complete freak, major upside, but will need time to develop.

4. Gerald Henderson
Another elite athlete, but his upside does not match up with the others. his game reminds me of AP's with more athleticism.

5. Evan Turner
I like his game, he's a big 2-guard with a smooth handle and good athleticism. Doesn't get much hype, I'm assuming because most think he is going back to school.

6. Chase Budinger
White guy that can jump, rebound, pass, and shoot. His game has improved every year, but seems to be a complementary player more than a star.

7. Earl Clark
Maybe the best talent in the draft, just madenly inconsistent.

LD V2.0
03-22-2009, 08:27 PM
I think that Chase Budinger is a best case scenario of Matt Barnes. Either way, he's not worth a 7th or 8th overall pick. Draftexpress.com has him going 28th.

kanersen
03-22-2009, 09:26 PM
i think Budinger will go in the lottery
doesn't mean i'd draft him in the lottery (which i wouldn't), but i think he'll go there
the more i see of Gerald Henderson the more i like his game
i can't shake the stereotypical duke fluke scenario when players go from college to the pro's, but Henderson is showing actual tools outside of just being a system player

snow22
03-23-2009, 09:46 AM
I didnt like him b4 watching dukes last game but now i m a big fan of draftin him henderson he is really explosive

Murphy_Dee
03-23-2009, 12:43 PM
It is possible he falls but it will not be because of his poor showing in the tournament.Is going to be because of his lack athleticism and teams might get scared because of that.His draft stock will rise or drop in private workouts where he will have to against more athletic players like Gerald Henderson,Willie Warren and others.If he preforms poorly in those he could drop to 6-8 and even with his weaknesses and bad tournament i still want him because his talent is far better than any other 2 or 3 in this years draft.

I agree, I'd take an elite scorer over an elite athlete on this team anyday.

GodsSon
03-23-2009, 12:48 PM
the funny thing is all 3 of our options on the poll have effectively been eliminated from the tournament...Harden had two bad games, while Demar had 2 good games, and Aminu played well in his one game...regardless, i think that Harden is our man, but if he isnt available at our spot at least we know we have other options.

More shats!
03-23-2009, 01:33 PM
I dont know why Gerald Henderson is not getting more respect, the man is a athletic beast,can defend,has pretty good handles,can drive to the basket and get to the foul line.Some say his upside is not great and at best he is a role player but i see a bit more than that, i think he is a guy that will have tayshaun prince type of career and numbers.He will get you 15 ppg, 5 rpg and 3 apg with great defence and a wining attitude that this team needs.

If we can't get James Harden or Rubio and Gerald Henderson is available i take him for sure.

LD V2.0
03-23-2009, 02:18 PM
James Harden hasn't decided yet if he's done with Arizona State.

The Pac-10 player of the year said Sunday that he hasn't even started to consider forgoing his final two seasons with the Sun Devils and entering the NBA draft, even though it's widely presumed he would be a lottery pick if he decided to turn pro.
Internation Herald Tribune (http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2009/03/22/sports/BKC-NCAA-Arizona-State-Harden.php)

aman_13
03-23-2009, 03:59 PM
I hope James Harden joins. Who does James Harden reminds you of in the NBA?

nads83
03-23-2009, 08:05 PM
hardens disappearing act in the tourney is reason enough not to draft him so high. he more than likely realizes he did nothing but worsen his chance to be drafted top 5. i think derozens stock has risen with his play in the tourney

nads83
03-23-2009, 08:06 PM
i checked nba draft net just now. derozen has sky rocketed to 6 :(

http://www.nbadraft.net/

koreancabbage
03-23-2009, 10:35 PM
trust me, after watching Harden and Derozen, i'm not sold on any of them. or Aminu for that matter.

Terrence Williams from Louisville got my attention if you want to grab a late first round pick. Also Earl Clark as well from the same team. he can be such a mismatch as a SF. has size and handles and developing shot. kinda worth looking at.

Henderson from Duke and Earl Clark are my go-to guys in the draft.

nads83
03-23-2009, 11:20 PM
henderson is too small for the nba 2 position. and id go jonny flynn with a late first

raptors wiseguy
03-23-2009, 11:33 PM
Say the raptors were in the position where both of these guys were still available.
I was just wondering which would you guys would rather draft.

I think that Rubio has more potential and from what I've seen can be an all-star pg. However the transition from Europe may be hard.

On the other hand, Harden seems NBA-ready. Hes not explosive but is crafty, and finds ways to score.

Both are good defenders.

I would assume if Rubio is drafted, Calderon would be eventually traded, unless one is moved to the 2 (highly unlikely).

GodsSon
03-23-2009, 11:37 PM
hmmmm, tough choice...i think i would pick Harden based on the fact we already have a PG, but Rubio in a Raptors uniform is very intriguing...cant go wrong with either though

LD V2.0
03-23-2009, 11:41 PM
You need to go with the best talent and the best talent just happens to have a game which fits Colangelo's offensive model and is compared to Steve Nash, Ricky Rubio. If they were fortunate enough to have to choose between these two guys that's the way you go and from there you worry about how to make it work after.

ChongInc.
03-23-2009, 11:41 PM
well now that Sam Mitchel is gone, they might actually put two all-star PG's on the court at the same time.
i never understood why he didn't do that more often, at least once a game.
it worked every time.
i would pick Rubio because i could see him being a player that would want to stick around Toronto. and it would reinforce the teams "euro" identity.

GodsSon
03-23-2009, 11:44 PM
trust me, after watching Harden and Derozen, i'm not sold on any of them. or Aminu for that matter.

Terrence Williams from Louisville got my attention if you want to grab a late first round pick. Also Earl Clark as well from the same team. he can be such a mismatch as a SF. has size and handles and developing shot. kinda worth looking at.

Henderson from Duke and Earl Clark are my go-to guys in the draft.

I would not oppose getting Clark with our pick, he's one of the 4 i'd be happy with seeing as a Raptor next year...one guy who i've liked for a while and could be a steal in the second round is Jerel Mcneal from Marquette, unfortunately though, at this point in time we dont have any picks in the 2nd round.

ChongInc.
03-23-2009, 11:46 PM
and euro does NOT mean soft
if you watch the games played in european countrys, there are barely any foul calls... they let the players play. they play a very very tough game over there

Rapsjaysleafs
03-24-2009, 12:05 AM
Has anyone watched Harden in the tournament?
I wouldn't be surprised if he does not enter the draft at all and if he does his stock sure will fall pretty far, which could be a good thing meaning we could get him.
Do we still want him after this though?

RaffyBoy
03-24-2009, 12:05 AM
rubio is not coming out until next years draft so there no point of comparing them two.

"But it's not that easy. Rubio has a complicated, multimillion-dollar contract buyout with his Spanish team, DKV Joventut Barcelona. NBA teams are allowed to contribute a maximum of $500,000 to buy out the contract of a foreign player. That means if Rubio seeks to leave Joventut, he could be forced to use most of the money from his first NBA contract to pay for the buyout.

"It's going to be very tricky," a Western Conference general manager said. "My understanding [has been] that he is not going to be in [the '09] draft."

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/chris_mannix/03/18/rubio/index.html

Ragun
03-24-2009, 12:18 AM
Has anyone watched Harden in the tournament?
I wouldn't be surprised if he does not enter the draft at all and if he does his stock sure will fall pretty far, which could be a good thing meaning we could get him.
Do we still want him after this though?

but he stepped up his game at the end of the game. thats the great thing about him. he can take over games when he wants.

More shats!
03-24-2009, 02:02 AM
In one hand you got a PG that has the potential to be one of the elite point guards in LG and in the other you got the best wing player in the draft that has the potential to be a 20 ppg, 5 rpg, 5 apg guy in the nba.The choice is hard because we are already committed to a player that plays Rubio's position(Jose) and we are in need of a wing creator like Harden.

Is hard but i pick Rubio because it gives you more options on the roster and allows the team to move Jose for a wing player.

I would be a happy man with either one on next years roster.

More shats!
03-24-2009, 02:20 AM
henderson is too small for the nba 2 position. and id go jonny flynn with a late first

How is 6'5 small for the SG position?

More shats!
03-24-2009, 02:24 AM
I hope James Harden joins. Who does James Harden reminds you of in the NBA?

He reminds me of 3 players at times Paul Pierce,Manu Ginobili and Brandon Roy.I am not saying he will better or even as good but i see similar games.

nearyG
03-24-2009, 07:02 AM
harden is the obvious pick but probably won't even be available when we pick...and there is too much of a risk factor when it comes to drafting Aminu, DeRozan and Henderson (who have been compared to Deng, Gerald Green and Dantay Jones) a they are potential bust candidates. I think if we are in the 8-10 spot we should look at Tyreke Evans. I think he is the second best scorer in the NCAA right now next to Harden but he can also play D. He may be a little undersized at 6'4-6'6 but this kid has proven over the last month or so that he can play with the best of them, and the tournament is only going to make his stock rise. He is very well rounded and brings a lot of the things the raps need from a wing player (scoring, willingness to drive to the rim, defense, toughness and he is NBA ready). Don't be surprised if this is who lands in T.O. as he seems like the perfect fit. Terrance Williams has also impressed me a lot in the tourney. As for the second round, Energy guys like Jeff Adrien (think Jason Maxiell. He is undersized but is an energy guy who defends and rebounds), AJ Price (I know we have Ukic but this guy has ice in his veins and can score any way he wants, think jamal tinsley without the attitude) and Taj Gibson (compared to an athletic Vin Baker, will be a solid contributor in the NBA, probably only as a reserve though) could be solid contriubutors off the bench and could be guys that surprise some people in the NBA.

Here is my top 5:

1) James Harden

Obviously is the best wing player in the draft. He can flat out score and is an obvious upgrade over Anthony Parker. Raps will be lucky to draft him but if they are lucky some GMs may pass on him because of his lack luster performance in the tourney.

2) Tyreke Evans

I really like this guy and think he is going to be a stud in the NBA. Unlike Harden, his stock has risen because of his performace in the last month and a half. He has an all-around game and is NBA ready and has proven he can lead a team at only 19 years old.

3) Al-Farooq Aminu

Between Aminu, Derozan an Henderson, I'd take Aminu. He reminds me a lot of Luol Deng and if you can remember BC drafted Deng fairly high before trading him to the Bulls. He needs to add some muscle and is the raps may be taking a bit of a risk but he has a lot of potential and is pretty athletic. I like him but I'm not sold.

4) Terrance Williams

Didn't know much about him before the tourney. But this guy has caught my eye. He is the heart and soul of the Louisville Cardinals and has done is all on the court. With the run and guy style that BC is trying to re-create in Toronto, this guy would be a perfect candidate to do the job. Not only that, he does it all (drives, shoots, passes, rebounds, defends and is tough as nails). A lot of scouts compare him to JR Rider which makes me a little weary but from what I have seen, I like him and think he would be a good fit on the raps.

5) Demar Derozan

I was really excited to watch USC this season with the hype behind this kid. His inconsistencies really bugged me and makes me think he may not be the Vince Carter type of player people want him to be. The though of comparisons to Gerald Green scare me. But during the tourney, he has been flat out solid. He is an amazing athlete with jaw dropping skills but needs to work on consistency, defence and shooting. I would only take a chance with this guy if I had to. The raps need someone that can help them now. As with Aminu, I like him but I'm not sold.

the life
03-24-2009, 07:04 AM
Rubio is not a pure PG, he is made from the same mold with Iverson but better distributing the ball. I would play him as SG and Jose as PG. Raptors would have an Snow Iverson tandem.

Rubio is an amazing talent. He seems to be faster than everybody else on court. When I watched him play it was like a grown man playing against kids. NBA is a different league but I believe he would be an all star.

North Yorker
03-24-2009, 07:10 AM
Both probably wont even come out so...

aman_13
03-24-2009, 11:13 AM
He reminds me of 3 players at times Paul Pierce,Manu Ginobili and Brandon Roy.I am not saying he will better or even as good but i see similar games.

I didn't think about Pierce, but Ginobili and Roy were the players i was thinking about as well.

bartlett2266
03-24-2009, 12:46 PM
Earl Clark Louisville

raptors wiseguy
03-24-2009, 10:33 PM
rubio is not coming out until next years draft so there no point of comparing them two.

"But it's not that easy. Rubio has a complicated, multimillion-dollar contract buyout with his Spanish team, DKV Joventut Barcelona. NBA teams are allowed to contribute a maximum of $500,000 to buy out the contract of a foreign player. That means if Rubio seeks to leave Joventut, he could be forced to use most of the money from his first NBA contract to pay for the buyout.

"It's going to be very tricky," a Western Conference general manager said. "My understanding [has been] that he is not going to be in [the '09] draft."

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/chris_mannix/03/18/rubio/index.html

From what i've heard...he will come out if he is assured that he will be a top 3 pick

this is because in order to payoff his buyout he would need a top 3 pick salary.

I'm not clear on the rules...can players announce their eligibility for the draft after the lottery is complete?

because i assume if the raptors win a top 3 pick that there will be a good chance rubio will enter the draft.

dtmagnet
03-25-2009, 04:40 PM
Pretty sure he'd go top 3 no matter how the lotto balls fall, a few mock drafts I read had him going #1 over Griffin, and if it were me with the #1 pick I would definitely take Rubio over Griffin.

kanersen
03-26-2009, 12:19 AM
if Harden's off the board, and presuming Griffen and Rubio are gone 1 and 2, i'd seriously look at Brandon Jennings. Small for a 2 guard but very explosive and pretty slick. He's like a better version of Jerryd Bayless.

i don't know who i'd pick realistically after Harden. Definately would pick Harden first if he's there, a Paul Peirce type certainly fits the bill for him.

Aminu seems like a mix of Deng and Marion, more like Marion in the defensive end, though not as good..and more like Deng in the offenseive end, though not as good.

Derozen has alot of tools, but he just screams bust to me for some reason. Then again, most woulda thought the same for Westbrook drafted by OKC with the 4th pick last year. To me Derozen is a similar type player, just more bigger and actually a sizable two guard.

Earl Clark is a ridiculous athelete but for some reason I think he'll suffer from Joey Graham syndrome the next 3 years atleast before he finally 'gets it'.

Henderson is actually quickly growing on me too. He's abit like Derozen, just not as much upside but his game is alot more polished. I've always had a bias against Duke players just because of their system but the guy has real NBA game right now.

I'm pretty confident that if Jennings played college ball he'd be considered at or above Harden's level at this point. I think he might end up being the steal of the draft if he goes where he's projected to go (near where we pick). Just because there's an unknown factor for scouts and GM's who dont see them going against other comparative prospect talent outside of the draft camp workouts.

In any case we do have alot of options all in the 5-8 range, which is where we'd be most likely picking. I'd say this draft has alot more depth then most critics are giving it credit for, and we should be able to get a difference maker for next season.

Rapsjaysleafs
03-26-2009, 12:33 AM
Harden has been horrible, i dont think this is even a debate. Harden has been great during the season, as said best wing player in the draft, but in the tourney he has been down right terrible. Tighter D? Too much pressure? Who knows but i thinkw e should trade the pick for good young talent or package the pick with Bosh for a higher pick and good player.

kanersen
03-26-2009, 12:40 AM
^^^No doubt Harden's played has tailed off down the stretch. I'm a firm believer in looking at the body of work then just particular points, however important they might be, in the season. And i'm pretty sure if Harden's available when the Raps are up to pick, there will be plenty of debating going on in BC's council on how they could possibly pass on the player if he fell to them at the 5-8 spot

baileybwoy
03-26-2009, 12:36 PM
Yah, Im just gonna pray Henderson kills it for the remainder of the tournament and everyone gets a hate on for Harden, so he can slip to us. I dont really care if e fell off in the tourney, he is EXACTLY what we need.

dtmagnet
03-26-2009, 05:41 PM
IF Messina is brought in to be our coach next year, he says he likes athletic players, so if we were able to draft Harden theres a chance we might pass on him anyways.

OmarLittle
03-26-2009, 06:36 PM
There is way too much hype over Harden. He is a good scorer but thats about it. He doesn't get rebounds and his defense is average at best. If the raptors are to improve next year they should address their points of weakness like defense and rebounding. Adding another scorer wont change a thing.

I really like Terrence Williams from Louisville and i think he will be a perfect fit for the Raps. He is a great rebounder for the SG position and he plays tough defense with great intensity. He is extremly athletic. Capable shooter and scorer.

He is currently projected to go late in the first round but i think his stock will rise as the NCAA tournament progresses. In my oppinion he is the best defensive wing in this draft so considering the raptors' need for a wing player he is the logical choice as far as i'm concerned.

Bigbadmoffo
03-26-2009, 08:53 PM
rubio is next year. That being said we need that 7th spot it's a lucky underdog spot and it has 58 balls well 8th place has 18balls.

Bigbadmoffo
03-26-2009, 08:55 PM
There is way too much hype over Harden. He is a good scorer but thats about it. He doesn't get rebounds and his defense is average at best. If the raptors are to improve next year they should address their points of weakness like defense and rebounding. Adding another scorer wont change a thing.

I really like Terrence Williams from Louisville and i think he will be a perfect fit for the Raps. He is a great rebounder for the SG position and he plays tough defense with great intensity. He is extremly athletic. Capable shooter and scorer.

He is currently projected to go late in the first round but i think his stock will rise as the NCAA tournament progresses. In my oppinion he is the best defensive wing in this draft so considering the raptors' need for a wing player he is the logical choice as far as i'm concerned.

If we don't get a top 5 i want alfarouq. HE has amazing potential. This guy could be a star at the three spot.

joshtrem
03-26-2009, 09:33 PM
if we drop down a bit in the draft, what's wrong with taking chase budinger (if he decides to come to the nba next year)? good kid, works hard, freak athlete, seems good for a euro-esque style of play

OmarLittle
03-26-2009, 10:53 PM
If we don't get a top 5 i want alfarouq. HE has amazing potential. This guy could be a star at the three spot.

I like Aminu's potential and upside but for me he hasn't proven himself yet and has high bust potential.

if we drop down a bit in the draft, what's wrong with taking chase budinger (if he decides to come to the nba next year)? good kid, works hard, freak athlete, seems good for a euro-esque style of play

Budinger can be a solid NBA player but he wouldn't be a good fit for the Raptors. Defensively he lacks great lateral quickness and foot speed. The Raptors need a quality perimeter defender first and foremost.

Terrence Williams all the way!!!

kanersen
03-26-2009, 11:59 PM
tyreke evans is absolutely torching missori (or however you spell it) tonight

OmarLittle
03-28-2009, 11:50 PM
I really like Tyreke Evans he has major star potential. I would be happy if the Raptors pick him over Harden or Henderson. Evans' defense is not great but the guy can score and do alot of other things on the court and he is a freshman which means his upside is greater than most players projected to go in the lottery.

GodsSon
03-29-2009, 12:17 PM
^For some reason, im just not sold on Evans...cant explain it...i would take Aminu, Clark, and even Demar over him.

03-29-2009, 01:26 PM

Harden get 5.5 rebs per game which is great for a SG, and his rebounds won't matter too much if we keep Marion at the 3. What I like about Harden is his 8 FT/game, which shows he gets to the rim.

T. Williams isn't a SG as is shown by his under 40% career FG% - That's why he's a late 1st round pick, and I don't think a good tourney will change that. He's a great rebounder, but he always plays the 3 for Lousiville, and at 6'6" (MAX!!!), he won't be doing that as a 3 in the NBA...

randomness
03-30-2009, 07:38 PM
What is your 2009 NBA Mock Draft?

This is the 2009 NBA Mock Draft from www.NBAdraft.net.
They have the Raptors at 8th drafting Gerald Henderson.

# Team Player H W P School C
1 Sacramento Blake Griffin 6-10 252 PF Oklahoma So.
2 Washington Hasheem Thabeet 7-3 265 C UConn Jr.
3 LA Clippers Jordan Hill 6-10 235 PF Arizona Jr.
4 Memphis James Harden 6-5 220 SG Arizona St. So.
5 Minnesota Brandon Jennings 6-1 170 PG USA Intl.
6 Oklahoma City Demar DeRozan 6-6 210 SG USC Fr.
7 Golden St. Earl Clark 6-10 230 SF Louisville Jr.
8 Toronto Gerald Henderson 6-4 210 SG Duke Jr.
9 New York Al-Farouq Aminu 6-9 215 SF Wake Forest Fr.
10 Indiana Craig Brackins 6-10 230 PF Iowa St. So.
11 New Jersey Chase Budinger 6-7 218 SG/SF Arizona Jr.
12 Milwaukee Eric Maynor 6-3 180 PG VCU Sr.
13 Charlotte Willie Warren 6-4 207 PG/SG Oklahoma Fr.
14 Phoenix Sam Young 6-6 220 SF Pittsburgh Sr.
15 Chicago DeJuan Blair 6-6 287 PF Pittsburgh So.
16 Detroit Jeff Teague 6-2 175 PG Wake Forest So.
17 Philadelphia BJ Mullens 7-0 275 C Ohio State Fr.
18 Minnesota Patrick Patterson 6-8 235 PF Kentucky So.
19 Atlanta Damion James 6-7 227 SF Texas Jr.
20 Dallas Ty Lawson 6-0 195 PG North Carolina Jr.
21 Utah Jonny Flynn 6-0 186 PG Syracuse So.
22 Portland James Johnson 6-8 235 SF Wake Forest So.
23 New Orleans Omri Casspi 6-8 225 SF Israel Intl.
24 Chicago Terrence Williams 6-6 220 SG/SF Louisville Sr.
25 Oklahoma City Wayne Ellington 6-5 194 SG North Carolina Jr.
26 Sacramento Tyreke Evans 6-6 219 SG Memphis Fr.
27 Memphis Jeff Pendergraph 6-9 230 PF Arizona St. Sr.
28 Minnesota Jrue Holiday 6-3 205 PG/SG UCLA Fr.
29 LA Lakers Tyler Hansbrough 6-8 245 PF North Carolina Sr.
30 Cleveland AJ Ogilvy 6-10 250 C Vanderbilt So

Mine is: (I'll just list the players, not the teams)
1.B.Griffin
2.J.Hill
3.J.Harden
4.H.Thabeet
5.E.Clark
6.B.Jennings
7.A.Aminu
8.G.Henderson
9.D.DeRozan
10.C.Budlinger
11.D.Blair
12.J.Teague
13.W.Warren
14.S.Young
15.B.Mullens
16.E.Maynor
17.C.Brackins
18.T.Williams
19.P.Patterson
20.D.Jones
21.J.Johnson
22.T.Lawson
23.J.Flynn
24.T.Hansbrough
25.T.Evans
26.O.Casspi
27.J.Pendergraph
28.J.Holiday
29.W.Ellington
30.A.Ogilvy

More shats!
03-31-2009, 01:27 PM
The good

Tyreke Evans, G, Fr., Memphis
Evans has made the argument over the past two weeks that he, not Willie Warren, is the best freshman in college basketball. He capped off a great tournament with a spectacular 33-point performance against Missouri. Although it came in a losing effort, Evans showed off some big-time moves driving to the basket -- his ability to change directions and finish is amazing. Combine that with his long arms and NBA body, and Evans has great appeal as an NBA scorer who can get his own shot.

On the other hand, the tournament also highlighted Evans' weaknesses. He still struggles with his jump shot, plays out of control and sometimes forgets that he has four teammates on the floor.

Still, the chances are very strong that he's going to declare for the draft. And if he does, I expect him to go somewhere between 8 and 14 on draft nigh

Earl Clark, F, Jr., Louisville
Louisville fizzled in the regional finals versus Michigan State, but it wasn't Clark's fault. For the second year in a row, Clark put together a terrific tournament. He scored 19 points against both Arizona and Michigan State, and showed his ability to score both inside and out. His terrific athleticism, length and rebounding ability were also on display during the tournament.

Clark remains one of the most intriguing prospects in the draft. When he plays like he did in the tournament, he looks like a surefire Top 10 pick. However, scouts have seen enough disappointing performances from him to know that he doesn't always look this good.

A number of scouts compare him to Julian Wright. Given Wright's still uncertain future in the NBA, I'm not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing. Look for Clark to declare for the draft and fall somewhere between 10 and 20 on draft night.

The Bad

Gerald Henderson, SG, Jr., Duke
Henderson did a lot to resurrect his draft stock during the second half of the season. He was aggressive, shot the lights out and proved that he had the combination of size, athleticism and skill to be a legit starting guard in the pros.

However, all of that came crashing down a bit in the tournament -- Henderson shot 11-for-44 from the field, went 1-for-11 from 3 and came up completely empty against Villanova with a 1-for-14 performance. Immediately after the game, the Henderson doubters were back out in full force questioning his ability to be a top-tier shooting guard in the NBA.

"I think his defensive ability and his basketball IQ will allow him to stick in the pros," said one NBA GM. "But what's the difference between him and Dahntay Jones?"

We have had Henderson in the mid-first round for the past two months and still think he'll go somewhere between 13 and 22. I know a few draft prognosticators have been talking about Henderson as a Top 5 pick -- it only takes one GM to love him that high -- however, Billy Knight won't be making any picks this year, and the GMs I've spoken with don't have him close to that high.

Willie Warren, G, Fr., Oklahoma
Warren had a terrific freshman season, but his play against Syracuse and North Carolina highlighted some of his weaknesses. In both games, Warren's perimeter shot wasn't falling and he resorted to taking some wild shots. His numbers versus North Carolina don't look that bad, but most of his points came when the game was already out of reach for the Sooners.

Warren said this weekend that he was 99 percent sure he was returning for his sophomore year, wanting to see how strong his game is without Blake Griffin on the floor. He shined in the few games in which Griffin didn't play this season, so maybe he knows what he's talking about. Still, it's a risk for Warren. He's widely considered a Top 10 pick now based on upside. If he skips the draft this year, he's going to have to prove he's worthy of a Top 10 pick next year.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/draft2009/columns/story?columnist=ford_chad&page=TourneyWatch-090331

WaterBoy24
03-31-2009, 08:34 PM
http://www.nbadraft.net/players/gerald-henderson :clap:

IversonIsKrazy
04-04-2009, 04:21 PM
we'll get around 8th pick. I love DeRozan for us, he has a crossover, athletic, high potential, and has been good for the last 10 games for USC. I also like Gerald Henderson. But we gotta go 4 a guy like DeMar DeRozan.

DeRozan to T.O.

WaterBoy24
04-04-2009, 04:55 PM
Problem is toronto is playin a lot better....DeMar DeRozan will go way early.....before raptors have the chance 2 pick him...that's why I said Gerald Henderson....but ure right Demar DeRozan is sweet player...

hades
04-04-2009, 05:05 PM
season over??
we got a few more games left.. and the playoffs.
any basketball fans here?

LD V2.0
04-04-2009, 06:17 PM
Get real. Pretty much one of the Pistons or Bulls can't win more than one more game for the rest of the season and the Raptors have to win all of their last 7.

Today the Bulls won again. One more and they eliminate any chance of the Raptors taking their spot.

And there are a lot of basketball fans here. We're being realistic.

Anyway, the way its looking right now the Raptors are going to be drafting somewhere between 10 and 15. They can find an impact player there.

fairandbalanced
04-04-2009, 06:32 PM
This my problem with the Raptors org, it was apparent about a month a go that they won't make play-offs.....why not tank and get a higher pick? I mean, the better strategy would have been to look good net season and beyond, not padding wins when its meaningless.

LD V2.0
04-04-2009, 06:39 PM
They're not "padding", they're competing with honor. If you want to watch fixed matches then become a boxing fan and turn off the ball game.

canzano55
04-04-2009, 06:47 PM
Anyway, the way its looking right now the Raptors are going to be drafting somewhere between 10 and 15. They can find an impact player there.

Maybe we get lucky and fall around 7-8 nabbing us Earl Clark. Not exactly a player that possesses anything spectacular but he's very NBA ready and plays decent D.

LD V2.0
04-04-2009, 06:54 PM
Maybe we get lucky and fall around 7-8 nabbing us Earl Clark. Not exactly a player that possesses anything spectacular but he's very NBA ready and plays decent D.

They can't "win" 7th or 8th in the draft, they have to finish there in the standings to select there. Moving on...

The Wizards likely will have a top five pick, but I get the sense that Ernie still very much wants to trade it away. If Blake Griffin fell into their laps, obviously the Wizards would love to have him. But otherwise?? When asked, Ernie said his team enters the offseason sitting in a very good position, and repeatedly used the word "asset" when referring to that pick. Now, that "asset" could be used to package with a veteran for some relief, but as far as the current young guys on the roster, I get the sense that Ernie still likes what he has.

“The best opportunity for us to improve is to get everybody healthy and back together,” he said. “And another thing is we have a very good asset in our draft pick. We don't know where what pick we'll get, but it's an asset and we'll use it to put our team in the best possible position.”
WashingtonTimes.com (http://www.washingtontimes.com/weblogs/outlet/2009/Apr/03/grunfeld-encouraged/)

There is one truth about this year's draft lottery, which, barring a miracle, the Knicks and Nets will be part of again. After Oklahoma's sturdy 6-foot-10 Blake Griffin, it's a crapshoot.

"After Blake, people are all over the place," one longtime NBA talent evaluator said. "There's no consensus. Take the mock drafts now with a grain of salt."

Said another NBA scout, "Two to 14, you get a different opinion from everybody. It's a very weak lottery."

Some NBA executives think lottery teams, including the Knicks, will look to trade down or deal for a 2010 selection if their "need" guy is not there. The Knicks don't have a pick in 2010.

New Yor Post (http://www.nypost.com/seven/04042009/sports/knicks/if_draft_goes_their_way__knicks_may_be_s_162871.ht m)

aman_13
04-04-2009, 08:05 PM
I think BC is going to trade the pick and it makes sense. The way the team is playing, and the position the Raps are in right now at the draft, they wll get better value out of the pick by trading it.

LD V2.0
04-04-2009, 08:20 PM
I hope you're wrong. Colangelo has a great track record when he uses his picks but a poor track record when he trades his picks.

katman
04-04-2009, 08:27 PM
Yes, let's instill a culture of winning and competing hard by losing so we can get more lottery balls to get a "potential" talent.

I'm not a GM, but it kinda makes more sense to "tank" in a strong draft year not a weak one.

canzano55
04-05-2009, 11:27 AM
They can't "win" 7th or 8th in the draft, they have to finish there in the standings to select there. Moving on...
I know that I just didn't word it very well lol.

Kakaroach
04-05-2009, 01:56 PM
Raptors need a wing don't they? Not another European PG. I say Harden.

tkshy
04-05-2009, 02:17 PM
I picked Rubio cause it was the only choice other than Harden. I live in AZ and can tell you HARDEN is NOT an NBA caliber player. No way, No chance, No how.

I live in AZ and have seen all the ASU games, not just cause I live here...lol.

LD V2.0
04-05-2009, 03:33 PM
Update: Earl Clark has officially signed with Byron Irvin and Dan Fegan of BEST, according to Fegan himself. This will effectively end Clark's college eligibility at Louisville. The move comes as no surprise, as it was widely expected that he would be leaving follow this season.

-Cole Aldrich is returning to Kansas for his junior season, according to a source close to the program.

-Craig Brackins is leaving the Iowa State program, according to multiple sources. The coaching staff has already moved on, and is actively looking to replace his scholarship for next season. Brackins is considered highly unlikely to return next season. Some NBA teams we’ve spoken with have him rated as high as the late lottery.

-DeJuan Blair is getting heavy pressure from Pitt’s coaching staff to return for another season, but is likely to announce his intentions to enter the NBA draft regardless shortly.

-B.J. Mullens has closed the door on his college career by signing with agent Andy Miller, and is already working out in Las Vegas to prepare for his upcoming workouts.

-St. Mary’s guard Patrick Mills will announce he’s declaring for the draft next week, without hiring an agent, according to multiple sources close to the situation.

-Gerald Henderson is also expected to announce he’s leaving college shortly, and is expected to hire an agent with strong ties to Duke.
Draft Express.com (http://www.draftexpress.com/blog/Jonathan-Givony/#Blogging-through-the-Final-Four-Part-One--3164)

A lot of people were beginngin to slot Cole Aldrich in as a lotto pick have his play in March Madness. He is taking a risk coming back. This draft is shaping up a lot like 2006(with the exception of this draft having a consensus number one. He had potential to possibly enter the top ten, maybe being taken by a team like the Knicks who will be looking for high energy, hard working players.

Barring some odd circumstances, Oklahoma sophomore forward Blake Griffin will be selected with the top pick in this year's draft, no matter who has it. So who's No. 2? While there has been some talk about Arizona State guard James Harden and Arizona forward-center Jordan Hill, one NBA scout said Connecticut center Hasheem Thabeet could be a lock for the second selection. "Thabeet is probably still No. 2," the NBA scout said. "A lot of people would have problems with his height. He's 7-3. You look at people who could pass him in Jordan Hill and James Harden. But it would be risky for a GM to pass on someone 7-3."
Boston Globe (http://www.boston.com/sports/basketball/articles/2009/04/05/down_the_stretch_lakers_are_homed_in/?page=3)

I think Thabeet has bust written all over him. Draft based on skill and upside, not size. Otherwise, if history is any indication, heart breaks are going to follow.

Wake Forest sophomore James Johnson says he will declare for the NBA Draft early next week.

"My mind's made up; I'm going to enter," the Cheyenne East graduate said by phone on Friday. "I think I'm ready now.

Johnson started 59 of the 61 games he played at Wake Forest and averaged 14.8 points and 8.3 rebounds. He was runner-up in Atlantic Coast Conference freshman of the year voting and was a third-team All-ACC selection as a sophomore.

This season Johnson helped the Demon Deacons go 24-7, including a 70-68 win over then-No. 1 Duke on Jan. 28. He scored the game-winning lay-up in that contest. Wake ascended to No. 1 after that win.
Wyoming News (http://www.wyomingnews.com/articles/2009/04/04/sports/19sports_04-04-09.txt)

More shats!
04-06-2009, 03:55 PM
2009 NBA draft - DraftExpress update

TOP 14

1 Kings Blake Griffin PF/C
20 years old; 6'10"; 251 lbs.
Oklahoma, Sophomore
2 Wizards Ricky Rubio PG
18 years old; 6'4"; 180 lbs.
DKV Joventut, International
3 Clippers Jordan Hill PF
21 years old; 6'10"; 235 lbs.
Arizona, Junior
4 Thunder Hasheem Thabeet C
22 years old; 7'3"; 265 lbs.
Connecticut, Junior
5 Timberwolves James Harden SG
19 years old; 6'5"; 218 lbs.
Arizona State, Sophomore
6 Grizzlies Brandon Jennings PG
19 years old; 6'1"; 170 lbs.
Lottomatica Roma, International
7 Warriors Willie Warren SG
19 years old; 6'4"; 200 lbs.
Oklahoma, Freshman
8 Knicks Tyreke Evans PG/SG
19 years old; 6'5"; 195 lbs.
Memphis, Freshman
9 Raptors Demar DeRozan SG/SF
19 years old; 6'7"; 207 lbs.
USC, Freshman
10 Bucks Stephen Curry PG/SG
21 years old; 6'3"; 185 lbs.
Davidson, Junior
11 Nets Earl Clark SF/PF
21 years old; 6'9"; 220 lbs.
Louisville, Junior
12 Pacers Ty Lawson PG
21 years old; 6'0"; 195 lbs.
North Carolina, Junior
13 Bobcats Gerald Henderson SG
21 years old; 6'5"; 215 lbs.
Duke, Junior
14 Suns Terrence Williams SG/SF
21 years old; 6'6"; 220 lbs.
Louisville, Senior

http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-mock-draft/2009/

dtmagnet
04-06-2009, 04:06 PM
I wouldn't cry into my pillow if we drafted Derozan lol.

Bob_at_york
04-06-2009, 04:09 PM
I wouldn't cry into my pillow if we drafted Derozan lol.

so what would you do? I ask because after reading their latest assessment on him, he sounds like the exact opposite to what a lot of Raptors fans seem to be looking for. If that assessment is correct then I can see people wanting him traded by the deadline next year.

dtmagnet
04-06-2009, 04:12 PM
I haven't read what the scouts say, but I saw all his games in the tournament and I like his athleticism and willingness to drive the lane. I also don't know a lot about the players in the 8-10 range so maybe its just the lack of knowledge of the other guys.

More shats!
04-06-2009, 04:26 PM
so what would you do? I ask because after reading their latest assessment on him, he sounds like the exact opposite to what a lot of Raptors fans seem to be looking for. If that assessment is correct then I can see people wanting him traded by the deadline next year.

I really don’t understand why so many fans want Derozan, the man has no handles and no first step to the basket. But I guess we need to thank VC for the way some people think this days, after VC left fans get blinded every draft by this high flying prospects that can do great dunks, but have no IQ,handles or Basketball skill whatsoever. Derozan is a big project that is going to take a lot of years to develop, if he even develops at all.

IversonIsKrazy
04-06-2009, 09:08 PM
DeRozan has handles and a mean crossover which he uses to get to the rim. Hes great at finishing around the basket. He drives a lot. The problem is his inconsistent outside Shot. His 3 is not reliable, but with work it can be good since his mechanics are pretty good.

More shats!
04-06-2009, 09:34 PM
DeRozan has handles and a mean crossover which he uses to get to the rim. Hes great at finishing around the basket. He drives a lot. The problem is his inconsistent outside Shot. His 3 is not reliable, but with work it can be good since his mechanics are pretty good.

Really? The games i saw him play he got most of his points from jump shats and the rest on the fast break, the dude can't create a shat to save his life.

Draftexpress on DeRozan handles.

His ball-handling skills continue to look shaky, though, and you rarely see him able to get to the basket in half-court situations, showing that he still has a long ways to go in terms of developing into a player who is ready to see minutes in the NBA.

Still a very limited ball-handler, DeRozanís offensive limitations are pretty significant if trying to project him immediately to the NBA. He struggles to change directions with the ball and possesses very little explosion off his first step, making him almost completely unable to create his own shot. If forced to dribble the ball more than once or twice he is liable to get stripped or look out of control, although heís doing a good job of not putting himself in situations where he is liable to turn the ball over. He is averaging twice as many turnovers as assists, which ranks him last amongst all top shooting guard prospects

The fact that DeRozanís jumper doesnít have much range (heís shooting just 2/22 from 3-point range), he cannot play pick and roll, is not a great passer, possesses just an average basketball IQ, and his understanding of how to operate in the half-court is limited, makes him a clear-cut project for the NBA. The main question is, how much he is going to improve over the next few years? The answer to that largely depends on his work ethic and character, which draws strong reviews from those around him. Some teams are not that opposed to taking a player who obviously possesses great upside, especially once you get outside of the lottery. One GM we spoke to compared him to Gerald Wallace as a freshman, saying how he was even more limited a player at the same point in his career.

As a ball-handler is where DeRozan needs to improve the most, as he really struggles to take advantage of his superior athleticism, having all kinds of problems creating his own shot. He canít really change directions with the ball or beat his man with an advanced move, and is thus entirely reliant on others to create offense for him, which is a bit of a problem for a team without a true point guard. Thatís one of the reasons heís getting to the free throw line just over three times a game, which is somewhat underwhelming considering the physical advantages he enjoys over his opponents. Turnovers have been somewhat of a problemóhe coughs up the ball on 22% of his possessions, and averages twice as many turnovers as assists

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Demar-DeRozan-1319/

LD V2.0
04-07-2009, 12:25 AM

I don't think Colangelo would draft him. He sounds like he has Vince Carter's intensity. You don't build a championship program relying on people like that.

raptor fan
04-07-2009, 03:21 PM
i think B.C is gonna draft gerald henderson from duke. he would be an okay pickup if harden's gone.

raptor fan
04-07-2009, 03:23 PM
also, as for derozen, i think he's going to fall in the draft kind of like what happened to gerald green. leading up to the draft, people were saying how he was a top 5 pick, and he dropped to 18. i dont think derozen will drop that far, but i think he will fall out of the top 10

canzano55
04-07-2009, 11:36 PM
Has Rubio declared yet?

More shats!
04-08-2009, 07:41 AM
Has Rubio declared yet?

No, but he is expected to enter this years draft.

-Ricky Rubio is back on our 2009 mock draft, after a four month stint where he was projected for 2010. Sources close to the situation indicate that Rubioís family is now in favor of him entering this year, and that will almost certainly be on the early-entry list when itís released on April 27th. His buyout still needs to be negotiated, which is easier said than done, but a final decision on whether to stay in likely wonít come until very close to the pull-out deadline, on June 19th. Unlike college players who are bound by the more restrictive NCAA rules, International players can enter the draft up to three times, which gives him plenty of wiggle room.

Also announced todayóRubio has accepted an invitation to the Reebok EuroCamp, which will be conducted from the 6-8 of June in Treviso, Italy. Joventut may have to lose in the quarterfinals of the playoffs for him to get there on time, though. They are currently in 6th place in the league.

http://www.draftexpress.com/blog/Jonathan-Givony/#Word-on-the-Street-Whoas-In-and-Out-of-the-2009-NBA-Draft-3168

More shats!
04-08-2009, 07:45 AM
In or Very Likely to be In:

-Blake Griffin, Sophomore, Oklahoma- Announced his intentions to enter in a press release today. Will reportedly sign with an agent next week, according to sources.

-Ricky Rubio, 1990 International, DKV Joventut- Back on the DraftExpress 2009 mock draft, after a four month stint where he was projected for 2010. Sources close to the situation indicate that Rubio’s family is now in favor of him entering this year, and that will almost certainly be on the early-entry list when it’s released on April 27th. His buyout still needs to be negotiated, which is easier said than done, but a final decision on whether to stay in likely won’t come until very close to the pull-out deadline, on June 19th. Unlike college players who are bound by the more restrictive NCAA rules, International players can enter the draft up to three times, which gives him plenty of wiggle room.

Also announced today—Rubio has accepted an invitation to the Reebok EuroCamp, which will be conducted from the 6-8 of June in Treviso, Italy. Joventut may have to lose in the quarterfinals of the playoffs to make that a reality, though. They are currently in 6th place in the league.

-James Harden, Sophomore, Arizona State- Will announce he’s entering the draft tomorrow, and is already in the process of interviewing agents, according to sources.

-Hasheem Thabeet, Junior, UConn- Nothing official yet, but is reportedly close to selecting his agent and is highly likely to be in when it’s all said and done.

-Jordan Hill, Junior, Arizona- Will announce he’s officially in the draft in a joint press conference with Chase Budinger later this week, and is reportedly close to selecting his agent as well.

-Brandon Jennings, 1989 ‘International’, Lottomatica Roma- Will be automatically eligible for this draft according to the Collective Bargaining Agreement as an American high school player who “signed a player contract with a ‘professional basketball team not in the NBA’ that is located anywhere in the world, and has rendered services under such contract prior to the Draft.

-Willie Warren, Freshman, Oklahoma- Has repeatedly insisted that he will return to Oklahoma for his sophomore season, but has reportedly changed his mind and will now be testing the waters at the very least. If he’s deemed a lottery pick, he won’t return.

-Tyreke Evans, Freshman, Memphis- Announced he’ll be leaving immediately after his head coach John Calipari took the job at Kentucky. Will be hiring an agent shortly.

-DeMar DeRozan, Freshman, USC- Nothing official yet, but numerous sources indicate his camp is already in the process of interviewing agents, and is highly likely to be in when it’s all said and done.

-Earl Clark, Junior, Louisville- Has not officially announced, but has already hired representation—Byron Irvin and Dan Fegan of BEST-- and is in the draft.

-Ty Lawson, Junior, North Carolina- Nothing official yet, but is considered to be 100% in the draft after withdrawing at the last minute last year and elevating his stock considerably with a national championship run.

-Gerald Henderson, Junior, Duke- Nothing official yet, but numerous sources indicate his camp is already in the process of interviewing agents, and is highly likely to be in when it’s all said and done.

-Jonny Flynn, Sophomore, Syracuse- Will test the waters according to media reports, and is considered likely to stay in the draft.

-James Johnson, Sophomore, Wake Forest- Has officially hired Dan Tobin and Thad Foucher of Wasserman Media Group as his agents, and thus will not be returning to Wake Forest.

-Jeff Teague, Sophomore, Wake Forest- Will enter his name in the draft, without an agent initially. If he’s not projected as a top-10 pick by the time the deadline rolls around a week before the draft, he’ll return to Wake Forest—or least that’s what his plans are for right now.

-Craig Brackins, Sophomore, Iowa State- Will be testing the waters, at the very least, and seems unlikely to return to Iowa State next season.

-B.J. Mullens, Freshman, Ohio State- Announced he’s entering the draft, and has hired Andy Miller of ASM Sports as his agent.

-DeJuan Blair, Sophomore, Pitt- Will announce he’s entering the draft in a press conference tomorrow, and is unlikely to return to Pitt next season.

-Jrue Holiday, Freshman, UCLA- Nothing official yet, but numerous sources indicate he’s testing the waters, and will likely stay in if he likes what he’s hearing from NBA teams.

-Chase Budinger, Junior, Arizona- Announced he’ll be entering his name in the draft for the second time, which nullifies his remaining college eligibility.

-Wayne Ellington, Junior, North Carolina- Nothing official yet, but numerous sources indicate his camp is already in the process of interviewing agents, and is highly likely to be in when it’s all said and done. Was already in the draft last year, so cannot test the waters at this point.

-Nick Calathes, Sophomore, Florida- Announced he’ll be testing the waters, and may return to Florida if he doesn’t like what he’s hearing. Has the option of playing in Europe next year as well thanks to his Greek passport.

-Patrick Mills, Sophomore, St. Mary’s- Will announce he’s testing the waters shortly, and will attempt to gauge the likelihood of being selected in the first round.

-DaJuan Summers, Junior, Georgetown- Will be leaving Georgetown according to media reports, and is already in the process of interviewing agents.

-Tyler Smith, Junior, Tennessee- Will be entering the draft according to Andy Katz, although there is no indication yet whether he plans on hiring an agent.

-Omri Casspi, 1988 International, Maccabi Tel Aviv- Entering the draft according to media reports. Can withdraw at the deadline if he doesn’t like what he’s hearing.

-Jodie Meeks, Junior, Kentucky- Has announced he’ll be testing the waters.

-Vladimir Dasic, 1988 International, Buducnost- Entering the draft according to what his agent Misko Raznatovic told us, and will head to the States for workouts. Can withdraw at the deadline if he doesn’t like what he’s hearing.

-Rodrigue Beaubois, 1988 International, Cholet- Entering the draft according to what his new agent, Bouna Ndiaye tells us. This will be his third time entering, meaning he’s in for good.

-Greivis Vasquez, Junior, Maryland- Has publicly said on more than one occasion that he’ll be testing the waters.

-Taj Gibson, Junior, USC- Likely to at least test the waters, according to sources.

-Daniel Hackett, Junior, USC- Heavily considering leaving USC, and will likely use his Italian passport to play professionally in Europe if things don’t work out with the NBA.

-Matt Bouldin, Junior, Gonzaga- Sources indicate he will test the waters and see where his stock is at.

-Luke Harangody, Junior, Notre Dame- Sources indicate he will test the waters and see where his stock is at.

-Dar Tucker, Sophomore, DePaul- Indicated in March that he will likely test the waters.

-Mac Koshwal, Sophomore, DePaul- Told the Chicago Tribune he will test the waters.

-Giorgi Shermadini, 1988 International, Panathinaikos- Likely testing the waters according to his agent Todd Ramasar.

-Aboubakar Zaki, 1988 International, Nancy- Testing the waters according to his agent David Bauman.

-Patrick Christopher, Junior, Cal- Announced he’ll be testing the waters.

-Brandon Costner, Junior, N.C. State- Announced he’s leaving N.C. State. Will likely play in Europe if not drafted.

-Jonathan Tavernari, Junior, BYU- Announced he’ll be testing the waters.

-Deven Downey, Junior, South Carolina- Announced he’ll be testing the waters.

-Roderick Flemings, Junior, Hawaii- Announced he’ll be testing the waters.

http://www.draftexpress.com/blog/Jonathan-Givony/#Word-on-the-Street-Whoas-In-and-Out-of-the-2009-NBA-Draft-3168

More shats!
04-08-2009, 07:54 AM
50/50

-stephen curry, junior, davidson- sources say he is heavily considering returning for his senior season in order to get his degree, and is truly torn about the decision.

-ed davis, freshman, north carolina- publicly said he’s returning, but his camp appears to still be exploring the possibility of leaving, according to multiple sources.

-al-farouq aminu, freshman, wake forest- publicly said he’ll return, but is considered to be leaning towards entering the draft, for good.

-evan turner, sophomore, ohio state- believed to be leaning towards returning, but appears to be still weighing his options according to sources.

-jerome jordan, junior, tulsa- nothing official yet, but rumored to be leaning towards returning.

-patrick patterson, sophomore, kentucky- has not indicated either way what direction he’s leaning towards.

-stanley robinson, junior, uconn- some media reports indicate he may enter, but sources say he’s leaning towards returning.

-chris wright, sophomore, dayton- rumored to be on the fence.

-jarvis varnado, junior, mississippi state- nothing official yet, but appears to be leaning towards testing the waters.

-damion james, junior, texas- appears to be leaning towards returning to school. The chances of him declaring appear to be “slim” according to one source.

-michael washington, junior, arkansas- has not indicated either way what direction he’s leaning towards. May test the waters as a junior.

-derrick brown, junior, xavier- nothing official yet, but may test the waters, especially now that his coach sean miller left for arizona.

-victor claver, 1988 international, pamesa valencia- has been injured for most of the year, but can still put his name in and withdraw once more if he desires. Is strongly considering doing so, but has some issues with his buyout.

-vitor faverani, 1988 international, unicaja malaga- we’re yet to receive any indication of whether or not he’ll enter.

-tasmin mitchell, junior, lsu- will test the waters, according to sources.

-deshawn sims, junior, michigan- may test the waters as a junior since he has nothing to lose.

-raymar morgan, junior, michigan state- rumored to be considering entering the draft

-paul harris, junior, syracuse- unconfirmed reports indicate he may go pro (possibly to europe) in order to help his family.

-quincy pondexter, junior, washington- considering testing the waters, according to media reports.

More shats!
04-08-2009, 07:57 AM
Leaning Towards/Returning to School:

-Cole Aldrich, Sophomore, Kansas- Nothing official yet, but appears highly likely to return according to what sources tell us.

-Greg Monroe, Freshman, Georgetown- Nothing official yet, but appears highly likely to return according to what sources tell us.

-Austin Daye, Sophomore, Gonzaga- Was once considered to be considering entering, but is now believed to be leaning towards returning to school.

-Donatas Motiejunas, 1990 International, Aisciai Kaunas- A big showing at the Nike Hoop Summit may change his mind, but for now Motiejunas is wisely leaning towards returning.

-Jan Vesely, 1990, International, Partizan Belgrade- Returning to Partizan, according to his agent Alexander Raskovic. Will once again participate in the Reebok EuroCamp in Treviso.

-Devin Ebanks, Freshman, West Virginia- Announced he’s returning and appears firm in that commitment.

-Kyle Singler, Junior, Duke- Nothing official yet, but appears highly likely to return according to what sources tell us.

-James Anderson, Sophomore, Oklahoma State- Appears to be leaning towards returning, unless he’s projected as a lottery pick, which he surely isn’t.

-Solomon Alabi, Sophomore, Florida State- Will return to Florida State according to sources close to the situation.

-Gani Lawal, Sophomore, Georgia Tech- Nothing official yet, but appears highly likely to return

-Sylven Landesberg, Freshman, Virginia- Announced he’s returning to Virginia for his sophomore season.

-William Buford, Freshman, Ohio State- Announced he’s returning to Ohio State for his sophomore season.

-JaJuan Johnson, Sophomore, Purdue- Announced he’s returning to Purdue for his junior season.

-Sherron Collins, Junior, Kansas- Has not announced anything yet, but is believed to be leaning towards returning.

-Trevor Booker, Junior, Clemson- Announced he’s returning to Clemson for his senior season.

-Kalin Lucas, Sophomore, Michigan State- Tom Izzo indicates that Lucas will likely be back.

-Manny Harris, Sophomore, Michigan- Announced he’s returning to Michigan for his junior season.

pebloemer
04-08-2009, 09:34 AM
i think B.C is gonna draft gerald henderson from duke. he would be an okay pickup if harden's gone.

I think him and Harden would be the best two options at SG in the draft. Only started following about a month ago though, so my knowledge is still limited.

Can someone tell me what the big deal is with Thabeet. Is it just his size? Last year there were lots of criticisms before he decided not to go to the draft about his inability to rebound as a 7'3 C. When I see him play and read about him, I understand the size factor, but it also seems like he has high bust potential. Is his projections of being drafted so high because it is a such a weak draft class, or is it because his size, or are their other aspects to his game that I am missing?

LD V2.0
04-08-2009, 09:43 AM
No, but he is expected to enter this years draft.

That's good news. That might be enough to bump a player back a few places who the Raptors want. Who knows? If the Wiz and Clippers pick 2nd and 3rd it will be interesting to see what they do. Neither needs a PG.

GodsSon
04-08-2009, 01:05 PM
^ exactly...Rubio entering just betters Toronto's chances of drafting someone they are high on.

T-O-R-O-N-T-O
04-09-2009, 05:16 PM
willie warren

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCzvoywzRwY

enuff said

muninade
04-09-2009, 08:58 PM
I serioulsly think we need aminu.

More shats!
04-10-2009, 12:24 PM
WARNING - I AM NOT COMPARING THE GAME OF GERALD HENDERSON TO VC... JUST THE STATS.

Vince Carter

95-96 - 17.9 MPG , 7.5 PPG, 3.8 RPG , 1.3 APG , 0.6 BPG , 0.6 SPG , 49.2 FG% , 34.5 3P% , 68.9 FT% , 1.2 TO

96-97 - 27.6 MPG , 13.0 PPG , 4.5 RPG , 2.4 APG , 0.8 BPG , 1.4 SPG , 52.5 FG% , 33.6 3P% , 75.0 FT% , 1.4 TO

97-98 - 31.2 MPG , 15.6 PPG , 5.1 RPG , 1.9 APG , 0.9 BPG , 1.2 SPG , 59.1 FG% , 41.1 3P% , 68.0 FT% , 1.1 TO

Gerald Henderson

06-07 - 19.3 MPG , 6.8 PPG , 2.8 RPG , 1.1 APG , 0.3 BPG , 0.5 SPG , 45.1 FG% , 32.0 3P% , 62.7 FT% , 1.3 TO

07-08 - 26.2 MPG , 12.7 PPG , 4.7 RPG , 1.6 APG , 0.9 BPG , 1.1 SPG , 47.4 FG% , 31.7 3P% , 66.9 FT% , 2.0 TO

08-09 - 29.7 MPG , 16.5 PPG , 4.9 RPG , 2.5 APG , 0.8 BPG , 1.2 SPG , 45.0 FG% , 33.6 3P% , 76.1 FT% , 2.2 TO

Very similar 3 years in college and the only big difference is the the FG%(Vince was a lot better there )

LD V2.0
04-10-2009, 01:38 PM
Japan guard Kawamura seeks NBA career

TOKYO — Takuya Kawamura, a guard in the Japan Basketball League, has opted not to play for Japan's national men's team, choosing instead to pursue a career in the NBA.

Kawamura, who has a JBL-leading points average of 20.43 this season, has hired an agent and will leave for the United States on Saturday, the Nikkansports newspaper reported Friday.

The Japanese men's team, coached by American David Hobbs, opened its training camp on Thursday to begin its bid to qualify for the 2010 world championships in Turkey.

Kawamura, 22, plays for the Link Tochigi Brex, along with Yuta Tabuse, who played briefly for the Phoenix Suns in the 2004-05 season and is the only Japanese player to make it to the NBA.

The 1.93 meter (6-foot-3 ) 83 kilogram (182 lbs) Kawamura has been a member of Japan's national men's team since 2005. - AP
GMA NEWS (http://www.gmanews.tv/story/156453/Japan-guard-Kawamura-seeks-NBA-career)

Colangelo gave his teammate a chance. Maybe he steps up and gives this young guard a chance as well. He's worth keeping on the radar into the second round anyway

raptor fan
04-10-2009, 06:57 PM
if we're planning on buying a pick, we should really talk to New Orleans. They're desperately trying to save money, and they'd probably be willing to sell their 22nd pick. If we get that pick, i'd try picking up Jeff Teague if he's still available. NBADraft.net has him going 22nd to the hornets as of right now. If he's gone, I'd look at other players as Terrence Williams, Damion James, James Johnson, or Tyreke Evans

LD V2.0
04-10-2009, 07:37 PM
I went to one of my best sources -- an NBA GM with a strong track record in the draft -- and asked for his breakdown.

Potential Lottery Picks

Ricky Rubio, PG, Spain
"He's special. He can come into the NBA and play right now. There are very few point guards you can say that about. I love him."

James Harden, SG, Arizona State
"I'm a fan. I think he does a lot of things really well. And I think he's a deceptive athlete. He's really intelligent. He's going to figure it out."

Ed Davis, PF, North Carolina
"I wish you didn't start writing about him last month. We've had him in the top five. I thought he was a little bit of a secret. He isn't anymore. I wish he'd stay in school one more year to get stronger and more experience. But he'd go high if he comes out."

Willie Warren, G, Oklahoma
"That guy can really go. I think he could be a big-time scorer and distributor in the league. He reminds me a lot of Chauncey Billups. He's strong, athletic and he can shoot it."

Hasheem Thabeet, C, UConn
"I'm a fan. You can't teach 7-foot-3. He'll be able to come in and be an immediate presence on the defensive end. Whether he ever gets it going on the offensive end ... that's the question."

Al-Farouq Aminu, F, Wake Forest
"I don't know what he is yet, but I really love the package of length and athleticism. He's got good skills. He needs to be on a running team. He can put the ball on the floor and attack the rim. He's obviously got to work on that jumper, but if he gets that down, he could be special. I don't see him falling out of the top 10. But I would take Ed Davis first."

Jordan Hill, F, Arizona
"I don't know if I love him. But he's going to be scrappy, grab rebounds and play really hard. He's got great hands, rebounds out of his area and, from everything we can gather, he's a great kid. He's probably a top-six player."

Cole Aldrich, C, Kansas
"He's a really talented kid, a sleeper. I think if he declares and gets into workouts, he moves into the top 10. He kind of reminds me of a more offensive-minded Joel Przybilla."

Tyreke Evans, G, Memphis
"I think he's a PG. He really needs the ball in his hands to be effective. I think he's got a good enough handle to play the point in our league. If he shot a little better, he'd be a pretty high lottery pick. But I think he's going to be really good."

DeMar DeRozan, G/F, USC
"He's got all the physical talent you could hope for and I think he proved he's a player late in the year. I think his unselfishness actually hurt him a little. He's a better player than most people think. He could go top five. I don't think he'll go past No. 12."

Greg Monroe, PF, Georgetown
"I'm not sure about him. I worry about his athleticism. I don't think he moves very well laterally. And I don't think he's got a great motor. He's really, really skilled, but I think he might have some problems in our league."

Earl Clark, F, Louisville
"He's a top-tier talent. I'm not sure if he'll get it, but if he does he's got the chance to be great."

Ty Lawson, PG, North Carolina
"He's terrific. He had a great run in the tournament, and I think he showed everyone that he has worked on his weaknesses and has become a complete player. He's really good."

Eric Maynor, PG, VCU
"He has great size, good speed. He's a good kid. Coaches love him. He's improved every year, which we love. If you're looking at a guy who could come in right now, he's the guy. I think we might have him ranked higher than most teams. I think he's one of the two or three best point guards in the draft."
ESPN.com (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/draft2009/columns/story?columnist=ford_chad&page=DraftWatch-090410)

katman
04-10-2009, 08:36 PM
I really like Henderson ... from a defensive stand point alone. If he can bring some offense that's a bonus.

If some teams are experiencing cash flow problems we could well be able to pick up another pick with some cash. Cash and avoiding a guaranteed contract might get us a decent pick.

WaterBoy24
04-11-2009, 05:06 PM
Henderson...reminds me of Latrell Sprewell..
Top 3 guys I want is in order....

1. Demar DeRozan
2. James Harden
3. Gerald Henderson

Any of these guys if we were 2 pick up in draft...I be happy:)

Demar DeRozan is just sick...with Marion....dunkathon....:speechless:

kantarok
04-11-2009, 07:31 PM
who wants rubio? HE IS GOIN TO BE THE BIGGEST BUST
Rubio=Darko

kanersen
04-11-2009, 09:41 PM
WARNING - I AM NOT COMPARING THE GAME OF GERALD HENDERSON TO VC... JUST THE STATS.

Vince Carter

Gerald Henderson

Very similar 3 years in college and the only big difference is the the FG%(Vince was a lot better there )

you know, i've been thinkin this entire time that henderson can be a poor man's VC
good comparison

koreancabbage
04-12-2009, 12:22 AM
Rubio=Darko

WTF. i'm pretty sure he'll be the first PG to go in this draft. he plays against the best in Europe at age 18 and he plays it very well. Remember, Darko is a PF/C and they take longer to actually develop (it also hurt him that he didn't get PT in detroit) . Rubio will have the ball in his hands most of the time cuz he's a PG.

man, that Rubio=Darko comment makes you look pretty...i don't know...dumb?

don't get me wrong, i will eat my tie if rubio= darko, but realistically...come on- you can't go worse than Darko or even come close to it as a PG...

More shats!
04-12-2009, 03:14 PM
ESPN.com (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/draft2009/columns/story?columnist=ford_chad&page=DraftWatch-090410)

From Insider.

Stephen Curry, G, Davidson
"He's a great scorer and I think he can be a point guard in the NBA with time. His value all depends on who drafts him. He needs to be in the right system. If you have players who you can surround him with, he'll be really good. If he has to be the man, he'll struggle."

Brandon Jennings, PG, Italy
"I think he's got a lot of problems right now. The more I watched him play, the more concerns I had. He's a great athlete, so he could blow up in our league. But I worry that he's going to struggle to run an NBA team right now. You're going to have to wait on him."

Evan Turner, G/F, Ohio State
"He's great with the ball. He's sneaky athletic. He has the ability to go where he wants to when he wants to. He's a guy who I think will for sure be a solid pro. How good? That's the question."

Gerald Henderson, SG, Duke
"I don't understand how some of these draft sites have had him in the top eight all year. He's a good athlete and a good on-the-ball defender. He's going to be solid, but that's pretty high."

Jeff Teague, PG, Wake Forest
"I like him, but don't love him. I think there was a bad culture at Wake and I think he may have had something to do with it. He's a little selfish as a player. If a team drafts him, they're going to have to be patient. It's going to take him a while to convert to playing PG."

raptors wiseguy
04-12-2009, 03:27 PM
Rubio=Darko

HAHAHAHA.......u were being sarcastic right?
do you have any backup to this statement?

kantarok
04-12-2009, 05:01 PM
rubio is not going to be elite in the league. The only way he has any chance of being decent is having the "exact" same skill set of steve nash, which he does not. chris, deron, wall and rose are running that position. How is a point guard that is not quick and athletic going to dominate in this league. No lateral quickness means no defence too. He better hope he goes to a team like new york or goldenstate so he can hide his miserable defence. Europeans dont understand what kind of speed it takes to play in the nba,with no ugly trapezoid zone. There is a reason why he isnt going to enter in this years draft u kno

More shats!
04-18-2009, 05:38 PM
1 Kings Blake Griffin PF/C
20 years old; 6'10"; 251 lbs.
Oklahoma, Sophomore
2 Wizards Ricky Rubio PG
18 years old; 6'4"; 180 lbs.
DKV Joventut, International
3 Clippers Jordan Hill PF
21 years old; 6'10"; 235 lbs.
Arizona, Junior
4 Thunder Hasheem Thabeet C
22 years old; 7'3"; 265 lbs.
Connecticut, Junior
5 Timberwolves James Harden SG
19 years old; 6'5"; 218 lbs.
Arizona State, Sophomore
6 Grizzlies Brandon Jennings PG
19 years old; 6'1"; 170 lbs.
Lottomatica Roma, International
7 Warriors Tyreke Evans PG/SG
19 years old; 6'5"; 195 lbs.
Memphis, Freshman
8 Knicks Demar DeRozan SG/SF
19 years old; 6'7"; 207 lbs.
USC, Freshman
9 Raptors Stephen Curry PG/SG
21 years old; 6'3"; 185 lbs.
Davidson, Junior
10 Bucks Earl Clark SF/PF
21 years old; 6'9"; 220 lbs.
Louisville, Junior
11 Nets Ty Lawson PG
21 years old; 6'0"; 195 lbs.
North Carolina, Junior
12 Bobcats Gerald Henderson SG
21 years old; 6'5"; 215 lbs.
Duke, Junior
13 Pacers Terrence Williams SG/SF
21 years old; 6'6"; 220 lbs.
Louisville, Senior
14 Suns Jonny Flynn PG
20 years old; 6'0"; 172 lbs.
Syracuse, Sophomore

http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-mock-draft/2009/

C_A_S_H
04-18-2009, 06:29 PM
we might have some hope of the number 1 draft pick,
we have the same record like bulls last year

LD V2.0
04-18-2009, 07:32 PM
That's rare. Last time something like that happened outside the Bulls last years was Jersey in 2000.

GodsSon
04-18-2009, 08:08 PM
^^ the NBA will ensure we dont get the #1 overall 3 years apart

kantarok
04-18-2009, 08:28 PM
Who cares about the #1 pick. We need the 3rd pick to get james harden

koreancabbage
04-18-2009, 08:32 PM

no i think we just hope we probably get the best player of this draft- which is going to be Blake Griffin. I don't like anyone in this draft but Griffin. Appears to be more of role-player types in this draft than anything. But of course, someone will surprise you (in a good way) hopefully the player we pick is that player lol. BC and his drafting- work your magic.

LD V2.0
04-18-2009, 10:08 PM

Reach for the top.:box:

dtmagnet
04-18-2009, 11:56 PM
What kind of player do you guys think Gerald Henderson will be? Do you think he could be the type of player Shane Battier is? If he is then he would probably be my choice to draft, everything I read about him talks about his defense and intensity, he apparently led Duke in blocked shots one year. Sounds a lot like Battier to me, solid defender does everything well just nothing great. If Bosh is gone then maybe consider someone like Jordan Hill? Someone help me I don't know enough about this draft.

More shats!
04-19-2009, 09:30 AM
What kind of player do you guys think Gerald Henderson will be? Do you think he could be the type of player Shane Battier is? If he is then he would probably be my choice to draft, everything I read about him talks about his defense and intensity, he apparently led Duke in blocked shots one year. Sounds a lot like Battier to me, solid defender does everything well just nothing great. If Bosh is gone then maybe consider someone like Jordan Hill? Someone help me I don't know enough about this draft.

Gerald Henderson is a lot more athletic than Shane battier, but that is a good comparison for the kind of role I see him having at the NBA. I see Gerald Henderson scoring more than Battier, but Shane is a much better defender though. I think Gerald in his prime will be a 14-16 ppg, 2-3 apg, 4-5 rpg and a solid 3rd option on a good team.

SUPER G is a Nice Nickname if you ask me.:clap:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zzPe2rZxSY

raptor fan
04-19-2009, 10:01 AM
Gerald Henderson is more a lot more athletic than Shane battier, but that is a good comparison for the kind of role I see him having at the NBA. I see Gerald Henderson scoring more than Battier, but Shane is a much better defender though. I think Gerald in his prime will be a 14-16 ppg, 2-3 apg, 4-5 rpg and a solid 3rd option on a good team.

SUPER G is a Nice Nickname if you ask me.:clap:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zzPe2rZxSY

yeah, that's basically what i expect from henderson. nothing too flashy, but he'd get the job done. derozen on the other hand, has the potential to be an 18-20ppg player, but he also has the ability to average 5ppg. it's going to be interesting which one of these 2 guys B.C picks, if he even ends up picking one of them.

raptor fan
04-19-2009, 10:29 AM
Basically, this is how i see the top 10 of the draft boiling down:

1) Kings: Blake Griffen
2) Wizards: Ricky Rubio
3) Clippers: Hasheem Thabeet
4) Thunder: James Harden
5) Grizzlies: (swap 5 and 35 for 6): Jordan Hill
6) T-wolves: Brandon Jennings
7) Warriors: Demar Derozen
8) Knicks: Gerald Henderson
9) Raptors: Earl Clark
10) Bucks: Tyreke Evans

nearyG
04-19-2009, 02:00 PM
Unless we get a top 5 pick...TYREKE EVANS!!!!!!!!!!!

LD V2.0
04-20-2009, 09:46 AM
Sources close to the situation tell us that Curry will call a press conference shortly to announce he is putting his name in the draft. From what we understand, it’s very likely he keeps it in too. Curry looks like a pretty solid bet to get drafted somewhere in the 8-15 area, with teams like the Knicks, Nets and Suns currently looking to be the most interested amongst that group.
Draft Express (http://www.draftexpress.com/article/Word-on-the-Street-April-20-3188/)

Curry is the kind of combo guard who could come in and play a Leandro Barbosa or TJ Ford type role for the Raptors. In case you aren't aware of it, he's the son of former Raptor Dell Curry.

GodsSon
04-20-2009, 11:29 AM
^ i sense JJ Redick part II with this guy...i would stay away

More shats!
04-21-2009, 04:44 AM
Ricky Rubio, the Spanish point guard sensation that has been compared to everyone from Pete Maravich to Steve Nash will declare for the 2009 NBA draft, his agent, Dan Fegan, told ESPN.com from Barcelona Monday afternoon.

Rubio will have until June 15 to withdraw his name from the draft. However, his agent sounded confident that he's staying in.

"Ricky will be in the 2009 draft," Fegan said. Fegan has been in Barcelona this week meeting with Rubio and his family trying to come to a decision.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/draft2009/news/story?id=4084579

carlo4444
04-21-2009, 05:26 AM
oi what pick do you think that raps are most likely getting? i havent been paying attetion lately. but u think we could actually get a top 5 pick? and i want ricky rubio:pray: but we already have jose.

More shats!
04-21-2009, 07:00 AM
Two NBA sources said Monday that Duke junior Gerald Henderson will enter the draft, which would be a major loss to a Blue Devils squad that returns every other starter for next season.

http://www.wralsportsfan.com/duke/story/4987721/

GodsSon
04-21-2009, 11:41 AM
Top Spanish basketball prospect Ricky Rubio has decided to enter June's NBA draft, according to reports Tuesday. The 18-year-old Rubio, who is under contract with Spanish club DKV Joventut through 2011, has been rated as one of the top picks for the June 25 draft.

http://tsn.ca/nba/story/?id=275861

Good news for Toronto as it adds more depth to the draft

RaffyBoy
04-21-2009, 02:35 PM
This is a bonus for this weak draft

kantarok
04-21-2009, 03:10 PM

That is exactly why most do not want him. This is the NBA not Europe. You need to stop dreaming about euro game translating into the NBA, if u want to watch euro type ball then go to europe.

kantarok
04-21-2009, 03:14 PM
no i think we just hope we probably get the best player of this draft- which is going to be Blake Griffin. I don't like anyone in this draft but Griffin. Appears to be more of role-player types in this draft than anything. But of course, someone will surprise you (in a good way) hopefully the player we pick is that player lol. BC and his drafting- work your magic.

Who cares what you like? All the GM cares about is making our team good and keeping Bosh, so we need a good wing player and that is harden or derozan.Simple

More shats!
04-23-2009, 02:01 PM
DAVIDSON, N.C. -- Davidson guard Stephen Curry will skip his senior season and take his sweet shooting stroke to the NBA.

After weeks struggling to decide, the nation's leading scorer announced Thursday that he'll enter the NBA draft, where he could be a lottery pick.

With his father, former NBA sharpshooter Dell Curry, and Davidson coach Bob McKillop nearby, the nation's leading scorer said at an on-campus news conference that his goal has always been to play in the NBA.

"I think I'm mentally and physically ready to make that jump," said Curry, who believes he'll be selected somewhere between seventh and 20th overall. "This is a dream of mine since I was a little kid."

The lightly recruited Curry burst onto the national scene a year ago in helping tiny Davidson get within a missed a 3-pointer of the Final Four. The 6-foot-3 Curry moved to point guard this season and averaged 28.6 points. He had 15 games of 30 or more points and three of 40 or more.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/draft2009/news/story?id=4091745

dtmagnet
04-23-2009, 04:20 PM
So what do you think, is the second pick Colangelo is after gonna be for Curry?

GodsSon
04-23-2009, 04:43 PM
^ I think Teague

GodsSon
04-23-2009, 04:52 PM
looking at the Thunder forum, it looks like they want/need a C or a PG (thabeet/jennings)...again, anyone think its possible Harden could fall to us?.

td0tsfinest
04-23-2009, 05:47 PM
do you guys think we should draft ricky rubio if we end up with the 2nd pick in this draft?

dtmagnet
04-23-2009, 06:58 PM
do you guys think we should draft ricky rubio if we end up with the 2nd pick in this draft?

I'd pick him if we landed the 1st pick, but thats me.

td0tsfinest
04-23-2009, 08:30 PM
I'd pick him if we landed the 1st pick, but thats me.

haha. The kid's got great upside. He's not a guy that we could pass, if he's available.

pebloemer
04-23-2009, 10:28 PM

Yes. At 2nd pick in the draft, he would definitely be the 2nd best player available. I don't think the Raptor's would be able to draft based on need if Rubio's names was available to them.

td0tsfinest
04-23-2009, 10:49 PM
looking at the Thunder forum, it looks like they want/need a C or a PG (thabeet/jennings)...again, anyone think its possible Harden could fall to us?.

They want a PG? Isn't Westbrook their Point Guard? And he had a great season for them. If anything, they should be looking for a C or PF.

katman
04-24-2009, 08:22 AM
First off, if you get the first pick you trade it away + Banks/Kapono for as good a player as you can get.

SpeedyRecovery
04-24-2009, 09:39 AM

i don't think we are going to get the 2nd pick, but if we did i wouldn't mind picking him up. this draft is weak anyway you look at it and not many players are going to be nba ready. we might as well get a solid backup pg which is one of the main things we need.
if it worked out we could ship jose out after this year, or something. but i hate saying "if" in these forums so i'll let you guys go on about it and i'll read at work!

td0tsfinest
04-24-2009, 10:51 AM
^ I was thinking about that as well. Roko has played ok but he's made some bad decision making. Rubio could come in as a backup and maybe Jose could shift to the 2 guard every so often.

katman
04-24-2009, 10:55 AM
Why are we wasting a pick on a backup (not to mention 3 PG signed) when we have 2 holes in our starting line up SG & SF?

dtmagnet
04-24-2009, 12:00 PM
Why are we wasting a pick on a backup (not to mention 3 PG signed) when we have 2 holes in our starting line up SG & SF?

Because if we got the 2nd pick, Rubio is the best available player at that spot. Plus people are calling Rubio the Spanish Steve Nash who is a better scorer.

td0tsfinest
04-24-2009, 12:23 PM

This is a very weak draft. Don't get warped into thinking that all these guards are Allstar potential players. They maybe one day but regardless, after Blake Griffin and Ricky Rubio, guys between 3-20 can go anywhere in the draft. If we're in the position of grabbing a guy who is being compared to Steve Nash and Walt Frazier.

After seeing him play in the Olympics, this kid really caught my attention. It would be real hard to pass the guy.

I've always believed in drafting the best player available especially in a weak draft like this.

More shats!
04-24-2009, 07:09 PM
So what do you think, is the second pick Colangelo is after gonna be for Curry?

I don't think Curry is going to available after the 14 pick so I don't think BC will be able to get him with the second pick.

I think this are the guys we need to look at if BC gets a second pick:

Jonny Flynn
DeJuan Blair
Terrence Williams
Ty Lawson
Jeff Teague
BJ Mullens
Eric Maynor

More shats!
04-24-2009, 07:15 PM
Jonathan Givony: Hello DeJuan. Thanks for your time. So can you just fill us in, whatís going on with you, where you are at? Are you finishing up the year at Pitt?

DeJuan Blair: Iím just finishing up the semester, getting stuff done with school, then you know, getting ready for the journey, as I like to call it.

Jonathan Givony: So, it seems like your coaching staff made a pretty big push to keep you at Pitt, and I guess they may have come away a little disappointed. Has there been any lingering effects of that?

DeJuan Blair: Yeah but, I would have done the same thing. Not to be big-headed, but who I am, and what I am to the team, but you know I had to make a decision and I think I made the right one. So, you know, its good for me and my family and everything, and it made them (Pitt) look good also, getting an NBA prospect out there, so, itís going to be fun.

Jonathan Givony: Now that youíre 100 percent in the draft, what are you focusing on most in terms of preparing yourself for the private workouts?

DeJuan Blair: Iím focusing on my quickness and my agility and my jump shot. Thatís about it, these things, all my weaknesses, try to power my power, my finesse skills also. So Iím working on a lot of stuff, its going to be a good May for me.

Jonathan Givony: So youíre going to be doing some private workouts here after the early entry deadline comes out, is there any particular player youíre looking forward to competing against? Someone you saw on TV? Someone from the Big East? Something like that?

DeJuan Blair: Nah, Iíll take whoeverís in my way and show what I can do against them. Itís going to be like a game, Iím going to be out for everyone, just like everyone is going to be out for me. So Iím going to have fun at the same time, as me doing business, so Iím getting to meet a lot of people, you know, just having a nice little bang with everybody that Iíve been seeing. Itís going to be fun, I canít wait for it to happen.

Jonathan Givony: What have people told you about the draft process? Any players youíve talked to or any guys that have been through it already that are helping you prepare for it?

DeJuan Blair: I actually talked to Amare Stoudemire a little bit, but I havenít talked to him a lot about the draft process. Iím just going to take it one step at a time hopefully itíll come out to my advantage, to the best of my ability. Just like I said, I just want to have fun on the journey, its going to be fun, you know. Itís going to be a long one, a tough one, but at the same time you still gotta have fun and enjoy the program. A lot of people from my city havenít been exposed to whatís about to go down for me, and thatís a blessing off top, but with me working out, and me losing weight and things like that, itís going to be all right man. I just wanna have fun.

Jonathan Givony: Not only were you the best offensive rebounder in college basketball this year, but according to an article I saw by Luke Winn, you were the best offensive rebounder in the last eight or nine years of college basketball. Can you take us through the nuances of what makes a great offensive rebounder from a technical standpoint?

DeJuan Blair: Like I tell everyone who asks me that, youíve just got to go get the ball. You canít just let the ball come to you, cause if you let the ball come to you, then itís a chance that both of yíall can get it. If you outwork the next guy, and jump, and reach for the ball, itís going to be an 80% chance that you can get the ball. If you go get the ball, I donít know if you watched any of the games, I like to tap the ball to myself, or tap em off the glass, and get a lot of them. The big key of it is to go get it, donít let it come to you. Thatís what I do. I try to move everybody out of the way and go get it.

Jonathan Givony: As the shot is going up in the air, letís say Levance Fields is shooting a three, are you looking at the trajectory of the ball, or trying to, kind of predict the angle itís going to come off?

DeJuan Blair: Yeah yeah yeah. You gotta go take the angle. First of all your rebounding IQ has got to be pretty good just to go get the ball, you gotta go get it, and you gotta know where its going to come off at, and just go get it and chase it down. It takes a lot of hustle, its going to take a lot out of you, but at the end of the day thatís going to be big. Thatís what I try to do, I try to have fun, try to go down there and just get it. Sometimes it bounces to me, sometimes it bounces away from me. Its fun, its fun rebounding.

Jonathan Givony: How do you feel about how your rebounding can translate to the NBA level, where everybody is bigger, theyíre stronger, theyíre longer, theyíre quicker, they can jump higher, what are your thoughts on that?

DeJuan Blair: Thatís just a bigger challenge youíve got to step up to. Thereís gonna be a lot of big people, a lot of big guys, so Iím just gonna try to keep doing what I was doing. Nobody is gonna stop me from getting the ball, and if they do. Iím going to try harder to go get it. So hopefully I can keep it up in the NBA.

http://www.draftexpress.com/article/DeJuan-Blair-Nobody-is-gonna-stop-me-from-getting-the-ball-3191/

GodsSon
04-24-2009, 08:54 PM
They want a PG? Isn't Westbrook their Point Guard? And he had a great season for them. If anything, they should be looking for a C or PF.

They were talking about how they would move him to the 2...so with that said, the Thunder MIGHT have their eye on either Jennings or Evans.

More shats!
04-25-2009, 10:04 AM
Though Blake Griffin is clearly the headliner of this year's group of power forwards, we’ve compiled significant data to thoroughly investigate the depth and versatility of this class from top to bottom to identify trends and make some observations.

Thanks to our friends over at Synergy Sports Technology, we have access to the most thorough situational statistics available today. Synergy keeps track of every possession of a huge amount of college basketball games—thus accumulating an incredible wealth of extremely informative data. Many of these statistics offer excellent insight into the players we evaluate, so we’ve taken the time to compile and sort through them in an effort to distinguish which players are, for instance, the most productive back to the basket threats, the most effective finishers around the basket, the most likely to draw fouls on a given possession, and the most efficient jump shooters. With 24 of the top power forwards tabulated on our spreadsheet, we’ve created a short list of the most interesting things we’ve learned about this year’s crop of prospects.

Before you look at our findings, it is important to realize that there are some limitations to our analysis. For example, prospects on lower level teams will have some games and thus possessions missing each year. The exact breakdown of specific possession types can be highly subjective and thus somewhat inconsistent at times as well, which means that this data always needs to be taken with a grain of salt. We’ve tried to steer away from utilizing data that wouldn’t be considered statistically significant, but considering how short the college season is, that’s not always easy. Our data obviously does not account for neither the strength of a player’s teammates, nor his level of competition.

Findings

• Blake Griffin’s spot at the top of draft is more than justified by breaking down his advanced statistics, as it truly emphasizes just how impressive a prospect he is from a physical standpoint.

Not only did Griffin garner the most possessions of any PF in the draft at finishing around the basket per game (7.9), but he's also the #1 finisher as well, connecting on an outrageous 75.5% of his short range attempts, not including post ups. While his overall points per possession (PPP) of 1.08 ranks fourth, thanks to the fact that he’s fouled on 18.5% of his possessions, has finished 51 of his 61 attempts in transition, and ranks amongst the best finishers when cutting to the rim at 1.52 PPP. Athleticism, strength, and tenacity aside, those numbers alone go a long way towards explaining why he’s such a coveted prospect considering he’s managed to generate 20.2 total possessions per game (good for 3rd on our list) while still getting the job done in the post (53% on 7.9 Pos/G).

Another player who really stands out with his ability to finish around the rim is Patrick Patterson, who converts 73% of his opportunities around the basket (4th best), on an outstanding 1.48 PPP (2nd best). Patterson's terrific length and athleticism, combined with his huge hands and tenacity made him quite a force at the college level--which also shows up in his ability to produce efficiently in transition and off basket cuts. His jump-shot, post-up game and ability to create his own shot appear to lack polish, though.

• The age old debate over potential and production will be a key point of debate in the lottery.

Looking over the numbers of our top power forwards, we noticed a number of players who are projected as lottery picks that don’t look the part on paper. Sitting just behind Griffin in our rankings, we find Jordan Hill, who’s overall Points Per Possession of.94 places him slightly below the mean of .98, not quite what one would expect from a potential top-5 draft pick. Looking deeper, we realize that Hill ranks right around the average in a number of areas. He surprisingly connects on just 63.87% of his finishing opportunities not including post ups, and only scores on 49.6% of his logged possessions –sitting just off the mean in both categories. Much of Hill’s lack of efficiency can be attributed to the fact that he only gets fouled on 10.4% of his possessions and gets very few touches in transition (16th at 1.1 Pos/g) and basket cut situations (15th at 1.8), two scenarios where he’s effective ( 1.33 and 1.43 PPP respectively). The other factor working against Hill is his jumper, which we’ll discuss later.

Clearly teams are valuing Hill’s upside quite a bit. He’s already a productive rebounder and has a lot of potential long-term as a defender, but his offense doesn’t stand out amongst his peers. He’s raw, but some teams see his physical profile and athleticism and assume he will be a player that develops into a bigger threat on the next level.

Another player in that boat is Earl Clark, but his production looks a bit poor for other reasons.

One of the more perimeter oriented players in this pool, Clark earns two dubious distinctions. First, he’s the most turnover prone, giving the ball away on 18.7% of his logged possessions. Second, his Points Per Possession of .85 ranks him last on our list. A bit stuck between the three and four position, Clark’s poor PPP stems from the fact that he took 5.3 jump shots per game (1st in our sample) and only managed to get fouled of only 9.3% of his possessions (23rd). Unfortunately, his ability to play the three doesn’t excuse the fact that he falls below the mean FG% in post ups (46% - even), fast breaks (54% - 16% below), pick and rolls (38% - 11% below), isolations (38% - 4% below), and basket cuts (55% - 13% below).

Given Clark’s lack of efficiency across the board, the team that picks him will be banking on him utilizing his athleticism to his advantage to create mismatches and develop the type of consistency he’ll need to be productive. Obviously players who have as many tools as Clark deserve some credit for what they could bring to the table down the road, particularly defensively, but how much remains to be seen.

http://www.draftexpress.com/article/Situational-Statistics-This-Yearas-Power-Forward-Crop-3190

More shats!
04-25-2009, 10:07 AM
One of the weaker positions in this year’s draft, the small forward spot is one of the hardest to analyze due to the diversity of the prospects available. Demar DeRozan headlines a group of players facing a lot of questions about how their games will translate to the next level.

Once again, we’ll be using our access to Synergy Sports Technology’s wealth of data to examine the situational strengths and weaknesses of a group of players to identify potential issues, make comparisons, and draw some conclusions moving into the draft season.

The small forward position offers a number of unique challenges when attempting to analyze it thoroughly due to the fact that many of the prospects at this spot are playing in foreign Leagues and that small forwards play so many different roles for any given team.

With that in mind, we find a number of players skewing the data in one direction or another based on how they function in their team’s offense. To give you an insight into the difficulties that we ran into, consider the differences in the statistics gathered for a European point-forward like Emir Preldzic, an interior-minded bruiser like Tasmin Mitchell, and a finesse scorer like Chase Budinger. Perhaps the most important thing we’ve realized from our analysis is how a player’s fit in a particular system can make them more or less attractive in the eyes of a given team.

Rather than making broad observations like we did in our last piece, we’ve decided that it would be more beneficial to talk about each individual in an effort to understand where they fit and where they would be limited.

Findings

• Whichever team drafts Demar DeRozan will be picking him in the hopes that he’ll growing into their system, and not because he’s already a great fit.

Unlike every other player in our analysis, DeRozan doesn’t make a living in any one situation, though he is one of the most efficient players on our list. In our last piece we discussed the new %Score stat which indicates how frequently a player scored a point based on their logged possessions. DeRozan ranks first amongst the nineteen players on our list at 54.4%. However, he ranks only 16th in overall PPP. This disparity stems from the fact that he shoots nearly three less three-pointers per game than the average player on our list (4.3 vs. 1.3) and ranks last in terms of three-point percentage at just 16.7%. He doesn’t get to the free throw line at a great rate to compensate and only converts on a mediocre 65% of his attempts once there. He makes up for that by shooting 49% from the field on his isolation opportunities (4th), knocking down his catch and shoot jumpers at a 43% clip (6th), and hitting 41% of his pull ups as well (4th). Clearly DeRozan has a solid knack for operating in the mid-range area, which should serve him well in the more spacing-friendly NBA. He’s also a good offensive rebounder—a testament to his excellent physical tools.

Outside of those areas, DeRozan proves a very average player across the board. His defensive rebounding totals sit just below the mean as does his assists numbers, PPP working off of cuts (1.22) and as a finisher around the rim in general (1.14). He sits a bit further below the average in a number of other situations including spot up (1.02 vs. 0.93) and transition opportunities (1.19 vs 1.03). Considering that he didn’t do almost any posting up (0.3 Pos/G) or shooting coming off of screens (0.7 Pos/G), the weight teams put on how significantly they believe he can improve his range and ability to improve his efficiency in a defined system will likely determine where he lands on draft day. A freak athlete, DeRozan has some natural offensive talent, but he’s essentially a blank canvas in terms of what kind of player he can be in the long run. Whoever picks him will obviously need to be patient, although he may more upside that arguably any wing player in this draft.

•Chase Budinger projects as role-player almost anywhere, but would be a real asset if he was as consistent as he is versatile.

Outside of his great frame and leaping ability, Budinger’s biggest strength is just how many different things he does well. His assist numbers rank him fourth on our list, his 1.25 PPP (points per possession) as a finisher ranks him third, and he’s amongst the top-5 in Pos/G from catch and shoot jumpers (5.2), pull up jumpers (2.1), transition opportunities (3.1), basket cuts (1.9), and shots off of screens (2). While he’s getting his touches from all over the place, he doesn’t rank in top-5 in PPP in any of those situations. His %TO (12.6%) and %SF (possessions he drew fouls, 12%) are both average as well, since neither figure skews his PPP statistical, it appears that Budinger is a jack of all trades, but a master of none, except possibly his spot-up 3-point shooting. He situational stats indicate that he struggles creating his own shot, pulling up off the dribble, and making perimeter jumpers with a hand in his face.

Though Budinger doesn’t stand out in any particular area, there are definitely some things to work with. Considering he won’t be relied upon to score in the NBA anywhere near as heavily as he was at Arizona, his efficiency should improve. His athleticism will come in very handy in terms of finishing around the basket and running the floor in transition, and his court vision and basketball IQ will help him become a solid facilitator in half-court offenses. This all combined means he does not necessarily have to become a one-dimensional player in the NBA. The team that drafts him can likely expect him to adjust to the NBA fairly quickly considering his experience and fundamentals. Much like DeRozan, Budinger fits in a number of systems, but while DeRozan needs overall polish to reach his potential, Budinger needs specialization to become a high-quality role-player. That doesn’t include anything regarding his defense, though, which we will explore further at a later stage.

http://www.draftexpress.com/article/Situational-Statistics-This-Yearas-Small-Forward-Crop-3192