PDA

View Full Version : Terry Porter never had a chance

DerekRE_3
03-05-2009, 07:12 PM
My newest article talks about Terry Porter's time in Phoenix. In my opinion, he didn't get a fair shot with them as their management clashed with his philosophy, and so did his players. What do you guys think? Was it Terry Porter's fault in Phoenix? The front office? The Players? All the above?

http://davissportsdeli.com/wordpress/2009/03/05/terry-porter-never-had-a-chance/

oldenpolynice
03-05-2009, 07:23 PM
My newest article talks about Terry Porter's time in Phoenix. In my opinion, he didn't get a fair shot with them as their management clashed with his philosophy, and so did his players. What do you guys think? Was it Terry Porter's fault in Phoenix? The front office? The Players? All the above?

http://davissportsdeli.com/wordpress/2009/03/05/terry-porter-never-had-a-chance/

I really like the direction your article takes. IMO, it was a mix of TP's fault and the organization's. He was the wrong man for the job, but it was a bad decision on the part of the Suns to try to switch styles of play in the first place.

I'd say that org. is more responsible for the failure than TP. They should have known their personnel better, and gone in a different coaching direction from the beginning.

greatest
03-05-2009, 07:24 PM
exactly...i wouldnt say he was a bad coach. the players just never wanted to adapt to that system. they werent used to it, and had no interest in it. unfortunately for Porter, he was the one who had it to lose. And i would say it was the front office. they should have made sure the whole team was gonna go in the same direction, now they are stuck in this mess.

DerekRE_3
03-05-2009, 07:28 PM
What I think the Suns just did, is waste a year by trying to change their philosophy as a team. Which is not good, since Nash is getting older, as are Grant Hill and Shaq. It seems like they are right back to where they were last year before the Shaq trade, but not as good since they got rid of guys like Marion and Bell. Diaw they could have lived without, since he's not nearly as good when he plays with A'mare.

oldenpolynice
03-05-2009, 08:24 PM
exactly...i wouldnt say he was a bad coach. the players just never wanted to adapt to that system. they werent used to it, and had no interest in it. unfortunately for Porter, he was the one who had it to lose. And i would say it was the front office. they should have made sure the whole team was gonna go in the same direction, now they are stuck in this mess.

Yup. And there's no way to get out until Shaq's contract is up (which, unfortunately, means that Nash won't get a chance to win anything significant with Phoenix other than his two MVP awards).

Big Game Son
03-05-2009, 08:27 PM
Porter/Kerr = x2 FAIL! Also if you wonder hy SHaq is talking so much its because hes going to miss the playoffs and that never happens.

ink
03-05-2009, 08:30 PM
I'd say that org. is more responsible for the failure than TP. They should have known their personnel better, and gone in a different coaching direction from the beginning.

Bullseye.

Vinny642
03-05-2009, 08:30 PM
i think Porter did decently good, shouldn't off been let go

ink
03-05-2009, 08:32 PM
i think Porter did decently good, shouldn't off been let go

I have to disagree with that. Management and players had several meetings trying to make things work any way they could. They had to abandon the approach they took with Porter because it would have resulted in a completely lost season. They may still miss the playoffs, but it's not because Porter didn't get a shot. It was just the wrong match of coach and personnel.

Good article Derek! :clap:

DerekRE_3
03-05-2009, 08:33 PM
I think the sad thing is, is that this is going to further tarnish Porter's coaching resume, even though he didn't do that bad of a job considering what he had to deal with.

ink
03-05-2009, 08:38 PM
I think the sad thing is, is that this is going to further tarnish Porter's coaching resume, even though he didn't do that bad of a job considering what he had to deal with.

I totally agree.

In fact, Nash was interviewed recently and he had huge regrets things didn't work out for TP. He doesn't blame him at all and thinks he put in a huge amount of effort. I hope Porter gets another chance with a roster more suited to his philosophy.

He'll probably have to go back to assistant coaching to make his way back up to head coaching. Talk about being thrown to the wolves on this one. He had to take over a Suns team famous for the full court game and try to remake them in half a season. That team cannot be remade in that way, and definitely not without the right defensive minded players.

Vinny642
03-05-2009, 08:41 PM
I have to disagree with that. Management and players had several meetings trying to make things work any way they could. They had to abandon the approach they took with Porter because it would have resulted in a completely lost season. They may still miss the playoffs, but it's not because Porter didn't get a shot. It was just the wrong match of coach and personnel.

Good article Derek! :clap:

Aww just put me down like that.

greatest
03-05-2009, 09:06 PM
i actually think they will make the playoffs. I think they have had a rebirth with their new system just in time to sneak right in. I just hope Amare will come back healthy and give whoever they play in the playoffs a rough time. unless its the Spurs, as I see they are the only team that have an opportunity to beat the Lakers :D

DerekRE_3
03-05-2009, 09:30 PM
i actually think they will make the playoffs. I think they have had a rebirth with their new system just in time to sneak right in. I just hope Amare will come back healthy and give whoever they play in the playoffs a rough time. unless its the Spurs, as I see they are the only team that have an opportunity to beat the Lakers :D

But that old style of play hasn't really done anything for them in the playoffs recently.

Dcup
03-05-2009, 09:39 PM
Look at what Porter did with Milwaukee...nothing. Look at what Skiles has done with Milwaukee with Redd gone for the year, and Bogut missing significant time. Porter is not capable of being a quality NBA head coach...IMO.

oldenpolynice
03-05-2009, 09:49 PM

I don't look at it as a "poor TP" kind of situation because he made the decision to take the job. It wasn't as if the Suns kidnapped him or anything.

He knew the personnel that was in place, he knew his own coaching style, and he must have known the expectations. And he took the job anyway. He'll land on his feet. And maybe next time he'll choose a team that is more suited to his strong points.

DerekRE_3
03-05-2009, 09:57 PM
I don't look at it as a "poor TP" kind of situation because he made the decision to take the job. It wasn't as if the Suns kidnapped him or anything.

He knew the personnel that was in place, he knew his own coaching style, and he must have known the expectations. And he took the job anyway. He'll land on his feet. And maybe next time he'll choose a team that is more suited to his strong points.

Yeah true, but it's hard to resist head coaching money regardless of what the situation is, especially if the Suns were the only team calling.

SJSHARKIES
03-05-2009, 10:06 PM
Both their faults, Porter and the ownership. Porter should know that you have to work to your teams strength and he didn't, he changed the offensive style to a half court team. Suns are a run and gun team, he was wrong to do that. It was ownership fault also, if you don't like the coaches philosophies why did you bring him in the first place? You should know he is a defensive minded coach. He played for the Spurs, he coached under Popovich, so it should come to no surprise that he is a defensive minded coach. More management fault than Porter's though.

superkegger
03-05-2009, 10:11 PM
I'm not sure Terry Porter is exactly head coaching material. With that said, he got the shaft. As already expressed, he tried to accomplish what they asked of him, institute defense. But it was a task he was not equipped to do. That's like asking a carpenter to pound in these nails, and then giving him a wrench. Poor decision making my Robert Sarver and Steve Kerr. Very poor.

SF25
03-05-2009, 10:44 PM

I agree as well. If your going to bring in a different style coach you need to at least give him time to establish his style of coaching and the Suns didn't do that.

briansc88
03-05-2009, 10:56 PM
I dont think Steve curr put alot of thought into the hire of terry porter any nba fan could clearly see that the suns are a run and gun fast break team and that is totally the opposite of what porter runs

vick27m
03-05-2009, 11:05 PM
the problem was his couching philosophy they are a run and gun team granted they struggled and the management is in chaos right now.

IndyRealist
03-05-2009, 11:28 PM
I have to disagree with some points:

The Sunsí front office did not get him the players he needed to have a defensive minded, half court team
I don't know that any organization could be expected to so radically shift a roster in the space of half a season. They had large, bloated contracts for players who were committed to the D'Antoni system. All of their decisions were made with a two year, Steve Nash sized window in mind. Honestly they did about the best they could. They brought in Barnes to shore up SF, and combined with Bell, Diaw, and Shaq, they should have been a half decent defensive team. Changes in team culture and mindset take more than 50 games.

GM Steve Kerr traded away the Sunsí best defensive player, Raja Bell, and one of the Suns most versatile players, Boris Diaw, to the Bobcats for Jason Richardson
By all accounts Raja Bell and Boris Diaw were traded because they disliked their roles in Porter's system and by extension, Porter as a coach. This was a move by Kerr only to back up his coach. They got a biter in Larry Brown, and got whatever they could for their dissenters.

Amare never accepted the new style of play, and the Suns put him on the trading block. They never found a deal to their liking, so their only choice left was to fire Porter.
This contradicts the point of the article, that management never backed Porter. If they were willing to trade Amar'e, long considered the future of the team, then how in the world could anyone say that management didn't back their coach?

Terry Porter was fired for one reason and one reason only, impatience. When Phoenix discovered that they would be stuck with their huge and immovable contracts, they faced a lost season. They faced unhappy fans used to 50 win seasons. They faced angry ownership unwilling to pay luxury tax to really build a team. They faced so much pressure to change -something-, that the coach was the only person they could get rid of. Porter ended up being the scapegoat for an impatient organization that promised more that it could deliver.

ink
03-06-2009, 01:14 AM
Aww just put me down like that.

Huh? I don't think I put you down. Sorry if I did because it was inadvertent.

Vinny642
03-06-2009, 01:18 AM
Huh? I don't think I put you down. Sorry if I did because it was inadvertent.

LOL na I was just kidding

Lakersfan2483
03-06-2009, 01:37 AM
The Suns owner and Steve Kerr have both done a poor job of managing the team and a result of their poor decision making, bad player moves, and decisions on coaches, have led to the team struggling this season.

rocky4104
03-06-2009, 02:11 AM
he just had the wrong personnel for his vision of a team

DerekRE_3
03-06-2009, 02:13 AM
he just had the wrong personnel for his vision of a team

Yeah but he was hired to bring a more defensive, half court minded approach by the Suns front office.

IndyRealist
03-06-2009, 02:35 AM
Show of hands, who thought half a season was long enough to change a D'Antoni team into the Spurs?

DerekRE_3
03-06-2009, 02:39 AM
Show of hands, who thought half a season was long enough to change a D'Antoni team into the Spurs?

Exactly, you can't expect a coach, no matter how good he is, to completely change the identity of a team without doing a complete overhaul of the roster.

JayW_1023
03-06-2009, 10:01 AM
The management choices the Suns made contradicted the kind of system Porter wanted to imply.

Diaw and Bell were keepers...and their two best wing defenders remaining after Marion left. J-Rich can dunk but one of the most overrated players in the NBA.

That deal put the nail in the coffin because Porters defensive philosophy obviously backfired with no half decent defender remaining on the Suns roster.

They should've gone after someone like Nocioni instead of Richardson.

rocky4104
03-06-2009, 10:18 AM
Yeah but he was hired to bring a more defensive, half court minded approach by the Suns front office.

its the FO's fault then :D