PDA

View Full Version : Van Gundy responds to Shaq

JJ81
03-05-2009, 06:40 PM
Stan Van Gundy walked into the Orlando Magic locker room Thursday morning, and before he could even prepare for practice, his players had a message.

"You better leave Shaq alone," forward Rashard Lewis told him.

And with that, the Flop-Flap continued.

A day after Shaquille O'Neal called his former coach with the Miami Heat "a master of panic" and "a frontrunner," Van Gundy responded by jokingly calling O'Neal a "very sensitive guy." He said everyone needs to "consider the source" before taking the comments too seriously.

The Magic coach said he didn't take O'Neal's remarks personal, but admitted O'Neal may have gone too far -- even for his usual jokes.

"That's not his normal comments," Van Gundy said after Orlando's practice Thursday. "Obviously I struck a nerve and hurt his feelings. Shaq's a very sensitive guy. If I hurt his feelings, I'm sorry."

The feud started after the Magic's 111-99 win over O'Neal's Phoenix Suns on Tuesday.

O'Neal was guarding Magic center Dwight Howard with about 4 minutes left in the third quarter. Howard made a spin move, O'Neal fell in an apparent flop trying to get an offensive foul called, and Howard easily dunked with two hands.

Afterward, Van Gundy said he was surprised by O'Neal's move. "I was shocked and very disappointed cause he knows what it's like. You know, let's stand up and play like men, and I think our guy did that."

And of course, O'Neal responded.

"One thing I really despise is a frontrunner," O'Neal said Wednesday before the Suns' game in Miami. "I know for a fact he's a master of panic and when it gets time for his team to go into the postseason and do certain things, he will let them down because of his panic. I've been there before. I've played for him."

The relationship between Van Gundy and O'Neal has been rocky for years.

O'Neal arrived in Miami for the 2004-05 season, helped the Heat win 59 games that season playing alongside Dwyane Wade and with Van Gundy on the sideline. But that season ended with a loss to the Detroit Pistons, a game where Miami squandered a six-point lead over the final 7 minutes. After the game, O'Neal said he didn't get the ball enough.

Van Gundy resigned 21 games into the next season, Pat Riley returned to the bench and the Heat won a championship, O'Neal's fourth title.

"I'm pretty sure that every player who's ever played for me doesn't hate me," Van Gundy said Thursday. "Now we'd have to do a survey, but I've coached a lot of guys, and I'm pretty sure there's one or two that don't hate me. I don't know that any liked me. But I'm pretty sure there's one or two who don't hate me. So I don't worry about that because, quite honestly, I don't think it's true."

Magic players defended their coach but refused to take a jab back at O'Neal.

"We like him," Lewis said of Van Gundy. "I mean, sometimes we don't because he screams and yells all the time, but that's just a part of him being the coach. As long as we continue to win games, you can't complain too much."

Howard has long been ridiculed by O'Neal for his use of the Superman nickname -- one they have both claimed. O'Neal has also called out Howard, saying he hasn't done anything in Orlando he hadn't done before.

On Thursday, Howard again sidestepped any barbs at O'Neal. But when asked if he tries to take charges or has ever attempted a flop, Howard said that's not a center's role.

"They've been trying to get me to take charges, and I just can't do it," Howard said. "When we do charge drills in practice, I don't like them. Like I tell my guys, I'm not taking a charge. If I'm 7 feet, I'm supposed to be blocking a shot."

Van Gundy said he was joking when he made the comments and didn't lose any sleep when O'Neal responded. He considers the feud over, but realized O'Neal may again fire back.

"I started it. I made my comment," Van Gundy said. "If you're going to dish it out, you've got to be able to take it. And I can take it."

Link: http://www.nba.com/2009/news/03/05/shaq.vangundy.ap/index.html

ink
03-05-2009, 06:42 PM
"Obviously I struck a nerve and hurt his feelings. Shaq's a very sensitive guy. If I hurt his feelings, I'm sorry."

Says it all IMO.

Joshtd1
03-05-2009, 06:48 PM
Agreed

ink
03-05-2009, 06:51 PM
^ And it's the best way to deal with Shaq. Just be cool and don't get into a war of words. I really like Shaq, but I'm also getting really really sick of Shaq. It's getting so old. I just want him to keep playing at the All Star level he's back at and retire like a true HOFer. He's too good for this.

macc
03-05-2009, 07:02 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqhUx_2YTN4

Mr Wonderful
03-05-2009, 07:02 PM
Shaq is beginning to annoy me, even that dumb *** long winded dancing at the All-Star game. Quit trying to be the center of attention.

MilfHunter07
03-05-2009, 07:05 PM
i have absolutlely no respect for shaq. he calls van gundy a front runner? look in the mirror *****. you quit on miami last year because you couldnt lose for the first time in your life. ****ing piece of ****.

JJ81
03-05-2009, 08:33 PM
i have absolutlely no respect for shaq. he calls van gundy a front runner? look in the mirror *****. you quit on miami last year because you couldnt lose for the first time in your life. ****ing piece of ****.

He's one of the most dominant players ever, you have to respect that, whether you like him or not.

MilfHunter07
03-05-2009, 08:47 PM
He's one of the most dominant players ever, you have to respect that, whether you like him or not.

congrats. youre dominant. you still have no respect to me if you quit on your team because oyu are having a tough year. just watch he'll start to quit and complain if phoenix falls out of it

kb24ap28
03-05-2009, 08:59 PM
congrats. youre dominant. you still have no respect to me if you quit on your team because oyu are having a tough year. just watch he'll start to quit and complain if phoenix falls out of it

i agree with u man. i started to lose respect starting with the kobe rap, and now this just adds fuel to the fire. shaq needs to get over himself. hes a contradicting hypocrite and should probably grow up.

fairandbalanced
03-05-2009, 09:03 PM

The way heat fans see Shaq is different from how Laker fans or the rest of the league view him. I mean, they was chanting "you suck Shaq" everytime he held the ball in Miami. That dude led Miami to a horrible start (ala D Wade injury) then bailed out, to a team in play-off contention. I am so excited Suns GM didn't bail him out this time around. Laker fans see him as a legend, Heat fans see him for what he is, a selfish, good for nothing ancient center of attention.

greatest
03-05-2009, 09:15 PM
Why does he rip so much on Howard?? How was Howard supposed to stop himself from being born like 12 years b4 Shaq?? So what if Shaq did it already, does that mean any C who is not as dominant as Shaq doesnt get any respect from him?? Dwight is doing great things, and deserves respect for them. wether Shaq did em b4 or not, it still takes skill to get it done.

MilfHunter07
03-05-2009, 09:16 PM
i agree with u man. i started to lose respect starting with the kobe rap, and now this just adds fuel to the fire. shaq needs to get over himself. hes a contradicting hypocrite and should probably grow up.

i dont care about the rap stuff. i ust have no respect with a guy who bails on a team. hes a primadona

Fly_High
03-05-2009, 09:23 PM

no u dont.

Kakaroach
03-05-2009, 09:29 PM
Wow its one thing to call just anyone that, but your former coach?! That's just disrespectful and ridiculous.

greatest
03-05-2009, 09:32 PM

no you dont, kobe is a good player, i have no respect for him whatsoever.

Indi23
03-05-2009, 09:50 PM

And you are? lol do u think the best center of this era cares about a guy on a sports forum?

He won 4 titles, broke records still considered to be a super bigman at his age... We wont run in to another 30 and 10 center for a while

You have no respct for him... Again who are you?

still1ballin
03-05-2009, 09:59 PM
Says it all IMO.

Thx for summing it up, I was too lazy to read it all.:D

MilfHunter07
03-05-2009, 10:17 PM
And you are? lol do u think the best center of this era cares about a guy on a sports forum?

He won 4 titles, broke records still considered to be a super bigman at his age... We wont run in to another 30 and 10 center for a while

i dont care who i am. a lot of people have no respect for him. nobody likes a quitter. he calls van gundy a front runner, when truth is, he is the front runner/ the big cactus? more like the big quitter

lorenz00
03-05-2009, 10:24 PM
wow oneil is going too far first it was bosh now its van gundy

DieselPowered32
03-05-2009, 11:34 PM
Shaq needs to go on a rant about Stern....now that would be gold

Jacob K.
03-05-2009, 11:43 PM
Why does he rip so much on Howard?? How was Howard supposed to stop himself from being born like 12 years b4 Shaq?? So what if Shaq did it already, does that mean any C who is not as dominant as Shaq doesnt get any respect from him?? Dwight is doing great things, and deserves respect for them. wether Shaq did em b4 or not, it still takes skill to get it done.

hes threatened by him. hes scared to death that howard will go on and do even better things then he did

KnickVeteran
03-05-2009, 11:53 PM
If you're going to make comments trying to question my manhood, I'd respond the same way Shaq did. I find nothing wrong with the comments. Don't diss out stuff and not think that the other party will keep quiet. I wasn't raise like that and I'm pretty sure Shaq wasn't either.

LAKERS 24/7
03-06-2009, 01:47 AM
Shaq needs to go on a rant about Stern....now that would be gold

haha. that would be great

It doesn't matter who he is specifically, because he is a fan who singularly represents thousands of fans across the globe who feel the same way (including me).

Rox07
03-06-2009, 02:47 AM
This just proves to me how much greater kobe has matured in comparison to shaq. Once they broke up they have both gone opposite ways.

ink
03-06-2009, 03:16 AM
This just proves to me how much greater kobe has matured in comparison to shaq. Once they broke up they have both gone opposite ways.

Have to agree with that.

Iron24th
03-06-2009, 03:28 AM
As much as I love Shaq,sometimes he looks so stupid.

baller1532
03-08-2009, 05:14 PM

u think he cares? he is one of the most famous players ever!