PDA

View Full Version : Pops Mensah-Bonsu

apbaman
03-05-2009, 10:23 AM
From ESPN:

Mensah-Bonsu said Wednesday in Dallas that he will sign with the Toronto Raptors, possibly as soon as Thursday, after getting what NBA front-office sources described as guaranteed offers for the rest of the season from Toronto and the Oklahoma City Thunder. "It was a tossup," Mensah-Bonsu said after being waived by the Spurs earlier Wednesday to make roster room for the forthcoming arrival in San Antonio of Drew Gooden. "I think there might be more minutes at my position with the Raptors and they wanted me even before I came to San Antonio. So I decided I'm going to go to Toronto." ESPN.com

pebloemer
03-05-2009, 10:57 AM
Good to know. I'd be interested in seeing if he could become a solid rotation player. The D-League produces more misses than hits, but occasionally it can pay off. Glad BC continues to look at his options even after the deadline has passed. He has a lot of decisions to make in the off-season.

Frank Costanza
03-05-2009, 11:03 AM
i cant see how this guy will be better than patrick obryant, but i guess we have games to try and showcase

raptor fan
03-05-2009, 11:31 AM
i like this pickup; he's another young big body that we could really use on our team. in 3 games with the spurs, he's averaging 5ppg and 3.3RPG. i know that's not saying much, but POB hasn't scored a point yet and has only grabbed one rebound so far. i think he might be a good replacement until humphries comes back. however, he's undersized for the C position. he's only 6'10 and i dont think he will really help us in our attempt to guard the dominant centers in the league. but its a good idea to bring him in.

More shats!
03-05-2009, 01:09 PM
I found the link http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3952805.

I think this is a very good signing and he brings hustle,energy and rebounding things the Raps really lack.He did good when he play with the Spurs so i think he will help and he pick us over Oklahoma so i am very happy he sign here because he wanted to.

More shats!
03-05-2009, 01:21 PM
He play 3 games with the Spurs, average 5 ppg and 3 rpg in 6 mpg.

Highligts of his first game with the spurs.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cueBM8b9WQU

katman
03-05-2009, 02:03 PM
Wow, now I know we are really crap....when we're generating positive buzz about a D-league signing lol

RapsJunkie
03-05-2009, 02:34 PM
A quote from another NBA forum:

This doesn't qualify as huge news by any stretch of the imagination but there's a new Raptor in town. Keep it under your hat until it becomes official later today but they're signing Pops Mensah-Bonsu to a contract through the rest of the season.

Now, for all of you still reading and not racing out to grab up the first of the replica jerseys, Pops is a 6-9 forward who's bounced around the NBA for a couple of seasons.

He's been in the news - no, wait - make that he's been in the transactions recently after being cut adrift by the San Antonio Spurs this week when they decided they could use Drew Gooden more than Mensah-Bonsui.

But Pops - not to be confused with Pape - did have one biggie of a game, with six rebounds and 11 points last week for the Spurs against the Cavaliers.

So, where's he fit?

Well, after watching guys like James Singleton and Carl Landry chew up the Raptors in Texas this week, Pape, er, Pops is probably going to fit in right behind Chris Bosh and Andrea Bargnani on nights Jay Triano doesn't feel entirely confident using Jake Voskuhl or Patrick O'Bryant, which is pretty much every night, although Jakle will see time against big thick bigs I imagine.

Pops is actually in town for a second time. He was one of the guys Bryan was looking at right before the trade deadline. He didn't get the gig then because Bryan was able to turn Will Solomon into a warm body.

Jonathan2323
03-05-2009, 02:37 PM
good signing

* Jamario Moon has been playing great.

RapsJunkie
03-05-2009, 02:46 PM
good signing

You should put his picture, with his goofy *** grade 10 mustache in your sig then...

We'll see on Friday... Raps vs. Heat. I'll be there a few rows back from the court, and for the first time ever I'll be screaming "shoot the J" instead of "No No No!!! Jamario Don't Shoot" when he considers an ill advised 3 ball.

pebloemer
03-05-2009, 02:48 PM
Wow, now I know we are really crap....when we're generating positive buzz about a D-league signing lol

What's not to like about the D-League signing? It is a no risk signing with a potential to help the team. See nothing wrong with people being pleased about that, regardless whether you're the Spurs or you're the Raptors.

DaoudS
03-05-2009, 03:04 PM
I love this signing. I saw him play a couple of times and tons of energy. I think he will push to replace Hump.

jasondrobinson
03-05-2009, 03:37 PM
good signing

ive watched some miami games recently and jamario has looked really good (for Jamario) definitly looks nice next to Wade. I still like the trade though

nads83
03-05-2009, 04:07 PM
again. quite obvious jamario is no throw in. calderon just didnt find him enough to be effective

nads83
03-05-2009, 04:07 PM
as for pops. i like the pickup.

jrob23
03-05-2009, 04:23 PM
good signing

you see that alley last night? woow

wish toronto could've used his talents like that but jose doesn't take chances

anyways watching the clip of him vs the cavs impressed me, nice to see him throw down over big Z

lets see him in the line up ASAP as we have nothing to lose

Jacob K.
03-05-2009, 05:18 PM
hopefully he can do something. this whole thing makes me so depressed. we were supposed to be gunning up for the playoffs about now, not signing guys to see what the can do

_Sn1P3r_
03-05-2009, 05:34 PM
I think he'll be a nice addition, Jay should play him. He is an athletic big and that could be a good asset off the bench for us.

Nexus
03-05-2009, 05:38 PM
Pops is averaging 5 and 3 or w/e, but that includes one out of three games with one minute of playing time. The other two games:

11 points, 6 rebounds 3-3, 5-7 in 12 minutes and...
4 points, 3 rebounds, 2-4 in 7 minutes

_Sn1P3r_
03-05-2009, 05:52 PM
Not bad at all. ^ He might be able to produce a lot in limited minutes but he just needs a chance to prove it. POB is not getting any PT, so hopefully Pops will.

blujaysrock
03-05-2009, 06:00 PM
He can't be any worse than Jake and POB, nice pick up

Joshtd1
03-05-2009, 06:03 PM
Nice signing. I really liked Pops in his limited stay with us, and was hoping we would have kept him..but since we are in win now mode, Gooden is the obvious choice. I hope he works out for you guys. He really hustles, and goes 100% each game.

hades
03-05-2009, 09:12 PM
i like the hustle.. given the right opportunity.. i can see this guy thrive.

smith&wesson
03-05-2009, 10:29 PM
great another good for nothing bigman that will see maybe 5 mins a game and never develop. how many of these guys have we had ? pape sow, nathan jawai, the more recent one - jake vosgue or whatever his name is... seems like we sign a crappy 3 string centre that never amounts to nothing every year. whens hump coming back .. i love that guy .. nothing but heart and hustle.

lorenz00
03-05-2009, 10:44 PM
is this guy front court? or wing.? lol

koreancabbage
03-05-2009, 10:45 PM
is this guy front court? or wing.? lol

front court

SF or PF type. hustle player

smith&wesson
03-05-2009, 11:20 PM
he basically a poor mans humph.... and humph's salary is pretty low so i dont know what that says about pop or pap or what ever his name is. pap smear i dont know. lol

Bob_at_york
03-06-2009, 12:08 AM
great another good for nothing bigman that will see maybe 5 mins a game and never develop. how many of these guys have we had ? pape sow,b] nathan jawai,[/b] the more recent one - jake vosgue or whatever his name is... seems like we sign a crappy 3 string centre that never amounts to nothing every year. whens hump coming back .. i love that guy .. nothing but heart and hustle.

you have given up on him already? Jawai hasn't even gotten into game shape yet.

Big Game Son
03-06-2009, 02:40 AM
he basically a poor mans humph.... and humph's salary is pretty low so i dont know what that says about pop or pap or what ever his name is. pap smear i dont know. lol

I really hope Humphries is gone in the offseason. I hate his game. Lackluster unathletic garbage. If he isnt gone. He is going to drop in the rotation huge for sure. This Pop guy will be ahead of him for sure anyway.

SpeedyRecovery
03-06-2009, 09:06 AM
whens hump coming back .. i love that guy .. nothing but heart and hustle.

that's a great question.. can anybody tell us??

JermanJaysFan
03-06-2009, 11:29 AM
that's a great question.. can anybody tell us??

Q: Hey Doug, any clue on when, if ever, we will expect Humphries back?

Dustin J, Minneapolis

A: Hmm, I smell some old Big Ten allegiances.

But I think itís going to be at least 10 days before the Humpís ready to go. He just off the crutches a while ago, and glancing at the schedule for practices and games, youíre looking at the start of the week after next.
http://thestar.blogs.com/raptors/2009/03/index.html

dtmagnet
03-06-2009, 07:44 PM
That's good to hear, after finding out it was a fracture I didn't expect him back this season. Hump when he doesn't take jumpshots=solid bench player.

_Sn1P3r_
03-06-2009, 07:54 PM
YUp. ^ He's an energy guy. Him and Pops could be nice off the bench together.

Macedonian
03-06-2009, 07:59 PM
Pops is averaging 5 and 3 or w/e, but that includes one out of three games with one minute of playing time. The other two games:

11 points, 6 rebounds 3-3, 5-7 in 12 minutes and...
4 points, 3 rebounds, 2-4 in 7 minutesGood point... 5 pts and 3 reb., but he was averaging only 6 minutes!

B2theRY
03-06-2009, 08:32 PM
so give him 18mins and he will have

15 and 9 :P

Macedonian
03-06-2009, 08:37 PM
so give him 18mins and he will have

15 and 9 :P
And how about 36 minutes?:)

MVP!!!:)

kanersen
03-06-2009, 08:58 PM
well its not even been half a game but i like what i see from him so far

Bob_at_york
03-06-2009, 08:59 PM
Pops has 4 rebounds in 5 minutes so far tonight.

nads83
03-06-2009, 09:22 PM
i think we mightve found a diamond in the rough

KingCanada
03-06-2009, 10:08 PM
Pops 10 rebounds now looking like a good pick up

koreancabbage
03-06-2009, 10:35 PM
looks can be deceiving.

Macedonian
03-06-2009, 10:38 PM
At least, he's much better option than Voskuhl!

ink
03-06-2009, 10:40 PM
Welcome to Toronto Pops!! :D

Bob_at_york
03-06-2009, 10:41 PM
At least, he's much better option than Voskuhl!

whose post d is better?

HoopsDrive
03-06-2009, 10:42 PM
10 rebounds for a pickup in limited minute... nice.

More shats!
03-06-2009, 10:50 PM
Reminds me of JYD!.He brings energy every play and that is something the team needed for a long time.

Pops!!!!!!!

Bob_at_york
03-06-2009, 10:52 PM
Reminds me of JYD!.He brings energy every play and that is something the team needed for a long time.

Pops!!!!!!!

Also I think he knows his role unlike Hump who sometimes thinks he is the first option on the court.

kidfury
03-06-2009, 10:56 PM
he played very well for his time on the court. i hope he can keep it up! he will never be a starter with bosh and barg on the team but if can bring that energy with the limited minutes he gets that'd be GREAT!

B2theRY
03-06-2009, 10:56 PM
you dont run plays for him he just attacks..
and he always smiles but yet he looks mean.

B2theRY
03-06-2009, 10:57 PM
And how about 36 minutes?:)

MVP!!!:)

imagine 48 mins? :speechless:

:D

More shats!
03-06-2009, 11:01 PM
Also I think he knows his role unlike Hump who sometimes thinks he is the first option on the court.

+1

Hump was actually very good when he play the energy/hustle but those nights when he accepted that role where very few.Most of the time he wanted to be MJ.Pops on the other hand looks like a down to earth guy that does what the team needs him to do.

nads83
03-06-2009, 11:24 PM
pops is fighting for a contract. hes hungry. you have to milk this guy and give him all the minutes you can. this loss against miami was a bad loss. we shouldve won. one man beat an entire team

DinasourNoah
03-06-2009, 11:27 PM
He does remind me a bit about Keon Clark, build wise, hopefully not Keon's other issues off court. I think Pops can be our Moon replacement in terms of energy off of the bench. I say we get rid of Voskhula in the off season as he is not worth much. Evaluate the player we picked up from Boston by sending him to big man school with our Aussie to see if they are worth keeping. We absolutely have to find a way to dump the salaries of Banks and Kapono at all costs. Even trading the money to pay them with picks to free up space if necessary to teams with cap space.

koreancabbage
03-06-2009, 11:29 PM
pops is fighting for a contract. hes hungry. you have to milk this guy and give him all the minutes you can. this loss against miami was a bad loss. we shouldve won. one man beat an entire team

well its dwayne wade, come on- he's a superstar for a reason. not beating the cow to death but our team has sucked from game 4 and on, on defense.

nads83
03-06-2009, 11:31 PM
well its dwayne wade, come on- he's a superstar for a reason. not beating the cow to death but our team has sucked from game 4 and on, on defense.

kind of puts an end to the "one man cant carry a team" theory. (bosh defenders)

koreancabbage
03-06-2009, 11:31 PM
and besides, i agree with you on Pops fighting for a contract. he'll be good off the bench. But basically, he just replaced Marion's rebounds in addition to an extra player used to get that rebound number. Marion saw someone hustle and prob thinks he didn't need to get in there.

koreancabbage
03-06-2009, 11:35 PM

well Wade has players doing what their supposed to be doing.
you don't see cook handling the ball trying runners in the lane. he's paid to shoot those 3's- like what Kapono should be doing. If Cook won the 3 point contest, shouldn't they defend him harder- prob are and have. but he takes what is given to him and makes those 3's- something Kapono should stick with.

if he's trying to multi-faceted in the NBA game, i blame Mitchell and Triano for letting this happen. you make a player believe he can be more than he should be- you know you've gone too much in trying to develop him.

Bob_at_york
03-06-2009, 11:42 PM
well Wade has players doing what their supposed to be doing.
you don't see cook handling the ball trying runners in the lane. he's paid to shoot those 3's- like what Kapono should be doing. If Cook won the 3 point contest, shouldn't they defend him harder- prob are and have. but he takes what is given to him and makes those 3's- something Kapono should stick with.

if he's trying to multi-faceted in the NBA game, i blame Mitchell and Triano for letting this happen. you make a player believe he can be more than he should be- you know you've gone too much in trying to develop him.

Cook is shooting under 40% from the field. I wouldn't exactly look at him as a success story or anything.

koreancabbage
03-06-2009, 11:48 PM
Cook is shooting under 40% from the field. I wouldn't exactly look at him as a success story or anything.

hey- he's on a winning team- shouldn't that be the first thing people be looking at. he's contributing on a winning team.

Kapono is contributing his disregard for his intelligence of this game by traveling, double-dribble, horrible passes, ,horrible defense, and his stupid runner.

kinda obvious that Kapono is indeed contributing to the losing.

Bob_at_york
03-06-2009, 11:55 PM
hey- he's on a winning team- shouldn't that be the first thing people be looking at. he's contributing on a winning team.

Kapono is contributing his disregard for his intelligence of this game by traveling, double-dribble, horrible passes, ,horrible defense, and his stupid runner.

kinda obvious that Kapono is indeed contributing to the losing.
Actually it isn't obvious. Kapono isn't a starter and is rarely more than the 3rd option on the court. He also is shooting an alright percentage. His defence sucks but so does a lot of Raptors. If Kapono and Cook were switched, I honestly believe that Kapono would have more open looks and he would be shooting a higher percentage than he is right now.

J_B
03-07-2009, 12:02 AM
great debut for pops

250 to 416
03-07-2009, 02:42 AM

look at the position of the guys who carry their teams 2s & 3s.big men play in clogged up lanes wade james & bryant rain 3s & and break you down off the bounce but they all have a big man to run picks off of. give bosh a good 2 guard then judge him

250 to 416
03-07-2009, 02:44 AM
pops good game,hope he keeps playing like that, my problem is how do you prounce his name

Big Game Son
03-07-2009, 03:28 AM
look at the position of the guys who carry their teams 2s & 3s.big men play in clogged up lanes wade james & bryant rain 3s & and break you down off the bounce but they all have a big man to run picks off of. give bosh a good 2 guard then judge him

Wonderful statement. Harder done than said though.

In terms of Pops.... he was positive tonight. If he is a positive thing late in the season that can only do wonders for our team morale going into the offseason.

Hump can be traded now... thank heavens. Also about the Kapono point he isn't that bad if hes down further in the rotation and only plays the 3 against backups. Certainly better than that useless Cook fellow on Miami.

blujaysrock
03-07-2009, 08:34 AM
Great debut, 4 pts 10 boards, very impressive, good pickup

raptor fan
03-07-2009, 10:09 AM
i liked the intensity that he brought to the table. it was something that was definately lacking by the rest of the team. the rest of the team looked defeated when attempting to grab rebounds, but pops showed a lot of heart. i hope this is not just one good game, and he can consistently play the way he did last night.

Mile High Champ
03-07-2009, 11:11 AM
Great game from pops, loved his defensive intensity, something we have reall lacked since garbo went down. I am really excited what he can do for the rest of the year for us.. Good pick up up BC!

b_rad23
03-07-2009, 11:22 AM
Also about the Kapono point he isn't that bad if hes down further in the rotation and only plays the 3 against backups. Certainly better than that useless Cook fellow on Miami.

Cook has been pretty bad lately but he's definitely not useless. He can play both sides of the floor and is explosive athletically. Right now he's just asked to shoot threes but eventually he should be a big time scorer in this league. I've seen both play for the Heat and Cook is the much better overall player.

Pops was amazing to watch. I can't believe he was a f/a. I'd take him over 3 or 4 players on the Heat. That should be a nice pickup. I also think he's perfect on the Raps because of the lack of intensity, rebounding and interior play.

ramz.n
03-07-2009, 11:40 AM
hes a rebound magnet..kind of like James Livingston for the Mavericks..great signing and i hope he gets a contract.

RaptorsFanatic
03-07-2009, 01:43 PM
You know what would be funny, if he went off the next game and dropped like 20 points and 10 boards..haha.

RapssRULzzz16
03-07-2009, 01:47 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLCo66av7KI

Crazy high flyer. He may BE the only reason i might watch the raptors game.
HE ALSO GRABBED 10 REBOUNDS IN LIKE IN LESS MINUTES THEN BOSH AND BARNIANI.
I hope BC signs him for like a 6 year contract!!! lol.

lovingTO
03-07-2009, 02:04 PM
ya..let's not get ahead of ourselves..

dtmagnet
03-07-2009, 02:57 PM
Man can he jump, and hey what is up with Moon starting over Beasley?

nads83
03-07-2009, 03:14 PM
Man can he jump, and hey what is up with Moon starting over Beasley?

moons a better rebounder/defender/can spread the floor with his 3pt shot (yes he can shoot the 3)/and a natural 3, beasley is a 4. beasley is a much better scorer overall but moons been playing great since coming to miami

b_rad23
03-07-2009, 03:15 PM
Beasley is a PF. Spo and Riley have said it over and over again. They are teaching him as a PF andaren't going to play him at SF. The real question is why isn't he starting over Haslem.

Is Pops a SF, PF or C?

nads83
03-07-2009, 03:18 PM
Beasley is a PF. Spo and Riley have said it over and over again. They are teaching him as a PF andaren't going to play him at SF. The real question is why isn't he starting over Haslem.

Is Pops a SF, PF or C?

pops is a 4. can play the 5 if need be.

IversonIsKrazy
03-07-2009, 04:37 PM
i saw the game yesterday, hes very athletic for a C. Got hops, brings energy, solid pick-up.

Kaze
03-07-2009, 05:22 PM
i dunno... something tells me he plays too similar and the same role as humps... does that make humps available? because i've heard that there are some minor interest in his services around the league...

Big Game Son
03-07-2009, 06:17 PM
Could be a great bench contributor tho. Honestly. I love to see him signed for next season....resign Rasho get Delfino back....ladies and gents we'd ahve ourselves a team.

WaterBoy24
03-07-2009, 06:21 PM
Good pick up... Bryan C....about time u did something good...

The bad...
If we can get rit of Joey and Kris Humpries...what a waste 7 million...few more million u can get Caron Butler...unbelievable...Kapano...6 million...banks...4.5 million...omg.....
Is not a suprise this team sucks...
And now I hear Delfino might be returning...another bad move...stop wasting cap money on crapppiiiiii players...:mad:

WSbluejays
03-07-2009, 06:56 PM
have we found our new jerome williams.

ramz.n
03-07-2009, 06:58 PM

was going to say..can provide some offense but its mostly hustle on the defensive end and getting those boards..i like his attitude.

ChongInc.
03-07-2009, 07:13 PM
quality signing
he dominated the d-league
averaged over 27 points a game, and 13 boards
very good athlete, good teammate
jamario moon type of player with a bit more strength and toughness, without the questionable 3's

nads83
03-07-2009, 07:18 PM
i dunno... something tells me he plays too similar and the same role as humps... does that make humps available? because i've heard that there are some minor interest in his services around the league...

pops is much more explosive and a much better rebounder and more mobile. they play the same style, but pops plays it better. way better. hump will be gone in the offseason. there is some interest (or was) you are correct. GSW was interested before. id love to swap him for josh boone or reggie evans if possible this offseason

ChongInc.
03-07-2009, 07:18 PM
Good pick up... Bryan C....about time u did something good...

The bad...
If we can get rit of Joey and Kris Humpries...what a waste 7 million...few more million u can get Caron Butler...unbelievable...Kapano...6 million...banks...4.5 million...omg.....
Is not a suprise this team sucks...
And now I hear Delfino might be returning...another bad move...stop wasting cap money on crapppiiiiii players...:mad:

delfino's a stud
i think if we had him this year, things may have gone differently
he has everything we lacked before we got marion

ChongInc.
03-07-2009, 07:35 PM
[/B]

pops is a 4. can play the 5 if need be.

athletic enough to play the 3 as well if need be

More shats!
03-07-2009, 10:46 PM

He reminds me of JYD 2:clap:

B2theRY
03-07-2009, 11:36 PM
i love it a day after he signs a 10day he has a game like he had last night and gets signed the rest of the season

Bob_at_york
03-08-2009, 10:56 AM
i love it a day after he signs a 10day he has a game like he had last night and gets signed the rest of the season

he was always signed for the rest of the season.

rosco
03-08-2009, 11:28 AM
pops is much more explosive and a much better rebounder and more mobile. they play the same style, but pops plays it better. way better. hump will be gone in the offseason. there is some interest (or was) you are correct. GSW was interested before. id love to swap him for josh boone or reggie evans if possible this offseason

Josh Boone or Reggie evans, please id rather keep HUMP.

Bob_at_york
03-08-2009, 11:35 AM
guys don't get too far ahead of yourselves. Don't forget there was a reason he was in the d-league.

rosco
03-08-2009, 11:44 AM
He brings some intangibles the raptors are lacking intensity/toughness/interior D/rebounding/Athletisism. When you honestly look down the raptors bench and look at JAKE and Patrick, its a no brainer that this Kid gets a chance. The Raptors don't even have to run any plays for the guy and long as he brings energy and makes hustle plays, he can pick up alot of second chance points on the offensive glass. The D-League has been moulding players, making them come into there Own. Everyone needs playing time in the End of it all. It's a big opportunity for him to shine.

ink
03-08-2009, 12:25 PM
Seems to me there were some "Jake is the answer" threads when he arrived too. I'm glad Pops did well, but I give it a few games until Pops is "pathetic" and needs to be driven out of Raptorland.

jimbobjarree
03-08-2009, 12:29 PM
Pops the the ****ing shitz, what you talking about

bidi_nash
03-08-2009, 01:19 PM
pops is pretty awesome

rosco
03-08-2009, 03:03 PM
Seems to me there were some "Jake is the answer" threads when he arrived too. I'm glad Pops did well, but I give it a few games until Pops is "pathetic" and needs to be driven out of Raptorland.

People on here thought Jake is the answer at one time, its no wonder why fans have no clue. Pops, its simple he's a Role player, nothing else. He's very athletic, if the Raps can implement him some how offensively, he can be really effective. If Not, then he's got to just come in and rebound,play D,bring energy, thats all they can ask from him right now. This team is desperate for a Coach with an outstanding resume. To many errors down the stretch.

dtmagnet
03-08-2009, 05:28 PM
Jake was good until he started taking those jumpshots. As long as Pops knows his role and plays within it he's ok in my books.

B2theRY
03-08-2009, 06:12 PM
he rebounds

nads83
03-08-2009, 07:52 PM
um NO ONE thought jake was the answer. I didnt even think he was servicable, and he isnt. pops on the otherhand is a rebounding machine and needs a contract. all he needs to do is dunk from time to time and rebound.

LD V2.0
03-10-2009, 09:05 AM
"Maybe some players haven't had to ride a bus in the [NBA Development League]," Triano said. "Maybe the per diem envelope isn't quite as thick down there.

"But I think it's the makeup of the person as well. He understands his role and knows what he is and we don't have a lot of guys like that and it makes him stick out a little bit."

"It's been a long three years," Mensah-Bonsu said. "Now I'm finally back in the NBA, and hopefully I found a home here in Toronto and I'm able to stick."

I think he deserves an non guaranteed Andre Barrett type contract.

Bizzy13
03-10-2009, 11:54 AM
i pray that pops is the second coming of JYD... that would be awesome :P

LD V2.0
03-10-2009, 12:11 PM
The team needs that for sure. They got it last season from Moon and it played a big factor in the lineup. This year no one took that role and the rotation suffered a little because of it.

rosco
03-10-2009, 12:48 PM
The bottom line the Bench, they need energy players, they need guys that can come in and change the game in different aspects of it. Pops is one of those players (Hustle) its a no brainer for the Raps to sign him like Moon. A (LLE) type contract. Another raptors aquisition they should make a move for this offseason is Leon Powe from the Boston Celtics. This team needs to get more aggressive in the paint. This whole shooting philosophy is not as its cracked up to be.

ink
03-10-2009, 12:59 PM
um NO ONE thought jake was the answer. I didnt even think he was servicable, and he isnt. pops on the otherhand is a rebounding machine and needs a contract. all he needs to do is dunk from time to time and rebound.

Not to stray off topic onto Jake, but ... there were several posts when he started, saying exactly that. "Finally someone who's physical", etc, etc. "Exactly what we need", ....

nads83
03-10-2009, 01:14 PM
^ lol thats insane.

Bricklayer
03-10-2009, 02:14 PM
For some reason these type of players don't seem to last in Toronto. I liked P.J Tucker and Pape Sow in the past for that "banger" type role, but they didn't stick with the team. Hopefully Pops can keep up the hustle, and even more so I hope it's contagious with some of the more lethargic Raptors.

kantarok
03-15-2009, 01:20 PM
We have to keep him. He is exactly what we need at that back-up position. He is the next but more athletic junk yard dog. He is a must-keep. He finishes inside with ease and grabs boards over multiple players. It even seems like he can rival dwight howard athletically. Perfect for a player like Bargnani what do u guys think?

GodsSon
03-15-2009, 01:46 PM
We have to keep him. He is exactly what we need at that back-up position. He is the next but more athletic junk yard dog. He is a must-keep. He finishes inside with ease and grabs boards over multiple players. It even seems like he can rival dwight howard athletically. Perfect for a player like Bargnani what do u guys think?

Most definitely, most successful teams need an energy guy like him...Cleveland has Varejao, Boston has Powe/Davis...the Raptors have especially needed a guy to get in there and hustle for loose balls and rebounds as we too often lose those 50/50 balls. The junk yard dog similarities are definately there, and unlike Hump, Pops doesnt go beyond his role; he knows he's a hustle guy, and doesnt try to take over on the offensive side of that ball...he's definitely a keeper for this team, and will help us moving forward.

tjroihenu
03-15-2009, 03:42 PM
Vince who?

Pops bringing back the highlights for Toronto.

It has been too long.. it's about time the excitement is back in Toronto.

SpeedyRecovery
03-15-2009, 03:57 PM
i know this is a far shot but do you think he could ever be a starter?

ink
03-15-2009, 03:58 PM

As first big off the bench he could be amazing. So many advantages to having a player like that.

magikmc
03-15-2009, 04:03 PM
so now comes how much money he's going to want... i have a feeling he's going to be a sought after FA... hopefully we can get him on like 4 year 3mill per deal... I can see Graham on his way out if that happens...

magikmc
03-15-2009, 04:04 PM
he played absolutely amazing today by the way...

jrice9
03-15-2009, 04:28 PM
I was there and he reminded me of Antonio Davis/JYD which was nice to see. Hopefully eh continues like this and we can lock him up

canzano55
03-15-2009, 05:02 PM
He has unreal athleticism. Moon could jump as well but the intensity and raw competitiveness isn't even comparable.

ink
03-15-2009, 05:05 PM
He has unreal athleticism. Moon could jump as well but the intensity and raw competitiveness isn't even comparable.

Good comparison. Where Jamario seemed only to want to do tricks, Pops wants to go in for the kill. Similar athleticism, completely different psyche.

BALLER R
03-15-2009, 05:28 PM
i like what he said after the game..he goes up hard so the refs will make a call or the defender will move out the way..he reminds me of jason maxiell only slimmer

Ragun
03-15-2009, 05:39 PM
pops=god.

blujaysrock
03-15-2009, 05:56 PM

I agree with everything you said and if I was BC I would be tryign my best to have him stay here.

Beach Rock
03-15-2009, 06:06 PM
It's early, but I agree we need keep this guy. He's a throw back to the days when our bigs were tough and athletic and the fans are showing they are starved for that type of guy. I love the fan attention his play is getting. He's leading by example for any Raptors that want fan respect here. They aren't just cheering because he's dunking. Its his work.

codes238
03-15-2009, 07:00 PM
this guy looked like a more talented junk yard dog today.... hopefully he keeps it up...

Euro_Fan
03-15-2009, 07:21 PM
You know what would be funny, if he went off the next game and dropped like 20 points and 10 boards..haha.

lol, i bet you never thought that he actually would do that... well, close enough.

21 points and 8 boards i belive,

dude looks like a bigger pape sow with the hunger of JYD. I love it!!!

Either BC is very very smart or he is very very lucky, seems he always manages to get a decent role player that has potential to be a much improved player, out of thin air.

First, moon and now pops.

dtmagnet
03-15-2009, 08:51 PM
Wow Pops, just wow. I really hope some other team doesn't snatch him away from us this offseason.

_Sn1P3r_
03-15-2009, 09:09 PM
And I also hope that if he signs a contract with us, it won't be a step down for him but a step up. ^

Bob_at_york
03-15-2009, 09:36 PM

NO. He is still a very raw player and his aggressiveness gets him in foul trouble. Going into today's game he is averaging 3.8 fouls in 17 minutes. At that pace, he wouldn't be able to get 30 mpg.

nads83
03-15-2009, 10:05 PM
this says it all...calderon on pops

"I think (Mensah-Bonsu) is the kind of guy we've missed from the beginning," said starting point guard Jose Calderon. "If he was with us from the beginning, maybe everything (is different). But he's doing everything we ask him, he's doing great.

"We love him."

http://www.thestar.com/Sports/article/602369

nads83
03-15-2009, 10:06 PM
if you love him so much, why dont you marry him jose?

ink
03-15-2009, 10:09 PM
if you love him so much, why dont you marry him jose?

:cricket:

_Sn1P3r_
03-15-2009, 10:10 PM
NO. He is still a very raw player and his aggressiveness gets him in foul trouble. Going into today's game he is averaging 3.8 fouls in 17 minutes. At that pace, he wouldn't be able to get 30 mpg.

Not to mention, he's one of those energy guys that you'd love to COME OFF THE BENCH.

nads83
03-15-2009, 10:13 PM
:cricket:

thats just mean

ink
03-15-2009, 10:30 PM
thats just mean

hey, I never get to use the cricket smiley. lol.

nads83
03-15-2009, 10:40 PM
lol

Big Game Son
03-15-2009, 10:47 PM
THis is early to say....but this guy could be a 6th man of the year candidate (in the future). Honestly......imagine this all season...holy crap and he can play the 3. Wonderful stuff!

Big Game Son
03-15-2009, 10:50 PM
Not to stray off topic onto Jake, but ... there were several posts when he started, saying exactly that. "Finally someone who's physical", etc, etc. "Exactly what we need", ....

I'll sum that up with one word....Desperation

But I do like Jake deep bench. Deep bench is important because these are the guys who bang in practice and keep the laughs, cheers and energy going. Hugely important

ink
03-15-2009, 10:54 PM
I'll sum that up with one word....Desperation

But I do like Jake deep bench. Deep bench is important because these are the guys who bang in practice and keep the laughs, cheers and energy going. Hugely important

You're right. We have been desperate. The great thing is that for even a couple of games this year we got to see motivated players. Everything has been such a grind this year. It's been like walking into some depression clinic for too long. lol. Pops gave us a shot in the arm ...

koreancabbage
03-15-2009, 11:45 PM
yea, by Bid Daddy's example, loren woods... i mean PAt-O'Bryant even scored and tried to get rebounds. he saw that Pops got a standing ovation from the crowd and actually tried harder, ran harder, played harder in the last 2 minutes of the game than all the games he's played in Toronto rofl

codes238
03-16-2009, 12:57 AM
the spurs management is pretty genius and if this guy was an actual stud they would not have cut him for drew gooden who has a severe groin injury and might not even play anymore this year... still it was a worthy gamble for us, this was the first raps game i enjoyed watching in a long time... nice to add an enthusiastic, fun-to-watch player to this otherwise mostly unlikeable depressing bunch of under-achievers!

Rapsjaysleafs
03-16-2009, 01:38 AM
First time writing here so.....
Why does BC not offer a contract right now when he seems VERY willing to stay here
"Once I left the league after my first year, I thought, `Once I get a chance to be in the NBA again, I'm going to stay.' I'm just grateful for what coach (Jay) Triano has been doing for me, putting me out on the floor and I've been able to produce. And like I say, I'm here to stay and hopefully I've found a home in Toronto."
Instead of waiting until other teams offer him more money why not sign him now!?

Spurred1
03-16-2009, 01:40 AM
the spurs management is pretty genius and if this guy was an actual stud they would not have cut him for drew gooden who has a severe groin injury and might not even play anymore this year... still it was a worthy gamble for us, this was the first raps game i enjoyed watching in a long time... nice to add an enthusiastic, fun-to-watch player to this otherwise mostly unlikeable depressing bunch of under-achievers!

Gooden's already started playing for the Spurs. Limited minutes, but he's out there.

rapsfan101010
03-16-2009, 01:43 AM
He's not an American either so we'll be able to keep him.

jrob23
03-16-2009, 01:50 AM
pops has been playin beastly for us so far.

like 8 boards in 18 minutes or some ****? exactly what we need

his O will get better the more he plays obviously, looked great tonight getting to the line 13 times if im not mistaken

sign this man to an extension ASAP !

Dragan
03-16-2009, 02:18 AM
i doubt we will be able to keep him. It all depends on how much he gets offered from other teams. If he continues to play like this, we might not be able to afford him if we are goign to try to get bigger names in here next season.

Rapsjaysleafs
03-16-2009, 02:40 AM
i doubt we will be able to keep him. It all depends on how much he gets offered from other teams. If he continues to play like this, we might not be able to afford him if we are goign to try to get bigger names in here next season.

Thats why we sign him NOW!
He said he wants to play here and hopefully he has found a home here, so take that a sign him today!

Why not?

Bob_at_york
03-16-2009, 08:28 AM
First time writing here so.....
Why does BC not offer a contract right now when he seems VERY willing to stay here
"Once I left the league after my first year, I thought, `Once I get a chance to be in the NBA again, I'm going to stay.' I'm just grateful for what coach (Jay) Triano has been doing for me, putting me out on the floor and I've been able to produce. And like I say, I'm here to stay and hopefully I've found a home in Toronto."
Instead of waiting until other teams offer him more money why not sign him now!?

I don't think we are allowed to sign him to an extension right now.

I like your avatar, I was looking at that picture last night and thinking about using it for a sig.

Canadian hemi
03-16-2009, 09:31 AM
settle down! he had 1 really good game.

rapsfan101010
03-16-2009, 09:37 AM
No actually he's had like 3 if you consider what hes done in the little time he's played

jrice9
03-16-2009, 10:08 AM
He's a more athletic version of varajeo imo

SlaterRaps
03-16-2009, 10:20 AM
I liked what Bosh said about him about how he wants to take a piece of the rim down everytime he gets the ball

JermanJaysFan
03-16-2009, 10:44 AM
Doug Smith thinks the right thing to do about Pops is shut him down soon, for the following reasons:

Action: Pops

Reaction: The legend grows

I’m talking to a guy who has some power in the organization – before the game, mind you – and we agree the best thing the Raptors can do right now is shut Pops Mensa-Bonsu down.

Really, three more losses and he develops a backache, or a headache, or “flu-like symptoms.”

Of course, that’s after he gets a wink and a nod on a two-year deal starting next year.

All the guy’s doing know is costing Toronto money and driving up his value on the open market.

You think other teams aren’t noticing 8 1/2 rebounds a game? You think scouts aren’t talking among themselves? You think there’s going to be some competition for his services on the market?
http://thestar.blogs.com/raptors/

reevanson
03-16-2009, 10:54 AM
I am admittedly not a a contract expert by any means but if we shut Pops down right now as Doug Smith wants to do wont he be pissed off.....it was my understanding that one of the reasons he signed with TO was for playing time and if they take that away I cant see him being overly impressed and happy with the Raptors organization and want to sign and extended contract with them so why would they shut him down????

Bob_at_york
03-16-2009, 10:55 AM
if they sat him down... that would be really interesting. I would prefer that he kept playing and see how he does over a long run of games before we start giving him a long-term deal.

reevanson
03-16-2009, 10:58 AM
if they sat him down... that would be really interesting. I would prefer that he kept playing and see how he does over a long run of games before we start giving him a long-term deal.

Agreed...I remeber a few years back with Barrett, he had a few good games and so many Raps fans thought he was the savior of the franchise...... untill he bombed the next few

jrice9
03-16-2009, 11:00 AM
He has too much character to just flat out sit down and he's playing for a contract. He'll only sit down when he has an extension signed

Bob_at_york
03-16-2009, 11:03 AM
I am admittedly not a a contract expert by any means but if we shut Pops down right now as Doug Smith wants to do wont he be pissed off.....it was my understanding that one of the reasons he signed with TO was for playing time and if they take that away I cant see him being overly impressed and happy with the Raptors organization and want to sign and extended contract with them so why would they shut him down????

if they guarntee him a 2 year contract then he could be cool with it

Bob_at_york
03-16-2009, 11:06 AM
He has too much character to just flat out sit down and he's playing for a contract. He'll only sit down when he has an extension signed
the raptors are not allowed to officially sign him to an extension at this moment. Doug is suggesting that they sign one under the table with the guy.

nads83
03-16-2009, 12:07 PM
im getting a bit nervous over here. im so excited for pops. he is exactly what we need but might not have come next season. i think he alone ended grahams future as a raptor

ink
03-16-2009, 12:10 PM
^ I thought about that when they interviewed Graham's parents in the stands yesterday.

ink
03-16-2009, 12:10 PM
I still want to see Pops do this for an extended period.

_Sn1P3r_
03-16-2009, 12:12 PM
Same. ^ It was a great game, but if he can give us maybe 8 points, 8 rebounds, I'm happy.

ink
03-16-2009, 12:15 PM
Same. ^ It was a great game, but if he can give us maybe 8 points, 8 rebounds, I'm happy.

Exactly. Imagine if he came in off the bench like he did yesterday and gave us a shot in the arm to get the team going. It's all we ever wanted out of Hump but he just couldn't execute that role.

ink
03-16-2009, 12:31 PM
Had a few minutes to chat with Pops Mensah-Bonsu Friday night, who is getting more expensive by the game, his agent must be figuring.

He worked out with the Raptors before he signed his 10-day contract with the San Antonio Spurs, but figured the Spurs were the team to sign with because he was familiar with their system as it was the same one used by the Austin Toros the Spurs' D-League affiliate. He figured a good showing on an elite team would have helped his cause this off-season. When they brought in Drew Gooden he came to Toronto, still determined to make his mark, and it's working.

The props for Pops momentum is justifiably building. It's only been a four games, but I've yet to witness the gaping hole in his game that suggests he's a flash in the pan. He's very bright and mature off the floor and will likely fit well in the locker room, I would think. He fills a definite role in terms of the rebounding, shot-blocking,floor-runnng big every team needs. His faux pas after coming down with the rebound off Bosh's free throw is not that surprising given that he said last night that he's never been on the floor in the critical minutes of an NBA game. Calling for timeout was the play to make, but I'm sure he'll know next time. It's more significant that he was able to get that ball. He brings to mind Jerome Williams but without the gimmicks.

I asked him what he would look for in a contract in the off-season -- money, security or playing time, and he didn't hesitate:

"Opportunity," he said. "If I get the opportunity then everything else will fall into place, that's why I came here. I had some other teams -- I'd rather not say who -- that were willing to offer more security, but the opportunity of being able to play here ...I played 28 minutes tonight. I've been in the NBA two or three times and this is the first time I have ever had a chance to be in the critical part of a game. You can't ask for more. I've played double-figure minutes in ever game so far, and I'm a newcomer. Hopefully I'll keep it up and we'll be able to win, and with that in mind everything else will fall in to place."

Pops also told a good story about getting to know Red Auerbach, the legendary Celtics coach and general manager, during his time at George Washington University, where Auerbach was a regular practice visitor:

"He told me basketball stuff. Toldl me things I could do to get better. He said the type of athlete I was he'd never seen at my size. It was a big compliment to me and I've taken it with me and I've always had that in the back of my mind that Red Auerbach thought that of me."

Globe and Mail (http://www.theglobeandmail.com/blogs/wbbasketball/)

jrice9
03-16-2009, 01:10 PM
If red thinks he's good its good enough for me

RatedRSuprStar
03-16-2009, 02:42 PM

I'd be pissed, too. Trying to hide my talents to prevent me from getting as much as I deserve is the BEST way to drive me back to the U.S.

He said in his post-game interview he loves it here and WANTS to stay a Raptor. Now why would you want to kill that sentiment by shutting him down? Stupid...

If they really want him, Raps need to pay him... PERIOD.

Glad Smith or his "source" isn't the GM...

blujaysrock
03-16-2009, 02:43 PM
IF he wants to be a raptor lets bring him back, his energy off the bench is making him a fan favorite and he has only been here what? 5 games or so.

aman_13
03-16-2009, 02:55 PM
One of the things i like about him is his shot selection. He will not take a shot unless he is forced to, which tells me he knows his role. He reminds me of Paul Milsap except without the jumper, an energy guy who loves to attack the boards and loves to take the rim down.

B2theRY
03-16-2009, 03:59 PM
how was this guy not signed before?
he is a pure energy guy perfect bench guy.. can he shot, naah but he does everything JYD did..

he will be a huge fan favorite.
he just needs a nickname.

Bob_at_york
03-16-2009, 04:01 PM
wait for it, there will be a reason. We might be able to deal with it or accept it but there will be a reason.

greg_ory_2005
03-16-2009, 04:54 PM
he is a pure energy guy perfect bench guy.. can he shot, naah but he does everything JYD did..

he will be a huge fan favorite.
he just needs a nickname.

His name is already Pops Mensah-Bonsu. That alone is much better than any nickname!

muninade
03-16-2009, 05:15 PM
His name is already Pops Mensah-Bonsu. That alone is much better than any nickname!

i was thinking something like POPS

Kaptain Kanada
03-16-2009, 05:37 PM
Hmmmm... we have a D-Leager playing over his head for a couple games while he's looking for a contract? I wonder what might happen when he's signed longer term? There's no way his energy and enthusiasm will taper off is there??

carruthers32
03-16-2009, 05:56 PM
Hmmmm... we have a D-Leager playing over his head for a couple games while he's looking for a contract? I wonder what might happen when he's signed longer term? There's no way his energy and enthusiasm will taper off is there??

He's always been known as an energy guy, your only noticing it now because hes on the Raptors.

jimbobjarree
03-16-2009, 06:33 PM
I'm loving all this love for Pops, he's been a hero of mine for a while, I'm glad he seems to have found a home!

B2theRY
03-16-2009, 07:07 PM
JYD's Energy stayed.. Bonner came with some hussle and flow.

those are the players the raps need they have a bunch of lazy *** players..

koreancabbage
03-16-2009, 08:08 PM
his name is Bid Daddy i think- that's what the commentators call him

_Sn1P3r_
03-16-2009, 08:24 PM
wait for it, there will be a reason. We might be able to deal with it or accept it but there will be a reason.

Just like with Jamario Moon.

B2theRY
03-16-2009, 08:38 PM
Just like with Jamario Moon.

moon WAS lazy.. this guy is younger than moon i believe
and seems to have more of a hunger.

Mane
03-16-2009, 09:16 PM
I can't believe you guys are in love with this guy.

He is my ****ing boy, a few weeks ago in the NBA forum i made a joke about him being the best, and now hes actually playing well.

He was a absolute beast in college, and i honestly thought he was top 15 pick talent. I can't believe hes doing well, i just because somewhat of a Raptors fan.. this is awesome.

Bob_at_york
03-16-2009, 10:53 PM
moon WAS lazy.. this guy is younger than moon i believe
and seems to have more of a hunger.

He is younger and he does seem to be more hungry but he still has holes in his game. You might not have noticed them yet but eventually we will see them.

ink
03-16-2009, 10:54 PM
He is younger and he does seem to be more hungry but he still has holes in his game. You might not have noticed them yet but eventually we will see them.

Diaw noticed them tonight when he blew by him over and over again tonight.

codes238
03-17-2009, 12:16 AM
i understand its been a horrible depressing season but i think some people are seriously overrating pops and are in for a bit of a disappointment...

nads83
03-17-2009, 12:26 AM
no one really believes pops is a star in the league or that he doesnt have holes in his game but the potential is undeniable. these last few weeks are crucial in terms of developement for guys like ukic and pops. pops has the quicks at the 4 position, a nose for the ball and most importantly, heart/toughness. all he needs now is minutes and experience

Young2Kinsler
03-17-2009, 04:01 AM

He was with Dallas for years, and never developed, stayed hurt, and sucked sucked sucked. He pisses me off he leaves and just starts playing well after we paid him money. ****in loser.

DrJamesNaismith
03-17-2009, 09:01 AM
i understand its been a horrible depressing season but i think some people are seriously overrating pops and are in for a bit of a disappointment...

I don't think he's really being over-rated. I think that most fans are just excited that there's a guy in a Raptors uniform that has gone out there and added energy through effort. Maybe a few people believe he is the next coming of Michael Jordan, but I have seen more people with expectations of this guy being the next JYD or Keon Clark (bad reference I know, but the guy was good in a Raps uni). I hope he keeps it up. The love he's been getting is one of the things that make TO fans some of the best in the world! After the game against Indy, the fans gave him a standing ovation when he was interviewed. People rag on Raps fans for being so tough on guys, but not many teams fans show love like Toronto fans when a guy is putting a consistant effort into their play. If only Vince Bosh woulda put the same effort in as Pops, maybe people would still be chanting MVP. It wasn't that long ago that they did.

koreancabbage
03-17-2009, 09:25 AM
^ exactly

this guy Pops got a standing ovation AFTER THE GAME for crying out loud after his 21-8 game against the Pacers. when was the last time the Raps, as a team, got a standing ovation this season?

_Sn1P3r_
03-17-2009, 10:14 AM
I don't think he's really being over-rated. I think that most fans are just excited that there's a guy in a Raptors uniform that has gone out there and added energy through effort. Maybe a few people believe he is the next coming of Michael Jordan, but I have seen more people with expectations of this guy being the next JYD or Keon Clark (bad reference I know, but the guy was good in a Raps uni). I hope he keeps it up. The love he's been getting is one of the things that make TO fans some of the best in the world! After the game against Indy, the fans gave him a standing ovation when he was interviewed. People rag on Raps fans for being so tough on guys, but not many teams fans show love like Toronto fans when a guy is putting a consistant effort into their play. If only Vince Bosh woulda put the same effort in as Pops, maybe people would still be chanting MVP. It wasn't that long ago that they did.

Well said. :clap:

Bob_at_york
03-17-2009, 10:32 AM
Follow-up on yesterday's comments from Doug:

Hey, folks, the whole Shutting Down Pops thing yesterday? Facetious. A joke. A snarky remark aimed at those who would take good, healthy players and hold them out of games for no real reason.

I think my thoughts on stuff like that are pretty clear.

So, chill.

I thought it was weird of Doug to suggest tampering like that and everything.

Link: http://thestar.blogs.com/raptors/

ink
03-17-2009, 10:42 AM

It's not the toughness on guys, it's the fickleness. It's the "we love you" one day, followed by "we hate you" the next. Takes away the credibility ...

BBadger1989
03-17-2009, 11:34 AM
I can honestly see Pops becoming a fan fav in Toronto. He is just one of those guys you want to cheer for. Maybe its the name.

DrJamesNaismith
03-18-2009, 10:37 AM
It's not the toughness on guys, it's the fickleness. It's the "we love you" one day, followed by "we hate you" the next. Takes away the credibility ...

Whatever, if you insist on calling fans that show up more than almost any team in the NBA fickle, I suppose you're entitled to your opinion. We'll have to agree to disagree. I mean, how much easier could it be for a franchise, put a team on the floor and we'll show up. Play hard we'll cheer. Mope and go through the motions and you get called on it. It's just being held accountable. Anyways, this isn't the place for this debate. Pops IS playing hard, we WILL continue to cheer hard for him. That's how it goes.

ink
03-18-2009, 11:40 AM
Whatever, if you insist on calling fans that show up more than almost any team in the NBA fickle, I suppose you're entitled to your opinion. We'll have to agree to disagree. I mean, how much easier could it be for a franchise, put a team on the floor and we'll show up. Play hard we'll cheer. Mope and go through the motions and you get called on it. It's just being held accountable. Anyways, this isn't the place for this debate. Pops IS playing hard, we WILL continue to cheer hard for him. That's how it goes.

Fickleness has nothing to do with showing up to the game. Buying tickets can just be done for entertainment's sake. How a fan cheers on their team (or how fast they stop cheering) is the measure of fickleness. To the fickle fans: don't flatter yourself as the judges of hard play. A true fan doesn't make their support conditional.

Back to Pops. If he stops producing at the level he is right now, it won't be that surprising. Like Bob has been saying, the holes in his game will show up. Other teams will force him off his strengths. The fickle fan will misunderstand this and start booing or complaining. The real fan will cheer him on to fix the holes in his game. If he fails, he fails, but by supporting him, you're part of the solution, not part of the problem. What they don't need is the mindless theories of fans that don't understand or give any thought to what is wrong with the player. These guys are harder on themselves than any of us could be on them.

DrJamesNaismith
03-18-2009, 11:59 AM
Fickleness has nothing to do with showing up to the game. Buying tickets can just be entertainment. How a fan supports their team (or how fast they stop cheering for the players) is a measure of fickleness. To the fickle fans: don't flatter yourself as the judges of hard play. A true fan doesn't make their support conditional.

Yep you're right. The word fickle in the context of this discussion can have the meaning you've given it. I agree, that is an example of being fickle. To me, fickle fans show up when a team is winning, and stop when the lose (ie. Blue jays, Celtics, etc.). Don't tell me being fickle doesn't have anything to do w/ attendance, I'm quite aware of what the word means. A fan is whatever the hell they want to be, and a TRUE fan holds no distinction or more importance over any other type of fan. No awards given out to TRUE fans who watched Vince drag his ***** around the court for the final months of his service and continued to cheer him because he was wearing a Raps uni. To me that's stupid.

ink
03-18-2009, 12:13 PM
Yep you're right. The word fickle in the context of this discussion can have the meaning you've given it. I agree, that is an example of being fickle. To me, fickle fans show up when a team is winning, and stop when the lose (ie. Blue jays, Celtics, etc.). Don't tell me being fickle doesn't have anything to do w/ attendance, I'm quite aware of what the word means. A fan is whatever the hell they want to be, and a TRUE fan holds no distinction or more importance over any other type of fan. No awards given out to TRUE fans who watched Vince drag his ***** around the court for the final months of his service and continued to cheer him because he was wearing a Raps uni. To me that's stupid.

Raps fans really have to get over that breakup. ;) If you want to use the word "stupid", not being able to get over VC and carrying on a similar distrust with every other Raptor player is "stupid" and very self-defeating. Believe me, other fans notice the hangup. Vince is gone. These are new players with new issues. We need to move on and stop being paranoid that we're going to be "left" again. Enough with the Vince hangups about "hard work" for once and for all!! lol.

La11
03-18-2009, 12:28 PM
Fickleness has nothing to do with showing up to the game. Buying tickets can just be done for entertainment's sake. How a fan cheers on their team (or how fast they stop cheering) is the measure of fickleness. To the fickle fans: don't flatter yourself as the judges of hard play. A true fan doesn't make their support conditional.

Back to Pops. If he stops producing at the level he is right now, it won't be that surprising. Like Bob has been saying, the holes in his game will show up. Other teams will force him off his strengths. The fickle fan will misunderstand this and start booing or complaining. The real fan will cheer him on to fix the holes in his game. If he fails, he fails, but by supporting him, you're part of the solution, not part of the problem. What they don't need is the mindless theories of fans that don't understand or give any thought to what is wrong with the player. These guys are harder on themselves than any of us could be on them.

We'll said...A lot of people just dont get it these days. If your playing good They[B] all with ya if your playing bad [B]They hate you and want to get rid of you.

nads83
03-18-2009, 04:24 PM
this is the reality of sports. when you play hard, you get standing O's. when you dont, you get booed. thats how its suppose to be

Big Game Son
03-18-2009, 05:09 PM
Remember...when Gladiators were in the ring they HAD to perform...if they didnt they would either get booed, stuff thrown at em, or even executed. Sports come out of that mentality and this is the honest truth....the Raptors had a lackluster gladiator season which = boos. I booed at bad court decisions. Why? because when they were bad enough that you at home could have said "I would have made a better choice than that." you know somethin is real bad when that is happening. I had a few of those moments this season. I aint no coach NBA player or professional ball player, but even hockey fans who knew nothing about b-ball were slammin the Raps effort. It was embarassing, but there were bright spots and we only can go up:).

ink
03-18-2009, 09:30 PM
Remember...when Gladiators were in the ring they HAD to perform...if they didnt they would either get booed, stuff thrown at em, or even executed. Sports come out of that mentality

Yeah, drunken Romans drooling over the chance to watch someone ripped limb from limb. You sure aim high. :laugh2: j/k

Good example of discerning fans. ;)

jaysfan4ever
03-18-2009, 11:47 PM

If he could duplicate what Keon Clark did here, that would be awesome, because he really complements our other 2 bigs, giving us a solid rotation of 3 young bigs.

And Keon Clark was one of my favourite Raps when he played here. The man was pure energy! He got 12 blocks in a game once with the Raptors, and I think he was one of the league leaders in blocks that year.

DrJamesNaismith
03-19-2009, 09:37 AM
Raps fans really have to get over that breakup. ;) If you want to use the word "stupid", not being able to get over VC and carrying on a similar distrust with every other Raptor player is "stupid" and very self-defeating. Believe me, other fans notice the hangup. Vince is gone. These are new players with new issues. We need to move on and stop being paranoid that we're going to be "left" again. Enough with the Vince hangups about "hard work" for once and for all!! lol.

Vince was an example, I'm really not broken up about it. The US market tries to make our Canadian franchise and fan base look pathetic on many levels, so telling people to get over the Vince thing so as to project a more desirable image of our fan base is self defeating. We will never measure up to them. What matters is that irregardless of what the US popular opinion is, we are one of the most financially viable franchises in the NBA.
I'm just saying, if fans don't voice displeasure over a poor product, what is the incentive for change in managements eyes? All the bleeding hearts that want people to put blind faith in a team that in 15 years hasn't done anything of major signifigance in the playoffs, completely confuse me.
If we want a love in everynight, even when we lose by 20 and get a crap effort from our group of millionaires why don't we lobby to start 4 players instead of 5 and see if the teletubbies would be available to play. That'd be fun.

ink
03-19-2009, 01:51 PM
Vince was an example, I'm really not broken up about it. The US market tries to make our Canadian franchise and fan base look pathetic on many levels, so telling people to get over the Vince thing so as to project a more desirable image of our fan base is self defeating. We will never measure up to them. What matters is that irregardless of what the US popular opinion is, we are one of the most financially viable franchises in the NBA.
I'm just saying, if fans don't voice displeasure over a poor product, what is the incentive for change in managements eyes? All the bleeding hearts that want people to put blind faith in a team that in 15 years hasn't done anything of major signifigance in the playoffs, completely confuse me.
If we want a love in everynight, even when we lose by 20 and get a crap effort from our group of millionaires why don't we lobby to start 4 players instead of 5 and see if the teletubbies would be available to play. That'd be fun.

A lot of assumptions in there. "Bleeding hearts"?? "Love in"?? :laugh2: The biggest assumption is that fans can't voice displeasure and be intelligent at the same time. No one said that criticism and voicing displeasure was wrong. From the start I've been talking about the fickleness that has fans saying "I love you" one day and "I hate you" the next. It completely takes away our credibility and the problem is rampant among Raptors fans. I could quote lots of examples but I'm sure you know what I mean.

As for incentive, absolutely fans can give the franchise incentive. Again there's that paranoia though. The assumption you're making is that the franchise is run by professionals who take no pride in their work. You must also assume Colangelo is blind as well as incompetent if you believe that he's satisfied with this losing team. Have you noticed how happy and unconcerned he is when the cameras show him on the sidelines during the game?? /irony

Back to Pops again, he's a role player that the crowd loves because of his hustle and energy. How about assuming that Colangelo knows the problem exists with his team, otherwise he wouldn't have just acquired Marion and Pops to work with this lineup?? Both are energy guys. Notice the pattern? Do you think he needed to be told?? What do you think his incentive was other than to build a good Raptors team??

Kianwe
03-19-2009, 04:13 PM
A lot of assumptions in there. "Bleeding hearts"?? "Love in"?? :laugh2: The biggest assumption is that fans can't voice displeasure and be intelligent at the same time. No one said that criticism and voicing displeasure was wrong. From the start I've been talking about the fickleness that has fans saying "I love you" one day and "I hate you" the next. It completely takes away our credibility and the problem is rampant among Raptors fans. I could quote lots of examples but I'm sure you know what I mean.

As for incentive, absolutely fans can give the franchise incentive. Again there's that paranoia though. The assumption you're making is that the franchise is run by professionals who take no pride in their work. You must also assume Colangelo is blind as well as incompetent if you believe that he's satisfied with this losing team. Have you noticed how happy and unconcerned he is when the cameras show him on the sidelines during the game?? /irony

Back to Pops again, he's a role player that the crowd loves because of his hustle and energy. How about assuming that Colangelo knows the problem exists with his team, otherwise he wouldn't have just acquired Marion and Pops to work with this lineup?? Both are energy guys. Notice the pattern? Do you think he needed to be told?? What do you think his incentive was other than to build a good Raptors team??

+1 Nicely put Ink

raptor fan
03-21-2009, 09:02 AM
yesterday was probably pops first "off" game. i'd like to see how he bounces back after his performance

Bob_at_york
03-22-2009, 01:02 PM
yesterday was probably pops first "off" game. i'd like to see how he bounces back after his performance

that was his first off game? What about the one before it?

More shats!
03-22-2009, 06:46 PM
Big Daddy or British Bulldog?

Matt Devlin calls him "Big Daddy" and Eric Smith "British Bulldog".

Which one is better?

kanersen
03-22-2009, 09:39 PM
I'd like to call him Big Poppy but i think David Ortiz wouldn't be happy with that nickname infringement