PDA

View Full Version : KG-Marbury article from 1997

oldenpolynice
03-04-2009, 10:05 PM
Found this fascinating. 8 page article on how Marbury and KG used to be the best of friends in high school and in their first years as pros in Minnesota. Lots of funny details in there. Especially the part about KG's "bling" in the late 90's (a jacuzzi, some cars, and three dogs). Lol.

You can find the whole article here:

http://vault.sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1009377/7/index.htm

Or you can read my summary here:

http://davissportsdeli.com/wordpress/2009/03/04/kg-marbury-article-from-97/

JordansBulls
03-04-2009, 10:54 PM
Found this fascinating. 8 page article on how Marbury and KG used to be the best of friends in high school and in their first years as pros in Minnesota. Lots of funny details in there. Especially the part about KG's "bling" in the late 90's (a jacuzzi, some cars, and three dogs). Lol.

You can find the whole article here:

http://vault.sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1009377/7/index.htm

Or you can read my summary here:

http://davissportsdeli.com/wordpress/2009/03/04/kg-marbury-article-from-97/

I actually thought they would have been awesome together had they stayed together.

superkegger
03-04-2009, 10:55 PM
Very interesting read considering what actually transpired.

Two quotes I found funny considering hindsight.

"I don't play basketball for the money," Garnett says

McHale ranked Marbury No. 1 in the 1996 draft, ahead of Allen Iverson (taken first overall, by the Philadelphia 76ers), and if it was a minority opinion, it certainly wasn't outlandish

KmB728
03-04-2009, 11:16 PM
http://img5.imageshack.us/img5/7435/kg0222.jpg (http://img5.imageshack.us/my.php?image=kg0222.jpg)

albertc86
03-04-2009, 11:17 PM
No one remembers when Marbury went on record saying Amar'e would have a better career than KG?

$KnicksAndKobe$
03-04-2009, 11:41 PM
No one remembers when Marbury went on record saying Amar'e would have a better career than KG?

That was his opinion. Amare can still have a better career if he continues with his numbers.

oldenpolynice
03-04-2009, 11:48 PM
http://img5.imageshack.us/img5/7435/kg0222.jpg (http://img5.imageshack.us/my.php?image=kg0222.jpg)

Best picture of Marbury and KG I could ever imagine. I'm so glad this picture exists. It's perfect in every way.

KmB728
03-04-2009, 11:59 PM
^^^ hahaha its hilarious

JordansBulls
03-05-2009, 12:15 AM

I remember when people were saying Antoine Walker deserved the contract that Garnett got.

thesparky33
03-05-2009, 02:40 AM
Very interesting read considering what actually transpired.

Two quotes I found funny considering hindsight.

Just because Garnett got paid, and hired a good agent (Garnett admitted in an interview that he never declined the Wolves initial extension offer in 1997, it was actually his agent while KG was on vacation, and KG learned of his record-breaking $128M deal while watching it be on the news on TV), doesnt mean that he only played basketball for the money.

By saying that he doesnt play bball for the money is saying that even if he wasnt a professional athlete, Garnett is the kind of guy who'd be playing in every rec league, every ymca league, etc. because he just loves the game. Just watching the way he approaches the game, and the way he plays and pours his heart out every possession tells you that he isnt just playing for a paycheck, although when it comes down to it, it is his occupation.

superkegger
03-05-2009, 02:49 AM
Just because Garnett got paid, and hired a good agent (Garnett admitted in an interview that he never declined the Wolves initial extension offer in 1997, it was actually his agent while KG was on vacation, and KG learned of his record-breaking $128M deal while watching it be on the news on TV), doesnt mean that he only played basketball for the money.

By saying that he doesnt play bball for the money is saying that even if he wasnt a professional athlete, Garnett is the kind of guy who'd be playing in every rec league, every ymca league, etc. because he just loves the game. Just watching the way he approaches the game, and the way he plays and pours his heart out every possession tells you that he isnt just playing for a paycheck, although when it comes down to it, it is his occupation.

I understand that. I just find it funny that he said what he didn, and then later inked the largest contract in NBA history. Intentions aside, the irony kills me.

thesparky33
03-05-2009, 03:03 AM
I understand that. I just find it funny that he said what he didn, and then later inked the largest contract in NBA history. Intentions aside, the irony kills me.

I hear ya yeah.

I actually never knew that Marbury and Garnett were friends, let alone really close friends, before Marbury got drafted. Interesting.

ESaady
03-05-2009, 03:17 AM
Oh the NBA of the 90's:sigh:

boeknows
03-05-2009, 04:24 AM
Would have been even better if Marbury could have handled being second fiddle. He wanted to be the number one guy in Minnesota and once he couldnt he forced himself out. What a punk ***.

Lionpride87
03-05-2009, 04:39 AM
Would have been even better if Marbury could have handled being second fiddle. He wanted to be the number one guy in Minnesota and once he couldnt he forced himself out. What a punk ***.

What goes around comes around. Now he's back with kg and coming off the bench

oldenpolynice
03-05-2009, 04:46 AM

Glad to see that Wolves fans still have love for KG.

oldenpolynice
03-05-2009, 02:10 PM
If any of you missed this article yesterday, I definitely recommend reading it. Especially if you're a Celtics fan...or a T-Wolves fan who loves ripping Band-Aid's off open wounds.

thesparky33
03-05-2009, 03:06 PM
Glad to see that Wolves fans still have love for KG.

I can't speak for all Wolves fans, but I know that most all have respect for KG.

Some differing opinions on who's "fault" it is on why we never won a championship with KG (McHale's, or KG's contract), but regardless, I think everyone agrees that Garnett played 100% and tried his hardest even in blowout games... you can't ask for more than that.

I'm a huge homer, obviously, but given that the 2 games that Boston's been at Target Center, Garnett has gotten standing ovations both times as he was introduced just shows how much Minnesota still loves this guy.

oldenpolynice
03-05-2009, 05:35 PM
I can't speak for all Wolves fans, but I know that most all have respect for KG.

Some differing opinions on who's "fault" it is on why we never won a championship with KG (McHale's, or KG's contract), but regardless, I think everyone agrees that Garnett played 100% and tried his hardest even in blowout games... you can't ask for more than that.

I'm a huge homer, obviously, but given that the 2 games that Boston's been at Target Center, Garnett has gotten standing ovations both times as he was introduced just shows how much Minnesota still loves this guy.

Definitely McHale's fault. Made so many lousy decisions in the draft and had that egregious violation where he signed Joe Smith before the free agency period, which cost them a draft pick (I think).

Now that he's on the bench, it's obvious he has been a coach all along and had no business being in the front office.

superkegger
03-05-2009, 07:55 PM

It's my general experience that most Wolves fans, or perhaps Minnesotans in general is more accurate description, still widely support KG. I was at The Library (a pretty popular bar, not an actual library) that night the Celtics had that amazing comeback vs. the Lakers in the finals, and the bar was going nuts during that 4th quarter, absolutely nuts.

The previous hour and half, no one paid the game much attention, but as soon as the Cetlics mounted their comeback, everyone suddenly cared. ******s.

rabzouz 96
03-05-2009, 08:09 PM
man had they just stayed together. coulda been so great, but oh well...

dandman1021
03-05-2009, 08:11 PM
marbury and KG duo 2.0..dat sik....u boston ppl get all da luck lol

oldenpolynice
03-05-2009, 08:15 PM
man had they just stayed together. coulda been so great, but oh well...

Yeah, they could have been really good. Two playoff appearances in Marbury's first two seasons. Who cares that they lost both of those series? Getting there two seasons in a row with such young stars is a big accomplishment.

Mr.Grizzly
03-05-2009, 08:28 PM
They both suck

blacknell
03-05-2009, 08:49 PM
they would have done big things in minn if they would have stayed together