PDA

View Full Version : Matt Leinart

sf_fosho
03-04-2009, 06:33 PM
now that warner is resigned what will happen with leinart? will he be content with being the back up for another 2 years? also, what kind of contract does he have? i assume he's making decent money as a former 1st round pick... will this be a factor? i would think the cards need to be smart about their money after signing warner and fitzgerald (and boldin?) to lucrative deals on top of the other players' salaries. thoughts?

hornitosmonster
03-04-2009, 06:43 PM
It is expected that he will ask for a trade...

TheRedMarauder
03-04-2009, 07:54 PM
He's only making a little over $2 million this year, so I doubt they trade h im unless another team makes a ridiculous offer.

chadillachembre
03-04-2009, 10:00 PM
Leinart signed a six-year deal with the Arizona Cardinals, a contract that ESPN.com has learned includes a maximum value of $50.8 million.

The basic six-year deal averages about $6.75 million per season and includes $14 million in guarantees.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2549668

chadillachembre
03-04-2009, 10:01 PM
Trade Leinart. Draft Day trade package Leinart and and Edge

tiramealasarana
03-05-2009, 02:56 AM
Who would take him?

fenikz
03-05-2009, 05:54 AM
I say keep him we have already paid most of his rookie contract, he is only getting like 2 mil a year now, we won't get good value for him in a trade and if Warner gets hurt he is a decent backup and would have a chance to show what he can do

nashty13
03-05-2009, 08:14 AM
Who would take him?

Ya i dunno. We def wouldn't get a lot for him. But a team with a new choach/regime w/o a QB (tampa?) would probably offer something. Who knows

krazytaz312
03-05-2009, 09:52 AM
I think it depends on who is available in the draft. If the Cards can pick up a decent QB in the late rounds then I would trade Matt. If not, then keep him. I am not sure if anyone would want him, but it would not surprise me to see some team take a chance on him, especially for a mid to late draft pick.

I just don't see him wanting to stick around as a back up for another couple of years.

nygiants242
03-05-2009, 09:55 AM
Arizona HAS to keep him. What will happen in two years? At some point you are going to have to start fresh, young. Who knows, Warner might even get injured this year too.

TheRedMarauder
03-05-2009, 10:55 AM
I think it depends on who is available in the draft. If the Cards can pick up a decent QB in the late rounds then I would trade Matt. If not, then keep him. I am not sure if anyone would want him, but it would not surprise me to see some team take a chance on him, especially for a mid to late draft pick.

I just don't see him wanting to stick around as a back up for another couple of years.

There are no decent QB's in the draft after the 1st round.

krazytaz312
03-05-2009, 12:27 PM
There are no decent QB's in the draft after the 1st round.

You never know when it comes to QBs. I am not convinced that the QB has to be a 1st rounder. Too many 1st rounders have not lived up to the hype so I think looking in the mid to late rounds could provide a good opportunity for the Cards to pick up a QB

RISE UP
03-08-2009, 03:29 AM
I think he's a mellow guy & won't ask for a trade. But, I still think this guy could be a star.

chadillachembre
03-08-2009, 03:15 PM
Who would take him?

Are you asking who would take edge and/or leinart? Not many teams but you never know what teams have a hidden agenda ya know... The 2 back system is the new thing in the NFL so im sure there are a few teams that wouldnt mind taking him in as a secondary back. I dunno who would want leinart. maybe a team like miami or jacksonville. Minnesota and Chicago are always looking for a QB and settle for average players to line up behind center because they rely more on their defense. unless people are willing to take the risk on him he isnt proven enough for people to pursue him as a starter

TheRedMarauder
03-08-2009, 10:06 PM
Matt Leinart said Saturday that he won't request a trade from the Cardinals.

With Kurt Warner re-signed, Leinart knows that he's not going to compete for a starting job. He also knows that Warner is 39 years old and the Cardinals have the best trio of wideouts in the league.

rotoworld

packerfan12
03-09-2009, 10:43 PM
It's good to see he's handling this very maturely. He's going to wait his turn, and learn from one of the best veteran QB's active, and possibly one of the better QB's of all time.

As much as people have been saying that Leinart is a bust, the same thing applies, he's never played much in the regular season so you don't really know what you have in store for when Warner retires.

I remember a couple years ago, Packers fans and others were saying that Aaron Rodgers was a wasted pick because he wasn't playing well and he wasn't getting much playing time in games and wasn't living up to potential when he did get in the game, but now look what's happening with Green Bay and Rodgers, yeah he's one of the better young QB's in the league, if not the best.

So don't get down on Leinart, because he's not been proven to be a bust yet. Give him some actual game time, and I don't mean pre-season time, I mean actual regular season time, and see how he does.

He'll be the Cardinals starting quarterback after the deal Warner just signed is up, and I fully expect Arizona to stick with him and give him the shot that he needs to become the next leader for them.

chadillachembre
03-09-2009, 11:43 PM
^the tricky thing about lienart taking over after warners contract expires is that hes a FA just after one yr I believe. If he plays well it will be tough to figure how much hes worth. players always play deceptivly great in those contract years...

Eagles_Guy
03-10-2009, 06:54 AM
I dunno if it would be smart for you guys to trade him. As disappointing as he has been, he still had a good college career.

Wasn't there rumored work ethic issues with him as well? By his comments in the press, it does sound like he's content just riding it out on the bench and getting paid. I don't buy that "I wanna compete for the job" bs, Warner is the starter, and there is no way Warner will not be the starter come Sept.

But probably biggest of all, if you guys redo Boldin's deal, you'll have two of the league's top WR's with no QB in 2 years.

Unless someone is offering up like a first, or maybe a couple picks that at least includes a 2nd, don't think it would be smart for you guys long term.

chadillachembre
03-10-2009, 10:28 AM
one other thing to gage leinart, this might not be fair, but its worth considering. look at all the other USC busts over the last 5-6 years. how many are great pro's other than palomalu and Palmer. can you really say matt cassell? Name me one great usc player from the last few years i havent named. i could not be thinking of one i dunno. they have been a hotbed for nfl let downs. let down might be a better word than bust because reggie bush is still a good player but easily a let down after what he did in college

FreedomReigns
03-11-2009, 10:54 PM
Keep Leinart around. He hasn't been given alot of opportunity. He's still potentially a solid NFL quarterback at what could be a bargain price if Warner is hit with the injury bug.

chadillachembre
03-11-2009, 11:50 PM
I agree we should keep him. He doesnt have much hope to be what we expected him too but he still does have one more shot once this warner contract is over

Denver-boy
03-12-2009, 02:05 PM
Matt lienart and boldin for jay cutler and stokley?? Thoughts?

kjdills13
03-12-2009, 03:41 PM

ya one thought.........your an idiot. we have kurt warner, but lets trade our wr and backup qb for cutler who would be a back up and then stokely a number 3 wr. so now the cardinals have to prowbowl qb's. This is probably the dumbest trade i have ever herd. You need to stay in the denver forum before you spread your dumbness to cardinals fans

chadillachembre
03-13-2009, 11:48 AM

I opologize for kjdills. he shouldnt be talking to any one on here like that. classless.

If we were without warner I think I would do that trade. Cutler would be our starting pro bowl QB for the years to come Fitz would be the #1 wr breaston step up to the #2 and stokley would be back in the eaxact role he was at with Indy. But that whole deal is in hind sight now

bornFrisco49er
03-17-2009, 03:20 AM

i would if i were broncos

Ferro21
03-17-2009, 04:44 PM
Leinart seems as if he's going to be a bust and supposably the Broncos are interested in him. I think we should make a three way trade of Leinart to Denver, Cutler to Minnesota (Who wants him) and the Cardinals first round pick, and the Card get Adrian Peterson. Any thoughts ??? Or any other possible situations ? I think we need to make this trade happen because Leinart is going to do nothing but lose his value and we can get a lot more for Cutler rather then Leinart.