PDA

View Full Version : Should the Bobcats pursue AI in the offseason?

king4day
03-04-2009, 06:10 PM
I never thought about it until the question was posed in an ESPN chat earlier...

Leon Rose (CAA): Isn't Iverson only going to get the MLE next season? Aren't the Bobcats a little thin at the 2 spot and in need of some scoring? Doesn't he and Larry have a wonderful past?!?! Isn't it a perfect match?

John Hollinger: (4:57 PM ET ) It would be really, really interesting, yes... and I do believe you're correct that MLE is about the most AI can expect this summer.

http://proxy.espn.go.com/chat/chatESPN?event_id=25320

Here's why I do it.

1. AI is can draw fans
2. More importantly, if you can get him for midlevel, he would fill the last piece they need in a scoring threat.

To me, this should be their primary focus in the offseason.

DerekRE_3
03-04-2009, 06:14 PM
God no. He would ruin the chemistry that the Bobcats have. Iverson coming here would hurt Diaw the most.

Chateamsfan
03-04-2009, 06:46 PM
God no. He would ruin the chemistry that the Bobcats have. Iverson coming here would hurt Diaw the most.

I think it would hurt Bell the most. Why would it hurt Diaw?

DerekRE_3
03-04-2009, 07:06 PM
I think it would hurt Bell the most. Why would it hurt Diaw?

Because right now Larry Brown puts the ball into Diaw's hands and has him be the playmaker. With AI, he'd have the ball all the time, so Diaw would become a ghost, just like he did in Phoenix when Amare came back.

Chateamsfan
03-04-2009, 07:20 PM
true

homestarunner93
03-04-2009, 08:26 PM
I'd like to see us try it out. If it doesn't work, the team is still young.

TruBlu2376
03-04-2009, 11:04 PM
NO! NO! NO! ........... awful idea. they are far better options going to be out there, players that would fit Browns style better. I can't name them right now, but A.I. would be a cancer to the progress we have seen. Plus Brown has showed that his N.Y. stint was a fluke and the players in the league now know this team is one good scorer from becoming a regular playoff team for the next 5 seasons to come.

homestarunner93
03-04-2009, 11:26 PM
NO! NO! NO! ........... awful idea. they are far better options going to be out there, players that would fit Browns style better. I can't name them right now, but A.I. would be a cancer to the progress we have seen. Plus Brown has showed that his N.Y. stint was a fluke and the players in the league now know this team is one good scorer from becoming a regular playoff team for the next 5 seasons to come.

A.I. could be that guy. I don't think he'd be a cancer, he respects Coach Brown and I think guys like Wallace would step up in the locker room and not allow him to become a distraction.

DerekRE_3
03-04-2009, 11:27 PM
A.I. could be that guy. I don't think he'd be a cancer, he respects Coach Brown and I think guys like Wallace would step up in the locker room and not allow him to become a distraction.

You'd think players like Rip Hamilton and McDyess would do that in Detroit but...

Spurred1
03-05-2009, 03:24 AM
A.I. will need the ball in his hands to do anything. Wouldn't that pretty much disrupt the flow of the game for the other players? Besides, isn't Brown a defensive minded coach? Does A.I. fit in with Brown's style of play?

JakeDelbreezy
03-05-2009, 08:44 AM
If all the Bobcats wanted to do was sale tickets, then it would be a genius move. If what they wanted to do was win, well then it would be a horrible move.

These are the Bobcats who we be affected negatively by them signing AI. Emeka Okafor, Gerald Wallace, Boris Diaw, Raymond Felton, DJ Augustin, Alexis Ajinca, Cartier Martin, Juwan Howard, Valde Radmanovic, Gana Diop, Nazr Mohammad, Raja Bell.

Why you ask?
#1 He play NO defense. With the Bobcats hanging their hat on being a solid defensive team, would you want one of your main cogs playing no defense? Not to mention a backcourt of either DJ and AI or Ray and AI would be extremely small and vulnerable.

#2 He almost always has to have the ball in his hands to be effective. That means little to no playmaking time for DJ, Ray or Boris

Sure, there would be a lot of Iverson jerseys running around Charlotte, but there would also be a lot of L's piling up in the loss column. He would take the team from one that plays team basketball to one that just has to stand back and watch him chuck up 23 shots every game....I think it would be a disaster. The Bobcats need a guy like Michael Redd as opposed to a guy like AI, just MO though.

op12
03-05-2009, 12:44 PM
agree with everyone. he would ruin the chemistry they are developing. they do need a scoring sg but not ai.

homestarunner93
03-05-2009, 06:10 PM
You'd think players like Rip Hamilton and McDyess would do that in Detroit but...

Actually, not really. Neither of them is really a strong figure, in my opinion. Shoot, Rip Hamilton has to hide behind that mask that he thinks gives him super strength or something.

DerekRE_3
03-05-2009, 06:32 PM
Actually, not really. Neither of them is really a strong figure, in my opinion. Shoot, Rip Hamilton has to hide behind that mask that he thinks gives him super strength or something.

He doesn't hide behind that mask. :pity: He continues to wear it because he got so used to having it on.

homestarunner93
03-05-2009, 10:03 PM
He doesn't hide behind that mask. :pity: He continues to wear it because he got so used to having it on.

He hides behind it. Its the only reason he's famous, that great run in the playoffs when 'Trooper Rip' broke his nose and had several great series.

Chateamsfan
03-05-2009, 10:15 PM
AIsad he'll do whatever it takes to win including sitting on the bench. Does that change anyone's feelings about AI to the Bobcats?

DerekRE_3
03-05-2009, 10:33 PM
AIsad he'll do whatever it takes to win including sitting on the bench. Does that change anyone's feelings about AI to the Bobcats?

No.

extreme k.closs
03-06-2009, 12:45 AM
If you guys got AI you'll be 6th-8th seed at best for a couple of years then end up guting the team because it'll just be mediocre, with bad chemistry. Kind of like where the pistons are at rite now

JakeDelbreezy
03-06-2009, 08:56 AM
If you guys got AI you'll be 6th-8th seed at best for a couple of years then end up guting the team because it'll just be mediocre, with bad chemistry. Kind of like where the pistons are at rite now

The Bobcats are probably going to be the 6th to 8th seed next year without AI. If they got AI they'd probably miss the playoffs. Bringing him in would set the team back at least two years. And why would they gut the team in a couple of years? Raja Bell is the only key player on the team over 30 yrs old.

king4day
03-06-2009, 03:47 PM
OK how about Ben Gordon instead? Assuming they can sign him for 8mil or less, would you do it?
Maybe let Felton go and use Gordon at the 2 with DJ taking the PG reigns.
Then sign or trade for a veteran backup PG.

DerekRE_3
03-06-2009, 06:38 PM
OK how about Ben Gordon instead? Assuming they can sign him for 8mil or less, would you do it?
Maybe let Felton go and use Gordon at the 2 with DJ taking the PG reigns.
Then sign or trade for a veteran backup PG.

The problem with Ben Gordon is he plays absolutely no defense and is a chucker. I'd actually rather have Felton than him.

GreatMustachio1
03-07-2009, 01:40 AM
The problem with Ben Gordon is he plays absolutely no defense and is a chucker. I'd actually rather have Felton than him.

I agree, id much rather have Felton. He is so smart with the ball and can get to the hole with the best in the league. He better be our starting PG next year and hopefully for many years.

king4day
03-07-2009, 07:12 PM

I can see felton having a big year next season. I just hope they don't overpay

extreme k.closs
03-09-2009, 01:18 AM
The Bobcats are probably going to be the 6th to 8th seed next year without AI. If they got AI they'd probably miss the playoffs. Bringing him in would set the team back at least two years. And why would they gut the team in a couple of years? Raja Bell is the only key player on the team over 30 yrs old.

well man that was what i was saying if AI was brought in. And I think if you were to get AI you would end up gutting the team in a few years because players will get frustrated, with the lack of wins, AI, not being able to grab a free agent to plug a hole due to some of the long contracts you have. Like AI, just wherever he goes the team he is on always seems to have problems.

DerekRE_3
03-09-2009, 01:29 AM
I can see felton having a big year next season. I just hope they don't overpay

I think next year he will continue to build on what he has been doing post all star break this season.

Here are his numbers since the all star break:
16 ppg 7.3 apg 4 rpg 48% FG 36 % 3 PT 89% FT

JakeDelbreezy
03-09-2009, 08:34 AM
well man that was what i was saying if AI was brought in. And I think if you were to get AI you would end up gutting the team in a few years because players will get frustrated, with the lack of wins, AI, not being able to grab a free agent to plug a hole due to some of the long contracts you have. Like AI, just wherever he goes the team he is on always seems to have problems.

Yeah, I see what you're saying now...sorry I misread your original post.

michaelbt18
03-09-2009, 04:11 PM

No. There is a reason he hasnt won yet. The bobcats are a very balanced team, no one chucks shot after shot. Having some one like that would ruin the great chemistry that they've gained the past couple months.

michaelbt18
03-09-2009, 04:16 PM

No. There is a reason he hasnt won yet. The bobcats are a very balanced team, no one chucks shot after shot. Having some one like that would ruin the great chemistry that they've gained the past couple months.
DRRRRRRK!