PDA

View Full Version : Is Memphis really that good?

Wrigleyboy25
03-04-2009, 02:01 PM
Currently, Memphis is ranked 3rd and 5th in the polls, fighting for a number 1 seed.

But they play in C-USA...which means they play nobody.

They have 3 losses, all came out of conference. They have home losses to Xavier and Syracuse. They lost at Georgetown. It seems to me they haven't been able to beat a single good team unless you count UAB who plays in the same crappy conference and if you want to count Cincy, a big bubble team.

Don't get me wrong 20 straight wins and counting is impressive as hell. But I can't help but think that 5-7 teams from the Big East, up to 5 from the ACC and a few from the Big 12 would all be ahead of Memphis if they played in the same conference.

Wake's Fastball
03-04-2009, 02:28 PM
They're a good team. The talent is there, but it's pretty bad seeing a complete absence of quality wins.

Sabres39
03-04-2009, 02:36 PM
No. They are a good team, but they definitely aren't top five worthy. It seems to me that they hit their stride once they hit conference play, so basically they are just feasting off of weak competition.

Honestly, if there were in the ACC or the Big East, they might not even be in the top 15 or 20.

YankeePride13
03-04-2009, 02:46 PM
They did beat Gonzaga in Washington...but...

Their record will always be blown up though. It's such an advantage to have 12-15 games per year where you literally do not get challenged.

In the ACC or Big East, you're getting challenged in virtually every game you play.

I think they're a bit gassed up this year. Very inexperienced and that will show come tourney time.

LivingThroughMe
03-04-2009, 02:53 PM
They're good, but not that good.

cardinals1226
03-04-2009, 03:01 PM
They're a good team, but are vastly overrated. They played a very weak non-conference and the only teams that are in the top 50 in rpi they lost. Losses at Xavier, at Georgetown, Syracuse at home, barely beat Tennessee who is having a terrible year. None to mention, they are in a terrible conference. They are a top 25 team, but not a top 5.

The team is very young and still can't shoot free throws and is not a very good defensive team. They will be exposed horribly in the tourney.

sdweston757
03-04-2009, 03:17 PM
there a top 25 team but not a top 10 team. they will prolly get to the sweet 16 because of there high seeding and lose.

Max Power
03-04-2009, 03:23 PM
They are what UNLV was 15-20 years ago. A major program in a mid-major conference. They will always have a ridiculously good record due to the schedule they play, but only when they do actually have top 5-10 talent, like last year, will they be a legit threat to win it all.

They'll most likely win the rest of thier games, but I wouldn't be all that surprised if they get a 2 seed.

YankeePride13
03-04-2009, 03:47 PM
They are what UNLV was 15-20 years ago. A major program in a mid-major conference. They will always have a ridiculously good record due to the schedule they play, but only when they do actually have top 5-10 talent, like last year, will they be a legit threat to win it all.

They'll most likely win the rest of thier games, but I wouldn't be all that surprised if they get a 2 seed.

Well....I wouldn't go that far...

There is no Larry Johnson, Stacey Augman, or Greg Anthony on Memphis this year. They probably only have one NBA player in Evans...

SidTheKid
03-04-2009, 03:51 PM
C-USA is a complete joke. Memphis is a good team but have played no competition this year and have lost to most of the good teams they've faced out of conference.

DamnGoat
03-04-2009, 03:51 PM
They are a very good team, but they're not a top 5 team like they're being ranked.

They have plenty of talent and are excellent defensively, but they're not a championship threat this year.

Max Power
03-04-2009, 04:22 PM
Well....I wouldn't go that far...

There is no Larry Johnson, Stacey Augman, or Greg Anthony on Memphis this year. They probably only have one NBA player in Evans...

Which is exactly why I stated that they don't have as legit chance to win it this season, like they did last season.

I was comparing the programs any way, not individual teams from the programs.

J4KOP99
03-04-2009, 04:40 PM
They are good but because of what conferance they play in, it is impossibly to tell how good they actually are.(Same as every year with them)

They are not the same as some of their teams of the past but I really do not know how far they could go in the tournament. Them being in the top 5 is ridiculous in my opinion.

SidTheKid
03-04-2009, 04:42 PM
They are good but because of what conferance they play in, it is impossibly to tell how good they actually are.(Same as every year with them)

They are not the same as some of their teams of the past but I really do not know how far they could go in the tournament. Them being in the top 5 is ridiculous in my opinion.

Agreed.

kvrnm
03-04-2009, 07:13 PM
they are good and can beat anyone in the country, it helps that they dont have to play good teams every night too. that way they are ready for the few intense games they will have.

SidTheKid
03-04-2009, 07:18 PM
they are good and can beat anyone in the country, it helps that they dont have to play good teams every night too. that way they are ready for the few intense games they will have.

How is not playing good teams going to get them ready when they have to play good teams in the tournament?

kvrnm
03-04-2009, 07:22 PM
How is not playing good teams going to get them ready when they have to play good teams in the tournament?

thats the down side to it i think, during the tourney, they are going to have tough games every time.

kvrnm
03-04-2009, 07:23 PM
it will help them if they do get a no. 1 seed though

m26555
03-04-2009, 10:55 PM
Personally, I think Memphis is going to be VERY vulnerable in the NCAA Tournament. I could see them going down in the round of 32.

cardinals1226
03-04-2009, 11:30 PM
it will help them if they do get a no. 1 seed though

If they get a number one seed the NCAA should be taken out back and shot. There is no way in hell Memphis is even close to worthy of a number one seed. They should be no higher than a 3-4 seed at best.

m26555
03-05-2009, 12:34 AM
If they get a number one seed the NCAA should be taken out back and shot. There is no way in hell Memphis is even close to worthy of a number one seed. They should be no higher than a 3-4 seed at best.
I agree, but they will most likely be a 2.

LivingThroughMe
03-06-2009, 01:20 PM
I agree, but they will most likely be a 2.

+1. I will be shocked (but happy) if they are lower than 2.