PDA

View Full Version : The Official Shaq yacks to the media thread ...

RealistRocket34
03-03-2009, 11:37 PM
http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/sports_magic/2009/03/howard-reacts-to-jabs-from-shaq-the-big-diss.html

Well, itís all pretty much a variation on the same adolescent theme: Iím the original NBA Superman and Dwight canít carry my, er, cape.

"You know, itís normal for a kid to copycat his idol, but you know he can never be this good," Shaq has said.

Shaq was asked by CBSSports' Ken Berger recently if Howard was the closest thing to being the next Shaq. OíNeal scoffed.

"No. Not at all. Heís a good player. He can jump. But no," he said. "I was the type of player that they had to have secret meetings and change the rules and do all that. Probably never be another me. Heís a good player, but everything heís done, Iíve invented. So Iím not impressed."

Sports Illustrated asked OíNeal --- who sports a Superman tattoo and often wears Superman pajama bottoms to practice --- whether Howardís Superman shtick bothered him.

"Doesnít bother me. I canít be impressed by something I invented in í92 (his first year in Orlando) . I mean, you look at what he is doing, Iíve been there and done that," OíNeal said. "Every street he is driving down in Orlando, I have been on that street. Every nightclub, every restaurant. . .. I have been there and done that.

"Until he wins three, four championships, then we can talk about him. But right now, he is just like every other big guy. ĎYou can run and jump, but you havenít won yet."í

bostncelts34
03-03-2009, 11:39 PM
i agree shaq daddyyyyy

RealistRocket34
03-03-2009, 11:43 PM
i agree shaq daddyyyyy
So Do I, and he probably thinks Yao is the best center anyways. He's had great respect for him since Yao's rookie/sophomore year.

ProdigyI
03-03-2009, 11:44 PM
hes the cockiest **** alive...........but he's right

Becks2307
03-03-2009, 11:45 PM
shaqs speakin the truth dwight hasnt won anything yet

RealistRocket34
03-03-2009, 11:49 PM
When you are as dominant as he is, You can be whatever you like.

Shaq is probably the most dominant center ever him or Wilt of course. He is also arguably the GOAT center.

Although Shaq does say very stupid things, I think this is one of the accurate things he's talking about.

oshea225
03-04-2009, 12:01 AM
shaq's worked his way to being allowed to make comments like this (not saying that dwight doesnt work). given he comes off cocky and arrogant, if you take away the tone and manner that he said it in, then you realize he's 100% right. talent wise, is dwight the next shaq? id say so. but until that talent translates into trophies, then dwight isnt the next shaq, hes just the next great big man that didnt win

RealistRocket34
03-04-2009, 12:06 AM
shaq's worked his way to being allowed to make comments like this (not saying that dwight doesnt work). given he comes off cocky and arrogant, if you take away the tone and manner that he said it in, then you realize he's 100% right. talent wise, is dwight the next shaq? id say so. but until that talent translates into trophies, then dwight isnt the next shaq, hes just the next great big man that didnt win
I'll take a guess and say you never watched Shaq play in his prime. There is never going to be another Shaq.

Dwight Howard is a glorified Tyson Chandler.

Dwight is a defensive minded center, Shaq was much more offensive minded. Shaq admitted many times during his young years he never even played defense.

Dwight will never be greater than Shaq or anything close. The only thing these guys have in common is that they are black and they can't hit Free throws.

AirJordanXVIII
03-04-2009, 12:10 AM
I can see why Shaq would say this and I could care less. Dwight has won anything yet, despite his ridiculous numbers.

MTone8788
03-04-2009, 12:12 AM
I wouldn't name this thread "jabs at D. Howard' because from what he is saying I don't think he is trying to insult Dwight Howard, he is just stating the obvious.

MJ-BULLS
shaq has a point, howard is an amazing player but shaq is shaq daddy

oshea225
I'll take a guess and say you never watched Shaq play in his prime. There is never going to be another Shaq.

Dwight is a defensive minded center, Shaq was much more offensive minded. Shaq admitted many times during his young years he never even played defense.

Dwight will never be greater than Shaq or anything close. The only thing these guys have in common is that they are black and they can't hit Free throws.

i'll take a guess and say you're a damn fool for thinking i didn't see shaq in his prime.

i meant that dwight can be the next shaq, or the closest thing we'll see to him at the center for a long long time, in terms of domination. given shaq was an offensive dominator, i think dwight can be ALMOST as dominant, just defensivey.

and that last part is just ignorant

More-Than-Most
03-04-2009, 12:13 AM
Give Howard the weapons that shaq had and he would win quite a few championships as well... Phil jackson,Kobe Bryant,Robert Horry, and the list goes on. Just because shaq "was" great doesn't mean he should be an *** about it.

RealistRocket34
03-04-2009, 12:15 AM

i'll take a guess and say you're a damn fool for thinking i didn't see shaq in his prime.

i meant that dwight can be the next shaq, or the closest thing we'll see to him at the center for a long long time, in terms of domination. given shaq was an offensive dominator, i think dwight can be ALMOST as dominant, just defensivey.

and that last part is just ignorant
How can they have anything in common when they have different focus? Dwight Howard is a defensive center, Shaq was offensive minded. Dwight Howard will never be that good offensive as Shaq said.

You obviously never watched Shaq ever in your lifetime outside of today probably.

oshea225
03-04-2009, 12:23 AM
[QUOTE=oshea225;8611869]
How can they have anything in common when they have different focus? Dwight Howard is a defensive center, Shaq was offensive minded. Dwight Howard will never be that good offensive as Shaq said.

You obviously never watched Shaq ever in your lifetime outside of today probably.

learn to read buddy. i said their commodity is their DOMINATION. or in dwight's case, potential domination. shaq was DOMINANT offensively. dwight has the potential to be as DOMINANT or at least the closest thing to it that we;ll see for a while defensively.

and you're right, i've never watched shaq. i havent been following his every game since 2000, check every box score of every game he played in for years, i didn't watch his 3peat, i didn't follow him to miami, i didnt watch him win a championship there, i didnt follow him to phoenix. i didnt read handfuls of books about him, do dozens of elementary school projects on him, idolize him, go to every game of his i possibly could, have 3 of his jerseys.

JabberJaw
03-04-2009, 12:25 AM
I love Shaq, but why is this guy in the papers crackin' on somebody every week? I know he is one of the most dominant, if not the most dominant big men of all time, but wtf. Yeah, I guess Dwight is just "ok" right? lmao! Right now, Dwight hasn't won anything, but he also hasn't had the sidekicks that Shaq has had either. Shaq just needs to stop talking and respect guys like they respect him. Dwight is the most dominant big man in the league. #1 Center, and that is an easy call. I'm sure Shaq doesn't like the fact that he has been overshadowed now. It happens big fella. As much as I love Shaq, sometimes he just talks waaaay too much.

RealistRocket34
03-04-2009, 12:27 AM
[QUOTE=RealistRocket34;8611915]

learn to read buddy. i said their commodity is their DOMINATION. or in dwight's case, potential domination. shaq was DOMINANT offensively. dwight has the potential to be as DOMINANT or at least the closest thing to it that we;ll see for a while defensively.

and you're right, i've never watched shaq. i havent been following his every game since 2000, check every box score of every game he played in for years, i didn't watch his 3peat, i didn't follow him to miami, i didnt watch him win a championship there, i didnt follow him to phoenix. i didnt read handfuls of books about him, do dozens of elementary school projects on him, idolize him, go to every game of his i possibly could, have 3 of his jerseys.
Just because you say that, You think I'm going to believe you.

So yeah, I'm just an NBA player. I won 15 rings in the NBA. I actually have more rings than Bill Russell. I'm just saying that because i want more credibility.
Sound familiar?

Looking at box-scores doesn't count ROFL.

I never knew dominating on defense is the same on offense.

I'll take a guess and say, You've never even played organized basketball in your life or you don't watch games you just look at the boxscore.

One of them have to be true.

oshea225
03-04-2009, 12:31 AM
[QUOTE=oshea225;8612046]
Just because you say that, You think I'm going to believe you.

So yeah, I'm just an NBA player. I won 15 rings in the NBA. I actually have more rings than Bill Russell. I'm just saying that because i want more credibility.
Sound familiar?

Looking at box-scores doesn't count ROFL.

I never knew dominating on defense is the same on offense.

I'll take a guess and say, You've never even played organized basketball in your life or you don't watch games you just look at the boxscore.

One of them have to be true.

continue to personally attack me i love it. honestly, your argument at this point is that i'm lying to you? lmao okay. and nope never played organized ball. unless you count those 14 teams ive played for? but nah i'm just lying :rolleyes:

RealistRocket34
03-04-2009, 12:31 AM
Thank you for waving the white flag. Jeez, owning you is easy and ROFL at you thinking that's a personal attack. School must tough be for you.

JabberJaw
03-04-2009, 12:32 AM
Shaq was also 28 when he won his first championship. I think Dwight is doing fine in his career, and will most likely be a HOF'er. His upside is ridiculous, and he is already the best C in the league. If he gains some real go to post moves, he will be unstoppable.

RealistRocket34
03-04-2009, 12:33 AM
Shaq was also 28 when he won his first championship. I think Dwight is doing fine in his career, and will most likely be a HOF'er. His upside is ridiculous, and he is already the best C in the league. If he gains some real go to post moves, he will be unstoppable.
You never heard of Yao Ming? :crazy:

iangallagher29
03-04-2009, 12:34 AM

yea but shaq has already proven that, i like howard but wait untill he wins something until you start comparing him to one of the games all-time greats

oshea225
03-04-2009, 12:35 AM
Thank you for waving the white flag. Jeez, owning you is easy.

LMFAO waving the white flag? i made my argument, you couldnt understand it, i made it again, you called me a liar. what more would you like me to do? do you want some cookies or something? i'll gladly get you some if it'll make you feel better about "owning" me.

anyway, please enlighten me as to how you owned me.

RealistRocket34
03-04-2009, 12:36 AM
LMFAO waving the white flag? i made my argument, you couldnt understand it, i made it again, you called me a liar. what more would you like me to do? do you want some cookies or something? i'll gladly get you some if it'll make you feel better about "owning" me.

anyway, please enlighten me as to how you owned me.
Going off-topic? Now you are seriously going out of control.

Talk to me when your IQ reaches 50.

iangallagher29
03-04-2009, 12:37 AM

good one big guy

KG2TB
03-04-2009, 12:39 AM
I think Shaq sees a young dominating big man with more potential and a better work ethic than himself and is a little worried so he took some cheap shots and is gonna hope Dwight never wins anything hahah Just give Dwight his due as being an up and coming top center in the league but then put it into perspective that he hasn't won anything yet. The jab is unnecessary but what else do you expect from Shaq?

oshea225
03-04-2009, 12:40 AM

pretty sure you're the one who went off topic when you claimed i lied about shaq? and then challenged me, saying i had never played organized ball? oh right guess i forgot. anyway if you want me to go back on topic - gladly. i'll repeat my argument, for the third time now, this time in very simple terms:

Shaq - dominant offensively (most dominant ever, with exception if wilt).
Dwight - potential to be dominant defensively.
see the similarity? by the end of dwight's career, he has the chance to be as dominant defensively as shaq was offensively. if you can't understand that, i feel very bad for you.

anyway, back to the off topic. mind to tell me how you owned me?

RealistRocket34
03-04-2009, 12:42 AM
pretty sure you're the one who went off topic when you claimed i lied about shaq? and then challenged me, saying i had never played organized ball? oh right guess i forgot. anyway if you want me to go back on topic - gladly. i'll repeat my argument, for the third time now, this time in very simple terms:

Shaq - dominant offensively (most dominant ever, with exception if wilt).
Dwight - potential to be dominant defensively.
see the similarity? by the end of dwight's career, he has the chance to be as dominant defensively as shaq was offensively. if you can't understand that, i feel very bad for you.

anyway, back to the off topic. mind to tell me how you owned me?
So what you are saying is

Dominating offensively = Dominating defensively?

Ok then
Marcus Camby = Wilt Chamberlain

I mean Camby does dominate defensively does he not? Camby must be Wilt Chamberlain.

what54!?
03-04-2009, 12:43 AM
Pretty damn cocky but true. Shaq is the original superman. Whats gonna be next the Howard attack?

LanceUpperCut
03-04-2009, 12:44 AM
Shaq's just being an idiot now.Really Dwight has'nt won nothing yet ,give him some ****ing years all this **** bad mouthing young guy's like Howard and Bosh in ten years if they have'nt done anything then your right Shaq.I guess CB4,CB3,Lebron,Brandon Roy,Deron Williams,Dwight Howard,Yao Ming,Steve Nash,Dirk...etc. all suck cause they have'nt won.

iangallagher29
03-04-2009, 12:45 AM

Ok then

I mean Camby does dominate defensively does he not? Camby must be Wilt Chamberlain.

Camby does dominate defensively but oshea is mearly comparing that shaq one of the best ever,offensively, and that howard could one day = that same excellence in a defensive fashion.

KingsMadness44
03-04-2009, 12:45 AM
Give Howard the weapons that shaq had and he would win quite a few championships as well... Phil jackson,Kobe Bryant,Robert Horry, and the list goes on. Just because shaq "was" great doesn't mean he should be an *** about it.

yea lets not forget shaq wasnt winning squat on the magic in his early years and then he went to the lakers who had Kobe Bryant and phil jackson so i think u can make an arguement that if shaq hadnt been put on such a great team(and in 2002 they cheated) that he wouldnt have 3 of those 4 rings

i mean even the 4th ring he had dwayne wade so shaq has always been on good teams with good coaches

dont get me wrong i agree that shaq is one of if not the most dominant center in the league ever but he could very well have no rings if it hadnt been for those great teams

iangallagher29
03-04-2009, 12:46 AM
camby does not even compare to the centers in the leauge the last 10 years no where near wilt

oshea225
03-04-2009, 12:46 AM

Ok then

oh my gosh dude really its not that hard. im saying domination is domination. did i ever say dwight is shaq's equal? no. i said he has the potential to be a dominant player, just like shaq was. just like chris paul dominates at point guard and tim duncan dominates at power forward. they aren't equals (ala dwight and shaq arent, nor will they ever be, equals), but they are both dominant.

by the way, heres that cookie i promised you - http://thehealthblogger.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/07/cookie.jpg

and for the 3rd or 4th time now, i ask you again - please explain to me how you owned me.

RealistRocket34
03-04-2009, 12:47 AM
I almost fell off my chair dude, I almost fell off.

I'm done with you, It's obvious not only did you never watch Shaq play but you probably never played basketball in your own time. I'm done. Go watch more sportscenter.

iangallagher29
03-04-2009, 12:48 AM
yea lets not forget shaq wasnt winning squat on the magic in his early years and then he went to the lakers who had Kobe Bryant and phil jackson so i think u can make an arguement that if shaq hadnt been put on such a great team(and in 2002 they cheated) that he wouldnt have 3 of those 4 rings

i mean even the 4th ring he had dwayne wade so shaq has always been on good teams with good coaches

dont get me wrong i agree that shaq is one of if not the most dominant center in the league ever but he could very well have no rings if it hadnt been for those great teams

yes shaq had help but so did kobe and wade, would they have won championships without shaq. wade wouldn't have, kobe based on skill probabally would have won a championship w/o shaq. but no way the lakers 3peat w/o shaq

saucy1
03-04-2009, 12:49 AM
shaq needs 2 get over himself sounds sorry when guys talk about what they used 2 do,dwight howard is to classy 2 ever diss anyone

oshea225
03-04-2009, 12:50 AM

I'm done with you, It's obvious not only did you never watch Shaq play but you probably never played basketball in your own time. I'm done. Go watch more sportscenter.

waving the white flag i see?

RealistRocket34
03-04-2009, 12:51 AM
waving the white flag i see?
Let me ask you this question little boy...
Who is the best center in the NBA when healthy? Yao or Howard.

xanderyear
03-04-2009, 12:52 AM

Honestly? Quit baiting. It doesn't make you any cooler trying to insult someone over the internet.

We all know Shaq is pretty outspoken, but I think the comparison is justified in the fact that Howard has the opportunity to become a dominant big man offensively. If Howard could even develop half of the offensive moves shaq had, i'd take Howard any day for his overall game.

KeithLBC
03-04-2009, 12:53 AM
yea but shaq has already proven that, i like howard but wait untill he wins something until you start comparing him to one of the games all-time greats

Then why does Lebron get a pass :confused:

I actually agree with Shaq this time too, but he's an arrogant bastard :p

Nirvanaskurdt
03-04-2009, 12:54 AM
check... and mate.

iangallagher29
03-04-2009, 12:54 AM
Honestly? Quit baiting. It doesn't make you any cooler trying to insult someone over the internet.

We all know Shaq is pretty outspoken, but I think the comparison is justified in the fact that Howard has the opportunity to become a dominant big man offensively. If Howard could even develop half of the offensive moves shaq had, i'd take Howard any day for his overall game.

bottom line howard has to win. no matter how dominant a player is his legacy is sealed with a championship except in certain cases with sir charles and jkidd

Nirvanaskurdt
03-04-2009, 12:55 AM
agreed... Shaq is very arrogant and a bit slow... usually not a good combo...

oshea225
03-04-2009, 12:55 AM
Let me ask you this question little boy...
Who is the best center in the NBA when healthy? Yao or Howard.

offensively, yao. he has a far better array of moves, can extend to midrange and rarely even 3. fundamentally is miles ahead of dwight. dwight uses his inhuman strength to score.

defensively, dwight. theres no arguing with the league leading shot blocker and rebounder. his strength allows him to be much more physical than yao, who is more of a finesse player.

let me ask you this question big bad internet man - how exactly did you own me? another question - since when is accusing a "little boy" an adeqaute argument? you claimed i waved the white flag, right after your only argument was that i was lying to you.

bmcpx1034
03-04-2009, 12:56 AM
http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/sports_magic/2009/03/howard-reacts-to-jabs-from-shaq-the-big-diss.html

You've got to lick it
before Shaq sticks it!

iangallagher29
03-04-2009, 12:56 AM
Then why does Lebron get a pass :confused:

I actually agree with Shaq this time too, but he's an arrogant bastard :p

lebron has shown the ability to get to the championship with limited skill around him. so thats why he gets a pass

iangallagher29
03-04-2009, 12:59 AM
offensively, yao. he has a far better array of moves, can extend to midrange and rarely even 3. fundamentally is miles ahead of dwight. dwight uses his inhuman strength to score.

defensively, dwight. theres no arguing with the league leading shot blocker and rebounder. his strength allows him to be much more physical than yao, who is more of a finesse player.

let me ask you this question big bad internet man - how exactly did you own me? another question - since when is accusing a "little boy" an adeqaute argument? you claimed i waved the white flag, right after your only argument was that i was lying to you.

i think his IQ has risen above 50 lol

oshea225
03-04-2009, 01:05 AM
i think his IQ has risen above 50 lol

i'd say so, but sadly i've run all out of cookies :sigh:

KeithLBC
03-04-2009, 01:06 AM
lebron has shown the ability to get to the championship with limited skill around him. so thats why he gets a pass

I've never seen you post this situation, but a lot of people are always comparing Lebron to past greats.

"yea but shaq has already proven that, i like howard but wait untill he wins something until you start comparing him to one of the games all-time greats"

As far as I know, Lebron hasn't won anything. As a matter of fact, he got swept in the finals ;)

I think Lebron is a phenomenal talent and one of the best in the NBA, but he's never won anything :shrug:

I love Shaq, I just wish he would give other players more respect than he does :)

iangallagher29
03-04-2009, 01:07 AM
I've never seen you post this situation, but a lot of people are always comparing Lebron to past greats.

"yea but shaq has already proven that, i like howard but wait untill he wins something until you start comparing him to one of the games all-time greats"

As far as I know, Lebron hasn't won anything. As a matter of fact, he got swept in the finals ;)

I think Lebron is a phenomenal talent and one of the best in the NBA, but he's never won anything :shrug:

I love Shaq, I just wish he would give other players more respect than he does :)

okay sounds good

IversonIsKrazy
03-04-2009, 01:08 AM
D12 is the closest thing we've seen to Shaq, but there aint gonna be another Shaq...

RealistRocket34
03-04-2009, 01:10 AM
D12 is the closest thing we've seen to Shaq, but there aint gonna be another Shaq...
There is no Shaq outside of Wilt Chamberlain sorry.

iangallagher29
03-04-2009, 01:10 AM
i'd say so, but sadly i've run all out of cookies :sigh:

thats too bad, i like cookies

iangallagher29
03-04-2009, 01:23 AM
i believe we have a winner....Oshea225

JabberJaw
03-04-2009, 01:24 AM
You never heard of Yao Ming? :crazy:

Dwight is better than Yao. Are you kidding? Anyone with some sense knows that. He is injured every year. Dwight gets outrebounded by guys much smaller than him. He is no force on defense either. You have to account for Dwight on both ends. I guarantee if Orlando wanted to trade Dwight for Yao, Houston would jump at the chance.

Mrphilly
03-04-2009, 01:24 AM
Shaq hasnt played on one team where there wasnt another superstar along side of him. Plus both championship teams had hall of fame coaches.

Howard is pretty dominant for a guy that hasnt played 1 college game and is surrounded by 6'10 jump shooters.

Howard is a 23 yr old kid that plenty of time win a few rings. Shaq didnt win one in Orlando either.

Whoever said howard is a glorified Tyson Chandler, is so far off its a shame. Chandler is a defensive minded Center that score when he is set up at the rim. Howard is defensive minded center that has an offensive game that is getting better and better.

Only thing Howard doesnt do that Shaq did was get away with offensive fouls all game. Other than that, they have the same game.

oshea225
03-04-2009, 01:25 AM
:dance:

JabberJaw
03-04-2009, 01:27 AM

I'm not comparing over the course of his career. I am just saying at this point, he is better than Shaq is now. Shaqs career is light years ahead of Dwights, because Dwight hasn't won anything. I am just saying for how young Dwight is, you can't compare him and Shaq. It's like Olajuwon taking a swipe at Shaq before Shaq was on the Lakers. It just isn't a fair assessment. Thats all. I love Shaq. He is one of my favs of all time. I just think he is immature, and doesn't like when people steal his thunder. Thats all.

iangallagher29
03-04-2009, 01:32 AM
I'm not comparing over the course of his career. I am just saying at this point, he is better than Shaq is now. Shaqs career is light years ahead of Dwights, because Dwight hasn't won anything. I am just saying for how young Dwight is, you can't compare him and Shaq. It's like Olajuwon taking a swipe at Shaq before Shaq was on the Lakers. It just isn't a fair assessment. Thats all. I love Shaq. He is one of my favs of all time. I just think he is immature, and doesn't like when people steal his thunder. Thats all.

im only comparing their careers cause thats what shaq is talking about in the article

bigvdebo86
03-04-2009, 01:35 AM
maybe if dwight had kobe and d wade he would have 4 rings to

JabberJaw
03-04-2009, 01:36 AM

:clap::clap::clap: Exactly. Shaq has always gotten respect from everyone, but the second he is overshadowed he gets all hurt. Dwight is young and is an absolute nightmare for any opponent. Sound like anyone? yeah, Shaq was that guy his whole career. Everyone knows how good Shaq was. I bet if you asked Dwight anything about Shaq he would only be complimentary. You ask Shaq about any of todays star big men, aside from Yao, and he belittles them. And I love Shaq. He just is too sensitive, and always has been.

JabberJaw
03-04-2009, 01:38 AM
There is no Shaq outside of Wilt Chamberlain sorry.

Don't think Kareem was too bad...but he is always overlooked.

MagicBucsSox
03-04-2009, 01:45 AM

hows he right? what did shaq win at 23? what he ever win w/o a great perimeter top5 player win him? dwight has none of that at 25 shaq just got schooled by hakeem in the finals so he should just chill and realize he's the kids idol, same way daryl dawkins was to shaq

RealistRocket34
03-04-2009, 01:47 AM
Shaq was named Top 50 players of all-time in 96.....That's saying something right there.

MagicBucsSox
03-04-2009, 01:47 AM
maybe if dwight had kobe and d wade he would have 4 rings to

exactly dont forget penny before the knees

superkegger
03-04-2009, 02:26 AM
In terms of the NBA shaq is like your senile grandpa, he can pretty much say whatever he wants, and people just dismiss it as shaq being shaq. He may be right, he may be wrong, but he's just being Shaq, and he can get away with it for that reason.

I think he realizes his time is quickly slipping away and is just trying to keep the limelight for as long as he can. This isn't the first time he's talked about Dwight like that, and it's kinda petty. But hey, its just shaq being shaq right?

SJSHARKIES
03-04-2009, 02:48 AM
Shaq is cocky, he isn't trying to state the obvious people he is trying to insult Howard in a indirect way. I agree Shaq is the most dominant player of all time, but give Howard Kobe or Wade and lets see what Howard can do.

stawka
03-04-2009, 05:47 AM
What I find funny is the comments thrown around like "Dwight's defense and rebounding make him better then Shaq's younger days."

Are you fukin serious?????

Lets look at some career highs for Shaq's first year compared to Dwight's first 5...

Blocks: Shaq's first year 15 blocks, Dwight 10 (this year)
Rebounds: Shaq's 28 in first year, to Dwight's 26 (this year)

Not to mention, going against Center's called David Robinson, Hakeem Olajuwon, Alonzo Mourning, Dikembe Mutombo and all the Power Forwards like Barkley, Kemp, Rodman etc -- not Center's like (old) Shaq, (soft) Yao and all the other clowns like Eddy Curry, with Power Forward's that don't dare step inside like Dirk/Garnett etc.

While i'm hoping for Dwight to become an absolute BEAST in the game, the only thing that will seperate him from being as good as Shaq, is the lack of killer instinct. From day 1, Shaq entered the league and wanted to kill and dunk on anybody/everybody. He has said it on various occasions that he wanted to kill all the other great Centers, whereas Dwight doesn't have it in him. If he does develop the killer instinct, forget it!

JayW_1023
03-04-2009, 05:50 AM
Dwight is the better weakside defender and rebounder...Shaq is still more polished offensively. Shaq just has lost the explosiveness...while Dwight hasn't.

NJrockPD
03-04-2009, 10:10 AM
Shaq is just getting old and he can't cope with it, so he's taking shots at all the talented young bigs. Next up Al Jefferson, and if Amare got traded a target would have been on his head too. Go out with some class Shaq, don't become a bitter old man.

kjdills13
03-04-2009, 10:18 AM
I believe the yao and howard are both better than shaq, but in a game head to head i would choose shaq over dwight, dwight over yao and yao over shaq

dnl123
03-04-2009, 10:41 AM
Great players let their game do the talking for them, Shaq can't so he has to talk himself up, it's kind of sad, he just needs to learn to shut up

CHief_0_o_Wahoo
03-04-2009, 10:44 AM
Shaq will always be able to do things like this. His rings and his achievements are to great.

PJAF
03-04-2009, 10:52 AM
When all is said and done Shaq will not be even in the shadow of Dwight. this kid will be the best ever.

lakers4sho
03-04-2009, 10:58 AM

If Kwame Brown gain some real go to post moves, he'll be unstoppable and probably a HOF candidate as well.

See the flaw in that argument? You just can't say "if he did this, if he had that", because any player can "do this, have that" and they'll also be a great player.

GCOOKIE7
03-04-2009, 11:20 AM
Shaq is the man

thephoenixson28
03-04-2009, 11:33 AM
I think shaq is saying once he retires then he will hand it over. Its not like he said dwight howard sucked he said he was good, but not great until wins those rings. The comparison is like this is lebron better than jordan you can't really say anything until he wins a ring. So I can understand shaq it just that he uses poor choice of words.

Twistedheat
03-04-2009, 11:45 AM
Kryptonate will still own Superman... haha

JayW_1023
03-04-2009, 11:52 AM
I like Howard alot but his flashy dunks and charismatic persona really overshadow the flaws in his game. He is far from a complete player. His post game is still raw...he has great athleticism and strength...and that allows him to dominate for stretches. But he isn't a smooth offensive player and his post moves often look kind of wooden. Guys like Shaq and Tim Duncan are much more fluent in the pivot and have a wider array of manuevers.

Plus, Howard still isn't good at finding his teammates as opposed to his teammates finding him. He has had just 4 assists in the last 11 games. He needs to learn how to pass out of double teams and know where his teammates shoot best when the D collapses on him.

He has the rebounding and shotblocking down...

But as far as operating in the posts and passing from the block...he should really look at how guys like Pau Gasol ( currently the best passer on the block in the game) Tim Duncan and Yao make decisions once they get double teamed in the post.

That's something very important being a dominant big...impose your will on the block and at the same time open up the floor for your teammates by being that low post threat.

fredv
03-04-2009, 11:53 AM
He is also arguably the GOAT center.

I have to disagree with that!!!

Hakeem >>>>>> Shaq

Even the Cactus says he isn't the GOAT center.

JJ81
03-04-2009, 12:24 PM
Ever heard of student has surpassed the teacher?

Anyway, I think Shaq is still > Dwight at this point. I'd obviously rather have Dwight on my team though.

JJ81
03-04-2009, 12:24 PM
I have to disagree with that!!!

Hakeem >>>>>> Shaq

Even the Cactus says he isn't the GOAT center.

When did he say that?

fairandbalanced
03-04-2009, 01:59 PM
Shaq is hilarious, no doubt. But it seems like he's a better comedian than a player this days. I would be happy if any kid say they want to be like me, I will probably encourage the kid. However that is not the case with Shaq. he continue to diss Howard, a guy who has called him his idol.

Shaq, it is time you stop talking and start rehearsing your retirement ceremony.

"I'm not the type to talk trash," O'Neal said before taking some subtle shots. "I played him [Howard] straight up the whole game, while he doubled ... I'm so far ahead of people that I don't even worry about my stats anymore."

"I'm too old to be trying to outscore 18-year-olds," O'Neal continued, referring to Howard.

http://******.com/src_wiretap_archives/57686/20090304/dwight_wont_enter_wars_of_words_with_shaq/

BigEric
03-04-2009, 02:07 PM
Why does he continue to ramble on like this? I mean Kobe doesn't tell Lebron these things... Dude we know you did good in your career, let it speak for itself. You don't have to be a complete jack*** to prove what you did.

durtee
03-04-2009, 02:10 PM
Shaq is such a d-bag. I guess he's upset that he flopped twice and still couldn't get a win vs the 18 yr old.

madiaz3
03-04-2009, 02:11 PM
Shaq is hilarious, no doubt. But it seems like he's a better comedian than a player this days. I would be happy if any kid say they want to be like me, I will probably encourage the kid. However that is not the case with Shaq. he continue to diss Howard, a guy who has called him his idol.

Shaq, it is time you stop talking and start rehearsing your retirement ceremony.

http://******.com/src_wiretap_archives/57686/20090304/dwight_wont_enter_wars_of_words_with_shaq/

The only thing wrong with this post is that you think he's a better comedian than player. He's been on more than a tear, are you blind? Though he is taking it a little too far.

DrDEADalready
03-04-2009, 02:31 PM
I bet shaq wishes he was the "18 year old kid" again.

the life
03-04-2009, 02:37 PM
It seems to me Shaqís mouth does a lot more talk these days than few years back when he was a dominant force in the game. With the years passing by, and other big men becoming dominant, Shaq fights (talks) to keep his superstar status untouched. It is obvious he cannot walk the walk anymore. The 45 point game against an inept defensively Raptors was an exception rather than the real deal. I read now he is claiming the Superman nick name from Howard. This is ridiculous considering that Howard didnít call himself Superman. Howard played a 5 minutes role that got him the nick name. Shaq proclaimed himself Superman loooong time ago when his play was matching his big mouth but he was never truly known as Superman. Now when his game is fading, his mouth (bigger and bigger) is the only thing left from his past greatness.
Shaq was a big bully all his life picking on people on and off court. Today he is just old and cranky picking on people off court. One day when nobody will care about what he says he will maybe join WWE.

Catfish1314
03-04-2009, 02:39 PM
He needs to shut up and ball but he won't because he's Shaq. He is playing great, great basketball in Phoenix and was plenty worthy for the All-Star nod he's got. He can still walk the walk, but he's not a superstar anymore.

IRUAM #21
03-04-2009, 02:43 PM
Shaq.... just shut up.

DODGERS&LAKERS
03-04-2009, 02:47 PM
I dont understand why Shaq is going after Howard so much. Howard has never had anything bad to say to Shaq. He only says Shaq was his idol. Plus Howard is a likable guy, I think Shaq can get away with attacking Kobe cause no one likes him. But now he is attacking Bosh and Dwight. I dont think he will get the public to side with him on this one

drama1386
03-04-2009, 02:49 PM
shaq being shaq, haha. i still love the guy.

theuuord
03-04-2009, 02:50 PM
It's entertainment...

MoBASS
03-04-2009, 02:54 PM
Coming from a Lakers fan, I actaully appreciate and respect what Shaq is doing on the basketball court these days. He's elevated his game and is giving the young studs about as much as they can handle.

He understands he's in the twilight of his career and will probably never get a chance after next year to play competitive basketball again, so he's giving his all.

I respect him for that.

All the off-court stuff is just Shaq being Shaq.

NYKnickFanatic
03-04-2009, 02:58 PM
Lmao. I love Shaq.

kEviN21
03-04-2009, 02:58 PM
Lol at what he said about bosh

ddaughtry
03-04-2009, 02:59 PM
Shaq does run his mouth a lot, but he is still performing at a high level. As a Laker fan, I am glad to see it. As long as he isn't talking **** about the Lakers anymore, like he did while in Miami, I don't care. I am glad to have had him in his best years of his career.

CHief_0_o_Wahoo
03-04-2009, 02:59 PM
He is a funny guy, how can you not just take this as a "Manny just being Manny" thing. It's just Shaq being Shaq.

LanceUpperCut
03-04-2009, 03:00 PM
It's funny when he attacks Bosh no one cares but now he attacks Howard and every one thinks he's a douch.Shaq is just old and bitter now,to think I use to like him.

JayW_1023
03-04-2009, 03:04 PM
I bet shaq wishes he was the "18 year old kid" again.

Well maybe he still thinks he is...sure acts like it :p

drama1386
03-04-2009, 03:11 PM
he's still one of the best big men in the league today and probably of all time. he's been playing like a beast lately. all of the talking that shaq does is just shaq being shaq. he's been that way his whole career and will never stop. and dwight howard may be called superman now, but the ORIGINAL superman will always be shaq.

RodmansBulls
03-04-2009, 03:14 PM
this is shaq being shaq, he's been doing this his whole career. To me this is entertaning, it helps set up story lines, when the teams, me again. But i'm a little tired of the Lakers vs The Sun's, shaq vs Kobe thing.

ddaughtry
03-04-2009, 03:21 PM
Shaq has no reason to attack Bosh or Howard, but people forget how people have been attacking Shaq until this year. It is what it is. The Bosh comment was hilarious. Bosh probably shouldn't be complaining in the media and giving excuses as to why Shaq put up 45 on them. I don't recall Gasol complaining. He has no reason to attack Howard, but maybe he should try to come up with something original. There will be no more Iceman, Air, Magic, Flash, The King, Mamba, Dr. J., Vinsanity and Shaq may feel the same about Superman.

thephoenixson28
They should just make up a new superhero name for howard like the hulk.

JordansBulls
Not sure why he would say that about Dwight, it's not like Dwight is cocky or anything.

Sidious
03-04-2009, 03:22 PM
thats Shaq

Vinny642
03-04-2009, 03:25 PM
OMG Everyday Shaq is on here... why do you praise him still, he is talking junk because Dwight crapped on him. He is a big complainer too.

BenWin
03-04-2009, 03:29 PM
haha, love how he called dwight an 18 y/o when hes actually 23 and he hates it when people flop in games and tried to pull the same garbage. shaq, you should get the Mike and Mike: "Just Shut-Up Award"

theuuord
03-04-2009, 03:31 PM
Not sure why he would say that about Dwight, it's not like Dwight is cocky or anything.

Nor is he 18.

Like I said, it's all entertainment.

RodmansBulls
03-04-2009, 03:32 PM
OMG Everyday Shaq is on here... why do you praise him still, he is talking junk because Dwight crapped on him. He is a big complainer too.

Crapped on him, hmmmmmm they both played pretty evenly, if you ask me.

bal_ravens
03-04-2009, 03:36 PM
Until someone stops him, he can say whatever he pleases.

Vinny642
03-04-2009, 03:38 PM
Crapped on him, hmmmmmm they both played pretty evenly, if you ask me.

If they played evenly why did Dwight put up more points? And win also. Not saying Shaq did bad but he gotta shut up once and a while.

DODGERS&LAKERS
03-04-2009, 03:44 PM
If they played evenly why did Dwight put up more points? And win also. Not saying Shaq did bad but he gotta shut up once and a while.

He only had 2 more points. But Shaq shot better, and grabbed more rebounds and blocks. They were pretty even though. Dwight just had the better team around him last night.

JabberJaw
03-04-2009, 03:48 PM
It's funny because Dwight was nothing but complimentary of Shaq. Dwight said he was just disappointed that Shaq hasn't tried to help him improve his game, like the other past greats have. He also said that he knew that when people gave him (Dwight) the title of superman that Shaq would take shots at him, but he won't respond out of respect. It's sad that the 23 year old is more mature than the 35 yr old (or whatever Shaq is). He has played pretty well this year, but its clear that the "new superman" is Dwight. Shaq needs to learn how to respect players, like they have respected him his whole career.

Vinny642
03-04-2009, 03:49 PM
He only had 2 more points. But Shaq shot better, and grabbed more rebounds and blocks. They were pretty even though. Dwight just had the better team around him last night.

So your saying Shaq should keep talking? IDK It is getting really annoying.

DODGERS&LAKERS
03-04-2009, 04:11 PM
So your saying Shaq should keep talking? IDK It is getting really annoying.

Oh no, on the first page of this thread I said he was picking a fight he could not win in public opinion. I dont understand why he does not like Dwight. But its pretty obvious he has something against him.

Shaq is very insecure, he did not like it when Penny got a lot of publicity, so he took off, he did not like Kobe getting a lot of credit, so he looked to insult him and label him as selfish, he seemed to get along with Wade okay but could not wait to get out of Miami for some reason. He needs to be the center of attention and if someone is stealing his shine ala Penny, Kobe, Wade/Riley, and now Howard, he feels the need to run his mouth.

I was just saying Shaq probably had a better game last night. At least stat wise. I did not see the game so I cant say for sure.

R. Johnson#3
03-04-2009, 04:19 PM
Can youuuuuuuu dig iiiiiit?

Vinny642
03-04-2009, 04:58 PM
Oh no, on the first page of this thread I said he was picking a fight he could not win in public opinion. I dont understand why he does not like Dwight. But its pretty obvious he has something against him.

Shaq is very insecure, he did not like it when Penny got a lot of publicity, so he took off, he did not like Kobe getting a lot of credit, so he looked to insult him and label him as selfish, he seemed to get along with Wade okay but could not wait to get out of Miami for some reason. He needs to be the center of attention and if someone is stealing his shine ala Penny, Kobe, Wade/Riley, and now Howard, he feels the need to run his mouth.

I was just saying Shaq probably had a better game last night. At least stat wise. I did not see the game so I cant say for sure.

o0o I thought you were saying you agree with shaq over Dwight on this topic

RealistRocket34
03-04-2009, 05:17 PM
I like Howard alot but his flashy dunks and charismatic persona really overshadow the flaws in his game. He is far from a complete player. His post game is still raw...he has great athleticism and strength...and that allows him to dominate for stretches. But he isn't a smooth offensive player and his post moves often look kind of wooden. Guys like Shaq and Tim Duncan are much more fluent in the pivot and have a wider array of manuevers.

Plus, Howard still isn't good at finding his teammates as opposed to his teammates finding him. He has had just 4 assists in the last 11 games. He needs to learn how to pass out of double teams and know where his teammates shoot best when the D collapses on him.

He has the rebounding and shotblocking down...

But as far as operating in the posts and passing from the block...he should really look at how guys like Pau Gasol ( currently the best passer on the block in the game) Tim Duncan and Yao make decisions once they get double teamed in the post.

That's something very important being a dominant big...impose your will on the block and at the same time open up the floor for your teammates by being that low post threat.
So you also believe Yao Ming is currently the better center than Dwight Howard?

Bricklayer
03-04-2009, 05:25 PM
Shaq is starting to come across like a 45 year old soccer mom who is upset that her husband is starting to look at younger women. Mid-life crisis perhaps?

Bricklayer
03-04-2009, 05:28 PM
It's funny because Dwight was nothing but complimentary of Shaq. Dwight said he was just disappointed that Shaq hasn't tried to help him improve his game, like the other past greats have. He also said that he knew that when people gave him (Dwight) the title of superman that Shaq would take shots at him, but he won't respond out of respect. It's sad that the 23 year old is more mature than the 35 yr old (or whatever Shaq is). He has played pretty well this year, but its clear that the "new superman" is Dwight. Shaq needs to learn how to respect players, like they have respected him his whole career.

Well said.

jphxsuns
03-04-2009, 05:37 PM
shaquille oneal has won 4 championships and 3 finals MVP's..

dwight howard has won the dunk contest....

end of discussion

jphxsuns
03-04-2009, 05:42 PM
any when shaq talks about how he hasnt won anything:

shaq started dominating RIGHT when he got into the league and took his team all the way to the nba finals his 3rd or 4th year. Dwight Howard hasnt even won a couple series yet.

JabberJaw
03-04-2009, 06:02 PM
If Kwame Brown gain some real go to post moves, he'll be unstoppable and probably a HOF candidate as well.

See the flaw in that argument? You just can't say "if he did this, if he had that", because any player can "do this, have that" and they'll also be a great player.

Great comparison. Considering he is probably the best defensive big man in the league, top rebounder and is steadily improving on his offensive postgame, I don't see your point here. You trying to compare anything between Kwame Brown and Dwight is just you being ridiculous. Because even if Kwame developed some go to post moves, he would still not be the best rebounder/defender at his position.
I never said "if he did this, if he had that". I guess I should have stated it more clearly, for those who like to "dumb down" a statement, that if Dwight keeps improving on his post moves he will be unstoppable.

Dwight: 20.9 ppg, 2.9 blocks per, 60% fg, 14 rpg, 1.2 apg, 1.0 steals per..
Shaqs career stats: 24.9 ppg, 2.3 blocks per, 58% fg, 11.3 rpg, 2.6 apg, 0.6 steals per..

Do Shaq's numbers dominate in any category? No. Dwight is only getting better. I know it might be tough to swallow, but Dwight is only 23 and is still considered "raw" while putting up some pretty well rounded numbers, as I displayed. Now, in no way was I ripping on Shaq or saying that Dwights careers has even stood up to Shaqs. Yet you took it as if I said something absurd. I'm sorry if I offended you dude, but Shaq needs to give respect where it is deserved.
Dwight could possibly be the next guy. He has a lot of championships to win to measure up to Shaq, but he is definitely on the right track. Remember Shaq didn't win anything until he was 28, and he's always had a superstar sidekick (Penny, Kobe, Wade, Nash). Dwight is 23 and has no superstars...He has some young all-stars, but no Kobe or D.Wade's in his camp. Don't belittle greatness.

RealistRocket34
03-04-2009, 06:04 PM
I love these ifs about Howard getting post moves, the fact that he's in his 5th year and still doesn't have any is mind boggling already.

Yao Ming is the best center in the NBA. I'll make it simple Kobe vs LeBron = Yao vs Dwight

Kobe and Yao have the skill
Dwight and LeBron have all the athletic ability in the world.

Yao and Kobe are the present, Dwight and Bron are the future.

Lakersfan2483
03-04-2009, 06:28 PM
Shaq has always been very insecure and doesn't like anyone getting more attention than him, it's not suprising he is taking verbal "jabs" at Howard, but it is time for him to grow up. He's 37 yrs. old, there is no need for all of this.

Lakersfan2483
03-04-2009, 06:30 PM

Agreed, I have followed O'neal his entire career and it's always been the same pattern for him.

IRUAM #21
03-04-2009, 06:30 PM

Well said.

ink
03-04-2009, 06:33 PM

Shaq likes to bury his competition in verbal dung piles.

theuuord
03-04-2009, 06:36 PM
lol this has nothing to do with Dwight Howard. this is just Shaq saying stuff for the sake of saying stuff.

still1ballin
03-04-2009, 07:58 PM
Shaq is Shaq... keep it going big fella

Hesterrrrr
03-04-2009, 08:27 PM
lol

link (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3953133)

Hesterrrrr
03-04-2009, 08:31 PM
The link was messed up, but I just fixed it.

superkegger
03-04-2009, 08:38 PM
jesus, another shaq thread.

Hesterrrrr
03-04-2009, 08:39 PM
jesus, another shaq thread.

What can we do? He keeps saying stuff.

GunFactor187
03-04-2009, 08:39 PM
Dude, Shaq's becoming the Charles Barkley of this decade. :clap:

mrblisterdundee
03-04-2009, 08:42 PM
Personality carries old people.

Catfish1314
03-04-2009, 08:43 PM
He's just making a fool of himself now.

The Panch
03-04-2009, 08:45 PM
Shaq is awesome.

S.J.Basketball
03-04-2009, 08:50 PM
Lately I don't hate Shaq so much. He's still a douche, but he's a funny douche and that's okay with me.

Twistedheat
03-04-2009, 08:50 PM

Why? I could see that if he just kept talking like before... But Van Gundy called him out... He should respond... Maybe before he should have been quite.. not now

Catfish1314
03-04-2009, 08:56 PM
Why? I could see that if he just kept talking like before... But Van Gundy called him out... He should respond... Maybe before he should have been quite.. not now

I don't think he called him out. He said he flopped. And though Shaq may deny it, it's not hard to watch the play and see a 270-280 pound Dwight Howard spin by and bump Shaq, but not hard enough to so cleanly knock a 315 pounder on his ***. Shaq flopped and when Van Gundy made the observation verbally, Shaq preached about Van Gundy's postseason coaching.

ink
03-04-2009, 09:01 PM

I agree.

Twistedheat
03-04-2009, 09:12 PM
I don't think he called him out. He said he flopped. And though Shaq may deny it, it's not hard to watch the play and see a 270-280 pound Dwight Howard spin by and bump Shaq, but not hard enough to so cleanly knock a 315 pounder on his ***. Shaq flopped and when Van Gundy made the observation verbally, Shaq preached about Van Gundy's postseason coaching.

Yeah I absolutely agree he flopped.... It seems pretty clear. I am just saying that this may be the most warranted opportunity that Shaq had to speak out..
I mean Stan did not just say he flopped.. He also said to stand up and play like a man... That seems a little like a dig to me...

IMO what Shaq said was to nasty for what Van Gundy said but a little something back could have been said not that mouthful that Shaq said lol.

Hesterrrrr
03-04-2009, 09:13 PM
lol...my threads always get moved

durtee
03-04-2009, 09:13 PM
Shaq is so ridiculous. I love how he calls out Van Gundy when he got Van Gundy fired, because he was fat and lazy. I used to love Shaq, but as the years have gone on he has just become so annoying and egotistical. Just imagine how great of a player Shaq would have been if he would have put down the twinkies and hit the gym for half of his career.

Catfish1314
03-04-2009, 09:17 PM
Yeah I absolutely agree he flopped.... It seems pretty clear. I am just saying that this may be the most warranted opportunity that Shaq had to speak out..
I mean Stan did not just say he flopped.. He also said to stand up and play like a man... That seems a little like a dig to me...

IMO what Shaq said was to nasty for what Van Gundy said but a little something back could have been said not that mouthful that Shaq said lol.

I didn't see that part. But yeah, Shaq's comment still isn't justified. At least what Van Gundy said was related to the subject relative to the moment.

pippsux
03-04-2009, 09:24 PM
Shaq needs to retire gracefully and stop embarrassing himself. If he keeps this up non of the teams he ever played for will ever retire his jersey, which would be sad. Leave with grace big fella.

MAC10TIZZY
03-04-2009, 09:33 PM
i personally think all these lashing outs by shaq are his way of saying "hey remember when i could do this and that"...shaq was the man, the nba had never seen anything even close to what he brought..breaking backboards and crushing heads...but the light of all this is his days are numbered, and he is threatened.. calling bosh rupaul was just wrong...but calling out dwight is only gonna make our all star center want to be "that" much better....so instead of getting mad at shaq, i want to personally thank you in advance for aspiring and lighting a fire up under dwights behind....GO MAGIC!!!!!!!

fairandbalanced
03-04-2009, 09:48 PM
The one thing I despise is a frontrunner. First of all, none of his players like him. When it gets tough, he will become the master of panic like he did before and he will quit like he did before. The one thing I despise is frontrunners. Yeah, heís got a young team playing good but donít be a frontrunner. Him and his brother and even the legend on the bench ainít done what Iíve done in my whole career.

http://******.com/src_wiretap_archives/57696/20090304/shaq_pulls_no_punches_on_stan_van_gundy/

Hahahahah. This is reaching an all time high.

ULT WARRIOR408
03-04-2009, 09:52 PM
He might be wright stan van gundy has always walked on to teams with talent.

RealistRocket34
03-04-2009, 09:53 PM
What Shaq said is correct about Howard. I don't really care about the Van Gundy comments though.

You Magic fans are experiencing the same thing us Rocke fans had to go through when Yao Ming came in the league and had the hype just like Howard currently has.

G-Funk
03-04-2009, 09:57 PM
called him a quiter!lol that's what he get's for trying to get into a verbal war with Shaq. I guess he's still bitter that Shaq made him resign.

ARMIN12NBA
03-04-2009, 09:58 PM
Already a thread, but still hilarious.

Durant is hype
03-04-2009, 10:03 PM
Did Van Gundy provoke Shaq by his comments?

RaiderLakersA's
03-04-2009, 10:06 PM
I didn't start this tired and stupid Superman analogy, but seems to me this issue is easily resolved. But first, let me put on my nerdy Mr. Peabody glasses and hitch a ride on the way back machine. There!

Now, someone tell Shaq to pick up a copy of DC Comics Crisis on Infinite Earths #10 or #12. He doesn't have to read it, just look at the cover. What do you know, 2 Supermans! One older, with gray hair (that's you, Shaq) and the other young and in his prime (you gotta rise up, D. Howard!!!). I won't ruin the story by telling you what happened to the gray-haired Supes. Ok, back to the future.

Shaq, this ain't Highlander, there can be more than one Superman. In fact, if you talk to the geniuses behind the old NBA promos, Jordan was technically Superman, with Pippen as Batman and Rodman as, well, Rodman. So you have no claim to that name, either.

Yeah, yeah, yeah, you were the most dominant big man of your era, and you get props for that, but you won't get any respect from me by slamming D-Ho. You're an elder statesman of the game now...act like it!

blacknell
03-04-2009, 10:12 PM
shaq was alot better in his younger days

Giaps
03-04-2009, 10:21 PM
He disses Van Gundy, Howard (again) and Patrick Ewing. I mean come on... there's funny and then there's shut the **** up already.

D-Leethal
03-04-2009, 10:27 PM
For one of the greatest players of all time Shaq has the insecurity issues of a 12 yr old girl

still1ballin
03-04-2009, 10:37 PM
Shaq daddy is on a roll.

LanceUpperCut
03-04-2009, 10:38 PM
Who's next?

thephoenixson28
03-04-2009, 10:48 PM
Its funny cuz everyone is attacking him except dwight howard so the comments he makes is to defend himself. Chris bosh talked stuff,and vand gundy talked stuff so they both deserve it.

Big E
03-04-2009, 10:54 PM
I was on Shaqs side with Bosh but this time he is just being a baby.
He flopped, plain and simple.
either dont complain about flopping or dont flop
you cant do both and not look like a little crying girl.

D-Leethal
03-04-2009, 11:22 PM
SVG didn't talk crap if you listen to it, he was joking around and right before he said he loves Shaq and that Shaq helped him win alot of games while he was in Miami. Shaq can't bare to laugh at himself for a Nocioni type flop and has to diss Stan's career while hes a coach of the year candidate

DieselPowered32
03-04-2009, 11:38 PM
Van Gundy wasn't joking when he called out Shaq and questioned his manhood by saying "stand up and play like a man". Even on ESPN Tim Legler said Van Gundy was out of line with questioning shaq's manhood and taking a shot at Shaq. Shaq admitted that he was trying to take the Charge when he copped an elbow as howard turned into him, he got straight back up and didn't complain, when he didn't get the call.

DieselPowered32
03-04-2009, 11:42 PM
Shaq mentioned EWing in his comments, cos last night they clearly showed wen there was a break in the play after a foul was called,Shaq was talking near the Magic bench with Van Gundy, Ewing was on his feet behind Van Gundy and was mouthing something to Shaq.

greatest2
03-05-2009, 12:22 AM

oshea, dont even listen to this guy. He just likes to talk a bunch of crap that he cant back up. which is why when someone makes a post that actually makes sense, he quotes it and says "nicely put". he cant even debate himself. And he uses the same little childish antics with everything just to attempt to frustrate you (telling me i have no credibility and called me a little boy as well) :rolleyes:. he twist your words and gets off topic and doesnt even wanna get back on once cuz he knows hes been owned. He is by far the most arrogant and unrespected user in this forum.

MagicBucsSox
03-05-2009, 02:26 AM
Stan Van Gundy has made the mistake of engaging Shaquille O'Neal in a game of verbal warfare, as the center lashed back at the Magic coach before Wednesday's game.

Van Gundy said of Shaq's flopping, "ďI was shocked, seriously, shocked. And very disappointed cause he knows what itís like. Lets stand up and play like men, and I think our guy did that tonight.Ē

"He (Howard) came with the same old, stale Patrick Ewing move so I tried to stand there and take the charge," said O'Neal. "The new rules say if you come through, you fall. But as I fell, I realized that it was a flop and it reminded me of Coach Van Gundyís whole coaching career. The one thing I despise is a frontrunner. First of all, none of his players like him. When it gets tough, he will become the master of panic like he did before and he will quit like he did before. The one thing I despise is frontrunners. Yeah, heís got a young team playing good but donít be a frontrunner. Him and his brother and even the legend on the bench ainít done what Iíve done in my whole career. So flopping would be the wrong choice of words. "I just tried to take a charge. The (expletive) rules say you canít stand there and get hit. Youíve got to fall. The (expletive) got the same old stinking move that Patrick Ewing has been doing his whole career. I went down, got up and didnít complain. I see him and Stan complaining the whole game because theyíve got to. Remember, Iíve done more than him, his brother and Patrick Ewing. "Stan Van Gundy reminds me of a broke navigational system. He knows everything about everything but ainít never been nowhere. Think about that. If Iím right here and I type in the address of where youíre going, I know where itís at but Iím not going there. "When a bum says some (stuff) about it and I respond, you can (expletive) cancel that cuz I know how he is in real life. Weíll see when the playoffs start and he (expletive) panics and quits like he did when he was here (in Miami). And you (expletive) print it just like that. Do I look soft to you like you can say something and Iím not going to say something?

"Notice they didnít play me straight up. Weíll see how far they go cuz I know Stan. I said this a long time ago but I was actually talking about him: 'When the general panics, the troops will panic. Like in business, when the head panics and takes out all his stock, what happens?

"All the players hate him. The players donít even like him. I hate frontrunners. I really do. I donít like any frontrunners. Thereís a pecking order involved. Iíve been there six times. "I ainít going to let no bum like him rip me and not say anything back. You can cancel that (expletive) all the way. Usually, I let (expletive) go. Not that. Not him. Hell no. "The rules say when a guy goes through your chest youíve got to fall to get the call. It was a flop. Youíve watched me play for 17 years. I donít play like that."

Via Arizona Republic

Phoenix Suns, Orlando

madiaz3
03-05-2009, 02:28 AM
threads already been made, multiple times

AIMelo=KillaDUO
03-05-2009, 03:08 AM
The Big Aristotle

Spurred1
03-05-2009, 03:13 AM
I think Shaq has trouble knowing when to stop.

lakerboy
03-05-2009, 07:43 AM
MIAMI (AP)—Shaquille O’Neal flopped against Orlando center Dwight Howard. Now he’s standing up to Magic coach Stan Van Gundy.

Responding to Van Gundy’s reaction about O’Neal’s tactics against Howard on Tuesday night, the Phoenix center lashed out at his former coach with the Miami Heat, calling him “a master of panic,” a “nobody” and “a frontrunner.”

“One thing I really despise is a frontrunner,” O’Neal said before the Suns played the Heat, Shaq’s first time back in Miami since last season’s trade. “I know for a fact he’s a master of panic and when it gets time for his team to go into the postseason and do certain things, he will let them down because of his panic. I’ve been there before. I’ve played for him.”

O’Neal was guarding Howard with about 4 minutes left in the third quarter Tuesday night. Howard made a spin move, O’Neal fell to the court in an effort to get an offensive foul called, and the Magic center easily dunked with two hands.

Afterward, Van Gundy said he was “shocked, seriously. I was shocked and very disappointed because he knows what it’s like. You know, let’s stand up and play like men, and I think our guy did that.”

O’Neal, who typically does not talk before Suns games, didn’t hold back when asked for his reaction. He played for Van Gundy in Miami for parts of two seasons and openly complained about coaching decisions in the 2005 Eastern Conference finals, when the Heat lost Game 7 at home to the Detroit Pistons.

“Flopping is playing like that your whole career,” O’Neal said. “I was trying to take a charge, trying to get a call. Yeah, it probably was a flop, but flopping is wrong. Flopping would describe his coaching.”

O’Neal and Van Gundy even had words about it on the sideline in Tuesday’s game, which the Magic won 111-99. O’Neal had 19 points and 11 rebounds.

And Van Gundy brought the fall up in his postgame news conference, without even being asked.

“Note this,” Van Gundy said. “It’s not often that I will needle Shaq, because he’s a big guy and he played for me and helped me win a lot of games. But he always talks about people flopping. Only one big guy tried to flop tonight. He tried to flop. So ask him about that. I told him something on the sideline. I said, ‘C’mon now, all the griping you do about flopping and you’re trying to take a flop.”’

O’Neal said he admitted to Van Gundy in that conversation that it was a flop.

But it was the postgame comments that truly seemed to raise Shaq’s ire.

“I’m not going to sit around and let nobodies take shots at me,” O’Neal said. “He is a nobody to me. If he thinks he can get a little press conference and take shots at me like I’m not take one back, he has another thing coming. … I tried to take a charge. The rules say when a guy comes into your chest and you fall, it’s an offensive foul. That’s all I tried to do. I fell. I didn’t complain.”

Even the Heat found the whole Flop Flap intriguing.

“Hopefully they play Orlando again. I don’t think they do,” Heat guard Dwyane Wade said.

So with that, O’Neal added a new level of intrigue to his long-awaited return to Miami. He was introduced last among Phoenix’s starters, with public address announcer Michael Baiamonte saying, “The Miami Heat welcome back Number 32, Shaquille O’Neal.”

There were a few whistles but mostly applause and cheers from the crowd, which hadn’t seen O’Neal play in Miami since Jan. 21, 2008. He sat out the last five home games of his Heat career before the trade to Phoenix.

O’Neal also took the opportunity for some theater at that point. He went to midcourt to shake hands with Heat owner Micky Arison and his family, plus walked back across the court to the Heat pregame huddle for more handshakes with coach Erik Spoelstra, assistant coach Bob McAdoo and others.

And then he and Wade embraced shortly before tip-off. Thus ended the lovefest: O’Neal’s first basket was a dunk with 10:22 left in the opening quarter, and some fans booed.

O’Neal said before the game, however the crowd received him, it would be out of respect. “I’m not going to go home and drink rat urine,” he said, slightly modifying a phrase he’s used before.

When he was traded to the Suns, O’Neal had a few choice words about having to play with Ricky Davis and Chris Quinn last season in Miami, although he said Wednesday he was only responding to a question and didn’t mean anything to be taken in a derogatory way.

And there was a clear sense that O’Neal simply quit on the Heat last season.

“My grandma always said, you forgive, but you don’t forget,” Wade said. “I live by those words. I forgive a lot of guys. I’m that kind of person. But I don’t forget what he said, either.”

Wade is still friendly with O’Neal, but the two do not speak often. O’Neal’s closest remaining friend on the Heat is Udonis Haslem, whom Shaq sought out for an embrace with 6 1/2 minutes left in the pregame warmup Wednesday. Dorell Wright— another holdover from the Shaq era—joined them a few seconds later, and the trio talked for about a minute.

It’s not likely such an embrace will happen when Phoenix next plays Orlando.

The relationship between Van Gundy and O’Neal has seemed to be tenuous at best for years, and may have just turned downright frosty.

O’Neal came to Miami for the 2004-05 season, helped the Heat win 59 games that season alongside Dwyane Wade and with Van Gundy on the sideline. But that season ended with the loss to the Pistons, a game where Miami wasted a six-point lead over the final 7 minutes and afterward O’Neal said he didn’t get the ball enough.

He also added that night, “I’ll take the blame. I always do.”

Van Gundy resigned 21 games into the next season, Pat Riley took over once again and the Heat won a championship, O’Neal’s fourth title.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AnBZ_3T0DpF1Wr57oXO6Gsa8vLYF?slug=ap-oneal-flopflap&prov=ap&type=lgns

Vinny642
03-05-2009, 07:53 AM
http://www.prosportsdaily.com/forums/showthread.php?t=336818

There is a thread for all Shaq media stuff

D-Leethal
03-05-2009, 09:08 AM
Van Gundy wasn't joking when he called out Shaq and questioned his manhood by saying "stand up and play like a man". Even on ESPN Tim Legler said Van Gundy was out of line with questioning shaq's manhood and taking a shot at Shaq. Shaq admitted that he was trying to take the Charge when he copped an elbow as howard turned into him, he got straight back up and didn't complain, when he didn't get the call.

SVG never once had a serious tone during his conference, and he said 'lets play like men' not to question Shaqs manhood but to infer that Shaq has publicly criticized floppers and the art of flopping than he went out and FLOPPED.........Shaq should take it on the chin and move on instead of being a 12 yr old and having to 'get him back'

torontosports10
03-05-2009, 11:31 AM
Shaq is on a roll

DrDEADalready
03-05-2009, 11:36 AM
Shaq is a character.

Lindystud36
03-05-2009, 11:38 AM
HAHA gotta agree w. the big man

nd4T.O.
03-05-2009, 11:53 AM
haha i love it and he wasnt lying with anything he said

RodmansBulls
03-05-2009, 12:17 PM

Exactly, what i was saying

macc
03-05-2009, 04:17 PM
Came across this on youtube. Pretty funny stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqhUx_2YTN4

EX-TREME
03-05-2009, 05:12 PM
Came across this on youtube. Pretty funny stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqhUx_2YTN4

fail

rrude
03-05-2009, 06:11 PM
Shaq is getting more OJ-like by the day. Fearing for his forties.

JayW_1023
03-06-2009, 10:22 AM
I know Shaq likes to watch WWE...I wouldn't be suprised if he ends up saying the verbal volleying with SVG was all some kind of media gag. Kind of like how he downplayed his fued with Bryant.

Phil Jackson also likes to play mind games by calling people out...but he's more subtle with (admittedly) his uber cool zen master mantra. Too bad Phil Jackson couldn't teach Shaq to critisize with a more clever contructive MO.

J-Relo
03-06-2009, 10:55 AM
that's old news...

RealistRocket34
03-06-2009, 05:42 PM
http://www.click2houston.com/video/18869924/index.html

:clap::clap: for Shaq.

lakerboy
03-06-2009, 05:47 PM
Among all the centers right now, Yao has the best fundamentals.

Also, Yao is one of the most humblest, nicest and modest person in the NBA. Even Shaq won't diss him.

UK Bull
03-06-2009, 05:50 PM
I remember the 1st game between Shaq and Yao. Shaq dissed him a bit then but i cant remember what he said.

JJ81
03-06-2009, 05:53 PM
"Don't play with me," O'Neal said. "Seriously, don't play with me. Like I said earlier, I don't like frontrunners. I think he used the wrong choice of words. Flopping means that, hey, Shaq does that all the time. The rules say, you take it in the middle, you've got to fall back. And that's what I did."

"It was a cheap shot," O'Neal said of Van Gundy's original barb. "They won the game, move on. My thing is, I don't ask for a lot, but I demand my respect, especially from a guy like that.

"It's over now. He said what he had to say, I said what I had to say. Don't play with me."

O'Neal said he and the 7-foot-6 Yao should be the ones complaining about players who flop. O'Neal said smaller players often get the benefit of the doubt from referees when they try to guard them.

"Flopping has become a big concern, but I just take it as a sign of ultimate respect," O'Neal said. "[A player thinks], 'I can't guard you. I'm just going to fall down and cry to the refs.' Most of the time, the ref believes it.

"It's always David and Goliath," O'Neal said. "The little man always gets it. Their thing is, 'You're big and strong, you can take it.' But my point is, a pinch feels the same to me as it feels to you. Like I always try to tell you referees: You guys make the rules up, so a foul is a foul. It doesn't matter if a guy is bigger and stronger."

Yao agreed with O'Neal that referees seem to have a double standard.

"I know for the rest of the players and the rest of the referees, they don't face us every night," Yao said. "We face those rules every night. That makes us feel different."

Link: http://www.nba.com/2009/news/03/06/flop.feud.ap/index.html

UK Bull
03-06-2009, 05:56 PM
Link dosent work here you go:

http://www.nba.com/2009/news/03/06/flop.feud.ap/index.html

Is Shaq gonna knock SVG out lol this is just dragging on to much

JJ81
03-06-2009, 06:03 PM
Link dosent work here you go:

http://www.nba.com/2009/news/03/06/flop.feud.ap/index.html

Is Shaq gonna knock SVG out lol this is just dragging on to much

The link works alright for me.

UK Bull
03-06-2009, 06:04 PM
It's working now it was saying page not found??

Catfish1314
03-06-2009, 06:07 PM
Yeah watch out, Stan. Shaq likes to push people in the back when they aren't looking. He's tough.

GunFactor187
03-06-2009, 06:18 PM
Does anyone remember who Yao was compared to when his scouting report came out in the '02 offseason?

superkegger
03-06-2009, 06:26 PM
Not to discount what Shaq says, but he dissed dwight pretty hardcore only a few days ago, as well as basically the entire magic organization, and I'm supposed to take this as anything other than yet another shot at them? Please.

We know you think yao is the best C in the game RealistRocket34, but really, you don't need to continually try and prove it, we know how you feel.

Mr Wonderful
03-06-2009, 06:27 PM
Huaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaa.
:horse:

-Juice-
03-06-2009, 06:30 PM
'Tis true.

MTone8788
03-06-2009, 06:33 PM
Not to discount what Shaq says, but he dissed dwight pretty hardcore only a few days ago, as well as basically the entire magic organization, and I'm supposed to take this as anything other than yet another shot at them? Please.

We know you think yao is the best C in the game RealistRocket34, but really, you don't need to continually try and prove it, we know how you feel.

So it comes as a surprise to you that Shaq thinks Yao is the best center? Regardless of whether or not BS with the Magic and Howard occured, I think Shaq would still say Yao.

JJ81
03-06-2009, 06:36 PM
I remember the 1st game between Shaq and Yao. Shaq dissed him a bit then but i cant remember what he said.

Is this it? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZjr82PgD7w)

RealistRocket34
03-06-2009, 06:40 PM
Lol, yeah that was the comment. It's not like Shaq still doesn't have any respect for him. Shaq would still say Yao is the best center in the game, regardless of Howard. Howard didn't even fire back. So It's really meaningless.

lakers4sho
03-06-2009, 06:42 PM

Shaq had a lot of respect for Yao ever since he came to the league. One of the few guys to actually pique Shaq's interest.

dandman1021
03-06-2009, 06:48 PM
I stil think dwight howard is the best, but everyone has thier opinion

macc
03-06-2009, 06:54 PM
When the Rockets had that long stretch of wins last year. Didn't they win the majority of those games without Yao? Just sayin......

JordansBulls
03-06-2009, 07:04 PM
http://www.click2houston.com/video/18869924/index.html

:clap::clap: for Shaq.

That's because Dwight uses his "Superman" title.

RealistRocket34
03-06-2009, 07:08 PM
Lol at these lame excuses.

I want to know what's next...Because he's chinese and he doesn't want to sound like a racist? LOL.

pippsux
03-06-2009, 07:29 PM
He is softening Yao up.

Don't fall for it Yao.

superkegger
03-06-2009, 07:40 PM
So it comes as a surprise to you that Shaq thinks Yao is the best center? Regardless of whether or not BS with the Magic and Howard occured, I think Shaq would still say Yao.

He may, and thats fine. I'm just saying, this video was taken yesterday and it's hard for me to take this as anyting but another shot at Dwight by Shaq, considering all the previous few days media banter.

But either way, I don't care. This is one of the many Yao posts by realistrocket34. I think the entire NBA forum is aware of his thoughts that Yao is the best C in the game. I think he needs to just let go of his vendetta to prove that Yao is the best, because continually posting about it, is not going to convicne people of it. Just because you're the loudest doesn't make your right.

Kakaroach
03-06-2009, 09:23 PM
Finally, something intelligent said by the Big Cactus.

dre1990
03-06-2009, 09:31 PM
sorry shaq, it's D12

ntat
03-06-2009, 09:39 PM
Among all the centers right now, Yao has the best fundamentals.

Also, Yao is one of the most humblest, nicest and modest person in the NBA. Even Shaq won't diss him.

How do u know? U speak chinese?

ntat
03-06-2009, 09:40 PM
sorry shaq, it's D12

yep, and its really not all that close. Yao is oft injured, soft, and lacks heart. And sure as hell should play better D and get a ton more boards for being 7 ft 5 and "athletic" for his size.

Mckphins
03-06-2009, 09:41 PM
Anyone else tired of realist rocket starting all these threads to tell us how great yao is?

ntat
03-06-2009, 09:42 PM
He is softening Yao up.

Don't fall for it Yao.

if Yao got any softer, he'd be pudding.

lakerboy
03-06-2009, 09:45 PM
How do u know? U speak chinese?

Yes. I do. Mandarin and Fujianese.

GSW fan
03-06-2009, 09:55 PM
wow. when i saw the title i knew you posted this.
get off his nuts

albertc86
03-06-2009, 09:57 PM
I doubt Shaq wants to see Dwight succeed. For obvious reasons. However, I do think Yao is the best center in the league. He's just unstoppable when he's aggressive.

wwwhat
03-06-2009, 10:13 PM
Dwight > *

RealistRocket34
03-06-2009, 10:47 PM
Finally, something intelligent said by the Big Cactus.
This :clap:

EX-TREME
03-06-2009, 10:47 PM
Yeah watch out, Stan. Shaq likes to push people in the back when they aren't looking. He's tough.

that why i don't like him

still1ballin
03-06-2009, 10:56 PM
And the saga continues.....

LanceUpperCut
03-06-2009, 11:02 PM
Shaq is the Starr Jones of basketball.

jetsfan28
03-06-2009, 11:03 PM
Shaq is completely correct, it was an unnecessary cheap shot and poor choice of words, but he should let it go.

ggg
03-06-2009, 11:10 PM
of course yao is. he is unguardable with his fade away jumper/hookshot and attracts the most double team. howard's a great player but he doesnt have a dominating presence offensively. defensively he is though, no doubt about it.

MilfHunter07
03-06-2009, 11:11 PM
shaq, shutup, you are a bigger front runner than him. my god just go away already

dre1990
03-06-2009, 11:13 PM
Shaq would say alot of **** if he won

Master Mind
03-06-2009, 11:36 PM
Shaq is just being a bitter douche, he knows Dwight is the man now...

jetsfan28
03-07-2009, 01:24 AM
Shaq is just being a bitter douche, he knows Dwight is the man now...

What are you talking about? No where in this has he insulted Dwight Howard, this has nothing to do with him. This has to do with Stan Van Gundy, a coach, making a comment that was completely out of line, leading to an escalating war of words, it has nothing to do with the ability of Dwight Howard.

ink
03-07-2009, 01:29 AM
What are you talking about? No where in this has he insulted Dwight Howard, this has nothing to do with him. This has to do with Stan Van Gundy, a coach, making a comment that was completely out of line, leading to an escalating war of words, it has nothing to do with the ability of Dwight Howard.

Shaq's compliment to Yao as the best big man in the NBA is a pretty transparent shot at DHoward.

JayW_1023
03-07-2009, 10:23 AM
Excerpt from Yahoo sports:

“There’s no winning this war for [Van Gundy] with Shaq,” the coaching source said Wednesday night. “For the people covering Shaq, this is him being funny. Stan can’t win this one.”

Sounds like something Phil Jackson would say.

vuile
04-02-2009, 03:48 AM
Excerpt from Yahoo sports:

ďThereís no winning this war for [Van Gundy] with Shaq,Ē the coaching source said Wednesday night. ďFor the people covering Shaq, this is him being funny. Stan canít win this one.Ē

Sounds like something Phil Jackson would say.

LOL! so true huh? http://www.photopile.info/img/c/8.gif