PDA

View Full Version : Carmelo Refused to come off the floor!

dre1990
03-03-2009, 10:09 PM
AUBURN HILLS, Mich. (AP) -- George Karl says Carmelo Anthony crossed a professional line, leading to the Denver Nuggets suspending their star for a game.

Karl said Tuesday night he hadn't seen a player refuse to come out of a game in his two-plus decades as a coach until Anthony did Sunday against the Indiana Pacers.

Anthony wasn't with the Nuggets when they played on the road against the Detroit Pistons, but the Olympian and All-Star was expected to fly home with the team after the game.

Denver's next game is Thursday night at home against the Portland Trail Blazers.

Anthony was also suspended by the Nuggets for the first two games of the season as punishment for his drunken driving arrest last spring while they were pushing for a playoff berth.

http://www.nba.com/2009/news/03/03/nuggets.anthony.ap/index.html

superkegger
03-03-2009, 10:13 PM
Yeah. Kinda out of character from the Melo we've seen this year.

S.J.Basketball
03-03-2009, 10:14 PM
He also wouldn't stop speeding when the cop initially tried to pull him over. Maybe he was drunk-balling?

greatest2
03-03-2009, 10:14 PM
who cares, melo is a beast and karl is a joke. I back up Melo

Kakaroach
03-03-2009, 10:15 PM
Typical Melo. What can you do if your George Karl?

S.J.Basketball
03-03-2009, 10:16 PM
who cares, melo is a beast and karl is a joke. I back up Melo

OMG dood totally....players should say **** YOU GEORGE KARL and run the game themselves. I was being sarcastic at first, but actually..that would be ****ing awesome.

McPeak92
03-03-2009, 10:20 PM
thats pretty funny. is there a video.

unwantedplayer
03-03-2009, 10:23 PM
Typical Melo. He always gets suspended for a stupid reason atleast once or twice a year.

The Panch
03-03-2009, 10:23 PM
I remember seeing this the other night when they played the Pacers, I thought there was something funny going on between them two.

Wilson
03-03-2009, 10:27 PM
OMG dood totally....players should say **** YOU GEORGE KARL and run the game themselves. I was being sarcastic at first, but actually..that would be ****ing awesome.

:laugh2:

jrodmesche
03-03-2009, 10:29 PM
nuggets are dumb suspending melo might cost the the game

dre1990
03-03-2009, 10:45 PM

Why? So he can just do it again

still1ballin
03-03-2009, 10:55 PM
Listen to your coach next time.

lorenz00
03-03-2009, 11:41 PM
o my this guy has a big ego

lorenz00
03-03-2009, 11:42 PM

and it did cost there game hahah

IversonIsKrazy
03-04-2009, 01:10 AM
looks like AI left his influence on melo :P lol, not wanting to come off the floor, does that sound like sum1?

oshea225
03-04-2009, 01:15 AM
why punish him? hell, i'd reward for being that passionate. i get that its wrong to disobey your coach, but i think melo has earned the right to do something like this every now and then. if it were a regular thing, thats a different story.

RealistRocket34
03-04-2009, 01:16 AM
I could easily see him leaving Denver very soon. Not saying he will, I could just see it now.

I feel bad for Melo, he was going to be the scoring champion if Andre Miller remained a Nugget. However, Allen Iverson The Canswer destroyed everything in Denver.

I feel bad for Melo that Allen Iverson had to stunt his development.

DenButsu
03-04-2009, 02:30 AM
As I posted in the Nuggets forum, Melo was in the wrong here and there's no way this can be pinned on Karl. There are ways of properly taking a grievance to a coach and publicly defying him during gametime isn't one of them. His actions merited a response from the front office, although I do believe a full game suspension was too heavy handed (a fine and/or being made to come off the bench would have sufficed).

But that said...

Typical Melo. What can you do if your George Karl?

He also wouldn't stop speeding when the cop initially tried to pull him over. Maybe he was drunk-balling?

Typical Melo. He always gets suspended for a stupid reason atleast once or twice a year.

o my this guy has a big ego

All of these posts are completely wrong, totally off base, and really, just plain unfair. To compare this with his drunk driving is just insane. And even to just lazily stereotype him (as so many who know so little about Melo tend to do all too often) as the "type" of player who would "typically" do something "like this" is just way off the mark. For one thing, the stereotype is just wrong.

But more importantly, while it's true that he was wrong to refuse Karl's order to leave the court, the reason he refused it, his motivation, was right on the money: He wanted to stay in the game because he wanted to compete and he wanted to help his team win. People tend to form simplistic two-dimensional caricatures of NBA players such as Melo, which they inanely employ in times like this so they can just write him off by saying, "Well of course he did, he's just a thug." Which is completely wrong and depends on ignoring about 98% of what's really going on most of the time with Melo. But I guess that's easier than making the effort to actually get it right.

superkegger
03-04-2009, 02:35 AM
Oh if only all NBA poster could be as sensible as Den. :sigh:

Nice post Den, and I couldn't agree more.

Tblaze
03-04-2009, 05:57 AM
Works for mee :P I don't mind not seeing him play thursday :D

EX-TREME
03-04-2009, 06:41 AM
As I posted in the Nuggets forum, Melo was in the wrong here and there's no way this can be pinned on Karl. There are ways of properly taking a grievance to a coach and publicly defying him during gametime isn't one of them. His actions merited a response from the front office, although I do believe a full game suspension was too heavy handed (a fine and/or being made to come off the bench would have sufficed).

But that said...

All of these posts are completely wrong, totally off base, and really, just plain unfair. To compare this with his drunk driving is just insane. And even to just lazily stereotype him (as so many who know so little about Melo tend to do all too often) as the "type" of player who would "typically" do something "like this" is just way off the mark. For one thing, the stereotype is just wrong.

But more importantly, while it's true that he was wrong to refuse Karl's order to leave the court, the reason he refused it, his motivation, was right on the money: He wanted to stay in the game because he wanted to compete and he wanted to help his team win. People tend to form simplistic two-dimensional caricatures of NBA players such as Melo, which they inanely employ in times like this so they can just write him off by saying, "Well of course he did, he's just a thug." Which is completely wrong and depends on ignoring about 98% of what's really going on most of the time with Melo. But I guess that's easier than making the effort to actually get it right.

:clap: great post

adamsison
03-04-2009, 06:53 AM

sure did....so stupid suspending melo. cost us the game against detroit. now we are only 1 game ahead of utah and portland. and dropped from 3 to 4 in the west.

Pippen did a similar thing. did not get suspended.
Lebron did the same. did not get suspended.

Sure he disobeyed his coach, but hes our superstar and wanted to win the game. he should be diciplined but not that severely.
Melo is often hated because they say he does not care....or show enough passion for the game (even GK said that melo commitment often lacks). this shows how much he wants to win. So when he does decide to Speak out and show how much he wants to win. Front office and GK suspend him??

Nuggets FO are stupid! this loss could cost us come the end of the season if you look how close the playoff race is!

P.S good post Denbatsu

Knowledge
03-04-2009, 07:04 AM
Even though it was wrong, I dont think you suspend him. H e was trying to win. I am certain that other great players have done something like this in the past, but because its him it looks bad. I have no doubt Bird, Magic, and Jordan (not comparing Melo to them) all had times when they were suppose to come off the floor and didnt.

As far as the people calling Mello "typical", just remember how so many refused/rejected/had an excuse for not playing for the Olympic team, he was out their practicing and playing to win a gold for this country. That is what it is all about.

cvburg
03-04-2009, 09:00 AM
i feel there coulda been worse things done by him, this to me is a product of competivness....i mean he coulda done a marbury and refused to go in....i do believe he should listen to his coach but i think a half suspension or not starting is the way to send a message

hotdogbun
03-04-2009, 09:14 AM
why the ****ing hell woiuld george karl want to sit out melo? so he can put in kleiza? lol as if theyre gonna improve with kleiza on the floor

Faneik
03-04-2009, 10:01 AM

:yawn: at the Melo propaganda...

Nice try, selling the "why he refused to leave". His motivation?:no:

His huge ego motivated him.

Same situation/different player: I remember this from last season, when Chris Paul was wired. It was something like this:

- Byron Scott calls Chris Paul to the bench
- CP3 starts walking towards the bench, shaking his head, saying: "Please let me stay! Please let me stay!"
- Byron replied: "No, you need your rest"
- CP3 sat quietly

My point: CP3 questioned his coach decision, but he was begging the coach to let him stay, Byron's authority was never in case.

Melo, the way he did it, questioned Karl's authority.

You think the suspension was over the top?

Well, Melo isn't exactly a 1st timer in behaviour issues...Maybe that's the explanation...

hotdogbun
03-04-2009, 10:11 AM
stop hatin on melo. start hatin on karl. scott has a good reason why he sat cp3 cuz cp3 needs some rest but melo doesnt the only reason why he wants to sit melo so he can put in his favorite kleiza or other crappy player

Faneik
03-04-2009, 10:16 AM
stop hatin on melo. start hatin on karl. scott has a good reason why he sat cp3 cuz cp3 needs some rest but melo doesnt the only reason why he wants to sit melo so he can put in his favorite kleiza or other crappy player

yeah...Karl must have Kleiza in his fantasy team...:rolleyes:

DenButsu
03-04-2009, 10:22 AM
Yeah, whatever Faneik, I knew you were stepping in here to represent the Melo haters (as usual) the moment I saw your name.

And you yawn at me. :eyebrow:

My take on the situation was not uncritical of Melo. The first thing I said, in fact, was that he was wrong (you conveniently left out the opening of my post, to try to set it up as a straw man and zoom in for some easy meat). You, on the other hand, never have one objective, balanced remark about the dude. It all boils down to the hate, and that's the real yawner, since you'll never have anything new to say about him - so why bother reading anything you have to say about him? It'll always be pure, unconditional bashing, every single time.

Faneik
03-04-2009, 10:43 AM
Yeah, whatever Faneik, I knew you were stepping in here to represent the Melo haters (as usual) the moment I saw your name.

And you yawn at me. :eyebrow:

My take on the situation was not uncritical of Melo. The first thing I said, in fact, was that he was wrong (you conveniently left out the opening of my post, to try to set it up as a straw man and zoom in for some easy meat). You, on the other hand, never have one objective, balanced remark about the dude. It all boils down to the hate, and that's the real yawner, since you'll never have anything new to say about him - so why bother reading anything you have to say about him? It'll always be pure, unconditional bashing, every single time.

1st, this time I didn't come in to bash Melo. I did it to question your post, the reason you gave for Melo not leaving the court. Imo, it wasn't his motivation, it was his ego.

I see that in your opinion I always bring the hate, and that it blinds my objectivity.

Well, the way I see it, you're blind too. By Melo/Nuggets propaganda. Lol, his "motivation"? Again, nice try...

EDIT:

"since you'll never have anything new to say about him"

Well, in my defense, I did come up with a possible explanation why some posters, including you, think the suspension was over the top...

CHief_0_o_Wahoo
03-04-2009, 10:46 AM
The Nuggets did what they had to do with this, Melo brought it on himself.

hotdogbun
03-04-2009, 11:09 AM
no george karl brought it! why in the hell would he bench melo at that time?

Lindystud36
03-04-2009, 11:28 AM
Whats pathetic is the fact they suspended him, i am sure that coaches and players go at it all the time, i know fromthe highschool and college level. For the coach to suspend him shows weakness in the coach and the coach not being man eough to talk to the player.

The Ooh Child
03-04-2009, 11:40 AM

But that said...

Come on dude, that drunk balling thing was hilarious. But I do like your point of view. This type of intensity is a good quality to have in a ball player, but he should have convinced Karl to keep him in the game, not refuse to leave the floor. Melo's composure has been very good this season, but this episode does show that he still has some maturing to do. I'm also sure George Karl's ego exacerbated the situation.

kingkobe
03-04-2009, 11:51 AM

But that said...

Is this Melo?...Nah..he can't think this much.

Catfish1314
03-04-2009, 12:02 PM
If Michael Ruffin refused to come off the floor, problem. When Melo refuses to come off the floor, I think it's great. Even if his ego had something to do with it, you want to see your star hungry and wanting to stay on the court.

Yes, it's not the best idea to refuse your coach and especially right out in front of everyone, but if it's for competitive reasons and in Melo's case, I like it.

JJ81
03-04-2009, 12:23 PM
Scum... sub-human scum.

cwilson21
03-04-2009, 12:33 PM
Another reason I don't care for Melo.

RodmansBulls
03-04-2009, 01:10 PM
Come on Melo your better than that.

LTS
03-04-2009, 02:06 PM
Melo will never live up to his potential to immature

IndyRealist
03-04-2009, 04:56 PM
Whats pathetic is the fact they suspended him, i am sure that coaches and players go at it all the time, i know fromthe highschool and college level. For the coach to suspend him shows weakness in the coach and the coach not being man eough to talk to the player.

Egos are vastly different on the NBA level. Players make more than coaches do. Players get endorsement deals, ESPN interviews, highlight reels, etc. that college players do not. Their egos are out of control. That's why legendary collegiate coaches like Rick Pitino don't cut it in the NBA, it's a completely different animal.

Regardless of motivation, this showed two things.
1) That the front office backs Karl over the players, even if it cost them a game. Think Melo will cross GK again this year, knowing that the front office is willing to sit him?
2) That no matter how passionate or ego driven Melo is (depending on your view of it), if he doesn't get with the program then they can and will take away the one thing he really wanted, court time. It doesn't hurt that it hit him in the pocketbook, as well.

Missing56&33
03-04-2009, 06:16 PM
GC has a lot of big egos on that team.

DenButsu
03-05-2009, 03:54 AM
1st, this time I didn't come in to bash Melo. I did it to question your post, the reason you gave for Melo not leaving the court. Imo, it wasn't his motivation, it was his ego.

I see that in your opinion I always bring the hate, and that it blinds my objectivity.

Well, the way I see it, you're blind too. By Melo/Nuggets propaganda. Lol, his "motivation"? Again, nice try...

EDIT:

Well, in my defense, I did come up with a possible explanation why some posters, including you, think the suspension was over the top...

So are you saying he wanted to stay in the game because he didn't want to play, because he didn't want to compete? Yeah, that makes a lot more sense than my "propaganda"... :rolleyes:

Come on dude, that drunk balling thing was hilarious. But I do like your point of view. This type of intensity is a good quality to have in a ball player, but he should have convinced Karl to keep him in the game, not refuse to leave the floor. Melo's composure has been very good this season, but this episode does show that he still has some maturing to do. I'm also sure George Karl's ego exacerbated the situation.

Maybe so, but when people start piling on like that, just automatically jumping to the worst possible conclusion because of his reputation, it's my solemn obligation as a Nuggets fan to check that. :cool:

theimortalone
03-05-2009, 10:50 AM
http://www.nba.com/2009/news/03/03/nuggets.anthony.ap/index.html

Wow Melo! Maybe next time you will listen to your coach? :shrug: What is with NBA players now a days? :pity:

hotdogbun
03-05-2009, 11:13 AM
If Michael Ruffin refused to come off the floor, problem. When Melo refuses to come off the floor, I think it's great. Even if his ego had something to do with it, you want to see your star hungry and wanting to stay on the court.

Yes, it's not the best idea to refuse your coach and especially right out in front of everyone, but if it's for competitive reasons and in Melo's case, I like it.

100% AGREE! thats what im trying to say. why would you want to take off melo if he wants to win and taking him off will just decrease your chances of winning

Faneik
03-05-2009, 04:13 PM
So are you saying he wanted to stay in the game because he didn't want to play, because he didn't want to compete? Yeah, that makes a lot more sense than my "propaganda"... :rolleyes:

Don't twist what I posted, and make me sound dumb, you're better than that.

It's obvious Melo wanted to play, but it wasn't his "motivation" that made him challenge his coach.

Melo has ego issues, he doesn't see the big picture, the team...

He didn't stop to think the consequences of his actions would affect the all group. Or if he did, he didn't care, and that would be even worse.

Just because you tried to play me as a dumbass --> Here:
http://www.prosportsdaily.com/forums/showthread.php?t=337013

Go preach some Melo propaganda there. Melo needs some votes.:D

DenButsu
03-05-2009, 10:25 PM
Let's connect the dots.

A. Karl wanted to sub in LK for Melo, and asked Melo to sit (why I have no idea)

B. Melo wanted to play, because his shot had just started falling, and he wanted to keep with it to help his team win

C. Melo kept playing, defying Karl's order.

I really don't see how my saying, "the reason he refused it, his motivation, was right on the money: He wanted to stay in the game because he wanted to compete and he wanted to help his team win" doesn't make sense.

And I really don't see how me pointing out that your counter argument (that his motivation for staying in the game and refusing Karl's order was ... well, something OTHER THAN him wanting to compete and stay in the game and help his team win) doesn't make sense to me is trying to make you look stupid.

And enough with the "Melo propaganda" bull**** already. I'm critical of Melo when it's warranted. But I'll defend him when other posters are going after him with unwarranted criticism. Which is pretty much all you've got in your hater toolbox, so I'm finished with you.

Kohaku
03-06-2009, 02:32 AM
Guys should check out his sprint today when he was told to sit.

baller1532
03-06-2009, 02:35 AM
karl thinks it is his team. HAHA! melo finally found his touch and figured that mabe he could get them back in the game. melo even manned up to it in tonight's game

hotdogbun
03-06-2009, 03:42 AM
Guys should check out his sprint today when he was told to sit.

i wanna see that. any1 has a vid?

DenButsu
03-06-2009, 04:37 AM
Here it is. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJVhQDovDsE)

Anthony said next time his coach asked him to leave a game, he would run to the bench, and sure enough, with 10:55 left in the fourth — and Denver up 13 — Anthony scurried to the bench, much to the delight of his laughing teammates.

"I thought it was funny," Karl said.Denver Post (http://www.denverpost.com/nuggets/ci_11849544?source=rss)

hotdogbun
03-06-2009, 04:53 AM
wheres the vid?

Game_Over
03-06-2009, 05:21 AM
I was at the game and saw it!!

Game_Over
03-06-2009, 05:22 AM
Plus Melo gets 38 off of the suspension maybe he got some good rest!!

DenButsu
03-06-2009, 05:26 AM
wheres the vid?

Click "here it is" in the post above yours.

hotdogbun
03-06-2009, 05:46 AM
still cant see the vid. lol

Game_Over
03-06-2009, 05:54 AM
still cant see the vid. lol

are ya blind?? lol here
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJVhQDovDsE

hotdogbun
03-06-2009, 06:37 AM
i see it now. melo should have smacked karl in the face

Faneik
03-06-2009, 06:52 AM
Let's connect the dots.

A. Karl wanted to sub in LK for Melo, and asked Melo to sit (why I have no idea)

B. Melo wanted to play, because his shot had just started falling, and he wanted to keep with it to help his team win

C. Melo kept playing, defying Karl's order.

I really don't see how my saying, "the reason he refused it, his motivation, was right on the money: He wanted to stay in the game because he wanted to compete and he wanted to help his team win" doesn't make sense.

And I really don't see how me pointing out that your counter argument (that his motivation for staying in the game and refusing Karl's order was ... well, something OTHER THAN him wanting to compete and stay in the game and help his team win) doesn't make sense to me is trying to make you look stupid.

And enough with the "Melo propaganda" bull**** already. I'm critical of Melo when it's warranted. But I'll defend him when other posters are going after him with unwarranted criticism. Which is pretty much all you've got in your hater toolbox, so I'm finished with you.

Ýeah, yeah...

I've been pretty clear in my posts, that I agree that Melo was "motivated" to stay in the court. I never questioned that.

I don't agree with you when you pointed "motivation" as the reason why he challenged his coach. Sure he was motivated, but he challenged his coach because of his huge ego and lack of professionalism.

Melo challenged his coach authority, a player should never do that especially during a televised game. He should have respected Karl's decision, even if he didn't agree with it. And if Melo had anything to say he should have said it in the locker room.

Enough with the excuses, he did it because he was "motivated"...lol

Some may buy it, but I won't.

DenButsu
03-06-2009, 08:34 AM
Sure he was motivated, but he challenged his coach because of his huge ego and lack of professionalism.

The ONLY basis you have for jumping to that conclusion (the worst possible conclusion) is that you hate Melo and are ready to assume the worst - and only the worst - regarding any action he takes.

Meanwhile, I'm sure you probably didn't even watch the game, and I'm even more sure that you have absolutely no idea of the context of the situation, and why the facts are on my side. So let me save myself some time by providing you with a good analysis of the situation written up at RBM (http://www.roundballminingcompany.com/2009/03/03/why-was-carmelo-anthony-suspended/):

...If reports that the “incident” occurred in the third quarter the likely point in time everything went down was with 1:13 left in the quarter. Kleiza had walked to the scorer’s table waiting to check in. Chauncey Billups made a three to push the Nuggets lead up to seven and Jim O’Brien called a timeout.

...{T}he only oddity that was noticeable was that Kleiza came in for Martin to play power forward against a big opposing front line. There was no consternation or signs of disagreement with anyone, but to me there are some questions that need to be answered. Why did Melo not want to leave the game? Why could he and Karl work it out? How did they come to the decision that Martin would be the one to come out of the game?

As far as Melo’s reasoning for not wanting to come out of the game I think it was primarily because he finally starting making some shots. In the first quarter Melo started off ice cold missing his first three shots. With 2:18 left in the first quarter he drove the baseline and was fouled. He made both free throws to score his first two points and then the next trip down the floor he received the ball on the right block, got a pick from Kenyon dribbled twice to his left, rose up and hit a 14 foot jumper. It looked like he might have been hitting a groove and then Karl took him out of the game.

Fast forward to the third quarter and Kleiza got off the bench to enter the game at the 2:20 mark when the game was tied at 62. Melo had just missed a contested 13 foot jumper (another one in a long line of contested jumpers he attempted that night). However, between the time Karl called Kleiza’s name and there was a dead ball Melo hit a (contested) 17 foot jumper in transition and he made a (contested) 22 footer. It was the first time Melo made two consecutive jumpers since the Atlanta game (and that is being generous as those two jumpers were separated by a little break called halftime). Melo had basically played eight straight quarters without making consecutive jumpers. I doubt that he realized that fact, but you better believe he knew he had not been shooting well and may have felt like he was finally heating up.

Now take into account that he plays the entire third quarter about one third of the time (fact), he had done so for three straight games (fact), he had finally hit consecutive jumpers (fact) and that he may have felt like he was removed from the game in the first quarter when he was starting to heat up (speculation) and I can see why Melo would have wanted to stay in the game.

What's more, as bad of a shooting slump as Melo had been in prior to that game, Linas Kleiza had been playing like absolute garbage. The decision by Karl to sub in LK (or more specifically, not to reverse his own intent to sub in LK after seeing how Melo had just started to get his shooting groove on), was truly a terrible one. And Melo was poised to make big strides towards winning that game if his shot was going to start falling.

He wanted to stay in and play so he could compete and, ultimately, so he could help the team win. I think it's p[retty ****ing obvious to anybody who doesn't wear those hater goggles you have on.

Anyhow, in case you missed it, this one's for you:

Faneik
03-06-2009, 08:45 AM
The ONLY basis you have for jumping to that conclusion (the worst possible conclusion) is that you hate Melo and are ready to assume the worst - and only the worst - regarding any action he takes.

Meanwhile, I'm sure you probably didn't even watch the game, and I'm even more sure that you have absolutely no idea of the context of the situation, and why the facts are on my side. So let me save myself some time by providing you with a good analysis of the situation written up at RBM (http://www.roundballminingcompany.com/2009/03/03/why-was-carmelo-anthony-suspended/):

What's more, as bad of a shooting slump as Melo had been in prior to that game, Linas Kleiza had been playing like absolute garbage. The decision by Karl to sub in LK (or more specifically, not to reverse his own intent to sub in LK after seeing how Melo had just started to get his shooting groove on), was truly a terrible one. And Melo was poised to make big strides towards winning that game if his shot was going to start falling.

He wanted to stay in and play so he could compete and, ultimately, so he could help the team win. I think it's p[retty ****ing obvious to anybody who doesn't wear those hater goggles you have on.

Anyhow, in case you missed it, this one's for you:

Your point?

Pfff... What Melo making fun of the all thing? Another showcase of an huge ego and lack of maturity.

Btw, I may be a hater, but you're definitely riding Melo's love bandwagon.

DenButsu
03-06-2009, 09:07 AM
[/B]

Your point?

Pfff... What Melo making fun of the all thing? Another showcase of an huge ego and lack of maturity.

Well, Karl said it was funny, so I suppose he's immature, too. But no point to the clip, except maybe that it's really not that big a deal anyhow, and it's all water under the bridge.

Btw, I may be a hater

No "may be" about it.

but you're definitely riding Melo's love bandwagon.

The opening paragraph of my first post in this thread (the part you conveniently "forgot" to include when you quoted me):

And here's my first reaction to this whole thing that I posted in the Nuggets forum:

Way to go, Melo. :pity:

It definitely was a bad move by Melo. I don't care how much someone hates George Karl (and FWIW I don't think Melo does, but obviously a lot of fans will support Melo in this because they do), the bottom line is just simply that if you're a player in the NBA (or any other sport for that matter), you don't go over your coach's head no matter how much you disagree with him, and you especially don't openly defy him in the middle of a game. It's just uprofessional and immature. If you have a problem with a specific incident, or an ongoing problem with something you disagree with, there are ways to handle it (like maybe have your agent request a meeting with the FO and coaching staff) and there are appropriate times and places to handle it (like not during gametime and not in the public eye, but behind the scenes in the privacy of the Pepsi Center offices). Now, I'm not sure if the penalty is proportional to the transgression here. I'm inclined to think a fine would have sufficed. But what Melo did certainly did warrant some type of consequence being handed down by the FO. He was clearly in the wrong here.

Yeah, man. I'm just all over his sack. :eyebrow:

In this little discussion between you and me, Faneik, there is only one of us who is just totally incapable of looking at this situation objectively. (I'll give you a hint who it is: It isn't me).

Faneik
03-06-2009, 09:29 AM
So you posted the "...It's just unprofessional and immature..." stuff about the Melo's incident in the Nuggets forum, and in the NBA forum your argument was: "Melo challenged Karl because he was very "motivated" to compete?...

lol...it almost seems a PR move the way you talked about the incident in the nba forum.

Kakaroach
03-06-2009, 09:36 AM
If Melo was just getting hot, then I don't understand why Karl would take him out of the game, but you still have to come out when your coach tells you...

adamsison
03-06-2009, 09:55 AM
He should of come out.....

But didnt deserve a suspension which caused a loss. lucky we won tonight, or else we would of lost 1st in the northwest.

only deserved a fine at most. we would of beat detroit and been two games above portland!

Faneik
03-06-2009, 10:01 AM
He should of come out.....

But didnt deserve a suspension which caused a loss. lucky we won tonight, or else we would of lost 1st in the northwest.

only deserved a fine at most. we would of beat detroit and been two games above portland!

melo wasn't a 1st timer in behaviour issues.

DenButsu
03-06-2009, 10:25 AM
So you posted the "...It's just unprofessional and immature..." stuff about the Melo's incident in the Nuggets forum, and in the NBA forum your argument was: "Melo challenged Karl because he was very "motivated" to compete?...

lol...it almost seems a PR move the way you talked about the incident in the nba forum.

Now you're just being deliberately obtuse and trying to get under my skin by misrepresenting what I said (by once again failing to acknowledge that the first thing I said IN THIS FORUM was critical of Melo, something I just reposted in the very post you just responded to).

Your whole lame hater shtick is one big epic fail, man.

Faneik
03-06-2009, 10:52 AM
Now you're just being deliberately obtuse and trying to get under my skin by misrepresenting what I said (by once again failing to acknowledge that the first thing I said IN THIS FORUM was critical of Melo, something I just reposted in the very post you just responded to).

Your whole lame hater shtick is one big epic fail, man.

No, the way you defended Melo in this thread is an epic fail.

I agree with what you posted about it in the Nuggets forum, but in this thread your main argument was: "Melo did it, he was wrong, but it was because he was so "motivated", and that's a good thing..."

That I don't buy. The NBA is full of "motivated" players that want court time and they don't go on questioning their coaches.

You're like the coins, you have two faces.

In the Nuggets forum, you were frustrated by Melo's actions.
In here, you said he was wrong, but then tried to minimize the incident by selling the "he did it because he was so motivated".

For the last time, Melo questioned his coach not because he was very motivated to stay in (and indeed he was), but because he's a bad professional who thinks he's above the coach.

He got suspended, what did he do in the next game he played? He made fun of the situation...

Melo has to mature a lot. A lot.

hotdogbun
03-06-2009, 01:46 PM
MELO IS ABOVE GEORGE KARL. melo questioned his coach cuz its a questionable call duh?!? and he stayed in cuz his motivated not cuz his a bad professional. stupid

just stop hating melo, and stop kissing george karl's ***. its karl's fault why would he take off his star player who is starting catch fire for someone like kleiza? and just so you know melo has matured alot and is more mature that u are. and running to the bench is funny why do you think did the whole arena laughed and clapped including george karl.

what54!?
03-06-2009, 01:49 PM
meh its over. let it go

MG3
03-06-2009, 01:51 PM
Melo pulled a Roger Dorn...I love it lol

hotdogbun
03-06-2009, 01:53 PM
faneik if kg was the one to refuse to go out when he is starting to hit shots , do you think he will get suspended?

you would say that kg wont go out cuz his motivated

DenButsu
03-06-2009, 02:01 PM

For the last time, I was critical of his actions in this forum as well.

Granted, it was briefer and less pointed, but (and maybe, just maybe you can wrap your condescending 'tude around this concept) I didn't want to re-type my entire (longer) post from the Nugs forum.

The real difference between the Nugs forum and here, though, was that all kinds of posters here were jumping in with unjustifiable and exaggerated criticism of what he did, and so in response to them I felt the need to clarify that yes, he was wrong, but no, they were wrong about what he did wrong, and they were wrong (as you are wrong each and every time you post about Melo) to judge him more on their preconceived (and mistaken) notion of who they think he is than what really happened and what he really did and why.

So you should just stop trolling now, which is all you're really doing.

Faneik
03-06-2009, 02:14 PM
For the last time, I was critical of his actions in this forum as well.

Granted, it was briefer and less pointed, but (and maybe, just maybe you can wrap your condescending 'tude around this concept) I didn't want to re-type my entire (longer) post from the Nugs forum.

The real difference between the Nugs forum and here, though, was that all kinds of posters here were jumping in with unjustifiable and exaggerated criticism of what he did, and so in response to them I felt the need to clarify that yes, he was wrong, but no, they were wrong about what he did wrong, and they were wrong (as you are wrong each and every time you post about Melo) to judge him more on their preconceived (and mistaken) notion of who they think he is than what really happened and what he really did and why.

So you should just stop trolling now, which is all you're really doing.

Ok. I'll stop posting about Melo lack of professionalism. It might be confused with trolling...

Just one more thing: you really should work on your tolerance skills towards posters who don't think much of Melo. We're here and we aren't going anywhere. Get used to it.

Initially you tried to play me as dumb, then you said that I bring nothing but hate, now I'm trolling, huh?

Just because other posters don't share your point of view, it doesn't mean they're idiots, or that "they don't watch enough Nuggets games".

Ok, Mr. Mod, you win. I'll stay out of this thread before I'm accused of anything else.

Faneik
03-06-2009, 02:23 PM
faneik if kg was the one to refuse to go out when he is starting to hit shots , do you think he will get suspended?

you would say that kg wont go out cuz his motivated

please...just stop...Lets not start to assume what other posters would say in a hypothetical situation ...

ink
03-06-2009, 03:02 PM
No, the way you defended Melo in this thread is an epic fail.

I agree with what you posted about it in the Nuggets forum, but in this thread your main argument was: "Melo did it, he was wrong, but it was because he was so "motivated", and that's a good thing..."

That I don't buy. The NBA is full of "motivated" players that want court time and they don't go on questioning their coaches.

In the Nuggets forum, you were frustrated by Melo's actions.
In here, you said he was wrong, but then tried to minimize the incident by selling the "he did it because he was so motivated".

For the last time, Melo questioned his coach not because he was very motivated to stay in (and indeed he was), but because he's a bad professional who thinks he's above the coach.

He got suspended, what did he do in the next game he played? He made fun of the situation...

Melo has to mature a lot. A lot.

Whoa whoa whoa. Den's just giving a balanced view of a player where that balanced view is merited. To me it's ALWAYS more interesting to see a poster discussing the less-talked-about points about a player or team. Melo is an easy target for hate, and Den is a Nuggets fan giving his insight on a player he knows pretty well. It doesn't matter what people's motivations are for liking a player. He seems to be seeing both sides. How about returning the favour? Let's move on in this thread OK?

btw, I could give the same "double" look at all the players from my teams. I can see their flaws and their strengths. In my team forum I can be critical and in the NBA forum I can be much more protective, depending on the situation, and vice versa. The reason I might be like that is because I am more familiar with the players I watch game-in game-out than the fan who only sees them in occasional broadcasts or on sports highlights. This incident with Melo has been somewhat sensationalized, and I'm not surprised at all that Nuggets fans would have a different take on the situation.

Kohaku
03-06-2009, 04:42 PM
I'm still laughing at the video.

DenButsu
03-06-2009, 09:11 PM
Initially you tried to play me as dumb, then you said that I bring nothing but hate, now I'm trolling, huh?

I don't think I tried to "play you" as anything but stubbornly refusing to see any shred of positivity in anything Melo does (which is pretty much accurate, from what I've seen), and letting that interfere with your ability to post objectively about this situation. If you want to call that "dumb", be my guest, but it's not what I was saying.

But really, the more important thing is that there really isn't a difference between bringing nothing but hate and trolling. In either case, the only possible result can be dead end conversations being fueled by someone whose ultimate aim is merely to get under other posters' skin by bashing the players and teams that they like.