PDA

View Full Version : Sources: Gooden to join Spurs

RealistRocket34
03-03-2009, 09:22 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3949639

Barring an unforeseen snag, Drew Gooden will be joining the San Antonio Spurs later this week, according to NBA front-office sources.

Sources told ESPN.com on Tuesday that Gooden -- waived Sunday by the Sacramento Kings before the midnight deadline to be eligibile to play in the playoffs with another team -- has made known his intent to sign with San Antonio after clearing waivers Wednesday.

Gooden was pursued by several playoff-bound teams this week, including San Antonio's divisional rivals in Dallas and New Orleans.

But the Spurs have nearly $1.5 million remaining from their mid-level salary-cap exception to offer Gooden for the rest of the season, as well as a shot at title contention.

The league-wide expectation since Sunday, when Gooden finalized a buyout with the Kings and Joe Smith secured his release from the Oklahoma City Thunder, has been Smith signing with the Cleveland Cavaliers this week and Gooden joining the Spurs.

The Arizona Republic reported on its Web site Tuesday that the Phoenix Suns are on the verge of signing Stromile Swift, who will also clear waivers Wednesday after completing a buyout with the New Jersey Nets.

Marc Stein is a senior NBA writer for ESPN.com.

superkegger
03-03-2009, 09:24 PM
boo. don't do it drew!

Kakaroach
03-03-2009, 09:26 PM
Wow this would be pretty big for the Spurs. Add a dominant rebounder and a guy who can take some offensive and defensive pressure off of Timmy in the paint.

ProdigyI
03-03-2009, 09:40 PM
Can they compete with Lakers. Thoughts

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AuysviBthFPCWN_zTkjSKgk5nYcB?slug=aw-goodenspurs030309&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Kakaroach
03-03-2009, 09:41 PM
.....Why don't you actually check because there is already a thread about this. :pity:

Catfish1314
03-03-2009, 09:42 PM
Gooden, Mason, and a healthier Manu Ginobili should have the Spurs in much better condition to compete with the Lakers this time around. I still think LA will win though.

superkegger
03-03-2009, 09:43 PM
If they get a healthy Gooden and Ginobli, dangerous.

And you provide no link prodigy, and this same thread was created literally 18 minutes ago.

GoatMilk
03-03-2009, 09:48 PM
Gooden is hurt right now, i dont care about him. totally opposite of a Spurs player too

greatest2
03-03-2009, 09:49 PM
I havent watched alot of the spurs, but this is good in my eyes. i liked his stay in chicago, to bad we had to let him go. But i wish the Spurs the best, cuz i really want to see the lakers lose.

superkegger
03-03-2009, 09:53 PM
Gooden is hurt right now, i dont care about him. totally opposite of a Spurs player too

how so? plays defense and boards. Plus he brings something the spurs lack, which is offensive rebounding. I think he fits really well with them.

tdunk21
03-03-2009, 09:54 PM
this is the link...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3949639

GoatMilk
03-03-2009, 09:56 PM
how so? plays defense and boards. Plus he brings something the spurs lack, which is offensive rebounding. I think he fits really well with them.

He's really inconsistent and your really overrating his D.

superkegger
03-03-2009, 10:03 PM

I'm not saying he's a great defender, but he plays defense. Something enough players don't do that it's notable when a player actually commits to playing defense. And he may be somewhat inconsistant, I don't see any major inconsistency with him. He routinely will give you 10 and 8 in just under 30 minutes. Coming off the bench behind TD and asking him to rebound and play defense with the second unit isn't asking too much, and I think he can and will fulfill.

Joshtd1
03-03-2009, 10:03 PM
Glad we got him :clap:

Adds another good rebounder and someone who can score. I think he will help us out alot

AlexTmz2
03-03-2009, 10:11 PM
Not a GREAT rebounder but enough to help out timmy. Happy this trade went down and hope to see him on the floor ready and healthy.

S.J.Basketball
03-03-2009, 10:18 PM
If Gooden is a factor I'll be surprised.

Chronz
03-03-2009, 10:20 PM
Gooden is a great player to have coming off the bench. Really helps the spurs

greatest2
03-03-2009, 10:23 PM
If Gooden is a factor I'll be surprised.

yea, idk since when a guy putting up 13 ppg and 8.7 rpg would be a factor. :rolleyes:

RealistRocket34
03-03-2009, 10:28 PM
Gooden is a great player to have coming off the bench. Really helps the spurs
Indeed, He is similar to Kurt Thomas, worse defensively but better offensively.

jehovah joe
03-03-2009, 10:31 PM
good move by the spurs.

i have a feeling the spurs are going to win it all.

:smoking:

dre1990
03-03-2009, 10:37 PM
If you look at their full roster........ scary.

superkegger
03-03-2009, 10:37 PM
If you look at their full roster (when healthy)........ scary.

fixed

Chronz
03-03-2009, 10:46 PM
Indeed, He is similar to Kurt Thomas, worse defensively but better offensively.
Yea pretty much, combine the 2 and you have the greatest compliment to Tim Duncan, I was wondering what their big man rotation would be once he arrived, does he play primarily with Duncan or with Oberto/Thomas. Someones minutes playing alongside Duncan are going to be cut, I just wonder whos.

The Panch
03-03-2009, 10:48 PM
A pretty good pickup, for an already good bench. Their bench will be as good as some teams starting units.

BullsNumber1Fan
03-03-2009, 11:24 PM
The guy averaged 13/9 in 30 mpg this year, but his D really does suck. Take it from someone who watched ever game this year and noticed how much better it is when he is not on the court because of his defense. Although, if you pair him with Duncan, he can become better and I would be scared if the Spurs because he hits a 17 foot jumper consistently.

superkegger
03-03-2009, 11:32 PM
The guy averaged 13/9 in 30 mpg this year, but his D really does suck. Take it from someone who watched ever game this year and noticed how much better it is when he is not on the court because of his defense. Although, if you pair him with Duncan, he can become better and I would be scared if the Spurs because he hits a 17 foot jumper consistently.

well, part of why he sucked in chicago is because he was usually the biggest guy on the court for the bulls, and thats not the role gooden should be in.

Chronz
03-03-2009, 11:37 PM

Yea Ive never liked his D, and I knew he was a good midrange shooter but when i was updating my 2k (they suck at all their ratings) I was surprised by just how proficient he was from there, hes probably top5 among bigs and his range gets deeper every year, yet its not produced desired results in terms of efficiency, but as a complimentary player off the pine, hes very reliable.

Joshtd1
03-03-2009, 11:38 PM
Yea pretty much, combine the 2 and you have the greatest compliment to Tim Duncan, I was wondering what their big man rotation would be once he arrived, does he play primarily with Duncan or with Oberto/Thomas. Someones minutes playing alongside Duncan are going to be cut, I just wonder whos.

Be willing to bet it's Oberto. He was playing the least of the big men to begin with.

Chronz
03-03-2009, 11:48 PM
Be willing to bet it's Oberto. He was playing the least of the big men to begin with.

Yea but I get the feeling this may be a 1 year experiment, Im hearing alot of rumors about Sheed heading there next year. Now that would be scary

RealistRocket34
03-03-2009, 11:50 PM
They probably needed a slashing wing more if you ask me. Gooden is still a pretty good pick-up for the Spurs though.

showtym24
03-03-2009, 11:53 PM
Were gonna add a guy named Andrew Bynum come april so it's all good.

IndiansFan337
03-03-2009, 11:53 PM
This is a great pickup for this veteran squad. I hope that they don't retain him beyond this season. He is exactly what they have been craving (when healthy)....A younger scoring threat. Gooden can score when given the opportunity. He has a tremendous midrange shot from the baseline.

GrkGawdofWalkz
03-04-2009, 12:10 AM
Take what talent you can get. If he comes around and is healthy he fits a need. Energy, rebounding and inside scoring. I will take him regardless.

JayW_1023
03-04-2009, 04:39 AM
With him this Spurs team will be the deepest in years. It'll be extremely cocky to hand the Lakers western the title just yet once Gooden signs that signature.

Gooden would start on most teams. We also have Bonner, Oberto and Thomas behind Duncan so we have plenty of big bodies to throw at opposing all-star big men.

On the perimeter we have Parker, Hill, Finley, Mason, Bowen, Udoka and of course Manu. This team is as deep as the 2003 title team. If we enter the postseason healthy...we can beat anyone in a seven game series.

I truly believe that.

EX-TREME
03-04-2009, 07:04 AM
:sigh:

Catfish1314
03-04-2009, 09:31 AM

I don't think he's inconsistent on the boards. He's a regular contributor on the glass from what I've seen and that's plenty.

His defense is not good, only about average or less. But that has nothing to do with his effort. He's just slow.

Joshtd1
03-04-2009, 09:36 AM
Yea but I get the feeling this may be a 1 year experiment, Im hearing alot of rumors about Sheed heading there next year. Now that would be scary

I've seen the same stuff...I know Sheed is getting up there and age, but I would still love that.

GrkGawdofWalkz
03-04-2009, 10:01 AM
I've seen the same stuff...I know Sheed is getting up there and age, but I would still love that.

x2, a big who's a major above average defender who can hit a dagger three and is very ok with being a sidekick and number two or three option. I'm very ok with that. Get rid of trash like Oberto, Finley, Vaughn and bring in someone like Sheed who even at 36 will be productive.

greatest2
03-04-2009, 07:54 PM
Were gonna add a guy named Andrew Bynum come april so it's all good.

A guy who a guy who has been injured for quite some time.

With him this Spurs team will be the deepest in years. It'll be extremely cocky to hand the Lakers western the title just yet once Gooden signs that signature.

Gooden would start on most teams. We also have Bonner, Oberto and Thomas behind Duncan so we have plenty of big bodies to throw at opposing all-star big men.

On the perimeter we have Parker, Hill, Finley, Mason, Bowen, Udoka and of course Manu. This team is as deep as the 2003 title team. If we enter the postseason healthy...we can beat anyone in a seven game series.

I truly believe that.

i truly believ that as well. In my eyes, Gooden put this team in a spot to really contend. I kind of wish the Celtics would have waited a lil bit, then they could have skipped on Mikki, and then I really would have believed they wer gonna beat the Lakers. But i wish the Spurs the best and hope they really hand it to the Lakers.