PDA

View Full Version : Top ten NBA team names.

shonk688
03-03-2009, 04:28 PM
1. Pistons
2. Spurs
3. Pacers
4. Celtics
5. 76ers
6. knicks
7. Rockets
8. Lakers (would be higher if they were still in Minnesota)
9. Suns
10. Nets

I personally like the ones that have something to do with the city they are in.

extreme k.closs
03-03-2009, 04:41 PM
i like the pistons off that list. some team names piss me off. like how can the lakers be there when there is no water in southern ca? And jazz in utah? Thats unheard of. They shoud be called the Utah Polygamites!!

superkegger
03-03-2009, 04:43 PM
The ones that really fit their city,

Pistons- The Motor City, known for cars, duh.
Bucks- If you know Wisconsin, you know Deer hunting is absolutely huge.
Bulls- Chicago used to be like the #1 cattle market in America back in the day.
Magic-Orlando, disney world, where magic happens, etc. makes sense
Suns- If you don't get this, :pity:
76ers- 1776 was a pretty important year no?
Nuggets- Pretty easy connection, denver colorado, mining, gold.
Celtics- Boston, irish, makes sense. Though the way the pronounce it, were the C sounds more like an S is wrong, since the Irish pronounce it with a K sound.
Trailblazers- Oregon Trail anyone?
Rockets- Houston is a major space port no?
Spurs- Texas, cowboys, spurs, it flows
Mavs- again the whole texas cowboy thing
timberwolves- used to be a lot of wolves there, makes sense

borderline
Thunder- i guess it works, oklahoma is known for its weather, though more for tornadoes i though.
Heat- I guess miami is hot?

I don't know what a cavalier, clipper, knick, or pacer is, or what their significance to those cities are.

Didn't know there were a lot of Hawks in atlanta or bobcats in the NC, or raptors in toronto.

Obviously the Jazz, Grizzlies, Lakers and Hornets are displaced.

Didn't know that Oakland was known for its fierce warriors? ANd really, the Nets. Could you think of a less imaginative name for a basketball team. I mean I guess they could have gone with basketballers or field goal shooters, or rims or something, but come on.

shonk688
03-03-2009, 04:48 PM

Celtics- Boston, irish, makes sense. Though the way the pronounce it, were the C sounds more like an S is wrong, since the Irish pronounce it with a K sound.

borderline
Thunder- i guess it works, oklahoma is known for its weather, though more for tornadoes i though.

I don't know what a cavalier, clipper, knick, or pacer is, or what their significance to those cities are.

Didn't know there were a lot of Hawks in atlanta or bobcats in the NC, or raptors in toronto.

Didn't know that Oakland was known for its fierce warriors? ANd really, the Nets. Could you think of a less imaginative name for a basketball team. I mean I guess they could have gone with basketballers or field goal shooters, or rims or something, but come on.

The Pacers name comes from the Pace car at the Indy 500.

extreme k.closs
03-03-2009, 04:49 PM
The nets name always has been kinda lame to me. And the kings in sacramento, makes sense you know cause eddie murphy lives here.

superkegger
03-03-2009, 04:57 PM
The Pacers name comes from the Pace car at the Indy 500.

lol, well thats kinda lame. They made their team name based after another sport. kinda lame.

DrDEADalready
03-03-2009, 04:57 PM
My favorite team name is the Utah jazz. I love jazz it fits. :eyebrow:

abe_froman
03-03-2009, 05:00 PM

borderline

knick=from kickerbocker(old term for a class of nyer's)
clipper=clipper is a type of ship
cavalier=member of the cavalry,an old type of military unit

and warrors are displaced from philly

Jacob K.
03-03-2009, 05:07 PM
or raptors in toronto.

they let the fans pick the name, and that was right during the whole Jurrasic Park era. :eyebrow:

superkegger
03-03-2009, 05:07 PM
knick=from kickerbocker(old term for a class of nyer's)
clipper=clipper is a type of ship
cavalier=member of the cavalry,an old type of military unit

and warrors are displaced from philly

hmm. i guess that makes more sense. I knew what a cavalier was, rather, i didn't know how it fit cleveland specifically.

pebloemer
03-03-2009, 05:09 PM

borderline

I also like the team names with relevance to the city. You should come up to Toronto and see the Raptor's roaming around; quite surreal. In all seriousness, I think the connection of the name was a Raptor skeleton found in some dig near Toronto right after Jurassic Park came out which coincided wit hthe time they were picking the name. Such a lame connection for them to make.... Now we are forever linked to a movie fad.

shonk688
03-03-2009, 05:11 PM
lol, well thats kinda lame. They made their team name based after another sport. kinda lame.

Why is that lame? Its only the biggest race in the world, kinda a big deal in indy. If your saying its lame to name it after the biggest thing going on in a particular city than you could say alot of the names a lame.:rolleyes:

abe_froman
03-03-2009, 05:12 PM
hmm. i guess that makes more sense. I knew what a cavalier was, rather, i didn't know how it fit cleveland specifically.

i think its just generic name/term like most teams in all sports use warriors,hawks,tigers,ect.(are dime a dozen names that sports teams use because it sounds "cool")

Faneik
03-03-2009, 05:14 PM
they let the fans pick the name, and that was right during the whole Jurrasic Park era. :eyebrow:

:laugh2:

superkegger
03-03-2009, 05:14 PM
Why is that lame? Its only the biggest race in the world, kinda a big deal in indy. If your saying its lame to name it after the biggest thing going on in a particular city than you could say alot of the names a lame.:rolleyes:

I understand the Indy 500 is a big race, and it makes sense. I guess I just feel its kind of silly to name your NBA team after another sport's icon.

extreme k.closs
03-03-2009, 05:15 PM
Raptors roaming around huh? Don't worry im a comin to slaughter them and open up my own raptor deli, and hire wade haters for my staff

superkegger
03-03-2009, 05:15 PM
I also like the team names with relevance to the city. You should come up to Toronto and see the Raptor's roaming around; quite surreal. In all seriousness, I think the connection of the name was a Raptor skeleton found in some dig near Toronto right after Jurassic Park came out which coincided wit hthe time they were picking the name. Such a lame connection for them to make.... Now we are forever linked to a movie fad.

:laugh2:

The Panch
03-03-2009, 05:23 PM
My favorite was always the Pistons, Pacers, and the Rockets.

shonk688
03-03-2009, 05:28 PM
I understand the Indy 500 is a big race, and it makes sense. I guess I just feel its kind of silly to name your NBA team after another sport's icon.

Well what else are we going to call them the Cornsmen.:D

shonk688
03-03-2009, 05:29 PM
Raptors roaming around huh? Don't worry im a comin to slaughter them and open up my own raptor deli, and hire wade haters for my staff

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

superkegger
03-03-2009, 05:30 PM
Well what else are we going to call them the Cornsmen.:D

I don't know. I mean Nebraska are the Cornhuskers....

shonk688
03-03-2009, 05:36 PM

That is true but I never liked that name.

Nirvanaskurdt
03-03-2009, 05:37 PM
are the knicks really called the knickembockers?spell check?.. I always thought it was a cool name..:cool:

also the Thunder should be called THE THUNDER CATS!!!!!:smoking:

shonk688
03-03-2009, 05:39 PM

Plus have you ever been to nebraska? I have and thats all it is there, so it fits them just right.

unwantedplayer
03-03-2009, 05:41 PM
are the knicks really called the knickembockers?spell check?.. I always thought it was a cool name..:cool:

I doubt the Thunder orginization is up for another change.

BSD8393
03-03-2009, 05:55 PM
I'd say the 76ers. even though I'm a Celtics fan and I like their name I would have to say the Sixers have the best name.

CHief_0_o_Wahoo
03-03-2009, 06:04 PM
I like the Cavalier name and the Pacer name.

I don't just like the Cavalier because I am from Cleveland, I like what it is.

superkegger
03-03-2009, 06:05 PM
That is true but I never liked that name.

Well, it worked well for them, they used to be dominant. and yeah, its really the only option they had, lol.

thunder cats? really? what the hell is a thundercat?

I'd say the 76ers. even though I'm a Celtics fan and I like their name I would have to say the Sixers have the best name.

I just never understood why the Celtics pronounced their name wrong. If you look into Irish lore at all, you'll see that it's pronounced like its a K and not like the S they say it with. Weird.

DrDEADalready
03-03-2009, 06:07 PM
I'm glad they go by knicks. Cause if they went by New york Knickerbockers. I could def see someone miss pronouncing that. :cool:

extreme k.closs
03-03-2009, 06:09 PM

no they should be called the tornadoes, or hate to sound like an ******* but the bombers would fit better

DrDEADalready
03-03-2009, 06:12 PM
Outlaws outlaws outlaws. Please make that a team name. Its so cool

and fitting with the name what Bad boys of the NBA would be on that team?

cmstophe
03-03-2009, 06:13 PM

THANK YOU.

So few people realize this. I think this is one of the worst names in the NBA simply because it's pronounced wrong.

luckynumber_752
03-03-2009, 06:14 PM
I just can't stand the "Thunder" name for OKC. I know they have alot of thunder, but that would b like calling the old Seattle team "Rain" instead of "Supersonics".(And IMO, The "Rain" is a better name than The "Thunder"). Maybe i'm just bitter from the move to OKC in the first place. No. That can't be. I am bitter. But i'm a Blazer fan. The "Thunder" is just about the most non-creative, ********, WNBA sounding name in the league. Does anybody else think so? I can't b the only one. That name IS that bad.

durtee
03-03-2009, 06:19 PM

borderline

This is a cool list that you did. I will be honest I really didn't know why some of these teams were named what they are. I never really thought of it before.

stop40
03-03-2009, 06:22 PM
Anyone remember when they were thinking of changing the Nets to the Swamp Dragons...tons of dragons in the swamps around the meadowlands

BSD8393
03-03-2009, 06:24 PM
I just never understood why the Celtics pronounced their name wrong. If you look into Irish lore at all, you'll see that it's pronounced like its a K and not like the S they say it with. Weird.[/QUOTE]

I hear it's used both ways and both are correct. it depends on the language and the culture apparently.

shonk688
03-03-2009, 06:31 PM
I just can't stand the "Thunder" name for OKC. I know they have alot of thunder, but that would b like calling the old Seattle team "Rain" instead of "Supersonics".(And IMO, The "Rain" is a better name than The "Thunder"). Maybe i'm just bitter from the move to OKC in the first place. No. That can't be. I am bitter. But i'm a Blazer fan. The "Thunder" is just about the most non-creative, ********, WNBA sounding name in the league. Does anybody else think so? I can't b the only one. That name IS that bad.

I agree I didn't like it ether.

shonk688
03-03-2009, 06:32 PM
Anyone remember when they were thinking of changing the Nets to the Swamp Dragons...tons of dragons in the swamps around the meadowlands

:laugh2:Did they really?

superkegger
03-03-2009, 06:47 PM

You're kidding right? Swamp Dragons? It's more creative than "Nets" but oh my god thats funny.

homestarunner93
03-03-2009, 07:13 PM

borderline

Thanks for insulting us. Maybe you need to do some research.

1) There are Bobcats in the mountains of NC and SC.
2) The city or Charlotte has a history with cat names: NFL-Panthers, ABA-Cougars, NBA-Bobcats, CATS- Charlotte Area Transit System, LYNX- light rail line

People who say the Bobcats have nothing to do with the Carolinas are ignorant and need to do some research.

lets_go_yankees
03-03-2009, 07:15 PM
knicks
celtics
rockets
mavs
cavs
nuggets
pistons
warriors
bulls
magic

pd7631
03-03-2009, 07:25 PM
knicks
celtics
rockets
mavs
cavs
nuggets
pistons
warriors
bulls
magic

Nobody thinks about it, but if the Magic didn't exist and they were just becoming a franchise now, everyone would call their team name gay and say it sounds like a WNBA team. I don't know, maybe I am actually the only one who thinks that, but when I really think about it, the Magic is kinda gay lol.

Let's play "can you spot the NBA team name" lol

Sparks
Mystics
Magic
Dream

I don't know why I went on this little rant, Magic is just a funny name

Nikeman
03-03-2009, 07:42 PM
This is obviously a popularity contest ;)

Punkindrublic03
03-03-2009, 07:54 PM
Seattle Supersonics #1

brevinknight
03-03-2009, 07:57 PM

borderline

I dont really get the boston one cause thats where a load of irish immigrants came to but whats funny is the Scottish pronounce celtic just like the nba team.

superkegger
03-03-2009, 08:00 PM
Thanks for insulting us. Maybe you need to do some research.

1) There are Bobcats in the mountains of NC and SC.
2) The city or Charlotte has a history with cat names: NFL-Panthers, ABA-Cougars, NBA-Bobcats, CATS- Charlotte Area Transit System, LYNX- light rail line

People who say the Bobcats have nothing to do with the Carolinas are ignorant and need to do some research.

Woah buddy, calm down. I said I didn't know there were a lot of Bobcats in North Carolina. I didn't say there weren't. I don't think it's a widely known fact through out the US, that the Carolina's have a large population of wild cats. Or at least I didn't kow. I wasn't insulting anyone, I simply didn't know, and said as such. Christ, who knew you'd be so touchy about ****ing cats.

Nobody thinks about it, but if the Magic didn't exist and they were just becoming a franchise now, everyone would call their team name gay and say it sounds like a WNBA team. I don't know, maybe I am actually the only one who thinks that, but when I really think about it, the Magic is kinda gay lol.

Let's play "can you spot the NBA team name" lol

Sparks
Mystics
Magic
Dream

I don't know why I went on this little rant, Magic is just a funny name

:laugh2: That's pretty funny. Didn't really realize that.

shonk688
03-03-2009, 08:01 PM
This is obviously a popularity contest ;)

Yeah I wish people would vote for the name and not what team they like, I dont like the Pistons, Lakers or Knicks but I like the names.

superkegger
03-03-2009, 08:06 PM
Yeah I wish people would vote for the name and not what team they like, I dont like the Pistons, Lakers or Knicks but I like the names.

Yeah, I'm in no way a 76ers fan, I just happen to be a tool and love history, and find it cool that Philly would embrace their historical roots in the naming of the Basketball team. It's hard to dislike an NBA team's name that incorporates my two favorite things in life, history and the NBA.

Greaser1
03-03-2009, 08:22 PM
The BEST team name is OBVIOUSLY the LAKERS greatest team name Ever end of story Period!

ink
03-03-2009, 08:24 PM

I have to disagree with you on that one. The Indy 500 put Indiana on the map. It's an institution and way more than a sporting event. No surprise they named a team after it. Besides "Hoosiers" was already taken. lol.

My top 10 would be:

1. Bulls
2. Celtics
3. Pistons
4. Knicks
5. Spurs
6. Suns
7. Heat
8. Lakers (they'd be in the top 5 if they were in Minnesota since we ARE talking about NAMES)
9. Pacers
10. Magic

All great names IMO.

TruBlu2376
03-03-2009, 08:29 PM
Yes they are Bobcats, and as far as that goes they are also Panthers (NFL) in the Carolina's, However they are far more Bobcats in the Carolinas' then Panthers. But The real reason for the Bobcat name is to honor Bob Johnson being the NBA's first black majority owner. BOB johnson = BOBcats.

superkegger
03-03-2009, 08:30 PM
The BEST team name is OBVIOUSLY the LAKERS greatest team name Ever end of story Period!

except that minnesota is the land of 10,000 lakes, which is where the Lakers started out, and then moved to LA later. So it doesn't really make a ton of sense for a team to be named the Lakers where there aren't a plethora of lakes...

ink
03-03-2009, 08:31 PM
except that minnesota is the land of 10,000 lakes, which is where the Lakers started out, and then moved to LA later. So it doesn't really make a ton of sense for a team to be named the Lakers where there aren't a plethora of lakes...

Exactly. And I like the team.

:nod:

Kyle N.
03-03-2009, 09:06 PM

borderline

The Rockets started in San Diego so it's a coincidence they went to Houston and had that name. Yeah, the Lakers are displaced but what's a Laker anyway? I know they have a lot of lakes there, but it still doesn't mean anything. If they move to New Mexico does that make them the Deserters or they move to Idaho and are the Potatoers? And with the Nets, they have the Jets and the Mets in the area so it makes some sense.

shonk688
03-03-2009, 09:07 PM
I have to disagree with you on that one. The Indy 500 put Indiana on the map. It's an institution and way more than a sporting event. No surprise they named a team after it. Besides "Hoosiers" was already taken. lol.

:nod:

homestarunner93
03-03-2009, 10:35 PM
Woah buddy, calm down. I said I didn't know there were a lot of Bobcats in North Carolina. I didn't say there weren't. I don't think it's a widely known fact through out the US, that the Carolina's have a large population of wild cats. Or at least I didn't kow. I wasn't insulting anyone, I simply didn't know, and said as such. Christ, who knew you'd be so touchy about ****ing cats.

Well, I just get tired of people saying our name is irrelevant, because its obviously not. Not only because of the reasons I listed but, like someone else in this thread said, Bob Johnson=BOBcats. Our name is more relevant than 1/2 of the league, including the Lakers.

cmstophe
03-03-2009, 10:37 PM
Cavalier is a cool name with an awesome logo...but has no significance to Cleveland that I know of.