PDA

View Full Version : We can't speak our mind?

luckynumber_752
03-03-2009, 04:08 PM
I was just viewing the thread that asked, "Which NBA player do u like the least?", and was kinda upset to notice that it was shut down. We were told not to make any "Player Hate Threads"??? For starters, nobody even used the word "hate", and there IS a difference between disliking and hating. I don't understand how we can..... #1) Bash Greg Oden for not developing into a superstar right off the bat(and the guy has been nothing but polite to the media), #2) Ask who the ugliest player in the NBA is(most of these guys cant control at all the way they look, they were born that way, and it's mean to pick on people for that), and #3) Bash a ton of NBA players, coaches, teams, GM's, team presidents, ect.(among SO much other judging that we do on this site on a daily basis)........ Yet we can't speak our mind about who is our least favorite player? Or the player that we like the least? Y not? This is an open Forum, is it not? This is America, is it not? Nobody even said anything slightly out of line on the thread either. Not to mention that it's not hard to understand y those specific players might get under somebodys skin. I didn't dislike all of them, realy only one, but that's besides the point. This is supposed to b a place where we can talk about stuff like that(anything we want, that's not completely out of line). Man, I hope I don't get banned from this site for posting this, cause I like this site(besides this issue). If I do get banned, oh well. Does anybody else think it was not right for that thread to get shut down? Or am I totally wrong for posting this?

Big Zo
03-03-2009, 04:10 PM
I guess some mods are just bored.

DrDEADalready
03-03-2009, 04:14 PM
I agree with you. It's not like that is anyworse than the Ugly threads and what not we have on here. But i can also see how a thread like that Could lead too more than just people saying who they dont like.

KeithLBC
03-03-2009, 04:18 PM
If you say you don't like a player and someone who does like that player disagrees with you, it just leads to an argument :shrug: Usually there's nothing constructive that comes out of those type of threads

Faneik
03-03-2009, 04:19 PM
You have a point.

But you have to understand that mods are experienced users, and those kinds of threads tend to lead to flame wars.

If you post you hate a player, then some poster will call you dumb or idiot because that player is on his team...stuff like that.

superkegger
03-03-2009, 04:22 PM
It's fine to dislike or hate certain players, but rarely will a thread like that one result in any kind of good conversation, and will only result in insults, baiting and trolling, so Den shut it down before it got out of control, as he should have.

luckynumber_752
03-03-2009, 04:30 PM
If you say you don't like a player and someone who does like that player disagrees with you, it just leads to an argument :shrug: Usually there's nothing constructive that comes out of those type of threads

I understand that. It would b fine with me if that was the case. However, my point is that people make threads like that all the time, in a slightly different way. I've seen alot of threads that people make that end up in nothing but arguments and nothing constructive comes from it, that don't get shut down. I just don't c how that thread is worse than others that i've seen that end up the same way. It's all talk. This entire site is talk, and I think we should b able to talk about whatever we want. People argue all the time, the so called "pros" do it on ESPN on a daily basis.

IDB Josh M
03-03-2009, 04:35 PM
It could easily lead to a flame war when it involves players with alot of fans. Kobe Bryant, Lebron James, Paul Pierce, Rajon Rondo, Pau Gasol ... the list goes on and on, who has as many haters as they do lovers.

I also think its a matter of respect. Despite being a Laker fan, there will be a time I have to put away my anger towards Pierce, KG and Allen and respect them for their game and contribution to the Sport. The same went for Larry Bird, and Bill Russell. Now when you have a player that is inconsequential, like Kwame Brown, you have a player who will be remembered for being a scrub AND most hated. That's really below the belt.

I think we can say our opinions how we hate or dislike a player/coach/owner in the context of what they are doing to our team, but we cannot outright dislike hate them without that context. Although free speech is meant to be free, the purpose of it is to encourage spirited debate, regardless of the disliked positions.

IndyRealist
03-03-2009, 04:40 PM
Yes, this is America. You can, in fact, talk about whatever you'd like. All the way up until you checked the box that said, "I have read and agree to the terms of use..." They have the right to restrict topics that would otherwise incite flaming, derogatory comments, threats, etc. for the overall well being of the site.

I myself made a thread before the ASG urging people to vote for Yi so Kevin Garnett wouldn't make it to the game, and that thread probably should have been shut down. Ultimately mods use their best judgement, try to be fair, and if they quickly close a thread it's because they think it'll just lead to trouble. Better to close a topic than have to ban 20 accounts for something they said in anger. Can you imagine this place without mods, even for a day? Ugly.

king4day
03-03-2009, 04:52 PM
It's fine to dislike or hate certain players, but rarely will a thread like that one result in any kind of good conversation, and will only result in insults, baiting and trolling, so Den shut it down before it got out of control, as he should have.

Couldn't agree more.

And while the word 'hate' may not be in the title, it is in fact a hate thread.

kevvvo247
03-03-2009, 05:12 PM
I was just viewing the thread that asked, "Which NBA player do u like the least?", and was kinda upset to notice that it was shut down. We were told not to make any "Player Hate Threads"??? For starters, nobody even used the word "hate", and there IS a difference between disliking and hating. I don't understand how we can..... #1) Bash Greg Oden for not developing into a superstar right off the bat(and the guy has been nothing but polite to the media), #2) Ask who the ugliest player in the NBA is(most of these guys cant control at all the way they look, they were born that way, and it's mean to pick on people for that), and #3) Bash a ton of NBA players, coaches, teams, GM's, team presidents, ect.(among SO much other judging that we do on this site on a daily basis)........ Yet we can't speak our mind about who is our least favorite player? Or the player that we like the least? Y not? This is an open Forum, is it not? This is America, is it not? Nobody even said anything slightly out of line on the thread either. Not to mention that it's not hard to understand y those specific players might get under somebodys skin. I didn't dislike all of them, realy only one, but that's besides the point. This is supposed to b a place where we can talk about stuff like that(anything we want, that's not completely out of line). Man, I hope I don't get banned from this site for posting this, cause I like this site(besides this issue). If I do get banned, oh well. Does anybody else think it was not right for that thread to get shut down? Or am I totally wrong for posting this?

thank you. i didn't think anything was wrong with my thread, but i will say that these mods are pretty much indicative of life in general. sure, you know the government has laws but the laws slowly but surely become more and more restrictive until finally there's pretty much nothing you can do without getting arrested or in this case, some lame infraction threat or ban. the only thing that should be deleted here is foul or abusive language. how boring would it be if everyone agreed all the time. man up, PSD!

superkegger
03-03-2009, 05:21 PM
Yes, PSD is known for being a cultist regime where everyone agrees on everything all the time.

rrude
03-03-2009, 05:28 PM
Seems like 'hate' is getting misused here. It can be a code-word for being racist or religionist, and that's the sort of hate that is regulated in society, and i thought the sort of hate that was regulated on PSD.

But the everyday sort of hate where you say, "Man, I hate that dude", I don't think that can or should be regulated. Part of sports is hating the other team, hating individual players, etc. You can't separate sports from that sort of hate.

as far as closing threads that get into silly arguments and name-calling, you'd be closing half the threads that come up if you did that. I hate the personal stuff on here but that's just what you get in a public forum with people of varying ages and maturity.

Maybe we need to hear from the mod who closed the thread.

luckynumber_752
03-03-2009, 06:03 PM
Seems like 'hate' is getting misused here. It can be a code-word for being racist or religionist, and that's the sort of hate that is regulated in society, and i thought the sort of hate that was regulated on PSD.

But the everyday sort of hate where you say, "Man, I hate that dude", I don't think that can or should be regulated. Part of sports is hating the other team, hating individual players, etc. You can't separate sports from that sort of hate.

as far as closing threads that get into silly arguments and name-calling, you'd be closing half the threads that come up if you did that. I hate the personal stuff on here but that's just what you get in a public forum with people of varying ages and maturity.

Maybe we need to hear from the mod who closed the thread.

That's my point exactly. You can find silly arguments and name-calling in pretty much any type of thread that somebody makes. And I don't realy agree with some people in this thread that think that nothing constructive could come from a thread like the one they closed. When you're talking about certain players and y u don't like them, alot of the time u have a point that should b expressed as to y that player was out of line for whatever made u dislike them. Y didn't the thread get closed down that was about "Garnett taunting Bayless"? That thread resulted in alot of name-calling and silly arguements. But at the same time, people have a right to post their opinion if they dislike Garnett for his actions on the court in that game. I think it's a admirable topic to discuss unexcusable actions by NBA players that r supposed to b rolemodels. R people not supposed to talk about A-Rod? I know u can't compare Steroids to taunting, but it's still calling out something that u don't think is right. While there will b some silly arguments and name-calling, there will also b valid points made. Like whether or not the NBA should allow the actions that players display on court.(the very same players that we were going to discuss in the thread that got closed).

Missing56&33
03-03-2009, 06:13 PM
you have a point but what I've learned from being on here, is not to take things so serious and personal. There are so many threads and topics, that you really dont have the time or patients to let it upset you or keep you upset for to long. Most of the time its about one particular comment or it may have been a duplicate thread topic that got out of control.

Its a reason for it, you may not think so at first but the longer you read and comments and see the reactions youll understand what im talking about. The fun thing is you can get right back into another thread almost immediately.

But you do have a valid point, nice thread welll said

luckynumber_752
03-03-2009, 06:28 PM
you have a point but what I've learned from being on here, is not to take things so serious and personal. There are so many threads and topics, that you really dont have the time or patients to let it upset you or keep you upset for to long. Most of the time its about one particular comment or it may have been a duplicate thread topic that got out of control.

Its a reason for it, you may not think so at first but the longer you read and comments and see the reactions youll understand what im talking about. The fun thing is you can get right back into another thread almost immediately.

But you do have a valid point, nice thread welll said

I still don't agree that the thread got closed. It just seems to me like the mod was having a bad day or just loves the "RAW POWER AND AUTHORITY" his job gives him. lol. Thanx for the props though, man. And don't worry, i'm not all butt hurt. I was just a little dissapointed that I couldn't respond to the thread. I wanted to add my 2 cents. lol. Oh, and to everybody that implied that I have no room to talk cause I agreed to the terms when I signed up, that doesn't mean that I have to personaly agree with the site when they close threads, it's still my opinion. It's not like i'm filing a lawsuit or somethin. lol.

heyman321
03-03-2009, 07:21 PM
The mods should just make a thread that we can flame each other hahahah.

VCaintdead17
03-03-2009, 07:24 PM
Jeez, alot of sheep today:rolleyes:

Hawkeye15
03-03-2009, 07:30 PM
because it results in people arguing to death the same **** we have heard over and over again. No matter how you spell it, if you don't like KG, his fans will not only defend him, but attack players that they know you like. Same goes for Kobe, LeBron Wade, etc, etc. Its a negative thread to begin with.

Wilson
03-03-2009, 07:34 PM

Exactly. There's always going to be a bunch of immature posters saying that they hate Kobe/Wade/LeBron/Pierce etc, and it just leads to people insulting each other.

Luckynumber, when you have issues like this just PM the mod who closed it, or start a thread in the Feedback and Support forum at the top of the main forum's page.

Wilson
03-03-2009, 07:36 PM
The mods should just make a thread that we can flame each other hahahah.

Yeah Living Legend said somewhere that there should be a thred just for trash talking and stuff. I don't know, maybe it could work :shrug:

It definately would be fun to read through :p

greatest2
03-03-2009, 07:45 PM
Yeah Living Legend said somewhere that there should be a thred just for trash talking and stuff. I don't know, maybe it could work :shrug:

It definately would be fun to read through :p

it should just be a whole forum...NBA trash talking forum. That way anybody who wants to talk sh.it. has a place to go and do it, and show up other people who want to trash talk.

VCaintdead17
03-03-2009, 07:48 PM
it should just be a whole forum...NBA trash talking forum. That way anybody who wants to talk sh.it. has a place to go and do it, and show up other people who want to trash talk.

Bad idea. Some users simply can't take it. We are here to talk about sports, not be little someone and make them feel bad.