PDA

View Full Version : Top Storied Franchises in NBA History

JordansBulls
03-03-2009, 03:23 PM
How would you rank the top storied franchises in NBA History in order?

Obviously Celtics and Lakers are 1 and 2, but after that you have the Bulls, Spurs, Pistons, Sixers, Knicks and Rockets as well.

NOTE: Used franchises with 2 rings.

The thing that brought this up was that I realized that only these 5 franchises below have produced a History of their team from the beginning until now.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/5147F8BV1ZL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51P0YWYMNXL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51Rz9VGSBPL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41fAp0EWd6L._SL500_AA240_.jpg

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51V35g1oCIL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

I now have each of those DVD collections as something to collect from each team. Because each of them have classic games on them.

Any reason why maybe the Rockets, Spurs or Pistons or any other team that has won a title doesn't have a DVD collection for their franchise?

abe_froman
03-03-2009, 03:28 PM
1.lakers
2.c's
3.philly
4.knicks
5.detroit

you'd think every team would have one(revenue from die hards buying)

superkegger
03-03-2009, 03:43 PM
I think the Pistons over the last 30 years have a fascinating history. From the bad boys to the clean cut Grant Hill back to the hard nosed semi bad boys that went to 6 ECF's. It just makes you wonder what dircetion they'll take next.

DrDEADalready
03-03-2009, 03:43 PM
Spurs will probably have one of those dvd series end off 2010.

magichatnumber9
03-03-2009, 03:46 PM
The Pistons have a great storied franchise. Celts, Bull, lakes ect. is easy. I miss the tough Pistons of the eighties man.

extreme k.closs
03-03-2009, 03:57 PM
I'd say the pistons are third, then probably the bobcats 4th

oldenpolynice
03-03-2009, 04:01 PM
Celtics
Lakers
Knicks
Pistons
Sixers

The Panch
03-03-2009, 05:34 PM
Lakers
Celtics
Knicks
Pistons
76ers

superkegger
03-03-2009, 08:15 PM
I also find the Milwaukee Bucks to have one of the saddest histories. So sad.

x_notorious
03-03-2009, 08:18 PM
Besides the Celtics and Lakers, I would have to go with the Knicks, 76ers, Spurs and Bulls.

Greaser1
03-03-2009, 08:30 PM
1.lakers
2.c's
3.philly
4.knicks
5.detroit

Ex-fukin-xactly!:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:: clap::clap::clap:

JIDsanity
03-03-2009, 08:39 PM
NETS
NETS NETS NETS NETS
I'm not biased

ink
03-03-2009, 08:48 PM
Come on. Bulls have to be 3rd.

There's no way MJ's dynasty gets eclipsed by any other team than the Lakers and Celtics.

Next, Pistons, Spurs, and Knicks.

Hellcrooner
03-03-2009, 09:03 PM
1 Celtics = 17

2 Lakers= 14

3 Bulls= 6

4 Spurs = 4

5 Pistons /Sixers/Warriors = 3

8 Knicks/rockets/hawks = 2

11 Sonics, Blazers, Kings,Bucks,Wizzards,Heat = 1

18 Nuggets, Nets, Pacers = aba titles.

21 Jazz,Suns,Mavs,Magic,Cavs = Nba Finalists

then the rest.

ink
03-03-2009, 09:39 PM
1 Celtics = 17

2 Lakers= 14

3 Bulls= 6

4 Spurs = 4

then the rest.

Thank you for the evidence. :D Celtics, Lakers, Bulls, then the rest.

superkegger
03-03-2009, 09:55 PM

There's no way MJ's dynasty gets eclipsed by any other team than the Lakers and Celtics.

Thank you for the evidence. :D Celtics, Lakers, Bulls, then the rest.

I agree that the Bulls run their inthe 90's with MJ is pretty awesome, but do championships alone make a team more "storied"?

ink
03-03-2009, 10:00 PM
I agree that the Bulls run their inthe 90's with MJ is pretty awesome, but do championships alone make a team more "storied"?

I would call the Bulls a storied franchise. They WERE the NBA in the 90's. Sure the Pistons and Rockets won titles too, but that Bulls franchise is still being discussed and argued about today. That alone shows how big an impact they made on the league.

JordansBulls
03-04-2009, 12:32 AM

If based on titles then I agree we should be 3rd. However if having good teams all the time then no. I think Philly has had good teams a few more times. In the 60's, the 80's and early 2000's. We have only had good teams in the 90's.

Pistons have had good teams in the late 80's, early 90's and then again in the late 90's along with the mid 2000's.

what54!?
03-04-2009, 12:41 AM
The pistons. They usually have had good teams (well at least playoff teams)

pd7631
03-04-2009, 12:49 AM
1.) Celtics
2.) Lakers
3.) Knicks
4.) Bulls
5.) 76ers

ink
03-04-2009, 01:28 AM
If based on titles then I agree we should be 3rd. However if having good teams all the time then no. I think Philly has had good teams a few more times. In the 60's, the 80's and early 2000's. We have only had good teams in the 90's.

Pistons have had good teams in the late 80's, early 90's and then again in the late 90's along with the mid 2000's.

Think of the stories those titles have generated over the years. The Celtics and Lakers are no brainers, but think of the comparisons that never stop from the Bulls dynasty years. That's what "storied" means to me. The franchises that have changed the course of basketball history and have the biggest legacy in the minds of fans and players.

zambo4president
03-04-2009, 01:32 AM
I'd say the pistons are third, then probably the bobcats 4th

As stupid as that was i actually lol`d.

zambo4president
03-04-2009, 01:33 AM
Is this a ****in joke, the Bulls are easily 3rd. They had a run of one of the most dominant decades of all time.

abe_froman
03-04-2009, 02:03 AM

i dont think it does,its a good part,yes but its more than how many won,its how they got them;do they have steady stream of success(win%),div titles,conf. titles,playoff appearances;notable players that donned the uniform...whats the all time team look like for that franchise,are the championships from different era's or all won by one team(player)

the bulls have 3rd most but it was all due to one(2)players all at once.take a look at the franchise as a whole(asides said player)are they still storied?(thats the question to ask)

and which is why(even though bulls fan)i leave them out of the top five,but still top 10

ink
03-04-2009, 02:12 AM
i dont think it does,its a good part,yes.the bulls have 3rd most but it was all due to one(2)players all at once.take a look at the franchise as a whole(asides said player)are they still storied in any way?(thats the question to ask)

and which is why(even though bulls fan)i leave them out of the top five

Still, the influence and fame of the Bulls in the 90's has left aftershocks that are still being felt in the game. You can't say the same thing for the Pistons, Sixers, Knicks, or Rockets. Don't get me wrong, those are great franchises, but the Bulls reached a level of fame that is only beaten by decades of Lakers and Celtics dominance.

superkegger
03-04-2009, 02:17 AM
I would call the Bulls a storied franchise. They WERE the NBA in the 90's. Sure the Pistons and Rockets won titles too, but that Bulls franchise is still being discussed and argued about today. That alone shows how big an impact they made on the league.

Think of the stories those titles have generated over the years. The Celtics and Lakers are no brainers, but think of the comparisons that never stop from the Bulls dynasty years. That's what "storied" means to me. The franchises that have changed the course of basketball history and have the biggest legacy in the minds of fans and players.

Hmm. You both make very valid points, and I totally understand both points. I guess what I'm think about though is the long history the Knicks have. Plus, its not like during the 90's the Knicks weren't giving MJ a run for his money.

I guess if I had to put my top 5 most historic and storied franchises though, it would still pan out like this.

Celtics
Lakers
Bulls
Knicks
Sixers

I guess in the end, with the Bulls still having a good history before Jordan, (like that tenacious van lier/sloan backcourt and guys like Bob Love, Clem Haskins, Chet Walker, Artis Gilmore, Reggie Theus, among others, they did have a pretty good history, just never were able to take it all.

And then the long litnay of the Knicks and 76ers makes it pretty easy for me to put them next.

JordansBulls
03-04-2009, 11:26 AM
For instance,

http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/

If you sort by total wins the top 4 are in order

Lakers
Celtics
76ers
Knicks
Pistons

If you sort by Win/Loss % then the top 4-6 are:

Lakers
Celtics
Spurs
Suns
Jazz
76ers

If you sort by years in the playoffs then the order is:

Lakers
Celtics
Sixers
Pistons
Knicks

If you sort by Division won then the order is:

Lakers
Celtics
Spurs
Bucks
Pistons
Sixers

If you sort by Conference Titles then the order is:

Lakers
Celtics
Bulls
Sixers
Pistons
Rockets

If you sort by Championships then the order is:

Celtics
Lakers
Bulls
Spurs
Pistons
Sixers

Hellcrooner
03-04-2009, 11:28 AM
When i have the time im going to do an extensive scientific research about this subject using Math.

x points per Win game x points per playoff appearance, x points for 5 cosnecutive years poff appearance -x points for 5 consecutive no plyoff eyars, x points for conference title, x points for percentage of poff years for year of team existence, etc etc etc etc et.

JordansBulls
03-04-2009, 11:37 AM
When i have the time im going to do an extensive scientific research about this subject using Math.

x points per Win game x points per playoff appearance, x points for 5 cosnecutive years poff appearance -x points for 5 consecutive no plyoff eyars, x points for conference title, x points for percentage of poff years for year of team existence, etc etc etc etc et.

It depends on how much weight you put into each category. Like is winning the most titles the most important, or is being a playoff team almost yearly and still winning a lot of titles important.

hotdogbun
03-04-2009, 11:43 AM
just because ur team has won more championships that doesnt mean ur more storied... the celtics may have won more c'ships but they have also missed the playoffs a number of times and they also sucked a number of times while the lakers have been very consistent. and the thread questions isnt "who has the most championships".

so heres my list
1. lakers
2. celtics
3. knicks
4. bulls
5. pistons

bagwell368
03-04-2009, 11:48 AM
storied != flags

Spurs for instance have flags, but its a new franchise - Pistons and 76'er are over the Spurs for instance.

Bulls had a heck of a run, and a bunch Tom Boerwinkle type teams before that...

Cool idea. I'll go:

Celts/Lakers

Bulls/76'ers

Pistons/Spurs

Knicks/Bucks/Jazz/Suns

Warriors/Sonics

Hellcrooner
03-04-2009, 11:55 AM
It depends on how much weight you put into each category. Like is winning the most titles the most important, or is being a playoff team almost yearly and still winning a lot of titles important.
yeah i will try to calibrate that properly.

in my eyes 1 title and 9 no playoffs in 10 years should weight less than 10 consecutive conference finals for example.

JordansBulls
03-04-2009, 11:57 AM
yeah i will try to calibrate that properly.

in my eyes 1 title and 9 no playoffs in 10 years should weight less than 10 consecutive conference finals for example.

I can agree with that. But only for teams that have won a title does it make sense. Like having 5 conference appearances in a row while your franchise has 2 titles should equal more than a team with 4 titles and was a 1st round exit for 8 years in a row or something like that.

stop40
03-04-2009, 12:04 PM

Agreed. How can any team that did not have Michael Jordan be a head of the Bulls?

ink
03-04-2009, 12:10 PM
Problem is, if the thread is about "storied" franchises, it's not about wins and losses and playoff appearances. A "storied" franchise can easily fall on hard times (like the Bulls have), but it's still a storied franchise because of the REKNOWN it created for itself in its glory days. At their best, the Lakers, Celtics and Bulls were better than any other franchises and that's why they are so famous. It has nothing to do with W/L or stats.

If you had said, "what are the winningest franchises" or the "most consistent playoff performers" in NBA history, you would have had a point. But all you have to do is ask a casual fan who the legends of basketball are and they will answer: Lakers, Celtics, Bulls. The older fans will know about the Knicks and Sixers, and the basketball fans will know about the Pistons, Rockets, and Spurs. It's about legend and who has it.

JordansBulls
03-04-2009, 12:10 PM
The Bulls certainly will have 2 Hall of Famers this year and next with MJ and Pippen, but other than that the only guys listed for us are guys who played pretty much all of their careers as a hall of fame player with other teams.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/LAL/hof.html

http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/BOS/hof.html

http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/CHI/hof.html

http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/NYK/hof.html

http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/PHI/hof.html

http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/DET/hof.html

http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/SAS/hof.html

The Bulls and Spurs are in the same boat in that both franchises succeeded in 1 decade primarily. Other than that, not really any other Hall of Fame players.

JordansBulls
03-04-2009, 12:13 PM
Problem is, if the thread is about "storied" franchises, it's not about wins and losses and playoff appearances. A "storied" franchise can easily fall on hard times (like the Bulls have), but it's still a storied franchise because of the REKNOWN it created for itself in its glory days. At their best, the Lakers, Celtics and Bulls were better than any other franchises and that's why they are so famous. It has nothing to do with W/L or stats.

If you had said, "what are the winningest franchises" or the "most consistent playoff performers" in NBA history, you would have had a point. But all you have to do is ask a casual fan who the legends of basketball are and they will answer: Lakers, Celtics, Bulls. The older fans will know about the Knicks and Sixers, and the basketball fans will know about the Pistons, Rockets, and Spurs. It's about legend and who has it.

Well most people only know about the Bulls because of MJ and the glory days in the 90's. Before that people couldn't tell you who the Bulls were. If any Chicago team came up they would have said the Bears or sadly the Cubs.

still1ballin
03-04-2009, 12:14 PM
toronto

ink
03-04-2009, 12:17 PM
toronto

Cruel sir, very cruel. :sigh:

Well most people only know about the Bulls because of MJ and the glory days in the 90's. Before that people couldn't tell you who the Bulls were. If any Chicago team came up they would have said the Bears or sadly the Cubs.

But in that one decade they defined basketball. Again, you didn't ask which franchise was the most consistent over their history. You asked which one was the most storied. Even the best teams and players of this decade have had a hard time getting out of the shadow of MJ, PJ, Pippen and the Bulls.

You also asked why those were the only teams to have a DVD collection. It's because of their legacy and fame.

JJ81
03-04-2009, 12:21 PM
1. Lakers.

Hellcrooner
03-04-2009, 01:02 PM
Bulls are still a classic.

there are some of us old enough to remember when they were Artis Gilmores team, one of the greatest players ever.

still1ballin
03-04-2009, 01:13 PM

:laugh:

I know I know!

lakerboy
03-04-2009, 01:16 PM
There are only two teams in the NBA

1.) The Lakers
2.) The Rest

*PEACE* :)

nyybronxborn
03-04-2009, 01:28 PM
There are only two teams in the NBA

1.) The Lakers
2.) The Rest

*PEACE* :)

your right on 1 account , but its
1) celtics
2)the rest
:clap::clap::clap:

still1ballin
03-04-2009, 01:32 PM
your right
:clap::clap::clap:

Fixed

JordansBulls
03-04-2009, 01:42 PM

But in that one decade they defined basketball. Again, you didn't ask which franchise was the most consistent over their history. You asked which one was the most storied. Even the best teams and players of this decade have had a hard time getting out of the shadow of MJ, PJ, Pippen and the Bulls.

You also asked why those were the only teams to have a DVD collection. It's because of their legacy and fame.

True,

Here is something else we can add to the topic.

Championships:

1. Celtics (17)
2. Lakers (14)
3. Bulls (6)

Finals Appearances:

1. Lakers (29)
2. Celtics (20)
3. Knicks (8)

Playoff Appearances:

1. Lakers (55)
2. Celtics (45)
3. Sixers (44)

Playoff Wins:

1. Lakers (379)
2. Celtics (285)
3. Sixers (203)

Playoff Win %:

1. Lakers (.603)
2. Bulls (.581)
3. Celtics (.580)

Regular Season Wins:

1. Lakers (2621)
2. Celtics (2612)
3. Sixers (2264)

Regular Season Win %:

1. Lakers (.619)
2. Celtics (.601)
3. Spurs (.570)

Hellcrooner
03-04-2009, 01:45 PM
mmm its losing finals really a positive?

i mean, yeah is cool you compete every day, but losing that much........

and im a laker fan i just want to be fair when i do my math research.

Hellcrooner
03-04-2009, 01:46 PM
the dvd thin may be too much based on Market....

Vidball
03-04-2009, 02:09 PM
Storied = Lakers

Wilt/West
Elgin/West
Magic/Kareem
Shaq/Kobe

The Lakers have never gone through a huge dry spell--they've made the Finals every decade and they've never gone more than a few years without having a top-20 player of all time on the team. Storied.

pd7631
03-04-2009, 02:12 PM
Championships:

1. Celtics (17)
2. Lakers (14)
3. Bulls (6)

Finals Appearances:

1. Lakers (29)
2. Celtics (20)
3. Knicks (8)

Playoff Appearances:

1. Lakers (55)
2. Celtics (45)
3. Sixers (44)

Playoff Wins:

1. Lakers (379)
2. Celtics (285)
3. Sixers (203)

Playoff Win %:

1. Lakers (.603)
2. Bulls (.581)
3. Celtics (.580)

Regular Season Wins:

1. Lakers (2621)
2. Celtics (2612)
3. Sixers (2264)

Regular Season Win %:

1. Lakers (.619)
2. Celtics (.601)
3. Spurs (.570)

I think based off these numbers it's quite evident that the top 4 should be the Celtics, Lakers, Bulls, and Sixers.

The Lakers have over time been the most consistent franchise, whereas the Celtics have had the greatest single dynasty.

I think the Bulls had the most impressive dynasty winning their 6 championships in the 90's and there's no reason to believe that they wouldn't have won 2 more had MJ not retired.

Even though I took the Knicks over the Sixers in my previous post(mainly because New York is the "Mecca" of the basketball world), I'm gonna take the Sixers as the 4th most storied franchise because you can't argue with 3rd most playoff appearances, 3rd most playoff wins, and 3rd most regular season wins.

abe_froman
03-04-2009, 03:18 PM
The Lakers have never gone through a huge dry spell
this true,i mean only missing the playoffs 5 times.....in the entire history of the franchise(that is insane)

JordansBulls
03-04-2009, 03:37 PM
Storied = Lakers

Wilt/West
Elgin/West
Magic/Kareem
Shaq/Kobe

The Lakers have never gone through a huge dry spell--they've made the Finals every decade and they've never gone more than a few years without having a top-20 player of all time on the team. Storied.

These are the only years the Lakers have not made the playoffs.

1957-1958
1974-1975
1975-1976
1993-1994
2004-2005

Hellcrooner
03-04-2009, 04:20 PM
and the 93 and 04 did not miss the poffs by too much...

JordansBulls
03-05-2009, 09:31 AM
and the 93 and 04 did not miss the poffs by too much...

True that. I'm just wondering how do the Lakers always end up with the best players and especially centers?

Hellcrooner
03-05-2009, 12:08 PM
because is a very nice `place to atract FA ( Shaq) or a place players will be willing to press to go to (wilt, kareem, kobe) , also add some draft luck (magic, worthy) and good drafting at low positions ( Van Exel, Scott, Ac Green....) And very atractive to Veterans (Mcaddo, Kutchap, wilkes, Richmond)

abe_froman
03-05-2009, 03:33 PM
True that. I'm just wondering how do the Lakers always end up with the best players and especially centers?

they are willing to part with great sums of money to get or retain them

JordansBulls
03-05-2009, 04:44 PM
they are willing to part with great sums of money to get or retain them

I see that, but other franchises get more profits and revenue as well such as the Bulls, but yet we never have any stars come here. Only reason we had stars was because we drafted them and they became stars.

JordansBulls
03-06-2009, 03:43 PM
I just found this.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41-yiIw5Q5L._SL500_AA280_.jpg

four of the greatest NBA games in Indiana Pacers franchise history as voted online by you the fans. Go back in time with all your favorite Pacers - from Rik Smits to Reggie Miller to Mark Jackson to Dale Davis. Relive No. 31's phenomenal 25-point fourth quarter against the Knicks in '94, the amazing eight points in 8.9 seconds against the Knicks, the classic 1998 playoff battle with Chicago, and the Pacers' first ever Eastern Conference championship victory.

abe_froman
03-06-2009, 03:46 PM
I see that, but other franchises get more profits and revenue as well such as the Bulls, but yet we never have any stars come here. Only reason we had stars was because we drafted them and they became stars.

thats because la is willing to spend whatever it takes to have a championship caliber team,chi isnt and the owner said he'll only spend after(to keep the group together)

JordansBulls
03-07-2009, 07:56 AM
Added a poll.

EX-TREME
03-07-2009, 10:36 AM
lakers

JordansBulls
03-07-2009, 03:39 PM
lakers

And what about the other 4 teams mentioned?

chicagowhitesox
03-07-2009, 06:27 PM
i think the bulls are right behind the celtics and lakers.

JordansBulls
03-12-2009, 12:52 PM
Hear is something I just dug up

All-Time: Playoffs Team Won-Loss Records (http://www.nba.com/history/records/alltime_team_playoff_wl.html)

If you go by Winning % then it is:

LA Lakers 397 265 0.6
Boston Celtics 304 220 0.58
Chicago Bulls 157 118 0.571
SA Spurs 153 126 0.548
Detroit Pistons 188 170 0.525
Philly 76ers 206 191 0.519
NY Knicks 179 175 0.506
Indiana Pacers 81 80 0.503
Miami Heat 53 53 0.5
Seattle Sonics 107 110 0.493
Utah Jazz 109 113 0.491
Houston Rockets 109 115 0.487
Milwaukee Bucks 101 110 0.479
Phoenix Suns 123 135 0.477
Portland Blazers 91 103 0.469
GS Warriors 104 121 0.462
Dallas Mavericks 63 75 0.457
NJ Nets 52 65 0.444
Cleveland Cavs 54 69 0.439
NOrleans Hornets 32 41 0.438
Atlanta Hawks 120 156 0.435
Sac Kings 80 107 0.428
LA Clippers 20 27 0.426
Orlando Magic 31 43 0.419
Was Wizards 77 115 0.401
Minny TWolves 17 30 0.362
Toronto Raptors 11 20 0.355
Denver Nuggets 43 79 0.352
Memphis Grizzlies 0 12 0

If you go by Total Wins than it is:

Los Angeles Lakers 397
Boston Celtics 304
Philadelphia 76ers 206
Detroit Pistons 188
New York Knicks 179
Chicago Bulls 157
San Antonio Spurs 153
Phoenix Suns 123
Atlanta Hawks 120
Utah Jazz 109
Houston Rockets 109
Seattle Sonics 107
Golden State Warriors 104
Milwaukee Bucks 101
Portland Trail Blazers 91
Indiana Pacers 81
Sacramento Kings 80
Washington Wizards 77
Dallas Mavericks 63
Cleveland Cavaliers 54
Miami Heat 53
New Jersey Nets 52
Denver Nuggets 43
NOrleans Hornets 32
Orlando Magic 31
Los Angeles Clippers 20
Minnesota TWolves 17
Toronto Raptors 11
Memphis Grizzlies 0

ULT WARRIOR408
03-12-2009, 02:29 PM
I voted other because i think the top storied franchises are celtics,lakers,bulls & maybe the knicks but the buck stops there. The sixers aren't storied. There known for dr.j thats it. Oh yeah iverson & thats where barkley started at.:bang::no:

JordansBulls
03-12-2009, 03:17 PM
I voted other because i think the top storied franchises are celtics,lakers,bulls & maybe the knicks but the buck stops there. The sixers aren't storied. There known for dr.j thats it. Oh yeah iverson & thats where barkley started at.:bang::no:

Ever heard of Wilt and Moses Malone?

Giaps
03-12-2009, 03:22 PM
The thing with the Bulls is that their entire history and titles take place in the span of 10 years.

abe_froman
03-12-2009, 03:22 PM
Ever heard of Wilt and Moses Malone?

bored so i'll add a couple more to yours..hal greer,chet walker as well

JordansBulls
03-12-2009, 03:44 PM
bored so i'll add a couple more to yours..hal greer,chet walker as well

I listed the other 2 because they were generally top 3-5 in the league yearly.

ULT WARRIOR408
03-12-2009, 05:34 PM
That still don't make the sixers storied & the may or not be in the conversation. Depending on how you look at it:box::badidea::crazy:

abe_froman
03-12-2009, 05:59 PM
the lakers cant be #1. Now if we're talking about the most storied bandwagon with fake fans and rigged games in their favor, then it would have to be the lakers

why cant they be number 1?
they have the most number of legends,highest level of talent among those legends,2nd most champs,most playoffs appearances,most div and conference champ.'s,highest win%,highest playoff win%...

abe_froman
03-12-2009, 06:02 PM
That still don't make the sixers storied & the may or not be in the conversation. Depending on how you look at it:box::badidea::crazy:

and what does?

..unless your a hater and just deny them no matter what

Super.
03-12-2009, 06:13 PM
Celtics, Lakers, Bulls, 76ers, Knicks

MVPedroia
03-12-2009, 06:48 PM
1. Celtics
2. Lakers
3. The Rest

JordansBulls
03-12-2009, 07:09 PM
the lakers cant be #1. Now if we're talking about the most storied bandwagon with fake fans and rigged games in their favor, then it would have to be the lakers

Why couldn't they be?

pd7631
03-12-2009, 07:17 PM

You, my friend....are an idiot

Dolph Schayes, Hal Greer, Wilt Chamberlain, Julius Erving, Moses Malone, Maurice Cheeks, Andrew Toney(the Boston Strangler), Charles Barkley, Allen Iverson.

Hmmm, it seems to me that the Sixers have had a lot of great players other than Dr. J.

If you look at JordansBulls win chart that he put up, you'd see that the Sixers have the 3rd most wins ever.

2 Championships....9 Conference Championships

Let's not forget about the 67' Sixers championship team:

Led by head coach Alex Hannum, the 76ers had a dream season as they started 464, en route to a record of 6813, the best record in league history at the time. Chamberlain, Billy Cunningham, and Hal Greer, along with all-stars Chet Walker, Lucious Jackson and Wali Jones led the team to the Eastern Conference finals. This time, with the Celtics aging and hurt, the 76ers beat the Celtics in five games. In Game Five of that series, as the 76ers went to victory and the NBA Finals, rabid Philadelphia fans chanted "Boston is dead!"a symbol that the Celts' eight-year reign as NBA champion had ended. The Finals were almost anticlimatic, with the Sixers ousting the Warriors in six games to give them their first NBA Championship. The 1966-67 Sixers were voted the best team in league history during the NBA's 35th anniversary celebration.

source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philadelphia_76ers

Oh, and not only did the 76ers have the distinction of being the "best" team in NBA history. They also have the worst record in NBA history, going 9-73 in 1972-1973(not really a good thing, but definitely adds to the "story").

So for you to say that the buck stops after the Bulls/Knicks, says to me how little you know about the history of the game.

p.s.-the Sixers are gonna play they're last game at the Spectrum this Friday. So another one of the great arenas is about to go down. I believe MSG will be the last one standing after the Spectrum goes.

pd7631
03-12-2009, 07:18 PM

You can't take away from what the franchise accomplished because of their fans. Although I do agree with your description of their fans:smoking:

NYMetros
03-12-2009, 07:21 PM
1 Celtics = 17

2 Lakers= 14

3 Bulls= 6

4 Spurs = 4

then the rest.

:nod:

NYMetros
03-12-2009, 07:22 PM

Is this a joke?

cmoneytakemoney
03-12-2009, 07:34 PM
What about the Spurs and Pistons. I'd say Celtics, Lakers, Bulls, Spurs, Pistons.

G-Funk
03-12-2009, 07:42 PM

Championships are not that important. If that were the case Bill Russell would be the best player in NBA history, because of all the rings won. But Jordan is still considered the best by most because he achieved everything there is to achieve and that's where I relate the Lakers franchise, they don't have the most rings but they are better in every other aspect, makes sence?

kswissdaf
03-12-2009, 07:55 PM
Knicks are overrated

G-Funk
03-12-2009, 07:58 PM

In your 39 posts you have posted more disses on Lakers, than what u have posted on your favorite teams forum.

JordansBulls
03-12-2009, 09:01 PM
Championships are not that important. If that were the case Bill Russell would be the best player in NBA history, because of all the rings won. But Jordan is still considered the best by most because he achieved everything there is to achieve and that's where I relate the Lakers franchise, they don't have the most rings but they are better in every other aspect, makes sence?

Pretty good explanation.

ULT WARRIOR408
03-12-2009, 11:25 PM
Championships makes you a storied team & how do the sixers have & your the hater.:smoking::box:

abe_froman
03-13-2009, 12:23 AM
Championships makes you a storied team & how do the sixers have & your the hater.:smoking::box:

because you have the knicks,who have less championships than the sixers.so your critera of all about championships you have to include sixers or drop the knicks...also you left off spurs who have more then either

Soxfan54
03-13-2009, 10:22 AM
1.lakers
2.c's
3.philly
4.knicks
5.detroit

Detroit over the bulls, youre nuts

JordansBulls
03-13-2009, 12:27 PM
Well the Knicks were good late 60's to mid 70's and then early 90's to late 90's.
Sixers were good mid-late 60's and late 70's to mid to late 80's and then the '01-02 season.

Spurs were good from early 90's till now with the exception of the 1997 year when Robinson was injured.