PDA

View Full Version : NBA Mock Trade Deadline Round 1 Suns-Nuggets

fins08
03-03-2009, 07:37 AM
Suns have homecourt advantage

PLEASE LOOK AT THE ROSTERS! THESE ARE NOT REAL TEAMS, SO PLEASE VOTE ON WHO WOULD WIN IN A 7 GAME SERIES!

Suns (http://www.prosportsdaily.com/forums/showpost.php?p=8255199&postcount=13)
Nuggets (http://www.prosportsdaily.com/forums/showpost.php?p=8270245&postcount=26)

Thanks, and good luck. Poll closes at 8:00 PM EST

Suns

PG: Derrick Rose/Ramon Sessions/Gordon Dragic
SG: Caron Butler/Anthony Parker/Mike James
SF: Luol Deng/Rasual Butler
PF: David West/Channing Frye/Luis Amundson
C: Andrew Bogut/Joel Pryzbilla/Robin Lopez

Nuggets

PG: Billups/ Carter
SG: Foye/ McCants/ Jones/
SF: Anthony/ Kleiza/ Balkman
PF: Martin/ Anderson
C: Nene/ Petro/ Hunter

fins08
03-03-2009, 07:38 AM
Pheonix Suns 1st Round Write-Up:
I took a team that was old, in cap trouble, and was slipping out of contention and made them younger, cheaper, and better.

Derrick Rose VS Chauncey Billups:

Chauncey is better, i'm not going to deny it. He is Mr. Big Shot. BUT Derrick Rose is going to be the ROY, and is one of the best young rising PG in the league. He led his team back from 17 down in the 4th against a top 5 defensive team. he can penetrae, dribble, pass, defend, and shoot. he will battle it out with chauncey all series and give him more trouble than alot of other PG would.

Caron Butler VS Randy Foye

Caron is better. flat out better. No explanation needed. But his talent isnt all that's better. he is more experienced than foye. His made the playoffs before, but foye hasnt even been on a team that has finished above .500 in his career. No threat here from the opposition.

Luol Deng VS Carmelo Anthony

Carmelo is a superstar, i can't argue that, but luol deng is a star on the rise. He is an extremely underrated defender, and is a really good team player.

David West VS Kenyon Martin

Is there any debate here? really? David West is an all-star and Kenyon Martin is one of the biggest busts in recent draft history. Many will argue that west is a product of CP3. I tend to disagree, but if you look at it that way, Rose is the perfect replacement for him. Rose has a similar playmaking ability. Plus its KENYON MARTIN. c'mon, seriously?

Andrew Bogut VS Nene

I would call this one a wash. Nene is a better scorer, shooting 61% and scoring 15 PPG, but bogut is no slouch either, shooting 58% and scoring 12 PPG. Bogut is a better rebounder, averaging 10 rebounds VS nene's 7. Neither of them is overly great on defense, so i call it a wash.

Bench:

i'd say i have a better bench. with experienced vets like anthony parker and joel pryzbilla, along with a young up and comer in ramon sessions, ill have no problem scoring off the bench. The nuggets have McCants, Klieza, and Anderson being his go toguys off the bench, i justdont think he has enough fire power when his starters go out of the game

Round 1 Write up vs Suns

PG: Billups vs Rose: Currently there is little doubt that Billups is a better pg than Rose. Billups has been the leader of a championship team while rose while talented is a rookie. Rookies tend to make many mistakes in there first year but this is best seen in the post season. Billups has handled the pressure and knows how to exploit the weakneeses of young inexperienced players. Billups ability to not only hit the jumper at will but also step back for a 3 makes him very diffircult to guard. Billups with his great defense can play off Rose a bit to ensure he is not beaten off the dribble. We dont have to worry about rose on the 3pt line as he is only shooting 25% this year from there. Easy edge to the Nuggets.

SG: Foye vs Butler: A very interesting matchup. Caron Butler currently is probably the more talented player but he is playing out of position. Butler plays SF because he cant keep up with smaller and quicker guards like Foye. Foye is always active on defense and will prevent any easy looks Butler may see. Foye's ability to step out and hit the 3 should force butler to play Foye close and allow foye to use his quick first step to get to the basket... This will force butler to call for help defense from the post and allow for some easy baskets for Nene and Martin off Foye's passes . Foye also has the ability play PG when McCants or Kleiza come in at SG which only gives this nuggets team more optiions to throw at the suns... The biggest problem with this suns team is the lack of 3 point shooting the backcourt offers. No starter is a threat unless they are within 24 feet of the basket.

SF: Anthony vs Deng: A Clear advantage for the Nuggets. Deng has been awful this year, consistently injured and has had trouble being a consistent scorer. Anthony should expose Deng with his Strong perimeter game and his ability to get to the basket. I really see this as a macthup where Anthony could average 30-35 pts in the series. Anthony is the only player in this series that has the ability to take over a game at any time and force a double team from the defense. When the defense doubles Anthony, it only opens up shots for the many sharp shooters the nuggets have.

PF: Martin vs West: Another great matchup. Martin has seen a resurgence in his game this season, he is getting to the basket at a high percentage (just under 50%) and is holding his own well on defense. Martin this year is already averaging over a block and a steal a game. He gets after loose balls and never gives an inch while defending his check. West should get his points this series but Martin will make it very difficult for him. West has been the product of a great pass first pg with Chris Paul. Without Paul look for West to have a significant drop in his point production. This will be an even matchup..

C: Nene vs Bogut: Nene after battling injuries has come together this year. He has been one of the best bigmen in the west. He shoots a high percentage, 60% and always cleans up the missed shot attempts of his teamates. Nene is one player this series that the Suns have to box out at all time or they will pay for it, Nene uses his quickness to get in front of his check and get in great position for offensive boards. He is averaging 2.5 per contest this season. Bogut on the other hand has has trouble finding his shot on offense and most of all cant stay healthy. Bogut while talented has seen his offensive numbers drop due to longering injuries which has forced Bogut to not play a physical style of game. Nene should expose Boguts inability to run the court and nene will get some easy points in transition. Edge Nuggets.

Nuggets Bench vs Suns Bench: Each bench offers its own talened group of players. The nuggets bench has McCants, Kleiza and Anderson while Parker, Sessions and Pryzbilla anchor the Suns. McCants and Kleiza are both players that have the ability to go off for 20 points each any night. Both are great shooters which only forces the suns to extend their defense out further to hold the nuggets shooters in check. Anderson is a high energy player off my bench who provides shot blocking and rebounding. He plays above the rim and has an act for cleaning up the glass. I really do like my bench in this matchup as each nugget player knows his role on this team and how to conrtibute in an efficent way.

Nuggets Take this series in 6..

writeups

Duncan = Donkey
03-03-2009, 08:29 AM
suns

nygiants242
03-03-2009, 08:30 AM
:shrug: This is really close IMO

Mile High Champ
03-03-2009, 11:28 AM
Wow I cant believe I am down.. I really do think my team is stronger than the suns.. But I knew part of this was going to be a popularity contest.. I knew that suns would get some votes because he has Rose...

hotdogbun
03-03-2009, 11:31 AM
voted nuggets

deng floutout sucks and he aint underated his overated

bidi_nash
03-03-2009, 12:32 PM
i voted suns but it couldve gone either way

DenButsu
03-03-2009, 01:20 PM
MHC, am I reading things right that you made just a single trade? Nugs look nearly intact. (FWIW, in this game I don't know whether that's good, bad or neither, just an observation).

VCaintdead17
03-03-2009, 01:46 PM
Nuggets.

celticfan
03-03-2009, 01:55 PM
tough pick. but like the nuggs

Stormblast
03-03-2009, 02:25 PM
2 questions:

Why do the Suns get home court advantage?

Why does the nuggets roster look almost the same to what they have now except they now have Foye and McCants while the Suns lineup is almost completely modified?

superkegger
03-03-2009, 02:37 PM
I'll take the nuggets. We know how good they are, and I think they perhaps just solidified their sg spot a little more. That's arguable, but whatever. However, the nuggets matchup well here, chauncey and Melo would eat Rose and Deng alive.

still1ballin
03-03-2009, 02:38 PM
Mike James on the Suns team, Suns win

Mile High Champ
03-03-2009, 04:34 PM
MHC, am I reading things right that you made just a single trade? Nugs look nearly intact. (FWIW, in this game I don't know whether that's good, bad or neither, just an observation).

The nuggets are a very hard team to work with. I wanted to treat the mock trade deadline as in fact a real deadline. The nuggets team was already solid and wanted to try and make it better. The problem was that everyone wanted Billups or Anthony and I was not going to trade them.. That left me with few options with JR Smith and Nene giving me the most value in a trade. I was prepared to trade Nene and another young wing player plus a pick for a proven allstar big but no deal ever developed. Kenyon Martin while a good starter was not a desired player for many teams, especially those rebuilding as he still has two years on his deal over 15 million. Had I had a few expiring contracts to work with things could of maybe been different.. I thought I made the nuggets better and would of wished to bring in a big but the asking price was too high.. Hope that answers your question..

Cheers

Catfish1314
03-03-2009, 05:13 PM
The Nuggets are a top tier Western Conference team right now and that team only got better. The Suns made some great moves and are very deep, but the Nuggets take this in 6.

KnicksorBust
03-03-2009, 05:28 PM
The Nuggets are a top tier Western Conference team right now and that team only got better. The Suns made some great moves and are very deep, but the Nuggets take this in 6.

x2

Rose vs. Chauncey in the playoffs? Come on. I don't buy Chauncey/Melo losing in round 1.

astrosmaniac
03-03-2009, 05:41 PM
2 questions:

Why does the nuggets roster look almost the same to what they have now except they now have Foye and McCants while the Suns lineup is almost completely modified?

1) because the voters put my team higher than their team in playoff team voting

2) because they chose to keep their team largely intact while i chose to completely redo my team and go in a new direction

Mile High Champ
03-03-2009, 05:47 PM
1) because the voters put my team higher than their team in playoff team voting

2) because they chose to keep their team largely intact while i chose to completely redo my team and go in a new direction

I tried to take the mock deadline as a serious thing not just about making a fantasy team.. Thats why my team is intact..

unwantedplayer
03-03-2009, 05:53 PM
The Nuggets. Billups is a veteran and knows how to run a team. Rose is developing. Anthony would also destroy Deng.

astrosmaniac
03-03-2009, 06:05 PM
I tried to take the mock deadline as a serious thing not just about making a fantasy team.. Thats why my team is intact..

which is what i just said. you chose to play it that way. just a different philosophy

hotpotato1092
03-03-2009, 06:12 PM

Well from a team building standpoint it doesn't make a difference but it gets you on the wrong side of plenty of GMs, particularly the more active ones. That could cost him some votes

2 questions:

1. I don't know I think the Nuggs are better

2. Because Astromaniac chose to be more active and do more trades with his team then MHC did with his.

Sportfan
03-03-2009, 07:04 PM
damn this is close

homestarunner93
03-03-2009, 07:30 PM
Nuggets easily. I'm suprised they're down here.

Mile High Champ
03-03-2009, 07:57 PM
Nuggets easily. I'm suprised they're down here.

Thats what I thought.. I guess the D.Rose fan club came out in full force for the suns.... I am only a few back, hopefully I can get it done and into the next round..

celticfan
03-03-2009, 08:04 PM
Rose is just a rookie. Billups has won a finals mvp and knows how to get it done in the playoffs. The nuggets in my mind should be ahead in the votes

KnicksorBust
03-03-2009, 08:04 PM
wow I thought when I checked back the Nuggets would have overtaken this. There's two reasons why it's a no brainer:

1. Logic - This nuggets team would have a ton of chemistry from the fact that they played together all this year
2. Chauncey Billups - When is the last time this guy got bounced in the first round?

Plus I hated the other write-up, you don't win by trashing another team. He ripped Kenyon Martin to shreds but he's bounced back in his career to a solid starting PF again.

VCaintdead17
03-03-2009, 08:07 PM
wow I thought when I checked back the Nuggets would have overtaken this. There's two reasons why it's a no brainer:

1. Logic - This nuggets team would have a ton of chemistry from the fact that they played together all this year
2. Chauncey Billups - When is the last time this guy got bounced in the first round?

Plus I hated the other write-up, you don't win by trashing another team. He ripped Kenyon Martin to shreds but he's bounced back in his career to a solid starting PF again.

AMEN :worthy:

Mile High Champ
03-03-2009, 08:09 PM

Well I hope I can get a few more votes before its over...

DocUSN
03-03-2009, 08:16 PM
Thats what I thought.. I guess the D.Rose fan club came out in full force for the suns.... I am only a few back, hopefully I can get it done and into the next round..

Rose is just a rookie. Billups has won a finals mvp and knows how to get it done in the playoffs. The nuggets in my mind should be ahead in the votes

Yeah Rose is a rookie, I'm not a huge fan of Rose or Rookie PG's at all, but the suns still have a better team, Butler and Deng can both play both ways, neither is a liabilty on either end of the floor, and both can take over for stretfches.

The susn have the obvious advantage in the post, West Bogut and Pryzbilia Frye off the bench.

And depth goes to the Suns as well.

Suns in 6 easy as pie.

fins08
03-03-2009, 09:27 PM
suns win a close one

KB24PG16
03-03-2009, 09:55 PM
Mike James on the Suns team, Suns win

thats exactly what i thought

I Stole Home
03-03-2009, 10:25 PM
Very close i chose the Suns.