PDA

View Full Version : Can't the Celtics cut someone to sign Gooden or Smith?

Boston Faithful
03-02-2009, 09:25 PM
Really - as a Celtics fan this would be such a smart move.

Cut Giddens, Walker, Pruitt or even Mikki Moore who they just signed to open up a roster spot for Gooden or Smith. With additions of Marbury and Gooden or Smith the Celtics would be loaded on the bench. Either one of these guys is a major upgrade from Mikki Moore.

Patience is a virtue.

Chronz
03-02-2009, 09:28 PM
I get the feeling they didnt think either of those guys would be available hence the rushed signing, but its too late now Id think. To cut someone and sign someone else, Thats giving up alot of money. But I would do it, they need either of those guys. Mikki was a terrible move. Maybe they knew they wouldnt be able to afford either of them.

Boston Faithful
03-02-2009, 09:39 PM
I get the feeling they didnt think either of those guys would be available hence the rushed signing, but its too late now Id think. To cut someone and sign someone else, Thats giving up alot of money. But I would do it, they need either of those guys. Mikki was a terrible move. Maybe they knew they wouldnt be able to afford either of them.

It'd cost them like 2 million dollars total after the pro-rated veterans minimum and releasing one of those guys and it's totally worth it. A bench lineup of Marbury, House, Tony Allen, Smith/Gooden, Big Baby and Powe would be excellent. Smith or Gooden truly could fill in for PJ Brown.

rsboston007
03-02-2009, 09:46 PM
they shouldnt have signed mikki moore he has been terrible so far they should have waited to see who else was going to be out there

greatest2
03-02-2009, 09:47 PM
what would be the point?? they wouldnt be able to use him in the playoffs. N im pretty sure its better to have Mikki Moore in the playoffs than Gooden in just the regular season

JordansBulls
03-02-2009, 09:47 PM

Getting Gooden would be better, but he may end up back in Cleveland especially with Wallace out.

superkegger
03-02-2009, 09:51 PM
Its unlikely the Celtics will land either Gooden or Smith.

CHief_0_o_Wahoo
03-02-2009, 09:52 PM
I doubt they do it, because they are more then likely just going to stick with what they got.

mrblisterdundee
03-02-2009, 09:56 PM
Gooden would have been a better pick-up than Mikki Moore. He is a consistent post player. He's a top target for contending teams right now.

greatest2
03-02-2009, 10:01 PM
I wish he would go to the celtics, if not the cavs, but spurs would be ok to. i really dont want the lakers to win the championship

Super.
03-02-2009, 10:13 PM
they could, but then they wouldnt be able to use him in the playoffs correct?

just just moore a lil more time

greatest2
03-02-2009, 10:16 PM
^ i thought the same thing, but it turns out they just have to be waived by that time. i think they said they have til the end of the month to sign them

handbanana55
03-02-2009, 10:19 PM
Damn dude U can't sign everybody

DocUSN
03-02-2009, 10:50 PM
I see Gooded in SA and Smith in CLE

Gooden didn't leave the Cavs on great terms, don't see him winding up back there at all.

GodsSon
03-02-2009, 10:52 PM
are celtic fans really that fearful about their current bench? making threads about this sort of stuff just makes the team look pathetic...you picked up marbury and moore, if that isnt good enough, too bad, no more freebies...lol unbelievable

greatest2
03-02-2009, 11:08 PM
are celtic fans really that fearful about their current bench? making threads about this sort of stuff just makes the team look pathetic...you picked up marbury and moore, if that isnt good enough, too bad, no more freebies...lol unbelievable

they are not fearful about their bench, but they know that they dont have what they did last year. Marbury is indeed help, but he is no Posey, he is a guy who hasnt played in months and is not a sure thing that will work. and Moore in no PJ Brown. the people know this, it doesnt take a genious to figure it out. Imagine how the Lakers would be if they lost Ariza...dont you think they would really want someone who is more than halfway decent, to fill his shoes??

bostncelts34
03-03-2009, 12:13 AM
Neither of these will happen. The celtics are set with what they got. It'll take a little time for Marbs and Mikki to get into the swing of things. Still got 25 more games until playoffs.

still1ballin
03-03-2009, 12:30 AM
They might as well sign the whole free agent list while they are at it.

king4day
03-03-2009, 01:10 AM
The Celtics acted quickly to get moore, and it was the right thing to do. Until yesterday, there was rumor that neither Smith nor Gooden were going to get bought out.
When healthy, the C's can win without Moore. Having him is a bonus.

op12
03-03-2009, 01:13 AM
starbury and moore will be fine. gooden likes to have the ball too much. that would be ok for 2nd string but take away from house and starburys shots. plus he would probably want more pt, he is still fairly young with something to prove where moore will just hustle and play hard to win. that is really all we need off the bench. the backup guards will score and baby or powe or both will score some each game. powe will step it up come playoffs. im happy with what we have.

bostncelts34
03-03-2009, 10:37 AM
Really - as a Celtics fan this would be such a smart move.

Cut Giddens, Walker, Pruitt or even Mikki Moore who they just signed to open up a roster spot for Gooden or Smith. With additions of Marbury and Gooden or Smith the Celtics would be loaded on the bench. Either one of these guys is a major upgrade from Mikki Moore.

Patience is a virtue.

Also, i would NEVER cut giddens and definitly not walker to make room for a guy for 30 games. Walker definitly has a very bright future. This team cant just keep letting young talent go for veterans. They def. gotta find a way to incorporate some of this young talent next year, to make sure they have a team there when the big 3 start declining in a few years

dwiduck
03-03-2009, 10:46 AM
I see Gooded in SA and Smith in CLE

Gooden didn't leave the Cavs on great terms, don't see him winding up back there at all.

actually he left on very good terms and spoke earlier in the season about wanting to play for cleveland again

hotdogbun
03-03-2009, 10:47 AM
cant the cletics just stay with their current team?

Big Quett
03-03-2009, 11:05 AM
what would be the point?? they wouldnt be able to use him in the playoffs. N im pretty sure its better to have Mikki Moore in the playoffs than Gooden in just the regular season

Players dont have to be signed by March 1. As long as players are waived before March 1st they are eligible for the playoffs. They could sign someone the last day of the season as long as that player wasn't on an NBA roster after March 1st. Like a D Leauge player or a retired free agent or something. That is why Robert Horry's name has come up lately.

Hellcrooner
03-03-2009, 11:34 AM
there should be a rule about this thing, its getting annoying, whats the use for a salary cap or the draft if you can just et bought out get yoru money and jump like a coward on the team that has the look to eb a winer? cassell, pj brown, moore, marbury, etc etc

BUNCH OF COWARDS!!!

jbterrelle
03-03-2009, 11:48 AM
^ I agree 100% Hellcrooner

Corey
03-03-2009, 12:00 PM
Hypothetically, they could..But I think their happy with the team they have right now. They need to focus on getting the current bench flowing.

op12
03-03-2009, 12:59 PM
there should be a rule about this thing, its getting annoying, whats the use for a salary cap or the draft if you can just et bought out get yoru money and jump like a coward on the team that has the look to eb a winer? cassell, pj brown, moore, marbury, etc etc

BUNCH OF COWARDS!!!

you wouldnt be saying this if the lakers signed any of them. plus pj came out of retirement, not bought out. i agree that it is getting a little excessive lately with players being bought out but its not just the celtics, they wont sign smith or gooden. but it is all about money in this time period and i think that is why there are so many buyouts. look at mycdess going to the nuggets only to be immediately let go. sometimes just doesnt make sense.

Hellcrooner
03-03-2009, 01:05 PM
i would still complain if the lakers got one of them, is not fair for the rest of the league.

if there are draft rules and salary rules and cap, this kind of signings should not be alowed, and MUCh less should be allowed the mcdyess thing.

IF NOT then lets go free market, no draft, no cap, no maximum contract restrictions.

Nighthawk
03-03-2009, 01:34 PM
i would still complain if the lakers got one of them, is not fair for the rest of the league.

if there are draft rules and salary rules and cap, this kind of signings should not be alowed, and MUCh less should be allowed the mcdyess thing.

IF NOT then lets go free market, no draft, no cap, no maximum contract restrictions.

No cap, no draft, because players can be cut or bought out and go to a new team? ur ********... damn foreigners :pity:

greatest2
03-03-2009, 07:22 PM

it has nothing to do with the salary cap. the teams still have to pay the player quite a bit of money, just not as much. It no way effects rge draft or maximum contracts

JPHX
03-03-2009, 08:09 PM
why??? Celts are already good. not to mention you guys claimed two top FA already. save some for the sucky teams.

philab
03-03-2009, 08:35 PM
Take solace in the fact that Mikki Moore has long been a thorn in the Cavaliers' side.

I think there's some sort of salary issue keeping the Celtics from cutting a player to pick up Gooden or Smith. Guaranteed money or lack of a MLE or space to sign someone or something. It's a virtual impossibility from what I gather.