PDA

View Full Version : Would they Cancel an NBA Season if......

ProdigyI
03-02-2009, 04:49 PM
One of the NBA team's plane crashed ala Marshall college football team.

Lets say Celtics or Lakers or Bulls for that matter crashed....Do you think the NBA would cancel the season.

I mean I just don't see how they can continue with the season if you ask me. What do you think they would do?

MilfHunter07
03-02-2009, 04:52 PM
ya probably for a couple of weeks or something like that but not cancel a whole season

_Sn1P3r_
03-02-2009, 04:54 PM
I would think so. :shrug: Just for safety precautions so it won't happen again.

asmarks18
03-02-2009, 04:55 PM
Why would you post a thread like this. What if it really happens? think about good things. Not about 15 stellar athletes dying in a plane crash. And they would probably suspend all the games for about a month.

NIUHuskies
03-02-2009, 04:57 PM
I would think so. :shrug: Just for safety precautions so it won't happen again.

So a plane wouldn't crash again?

It's a one time freak accident albeit a terrible one. They would probably postpone games for a few weeks then continue the season.

superkegger
03-02-2009, 04:59 PM
I doubt they cancel the season. Not to be heartless, but financially, cancelling the season would destroy the nba.

asmarks18
03-02-2009, 04:59 PM
They would have to redo the schedules. It would take more than a couple of weeks i imagine.

abe_froman
03-02-2009, 05:00 PM
the whole season,maybe not.but for a month or so i think so

NIUHuskies
03-02-2009, 05:01 PM
They would have to redo the schedules. It would take more than a couple of weeks i imagine.

Why not just cancel all future games to be played against that team and discount any previous games played against the team?

Wouldn't take long....and who would complain?

asmarks18
03-02-2009, 05:05 PM
Why not just cancel all future games to be played against that team and discount any previous games played against the team?

I guess that would work. I wasn't thinking about discount previous games so good thinking.

ProdigyI
03-02-2009, 05:07 PM

Well some teams play eachother more than others. So even if you were to cancel the future and past games against that team, wouldn't the records be uneven then?

JordansBulls
03-02-2009, 05:07 PM
I think the bigger question is what happens if it was in the playoffs?

Does the one team advance by default? What happens if it was the NBA finals? What if the one team that was up 3-0 was in that situation? Does the team that was down 0-3 get the NBA title now by default or would they have to play the team that the other team beat to get to the finals?

NIUHuskies
03-02-2009, 05:14 PM
I think the bigger question is what happens if it was in the playoffs?

Does the one team advance by default? What happens if it was the NBA finals? What if the one team that was up 3-0 was in that situation? Does the team that was down 0-3 get the NBA title now by default or would they have to play the team that the other team beat to get to the finals?

If it happened in the Finals I bet they would cancel the series. No player would want to win a title by default like that. The NBA also wouldn't want to take it away from the fans of that city by deciding to replay against another team either.

NIUHuskies
03-02-2009, 05:16 PM
Well some teams play eachother more than others. So even if you were to cancel the future and past games against that team, wouldn't the records be uneven then?

You can still seed teams by winning percentage. I can't really think that they would cancel games in order to even out the teams games played. Would cost too much money for the teams.

SpeedReed
03-02-2009, 05:16 PM
no way they can cancel the season. too much responsibility to season ticket holders and sponsors, etc. there would be some rescheduling, but after brief mourning, things would pick up. best way to heal is to move on. best for everyone.

playoffs would be strange. might have to cancel the season. can't imagine recovering that quickly.

NIUHuskies
03-02-2009, 05:19 PM
Maybe have the teams from the conference play each other more to even out the games played difference.

SpeedReed
03-02-2009, 05:20 PM
then what happens to the owner of the organization, etc?

would they need to treat the franchise like an expansion team and have a draft?

alot to think about. what a thought.

hotpotato1092
03-02-2009, 05:27 PM
First of all, why would you post this thread? Why would you even think about something like this? Anyway here's what would happen: The league would suspend play for about a month, schedules would be redone and the season would go on. The team that it happened to would be treated as an expansion team in the offseason, there would be an expansion draft for them to pick new players and would either receive the first pick automatically or would have the most ping pong balls in the lottery. Seriously though, why post this?

Frrrrank!!!
03-02-2009, 05:33 PM
I would be so depressed if that happened.

The Panch
03-02-2009, 05:36 PM
I dont think they would cancel the season, maybe suspend it for 2 weeks tops, the NBA would be ruined if it cancelled the season.

Wilson
03-02-2009, 05:47 PM
I doubt they cancel the season. Not to be heartless, but financially, cancelling the season would destroy the nba.

I agree, especially considering the current state of the economy.

I don't know what they'd do if it was in the play-offs/finals.

BIGDRE24
03-02-2009, 05:53 PM
why post something like this??...i dont even want to think about something like that!!! just horrible

IDB Josh M
03-02-2009, 08:43 PM
If it happened in the Finals I bet they would cancel the series. No player would want to win a title by default like that. The NBA also wouldn't want to take it away from the fans of that city by deciding to replay against another team either.

Doubt it. Even if it were the 0 - 3 team to perish, the other team would definitely forfeit the championship to the other team, and call it the worse ending to a season.

Jaji
03-02-2009, 08:53 PM
One of the NBA team's plane crashed ala Marshall college football team.

Lets say Celtics or Lakers or Bulls for that matter crashed....Do you think the NBA would cancel the season.

I mean I just don't see how they can continue with the season if you ask me. What do you think they would do?

I doubt they would cancel the season. They may just have the team forfeit all their games or maybe even get "replacements". It would be very tragic though.

ARMIN12NBA
03-02-2009, 08:58 PM
It almost happened to the Lakers with West, Baylor, etc. (they did crash land...but in a corn field and they luckily survived). Truthfully, I don't think they would cancel the entire season, but it would be very sad.

Spurred1
03-02-2009, 08:58 PM
The season wouldn't be canceled due to the money involved. There would be a break, I'm sure-out of respect for those that died. If it happened during the playoffs, who knows. But no self respecting team is going to want to get a championship that way-it would be tainted to a certain extent.

albertc86
03-02-2009, 09:03 PM
I doubt the entire season would be canceled. At the end of the day, the NBA is still a business and it would lose a lot of money if that were to happen. Removing morals from your question --- it would depend on the team --- and more specifically if the team comes from a big market (L.A., NY, etc). A team doing horrible with attendance would probably be relocated temporarily to the city that suffered the loss. This would be the wisest choice on the part of the commissioner.

KB24PG16
03-02-2009, 09:13 PM
dude whats up with these threads so negative threads coopers wife and now this wtf

jnb58
03-02-2009, 09:17 PM
No. They would cancel a couple games but get back on the court. They probably wouldn't be expected put a team forth until the next season. I hope that they would be treated like a new franchise.

FunctionalAware
03-02-2009, 09:24 PM
other than a little scheduling problem, the nba would use it as a marketing ploy....moments of silence followed by memorabilia and such for the lost players not to mention their brand themselves as a charity to raise money for the players families. trust me, a few games would be lost but stern would capitalize as much as he could on the tragedy.

CHief_0_o_Wahoo
03-02-2009, 09:57 PM
I always think about what would happen too. I think they wouldn't, but wow would there be a weird atmosphere in every game.

NIUHuskies
03-03-2009, 03:05 AM
The team would have to replace its dead players with live players. Maybe a bunch of d-leaguers and free agents would make up the team.
Let's start creating weird scenarios involving plane crashes and players people don't like. I would put Tracy McGrady, Zach Randolph, Stephon Marbury, David Stern, and many others in a big 747; make them think they're being pampered. There would be serial rapists on board who would keep the boys company until the nose dive into the Atlantic.

Fail.

abe_froman
03-03-2009, 03:08 AM
then what happens to the owner of the organization, etc?

would they need to treat the franchise like an expansion team and have a draft?

alot to think about. what a thought.

yes,it would be a supplemental draft(like with exp teams)

ElMarroAfamado
03-03-2009, 05:41 AM
there are so many cool things to talk about involving the NBA
why do you have to come up with something so horrible

king4day
03-03-2009, 09:43 AM
First note: I don't think there's anything wrong with a thread like this. As negative as it is, it is a real possibility with every team for every sport. So it really is a good question.

I was thinking maybe they'd take the D-league affiliate of said team and let them finish the season, but then I realized that'd be pretty cruel to the city, those who passed, their families, and the players that are replacing them.

It would be treated like an expansion team I'm sure. Give them a high pick and let them draft through other teams.

MAYBE the NBA would ask to change the team name in respect of the player passed. Not likely, but a big tribute of sorts would certainly happen.

Yogi
03-03-2009, 10:21 AM
That'd suck.

Stormblast
03-03-2009, 11:22 AM
The team would have to replace its dead players with live players. Maybe a bunch of d-leaguers and free agents would make up the team.
Let's start creating weird scenarios involving plane crashes and players people don't like. I would put Tracy McGrady, Zach Randolph, Stephon Marbury, David Stern, and many others in a big 747; make them think they're being pampered. There would be serial rapists on board who would keep the boys company until the nose dive into the Atlantic.

You sir are an insensitive prick. How about substituting those people for just yourself? F'n douchebag

theuuord
03-03-2009, 01:58 PM

Redoing the schedules would take seconds. All they need is a computer program to reconfigure it.

And yes. Let's not talk about this. The NBA should have a plan, but that doesn't mean we as fans have to.

Julio Zuleta
03-03-2009, 02:12 PM
Redoing the schedules would take seconds. All they need is a computer program to reconfigure it.

And yes. Let's not talk about this. The NBA should have a plan, but that doesn't mean we as fans have to.

we can talk about what ever the hell we want. who made you king

Stormblast
03-03-2009, 02:15 PM

And its overreactions like this that start senseless arguments and hate fests over the internet

theuuord
03-03-2009, 02:25 PM

aw dude you're so cool! fight the power!

:clap:

lol.

theuuord
03-03-2009, 02:26 PM
And its overreactions like this that start senseless arguments and hate fests over the internet

lol. yup.