PDA

View Full Version : Paul Pierce: If Doc Rivers Goes, I'll Retire

JordansBulls
03-02-2009, 01:31 PM
Source: BostonGlobe (http://www.boston.com/sports/basketball/articles/2009/03/01/hawks_try_to_get_homed_in/?page=3)

At halftime of today's Celtics-Pistons game, ABC will air an interview in which Magic Johnson talks to Pierce, who idolized Johnson as a kid. Pierce's most notable comment in the interview is that he would retire if Doc Rivers weren't his coach.

"Coach Rivers, I don't want to play for anybody else," Pierce says in the piece. "If he goes, then I think I'm ready to retire. I mean, he's a player's coach. He understands the guys, he understands situations, and he's been through struggles."

Vinny642
03-02-2009, 01:39 PM
Pierce is the drama queen jeez, no need for that comment

thesparky33
03-02-2009, 01:46 PM
I understand where he's coming from, but at the same time, if Rivers left after this season for some reason, I'd have a hard time seeing Pierce retire after this season... I'd call his bluff...

This reminds me of Jordan in 1998...

what54!?
03-02-2009, 01:50 PM
sure he would :rolleyes:

well actually it depends on how long Doc is there and where pierce is at in his career.

Wilson
03-02-2009, 01:51 PM
He's one of the leaders of the team, I'm sure the Celtics would want him to play at least a season under a new coach to help the transition with the younger guys.

However, I can't see the Celtics cutting Rivers loose anytime soon, so none of this really matters...:p

artest_kobe
03-02-2009, 01:51 PM
first off, doc rivers is a terrible coach, anyone can win with kg and rockin ray, but you can't even add in pierce, he is terrible, who is he to say that if rivers goes, i'll retire... where was he backing up doc in 06-07 when they were 17 games under .500... that's right he was faking injuries and running his mouth while missing 30+ games... pierce is trash.. go get your wheelchair

TheChosenOne88
03-02-2009, 01:54 PM
Shaq said the same thing, you still see him playing. IMO Doc Rivers was never a good coach until he got KG and Ray Allen, then he didn't have to coach. He was in the right place at the right time, if the Celtics didn't make those deals and didn't win the championship last season he would have been back doing commentary.

TheChosenOne88
03-02-2009, 01:57 PM
Oh and this is the Celtics last year to win a championship so looks like you better start packing your bags Pierce because you KG and Ray-Ray are going on the decline, once that happens we'll see how good of a coach Doc Rivers is.

Sportfan
03-02-2009, 02:00 PM
I agree that it's just a bluff

Wilson
03-02-2009, 02:03 PM
Shaq said the same thing, you still see him playing. IMO Doc Rivers was never a good coach until he got KG and Ray Allen, then he didn't have to coach. He was in the right place at the right time, if the Celtics didn't make those deals and didn't win the championship last season he would have been back doing commentary.

Yeah I remember Bill Simmons' annual Fire Doc Rivers article until they got Garnett and Allen...:p

Corey
03-02-2009, 02:23 PM
Seems to me like he's just trying to show his support for Doc, and show that the team rallies around him regardless of what's happening on the court. He's a good coach.

Skin&Bones
03-02-2009, 02:26 PM
:rolleyes:...Then go ahead

Frank Costanza
03-02-2009, 02:29 PM
first off, doc rivers is a terrible coach, anyone can win with kg and rockin ray, but you can't even add in pierce, he is terrible, who is he to say that if rivers goes, i'll retire... where was he backing up doc in 06-07 when they were 17 games under .500... that's right he was faking injuries and running his mouth while missing 30+ games... pierce is trash.. go get your wheelchair

hey bumbafoo , this man is NBA Finals MVp show some ****ING respect, and im not even from boston , appauled as a fan of the nba

CHief_0_o_Wahoo
03-02-2009, 02:31 PM
I really doubt he would, but its not like Rivers is going anywhere anyways.

Skin&Bones
03-02-2009, 02:34 PM
hey bumbafoo , this man is NBA Finals MVp show some ****ING respect, and im not even from boston , appauled as a fan of the nba

In all due respect to Pierce, I thought Posey was the difference last year in the finals. Pierce made big shots but Posey made most of the biggest stops on defense that created momentum for his team and destroying the lakeshow.

Frrrrank!!!
03-02-2009, 02:40 PM
seems to me like he's just trying to show his support for doc, and show that the team rallies around him regardless of what's happening on the court. He's a good coach.

+1

BRADY4MVP
03-02-2009, 02:41 PM
He's one of the leaders of the team, I'm sure the Celtics would want him to play at least a season under a new coach to help the transition with the younger guys.

However, I can't see the Celtics cutting Rivers loose anytime soon, so none of this really matters...:p

exactly...and it is funny to think that he didnt even like rivers when he first got hired

HoopsMachine
03-02-2009, 02:49 PM
Good to see his support for Doc but sadly he's throwing Tom Thibadeau under the bus with a comment like that. The biggest suprise from them was how well they played D. Nobody at the start of the season looked at that roster and said they would be a defensive force with the exception of Garnett. I see him retire when KG or Allen retire.

ackar
03-02-2009, 03:04 PM
If Doc rivers horrible coach then they need to take that coach of year award back then. the one he got from the magic.

dgreat5000
03-02-2009, 03:06 PM
I feel him on that, cuz he's been through alot of coaches with the Celtics and alot of struggle4s, now that he's found his guy he wants to stick to him.

Hustla23
03-02-2009, 03:23 PM
In that case, please leave Doc.

You are overrated as a coach and your departure wouldn't make any difference on the Celtics performance.

And as an added bonus we won't have to see Paul Pierce's pompous ugly trash talking *** anymore

Nighthawk
03-02-2009, 03:52 PM

You are overrated as a coach and your departure wouldn't make any difference on the Celtics performance.

And as an added bonus we won't have to see Paul Pierce's pompous ugly trash talking *** anymore

haha love it....

Corey
03-02-2009, 04:02 PM
Personally, I think Doc's actually underrated as a coach. Sure, anyone can win with 3 future hall of famers, but Doc is great at evaluating young talent, and making it translate to the game. Also, he's great at making players mesh. He's the ultimate player's coach, and knows that players being happy is one of the most important things to a successful team.

Arac
03-02-2009, 04:06 PM
I disagree with Doc as far as rotations sometimes, and who he has on the floor at crunch time, and the plays he runs on those situations. But as any other fan, I only disagree with him when we lose.

Doc is an excellent coach as far as handling the players, making them work hard and blending them as one unit. He has excellent relationship with all the players.

For those who say that it's easy to win with 3 HoFers, it was impossible to win with our 2006-07 roster. A coach needs good players to win. And Doc has proven that he can win big with a good roster.

JordansBulls
03-02-2009, 04:06 PM
I understand where he's coming from, but at the same time, if Rivers left after this season for some reason, I'd have a hard time seeing Pierce retire after this season... I'd call his bluff...

That is what came to mind for me as well.

GoatMilk
03-02-2009, 04:07 PM
reminds me of Horace Grant and Rick Fox lol

Faneik
03-02-2009, 04:10 PM
Pierce will retire as a celtic.

pippsux
03-02-2009, 04:18 PM
Duncan has only played for one coach his whole career. If they ever put a microphone in front of him for more than 15 minutes, I am sure he would say the same thing. Pierce wants to be linked to the only coach that brought him the most success, he is entitled.

abe_froman
03-02-2009, 04:19 PM

me to,but what did jordan do.so kind of negates what you first said,saying he wouldnt

superkegger
03-02-2009, 04:23 PM

Pretty much could have ended the thread here.

showtym24
03-02-2009, 04:43 PM
Its prolly true cuz when him, ray, and KG get older 3 to 5 years from now they'll suck and Doc will get fired and peirce will retire. Makes perfect sense.

TheChosenOne88
03-02-2009, 05:30 PM
In all due respect to Pierce, I thought Posey was the difference last year in the finals. Pierce made big shots but Posey made most of the biggest stops on defense that created momentum for his team and destroying the lakeshow.

I agree, the Celtics wouldn't have made it out of the east without Posey and PJ Brown last year.

GunFactor187
03-02-2009, 05:31 PM
Classy stuff from The Truth.

oldenpolynice
03-02-2009, 05:58 PM
I think he was exaggerating. He's like the Bill Simmons of NBA players. Everything's either really, really great or the most awful thing you've ever seen/heard.

69centers
03-02-2009, 06:03 PM
It's probably because Doc has been the kindest to him over his playing years. Jim O'brien was very tough on him (and the rest of the team) and I don't think he liked that. He really could benefit from a tougher coach than Doc, I think. He still has a huge problem with turnovers late in games, and some of his offensive decisions.

ARMIN12NBA
03-02-2009, 06:04 PM
I call serious shenanigans. Pierce is just vying for attention since he is needy for it (the crying, faking injuries, claiming he's the greatest, etc.). Not to mention Doc Rivers is an awful coach. He isn't even the coach of the Celtics; it is T.T.

Chronz
03-02-2009, 06:11 PM
Pierce is the drama queen jeez, no need for that comment

Was MJ a drama queen?

Chronz
03-02-2009, 06:14 PM
I call serious shenanigans. Pierce is just vying for attention since he is needy for it (the crying, faking injuries, claiming he's the greatest, etc.). Not to mention Doc Rivers is an awful coach. He isn't even the coach of the Celtics; it is T.T.

Is there any reason Doc is a bad coach? And if Tom were the real coach then why isnt Pierce sticking up for him?

Faneik
03-02-2009, 06:17 PM

So the Celtics team that beat your Lakers in the Finals must have been really really really talented. If they could win with an awful coach.

Former coach of the year, btw.

Frrrrank!!!
03-02-2009, 06:20 PM
So the Celtics team that beat your Lakers in the Finals must have been really really really talented. If they could win with an awful coach.

Wow, didn't even realize that was you Faneik. Lol, just doesn't look the same without the Scal sig.

albertc86
03-02-2009, 06:20 PM
Classy stuff from The Truth.

Classy but bs. He's just blowing smoke.

AirJordanXVIII
03-02-2009, 06:30 PM
Hes just saying that, so when Ray and KG start sucking when they get old, he doenst have to take the blame.

ARMIN12NBA
03-02-2009, 06:30 PM

Tom Thibodeau was their real coach...

ARMIN12NBA
03-02-2009, 06:32 PM
Is there any reason Doc is a bad coach? And if Tom were the real coach then why isnt Pierce sticking up for him?

1. Have you ever listened to Doc on the sidelines or actually hear what he tells his team? He is a complete idiot and barely coaches. He is almost always whining. Basically, he continuously tells his team, "Guys, I know we are getting bad calls, but remember our spiritual lessons and we can get through this." He doesn't coach. At the same time, T.T. is really coaching that team...

2. Because Pierce is a drama queen. I'm pretty sure I covered that.

getyopopcornrdy
03-02-2009, 06:37 PM

maybe, with pierce the knicks wouldn't be the laughing stock of the league

JordansBulls
03-02-2009, 06:38 PM
Hes just saying that, so when Ray and KG start sucking when they get old, he doenst have to take the blame.

They are roughly around the same age.

ARMIN12NBA
03-02-2009, 06:39 PM
maybe, with pierce the knicks wouldn't be the laughing stock of the league

The Knicks aren't the laughing stock of the league. Have you been under a rock for the past year or something?

GspLAL
03-02-2009, 06:39 PM

Tom whatever his last name is (assistant coach)

Faneik
03-02-2009, 06:52 PM
It's so funny to see some Lakers' fans still bothered with the loss they suffered in the Finals...

A simple thread about the Celtics, and you guys couldn't help yourselves, you had to come in and start bashing, now it's Doc's turn...:eyebrow:

ARMIN12NBA
03-02-2009, 06:54 PM
It's so funny to see some Lakers' fans still bothered with the loss they suffered in the Finals...

A simple thread about the Celtics, and you guys couldn't help yourselves, you had to come in and start bashing, now it's Doc's turn...:eyebrow:

How am I bothered with the loss in the Finals? :eyebrow: Am I not giving credit to T.T.? I'm pretty sure I am. Just because I see through Doc Rivers and his ridiculously overrated coaching, it doesn't mean I'm upset or bothered by making a simple and quite easy observation.

op12
03-02-2009, 08:01 PM
How am I bothered with the loss in the Finals? :eyebrow: Am I not giving credit to T.T.? I'm pretty sure I am. Just because I see through Doc Rivers and his ridiculously overrated coaching, it doesn't mean I'm upset or bothered by making a simple and quite easy observation.

i have to disagree with all of your statements in this thread. i do agree with you giving TT credit, he does do a lot. but if you have watched any documentaries or dvds about these celtics you will see how doc connects with the players and, as someone else said, is a players coach. they respect and listen to him, we just dont see everything in the games. most of the time the camera goes to a coach when they are whining and yes doc does like to complain, but so do most coaches.

and as far as pierce being a drama queen, i think quite the opposite. he stuck through some tough years in boston and made them somewhat competitive nearly on his own. he may have not liked doc at the start, but doc has earned his respect. lots of stars complain when teams surround them with nothing but young, unproven talent. kobe has done it and so has pierce. they want people to help them win, you cannot get on someone about that, it is not drama and it wasnt all that public with pierce. he is giving his coach props and you cant always win with 3 futures HOFs. one example i can think of are the 4 HOF lakers losing to a piston team with great chemistry. coaches help create chemistry and doc has done that, thus allowing pierce to make a fair statement about him. it is harder to contain 3 big stars egos than it is too simply win with 3 big stars.

ARMIN12NBA
03-02-2009, 08:49 PM
i have to disagree with all of your statements in this thread. i do agree with you giving TT credit, he does do a lot. but if you have watched any documentaries or dvds about these celtics you will see how doc connects with the players and, as someone else said, is a players coach. they respect and listen to him, we just dont see everything in the games. most of the time the camera goes to a coach when they are whining and yes doc does like to complain, but so do most coaches.

and as far as pierce being a drama queen, i think quite the opposite. he stuck through some tough years in boston and made them somewhat competitive nearly on his own. he may have not liked doc at the start, but doc has earned his respect. lots of stars complain when teams surround them with nothing but young, unproven talent. kobe has done it and so has pierce. they want people to help them win, you cannot get on someone about that, it is not drama and it wasnt all that public with pierce. he is giving his coach props and you cant always win with 3 futures HOFs. one example i can think of are the 4 HOF lakers losing to a piston team with great chemistry. coaches help create chemistry and doc has done that, thus allowing pierce to make a fair statement about him. it is harder to contain 3 big stars egos than it is too simply win with 3 big stars.

What does a "players coach" even mean? All it means to me is that Doc sucks up to the players. That isn't coaching. Heck, I can easily do what Doc does. Complain, suck up, and talk about spirituality. I don't need to watch any documentary as I have seen him coach up close and personal from the sidelines. He is an absolute joke of a coach. Like I said, Tom Thibodeau is the real coach of this team and I am surprised Danny Ainge hasn't fired Rivers and made T.T. the coach before it's too late (T.T. leaves; Celtics get exposed).

Chronz
03-02-2009, 08:55 PM
1. Have you ever listened to Doc on the sidelines or actually hear what he tells his team? He is a complete idiot and barely coaches. He is almost always whining. Basically, he continuously tells his team, "Guys, I know we are getting bad calls, but remember our spiritual lessons and we can get through this." He doesn't coach. At the same time, T.T. is really coaching that team...

2. Because Pierce is a drama queen. I'm pretty sure I covered that.

OK so hes not your x's and o's type of guy, atleast not defensively but hes a good offensive coach and throughout his career has managed to get the most out of his guys on that end. Hes a players coach so he has to connect with them somehow, if they feel they arent getting the calls he'll motivate them to play through it. Hes always been like this, when in his playing career they asked all the players who they could see coaching when his career was over and Doc was the clear cut choice. Commanding a players respect is one of the biggest aspects of coaching, the 2nd is retaining that respect for years. Rivers has done that with his crew, its more than just sucking up, its connecting with them. And it takes quite abit of modesty to be able to let someone else teach you some things, he let TT handle the defense.

The exact opposite scenario is being played out in Cleveland right now, with Coach Brown giving John Kuester more responsibilities.

BALLER71
03-02-2009, 09:02 PM
Doc Rivers is also a overrated coach.

ARMIN12NBA
03-02-2009, 09:14 PM
OK so hes not your x's and o's type of guy, atleast not defensively but hes a good offensive coach and throughout his career has managed to get the most out of his guys on that end. Hes a players coach so he has to connect with them somehow, if they feel they arent getting the calls he'll motivate them to play through it. Hes always been like this, when in his playing career they asked all the players who they could see coaching when his career was over and Doc was the clear cut choice. Commanding a players respect is one of the biggest aspects of coaching, the 2nd is retaining that respect for years. Rivers has done that with his crew, its more than just sucking up, its connecting with them. And it takes quite abit of modesty to be able to let someone else teach you some things, he let TT handle the defense.

The exact opposite scenario is being played out in Cleveland right now, with Coach Brown giving John Kuester more responsibilities.

That's my point. The guy does not seem to actually coach. I want my coach to actually be teaching strategies and keeping his cool. Literally, he rarely ever talks about strategy. The point about relating, I don't like either. Phil Jackson and Popovich do a fine job of relating, but don't suck up to their players and rarely ever whine on every play. I mean, did you catch that Clippers game the other day? He was whining every single play. He did not coach. He was whining. Even when they called a time-out and went into the huddle. He was complaining about the refs; no lie. I was completely baffled. The Celtics lost BECAUSE OF HIM. Not because of the players, but because this guy has a sense of entitlement only second to a handful of people in this world.

KB24PG16
03-02-2009, 09:15 PM
its funny because last year he didnt even care about doc we wanted out and now he's changed we wants doc... i doubt he would actually do this

wibber34
03-02-2009, 09:21 PM
Armin12NBA he may not be the coach you'd want, but the point is he gets the job done.... Stop attacking Doc. Doc has lead the Celtics these past two years to increadible feats. Who are you to judge whether he's a good coach or not?

ARMIN12NBA
03-02-2009, 09:22 PM
Armin12NBA he may not be the coach you'd want, but the point is he gets the job done.... Stop attacking Doc. Doc has lead the Celtics these past two years to increadible feats. Who are you to judge whether he's a good coach or not?

"He" gets the job done or Thibodeau? :eyebrow:

op12
03-02-2009, 09:24 PM
a players coach means he gets along with them. he is respected but can be a friend and a mentor at the same time. he races the team in practice and tells them if he beats anyone they have to step up and work harder. he sits down with single players like kg and tells them what they are doing wrong in a certain situation and how to adjust. he plans team events and dinners to help establish a chemistry. this is a players coach. i just dont see how a man who successfully manages 3 HOFs and 2 young and raw starters, not to mention the young bench players, can be considered a horrible coach. no one said he was the greatest ever, but at least give the guy some credit, he is a solid coach.

i dont understand why a lakers fan is so insisting that he is so bad. celtics fans do not diss phil, he is a good coach. give credit where credit is due, when you win a championship and have, going on, 2 great seasons every thing has to fall into place. that includes a good head coach. you can not delegate everything all the time and be successful. at certain points you have to do things on your own and doc does this well.

JordansBulls
03-02-2009, 09:27 PM
Doc Rivers is also a overrated coach.

In what sense?

Once he got great players he succeeded.

ARMIN12NBA
03-02-2009, 09:28 PM
a players coach means he gets along with them. he is respected but can be a friend and a mentor at the same time. he races the team in practice and tells them if he beats anyone they have to step up and work harder. he sits down with single players like kg and tells them what they are doing wrong in a certain situation and how to adjust. he plans team events and dinners to help establish a chemistry. this is a players coach. i just dont see how a man who successfully manages 3 HOFs and 2 young and raw starters, not to mention the young bench players, can be considered a horrible coach. no one said he was the greatest ever, but at least give the guy some credit, he is a solid coach.

i dont understand why a lakers fan is so insisting that he is so bad. celtics fans do not diss phil, he is a good coach. give credit where credit is due, when you win a championship and have, going on, 2 great seasons every thing has to fall into place. that includes a good head coach. you can not delegate everything all the time and be successful. at certain points you have to do things on your own and doc does this well.

I'm glad Doc Rivers spends his time racing, planning parties, and playing games instead of studying tape. :rolleyes: That's what a job description for a coach to do is, right? All those things just so the players would like him? I'm sure Thibodeau is watching all the tape and preparing for the game.

I'm insisting he is a bad coach because Doc Rivers is a bad coach. Don't see this as hating or anything. If I was a hater then I would say both Doc and T.T. were bad and that is clearly not the case. I have always thought Rivers was a bad coach and should have stayed as a commentator.

The fact remains is that he is not a good coach. Sure, he seems like a great friend and drinking buddy. But coach? Not so much.

ARMIN12NBA
03-02-2009, 09:30 PM
In what sense?

Once he got Tom Thibodeau he succeeded.

Fixed.

NickyNick
03-02-2009, 09:31 PM
haha your an idiot, do some homework before you come blasting in like that. doc rivers was coach of the year in 2000 so he was never a good coach? moron.

also you say he wasnt good until he got KG and Ray, yea im sure cleveland was REAL good before they got LJ

ARMIN12NBA
03-02-2009, 09:34 PM
haha your an idiot, do some homework before you come blasting in like that. doc rivers was coach of the year in 2000 so he was never a good coach? moron.

also you say he wasnt good until he got KG and Ray, yea im sure cleveland was REAL good before they got LJ

Sam Mitchel was also coach of the year...Look how that turned out.

BALLER71
03-02-2009, 09:36 PM
In what sense?

Once he got great players he succeeded.

Anyone can win a title with those players.

op12
03-02-2009, 09:40 PM

you are seriously passionate about doc. how many times have you posted in this thread? your logic is still not great, you say you have seen him a person and he wasnt good, but that was probably one, maybe a couple of games and im sure you couldnt see/hear everything and you were not in the locker room. you say he doesnt watch tape, but how do you know who studies tape. im sure they both do. just because you respect TT doesnt mean your not a hater. you are still a celtics hater and that is fine. again give credit where credit is due. you blast doc but do not respond to any of my points in my 2 posts. this is why i think you are a hater and make invalid complaints. you do not argue points that you know are true. with all that being said, we will just have to agree to disagree.

ARMIN12NBA
03-02-2009, 09:50 PM
you are seriously passionate about doc. how many times have you posted in this thread? your logic is still not great, you say you have seen him a person and he wasnt good, but that was probably one, maybe a couple of games and im sure you couldnt see/hear everything and you were not in the locker room. you say he doesnt watch tape, but how do you know who studies tape. im sure they both do. just because you respect TT doesnt mean your not a hater. you are still a celtics hater and that is fine. again give credit where credit is due. you blast doc but do not respond to any of my points in my 2 posts. this is why i think you are a hater and make invalid complaints. you do not argue points that you know are true. with all that being said, we will just have to agree to disagree.

What were your points? That he is a players coach and that he is willing to do everything (which was all non-basketball related) to make them happy? Horrible points in terms of who is a good coach.

I'll stick with Phil Jackson and Greg Popovich. They are simply coaches. They have strategies and get their points across. No need to sugar coat it. They are calm, cool, and collected on the bench. Have you ever seen Doc not out of his seat and whining? It is nearly impossible. Like I said, I will give credit where credit is due...to the real coach of the Celtics (Thibodeau).

greatest2
03-02-2009, 10:10 PM

another bonehead comment...you guys will never realize that it takes more than superstars to win a championship. It was actually really good that 3 superstars who have never played with each other before in a regular nba season were able to come together and win a championship in 1 year. THats more than just the players. But you will continue your thinking becuase you dont know what it takes to be an nba coach and never will

mrblisterdundee
03-02-2009, 10:21 PM
By the time Doc Rivers would ever retire or get fired, Paul Pierce's career would already be over. He made this comment because by the time that happened, he would be a journeyman.

TheChosenOne88
03-02-2009, 10:23 PM

Were talking about Doc Rivers, is LeBron James a coach? Wow and I'm the idiot.

My point exactly.

op12
03-03-2009, 01:19 AM

you addressed none of the bolded and you let go about pierce being a drama queen because it was a silly comment to make. why couldnt jackson make kobe and shaq co exist? why couldnt he win with those 4 HOFs? 4 should be better than 3 right? not saying jackson isnt a good coach, simply saying why doc is.

op12
03-03-2009, 01:21 AM
another bonehead comment...you guys will never realize that it takes more than superstars to win a championship. It was actually really good that 3 superstars who have never played with each other before in a regular nba season were able to come together and win a championship in 1 year. THats more than just the players. But you will continue your thinking becuase you dont know what it takes to be an nba coach and never will

excellent point

JordansBulls
03-03-2009, 01:30 AM

Well said.

Er1c
03-03-2009, 02:21 AM
naw man he won't.

EX-TREME
03-03-2009, 07:39 AM
i hope he do it

JordansBulls
03-03-2009, 09:39 AM
Anyone can win a title with those players.

D'Antoni? Vinny Del Negro? Isiah Thomas?

hotdogbun
03-03-2009, 10:13 AM
yep. but do you think doc rivers can win a title with the players of d'antoni?del negro?isiah thomas? NO NO and NO

Yogi
03-03-2009, 10:17 AM
Hopefully Doc doesn't die.

dandman1021
03-03-2009, 10:18 AM
damn thats commitment to a coach

Kaptain Kanada
03-03-2009, 10:23 AM
One more reason to think that Paul Pierce is a douche.

bostncelts34
03-03-2009, 10:25 AM
One more reason to think that Paul Pierce is a douche.

Yea because that makes ALOT of sense. A players shows commitment and support for a coach that has brought his first real success into his career, and hes a douchel. Yea, good call. Moron. lol

hotdogbun
03-03-2009, 10:49 AM
and the coach that he was with while they are sitting at home all summer for like 3 years

b_russ
03-03-2009, 10:49 AM
Personally, I think Doc's actually underrated as a coach. Sure, anyone can win with 3 future hall of famers.

Not everyone. :laugh2:

http://www.nba.com/finals2004/

Kaptain Kanada
03-03-2009, 11:07 AM
Yea because that makes ALOT of sense. A players shows commitment and support for a coach that has brought his first real success into his career, and hes a douchel. Yea, good call. Moron. lol

Wasn't Pierce ready to throw Doc under the bus a couple years ago? And now he's going to retire if he's not playing for the guy.... c'mon.

bostncelts34
03-03-2009, 11:08 AM
Not everyone. :laugh2:

http://www.nba.com/finals2004/

lol i know right. SO i guess PJ is a horrible coach cause he had Malone,Payton,Kobe and shaq and didnt win. Wow ANYONE can win with 4 future hall of famers! lol Give me a break. Its a great coaching job to have 3 guys like this come in, after never playing with eachother and wina chip' in the firts year together. Thats not just the players, has alot to do with coaching and chemistry. Doc has done just fine. He obviously did fine when he won COY in 2000 as well.

bostncelts34
03-03-2009, 11:10 AM
Wasn't Pierce ready to throw Doc under the bus a couple years ago? And now he's going to retire if he's not playing for the guy.... c'mon.

Can you show me where/when he was gonna do that? cause i dont recall? He never asked to be trades, or have the coach fired. ALl he has ever asked for is more talent around him, which they finally gave him. He didnt threaten to leave if they didnt give him it, he just asked. Hes a loyal guy.

hotdogbun
03-03-2009, 11:14 AM
Can you show me where/when he was gonna do that? cause i dont recall? He never asked to be trades, or have the coach fired. ALl he has ever asked for is more talent around him, which they finally gave him. He didnt threaten to leave if they didnt give him it, he just asked. Hes a loyal guy.

you dont recall cuz maybe your not yet a celtic fan by that time :smoking:

kntresistheheat
03-03-2009, 11:15 AM
Who cares:rolleyes:

Kaptain Kanada
03-03-2009, 11:35 AM

The Celtics acquired Kevin Garnett and Ray Allen, and suddenly Pierce was part of a team that won 66 games, a record 42-game improvement over the previous season.

"I remember us saying neither one of us thought we'd be back with our team," Pierce said of his conversations with Bryant. "I remember I was just betting who would get to another team first, because he felt strongly about moving on with the Lakers and I felt the same with Boston. So it's kind of ironic that we're in this position on the same teams playing each other for a championship."

http://www.pe.com/sports/basketball/lakers/stories/PE_Sports_Local_S_lakers_notes_05.41857da.html

Give your head a shake.... Pierce was all about leaving the Celtics and being tired with the franchise a couple summers ago.

tonyd3b54
03-03-2009, 11:37 AM
doc was coach of the year when he was with the magic so the guy can coach...people are just ********...

CELTICS4LYFE
03-03-2009, 11:39 AM
The Celtics acquired Kevin Garnett and Ray Allen, and suddenly Pierce was part of a team that won 66 games, a record 42-game improvement over the previous season.

"I remember us saying neither one of us thought we'd be back with our team," Pierce said of his conversations with Bryant. "I remember I was just betting who would get to another team first, because he felt strongly about moving on with the Lakers and I felt the same with Boston. So it's kind of ironic that we're in this position on the same teams playing each other for a championship."

http://www.pe.com/sports/basketball/lakers/stories/PE_Sports_Local_S_lakers_notes_05.41857da.html

Give your head a shake.... Pierce was all about leaving the Celtics and being tired with the franchis a couple summers ago.

i dont think this thread is important but what u jus posted doesnt prove anything...it doesnt say he asked to b traded or any of that, jus that he was fed up wit losing n expected ta b somewhere else which i think anyone in his shoes woulda felt the same way, remember he was on a ncaa team the yr b4 that only won 24 games n lost 18 straight....

kntresistheheat
03-03-2009, 11:51 AM
Listen no disrespect to celtics fans, but who cares if pierce retires besides celtics fans:hide: What everyone is most intrested in seeing everyday is what is Lebron, Kobe, Wade, Dhoward, Melo?, and Stat is doing! They are our future and they are the most exciting players to watch, Its a shame because the game has changed and people use to appreciate players like pierce and team work! Now it has become a debate about Lebron-Kobe-Wade show and rightfully so....They have made the game intresting again since the recent greats have retired ala (Jordan,Magic,Bird,Drexler,Wilkins,ect.< Remind you of anything of today???

Corey
03-03-2009, 12:00 PM
Listen no disrespect to celtics fans, but who cares if pierce retires besides celtics fans:hide: What everyone is most intrested in seeing everyday is what is Lebron, Kobe, Wade, Dhoward, Melo?, and Stat is doing! They are our future and they are the most exciting players to watch, Its a shame because the game has changed and people use to appreciate players like pierce and team work! Now it has become a debate about Lebron-Kobe-Wade show and rightfully so....They have made the game intresting again since the recent greats have retired ala (Jordan,Magic,Bird,Drexler,Wilkins,ect.< Remind you of anything of today???

I disagree. The players you mentioned are just young and flashy. I personally enjoy watching the older, more seasoned players play. The Pierces, and Tim Duncans. I'm conditioned to enjoy that type of basketball. While LeBron and the rest of the young-guns are incredibly entertaining to watch, them being in the league doesn't necessarily make the game any better than it was 10 years ago.

hotdogbun
03-03-2009, 12:08 PM
I disagree. The players you mentioned are just young and flashy. I personally enjoy watching the older, more seasoned players play. The Pierces, and Tim Duncans. I'm conditioned to enjoy that type of basketball. While LeBron and the rest of the young-guns are incredibly entertaining to watch, them being in the league doesn't necessarily make the game any better than it was 10 years ago.

now duncan is a different story. the whole basketball world would care if duncan retires but not pierce. dont ever compare duncan to pierce

Kaptain Kanada
03-03-2009, 12:11 PM
i dont think this thread is important but what u jus posted doesnt prove anything...it doesnt say he asked to b traded or any of that, jus that he was fed up wit losing n expected ta b somewhere else which i think anyone in his shoes woulda felt the same way, remember he was on a ncaa team the yr b4 that only won 24 games n lost 18 straight....

Haha... very true.... I'll agree with you on your point.

kntresistheheat
03-03-2009, 12:15 PM

No, I agree and dont get me wrong I do appreciate players like pierce but it has changed. Look at what is everyone talking about what LJ,KOBE,WADE has done today and while it is exciting to watch people put team second and players first...I am sorry if I am not making to much sense but I am sick with a huge headache:( Basically a player like pierce wont be missed if he retires becuase he is not over hyped like these other players that I have mentiond. Look at ESPN they were on KG'S sack because he was doing on the wolves by himself putting up monster numbers, Now he is on the celtics with two other all-stars and obivously he does not have to put up those monster any more and now they just briefly mention the celtics and when they mention cleveland or Lakers they say LJ OR KOBE... they should just put Wade vs LJ vs Kobe:p