PDA

View Full Version : Kevin Martin should shut it down

DerekRE_3
03-02-2009, 03:26 AM
My newest blog article. This one talks about Kevin Martin, who has been battling an ankle injury most of the year. There is really no point to him playing hurt and risking further injury with the Kings owning the league's worst record. This situation is similar to Dwayne Wade sitting out most of last year.

What are your thoughts, in general, about players resting for the year and getting healthy if their teams aren't contending for a playoff spot?

Article is here:
http://davissportsdeli.com/wordpress/2009/03/02/kevin-martin-should-shut-it-down-for-the-season/

sacgiants1213
03-02-2009, 03:43 AM
definitely the right decision IMO. The organization will be kicking itself for a long time if kmart aggravates his injury even more and why risk it. We need a healthy Kmart for years to come, so please rest him Sacramento. instead of losing by a little, we'll be getting blown out every game, so it makes no difference in the standings... The Griffin/Kmart duo will be deadly, Make it Happen!!!!

JermanJaysFan
03-02-2009, 03:47 AM
I disagree, violently, becuase he is a key fantasy contributor for me :D.

But, aside from that, it makes sense to me.

abe_froman
03-02-2009, 03:47 AM
yeah think he should shut it down to

DerekRE_3
03-02-2009, 03:48 AM

Haha fantasy basketball was not taken into account in this article, though that could have been an oversight on my part.

sacgiants1213
03-02-2009, 03:51 AM

time for you to pick up rashad mccants

oldenpolynice
03-02-2009, 03:51 AM
Haha fantasy basketball was not taken into account in this article, though that could have been an oversight on my part.

Ha ha. I completely forgot about the fantasy ramifications too. That's gonna be a deal-breaker for a lot of people.

DerekRE_3
03-02-2009, 03:57 AM
Ha ha. I completely forgot about the fantasy ramifications too. That's gonna be a deal-breaker for a lot of people.

Yeah this is true. I was never a big fantasy basketball person, so I'd rather have Kevin Martin 100% healthy next year. Martin can barely dunk when he jumps off his left foot, he doesn't have the explosion that he usually does. A lot of people though, don't know that Martin's ankle isn't close to being 100%, and that's why he hasn't been nearly as efficient as he has been in the past. The fact that he has no help whatsoever doesn't really help him either.

extreme k.closs
03-02-2009, 04:49 AM
I'd hate it, watching the kings now will be pretty brutal on my eyes now. But him playing only hurts the kings chances in the draft cause they'd have a slight chance winning games with him. Winning games is actually not on the top of their to do list right now, so they should shut him down and start playing donte greene, and rashad mccants

Vinny642
03-02-2009, 09:30 AM
He develop Greene take out martin, hope for a better year next year,
IMO Hawes Thompson and Greene will develop into solid players... get rid of beno Draino, get Thomas' contract out... also Garcia, idk trade or put him 6th man

PG- If drafted Stephen Curry, if not then McCants or someone in FA
SG- Martin
SF- Greene
PF- J Thompson
C- Hawes
6th Man- Nocioni
7th- Garcia
This roster developed would be nice.

DerekRE_3
03-02-2009, 02:10 PM
He develop Greene take out martin, hope for a better year next year,
IMO Hawes Thompson and Greene will develop into solid players... get rid of beno Draino, get Thomas' contract out... also Garcia, idk trade or put him 6th man

PG- If drafted Stephen Curry, if not then McCants or someone in FA
SG- Martin
SF- Greene
PF- J Thompson
C- Hawes
6th Man- Nocioni
7th- Garcia
This roster developed would be nice.

It's easy to say, get rid of Kenny Thomas...but it's much harder to actually do it. He makes 8 mil a year, and doesn't play. It's hard to trade that. Same thing with Beno, he has a very untradeable contract. Trust me, we tried to move him, but there were no takers.

And god no to Stephen Curry, he's not a point guard, and I'm skeptical that he can turn into one. I don't want another Quincy Douby, who was a combo guard who lit up at a smaller school just like Curry is now.

CHief_0_o_Wahoo
03-02-2009, 02:36 PM
It's easy to say, get rid of Kenny Thomas...but it's much harder to actually do it. He makes 8 mil a year, and doesn't play. It's hard to trade that. Same thing with Beno, he has a very untradeable contract. Trust me, we tried to move him, but there were no takers.

And god no to Stephen Curry, he's not a point guard, and I'm skeptical that he can turn into one. I don't want another Quincy Douby, who was a combo guard who lit up at a smaller school just like Curry is now.

Yeah unfortunately for you guys Thomas is nearly unmovable. I would say some teams would take Beno for not a whole lot.

As for your blog, I agree with you. Martin could just be damaging his future. Why play a whole season for a Kings team that is just going through some needed rebuilding. By this I don't mean he should demand a trade, but just take some time off get healthy and be ready for when the Kings are better.

what54!?
03-02-2009, 02:38 PM
he should. His team his going no where this year and look what happened to D.wade

oldenpolynice
03-02-2009, 04:22 PM

Curry is much better than Douby. Better shooter, better leader, better ball-handler. Gets more ladies. ;) But, yeah, you're right. We don't need someone with Curry's skills. We need a true point guard who can be a presence on defense.

DerekRE_3
03-02-2009, 04:23 PM
Curry is much better than Douby. Better shooter, better leader, better ball-handler. Gets more ladies. ;) But, yeah, you're right. We don't need someone with Curry's skills. We need a true point guard who can be a presence on defense.

The point guard I really like in the draft is Jru Holiday. He's 6'4, has good instincts and is a really good defender. And as far as the Curry/Douby comparison goes...Douby was pretty insane in college, just like Curry is now. I think Curry will be better, but I just don't see him translating well to the point guard spot in the NBA.

Joshtd1
03-02-2009, 04:24 PM
He should shut it down. Look at Manu in the olympics..one wrong movement and he could really mess the ankle up and need surgery. I know it's his competitive streak wanting to play.....but if hes injured, he really should look out for whats best for himself and the team.

DerekRE_3
03-02-2009, 04:26 PM
What I do like about Martin, is that he hasn't used this injury as an excuse at all. He didn't even acknowledge it as more than a sprain until a month after it happened. And the only reason why he did is because people were questioning his toughness, since you shouldn't miss 20 games for an ankle sprain.

superkegger
03-02-2009, 04:27 PM
Kevin Martin should shut it down. He, nor the kings, benefit from him playing hurt.

SwaggaIke
03-02-2009, 04:42 PM
No doubt about it, shut him down. The Heat were in a similar predicament last year. We were going nowhere as the Kings are now (this season). Shut Martin down so he can come back 100% for next year. This also helps develop young talent around his spot so they can come back as more mature players next year (Daequan Cook).

mitch91
03-02-2009, 04:52 PM
did you write that blog?

if so how did you get on the site?

Catfish1314
03-02-2009, 05:17 PM
Couldn't agree more. He's not helping us and he's definitely not helping himself. Sit him and get Donte Greene in the game. He and the medical staff will have to make that decision because Kenny Natt is a complete moron.

oldenpolynice
03-02-2009, 05:54 PM
Couldn't agree more. He's not helping us and he's definitely not helping himself. Sit him and get Donte Greene in the game. He and the medical staff will have to make that decision because Kenny Natt is a complete moron.

Not a complete moron. Just 70%.

Chronz
03-02-2009, 05:59 PM
But wont he be labeled a quitter for doing so?

sacgiants1213
03-02-2009, 06:05 PM
not if the team makes him rest his injury.

Catfish1314
03-02-2009, 06:07 PM

The Kings season is over. He's not helping anything by still playing.

oldenpolynice
03-02-2009, 06:27 PM

Was Wade labeled a quitter last season?

Faneik
03-02-2009, 06:38 PM
it really isn't a bad management move...

- the best player can heal and be 100% with fresh legs for next season

- increase in the lottery chances

too bad rubio won't declare, the kings could upgrade at the PG spot.

DerekRE_3
03-02-2009, 07:08 PM

I think he has shown that he isn't one by playing on the injury for this long and refusing to make excuses about it.

DerekRE_3
03-02-2009, 07:09 PM
did you write that blog?

if so how did you get on the site?

Yeah I wrote it. And I asked PSD member Olden Polynice if I could write for it, he's in charge of the site, davissportsdeli.

Catfish1314
03-02-2009, 07:20 PM
Yeah I wrote it. And I asked PSD member Olden Polynice if I could write for it, he's in charge of the site, davissportsdeli.

Best video ever...the final countdown. :laugh:

DerekRE_3
03-02-2009, 07:26 PM
Best video ever...the final countdown. :laugh:

Haha thanks.

Chronz
03-02-2009, 08:07 PM
The Kings season is over. He's not helping anything by still playing.

Was Wade labeled a quitter last season?

I think he has shown that he isn't one by playing on the injury for this long and refusing to make excuses about it.
Good to know where you guys stand, I totally agree, if the team is going nowhere and the player has played this deep into the season there is very little reason to continue playing if it has the potential of hurting the overall longevity of his career.

oldenpolynice
03-02-2009, 10:12 PM
Fans on other sites keep bringing up the chemistry issue if Martin sits out. But I don't think that's an issue. A bunch of guys are expiring or on the trade block for the Kings. A number of them won't be around anyway.

IMO, the only guys Martin needs to develop chemistry with are Jason Thompson, Spencer Hawes, Donte Greene and (maybe) 'Cisco Garcia. I guess you can add Noc to that list too. And he's played the majority of the season with those main guys anyway.

BrzoxblzXXX
03-02-2009, 11:16 PM
he definitely should shut it down. This season is dead. and the kings would get a better draft pick.

oldenpolynice
03-03-2009, 01:10 AM
he definitely should shut it down. This season is dead. and the kings would get a better draft pick.

Only if the ping pong balls bounce their way.

mrblisterdundee
03-03-2009, 02:53 AM
The Kings should shut it down. They have no viable roster.

oldenpolynice
03-03-2009, 02:31 PM
The Kings should shut it down. They have no viable roster.

No way. Let the young guys develop for another 20 games. That's basically what we're playing for. Wins are not that important anymore. Development is.

JaysFan87
03-03-2009, 04:18 PM
absolutely not.....my fantasy team would suffer way too much.......:D

oldenpolynice
03-03-2009, 05:59 PM
absolutely not.....my fantasy team would suffer way too much.......:D

I think this is definitely the leading argument for keeping K-Mart on the floor. Closely followed by: people won't buy tickets and team won't develop chemistry with him on the bench.

All 3 arguments are easily refuted. It's time to let K-Mart have his rest.