PDA

View Full Version : Joe Smith bought out by Thunder

oldenpolynice
03-02-2009, 01:14 AM
The Thunder bought out (http://davissportsdeli.com/wordpress/2009/03/01/thunder-buy-out-smiths-contract/) Smith's contract on Sunday. The Cavs are rumored to be the favorite to sign him on Wednesday when he clears waivers.

DerekRE_3
03-02-2009, 01:15 AM
If the Celtics had been a bit more patient they could have their choice of Drew Gooden or Joe Smith. Personally I'd take Gooden, if he can get healthy.

superkegger
03-02-2009, 01:19 AM
well, you know the cavs lakers and spurs are all going to be going after these 2, probably other upper level teams as well. it will be interesting to see who lands gooden and smith, and if they really do tip the tide one way or another.

oldenpolynice
03-02-2009, 01:19 AM
If the Celtics had been a bit more patient they could have their choice of Drew Gooden or Joe Smith. Personally I'd take Gooden, if he can get healthy.

True. I'd take either Smith or Gooden over Mikki Moore. I think Moore's competitiveness and energy make him a good fit for the C's locker room though.

Gooden has more ability (especially on offense) but I'd take Smith because you never know when Gooden is going to break down.

CHief_0_o_Wahoo
03-02-2009, 01:23 AM
I don't the Celtics can get him unless they dump someone.

Cavaliers looking like they got him.

http://www.cleveland.com/cavs/index.ssf/2009/03/cavaliers_insider_joe_smith_lo.html

superkegger
03-02-2009, 01:26 AM
So it looks like Gooden could be the lone hot commodity.

DerekRE_3
03-02-2009, 01:32 AM
So it looks like Gooden could be the lone hot commodity.

Who needs him? I guess the Lakers could use another big with Bynum out, but Gooden is having some injury problems right now and Josh Powell is playing pretty solid.

I think the Hornets need him the most. I'm sorry but Sean Marks isn't really that good and Gooden would be a definite upgrade. But the Hornets have shown this year that they are looking to cut costs so I don't see them making the move.

oldenpolynice
03-02-2009, 01:34 AM
Who needs him?

Spurs and Suns. Lakers are a dark horse, I guess.

cmstophe
03-02-2009, 01:35 AM
He's a Cav already, basically. Good signing.

CHief_0_o_Wahoo
03-02-2009, 01:39 AM
I don't we are claiming Smith...but I guess showing interest in Gooden possibly as well.

cmstophe
03-02-2009, 01:40 AM
I don't we are claiming Smith...but I guess showing interest in Gooden possibly as well.

I doubt the Cavs want to add both Gooden and Smith. They got Smith already, according to multiple sources. I think that's enough.

superkegger
03-02-2009, 01:42 AM
Yeah. Smith looks to be a cav already basically.

Gooden could be in high demand. He's from Oakland, maybe he'd like to stay in Cali....i hope so.

CHief_0_o_Wahoo
03-02-2009, 01:43 AM
I doubt the Cavs want to add both Gooden and Smith. They got Smith already, according to multiple sources. I think that's enough.

Well obviously, but what I am saying is Gooden became available after Smith. So we could very well try to see what we can do with Gooden.

Even though I don't really care which one we get, both are fine with me. Smith played GREAT in the playoffs last year, and I think he is a better playoff player.

Drunk Kosar 19
03-02-2009, 01:59 AM
if we settle with snow then we can get them both ....wtf is snow still on roster for anyway? hes not helping bring a championship to CLE

superkegger
03-02-2009, 02:06 AM
if we settle with snow then we can get them both ....wtf is snow still on roster for anyway? hes not helping bring a championship to CLE

I doubt both can be had. If one signs, and it looks as if Smith is likely to be signed, why would gooden go back? he can get more minutes in SA or LA among other places for the same check, and if its a ring he's after, LA would seemingly be the place to go. More meaningful minutes for a team that is definetly one of the top contenders.

oldenpolynice
03-02-2009, 02:13 AM
Gooden and Smith are damn lucky. What better way to spend the tail-end of the season than playing for a contender and possibly competing for a championship? It's a vets dream.

cmstophe
03-02-2009, 02:36 PM
Well obviously, but what I am saying is Gooden became available after Smith. So we could very well try to see what we can do with Gooden.

Even though I don't really care which one we get, both are fine with me. Smith played GREAT in the playoffs last year, and I think he is a better playoff player.

I agree. Joe Smith played very well for Cleveland in the playoffs, he's exactly what they need.

oldenpolynice
03-02-2009, 04:16 PM
I agree. Joe Smith played very well for Cleveland in the playoffs, he's exactly what they need.

Especially since Wallace is down for 4-6 weeks and won't have his conditioning back up until who knows when. I like Smith over Wallace anyway, because with Smith at least you get a little offense. Wallace is like an offensive black hole.

Faneik
03-02-2009, 04:40 PM
let the joes smith sweepstakes begin!

_Sn1P3r_
03-02-2009, 04:57 PM
Joe Smith would be a great addition for the Cavs off the bench.

cmstophe
03-02-2009, 05:15 PM
Especially since Wallace is down for 4-6 weeks and won't have his conditioning back up until who knows when. I like Smith over Wallace anyway, because with Smith at least you get a little offense. Wallace is like an offensive black hole.

He cant even dunk anymore...all he can do is stay in front of people. Joe Smith is definately a significant upgrade over Wallace offensively, and defensively I'm sure he'll at least rebound.

oldenpolynice
03-02-2009, 05:55 PM
let the joes smith sweepstakes begin!

Well, not so much... I think the Cavs have him locked up pretty good.

69centers
03-02-2009, 06:13 PM

You and the Cavs can have Smith. I've never cared for him since his Maryland days. IMO, he's been a career disappointment, considering how highly touted he was coming out of college. I don't think he's played a full regular season in at least 10 years.

Playoff performer? He averaged nearly 10 points in the regular season last year and 6.6 in the playoffs. 5.2 rebounds in the regular season and 4.6 in the playoffs. He made a few key plays, but by no means is a great playoff performer.

Mikki Moore's not a better player than Smith, but he brings more intensity to every game than Smith does in an entire year.

Cleavage
03-02-2009, 06:14 PM
Definitely going to the Cavs

lorenz00
03-03-2009, 01:05 AM
this guy is going to cavs

mrblisterdundee
03-03-2009, 02:55 AM
The Cavaliers should take back Drew Gooden before Joe Smith. When Gooden was last there, he was the second most productive player behind LeBron James.

cmstophe
03-03-2009, 11:31 AM
The Cavaliers should take back Drew Gooden before Joe Smith. When Gooden was last there, he was the second most productive player behind LeBron James.

Nah, Smith is a better choice. Gooden's bonehead moves made him disliked by LeBron and the fans, although not nearly as much as Larry Hughes.

You and the Cavs can have Smith. I've never cared for him since his Maryland days. IMO, he's been a career disappointment, considering how highly touted he was coming out of college. I don't think he's played a full regular season in at least 10 years.

Playoff performer? He averaged nearly 10 points in the regular season last year and 6.6 in the playoffs. 5.2 rebounds in the regular season and 4.6 in the playoffs. He made a few key plays, but by no means is a great playoff performer.

Mikki Moore's not a better player than Smith, but he brings more intensity to every game than Smith does in an entire year.

Joe Smith had some pivotal points and rebounds against the Celtics last year for the Cavs. I dunno man. None of these players you sign after they get bought out are going to be beasts...the Cavs just happen to need some extra rebounding and maybe some offense off the bench, and Joe Smith provides that and more. I think it helps a decent amount.

CHief_0_o_Wahoo
03-03-2009, 11:48 AM
Nah, Smith is a better choice. Gooden's bonehead moves made him disliked by LeBron and the fans, although not nearly as much as Larry Hughes.

Joe Smith had some pivotal points and rebounds against the Celtics last year for the Cavs. I dunno man. None of these players you sign after they get bought out are going to be beasts...the Cavs just happen to need some extra rebounding and maybe some offense off the bench, and Joe Smith provides that and more. I think it helps a decent amount.

Exactly.

Yogi
03-03-2009, 12:47 PM
Joe Smith is straight thug.