PDA

View Full Version : Gooden agrees to buyout from Kings, is waived

sacgiants1213
03-02-2009, 12:38 AM
UPDATE (8:16 P.M.): Kings basketball president Geoff Petrie has confirmed the buyout.

"It's something going forward that we think made sense for us given where we are, and it made sense for him," Petrie said this evening by cell phone. "It got done about 25 minutes ago."

Drew Gooden's Sacramento stay is over.

The forward acquired Feb. 18 in the six-player trade with Chicago has agreed to a buyout agreement with the Kings and has been waived, according to sources close to Gooden with knowledge of the situation. He has an expiring contract and is owed $7.1 million this season, but Gooden had an interest in joining a playoff team in the season's final months. To do so, he had to be waived before tonight's 9 p.m. Pacific deadline for postseason roster eligibility. The Kings, according to the sources, saved approximately $2 million in the deal.

Gooden - who had been exploring this option in recent days - will likely be on his way to a more competitive team. Cleveland could be a possibility, as could San Antonio.

While Gooden has missed his last two games with a groin injury that kept him out of action from Jan. 19 until his Kings debut on Saturday, he remains committed to playing "until the wheels fall off" this season, as he said recently. While Gooden wasn't fully healthy in his one game with the Kings against Charlotte, he had 12 points and 13 rebounds in 26 minutes before leaving the floor hobbling in the fourth quarter. - Sam Amick

sacbee (http://www.sacbee.com/static/weblogs/sports/kings/archives/020217.html)

superkegger
03-02-2009, 12:40 AM
Interesting. He could definetly be a very nice pickup for somebody. With Big Ben down, and gooden spending a good deal of time there, you'd have to think the cavs would be interested and that gooden would be interested in going back there. Though maybe he resents them for trading him. Who knows. He'll definetly be a hotly contested sign though.

Catfish1314
03-02-2009, 12:42 AM
Interesting. He could definetly be a very nice pickup for somebody. With Big Ben down, and gooden spending a good deal of time there, you'd have to think the cavs would be interested and that gooden would be interested in going back there. Though maybe he resents them for trading him. Who knows. He'll definetly be a hotly contested sign though.

I was just saying the same thing in the Kings Forum.

Any contender would have interest in a 12 and 9 PF who can hit the midrange shot and crash the offensive glass with the best of them. I could see him going back to Cleveland, or to the Spurs, Celtics, Lakers, or Suns.

lakers4sho
03-02-2009, 12:43 AM
Lakers should at least attempt to get him.

oldenpolynice
03-02-2009, 12:45 AM
He brings a lot of skills to the table. I think injuries will be a concern for him for the rest of the season, but when he's healthy he can contribute in a major way.

NJrockPD
03-02-2009, 12:46 AM
I really don't get this move from the kings standpoint. He played one game for them and i beleive he got a double double, his contract ends at the end of the season. Why would they do this?

still1ballin
03-02-2009, 12:46 AM
He probably land in Boston

sacgiants1213
03-02-2009, 12:47 AM
i think gooden's on his way to cleveland.

Nikolishin
detroit

sacgiants1213
I really don't get this move from the kings standpoint. He played one game for them and i beleive he got a double double, his contract ends at the end of the season. Why would they do this?

this move saves us 2 million bucks.

superkegger
03-02-2009, 12:48 AM

give jason thompson,spencer hawes and donte greene as much playing time as possible. plus, if gooden helps them win games, how are they supposed to get blake griffin?

Nikolishin
03-02-2009, 12:50 AM
give jason thompson,spencer hawes and donte greene as much playing time as possible. plus, if gooden helps them win games, how are they supposed to get blake griffin?

get lucky in the lottery duh

lakers4sho
03-02-2009, 12:51 AM

I doubt it. Boston already has KG, Powe, Glen Davis, and now Mikki Moore to rotate in the 4 spot. I doubt the C's would waste money for a guy that wouldn't even get consistent minutes.

GunFactor187
03-02-2009, 12:52 AM
detroit

:clap:

superkegger
I doubt it. Boston already has KG, Powe, Glen Davis, and now Mikki Moore to rotate in the 4 spot. I doubt the C's would waste money for a guy that wouldn't even get consistent minutes.

I think if Boston were to get Gooden they wouldn't have a huge problem telling Mikki Moore to **** off.

lakers4sho
I think a more realistic destination would be San Antonio :shrug:

lakers4sho
03-02-2009, 12:53 AM
I think if Boston were to get Gooden they wouldn't have a huge problem telling Mikki Moore to **** off.

Yeah, but I doubt that they'll put him ahead of Leon Powe and Glen Davis. Those two are pretty much locked as 2nd and 3rd string PFs for the C's.

superkegger
03-02-2009, 12:54 AM
I think a more realistic destination would be San Antonio :shrug:

Yeah, it's probably between the spurs and the cavs.

superkegger
03-02-2009, 12:55 AM
Though he is from Oakland....maybe he wants to stay in Cali and play for the Lakers. :pray:

BostonFan4life
03-02-2009, 01:02 AM
Isn't too late for him to be on postseason rosters because I thought that it was the deadline tonight to have players on your team that were eligible to be put on a playoff roster.

Steely McBeam
03-02-2009, 01:10 AM
after these two past blowout losses, i think the spurs re-evaluate some things and sign him

hotpotato1092
03-02-2009, 01:16 AM
Joe Smith is headed to Cleveland so I'd cross them off, I think it comes down to San Antonio and the Lakers, I think the Lakers could make a more convincing pitch because without Bynum and with Odom in the starting lineup he'd likely be the first big off the bench and could see 20-25 minutes per game, in San Antonio he'd have to compete with guys like Oberto, Bonner, Pops Mensa Bonsu and even Austin Croshere. I think the Lakers would be the best fit.

BIGDRE24
03-02-2009, 01:33 AM
lakers need to get this guy asap cuz we are lacking big men in that paint especially somebody to grab boards.. and we could tell benga to ******* off lol

CHief_0_o_Wahoo
03-02-2009, 01:37 AM
Joe Smith is headed to Cleveland so I'd cross them off, I think it comes down to San Antonio and the Lakers, I think the Lakers could make a more convincing pitch because without Bynum and with Odom in the starting lineup he'd likely be the first big off the bench and could see 20-25 minutes per game, in San Antonio he'd have to compete with guys like Oberto, Bonner, Pops Mensa Bonsu and even Austin Croshere. I think the Lakers would be the best fit.

They showed interest in each other before Gooden had his buyout. SO don't cross them off quite yet. But it is likely Smith will be going to Cleveland instead of Gooden. I think Smith is a better playoff type guy anyways. But Gooden is definitely legit.

zambo4president
03-02-2009, 01:43 AM
Someone will atleast give him a roster spot.

Nirvanaskurdt
03-02-2009, 01:56 AM
^dope sig man .. shaun phillips is underated.. and a great player

Phoenix Suns will sign Gooden they'll make him look like an all star

rocky4104
03-02-2009, 03:42 AM
^dope sig man .. shaun phillips is underated.. and a great player

Phoenix Suns will sign Gooden they'll make him look like an all star

they have the best medical team on board, will fix his foot right up lol

though i prefer the suns sign swift

abe_froman
03-02-2009, 03:49 AM
he's a pretty good player,i'm sure someone will pick him up

EX-TREME
03-02-2009, 04:37 AM
hope orlando takes a look at him.

MagicBucsSox
03-02-2009, 05:07 AM
come back to orlando

sugarrayray
03-02-2009, 06:02 AM
Yeah, but I doubt that they'll put him ahead of Leon Powe and Glen Davis. Those two are pretty much locked as 2nd and 3rd string PFs for the C's.

im not saying he's going to boston, but if they signed him hed be the immediate back up for their bigs, at both the 4 and 5 spot, powe and davis are both undersized, gooden isnt and he almost averages a double double every year

DitchDat
03-02-2009, 07:44 AM

we don't have a roster spot for him

Testaverde16
03-02-2009, 08:12 AM
I'd like to see LA make this move, but I doubt it...

FarOutIos
03-02-2009, 08:24 AM
I agree with the previous post that mentioned the Suns for the destination. If Phoenix is still trying to get a playoff spot, they should pick him up. Even if he isn't eligible to play in the playoffs, at least they get in. Then, hopefully, Amare will be healthy enough to play.

Sportfan
03-02-2009, 08:40 AM

No way he goes to Boston. IMO he'll end up in Cleveland

pippsux
03-02-2009, 08:47 AM
He should go back to Cleveland, had some good years there.

Tblaze
03-02-2009, 09:11 AM
Lakers should at least attempt to get him.

I just hit my screen to crush that bug in your sig :mad:

JayW_1023
03-02-2009, 09:32 AM
Contenders like Orlando and Denver would really be a good fit. Gooden would help Howard on the glass...and Denver could always use a solid back up for injury prone K-Mart and Nene

Cleveland of course will be a player because they just lost Ben Wallace. Hopefully San Antonio can get him...he'd be a solid fit alongside Timmy because he can hit that 16 footer.

Maybe Philly is a possibility too...they need some solid rebounding after losing Brand...Gooden isn't as good a weakside defender and post scorer as Brand...but he is more mobile and wouldn't disrupt Philly's uptempo style as much.

JWalk126
03-02-2009, 09:34 AM

do they have the space for him?

Corey
03-02-2009, 09:39 AM
I don't see Boston going for him, but if they really wanted him..Gabe Pruitt or J.R. Giddens would be gone in a hurry.

Joshtd1
03-02-2009, 09:39 AM
Apparently SA is the front runner to land him according to their yahoo article.

Would love the pick up.

STAT32
03-02-2009, 09:48 AM
He would start here in Phoenix....

lakers4sho
03-02-2009, 10:40 AM
I just hit my screen to crush that bug in your sig :mad:

:laugh2:

zipsbgsu
03-02-2009, 11:20 AM
Boston does not have a roster spot for Gooden or any one else...Starberry took the last spot. I bet they are kicking themselves now.

Yogi
03-02-2009, 11:54 AM
He only played one game for the Kings.

showtym24
03-02-2009, 12:11 PM
Lakers need to get him now. Pau is tired.

bostncelts34
03-02-2009, 12:32 PM

haha true that. I mean, what ive seen of Mikki is alright, nothing special..decent guy to eat up minutes. But if we could get Gooden....id say bye bye to mikki in a heartbeat.

mrblisterdundee
03-02-2009, 01:02 PM
Any real contender will realize how valuable Gooden is and pick him up. He is a very consistent big man. I thought he was the second best player when he was on the Cavaliers.

TheChosenOne88
03-02-2009, 01:49 PM
I have no clue where he will end up. The Cavs are about to get Joe Smith and they are telling Trey Johnson to take a hike to get him, so they don't have the room and I don't see them getting rid of anyone except maybe Eric Snow to sign Gooden. It makes sense for Gooden to come back to the Cavs because he knows the system, but I don't think the Cavs want him that bad. The Celtics signed Marbury and Moore so they don't have the room, if KG was out longer I bet the Celtics would be all over him though. The Lakers have the room so there is a possibility he could land there, but they haven't shown interest. Dallas reportedly has shown interest, but they don't have any room. San Antonio is reportedly the front runner, but they don't have room. The Suns seem like they would be a good fit and they have plenty of room, but how will Gooden fit into the rotation when Amare comes back for the playoffs (if they make the playoffs)? The Nuggets have room, but I just don't see him going there because he won't fit into the rotation.

what54!?
03-02-2009, 01:51 PM
I think he's going to the Spurs. He would probably get the most PT there.

Skin&Bones
03-02-2009, 02:46 PM
Any contender he goes to he will be a huge boost.

Joshtd1
03-02-2009, 04:13 PM
I have no clue where he will end up. The Cavs are about to get Joe Smith and they are telling Trey Johnson to take a hike to get him, so they don't have the room and I don't see them getting rid of anyone except maybe Eric Snow to sign Gooden. It makes sense for Gooden to come back to the Cavs because he knows the system, but I don't think the Cavs want him that bad. The Celtics signed Marbury and Moore so they don't have the room, if KG was out longer I bet the Celtics would be all over him though. The Lakers have the room so there is a possibility he could land there, but they haven't shown interest. Dallas reportedly has shown interest, but they don't have any room. San Antonio is reportedly the front runner, but they don't have room. The Suns seem like they would be a good fit and they have plenty of room, but how will Gooden fit into the rotation when Amare comes back for the playoffs (if they make the playoffs)? The Nuggets have room, but I just don't see him going there because he won't fit into the rotation.

Bye bye Pops Mensah Bonsu or Malik Hairston if Gooden wants to sign here.

superkegger
03-02-2009, 04:20 PM
Yeah, having the room isn't really an issue for most teams. To add gooden, a guy who at one point was a starter on a Finals team no less, most of those top teams will gladly release somebody.

NYKnickFanatic
03-02-2009, 04:24 PM
Spurs or Mavs.

GrkGawdofWalkz
03-02-2009, 04:35 PM
This is someone the Spurs need desperately. He would provide a much needed additional banger. He's a younger and more athletic Thomas and would definitely help us right away.

chicagowhitesox
03-02-2009, 05:14 PM
i bet he returns to cleveland, unless he has bad feelings for them now. he's a big upgrade over varejao.

TheChosenOne88
03-02-2009, 05:19 PM
Bye bye Pops Mensah Bonsu or Malik Hairston if Gooden wants to sign here.

I actually hope the Spurs hang on to Pops, from watching the Cavs-Spurs game last week he was the only one on the Spurs still fighting.

Joshtd1
03-02-2009, 05:33 PM
I actually hope the Spurs hang on to Pops, from watching the Cavs-Spurs game last week he was the only one on the Spurs still fighting.

Oh believe me Id love to keep him, he really impressed me. However if Gooden wanted to sign here, I just dont see us holding on to him since we are in win now mode.

Personally I want to get rid of Udoka.

The Panch
03-02-2009, 05:40 PM
Probably Cleveland

DreamShaker
03-02-2009, 09:15 PM
The Cavs have the most money to throw around....so they have thier pick of Smith or Gooden.

KB24PG16
03-02-2009, 09:17 PM
i thought he cant play in the playoffs because its past march 1st

Chronz
03-02-2009, 09:23 PM
Gooden to the spurs, Joe Smith to the Cavs, and Stro to the Suns

That was to be waived, the deadline to sign players is the end of the month I think.

DreamShaker
03-02-2009, 09:28 PM
Gooden to the spurs, Joe Smith to the Cavs, and Stro to the Suns

That was to be waived, the deadline to sign players is the end of the month I think.

I forgot about Stro Swift!! He was invented by Jesus to play with Nash or Kidd....

greatest2
03-02-2009, 09:51 PM
I hope the Cavs get him. Theyll be in a serious spot for a championship if he goes bak.

greatest2
03-02-2009, 09:52 PM

sucks for u

greatest2
03-02-2009, 09:54 PM
Lakers need to get him now. Pau is tired.

it wont happen keep dreamin.

JayW_1023
03-03-2009, 06:05 AM
Would be nice having him on the Spurs.