PDA

View Full Version : Mike Conley: Legit-Not Legit?

oldenpolynice
03-01-2009, 11:36 PM
Conley is a former Ohio State standout and a good friend of Greg Oden. Now that Kyle Lowry has been traded, he is the primary point guard on the Grizzlies.

So is Mike Conley legit? Or not legit?

Read the statements both pro and con and don't forget to vote.

http://davissportsdeli.com/wordpress/2009/03/01/legit-not-legit-mike-conley/

kswissdaf
03-01-2009, 11:38 PM
Yes i think he is. I Knew he would new a top 5 pick in the draft before most ppl had ever heard his name. He has a great feel for the game

VCaintdead17
03-01-2009, 11:40 PM
He will develop alot more with the playing time he will be getting now, I think he will be a solid player

oldenpolynice
03-01-2009, 11:41 PM
Yes i think he is. I Knew he would new a top 5 pick in the draft before most ppl had ever heard his name. He has a great feel for the game

I agree that he has a great feel for the game, but I think there are flaws that limit him offensively as a PG. And he hasn't been to improve the play of his teammates since becoming the starter. The team is still losing big and his teammates aren't putting up better numbers.

The Panch
03-01-2009, 11:41 PM
I think he will be legit, not this year, probably not next year, but will def be a top 10 PG the year after.

superkegger
03-01-2009, 11:44 PM
I'm really not sure, but I lean toward him being legit. He's shown flashes of being very good, and usually bad players don't do that. Also, he's in a tough spot in more than one way. He's the pg for a bad team, and he has two guys in Mayo and Gay who both want to shoot. So how do you satisfy them, as well keep the team balanced and playing in rhythm? Plus, he's young and leading a team in the highest level basketball leauge in the world. So, its tough, but I think, with time, he'll figure it out more and more, and as he grows so will the grizzlies.

oldenpolynice
03-01-2009, 11:48 PM
I'm really not sure, but I lean toward him being legit. He's shown flashes of being very good, and usually bad players don't do that. Also, he's in a tough spot in more than one way. He's the pg for a bad team, and he has two guys in Mayo and Gay who both want to shoot. So how do you satisfy them, as well keep the team balanced and playing in rhythm? Plus, he's young and leading a team in the highest level basketball leauge in the world. So, its tough, but I think, with time, he'll figure it out more and more, and as he grows so will the grizzlies.

If he's able to figure that part out, I will concede that he is legit. I hope that he does figure it out, but he hasn't shown that he can do it yet.

dee279
03-02-2009, 12:07 AM
He reminds me of Telfair, has all the tools except a consistent jump shot and unless u can consistently drive to the goal, u are not a legit point guard

nygiants242
03-02-2009, 12:08 AM
I for sure think he is legit. He was good in college and is finally coming around and showing he can do it at the professional level as well.

superkegger
03-02-2009, 12:09 AM
If he's able to figure that part out, I will concede that he is legit. I hope that he does figure it out, but he hasn't shown that he can do it yet.

Agreed. It's a tough role for him to figure out, because you know Gay and Mayo both absolutely want the ball every time. It may not be a competition between the two, but both beleive they should get the ball. And now, its pretty much all on Conley to make sure both are happy, and then still make sure that everyone else is getting enough touches, and making sure the offense is actually running like it's supposed to. Of all the young pg's in the NBA, he's got one of the most difficult jobs. And so, I'm really not surprised it's taking him a little time to figure it out, but I think he's good enough to figure it out, and I think once he does, we'll see the calm cool and collected Mike Conley we thought we would.

Ragun
03-02-2009, 12:33 AM
hes legit. needs time.

oldenpolynice
03-02-2009, 12:41 AM
Agreed. It's a tough role for him to figure out, because you know Gay and Mayo both absolutely want the ball every time. It may not be a competition between the two, but both beleive they should get the ball. And now, its pretty much all on Conley to make sure both are happy, and then still make sure that everyone else is getting enough touches, and making sure the offense is actually running like it's supposed to. Of all the young pg's in the NBA, he's got one of the most difficult jobs. And so, I'm really not surprised it's taking him a little time to figure it out, but I think he's good enough to figure it out, and I think once he does, we'll see the calm cool and collected Mike Conley we thought we would.

It's not quite that bad. Mayo usually defers to Gay in situations where Mayo doesn't have an open shot. Gay, not so much. He'll take any shot anywhere.

superkegger
03-02-2009, 12:59 AM
It's not quite that bad. Mayo usually defers to Gay in situations where Mayo doesn't have an open shot. Gay, not so much. He'll take any shot anywhere.

Right, but mayo still wants the ball, even if he will defer, he at least wants that chance to make the decision for himself. if that makes sense.

mzgrizz
03-02-2009, 01:14 AM

HAHAHAHAH You been watching our games!!! Rudy never turned down a shot since I've been watching him!
As to Conley, he's coming around nicely. I think he'll get better and better. He's legit.

Steely McBeam
03-02-2009, 01:15 AM
I don't think he is legit, i think hes one of those guys who would have been a world better if he stayed at ohio state for a couple years

oldenpolynice
03-02-2009, 01:17 AM
HAHAHAHAH You been watching our games!!! Rudy never turned down a shot since I've been watching him!
As to Conley, he's coming around nicely. I think he'll get better and better. He's legit.

Yeah, Rudy's definitely one of the top ball hogs in the league. Allen Iverson is king of the ball hogs though.

GSW fan
03-02-2009, 02:04 AM
he will probably be good. not great but not bad either

oldenpolynice
03-02-2009, 02:21 AM
I don't think he is legit, i think hes one of those guys who would have been a world better if he stayed at ohio state for a couple years

I agree. I think he only came out early because his boy Oden was coming out and he knew he was going to be a lottery pick. Worked out well from a financial perspective :D. But he could have stayed and developed a lot more.

oldenpolynice
03-02-2009, 05:56 PM
We need more votes for Not Legit!

Deezy Dee 24
03-02-2009, 06:11 PM
YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! he is legit
i get to watch him play every game

Cleavage
03-02-2009, 06:12 PM
Not seen him much. he was alright in college not amazing. Time will tell

Hawkeye15
03-02-2009, 07:26 PM
He wont be a star, but I think he could be the lead guard for a playoff team no problem down the line. He really should have stayed at Ohio St another year

joeboow90
03-02-2009, 07:33 PM
I think hes legit. He just needs some time since he came out after his freshman year of college, he would be a junior right now so we gotta remember that too. But yea in a year or two he should be with the other top tier PGs.

oldenpolynice
03-02-2009, 09:07 PM
He wont be a star, but I think he could be the lead guard for a playoff team no problem down the line. He really should have stayed at Ohio St another year

You thinking Tony Parker status? Maybe Devin Harris? I think that's his ceiling, Devin Harris. And even then I don't think he'll get to quite that same level.

DreamShaker
03-02-2009, 09:09 PM
He's too legit to quit.

mrblisterdundee
03-02-2009, 10:03 PM
Mike Conley will be a good young point guard for the Grizzlies. The Grizzlies have a great young core. I look forward to seeing their new starting line-up:

PG - Mike COnley Jr.
SG - OJ Mayo
SF - Rudy Gay
PF - Darrell Arthur
C - Marc Gasol

That is a very good, young line-up. There are two solid leaders in Mayo and Gay. Gasol is a developing, yet talented big man. Darrell Arthur will be a solid role player. Mike Conley will have plenty of places to distribute the ball.

oldenpolynice
03-02-2009, 10:04 PM
He's too legit to quit.

There's the response I was waiting for. Way to carry on tradition.

oldenpolynice
03-02-2009, 10:06 PM
Mike Conley will be a good young point guard for the Grizzlies. The Grizzlies have a great young core. I look forward to seeing their new starting line-up:

PG - Mike COnley Jr.
SG - OJ Mayo
SF - Rudy Gay
PF - Darrell Arthur
C - Marc Gasol

That is a very good, young line-up. There are two solid leaders in Mayo and Gay. Gasol is a developing, yet talented big man. Darrell Arthur will be a solid role player. Mike Conley will have plenty of places to distribute the ball.

No disrespect, but if Gay was the leader of my team I'd shoot myself. He's one of the most selfish players in the league right now and not at all a good example for the younger guys. Why? Cuz he's always gotta get his.

dre1990
03-02-2009, 10:26 PM
I havent seen him that much since his Ohio State games

oldenpolynice
03-02-2009, 10:54 PM
I havent seen him that much since his Ohio State games

Don't blame you on that one. Memphis is a tough team to watch. Read the article though and let us convince you one way or the other. Then you can vote. (link is in original post).

EAGLES3658
03-02-2009, 11:17 PM
He is legit.

td0tsfinest
03-03-2009, 12:01 AM
I don't think he's legit. He's putting up great numbers recently but dude couldn't get the starting spot over kyle lowry.

I think at most he will become a rafer alston type point guard. Will he be an all-star? I don't think so.

Korman12
03-03-2009, 01:23 AM
He did lose some starting time to Lowry, yes, but even before Lowry was traded Conley regained the starting role for Memphis. The kid has a had a slow start in part due to injuries and a slow development, but coming in the kid was viewed as a slight project who would mature after a few seasons. He has very good size for his position, is very unselfish, and has a very high basketball IQ for his age. He isn't the power point guard that Paul, Williams, or Rose are (or most likely will ever be) but he is a valuable player with loads of time to develop (barring injury). I say legit.

charlsdq7
03-03-2009, 01:35 AM
Bust

EX-TREME
03-03-2009, 07:40 AM
legit

HOZ THE KNICK
03-03-2009, 08:43 AM
legit as you going to get remember ever player dosen't come out the gate like derrick rose but he's developing nice and slow.

chicagowhitesox
03-03-2009, 12:17 PM
he's a legit starting pg. nothing special, though. he won't be an all-star.

oldenpolynice
03-03-2009, 01:19 PM
he's a legit starting pg. nothing special, though. he won't be an all-star.

Would you take him as your playoff PG?

RealistRocket34
03-03-2009, 05:25 PM
Are we talking about the same Mike Conley whose nickname is

Mike "No Offense No Defense" Conley

If so, then Not Legit.

oldenpolynice
03-03-2009, 05:46 PM
Are we talking about the same Mike Conley whose nickname is

Mike "No Offense No Defense" Conley

If so, then Not Legit.

Uh, not sure we can call him "no offense" this month (by that, I mean Feb), but yeah. Not Legit!

Cassidy28
03-03-2009, 06:02 PM
Hes legit

Missing56&33
03-03-2009, 06:22 PM
I think he is, i thought he would be leading the Griz at this point of his career but hes not. I do think he will get better and be like a TJ Ford

oldenpolynice
03-03-2009, 06:35 PM
I think he is, i thought he would be leading the Griz at this point of his career but hes not. I do think he will get better and be like a TJ Ford

Wait a minute. Is this a good thing? T.J. Ford is a platoon PG everywhere he goes. Even in Indy he's platooning with Jarrett Jack. Not exactly the first guy I think of when I think of legit...

Missing56&33
03-03-2009, 06:41 PM
Wait a minute. Is this a good thing? T.J. Ford is a platoon PG everywhere he goes. Even in Indy he's platooning with Jarrett Jack. Not exactly the first guy I think of when I think of legit...

Im talking TJ Fords game. he has a nice game, JJ is playing better than him right now, i dont know the story in indy but TJ is a solid PG, tough too. MC reminds me of him the way he plays but TJ is good

haircanada
03-03-2009, 06:52 PM
legit foooo shoooo

lets_go_yankees
03-03-2009, 06:59 PM
he's a good future pointguard

oldenpolynice
03-03-2009, 09:12 PM
Im talking TJ Fords game. he has a nice game, JJ is playing better than him right now, i dont know the story in indy but TJ is a solid PG, tough too. MC reminds me of him the way he plays but TJ is good

Career averages show that Ford is a poor shooter who turns the ball over too often to be considered an upper tier PG. He's one of those guys who you always have to use in a PG-by-committee way. He's good, but not he's that good.

oldenpolynice
03-04-2009, 03:12 AM
Conley's line tonight: 13 pts, 6 ast, 4-13 FG. Played 37 minutes. Granted, it was against the Lakers, but this is the guy you're all calling legit? Not seeing it.

Kyle916
03-04-2009, 06:53 AM
He definitely can be legit...

oldenpolynice
03-04-2009, 11:50 PM
He definitely can be legit...

Yeah, but from what you've seen, read, and heard (mostly seen if you've seen him) IS he legit?

oldenpolynice
03-05-2009, 06:19 PM
Don't know if this deserves it's own thread, so I'm putting it here. In Wednesday's game against the Clips, Boom Dizzle chipped Conley's tooth... and Conley got called for the foul.

No respect. I get no respect. (That's Conley's inner monologue).

http://nba.fanhouse.com/2009/03/05/mike-conley-fouls-baron-davis-with-his-teeth-pays-the-price/

LTS
03-05-2009, 06:33 PM
legit wait for him to mature or be traded before he shoes just how good he is give him 4-5 years in the league or a trade and hes top 10

oldenpolynice
03-05-2009, 06:45 PM
legit wait for him to mature or be traded before he shoes just how good he is give him 4-5 years in the league or a trade and hes top 10

Top 10 point guards? Or Top 10 players from his draft class?

I'm willing to agree with you on the second one, but not the first.

LTS
03-05-2009, 06:57 PM
Top 10 point guards? Or Top 10 players from his draft class?

I'm willing to agree with you on the second one, but not the first.

PG think about who's going to be around the only definite best of the best our
CP3, D-Will past that PG's of old our declining and the new our going to take there place Conley class of 07 (not that long ago) has yet to mature and still has shown great potential on a god awful team.

i look at Memphis kinda like Portland before Roy there awful then they slowley get there young players roy, aldridge (Conley, Gay, Mayo) they start maturing and then hay there playoff contenders conley will be good CP3 good no top 10 PG good yes

oldenpolynice
03-05-2009, 07:12 PM
PG think about who's going to be around the only definite best of the best our
CP3, D-Will past that PG's of old our declining and the new our going to take there place Conley class of 07 (not that long ago) has yet to mature and still has shown great potential on a god awful team.

i look at Memphis kinda like Portland before Roy there awful then they slowley get there young players roy, aldridge (Conley, Gay, Mayo) they start maturing and then hay there playoff contenders conley will be good CP3 good no top 10 PG good yes

In four years, CP3, D-Will, Tony Parker, Devin Harris, Rajon Rondo, and Derrick Rose will all be around. None of those six will have eroded to the point where you can say they won't be Top 10.

That leaves only four more spots, and there will be four more draft classes between then and now. Let's say there are two Top 10 PGs who come out of those drafts (which is realistic).

Now there are only two more spots left. Mo Williams, and Jameer Nelson are heavy contenders for those remaining spots. Will they be better than Conley at that point in time? I say yes, but we'll see.

Other guys who Conley will have to leapfrog: D.J. Augustin, Russell Westbrook, Jordan Farmar, and Kyle Lowry.

I don't think Conley will ever be Top 10 PG. If he does, it's only for a season.

LTS
03-05-2009, 07:46 PM
In four years, CP3, D-Will, Tony Parker, Devin Harris, Rajon Rondo, and Derrick Rose will all be around. None of those six will have eroded to the point where you can say they won't be Top 10.

That leaves only four more spots, and there will be four more draft classes between then and now. Let's say there are two Top 10 PGs who come out of those drafts (which is realistic).

Now there are only two more spots left. Mo Williams, and Jameer Nelson are heavy contenders for those remaining spots. Will they be better than Conley at that point in time? I say yes, but we'll see.

Other guys who Conley will have to leapfrog: D.J. Augustin, Russell Westbrook, Jordan Farmar, and Kyle Lowry.

I don't think Conley will ever be Top 10 PG. If he does, it's only for a season.

I dont see the next 2 top 10 pgs coming out of the next couple years nelson big ?'s after a injury Westbrook yes Rondo I dont buy the hype

Conley is efficient & accurate and still young if the players develop around him then his AST will go up because people will be hitting more shots and he will start to get more comfortable taking his shots onlt time will tell but he looks very legit and will be a contender for top 10

CHief_0_o_Wahoo
03-05-2009, 07:52 PM
He is a legit PG, I don't see how he is not. I mean he is having some success on a bad team, and that being said is one of the harder things to do in the PG position. Unless obviously you primarily are a scorer, and then a passer.

oldenpolynice
03-05-2009, 08:21 PM
I dont see the next 2 top 10 pgs coming out of the next couple years nelson big ?'s after a injury Westbrook yes Rondo I dont buy the hype

Conley is efficient & accurate and still young if the players develop around him then his AST will go up because people will be hitting more shots and he will start to get more comfortable taking his shots onlt time will tell but he looks very legit and will be a contender for top 10

Wait. You think Conley's going to be a Top 10 PG, but you think Rondo is overhyped? Since when is a two-way point guard (who has great skills on both ends of the court) an overhyped player, and a guy who has had one good month after a completely ****** rookie season a potential Top 10 PG?

I don't even have to bother with stats on this one. Poll any coach, GM, or player with half a brain around the league and they'd take Rondo over Conley before you can get the words out of your mouth.

Rondo is a championship-winning PG. Conley has never even sniffed the playoffs, let alone a winning record.

Your argument is ridiculous. And BTW, Jameer Nelson cleared up all of those question marks when he made the All-Star game this season. Why do you think his team was doing so crappy without him?

LTS
03-05-2009, 08:34 PM
Wait. You think Conley's going to be a Top 10 PG, but you think Rondo is overhyped? Since when is a two-way point guard (who has great skills on both ends of the court) an overhyped player, and a guy who has had one good month after a completely ****** rookie season a potential Top 10 PG?

I don't even have to bother with stats on this one. Poll any coach, GM, or player with half a brain around the league and they'd take Rondo over Conley before you can get the words out of your mouth.

Rondo is a championship-winning PG. Conley has never even sniffed the playoffs, let alone a winning record.

Your argument is ridiculous. And BTW, Jameer Nelson cleared up all of those question marks when he made the All-Star game this season. Why do you think his team was doing so crappy without him?

the question marks our how he will return from thoses injurys

really he won that championship it wasnt the HOF Ray allan & KG w/paul pierce

And tell me that rondo makes the playoffs w/o those 3

Conley is on a crappy team if he was CP3 he would get to playoffs. no one is saying he is that good but rondo good yes

thedfactor
03-05-2009, 08:39 PM
Not Legit. He was a bust at the #3 spot. Even Oden hasn't been top pick worthy with all his injuries. If he can get and stay healthy perhaps he will show he was the right choice. As of now Kevin Durant is by far the best in that draft. Even Al Horford is better than Oden now IMO.

baller1532
03-05-2009, 08:49 PM
legit, just needs time to develop

DwillKB8
03-05-2009, 08:54 PM
He could be, but i thought he'd be better at this point in his career!

oldenpolynice
03-05-2009, 09:25 PM
the question marks our how he will return from thoses injurys

really he won that championship it wasnt the HOF Ray allan & KG w/paul pierce

And tell me that rondo makes the playoffs w/o those 3

Conley is on a crappy team if he was CP3 he would get to playoffs. no one is saying he is that good but rondo good yes

I'll go the opposite direction. Tell me Conley wins the championship with The Big 3. You don't think Atlanta, Detroit, Cleveland, or L.A. would have exploited his complete and utter lack of defense? Rondo averaged 10.2 pts, 6.6 ast, 4.1 reb, and 1.7 stl in the playoffs last year.

Points-wise and (maybe) assists-wise Conley could have matched that, but the other things that Rondo bring to the table blow Conley out of the water.
He's more successful because he is a very good finisher around the rim, makes smart passes, and plays incredible defense.

LTS
03-06-2009, 03:14 PM
I'll go the opposite direction. Tell me Conley wins the championship with The Big 3. You don't think Atlanta, Detroit, Cleveland, or L.A. would have exploited his complete and utter lack of defense? Rondo averaged 10.2 pts, 6.6 ast, 4.1 reb, and 1.7 stl in the playoffs last year.

Points-wise and (maybe) assists-wise Conley could have matched that, but the other things that Rondo bring to the table blow Conley out of the water.
He's more successful because he is a very good finisher around the rim, makes smart passes, and plays incredible defense.

yes i believe he does big 3 elevate Rondo's play same as it would conley

oldenpolynice
03-06-2009, 04:06 PM
yes i believe he does big 3 elevate Rondo's play same as it would conley

To some extent, yeah, it would elevate Conley's play. But even with the extra boost that he would get from playing with the Big Three, he wouldn't be a top notch defender like Rondo, or rebound at the same rate. Rondo is a terrific rebounder for a guard.

My point is this: Rondo can do everything Conley can do. Plus he shoots a much better percentage from the field, he defends better, and he rebounds better.

It's no contest. Rondo is the better PG. Ask anyone.