PDA

View Full Version : Are the Seeds 1-9 in the Western Conference Serious Contenders?

ProdigyI
03-01-2009, 11:11 PM
I think that all those 9 teams are contenders. I cant remember any other year where as many as 9 teams in one conference were serious contenders for the title.

1. * LA Lakers --
2. * San Antonio 7.5
3. * Denver 8.5
4. Houston 10.0
5. New Orleans 11.0
6. Portland 11.0
7. Utah 11.5
8. Dallas 12.0
9. Phoenix 13.5

You can make a case for any of those 9 teams and IMO, they all have a serious chance to win it all.

I think the Jazz can go all the way to the finals and I think with Shaq playing like his old days, that Pheonix could very well upset the Lakers if they get the 8th seed

NYstateofMinD
03-02-2009, 12:20 AM
Honestly to me the Lakers are serious contenders, the Jazz and the Spurs..if all are healthy. I would say the Rockets too if Tracy was healthy but we know this season they are not going to be fully healthy and I just don't see the Rockets over the hump. Just think about Tracy and Yao 2-3 years ago..are Yao and Artest really better? Every other team is good but not championship contender good.

NYMetros
03-02-2009, 12:27 AM
Honestly to me the Lakers are serious contenders, the Jazz and the Spurs..if all are healthy. I would say the Rockets too if Tracy was healthy but we know this season they are not going to be fully healthy and I just don't see the Rockets over the hump. Just think about Tracy and Yao 2-3 years ago..are Yao and Artest really better? Every other team is good but not championship contender good.

The Rockets are better with McGrady out IMO. When he is in the game everyone just stands around and waits for him to do something. They should have traded him away a long time ago.

I think that all those 9 teams are contenders. I cant remember any other year where as many as 9 teams in one conference were serious contenders for the title.

1. * LA Lakers --
2. * San Antonio 7.5
3. * Denver 8.5
4. Houston 10.0
5. New Orleans 11.0
6. Portland 11.0
7. Utah 11.5
8. Dallas 12.0
9. Phoenix 13.5

You can make a case for any of those 9 teams and IMO, they all have a serious chance to win it all.

I think the Jazz can go all the way to the finals and I think with Shaq playing like his old days, that Pheonix could very well upset the Lakers if they get the 8th seed

Yeah, I think all of them have the potential to win the Championship. The Lakers are obviously the cream of the crop in that conference, but I could easily see them getting knocked off by a team like Phoenix who will just run them out of the building.

SF25
03-02-2009, 12:32 AM

1. * LA Lakers --
2. * San Antonio 7.5
3. * Denver 8.5
4. Houston 10.0
5. New Orleans 11.0
6. Portland 11.0
7. Utah 11.5
8. Dallas 12.0
9. Phoenix 13.5

Ahem, the Blazers are above the Hornets. Get it right. lol jk but they are.

I think they're all great teams, Utah and Phoenix both have been playing great as of late. I think those teams will all be in the top 9 at the end of the regular season just where exactly they'll be in that top 9 will definitely change.

Kyben36
03-02-2009, 12:33 AM
Any of those teams could pull it out of their *** in the playoffs.

superkegger
03-02-2009, 12:38 AM
I think matchups in the west are going to be so crucial. Hmm. That's a pretty obvious statement, whatever though, once the playoffs start in the west, record means jack, because all of these teams have proven that they can pretty much beat eachother. The Lakers standout as the favorites, but they are still beatable.

AIMelo=KillaDUO
03-02-2009, 12:43 AM
The serious contendors are

Lakers
Spurs (IF HEALTHY)
Jazz (IF HEALTHY)

superkegger
03-02-2009, 12:49 AM
The serious contendors are

Lakers
Spurs
Jazz (IF HEALTHY)

I think you should put the if healthy disclaimer next to the spurs as well. If Manu is not healthy, and is not playing like hes healthy, I don't think the spurs will be a serious challenger.

EX-TREME
03-03-2009, 07:02 AM
lakers and spurs.

kurtismurray
03-03-2009, 07:35 AM
Jazz
Lakers
Spurs

IMO, Jazz have best shot. Finally playing with planned line up and just rollin'. I mean... Deron, Brewer, CJ, Booz and Memo.... Korver, Knight, Millsap, Kirilenko, Harpring off bench.

DrDEADalready
03-03-2009, 11:04 AM
Yeah I think all of them can win it all.have to bring it everynight. but the more serious contenders are. Lakers,Spurs and Jazz.

hotdogbun
03-03-2009, 11:12 AM
im actually worried cuz the lakers will face either mavs,suns,rockets,jazz in the 1st round while celtics,cavs will face teams like 76ers,bucks,bulls,nets

JordansBulls
03-03-2009, 11:18 AM

1. * LA Lakers --
2. * San Antonio 7.5
3. * Denver 8.5
4. Houston 10.0
5. New Orleans 11.0
6. Portland 11.0
7. Utah 11.5
8. Dallas 12.0
9. Phoenix 13.5

I think you worded this differently. I think each of these teams are good enough to upset a team that is a contender, but by no means are they good enough to win it all. That's the difference between being a contender and not.

CHief_0_o_Wahoo
03-03-2009, 11:19 AM
If all of these teams can stay healthy, then yes I think any of them could pull it out.

jimbobjarree
03-03-2009, 11:30 AM
I still think for the Jazz to win it somebody has to knock out the Spurs for them, and maybe the Lakers...I'd still feel we had a slight chance against the Lakers though, that series last year was tighter than people think.

mitch91
03-03-2009, 11:33 AM
personally i think it would be better for the suns to get the 8th seed and face the lakers than say the 7th seed and face the spurs who we can never beat. i think the suns find it easier to make the lakers run than the spurs.

but yeh i think the match ups could go anyway really. i still think it will be the lakers who take the west but the results are not as clear cut as they are in the east imo

king4day
03-03-2009, 11:42 AM
im actually worried cuz the lakers will face either mavs,suns,rockets,jazz in the 1st round while celtics,cavs will face teams like 76ers,bucks,bulls,nets

That didn't stop LA last year.

mrblisterdundee
03-03-2009, 12:53 PM
Only the Lakers and the Spurs are contenders. There is no other team in the West that can win a title right now. The Suns are too weak defensively. Denver and New Orleans don't have the depth. Houston lost to injury or traded away two of their best players. The Mavericks don't have enough leadership, and their point guard is too old. The Jazz haven't had enough time without injuries to sync their starting line-up. Finally, the Trail Blazers are too young.

what54!?
03-03-2009, 12:57 PM
Only the Lakers and the Spurs are contenders. There is no other team in the West that can win a title right now. The Suns are too weak defensively. Denver and New Orleans don't have the depth. Houston lost to injury or traded away two of their best players. The Mavericks don't have enough leadership, and their point guard is too old. The Jazz haven't had enough time without injuries to sync their starting line-up. Finally, the Trail Blazers are too young.agreed

Verbal Christ
03-03-2009, 01:24 PM
with all the experts on this one im shocked no one is calling a bookie.

alexander_37
03-03-2009, 11:50 PM
T-mac was not playing very well, Rafer Alston was a piece of ****.

Houston has played amazingly recently, and is now in 3rd.

Ron is on fire.
Luis is the picture of consistency.
Yao is dominant.
Brooks is god.

Spurred1
03-03-2009, 11:56 PM
Now, at what point are the Trailblazers going to be old enough to contend? Two years? Five years? They're a pretty good team now-be interesting to see how far they can go this year.

JayW_1023
03-04-2009, 05:01 AM
Adding guys like Gooden, Mason, Hill and the emergence of Bonner as a solid part time player will make the Spurs a far more dangerous team when healthy...than last year. Our depth is insane now.

The Lakers better hope they get Bynum back in time with the Spurs improving on both ends, Houston finally getting a clear rotation (they have the length and defense to really match up well) and some veteran guys, Utah being healthy with their young players much improved. Denver is a nightmare with all those scorers and rebounders...and they have improved defensively.

I like Portland but they aren't contenders yet...they are a very good team. But I think in the postseason their youth will finally show.

Those four teams have a legit shot of beating LA without Bynum. With Bynum, the Lakers have to be considered clear cut favorites. And having the best record and blowing out the regular seasons can take it's toll in the postseason, as we've seen if Dallas three years ago.

Winning the NBA title is a marathon not a sprint.

ddaughtry
03-04-2009, 06:11 AM
The Lakers ran through all the teams in the Western Conference last year without Bynum and there is no reason to believe they won't this year. The Lakers are the only contenders for the championship in the West and the Celtics and Cavalier are the only contenders in the East. All the other teams that make the playoffs can have hope, but in playoff series, the best team usually wins. The Lakers are that, whatever conference you're talking about. Period.

JayW_1023
03-04-2009, 10:57 AM
The Lakers ran through all the teams in the Western Conference last year without Bynum and there is no reason to believe they won't this year. The Lakers are the only contenders for the championship in the West and the Celtics and Cavalier are the only contenders in the East. All the other teams that make the playoffs can have hope, but in playoff series, the best team usually wins. The Lakers are that, whatever conference you're talking about. Period.

That's only a half truth assuming the landscape in the West hasn't changed...while actually it has.

JordansBulls
03-04-2009, 11:10 AM
personally i think it would be better for the suns to get the 8th seed and face the lakers than say the 7th seed and face the spurs who we can never beat. i think the suns find it easier to make the lakers run than the spurs.

but yeh i think the match ups could go anyway really. i still think it will be the lakers who take the west but the results are not as clear cut as they are in the east imo

Would having Amare help them against the Lakers or no?

JJ81
03-04-2009, 12:26 PM
I want Dallas to finish 8th

Fire&Ice2&33
03-04-2009, 02:23 PM
Houston rockets baby

tracy i wish you were playing

GoatMilk
03-04-2009, 02:38 PM
I want Dallas to finish 8th

i want the hornots

Vidball
03-04-2009, 02:41 PM
I don't think Dallas, PHX or POR are contenders this year at all. I would be shocked if any of those teams made it to the WCF.

Vinny642
03-04-2009, 03:28 PM
i want the hornots

R you a Faker fan, we can name change all we want but that doesn't make us cool. With Chandler back we haven't lost, so u might want another team number 8.

charlsdq7
03-04-2009, 03:33 PM
I think only the top 3 in both conferences are legit contenders

Rockets Fanatic
03-04-2009, 06:31 PM
Tonights Jazz-Rockets Game will say a lot

FOBolous
03-04-2009, 07:05 PM
Only the Lakers and the Spurs are contenders. There is no other team in the West that can win a title right now. The Suns are too weak defensively. Denver and New Orleans don't have the depth. Houston lost to injury or traded away two of their best players. The Mavericks don't have enough leadership, and their point guard is too old. The Jazz haven't had enough time without injuries to sync their starting line-up. Finally, the Trail Blazers are too young.

A lot of Rockets fan will disagree with you on that. Almost every Rockets fan wants to get rid of Tmac and is happy Tmac is out for the season. Houston plays A LOT better without Tmac hogging the ball and playing half-@$S on the court. Rafer Alston, though very solid, is very inconsistant. Many Rockets fans have been wanting to replace Alston as a starter for Aaron Brooks and many celebrated the fact that Alston was traded and Brooks is now the starter. Our coach agrees with us too. Over the course of the season, Adleman have opted to have Brooks close out games instead of Alston so basically...Alston would start the game but Brooks would finish it.

so yeea...it is the opinion of many Rockets fans that our team is BETTER without Tmac and Rafer Alston. The very fact we surged from the 5th spot in the tough Western Conference to the 3rd spot since losing those two players while overcoming teams like Portland and Cleveland proves we're right.

Fear_GAS_OLDier
03-04-2009, 07:25 PM
lakers are the only contender

greatest2
03-04-2009, 07:30 PM
maybe, but i think the Lakers and the Spurs just cancel the other teams out. Especially with Gooden now, I think one of those two teams will be in the Finals. All i gotta say is, I really hope someone upsets the Lakers

greatest2
03-04-2009, 07:31 PM
lakers are the only contender

thats sad

JJ_JKidd
03-04-2009, 11:24 PM

1. * LA Lakers --
2. * San Antonio 7.5
3. * Denver 8.5
4. Houston 10.0
5. New Orleans 11.0
6. Portland 11.0
7. Utah 11.5
8. Dallas 12.0
9. Phoenix 13.5

Except for the Mavs. Theyre a bunch of jokes!