PDA

View Full Version : Where will Allen Iverson go?

VCaintdead17
03-01-2009, 09:53 PM
Now, I don't like to make assumptions, but I think that it is pretty obvious AI wont be around much longer on the Pistons. I don't expect them to resign him. Mainly because he just has not found his niche in the Pistons offense and because of that, they have had one of their worst seasons in a long time. So my question to you is, where do you think Allen Iverson will land this offseason?

greatest2
03-01-2009, 10:02 PM
76ers lol

VCaintdead17
03-01-2009, 10:03 PM
76ers lol

With what moeny?

brandonwarne52
03-01-2009, 10:03 PM
I don't understand the question, and I won't answer it.

-Lucille Bluth.

pd7631
03-01-2009, 10:06 PM
Philly

If we re-sign Andre Miller and then sign AI to the MLE we would be money.....just plug AI in as the starting 2 guard in place of Willie Green

PG-Andre Miller
SG-Allen Iverson
SF-Andre Iguodala
PF-Elton Brand
C-Samuel Dalembert
-------------------
BN-Thaddeus Young
BN-Lou Williams
BN-Marreese Speights
BN-Willie Green
BN-Reggie Evans
BN-Royal Ivey
BN-Jason Smith

Boom....our starting SG becomes our 9th guy, that just shows how much we are lacking at the 2 guard position

plus whoever we draft would also add another dimension to our team....if we were able to land Stephen Curry in the draft, then we get our 3 point threat

AI gets his ring as a SIXER and eventually retires as a SIXER.......and all is right in the universe

greatest2
03-01-2009, 10:07 PM
With what moeny?

lol i was just kidding cuz it was his old team that he prolly should have just stayed with. I really dont kno. I dont think anyone could answer that but him. He has tried 2 different teams, one of them my nuggets, and just didnt fit. I think the poor guy is frustrated by now and should prolly just pull a veteran move by tryin to sign with a contender for next to nuthn. In this off season, i dont kno anyone whos gonna wanna sign him for the amount he could be worth.

VCaintdead17
03-01-2009, 10:07 PM
Philly

If we re-sign Andre Miller and then sign AI to the MLE we would be money.....just plug AI in as the starting 2 guard in place of Willie Green

PG-Andre Miller
SG-Allen Iverson
SF-Andre Iguodala
PF-Elton Brand
C-Samuel Dalembert
-------------------
BN-Thaddeus Young
BN-Lou Williams
BN-Marreese Speights
BN-Willie Green
BN-Reggie Evans
BN-Royal Ivey
BN-Jason Smith

Boom....our starting SG becomes our 9th guy, that just shows how much we are lacking at the 2 guard position

plus whoever we draft would also add another dimension to our team....if we were able to land Stephen Curry in the draft, then we get our 3 point threat

AI gets his ring as a SIXER and eventually retires as a SIXER.......and all is right in the universe

Thats a nice thought but I don't see AI signing for the MLE. Plus, I think that would stunt Youngs growth because he wouldnt get enough playing time

bahama0811
03-01-2009, 10:08 PM
I think he should go back to Philly.

greatest2
03-01-2009, 10:09 PM
Philly

PG-Andre Miller
SG-Allen Iverson
SF-Andre Iguodala
PF-Elton Brand
C-Samuel Dalembert
-------------------
BN-Thaddeus Young
BN-Lou Williams
BN-Marreese Speights
BN-Willie Green
BN-Reggie Evans
BN-Royal Ivey
BN-Jason Smith

lol

pd7631
03-01-2009, 10:09 PM
With what moeny?

the Sixers have the Mid Level Exception....they could use that to sign AI

He could definitely get more money from another team, but it would have to be a middle of the pack to bad team. At this point in his career AI doesn't want to play for Memphis or any other team like that. He's set for life financially, so why not take the MLE and go back to where it all started, where the people love him, and where he would definitely help the team out

VCaintdead17
03-01-2009, 10:10 PM
I think he would be a nice fit in Dallas next to Dirk. But thats just me

The Panch
03-01-2009, 10:11 PM
To the Spurs for less money and a ring.

ink
03-01-2009, 10:16 PM
^ What, and disrupt another successful system?

VCaintdead17
03-01-2009, 10:18 PM
^ What, and disrupt another successful system?

He is one of those complicated players. I think he needs to be place at the 2 in a backcourt with a playmaker and an elite big man down low. But again, thats just my opinion. Also, he wants a ring real bad, so I'm betting he would be willing to change his game to win.

superkegger
03-01-2009, 10:19 PM
At this point, I don't think there is any way to know.

Where he ends up though is going to be determined by what amount of money he'll play for, and what kind of team he wants to play for. Is he soley looking for a championship? So will he sign for less to play with a much better team, or will he take a bigger payday to play with a team of lesser quality, believing he is their missing piece to become a legit contender.

Plus you have to look at the other side of the coin, in what teams will offer him. At this point, is he the kind of player you want to add? Is what he brings to the table what your team needs? And when you think about that, and what's happened with him in Detroit this year, I think the market demand for Iverson will be considerably lower than he would like. And perhaps that will end up making him a bargain for some team like in the middle of the pack in the West or East and make them contenders.

Right now though, I think its impossible to have any real indication of where he will end up.

marlinsfan24
03-01-2009, 10:20 PM
I think the Thunder, maybe?

Imagine

Westbrook
Iverson
Durant
Green
Griffin (granted they get #1 pick)

pd7631
03-01-2009, 10:21 PM
Thats a nice thought but I don't see AI signing for the MLE. Plus, I think that would stunt Youngs growth because he wouldnt get enough playing time

I doubt it would stunt Thad's growth, because Willie moves way down on the bench and Thad could be used a lot of different ways. He could go in for AI and Iggy could move to the 2 guard. He can come in for Elton and play the 4. He could come in for Sammy D and Elton could move to center and they could play small ball. He would still see significant playing time(25-30 minutes).

VCaintdead17
03-01-2009, 10:22 PM
At this point, I don't think there is any way to know.

Where he ends up though is going to be determined by what amount of money he'll play for, and what kind of team he wants to play for. Is he soley looking for a championship? So will he sign for less to play with a much better team, or will he take a bigger payday to play with a team of lesser quality, believing he is their missing piece to become a legit contender.

Plus you have to look at the other side of the coin, in what teams will offer him. At this point, is he the kind of player you want to add? Is what he brings to the table what your team needs? And when you think about that, and what's happened with him in Detroit this year, I think the market demand for Iverson will be considerably lower than he would like. And perhaps that will end up making him a bargain for some team like in the middle of the pack in the West or East and make them contenders.

Right now though, I think its impossible to have any real indication of where he will end up.

Good analysis, but as the past indicates, he works solely for a championship. If he is willing to take the MLE, I think he can make a team go over the top, such as the Mavs.

Kidd
AI
Howard
Dirk
Dampier

But as you said, it's impossible to tell

pd7631
03-01-2009, 10:23 PM
He is one of those complicated players. I think he needs to be place at the 2 in a backcourt with a playmaker and an elite big man down low. But again, thats just my opinion. Also, he wants a ring real bad, so I'm betting he would be willing to change his game to win.

Like Andre Miller and Elton Brand?

VCaintdead17
03-01-2009, 10:23 PM
Like Andre Miller and Elton Brand?

I said elite ;)

pd7631
03-01-2009, 10:24 PM

Imagine

Westbrook
Iverson
Durant
Green

That would be really scary if 3 years from now if AI didn't get any older lol

pd7631
03-01-2009, 10:25 PM
I said elite ;)

touche

superkegger
Good analysis, but as the past indicates, he works solely for a championship. If he is willing to take the MLE, I think he can make a team go over the top, such as the Mavs.

Kidd
AI
Howard
Dirk
Dampier

But as you said, it's impossible to tell

I know he wants a ring, and I'm not doubting that side of him. What I am doubting is that he is willing to take the MLE. I think he is going to want 10+ million over a couple years. As much as his past indicates he wants a ring, it also indicates he wants to get paid.

blacknell
dallas

VCaintdead17
03-01-2009, 10:26 PM
I know he wants a ring, and I'm not doubting that side of him. What I am doubting is that he is willing to take the MLE. I think he is going to want 10+ million over a couple years. As much as his past indicates he wants a ring, it also indicates he wants to get paid.

I was thinking the same thing. He's so complicated that he'll have to settle for less if he really does want a ring. I think this offseason will really show how much drive and motivation he has left in him

wwwhat
I don't think there's a team with enough money who will want to sign him. Hopefully he takes a MLE for a contender and pushes them over the top. Also, imagine i he signed a 1 year deal for decent money with the Knicks? It'd be really exciting with him and D'Antoni IMO.

DreamShaker
He's gonna go to the Bobcats to be reunited with Larry Brown....they need somebody to fill seats.

RocketsRule
03-01-2009, 10:28 PM
He's gonna go to the Bobcats to be reunited with Larry Brown....they need somebody to fill seats.

PG - Raymond Felton
SG - Allen Iverson
SF - Gerald Wallace
PF - Boris Diaw
C - Emeka Okafor

... Not a championship team, so I doubt he goes there. Especially for less money.

superkegger
03-01-2009, 10:30 PM

honestly, of all the teams that I thought would be interested in AI, and would be interested in him, Dallas and Charlotte are the two that stand out the most. But even then, who knows.

I think what may end up happening, is we might see a sign and trade. Detroit may not get anything much back other than a trade exception and a second rouner(ala rashard lewis to Orlando). But who knows, I think that is a very viable option though

dre1990
03-01-2009, 10:32 PM
the Cavs?

VCaintdead17
03-01-2009, 10:34 PM
the Cavs?

I think he would destroy the chemistry there. But not a bad suggestion.

greatest2
03-01-2009, 10:34 PM

Imagine

Westbrook
Iverson
Durant
Green

I agree with wat the other guy said. This team would be scary , but i would say in two years. If AI was just a couple years younger, that would prolly be a great idea.

dallas

just to respond to your sig, that guy was a freakin idiot, to say he was in jail while he was on the internet lol, he prolly was fake. Even tho im not exactly what you would call a thug, i have my ties, and we like to talk about sports too you know. we do get bored.

bigvdebo86
03-01-2009, 10:37 PM
Ai in orlando will be nice but i think he will go back to philly

scottie
03-01-2009, 10:38 PM
He needs to go to the wizards, at least there he can dominate the ball....Is Areanas ever comming back..

TheShock45
03-01-2009, 10:39 PM
With what moeny?

i think iverson will realize he near the end of his career and kind of unwanted and will accept maybe 12 mill a year which we will have next year he we dont resign andre miller

Just picture it next year

AI, Iggy, Thad, Elton, Sammy

Willie Green, Reggie Evans, Jason Smith, Speights, lou williams, our 1st round pick, 2nd round pick (we will need to sign him because we might not be able to afford other players) and then 2 minimum contract players

i like it who knows if its a championship caliber team but it might get people saying omg look the sixers actually have a team

and maybe fans might return to the stadium

RocketsRule
03-01-2009, 10:40 PM
Personally I think he would be a good fit in Dallas. Jason Kidd is a good complement to him, he plays defense, is big for the PG position, and plays defense. Remind me of Eric Snow when he and Iverson played on the 76ers a while back. Add in Dirk, Jason Terry, and Josh Howard and you could have a potential championship team.

PG - Jason Kidd
SG - Allen Iverson
SF - Josh Howard
PF - Dirk Nowitzki
C - Eric Dampier
6th man - Jason Terry

VCaintdead17
03-01-2009, 10:42 PM
i think iverson will realize he near the end of his career and kind of unwanted and will accept maybe 12 mill a year which we will have next year he we dont resign andre miller

Just picture it next year

AI, Iggy, Thad, Elton, Sammy

Willie Green, Reggie Evans, Jason Smith, Speights, lou williams, our 1st round pick, 2nd round pick (we will need to sign him because we might not be able to afford other players) and then 2 minimum contract players

i like it who knows if its a championship caliber team but it might get people saying omg look the sixers actually have a team

and maybe fans might return to the stadium

If you guys don't resign miller you'll still only have about two mill. The only way I could see AI going back to philly is if he signs for the MLE or the Pistons do a sign and trade for something along the lines of, Iggy FOR AI. Other than that yeah, I can't see him going back to Philly

VCaintdead17
03-01-2009, 10:43 PM
Personally I think he would be a good fit in Dallas. Jason Kidd is a good complement to him, he plays defense, is big for the PG position, and plays defense. Remind me of Eric Snow when he and Iverson played on the 76ers a while back. Add in Dirk, Jason Terry, and Josh Howard and you could have a potential championship team.

PG - Jason Kidd
SG - Allen Iverson
SF - Josh Howard
PF - Dirk Nowitzki
C - Eric Dampier
6th man - Jason Terry

If they got rid of Dampier, Matt Carroll and Terry for expirings then they could sign him for up to like 15 mill. And still have some moeny left over.

greatest2
03-01-2009, 10:45 PM
only an idiot would trade Iggy for AI, hes not that worth that much at this point in his career

VCaintdead17
03-01-2009, 10:46 PM
only an idiot would trade Iggy for AI, hes not that worth that much at this point in his career

Exactly, it near impossible for AI to go back to philly.

greatest2
03-01-2009, 10:47 PM
If they got rid of Dampier, Matt Carroll and Terry for expirings then they could sign him for up to like 15 mill. And still have some moeny left over.

i dont think its gonna be that easy next year to get rid of players for expirings unless you have true talent. I believ AI will be forced to take an MLE contract or he will find himself playing for a very crappy team

greatest2
03-01-2009, 10:48 PM
Exactly, it near impossible for AI to go back to philly.

yea i dont think Philly is a real option. but you never know. if he accepts the MLE, anywhere is possible

Philly4life84
03-01-2009, 10:50 PM
I think he should go back to Philly.
says the guy whose team just took away dawkins:mad:

TheShock45
03-01-2009, 10:51 PM
If you guys don't resign miller you'll still only have about two mill. The only way I could see AI going back to philly is if he signs for the MLE or the Pistons do a sign and trade for something along the lines of, Iggy FOR AI. Other than that yeah, I can't see him going back to Philly

ummm excuse be where the hell did you get that estimate at

it might come as a shocker but andre miller makes 10 million dollars ad we have 4 other contracts coming off the books at about 1 million a piece
and the sixers are allready about 3-4 million dollars under the cap
10 + 1 + 1 + 1 + 1 + 4 = 18???

sooo i dont know how we couldnt get AI
18 million to spend next year i think could get us AI, our 1st and 2nd rounder and 2 people who sign for the minimum

josephb
03-01-2009, 10:53 PM
Anyway he goes to the Magic?

greatest2
03-01-2009, 10:54 PM

it might come as a shocker but andre miller makes 10 million dollars ad we have 4 other contracts coming off the books at about 1 million a piece

18 million to spend next year i think could get us AI, our 1st and 2nd rounder and 2 people who sign for the minimum

yea but where are you at with the salary cap?? the only way you will get 18 mil to spend is if you are 18 mil below the cap.

VCaintdead17
03-01-2009, 10:55 PM

Oh, you didnt mention anybody else coming off the books, so I just took Millers 10 mill contract away.

EDIT: I did the math and if you don't resign EVERY player, you still have only 5,018,512 worth of cap room.

TheShock45
03-01-2009, 10:56 PM
yea but where are you at with the salary cap?? the only way you will get 18 mil to spend is if you are 18 mil below the cap.

sixers are allready a few mill below the cap

TheShock45
03-01-2009, 10:58 PM
Oh, you didnt mention anybody else coming off the books, so I just took Millers 10 mill contract away.

EDIT: I did the math and if you don't resign EVERY player, you still have only 5,018,512 worth of cap room.

sorry but i just figure you were downplaying andre miller he makes alot
the sixers are in a decent situation to improve and maybe put together a good team while everyone is being cautious and waiting for 2010

SeoulBeatz
03-01-2009, 10:58 PM
i think all of us in Philly know he needs to come back where he belongs. Starting or on the bench, hes always welcome back in the city of brotherly love.

greatest2
03-01-2009, 10:59 PM
next year the 76ers ar at 57 mil. i'm pretty sure you have to be under the salary cap in order to sign someone for more than just the MLE

TheShock45
03-01-2009, 11:00 PM

how did you get that the cap limit is 71 before you have to start paying luxury taxes (which ed sneider will not do for a basketball team, its weird how the owner of the damn team looks down upon it)
and the sixers this year salary is 67 million and next year without those 5 contracts and the raises each player will get will be about 57 million

greatest2
03-01-2009, 11:02 PM
how did you get that the cap limit is 71 before you have to start paying luxury taxes (which ed sneider will not do for a basketball team, its weird how the owner of the damn team looks down upon it)
and the sixers this year salary is 67 million and next year without those 5 contracts and the raises each player will get will be about 57 million

the salary cap is 58.6 mil

TheShock45
03-01-2009, 11:06 PM
the salary cap is 55.6 mil

i thought you could spend up to the limit before you have to start playing the luxury tax

pd7631
03-01-2009, 11:08 PM

That's the hard cap...which is different from the regular salary cap. The hard cap is in place so a team can re-sign their own players for more than the regular salary cap....which is why the Sixers signed Elton Brand before re-signing Lou Williams and Iggy this past offseason. If the Sixers go over the HARD CAP then they pay the luxury tax. But the Sixers are definitely over the cap and will only be able to sign AI to the MLE next year.

TheShock45
03-01-2009, 11:12 PM
That's the hard cap...which is different from the regular salary cap. The hard cap is in place so a team can re-sign their own players for more than the regular salary cap....which is why the Sixers signed Elton Brand before re-signing Lou Williams and Iggy this past offseason. If the Sixers go over the HARD CAP then they pay the luxury tax. But the Sixers are definitely over the cap and will only be able to sign AI to the MLE next year.

ooo ok thanks wow i never knew that and im into this stuff

ok sorry about my arguments i didnt know there was a reg cap and a hard cap
thanks for clearing that up

ok my new plan sign and trade willie green and a future 1st for Iverson

pd7631
03-01-2009, 11:12 PM
i think all of us in Philly know he needs to come back where he belongs. Starting or on the bench, hes always welcome back in the city of brotherly love.

amen :clap:

greatest2
03-01-2009, 11:15 PM
i thought you could spend up to the limit before you have to start playing the luxury tax

No. The salary cap is 58.6 mil, meaning that how ever much you are below, you can use to sign. You can only go over if you are signing one of your free agents with bird rights. The luxury tax is just there so that richer teams who can afford to go over dont, or else they will have to pay a certain percent extra, which really isnt worth it unless you have a championship contending team. Dont worry, i used to get it confused to.

greatest2
03-01-2009, 11:15 PM
im behind lol

VCaintdead17
03-01-2009, 11:30 PM
3 other places I could see him going too is New Orleans, Chicago or Utah(Even though it's never been Utah's style to sign big name free agents.)

If he will take the MLE.

lorneg34
03-01-2009, 11:36 PM
i dont know why no one has mentioned this team but the toronto raptors....he would be a perfect fit.....they have a lot of cap room almost 22 million dollars going to this off season.
he fits in perfect with the "new" run and gun toronto style and would fit very well beside calderon and driving to the hoop to pass off to bosh/bargnani

colangelo is looking for steve nash but i think you can get a younger player in iverson and a little bit quicker and better on defense

all of a sudden there is another player added with the newly aquired marion to show bosh that they want to compete
it looks like it can be the perfect fit in every aspect
at the same time the raptors would be able to afford even picking up a 2nd player for the 3 spot

calderon
iverson
marion
bosh
bargnani

parker
jawai
graham
ukic
hump
kapono
(draft pick)

greatest2
03-01-2009, 11:38 PM
3 other places I could see him going too is New Orleans, Chicago or Utah(Even though it's never been Utah's style to sign big name free agents.)

If he will take the MLE.

I dont they would sign him in chicago because over this trade deadline, it has become clear that they are tryin to clear as much space as possible for a big name agent in 2010, mostly Bosh.

VCaintdead17
03-01-2009, 11:39 PM
i dont know why no one has mentioned this team but the toronto raptors....he would be a perfect fit.....they have a lot of cap room almost 22 million dollars going to this off season.
he fits in perfect with the "new" run and gun toronto style and would fit very well beside calderon and driving to the hoop to pass off to bosh/bargnani

colangelo is looking for steve nash but i think you can get a younger player in iverson and a little bit quicker and better on defense

all of a sudden there is another player added with the newly aquired marion to show bosh that they want to compete
it looks like it can be the perfect fit in every aspect
at the same time the raptors would be able to afford even picking up a 2nd player for the 3 spot

calderon
iverson
marion
bosh
bargnani

parker
jawai
graham
ukic
hump
kapono
(draft pick)

Actually, I've already mentioned it in the Raptors forum and they shot it down. He doesn't fit there offense I guess and they are looking for younger people. But yeah, I agree Toronto would be interesting.

superkegger
03-01-2009, 11:39 PM

it looks like the confusion has been cleared up about the salary cap, but I'll just say this.

The salary cap for this season is $58.68 million, and over the past few years has risen about 2-4 million per year. This numver (58.68 million) represents the number teams can use to sign players. So if a team is at 57.68 million in total salaries, they have 1 million in contract money they can offer.

Now, its not just that simple. Obviously, since some teams are over that number, it is not a hard cap. With exceptions like the MLE, and bird rights among other things, teams are allowed to go over the salary cap. But, once a team hits 71.150 million in salaries (for the 08-09 season) they come into the luxury tax range, and when this happens they pay to the leauge, dollar for dollar the amount they are over the luxury tax threshold. Which basically means if you're at say, 68 million in total salaries, but you use bird rights, or some other provision to bring your total salaries to 72.150, you're actually going to end up paying 73.150 million for your team because you crossed the luxury tax threshold.

Now regarding the sixers, they are at around 68 million in total salaries this season, and for next season they already have around 58 million committed. Meaning they will likely not have any real cap flexibility, and will only have their MLE and lower level exceptions to offer. Meaning the only way AI comes to Philly is if he will play for the MLE, or the pistons and sixers work out a sign and trade for ai.

In any case, i see an AI return to philly unlikely. I see it more likely they'll stick with Andre Miller and see what other minor tweaks they can make and try and figure out how to incorporate Brand into that team again next year.

If you have questions about the salary cap in general this site (http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm) is very useful for answering those questions.

If you have questions about a specific teams salary situation, this site (http://www.storytellerscontracts.info/resources/08-09salaries.htm) is very reliable and accurate for telling you who is paid what, and what teams have cap space available, or will in the future.

ChickenWings230
03-01-2009, 11:56 PM
Nuggets.

Billups
Iverson
Anthony
Martin
Nene

haha JK

THE MTL
03-02-2009, 03:33 AM
I say he should go to Orlando or Houston. Houston needs a PG/SG that can actually play through injuries instead of punka** McGrady. Orlando can use a second PG or a starting SG.

rocky4104
03-02-2009, 03:40 AM
look for a contender and sign for less money, he has enough already

he's a winner and i doubt he'll be content to retire without a ring esp coming close one time

TMAC94
03-02-2009, 04:29 AM
if houston dont sign ron artest back which i honestly dont know if they will but i wouldnt mind keeping him for the price we have right now but nothing over 10 million, A.I would be welcome in houston as our starting pg, but i like brooks now. With tmacs injury and his going to have surgery id like him to have a year off and get his knee right, come back next season after all star break, and take starting sg and move a.i to point. but a.i would have to take MLE

without tmac

C: Yao
PF: Scola
SF: Artest
SG: Iverson
PG: Brooks

6th man: Wafer ( resign him )
7th man : Battier
8th man : Landry
9th man : Lowry

with tmac

C: Yao
PF: Scola
SF: Artest
SG : Tmac
PG: Iverson

6th man : Brooks
7th man : wafer
8th man : Battier
9th man : Landry

now that team could be REALLY REALLY REALLLY GOOD or be REALLY REALLY REALLY BAD

mrblisterdundee
03-02-2009, 01:23 PM
Philadelphia would be a nice fit. He needs to play off the ball, and be allowed to score lots of points. Maybe New Orleans could cut some salary and take him on. Chris Paul would allow Iverson to play off the ball.