PDA

View Full Version : signed Adam EATON

tymonic1
03-01-2009, 07:30 PM
fo says no interest in him being a tide this year...either makes the rotation or walks...he gets 400,000ish from us,phillies pay the rest of his 8 mil.Eaton had 10 quality starts last year

mark1125
03-01-2009, 08:59 PM
Eaton is terrible, but at least someone else is paying the majority of his check. When he sucks, dump him with a clean consience knowing the Phills are paying him.

bigity b
03-01-2009, 09:17 PM
low risk, high reward. With all this competition someone is going to have to win the 4th and 5th spots. If he works out, great. If not, oh well.

Driven
03-01-2009, 09:33 PM
Eaton sucks. It's okay to give him a shot, but he sucks.

x the game x
03-01-2009, 09:40 PM
i think its a good move,he cant be worse then hendrickson and all we need is inning eaters

Eicholtz
03-01-2009, 10:01 PM
Damn can you imagine signing him for 8 million a year? I don't like the Orioles bringing him to wash towels let alone pitch. But how do you think the Phillies feel for having to pay this guy anything let alone that much?

As far as the Orioles I am tired of the term inning eater. If you are effective and the manager leaves you become an inning eater. Or if you are left in to take one for the team everytime you pitch and spare the pen you are an inning eater by default. The manager dictates who is an inning eater. But if you suck like this guy Eaton you are a jabroni not an inning eater.

Hopefully him, Hennessey and by way of two miracles Baez and Hendrickson all will not make the team. I know they (Baez and Hendrickson) probably will but that is my impossible dream for Spring Training.

But back to Eaton his numbers horribly are laughable. He has never had an era under four in his career.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/e/eatonad01.shtml

mark1125
03-01-2009, 11:33 PM
low risk, high reward. With all this competition someone is going to have to win the 4th and 5th spots. If he works out, great. If not, oh well.

Really? How do you figure? This "low risk/high reward" term gets thrown around way too much and this guy is about as far as a high reward player as there is. I agree with the low risk part, but if you are thinking there is much of an upside, you will be sorely disappointed.

Bronxbombers182
03-01-2009, 11:41 PM
If he was any good, the Phillies would have kept him.

bmurphy28
03-02-2009, 12:04 AM
maybe a change of scenery will do him good

i hope hills injury isnt serious

bigity b
03-02-2009, 09:48 AM
Really? How do you figure? This "low risk/high reward" term gets thrown around way too much and this guy is about as far as a high reward player as there is. I agree with the low risk part, but if you are thinking there is much of an upside, you will be sorely disappointed.

I have been throwing that theme around all off-season because that is the approach McPhee has taken the entire offseason, especially with filling spots in the staff.

low risk - we're paying him minimum and its not guaranteed. We can cut him at the end of ST and its as if he was never here.

high reward - if he makes the club in the rotation it is because he beat out someone to earn that spot. We have no loyalties to him and would prefer to cut him. The chips are stacked against him. If he makes the club it's going to be because he put on a display and somewhat wowed someone. 'Potential,' 'talent,' etc arent factors because we have plenty of others in that category. He has to go out and pitch. If he is in the rotation its because he's pitching better than all else we have. That is a reward.

bal_ravens
03-02-2009, 07:09 PM

Have you....seen the Orioles pitching staff? If he could fill in once in awhile, have a 6-4 record with a 5.00 ERA, that is a success for us.

x the game x
03-02-2009, 07:34 PM
^if he goes .500 thats good for me

Driven
03-02-2009, 09:20 PM
^if he goes .500 thats good for me
But that does nothing for our future.

SnakeEyes1967
03-02-2009, 10:17 PM
Maybe the O's will get lucky with Eaton. Steve Stone came to Baltimore with a below .500 record and went 25-7 with a 3.23 era in 1980 and won the Cy Young. Not saying Eaton will win a Cy Young but maybe he makes the team and gets us 10 wins

wizind33
03-02-2009, 11:36 PM
with hennessey,Hill,parrish sittin on the side w/arm problems ( go figure) Eaton if
he can show something in spring training might be 5th guy...better than hendrickson
I'd like to see Hadyen Penn get starting spot....and what the heck give him a handful
of starts..If all fails we call-up 1 of the future arms in our system...and eaton gets
his release..I figure he's like a younger version of Trax..(ick) so he'll be with us till
Memorial day then

x the game x
03-03-2009, 04:08 AM

ur wrong it allows some of the young arms to pitch in the minors without being called up early,plus it helps keep our bullpen fresh which was a problem last yr

bmurphy28
03-03-2009, 10:43 AM
it never hurts to have some veteran arms

bigity b
03-03-2009, 11:47 AM

It does plenty for the future if it keeps all our young guns down in the minor leagues. I would rather they have an extra season of seasoning (like Weiters) than rush them up here, have them flop and then their stuck in limbo for years (see: Cabrera, Penn, etc). Plus if the a young prospect beats out Eaton for the rotation, it means he earned it and is ready now - which helps the future much sooner. ... Plus it helps with all the minor injuries the O's are having this ST.

Either way though, we're talking about a guy who the O's signed as as a stop-gap 4th or 5th starter. He wasnt brought in to "put us over the top" or even make the playoffs. We need him as a filler, he needs us to prove himself with new surroundings.

x the game x
03-03-2009, 06:14 PM
^well said

Phillyfan26
03-08-2009, 05:04 AM
Believe me you will regret this singing. Adam Eaton is the worse.

Liney3506
03-08-2009, 02:45 PM
Well... good luck with this.

thefeckcampaign
05-22-2009, 05:07 PM
Well... good luck with this.Well I guess your vote of confidence didn't help. :rolleyes: ;)

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4200061