PDA

View Full Version : Boston, Cleveland and the Lakers - Who will have the best shot to make the finals?

JordansBulls
02-28-2009, 02:07 AM
Boston, Cleveland and the Lakers - Who will have the best shot to make the finals?

GoatMilk
02-28-2009, 02:10 AM
Lakers pretty much by default.
Celtics and Cavs are gonna have to play each other, and Orlando is kinda in the mix. not really, but kinda

gqjatt209
02-28-2009, 02:19 AM
Lakers will not make the finals this year. We don't want to see EAST win another championship if Lakers go to the finals.

superkegger
02-28-2009, 02:20 AM
While the west is no cakewalk, the best 3 teams in the NBA are the Celtics, Lakers and Cavs, and one would think the Cavs and Celtics will play eachother in the ECF, and its going to be a helluva hard series to win.

And whoever ends up the 2 seed in the east would also likely have to play Orlando, and that as well could be a very tough series.

On the Lakers side of things, it once again looks like that if the Spurs are healthy, they'll be a force to be reckoned with and if they meet in the WCF, that won't be an easy series either. And the competition throughout the western playoffs for the lakers will be tougher for the Lakers.

But still, i'd have to say the Lakers have the best shot at making the finals.

still1ballin
02-28-2009, 02:27 AM
Lakers. It is going to be a dog fight out in the East. What happened last year in the West where the Lakers had to go through many great teams and the C's didn't is kinda like what will happen here. The C's are going to have to go through many great teams. It will be tough out in the East.

still1ballin
02-28-2009, 02:31 AM
While the west is no cakewalk, the best 3 teams in the NBA are the Celtics, Lakers and Cavs, and one would think the Cavs and Celtics will play eachother in the ECF, and its going to be a helluva hard series to win.

And whoever ends up the 2 seed in the east would also likely have to play Orlando, and that as well could be a very tough series.

On the Lakers side of things, it once again looks like that if the Spurs are healthy, they'll be a force to be reckoned with and if they meet in the WCF, that won't be an easy series either. And the competition throughout the western playoffs for the lakers will be tougher for the Lakers.

How so?

We are pulling away from everybody in the West right now. Who do you see as a threat? Yeah I am not gonna take no team lightly, but at most I only see the Spurs a threat at most! But not even them IMO could keep up with us in a 7 game series. Lakers have no competition in the West.

albertc86
02-28-2009, 02:32 AM
The Lakers. Boston and Cleveland would have to get passed each other.

superkegger
02-28-2009, 02:48 AM
How so?

We are pulling away from everybody in the West right now. Who do you see as a threat? Yeah I am not gonna take no team lightly, but at most I only see the Spurs a threat at most! But not even them IMO could keep up with us in a 7 game series. Lakers have no competition in the West.

Well, the nuggets are no gimmie (though we'd likely only face them in the WCF, which means we wouldn't face the spur but Utah, New Orleans, Dallas and Portland are good teams. Do I really think they could beat the Lakers in a 7 game series? no. But compare a likely road for the cavs and lakers (if the season ended today that is) (and for ease of doing this, lets just assume the top seeds win all matchups)

First round

Lakers vs. Mavs

Cavs vs. Bucks

I don't know about you, but I'd sure as hell rather play the Bucks than the Mavs....

Second round

Lakers vs. Rockets

Cavs. vs Atlanta

I don't know about you, but again, I'd much rather play the Hawks than the Rockets. Though the hawks have improved, their hot start to the season has them where they are. Over the last 2 months they're 12-15. So yeah, I'd much rather play the Hawks than the Rockets.

And for arguments sake, lets say the Hawks lose to the Heat. Would you really still rather play the Heat than the Blazers?

Conference Finals

Lakers vs. Spurs

Cavs. vs. Boston

This is the first series where the cavs actually have harder competition than the Lakers.

While the it is my opinion that whoever the Lakers play in the West, they are more talented and a better team, they quality of opponent that they would play through their trip through the west is much higher than the quality of opponent than the Cavs would face in their trip through the East.

thesparky33
02-28-2009, 03:01 AM

Well said, sir. That was pretty much exactly what I was going to say... :)

still1ballin
02-28-2009, 03:01 AM
Well, the nuggets are no gimmie (though we'd likely only face them in the WCF, which means we wouldn't face the spur but Utah, New Orleans, Dallas and Portland are good teams. Do I really think they could beat the Lakers in a 7 game series? no. But compare a likely road for the cavs and lakers (if the season ended today that is) (and for ease of doing this, lets just assume the top seeds win all matchups)

First round

Lakers vs. Mavs

Cavs vs. Bucks

I don't know about you, but I'd sure as hell rather play the Bucks than the Mavs....

Second round

Lakers vs. Rockets

Cavs. vs Atlanta

I don't know about you, but again, I'd much rather play the Hawks than the Rockets. Though the hawks have improved, their hot start to the season has them where they are. Over the last 2 months they're 12-15. So yeah, I'd much rather play the Hawks than the Rockets.

And for arguments sake, lets say the Hawks lose to the Heat. Would you really still rather play the Heat than the Blazers?

Conference Finals

Lakers vs. Spurs

Cavs. vs. Boston

This is the first series where the cavs actually have harder competition than the Lakers.

While the it is my opinion that whoever the Lakers play in the West, they are more talented and a better team, they quality of opponent that they would play through their trip through the west is much higher than the quality of opponent than the Cavs would face in their trip through the East.

Good points, I see where you are coming from. Of course I rather play the Bucks rather than Dallas, from the Lakers stand point, Dallas wouldn't have a chance a long with of the rest of the western conference.

Lakersfan2483
02-28-2009, 03:40 AM
Boston, Cleveland and the Lakers - Who will have the best shot to make the finals?

I think Boston is the favorite out east and LA is the favorite out west. Both San Antonio and Cleveland are right under those two teams and will try to play spoiler.

snickers
02-28-2009, 04:17 AM

First round

Lakers vs. Mavs

Cavs vs. Bucks

Second round

Lakers vs. Rockets

Cavs. vs Atlanta

Conference Finals

Lakers vs. Spurs

Cavs. vs. Boston

don't forget about the jazz to they can be pretty tough to in the playoffs.

Trouble87
02-28-2009, 04:19 AM
Lakers are so deep and are playing great ball... they have the best shot to make it to the finals. If any team beats them in a playoff series I'd be surprised

Kenny
02-28-2009, 04:26 AM
I think Boston is the favorite out east and LA is the favorite out west. Both San Antonio and Cleveland are right under those two teams and will try to play spoiler.

the cavs arent looking to "spoil" anything.. There as good if not better then the Celtics from what I've seen this year.. There defense is #1, they have the more depth then maybe any team in the league....

luckynumber_752
02-28-2009, 05:37 AM
The Lakers got the best shot just cause they don't have to play the Cavs or Celtics until the Finals. The Lakers will get to the Finals, barring a post season colapse. Not to say that they have no competion, but the West lacks a true #2. The Lakers biggest competition is probably the Spurs, who could pull a little bit of an upset, but it's obviously in the Lakers favor to win. Now the Cavs and Celtics r gonna b such a tough matchup for eachother, that both of them have around a 50% chance of losing. I actualy think its gonna b a Lakers/Cavs Finals if I had to guess now, but only time will tell.

luckynumber_752
02-28-2009, 05:54 AM
the cavs arent looking to "spoil" anything.. There as good if not better then the Celtics from what I've seen this year.. There defense is #1, they have the more depth then maybe any team in the league....

Wow. Did u seriously just say that the Cavs may have the most depth in the league? I agree that it wouldn't realy b a "spoil" if the Cavs beat the Celtics, but the Cavs are definetly not the deepest team in the league. The Lakers are so much deeper than the Cavs that it's not even close to close. And i'm not just saying that, cause I hate the Lakers more than u can imagine. There's alot of teams in the league that r deeper than the Cavs. The Blazers r deeper than the Cavs. I wouldn't even put the Cavs in the top 5 in the league in depth. They don't have bad depth though. They've certainly improved in that aspect of their team, but they're nowhere near the deepest team in the league.

CHief_0_o_Wahoo
02-28-2009, 06:09 AM
Well, I picked Cleveland.

junion
02-28-2009, 06:32 AM
it's gotta be the lakers, right now the lakers have a 80% chance of being in the finals - the west competition isn't up to par

while in the east it's about 45%/45% between boston and cavs, and a 10% underdog chance that someone else will.

that's just my opinion.

bostncelts34
02-28-2009, 08:07 AM
I picked the LAKERS. YES. THE LAKERS.

SImpley because of what all you guys said. Celtics and Cavs are both in the east. Whoever finished with the #2 seed most likely will have to play Orlando in the semi's, cleveland/boston in the Conf. finals. And actually as it stands right now..

2 plays 7. 7 is detroit lol. I know their not there former selves..but say clevelans finishes 2nd seed. They have to most likely play Detroit, Orlando,Boston. I think the west might win it all this year IMO, and im a die hard celtics fan.

EDIT: the more i think about it.just to put it out there..Last year.the celtics beat ATL(very underated).Cleveland(not as good as last year but still good), Detroit(amazing team last year), then the lakers. So i guess it is possible.

bostncelts34
02-28-2009, 08:10 AM
Also, if Marbury works out..which I really think its going too. I dont see Boston losing in the conf. finals. I mean, Stephon is gonna be playing backuo PG's for the most part, he should have a field day out there.

CHief_0_o_Wahoo
02-28-2009, 08:28 AM
I picked the LAKERS. YES. THE LAKERS.

SImpley because of what all you guys said. Celtics and Cavs are both in the east. Whoever finished with the #2 seed most likely will have to play Orlando in the semi's, cleveland/boston in the Conf. finals. And actually as it stands right now..

2 plays 7. 7 is detroit lol. I know their not there former selves..but say clevelans finishes 2nd seed. They have to most likely play Detroit, Orlando,Boston. I think the west might win it all this year IMO, and im a die hard celtics fan.

EDIT: the more i think about it.just to put it out there..Last year.the celtics beat ATL(very underated).Cleveland(not as good as last year but still good), Detroit(amazing team last year), then the lakers. So i guess it is possible.

Not sure if this is a mistake on your part, but Cleveland is A LOT better then they were last year. They never once led the Eastern Conference, and not to mention they didn't even win the central.

JordansBulls
02-28-2009, 08:50 AM
How so?

Most teams out west knew they had to go thru LA anyway and that is without HCA. So right now they are just fighting for their positioning from #2 and on.

hotdogbun
02-28-2009, 09:56 AM

First round

Lakers vs. Mavs

Cavs vs. Bucks

Second round

Lakers vs. Rockets

Cavs. vs Atlanta

Conference Finals

Lakers vs. Spurs

Cavs. vs. Boston

dallas sucks now. lakers vs. mavs just sounds scary because mavs have a reputation and they are popular but they really suck

CHief_0_o_Wahoo
02-28-2009, 12:03 PM
dallas sucks now. lakers vs. mavs just sounds scary because mavs have a reputation and they are popular but they really suck

They still have a better playoff team than the Bucks.

Dirk still is still a tough player to go up against, you add the experience of the Mavs too and you have a fairly tough playoff team.

chicagowhitesox
02-28-2009, 12:51 PM
lakers- best team in the nba and the west is weaker this season.

Sidious
02-28-2009, 01:06 PM
There is no one in the west thats going to challenge LA besides may SA and even then we'll only rape them in the playoffs anyway.

In the east, you have Boston, Cleveland, and Orlando.

Missing56&33
02-28-2009, 02:30 PM
the celtics, i kinda feel bad for rondo, marbury gonna take his starting job or make him uncomfortable and take away from his game, steph be the first point off the bench. See him scoring 30 before the season is over

JordansBulls
02-28-2009, 02:31 PM
There is no one in the west thats going to challenge LA besides may SA and even then we'll only rape them in the playoffs anyway.

In the east, you have Boston, Cleveland, and Orlando.

People keep saying San Antonio, but New Orleans gives them the toughest time in LA.

Missing56&33
02-28-2009, 02:48 PM
^^^^^^^agree with you JB the lakers will have to work hard to get to the finals because the west is so competitve. NO does play them well. Once Booz gets his legs back they might can knock off LA

Raidaz4Life
02-28-2009, 02:51 PM

I think the Lakers are actually the deepest team which is why I say they have the best chance

magichatnumber9
02-28-2009, 03:02 PM
Whoever wins between the Celtics and the Cavs will be playing the best basketball at that time. The East will win again.

prodigy
02-28-2009, 03:03 PM
pulls like this are dumb. We all know lakers have the biggest front runner fans in the sport.

DenButsu
02-28-2009, 03:05 PM
I think the numerics of your question answers itself.

gauth25
02-28-2009, 03:26 PM

First round

Lakers vs. Mavs

Cavs vs. Bucks

Second round

Lakers vs. Rockets

Cavs. vs Atlanta

Conference Finals

Lakers vs. Spurs

Cavs. vs. Boston

I wouldn't say the Celtics are more of a competition then the Spurs. They showed that earliar this year.

still1ballin
02-28-2009, 03:52 PM
People keep saying San Antonio, but New Orleans gives them the toughest time in LA.

No way! We won the season series 3-1. Yeah they gave us a hard time both games at home, but we whooped them at their place, but having Bynum back then. They won't have an answer for him.

marques724
02-28-2009, 04:20 PM
LA has the easier path to the finals. Boston and Cleveland more than likely have to play each other.

superkegger
02-28-2009, 04:47 PM
don't forget about the jazz to they can be pretty tough to in the playoffs.

Yes, they can be, and they are playing very well right now. And it is very likely they could end up the 4th seed. I was simply going by the current standings though and assuming that all higher seeds won out. It might not happen that way, but it was just the simplest and easiest way to flesh out the argument.

They may "suck", but they still have experience, and a legit superstar in Dirk, as well as several other weapons in Kidd, Terry and Howard. All I'm saying is that a first round matchup vs. the Mavs is a more difficult one than playing the Bucks.

lakers- best team in the nba and the west is weaker this season.

Weaker than last year, yes. But the west will still put 8 quality teams in the playoffs that don't feature any first round gimmies. No offense to the lower seeds in the east, but whoever they end up being, with chicago, milwuakee, new jersey, new york, indiana or charlotte, but the Cavs and Celtics should have a pretty easy first round.

Maybe, but unless the Hornets really get things clicking, they will have a very difficult time reaching the WCF. Again, I'll go back to what I said before. If the season ended today, and all the higher seeds (with or course New Orleans winning their series') the hornets would have to beat Denver and San Antonio to even get a chance at the Lakers.

I wouldn't say the Celtics are more of a competition then the Spurs. They showed that earliar this year.

I agree to a point. If the spurs are healthy, yes. But if Manu is not "manu" then the spurs aren't the threat they could be. And while yes, he is supposed to be back in a week or two here, will he really be fully healthy? Will he be playing with the vigor and swagger that makes Manu the threat he is? Who knows. If he's not though, it is a major hurdle the spurs would have to overcome, and one that I don't think they can vs. the Lakers.

Sidious
02-28-2009, 04:49 PM
People don't realize just how broken we are with Bynum in the lineup.

JordansBulls
02-28-2009, 07:27 PM
LA has the easier path to the finals. Boston and Cleveland more than likely have to play each other.

So is Cleveland better than The Spurs if they met in a series with both teams healthy?

lorenz00
02-28-2009, 07:50 PM
cAVS and lakers in the end but i see larkers win it all

superkegger
02-28-2009, 07:52 PM
cAVS and lakers in the end but i see larkers win it all

well that really doesn't answer the question, at all.

what54!?
02-28-2009, 07:52 PM
The lakers do. The C's and cavs are probably gonna play each other in the ECF. The lakers biggest challenge are the spurs and maybe the nuggets

HOZ THE KNICK
02-28-2009, 07:53 PM
lakers as the west getting weaker and weaker by the years.