PDA

View Full Version : YAO MING "Great Wall of China"

Fire&Ice2&33
02-27-2009, 01:07 PM
I see people talking about how Dwight is better than Yao Ming!!!! He just airballed a free-throw against the Bulls! How is he better when he cant do nothing 4real,but dunk!!!

Raidaz4Life
02-27-2009, 01:09 PM
Last time I checked dwight was leading the league in rebounds and blocks... two things which I'm pretty sure qualify as something other than a dunk

JJ81
02-27-2009, 01:12 PM
Last time I checked dwight was leading the league in rebounds and blocks... two things which I'm pretty sure qualify as something other than a dunk

:clap:

Fire&Ice2&33
02-27-2009, 01:14 PM
That doesnt mean he is better than Yao,by rebounding

DrDEADalready
02-27-2009, 01:15 PM
Howard>>>>>>>>Yao

philtheimpaler
02-27-2009, 01:18 PM
That doesnt mean he is better than Yao,by rebounding

To be the best C in the League the player has to have a combination of offense and defense. THAT INCLUDES REBOUNDS AND BLOCKS. While Yao might score more pts theres no way he's a better center than Dwight.

Jethro
02-27-2009, 01:19 PM
This is a Houston Rockets team that won 22 straight last year mostly without Yao, and this year have him healthy an no T-Mac and are writing their season off completely. The Orlando Magic are the best they have been since Shaq was there. Good luck trying to convince many that Yao is better than Howard.

Verbal Christ
02-27-2009, 01:21 PM
last time i checked Yao owns Dwight in head to head matchups. i guess Dwight can only beat up on the scrubs.

Verbal Christ
02-27-2009, 01:23 PM
This is a Houston Rockets team that won 22 straight last year mostly without Yao, and this year have him healthy an no T-Mac and are writing their season off completely. The Orlando Magic are the best they have been since Shaq was there. Good luck trying to convince many that Yao is better than Howard.

writing their season off??? HAHAHAHA why cuz we traded the worst starting PG in the league?? better yet after trying for 3 years to trade him we finally found some sucker team to take him on. hilarious. I can only wish both our teams make it to the finals again, would be nice to see a repeat of what happened in 94.

DitchDat
Dwight is already better and he will only improve.

Yao is good, but definitely not better than Superman.

DrDEADalready
last time i checked Yao owns Dwight in head to head matchups. i guess Dwight can only beat up on the scrubs.

Story of Deron williams life :( I feel ya on that.

R. Johnson#3
02-27-2009, 01:27 PM
Great Wall of China, meet the mongolians. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQw7Ss0mP7M)

pippsux
02-27-2009, 01:31 PM
Dwight is better, but u can't throw the ball to Dwight in the post for an easy shot or 3 point play. With Yao in the post u get that and the free throw. If I needed a post player, I would take Yao, despite Dwight's edge in rebounding and shot blocking.

NYKnickFanatic
02-27-2009, 01:42 PM
I see people talking about how Dwight is better than Yao Ming!!!! He just airballed a free-throw against the Bulls! How is he better when he cant do nothing 4real,but dunk!!!

Are you serious? :pity:

S.J.Basketball
02-27-2009, 01:47 PM
Last I checked Howard was averaging more POINTS, REBOUNDS, and BLOCKS per game. Oh yea and he also shoots aa better PERCENTAGE as well.

So Yao owns Dwight on free throws. Honestly, how does that make him a better player?

Yea...thats what I thought....

IndyRealist
02-27-2009, 01:51 PM
Yao's underrated virtually everywhere except in China, where he's overrated. Ultimately there's not a half-court team in the league that wouldn't kill to have either one. Howard is a better shot blocker and rebhounder because he is more mobile and athletic. Yao's a better jump shooter, has more post moves, and is a better passer. Yao's game is more likely to allow him to still be effective a decade from now, assuming his knees hold up. Dwight's body is more rugged though, so he could end up having the longer career. I'd say it's a toss up.

Rockets4Life
02-27-2009, 01:59 PM
Please. This is no contest. Yao is better. How many times does he have to prove that to people. Dwight can't shot. All he can do is dunk and once in a awhile do a hook. Anyone can rebound the ball. Dwight doesnt have to use all his energy on the offensive side like yao does. The ball goes into yao on almost every play. Yao ming has the fad-a-wade jumper, the hookshot, a jumpshot, dunk and can hit the free-throw. Yao also rebounds also just not as much as dwight does. Yao is the complete center. Everytime dwight plays against the great teams with great centers, he doesnt play to his full potential. Yao ming shines when he plays against the best. Dwight seems to be a streetballer that can just dunks, lol. Don't get me wrong. Dwight is a great player, but NOT better than Yao ming.

Quote from Dwight "I love dunking - 90 percent of my shots are dunks."

Rockets4Life
02-27-2009, 02:01 PM
Last I checked Howard was averaging more POINTS, REBOUNDS, and BLOCKS per game. Oh yea and he also shoots aa better PERCENTAGE as well.

So Yao owns Dwight on free throws. Honestly, how does that make him a better player?

Yea...thats what I thought....

Thats cause 90% of his shots are DUNKS!!

mrblisterdundee
02-27-2009, 02:01 PM
Free throws are good to make, but Dwight is still way better. Yao is an injury-raddled seven footer. Dwight is one of the most consistent players in the league, and way more athletic. There is no contest. If Yao was as dominant as Dwight, than the Rockets would have a much better record.

Canucklehead
02-27-2009, 02:17 PM
Thats cause 90% of his shots are DUNKS!!

So dunkings bad because it's a more efficient way of getting the orange ball into the basket thingy?...ok gotcha

superkegger
02-27-2009, 02:38 PM
I'd say Yao has a better skill set than Dwight, but who is better, idk, it's close. If I had to take one, it would without a doubt be Dwight. Here's why:

Yao has a nice array of post moves, and can pretty much sink his little jumper all day on pretty much anybody, that's what comes from being 7'6" with nice touch.

Dwight can outmuscle just about anybody in the league and goes to the rim hard, and while his array of moves in the post is somewhat limited, getting dunks is not a bad thing. Last time I checked it's the most effective shot there is.

Dwight is a better defender. While I think he gets overrated as a defender, his size and mobility, as well as his shot blocking make him a very good defensive anchor, and while his team D is excellent, his man post D does need work.

Yao is an ok defender. But he doesn't provide that defensive anchor you'd like from your C. He's not really what you would call a shot blocker, and for a dude as friggin huge as he is, I'd think he get more boards.

Also, until this season, Dwight hadn't missed a single game in his NBA career, something Yao couldn't say.

That's important, because look at it this way. 4 or 5 years ago, people would say Tmac was on Kobe's level when right, which was true. But you can only be a good player if you're on the floor, and Tmac hasn't been able to stay on the floor. And with Yao, it's the same, you have to wonder, are we going to get even 70 games from his this year?

Bottom line, I feel dwight, despite his somewhat limited offensive capabilities has more room to grow, more upside and already brings more to the table than yao.

Rockets4Life
02-27-2009, 02:43 PM
So dunkings bad because it's a more efficient way of getting the orange ball into the basket thingy?...ok gotcha

I never said dunking was bad. He said that his shooting percentage was better than Yao. Only because 90% of his makes are dunks. He rarely shots the ball.

{}
02-27-2009, 02:48 PM
Yao has a nice array of post moves, and can pretty much sink his little jumper all day on pretty much anybody, that's what comes from being 7'6" with nice touch.

His 'little jumper' is deep post scoring where he scores 95% of his offense, all created by himself. D.Howard scores off other players assists and by crashing the boards and couldn't create consistent offense for himself or his team if his life depended on it. The guy almost looks semi-******** with his jumper which anyone can replicate his accuracy by balling both hands in a fist and then shooting. Howards offense is ridiculously bad and if dude ever blew out his knee and lost his vert he couldn't manage 40% from the field.

The real measure though is how Yao routinely destroys D.Howard when they face one another. Howard can't outmuscle and stop Yao. Yao has no problem posting Howard up at will and scoring.

D.Howard earns his paycheck and is a good rebounder and finisher at the rim, but dude is not a dominant player who can carry his team and make them those around him better. He's a complimentary superstar blue collar type of player. He's a bulky version of KG or a modern day Kevin Willis with more defense and less offensive skill. :smoking:

{}
02-27-2009, 03:16 PM
Yao's underrated virtually everywhere except in China, where he's overrated. Ultimately there's not a half-court team in the league that wouldn't kill to have either one. Howard is a better shot blocker and rebhounder because he is more mobile and athletic. Yao's a better jump shooter, has more post moves, and is a better passer. Yao's game is more likely to allow him to still be effective a decade from now, assuming his knees hold up. Dwight's body is more rugged though, so he could end up having the longer career. I'd say it's a toss up.

Concerning the longevity question. Dwights entire game is based on his athletic and jumping ability. Yao's game is based on physical dominance, as well as skill and a mastery of the fundamentals. We've seen what happens to players like Sean Kemp, Steve Francis, Tracy McGrady, David Robinson after they hit 30 and start losing their explosiveness. Conversely, we've seen how long players with a deeper game can last in the league, players like MJ, Stockton, Malone, Kareem.

D.Howard will blow out his knees long before Yao given their different styles of play. Ben Wallace's collision with Yao last night resulted in him breaking his leg and Yao barely flinched.

The bottom line is Howard simply has more mainstream appeal to hype driven, bandwagonish NBA fans. He's considered the better showman and gets more media attention. His superman act in particular left all the fanboys swooning and declaring, "Ain't he a dream boi" as they fan themselves to keep from fainting. Quite pathetic if you ask me. :smoking:

Verbal Christ
02-27-2009, 03:48 PM
BEWARE THE FACE!! ^^ Nice squiggly, so nice. Will someone just post the head to head matchups between Yao and Dwight and the game outcome.

Mr_Peabody
02-27-2009, 04:06 PM
last time i remember, i dont recall dwight howard getting blocked by a 5'9" nate robinson

NYKnickFanatic
02-27-2009, 04:11 PM
last time i remember, i dont recall dwight howard getting blocked by a 5'9" nate robinson

Hey hey now. Dont single out Yao.
Nate does that on a nightly basis. ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPo7GHmwbXE

:24 is where it starts.

superkegger
02-27-2009, 04:14 PM
BEWARE THE FACE!! ^^ Nice squiggly, so nice. Will someone just post the head to head matchups between Yao and Dwight and the game outcome.

So, the basis of who is a better play is soley on who plays better in head to head matchups? While I think that's an important part of the equation, it's not the sole deciding factor. Or else we'd all be saying Deron Williams is hands down the best pg in the NBA, but you don't hear that now do you?

Fire&Ice2&33
02-27-2009, 04:20 PM

Lol how are we writing our season off??? Please tell me

Mr_Peabody
02-27-2009, 04:22 PM
Hey hey now. Dont single out Yao.
Nate does that on a nightly basis. ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPo7GHmwbXE

:24 is where it starts.

thx for thad vid i didnt notice he did that again. But at least Bosh was bein guarded by someone else robinson just came for the help. In the Yao vid, he just turned around and thought he had an easy layup and Nate just stuffed him.

sp1derm00
02-27-2009, 04:25 PM
You can't really compare stats between the two because of the difference of the teams.

Houston is a VERY slow paced team when Yao is on the floor. They rely on defense to win.

Orlando isn't a bad defensive team, but they play at a faster pace.

Fire&Ice2&33
02-27-2009, 04:26 PM
thx for thad vid i didnt notice he did that again. But at least Bosh was bein guarded by someone else robinson just came for the help. In the Yao vid, he just turned around and thought he had an easy layup and Nate just stuffed him.

Yea,but if Nate can dunk easy,then its no problem if he blocks Yao...Yao did think it was some easy points

aNYer
02-27-2009, 04:27 PM
Yao is better, if your from Huston, thats about it. Howard doesn't have much of a shot but if he did the debate would be over already. He is scoring around the basket more with different shots, getting that left hand going a little. Everywhere else you have to take Dwight.

madiaz3
02-27-2009, 04:28 PM
Yao owns Dwight in all head to heads, it's the first case where even with his leap he is not as big as his opposing center so he runs into problems...

madiaz3
02-27-2009, 04:29 PM
Yao is better, if your from Huston, thats about it. Howard doesn't have much of a shot but if he did the debate would be over already. He is scoring around the basket more with different shots, getting that left hand going a little. Everywhere else you have to take Dwight.

Yeah if Wade or Lebron were as good a 3 point shooter as Kobe were then they would be the best too, but they are not, so don't throw in hypotheticals, the fact is, dwight doesnt have the moves and that hurts him when comparing.

FOBolous
02-27-2009, 04:31 PM

correction: they won the first 11 WITH yao and yao started the winning streak WITHOUT tmac while tmac was injured.

another correction: last year, when yao got injured...everyone thought the rockets' season is over. the front page of the Houston Chonicle, houston's main newspaper, had these words in giant bold print: season over? this year...guess what was the sentiment in Houston when Tmac was declared out for the season? relieve. most of houston felt like our season is just new truly starting with tmac injured because we're not distracted by tmac anymore

yet another correction: it's a common misconception that Houston is writing the season off. yes we traded rafer alston, our starting PG, not because we're tossing in the towel but because we're grooming Aaron Brooks. everyone in Houston knows that but for some reason, the national media is not seeing that. Our record this season has been better with Aaron Brooks as our starter...A LOT better and he has hit some pretty big shots for us this year. In fact, he's doing so good that our coach have opt to use Aaron Brooks to close out the game instead of Rafer Alston. The purpose of trading Rafer Alston was to make space for Aaron Brooks and so we can get a suitable backup for Aaron Brooks.

seriously...i don't know where yall got the idea that houston is "thowing in the towel." it doesn't make sense no matter how you look at it. what would houston gain from giving up on the season? high draft pick? more than likely not :pity: houston gains NOTHING from giving up.

aNYer
02-27-2009, 04:33 PM
Really? I don't even get to see a lot of his games and I have seen an improvement. He does have a post up game and uses his ability to get to the basket even if its for a dunk. he is fast and more agile and he is a blocking machine. Yao got better but he isn't as intimidating as someone his size should be. I like his game but he is not Dwight.

alexander_37
02-27-2009, 04:36 PM
Really? I don't even get to see a lot of his games and I have seen an improvement. He does have a post up game and uses his ability to get to the basket even if its for a dunk. he is fast and more agile and he is a blocking machine. Yao got better but he isn't as intimidating as someone his size should be. I like his game but he is not Dwight.

Yah because Dwight has no jump shot no great post moves and no free throw shooting ability..... so no he is not Dwight.

aNYer
02-27-2009, 04:44 PM
Even if you take yao's injuries out the picture which is a HUGE factor with him Dwight brings more to a team on both ends, look at his numbers, you can't Deny that. I'm not even saying Yao is bad but other then free throw percentage he doesn't bring more to his team. Its nice he can shoot but Dwight still scores blocks rebounds and out steals Yao, Dwight is just slightly behind in assists, the gap his jumped up to .5 for this year, so how is Dwight not better aside from every aspect of the game

dgreat5000
02-27-2009, 04:51 PM
Yao missed 2 dunks in 1 possesion the other day....But Yao is indeed a better shooter than Dwight, but Howard is better at EVERY oher category.

Mr_Peabody
02-27-2009, 05:17 PM
Yea,but if Nate can dunk easy,then its no problem if he blocks Yao...Yao did think it was some easy points

Thats not true. they are 2 different things. Yao is practically 2 feet taller thyan him. in no situation whatsoever should he be getting blocked by nate.

astrosmaniac
02-27-2009, 05:17 PM
this is the perfect statement IMO

I'd say Yao has a better skill set than Dwight, but who is better, idk, it's close. If I had to take one, it would without a doubt be Dwight. Here's why:

Dwight can outmuscle just about anybody in the league and goes to the rim hard, and while his array of moves in the post is somewhat limited, getting dunks is not a bad thing. Last time I checked it's the most effective shot there is.

Dwight is a better defender. While I think he gets overrated as a defender, his size and mobility, as well as his shot blocking make him a very good defensive anchor, and while his team D is excellent, his man post D does need work.

Yao is an ok defender. But he doesn't provide that defensive anchor you'd like from your C. He's not really what you would call a shot blocker, and for a dude as friggin huge as he is, I'd think he get more boards.

Also, until this season, Dwight hadn't missed a single game in his NBA career, something Yao couldn't say.

That's important, because look at it this way. 4 or 5 years ago, people would say Tmac was on Kobe's level when right, which was true. But you can only be a good player if you're on the floor, and Tmac hasn't been able to stay on the floor. And with Yao, it's the same, you have to wonder, are we going to get even 70 games from his this year?

Bottom line, I feel dwight, despite his somewhat limited offensive capabilities has more room to grow, more upside and already brings more to the table than yao.
the thing most people sont understand is that all of his injuries besides the stress fracture last year were freak accidents. and the stress fracture only shows that he was working too hard to try and help his team, and ended up hurting himself. thats the type of player i want on my team.

also, welcome back

Rockets4Life
02-27-2009, 05:18 PM

Anybody can block someone from behind or from the side. Its not like Nate stuffed him at the rim or anything. Yao was bringing the ball up and thats when Nate block him.

SJSHARKIES
02-27-2009, 05:26 PM
I would rather have Yao I think he is better, he is a better scorer and shooter. Dwight is more athletic and better defensively, but he doesn't seem to have any fundamentals he relies too much on his strength and power. It will only get him so far, he has to develop his game.

dgreat5000
02-27-2009, 05:30 PM
regardless of that YAO is a Vet, so his awareness should be there, he's 7'7...Shaq never gets blocked like that...why is that??

superkegger
02-27-2009, 05:30 PM
the thing most people sont understand is that all of his injuries besides the stress fracture last year were freak accidents. and the stress fracture only shows that he was working too hard to try and help his team, and ended up hurting himself. thats the type of player i want on my team.

also, welcome back

They may have been freak accidents. But that tends to happen more when a guy is 7' ****ing 6". It's not really natural to be that tall, and strange and unnormal injuries can befall him more easily. Guys his height, have not had very good longevity in the NBA, and while it's not his own fault, when you're that big, it's can be hard to avoid injury.

{}
02-27-2009, 05:59 PM
So, the basis of who is a better play is soley on who plays better in head to head matchups? While I think that's an important part of the equation, it's not the sole deciding factor. Or else we'd all be saying Deron Williams is hands down the best pg in the NBA, but you don't hear that now do you?

I specifically stated Yao is the more dominant player. I don't know exactly what criteria you use for 'who is a better player'. Although, I gave my suspicions as to what that means in my last paragraph. IMO, in the bigger picture true dominance is more valuable than a jack of all trades, master of nothing. Howard's inflated rebounding, his one dimensional scoring and his extra block a game isn't going to propel the Magic to a championship.

I find it aggrevating how clueless and American Idolized the NBA has become. It's all about marketing, name recognition and a mindless look at who has the prettier fantasy league numbers.

A clueless look says Howard's 20+ a night in scoring is higher, therefore he's better. A more knowledgable fan understands being spoon fed 20 per game at the rim by teammates is a lot less dominating than scoring 20 per night by creating your own offense against an obligatory double team every game.

I'll admit Howard is probably a fantasy leaguers wet dream. The Magic are racking up the regular season wins. Congratulations. I guess if I didn't know better I'd conclude all that means Howard is an elite and the Magic are contenders. :rolleyes:

Fortunately I'm under no such delusion. A high individual rebounding average means jack. A divison banner means jack. True defensive impact of a center is reflected in the team's defensive stats. A comparison between the Rockets defense that Yao anchors vs the Magics D which Howard anchors will paint the real story.

And again, Individually, Yao easily bests Howard. The fact Howard is little competition in defending Yao or scoring against Yao's defense when they face one another is a strong statement.

FOBolous
02-27-2009, 06:14 PM
I specifically stated Yao is the more dominant player. I don't know exactly what criteria you use for 'who is a better player'. Although, I gave my suspicions as to what that means in my last paragraph. IMO, in the bigger picture true dominance is more valuable than a jack of all trades, master of nothing. Howard's inflated rebounding, his one dimensional scoring and his extra block a game isn't going to propel the Magic to a championship.

I find it aggrevating how clueless and American Idolized the NBA has become. It's all about marketing, name recognition and a mindless look at who has the prettier fantasy league numbers.

A clueless look says Howard's 20+ a night in scoring is higher, therefore he's better. A more knowledgable fan understands being spoon fed 20 per game at the rim by teammates is a lot less dominating than scoring 20 per night by creating your own offense against an obligatory double team every game.

I'll admit Howard is probably a fantasy leaguers wet dream. The Magic are racking up the regular season wins. Congratulations. I guess if I didn't know better I'd conclude all that means Howard is an elite and the Magic are contenders. :rolleyes:

Fortunately I'm under no such delusion. A high individual rebounding average means jack. A divison banner means jack. True defensive impact of a center is reflected in the team's defensive stats. A comparison between the Rockets defense that Yao anchors vs the Magics D which Howard anchors will paint the real story.

And again, Individually, Yao easily bests Howard. The fact Howard is little competition in defending Yao or scoring against Yao's defense when they face one another is a strong statement.

:clap:

Missing56&33
02-27-2009, 06:29 PM
there both equal until one of them gets a championship. IMO

akesh99
02-27-2009, 06:34 PM
Dwight OWNS Yao! If I'm buidling my team, I take Howard any day over Yao. Don't get me wrong, Yao is a great player but Howard averages 3 more ppg, 5 more rpg and has practically doubled Yao in blocks. Doesn't seem like a tough choice to me

superkegger
02-27-2009, 06:55 PM

I can dig that. I just have one problem, and if you look at what I bolded you'll see. I don't know how you can criticize Howard and the Magic for their wins and status as elite and championship contenders. Especially Dwight's role in that status. And while you don't say the Rockets are Championship contenders, you strongly imply it by what say about what Yao brings to the table vs. what Dwight does. Maybe I'm reading to much into it, but I got that feeling.

And there's nothing wrong with that necessarily, but the fact still remains that Yao has never been out of the first round, and that if he were that dominant force you speak of, he should have seen the second round by now? no?

Yao is definetly more skilled, no doubt. He can create his own shot, and you can throw the ball into the post, and he can take it from there.

What I would like to point out, is that on Yao's inside shots, he's assisted 57% of the time on those shots, compared to 51% of Howard's. On Jump shots, of which Yao takes a lot more of than howard, he's assisted on 58% of those, compared to 47% for Howard.

Yao takes about 20% more 2pt jumpshots than howard and shoots about 10%better.

You are right though, Yao is a better defensive anchor for his club. I was mistaken about that. Points per 100 possesions for when Yao and Dwight are on and off the court clearly favors Yao.

I don't know, it's a touch comparison. Yao definetly has his strong points, as does Dwight. You've definetly given me more to think about, and I don't think I can say either which way who is the better player.

DRE'-MAC
02-27-2009, 06:56 PM
As a Rockets fan, I have to admit that Dwight is the better player but not by much. Also, Yao seems to usually play better than Dwight when they play each other and also, the reason Dwight gets so many darn rebounds is because there line up is 4 three point shooters and him down low so he just stays down there getting rebounds. But the truth is, Dwight is better than Yao but not by much.

aNYer
02-27-2009, 06:59 PM
Dwight OWNS Yao! If I'm buidling my team, I take Howard any day over Yao. Don't get me wrong, Yao is a great player but Howard averages 3 more ppg, 5 more rpg and has practically doubled Yao in blocks. Doesn't seem like a tough choice to me

stats don't matter when they don't support your point of view. guess what spoon fed 20 points does more for a team then someone creating 19. Not checking right now but more points are better every time.

akesh99
02-27-2009, 07:22 PM
stats don't matter when they don't support your point of view. guess what spoon fed 20 points does more for a team then someone creating 19. Not checking right now but more points are better every time.

all im saying is that Howard right now, is the most dominant post player in the NBA. Yao's game may be more versitile, however Howard is too good at what he does to be overlooked

Fire&Ice2&33
02-27-2009, 07:33 PM
all im saying is that Howard right now, is the most dominant post player in the NBA. Yao's game may be more versitile, however Howard is too good at what he does to be overlooked

He is not the most dominant!!!!

Mr_Peabody
02-27-2009, 07:42 PM
Anybody can block someone from behind or from the side. Its not like Nate stuffed him at the rim or anything. Yao was bringing the ball up and thats when Nate block him.

uhh...he didnt get blocked from the back or the side. he turned, went up, and got stuffed, from the front. He was practically at the rim wat are you smokin??

Mr_Peabody
02-27-2009, 07:55 PM

I agree that people just back up certain players cuz they are famous, but Dwight is not one of them. so what if he is spoon fed?? the guy finishes, something thats critical to a championship winning team. I choose Dwight because he is a better Center than Yao. IMO, he has stength, he rebounds, and he finishes, thats a tru center.

Where in your right mind do you say rebounds are worth jack?? Rebounds play a big part in deciding the game. It makes a huge difference. Securing offensive rebounds ensures you get a second chance to score 2 or 3pts, and can keep a teams morale up. Example, if a player misses a shot, and another snags the offensive rebound, you keep momentum. you allow your team another chance at the basket, and if this time it is good, then you give your team a little boost, knowing they had a good offensive possesion. If you take a shot and miss, and the other team gets it, now you have to worry bout goin back on deffense knowing you wasted an offensive possesion.

Defensive rebounds, are just as important. If you play good D for 20 seconds of the 24 second shot clock, but the team secures an offensive rebound, it hurts. It feels as tho you wasted the good D and can really deflate your team, as well as pump up the other team. Securing the defensive rebound, rewards your good D, and helps with confidence on the offensive end, Knowing you kept the team from scoring. 1 or 2 rebounds could be the difference of the whole game.

Verbal Christ
02-27-2009, 08:02 PM
geez louise ... so dwight dominates a conference where 9 out of 15 teams are BELOW .500 .. whoopdie doo. Apart from the "big 3" in the eastern conference the rest of the competition is a joke. and i dont have the numbers in front of me but im not too convinced the magic have a winning record against the west. TO BE THE BEST, YOU HAVE TO BEAT THE BEST... why are the head to head stats insignificant when trying to decide which player is better than another? Yao owns Dwight, hands down, plain and simple, the ROX own the Magic. If the ROX were in the eastern conference we'd be like 44-11 too probably. Yao goes against tougher opponents on a nightly basis, facing double and triple teams routinely!! How many teams say, "oh no we better double dwight fast or he's gonna hit that jumper on us"?? Yao is efficient on both blocks with both hands, has range out to 20 feet, rebounds statistically not as high because of all the other good rebounders on our team, blocks are not high but how about the intimidations in the paint? Until Dwight can develop a more polished offensive game, and start winning some of the matchups between Yao, he will be the second best center in basketball .. (hey people thats not a bad thing) and besides in this day and age how many good centers are there period?

Fire&Ice2&33
02-27-2009, 08:09 PM
geez louise ... so dwight dominates a conference where 9 out of 15 teams are BELOW .500 .. whoopdie doo. Apart from the "big 3" in the eastern conference the rest of the competition is a joke. and i dont have the numbers in front of me but im not too convinced the magic have a winning record against the west. TO BE THE BEST, YOU HAVE TO BEAT THE BEST... why are the head to head stats insignificant when trying to decide which player is better than another? Yao owns Dwight, hands down, plain and simple, the ROX own the Magic. If the ROX were in the eastern conference we'd be like 44-11 too probably. Yao goes against tougher opponents on a nightly basis, facing double and triple teams routinely!! How many teams say, "oh no we better double dwight fast or he's gonna hit that jumper on us"?? Yao is efficient on both blocks with both hands, has range out to 20 feet, rebounds statistically not as high because of all the other good rebounders on our team, blocks are not high but how about the intimidations in the paint? Until Dwight can develop a more polished offensive game, and start winning some of the matchups between Yao, he will be the second best center in basketball .. (hey people thats not a bad thing) and besides in this day and age how many good centers are there period?

LOVE THIS:clap::clap::clap::clap:

ESPN is about to show the game and we are going to see how dominant he is

akesh99
02-27-2009, 08:26 PM
He is not the most dominant!!!!

so please enlighten me, who is?

dgreat5000
02-27-2009, 08:28 PM

LBJ is most dominant player in game, hands down...But Dwight needs alot of improvement!!! He doesn't bring his "A" game every night!! Hilton Armstrong and Sean MArks shut him down when CP# lit them up for 36...he had like 7 pts. thats unacceptabe

Fire&Ice2&33
02-27-2009, 08:29 PM
LBJ is most dominant player in game, hands down...But Dwight needs alot of improvement!!! He doesn't bring his "A" game every night!! Hilton Armstrong and Sean MArks shut him down when CP# lit them up for 36...he had like 7 pts. thats unacceptabe

Lol Hilton will want to sit on the bench when YAO get to him

Mr_Peabody
02-27-2009, 08:36 PM

ur right they dont double him saying hes gonna hit the pretty little jumper, they try and double him cuz if they dont he'll just monster dunk right over them and put them in a poster. Get wit it dude, Yao is not the best center in the league. thats sad that you say that just because he doesnt match up well with againts Yao. Kenyon Martin does one of the best jobs defending Tim Duncan. Does this mean Kenyon is better than Duncan??

Verbal Christ
02-27-2009, 08:45 PM
ur right they dont double him saying hes gonna hit the pretty little jumper, they try and double him cuz if they dont he'll just monster dunk right over them and put them in a poster. Get wit it dude, Yao is not the best center in the league. thats sad that you say that just because he doesnt match up well with againts Yao. Kenyon Martin does one of the best jobs defending Tim Duncan. Does this mean Kenyon is better than Duncan??

monster dunk about sums up his offensive game, pretty soon it will turn into Hack A Dwight too cuz he's airballing free throws, so late in close games all teams will have to do is intentionally foul Dwight, wait for the misses and then go about their buisness. and then you rationalize the argument by comparing a first ballot hall of famer to kenyon martin??? LMAO dude you need to get "wit" it. and with yao its not just the pretty little jumper, its the plethora of offensive moves, to go along with monster dunks and everything else that dwight does but maybe a few statistical points lower, and i've said its due to the weak competition. prove me wrong with more than a huffy puffy "my center will beat up your center" excuse.

FOBolous
02-27-2009, 08:47 PM
so please enlighten me, who is?

here you go:

FOBolous
02-27-2009, 08:49 PM
yea i remember from last night's game against the cavs...right when Yao caught the ball, 3 different cavs surrounded him right away...i think it was big z, big ben, and someone else. when i say right away...i meant right away. like you blink and 3 players are already surrounding Yao.

{}
02-27-2009, 08:53 PM

Pretty much sums it up perfectly. :clap:

Mr_Peabody
02-27-2009, 09:01 PM
monster dunk about sums up his offensive game, pretty soon it will turn into Hack A Dwight too cuz he's airballing free throws, so late in close games all teams will have to do is intentionally foul Dwight, wait for the misses and then go about their buisness. and then you rationalize the argument by comparing a first ballot hall of famer to kenyon martin??? LMAO dude you need to get "wit" it. and with yao its not just the pretty little jumper, its the plethora of offensive moves, to go along with monster dunks and everything else that dwight does but maybe a few statistical points lower, and i've said its due to the weak competition. prove me wrong with more than a huffy puffy "my center will beat up your center" excuse.

Wow dude....Kenyon is not my center. Nene is. Neither is Tim Duncan a center either. I was just pointing out how this guy said UNTIL DWIGHT MATCHES UP BETTER WITH YAO, HE WILL ALWAYS BE SECOND BEST...not true, which is what i was trying to point out about K-mart and Timmy... Get wit it bro. and by offensive moves, you mean getting blocked by Nate?? He should be better than Dwight, he is 7'6" do i have to say this all over?? but he is not. he gets stuffed on way more than dwight does because hes weak. how often does Dwight get dunked on by players like Dahntey Jones??

Do you even watch him?? i have seen the guy post up, turn, and hit with the teardrop. dont say he just, monster dunks. Since when is averaging 5 more rebounds a game not dominant?? not to include he has practically a block and a half more than Yao...u guys are sad

KB24PG16
02-28-2009, 03:17 AM
howard>yao

GHKSDF
02-28-2009, 11:05 PM
fIRE & iCE...do you still think we want Yao in chicago?? The guy is weak and has been blocked and dunked on by Tyrus. Yao is weak

FOBolous
02-28-2009, 11:28 PM
fIRE & iCE...do you still think we want Yao in chicago?? The guy is weak and has been blocked and dunked on by Tyrus. Yao is weak

lol...Chicago is stupid if they were offered yao and they turned it down. Yao is arguably the best center in the NBA. and Yao is NOT weak. If he's really as weak as you're trying to make him out to be...than how come dwight howard gets dominated by Yao every time they play against each other? how come all the centers in the nba gets dominated by Yao? If Yao is as weak as you try to make him out to be, how come both big z and big ben couldn't stop Yao even when they double him at the same time? your claim that Yao is "weak" has no logic behind it what-so-ever.

the reason why Yao get drunk on my opposing players isn't because he's "weak" or "soft" but i think it's because of his frame. If you notice, despite yao's weight, he has a tall skinny frame while other centers like dwight howard and shaq has a lot of bulk. Someone who's tall and skinny is easier to dunk on than someone who has a lot of bulk.

Kakaroach
02-28-2009, 11:30 PM
Yao is the best center in the NBA. If he hit the weight room and got a lot stronger, he could be one of the best of all time given his height.

greatest
02-28-2009, 11:52 PM
lol...Chicago is stupid if they were offered yao and they turned it down. Yao is arguably the best center in the NBA. and Yao is NOT weak. If he's really as weak as you're trying to make him out to be...than how come dwight howard gets dominated by Yao every time they play against each other? how come all the centers in the nba gets dominated by Yao? If Yao is as weak as you try to make him out to be, how come both big z and big ben couldn't stop Yao even when they double him at the same time? your claim that Yao is "weak" has no logic behind it what-so-ever.

the reason why Yao get drunk on my opposing players isn't because he's "weak" or "soft" but i think it's because of his frame. If you notice, despite yao's weight, he has a tall skinny frame while other centers like dwight howard and shaq has a lot of bulk. Someone who's tall and skinny is easier to dunk on than someone who has a lot of bulk.

im not trying to make him sound any weaker than what he is. the guy is weak and goes up soft. the only reason he seems strong is becuz hes 300+ pounds. if dwight was 7'6" 300+ pounds he would murder anyone who dared to stop him. once again, i will say that K-Mart guards Tim Duncan with the best...does that mean he is better than Tim Duncan?? no, so dont bring up that yao dominates dwight.

Dwight has 5 more rebounds per game, theres no way Yao can be the best, as one of the main purposes for a center is to rebound. Get off, Yao gets thrown around so much in this league. Hes 300+ pounds and 7'6". if he was AS GOOD as you say he is than he would dominate much more than he does. He wouldnt get dunked on by players a foot smaller than he is, and wouldnt get blocked by lil Nate Robinson. I could understand if he gets dunked on by Shaq, Amare, etc... but Dahntey Jones??? get outta here he is not the best.

FOBolous
02-28-2009, 11:59 PM
im not trying to make him sound any weaker than what he is. the guy is weak and goes up soft. the only reason he seems strong is becuz hes 300+ pounds. if dwight was 7'6" 300+ pounds he would murder anyone who dared to stop him.

man if yao has dwight howard's athleticism...he would doimnate the league too :rolleyes: heck if michael jordan was as tall as yao ming...it would be game over...more so than before. seriously this is the weakest point you can bring up against Yao..."if howard was as tall as yao...." pleeeeease. if yao was athletic as howard is more like it :D

i will say that K-Mart guards Tim Duncan with the best...does that mean he is better than Tim Duncan?? no, so dont bring up that yao dominates dwight.

Dwight has 5 more rebounds per game, theres no way Yao can be the best, as one of the main purposes for a center is to rebound. Get off, Yao gets thrown around so much in this league. Hes 300+ pounds and 7'6". if he was AS GOOD as you say he is than he would dominate much more than he does.

ok...how bout this...if yao is so weak, why does every center in the nba gets dominated by him the way they do?

He wouldnt get dunked on by players a foot smaller than he is, and wouldnt get blocked by lil Nate Robinson. I could understand if he gets dunked on by Shaq, Amare, etc... but Dahntey Jones??? get outta here he is not the best.

what can i say? he's cursed with a skinny frame :shrug: players with skinny frames are easier to dunk on than players with bulky frame...it's a law of nature..a law of physics...what do you want me to say about it?

greatest
03-01-2009, 12:10 AM
man if yao has dwight howard's athleticism...he would doimnate the league too :rolleyes: heck if michael jordan was as tall as yao ming...it would be game over...more so than before. seriously this is the weakest point you can bring up against Yao..."if howard was as tall as yao...." pleeeeease. if yao was athletic as howard is more like it :D

No, becuz dwight puts up better numbers. not to say numbers say all, i dont agree with that, but they do play a big part. 5 rebounds a game is big. I will say once again, i have sen dwight post up and turn around and drop in the teardrop. he doesnt need yao's athleticism he has enough of his own. As well as more strength that gets about 1.5 blocks more a game than Yao does. Yao is blessed with the size he has, im saying if he was as good as you make him sound, he should completely shred the league in rebounds and blocks. he doesnt, he competes with Dwight.

ok...how bout this...if yao is so weak, why does every center in the nba gets dominated by him the way they do?

i dont see him dominate every center in the league. He didnt dominate, noah today. he didnt dominate Miller. In fact, Noah won a battle with yao over a critical rebound that secured our win.

what can i say? he's cursed with a skinny frame :shrug: players with skinny frames are easier to dunk on than players with bulky frame...it's a law of nature..a law of physics...what do you want me to say about it?

So then dont make him sound like hes the best. that skinny frame hurts his play. I dont make excuses for dwight, i simply say dwight dominates wether he does it right at the rim or not. he gets it done down low. I cant lie, yao is a top center, but i dont like his play. i think he is weak, and for his size, he should bring much more to the court.

its bold in the quote

matt21donkey
03-01-2009, 12:34 AM
Howard avg. 1 point better per game.
Yao avgs 1 asst. better
Howard gets 4 more rbds. per game
Yao is far and away a much better passer in and out of the paint.
Howard does have 1.5 more blocks per game, but also gets 5 min more playing time
They are two dominent c's and would be very valuble to have .......BUT
with thirty seconds left ,down by 2, in game 7 you dish down low to your big man SUPERMAN (as they say) OOOOOPS...he gets fouled (CUZ HE CANT SHOOT THE FOUL SHOT) and goes straight to the line and with his free throw % he would be lucky to get one of two which is about his avg.
Yao shoots lights out at the line. YOU CAN'T COUNT ON HOWARD IN LATE GAME SITUATIONS...AND THATS WHEN THE LEADERS ARE SUPPOSED TO LEAD!!

HOWARD should stick to the dunk contest and being a very good player, cuz he will never be THAT guy you want to have the ball late in the game..

greatest
03-01-2009, 12:49 AM
Howard avg. 1 point better per game.
Yao avgs 1 asst. better
Howard gets 4 more rbds. per game
Yao is far and away a much better passer in and out of the paint.
Howard does have 1.5 more blocks per game, but also gets 5 min more playing time
They are two dominent c's and would be very valuble to have .......BUT
with thirty seconds left ,down by 2, in game 7 you dish down low to your big man SUPERMAN (as they say) OOOOOPS...he gets fouled (CUZ HE CANT SHOOT THE FOUL SHOT) and goes straight to the line and with his free throw % he would be lucky to get one of two which is about his avg.
Yao shoots lights out at the line. YOU CAN'T COUNT ON HOWARD IN LATE GAME SITUATIONS...AND THATS WHEN THE LEADERS ARE SUPPOSED TO LEAD!!

HOWARD should stick to the dunk contest and being a very good player, cuz he will never be THAT guy you want to have the ball late in the game..

nobody said he was the guy to have late in the game, now you are just talking about whos more clutch and a better FT shooter. I said he is a better center. so 1 assist outweighs 5 rebounds and 1.5 blocks?? i dont know about you, but i would much rather have a C that I know will gobble rebounds and block shots more than a C who can shoot. Thats what I have PGs, SGs, and SFs, for. I want my Cs to bang down lo, get rebounds, and get blocks. Dwight does that better than Yao

matt21donkey
03-01-2009, 12:56 AM
You Cant count on Howard late in the Game like you can with Yao ..
You can foul yao all day and all he will do is shoot OVER 83%

Howard however will be hitting 1 of 2 just to keep up his avg.

:cool::cool::cool:

greatest
03-01-2009, 12:59 AM
You Cant count on Howard late in the Game like you can with Yao ..
You can foul yao all day and all he will do is shoot OVER 83%

Howard however will be hitting 1 of 2 just to keep up his avg.

:cool::cool::cool:

i dont really have to worry about yao at the line. ill just call in nate robinson to stuff him in front of the rim again.

aside from that, it belongs in a different conversation. It has nothing to do with being a better a C

akesh99
03-01-2009, 04:57 PM
you guys can compare all the head to heads you want, the bottom line is in the numbers. Howard dominates Yao in almost every statistical category. not to mention, he is 3rd in the MVP race, while Yao is sitting in 9th.

http://www.nba.com/2009/news/features/rob_peterson/02/27/kobe_tops.mvp.20090227/index.html

based on that alone it shows that in terms of value to the team, howard is the guy. nobody is saying Yao doesnt have one of the most versatile and polished offences for a center, but like i said before, howard is too good at what he does that he cant be touched.

matt21donkey
03-01-2009, 05:01 PM
Well, I admit that Howard is more athletic (no doubt)
And avgs more boards per game. I just dont think its hands down Howard is a better center, i think he would actually be a better PF than C. I just think Yao is a better fit for what a owner/coach wants in the low post. That being said, I think Howard is a better player just not a better center.

greatest2
03-01-2009, 09:29 PM
Well, I admit that Howard is more athletic (no doubt)
And avgs more boards per game. I just dont think its hands down Howard is a better center, i think he would actually be a better PF than C. I just think Yao is a better fit for what a owner/coach wants in the low post. That being said, I think Howard is a better player just not a better center.

i actually think quite opposite. I think the Center is supposed to be the one to bang down lo and grab boards. i like my PFs to be more versatile like Yao. but i think yao is to big to not be a center.

astrosmaniac
03-01-2009, 09:44 PM
i just would like to mention about the rebounds per game. the magic run 2 SFs on the court at the same time. rashard lewis is not a PF with a 3 point shot. thats a dirk. hes a SGF playing PF. when your as athletic as howard is, if theres less eople in the paint it easier to get the rebounds. if he was playing with a true PF, his rebounds per game would go down a little

greatest2
03-01-2009, 09:53 PM
i just would like to mention about the rebounds per game. the magic run 2 SFs on the court at the same time. rashard lewis is not a PF with a 3 point shot. thats a dirk. hes a SGF playing PF. when your as athletic as howard is, if theres less eople in the paint it easier to get the rebounds. if he was playing with a true PF, his rebounds per game would go down a little

well that wont be known until he has a true PF. For now, HE is the one grabbing rebounds for his team, so he deserves credit for em.