PDA

View Full Version : which of these outcomes would you rather have?

Vampirate
02-27-2009, 06:09 AM
Ok it's been an interesting season to say the least. We are WAAAYY back, been losing like crazy............but for some reason........I dunno I really think we have made more progress than it seems.

So what would you rather be?

ramz.n
02-27-2009, 10:03 AM
with that horrible draft pick..comes with the lottery pick that can turn into a key piece for this team.

Bob_at_york
02-27-2009, 11:07 AM
I don't understand why the playoff option has to have Bargnani not developing.

Nexus
02-27-2009, 11:32 AM

Especially since Bargs developing means we're more likely to make the playoffs.

Mile High Champ
02-27-2009, 11:34 AM
i don't understand why the playoff option has to have bargnani not developing.

+1

ink
02-27-2009, 11:48 AM

Because that's essentially what we had earlier in the season when he was pressed into playing SF or coming off the bench under Sam. He was not developing. It's basically a before or after poll.

Bob_at_york
02-27-2009, 01:11 PM
but I alwasy believed that we could be a playoff team with when Bargnani developed. I was willing to wait. I guess it could be a before and after thing but it makes it sound like all of these things are tied into each other. Sam Mitchell didn't need to be fired for Bargnani to develop. He was always developing he just needed the playing time which he got when Bosh and JO went down.

ink
02-27-2009, 01:30 PM
but I alwasy believed that we could be a playoff team with when Bargnani developed. I was willing to wait. I guess it could be a before and after thing but it makes it sound like all of these things are tied into each other. Sam Mitchell didn't need to be fired for Bargnani to develop. He was always developing he just needed the playing time which he got when Bosh and JO went down.

I really think Sam blocked a few players' developments. I know Bargnani was developing but it was mainly due to the off-season work he did. He came into the season looking really good and then after a few good games, his play really tailed off. Sam's approach just didn't work for him at all.

----

What I like about the poll, if I understand it correctly, is that it frames the question so we can look at the development of the team beyond the W/L record. This is the kind of thing pebloemer has been saying recently too.

The GM has to look at EVERYTHING that happened this year, not just whether the team won or not. That's the trap the Raptors fell into with the 47 win season a few years ago: judging by the W/L record, the Raptors appeared to be doing very well under Sam. But as we know now, the team wasn't really doing that well at all. Gauging a developing team's success by the number of wins is a dangerous thing to do if you're planning for long-term success.

cynomatic
02-27-2009, 01:56 PM
I hope the Raps get a guy like Jeff Teague in the draft

RAPS424
02-27-2009, 03:23 PM
i don't understand why the playoff option has to have bargnani not developing.

i was thinking the same thing.. The choices are kinda geared towards picking the losing record one...why not throw in.. Winning record with sam.. And 100 puppies killed?..or.......lol..

bartron_44
02-27-2009, 04:16 PM
I like our current roster better. It is MUCH more cost effective to let Barg's start at the 5 and let go a 23M/yr reserve.IF we can sign Marion at a good price we will have a relatively cheap core to build around. I think this move puts us in a better position to atract FA's in 2010 too if Marion resign's this year. Instead of having only a couple of Euro players as our 'stars' in Barg's and Calderon, we will also have Marion and hopefully our first rounder from this year to help entice people to play/stay here. We won't need to get the LBJ's of the 2010 class in order to make this team compete for a title, if we can bring in 2 more top tier players though in 2010 we will be dangerously talented and deep. Or, since we will have 4 starting spots secured potentially by 2010, we will be able to afford a max contract to someone that plays our position of need...whatever it may be at that time.