PDA

View Full Version : Johnny Red Kerr and Norm Van Leir have Both Died Tonight

ProdigyI
02-27-2009, 01:47 AM
Johnny Red Kerr and Norm Van Leir have both died tonight.

They were 2 Chicago Bulls Legends, broadcasters, and players.

wow on the same day:cry:

sacgiants1213
02-27-2009, 01:51 AM
oh man this totally sucks. Definitely legendary figures and they'll be missed by chicago as well as the NBA... RIP.

abe_froman
02-27-2009, 01:57 AM
Johnny Red Kerr and Norm Van Leir have both died tonight.

They were 2 Chicago Bulls Legends, broadcasters, and players.

wow on the same day:cry:

red didnt play for the bulls,only coached/broadcast.he played for philly and syr.

and more of a bulls thing,and not really much interest gen. nba-wise

BenWin
02-27-2009, 02:00 AM
"Ex-Bulls Broadcaster Johnny "Red" Kerr Passes

CHICAGO (AP)—Johnny "Red" Kerr, the former Chicago Bulls coach who spent more than three decades as a broadcaster for the team, has died. He was 76.

Bulls spokesman Tim Hallam says Kerr died Thursday at his home. He had been battling prostate cancer.

Kerr’s death is a double blow for the Bulls, following the death also Thursday of Norm Van Lier, one of the most popular players in Bulls history. Van Lier was 61.

The Bulls unveiled a statue of Kerr at the United Center during an emotional ceremony earlier this month that included taped messages from President Obama and commissioner David Stern and speeches from Scottie Pippen and Michael Jordan.

Kerr coached the Bulls to the playoffs in their inaugural 1966-67 season and spent more than 30 years calling their games."

http://csnchicago.com/pages/new_landing/?Ex-Bulls-Broadcaster-Johnny-Red-Kerr-Pas=1&blockID=42114&feedID=661

man. this has just been a horrible day. my sympathies go out to the Van Lier and Kerr families. I'm glad that I've been lucky enough to listen to them throughout the 90's and seeing their excitement along with the city of Chicago during the Bulls title years. This is a sad sad day for the Chicago Bulls family. I'm so happy though that the Bulls were able to honor Johnny Red properly before his death. It's just too bad that Norm's was so sudden and we weren't able to for him. But something will be done by the Bulls organization for both. Both have been nothing short of amazing for the Chicago Bulls. :cry::cry::cry:

Ni55anpat
02-27-2009, 02:01 AM
Rip

GunFactor187
02-27-2009, 02:03 AM
My condolences go out to both of their families, and they will be in my prayers.

superkegger
02-27-2009, 02:10 AM
That's too bad. Good thing the Bulls had that ceremony for Red a week or so ago. I grew up hearing him broadcast Bulls games on WGN. Truly an icon, and a marquee member of the Chicago Bulls family. Sad to see him pass away.

COLH
02-27-2009, 03:52 AM
That is sad to hear. God Bless them, and their families. May they both Rest in Peace...

CubbieNation
02-27-2009, 04:11 AM
RIP Johnny Red and Norm Van Lier

I'll never forget you guys.

EX-TREME
02-27-2009, 06:29 AM
i be praying for their familes. RIP

D Roses Bulls
02-27-2009, 07:28 AM
this is so weird, both good friends of each other and died the same day. RIP to the both of them