PDA

View Full Version : Is Nate Robinson a legitimate scorer?

td0tsfinest
02-27-2009, 12:17 AM
Nate Robinson of late has been lights out on the offensive end of late. In the last 7 games he has scored 30, 33, 32, 26, 18, 41 & 32.

Now it sounds a little far fetched but guys that usually string together numbers like that are named Lebron, Wade, Kobe..

Now I'm not calling Nate a superstar but solely asking the question is Nate a legitimate scorer in this league? Would he be a great addition for any team that's trying to contend? Could he be a key piece ?

extreme k.closs
02-27-2009, 12:19 AM
looks like it

mrblisterdundee
02-27-2009, 12:27 AM
Nate is short, but he's a freak of nature. He is most definitely a legitimate scorer, and would make a good combo guard on a contending team. Let's hope he gets out of New York, and moves to a team that appreciates him.

op12
02-27-2009, 12:29 AM
with the right guard beside him he can be a solid player on a contending team.

Ragun
02-27-2009, 12:31 AM
yes no doubt about it.

GSW fan
02-27-2009, 12:36 AM
yep

VCaintdead17
02-27-2009, 12:39 AM
Yeah. He is like a little spark plug off the bench. Although he needs to open up his game more and become a better shooter

TheBlackHole
02-27-2009, 02:32 AM
Of course he is, just watch the guy play and its pretty obvious, also look at the mans numbers as of late. who voted no?

superkegger
02-27-2009, 02:40 AM
I wouldn't say no, but I also wouldn't necessarily say yes. We've seen what D'Antoni's system can do for some players, and with the limited roster of the Knicks, there is an even bigger opportunity to put up some phenomenal numbers.

Now, I'm not saying Nate isn't good, or that he isn't a scorer. I just think you need to take his numbers with a grain of salt, because not a ton of guys have gone from D'Antoni's system to a more conventional style and had the same success. So, yeah, Nate in the right situations can absolutely fill it up.

But that's not really all that unique of a talent. Scorer's, especially in a system like D'Antoni's, are somewhat a dime a dozen. What happens when Nate isn't in that system? Do his numbers stay at their current level? My guess is no, and then you're going to hear people asking, why did we give this guy so much money, perhaps ala Jamal Crawford.

Giaps
02-27-2009, 03:40 AM
If he were 6'4 I think his game would be similar to Wade and he would be a superstar. Very athletic, great leaping ability, crafty off the dribble and a good mid-range game.

But he's not, he is 5'8. I do think he has the ability to average 20, which is not a bold statement considering he is averaging 17.5 right now.

Giaps
02-27-2009, 03:41 AM
Nate is short, but he's a freak of nature. He is most definitely a legitimate scorer, and would make a good combo guard on a contending team. Let's hope he gets out of New York, and moves to a team that appreciates him.
You don't know what you're talking about.

Ballin_since_4
02-27-2009, 10:04 AM
I love Nate to death. Dude is real nice with his game but he is in a great system. Alot of players do great under D'antoni and not to well on other squads. Nate could be good on say a team like the Kings, where he would get the green light right from the jump. But send him to a good team like the Rockets and his production wouldn't be the same.

LanceUpperCut
02-27-2009, 10:35 AM
I like Nate and he is an unbelieveable talent but he seem's to be a ball hog and is just trying to get his numbers first then a win.

Kakaroach
02-27-2009, 11:02 AM
Nate seems like a scorer, but you always have to wonder about anyone in the D'Antoni system. Just look at Shawn Marion. I dunno how he would be on a team that runs a normal offense.

JJ81
02-27-2009, 11:27 AM
In a 7 seconds or less offensive system, sure.

IndyRealist
02-27-2009, 02:01 PM
Yes he is a legitimate scorer. No he would not be a key piece on a championship contender. I saw Nate go for 41 against the Pacers, but he had to take virtually every shot while he was in to do it. He dominates the ball when he's on the floor, and everyone else on the team stands around and watches. Championship teams have to have everyone involved, and he's not someone who gives up the ball willingly. He is a one-on-one player, not a team player. He is also a severe liability defensively, and championships are won with defense. Out of the contenders this year, only the Lakers are not considered a defensive team, and they still play good defense. For Nate to excel he has to have the ball in his hands the entire time he's in the game. Unless we're now comparing him to Wade, he's just not that guy on a contender.

$KnicksAndKobe$
02-27-2009, 02:07 PM

Knicks don't do a 7 seconds or less offense

Kakaroach
02-27-2009, 02:09 PM
Knicks don't do a 7 seconds or less offense It's pretty close to it, if not actually it...I agree with IndyRealist. He's a guy who needs the ball to score.

superkegger
02-27-2009, 02:12 PM
It's pretty close to it, if not actually it...I agree with IndyRealist. He's a guy who needs the ball to score.

It's kind of hard to score without the ball isn't it? :p

$KnicksAndKobe$
02-27-2009, 02:13 PM
It's pretty close to it, if not actually it...I agree with IndyRealist. He's a guy who needs the ball to score.

noooooo we r not run n gun we are not 7 seconds or w/e phoenix did/does

Of course he needs the ball to score, that's how you get points silly :D
But he has racked up a lot of assists and rebounds lately , not just points. He is running the pick n roll much better lately.

Kakaroach
02-27-2009, 02:13 PM
It's kind of hard to score without the ball isn't it? :p Hmm, does Richard Hamilton or any good shooter ring a bell?:p

29$JerZ
02-27-2009, 02:14 PM

Wrong

Knicks for the first 10 games where Zach and Jamal were apart of the team played 7 seconds or less. We no longer do that.

And of course Nate needs the ball to score, same as LBJ,Wade,etc
that's how you score :p

29$JerZ
02-27-2009, 02:15 PM
Hmm, does Richard Hamilton or any good shooter ring a bell?:p

Yeah, on the bench :p

Giaps
02-27-2009, 02:20 PM
Yes he is a legitimate scorer. No he would not be a key piece on a championship contender. I saw Nate go for 41 against the Pacers, but he had to take virtually every shot while he was in to do it. He dominates the ball when he's on the floor, and everyone else on the team stands around and watches. Championship teams have to have everyone involved, and he's not someone who gives up the ball willingly. He is a one-on-one player, not a team player. He is also a severe liability defensively, and championships are won with defense. Out of the contenders this year, only the Lakers are not considered a defensive team, and they still play good defense. For Nate to excel he has to have the ball in his hands the entire time he's in the game. Unless we're now comparing him to Wade, he's just not that guy on a contender.

He was 11-18 vs the Pacers. That means 41 points on 18 shots which is highly efficient and far from a ball hog. Sounds like sour grapes to me.

NYKnickFanatic
02-27-2009, 02:21 PM
Since after the All-Star break, Top 5 scorers:

1. Kevin Durant
2. Dwayne Wade
3. Nate Robinson
4. Kobe Bryant
5. LeBron James

Kakaroach
02-27-2009, 03:56 PM
Yeah, on the bench :p That has anything to do with it? All of the best shooters in the game can score without the ball: Ray Allen, Richard Hamilton, Peja, to name a few. :p

Giaps
02-27-2009, 04:19 PM
That has anything to do with it? All of the best shooters in the game can score without the ball: Ray Allen, Richard Hamilton, Peja, to name a few. :p
So Kobe, Wade, Lebron, Durant all score with the ball. What does it matter how you do it as long as you can do it?

madiaz3
02-27-2009, 04:55 PM
The Knicks don't run seven seconds or less or anything of the sort, I don't want to hear skepticism about the effects of a dantoni offense

the only thing we do differently from most teams is our defense, people say we play none, but the fact is we don't have many great defensive players, we rotate defenders on every play and risk mismatches

but besides that, nate to marion comparisons are stupid, dantoni offense allowed marion to exploit his strengths and shadowed his weaknesses, now marion has to create on his own and has gone from a 20 ppg scorer to a 13 ppg scorer.

Nate gets his points from his own creation, not as a beneficiary of a system

Giaps
02-27-2009, 04:58 PM
It's also not like Nate hasn't done this before. He's had big games over the last 3 years, he is just doing it more consistently now.

Kakaroach
02-27-2009, 04:59 PM
So Kobe, Wade, Lebron, Durant all score with the ball. What does it matter how you do it as long as you can do it? Okay, okay people need to calm down. I never said the guy couldn't score, I'm just saying that he is not the guy that can put some teams over the top. I said yes he was a legit scorer.

superkegger
02-27-2009, 05:22 PM
The Knicks don't run seven seconds or less or anything of the sort, I don't want to hear skepticism about the effects of a dantoni offense

the only thing we do differently from most teams is our defense, people say we play none, but the fact is we don't have many great defensive players, we rotate defenders on every play and risk mismatches

but besides that, nate to marion comparisons are stupid, dantoni offense allowed marion to exploit his strengths and shadowed his weaknesses, now marion has to create on his own and has gone from a 20 ppg scorer to a 13 ppg scorer.

Nate gets his points from his own creation, not as a beneficiary of a system

I'm not saying that Nate's numbers are soley due to him playing under D'Antoni. What I'm saying is that it has helped. Nate, Harrington, Lee, Chandler and Duhon are all having the best year's of their career. That's in part due to more minutes and a bigger role than they've ever had before, but also due in part to the fact that they play in a favorable offensive scheme.

There is nothing wrong with that though. Steve Nash won 2 MVP's as a result of playing under D'Antoni. He's an offensive mastermind. He's brilliant.

It's not a discredit to Nate that he's done well under D'Antoni's offense. It would be hard to find players a lot of players that are NBA rotation quality players that wouldn't improve offensively under him. D'Antni utilizes Nate well, and allows him to do what he does well, and that is score.

You say Nate is not a beneficiary of a system though. So I want to ask you, are the Knicks a better team because of D'Antoni? Or has their improvement soley linked to the absence of Isaiah Thomas and the moves Donnie Walsh made to change up personnel?

Drtino
02-27-2009, 05:48 PM
It sure has become apparent that he's becoming a great force for his team... he has a lot of charisma and great potential to become another little AI.... besides he has my vote for best 6th player of the year.

Giaps
02-27-2009, 05:53 PM
It's really annoying that there is a astigmatism attached to stats under D'Antoni's system. One of our posters made a point that the Knicks are only averaging about 8-9 more shots a game this year than they did last year.

Drtino
02-27-2009, 05:59 PM
It's really annoying that there is a astigmatism attached to stats under D'Antoni's system. One of our posters made a point that the Knicks are only averaging about 8-9 more shots a game this year than they did last year.

Everytime I see you posting... I get distracted by your signature image:D

chicagowhitesox
02-27-2009, 06:00 PM
obviously. just look at those numbers you showed.

JJ81
02-27-2009, 06:02 PM
Knicks don't do a 7 seconds or less offense

Close to it, it's still D'Antoni who's running the show which means 100% effort on offense and little on defense.

JJ81
02-27-2009, 06:02 PM
Since after the All-Star break, Top 5 scorers:

1. Kevin Durant
2. Dwayne Wade
3. Nate Robinson
4. Kobe Bryant
5. LeBron James

Over 5 games? Congrats...

Drtino
02-27-2009, 06:04 PM
obviously. just look at those numbers you showed.

8 to 9 shots more a year is good...

D'antoni has a great system and he has changed this franchise a bit better than past coaches could...

NYKnickFanatic
02-27-2009, 06:05 PM

You are just a hater.

Missing56&33
02-27-2009, 06:06 PM
Nate Robinson of late has been lights out on the offensive end of late. In the last 7 games he has scored 30, 33, 32, 26, 18, 41 & 32.

Now it sounds a little far fetched but guys that usually string together numbers like that are named Lebron, Wade, Kobe..

Now I'm not calling Nate a superstar but solely asking the question is Nate a legitimate scorer in this league? Would he be a great addition for any team that's trying to contend? Could he be a key piece ?

have you seen him play? If you have i dont understand your point. If you haven't seen him play yet, hes the real deal. Hes a great scorer but can get out of control at times but hes gotten a lot better this year

superkegger
02-27-2009, 06:07 PM
8 to 9 shots more a year is good...

D'antoni has a great system and he has changed this franchise a bit better than past coaches could...

But how can it be D'Antoni that has made them better if his coaching and style has nothing to do with the best career years from 5 of his top 7 players...hmmmm

AirJordanXVIII
02-27-2009, 06:12 PM

I have a feeling the chick in the image looks like ****.

Giaps
02-27-2009, 06:49 PM
Spoken like a true hater.

Giaps
02-27-2009, 06:50 PM
It is my master plan to distract posters with her *** as I win arguments. :D

NHock1120
02-27-2009, 06:59 PM

Every single New Yorker that knows something about basketball LOVES Nate Robinson. Him and David Lee ARE the New York Knicks

CHief_0_o_Wahoo
02-27-2009, 07:23 PM
I say he is.

lets_go_yankees
02-27-2009, 07:38 PM
he's awesome

Kaptain Kanada
02-27-2009, 07:54 PM
I ****ing hate Nate

Drtino
02-27-2009, 08:02 PM
The balance is leaning on Nate's side...

Nate and Harris have become star figures on their team...

I wonder why was it necessary to trade for hughes...Does he have an expiring contract?..
Got to check that out.

bogmon
02-27-2009, 08:05 PM
Nate has that epic sort of Napolean complex....like Steve Smith of the Panthers.....smaller dudes that choose to dominate at times just out of sheer will and determination....
Love that s**t!

Hustla23
02-27-2009, 08:06 PM
The balance is leaning on Nate's side...

Nate and Harris have become star figures on their team...

I wonder why was it necessary to trade for hughes...Does he have an expiring contract?..
Got to check that out.

Not really. We gave up expirings for him.

I think Hughes is trash. I'd rather have Tim Thomas back than him.

Sean McG
02-27-2009, 08:06 PM
I think he has turned into one. He used to be a some 5'9 cheerleader on the bench who could dunk, now he's a legitimate pg/sg.

Kenny
02-27-2009, 08:10 PM
Yeah. He is like a little spark plug off the bench. Although he needs to open up his game more and become a better shooter

HUH? he is a very good shooter

ReymanEjazzfan
02-27-2009, 08:22 PM
he can score! and he is starting to do it consistantly. does he make his team better by only scoring though? he is an alright passer and can sometimes make his teammates better, but i think if he worked and focused on that stuff and became more of a pg i think they would win more.

Mr_Peabody
02-27-2009, 09:38 PM
hes not just a legitimate scorer, hes a legitimate Yao Ming blocker!!!

dre1990
02-27-2009, 09:47 PM

You know the Knicks dont do a PHX run n gun. Right?

td0tsfinest
02-28-2009, 11:02 AM
HUH? he is a very good shooter

I agree, his shooting has become a lot better. He's able to knock down three's when he's open.

But you have to be concerned with having a guy like Nate Robinson on a contending team. Why? Nate, due to his skill set is obviously more suited to play the SG but his size limits him to play the PG. If he expects to be a starter in this league; he either has to upgrade his PG skills or realize the team will have one of the smallest back courts in the league (Average Point Guard size being 6'2). You have to take into consideration he's a liability on defense. He's a tremendous scorer, no doubt but I think if he doesn't resign with the knicks, he's most likely going to bottom-feeder team.

Kakaroach
02-28-2009, 11:57 AM
^^^Ya I agree. Maybe a Memphis or a Kings team, if Sac-town has the money, to make a run at him this off-season.

madiaz3
02-28-2009, 12:03 PM
Close to it, it's still D'Antoni who's running the show which means 100% effort on offense and little on defense.

not playing defense vs. not having good defensive players

very different thing.......

JJ81
02-28-2009, 12:06 PM
He's come back down to earth

madiaz3
02-28-2009, 09:24 PM
He's come back down to earth

Not quite.

17 points in 11 minutes so far with 4:30 left to play in the second quarter against Miami.

albertc86
02-28-2009, 09:27 PM
He's definitely better than Spud Webb.

what54!?
02-28-2009, 09:29 PM
he killing the heat right now. I'd say he is

Becks2307
02-28-2009, 09:35 PM
22pts at halftime...i'd say so

andybauer91
02-28-2009, 09:49 PM
22pts at halftime...i'd say so

24 i think

JermanJaysFan
02-28-2009, 09:52 PM
Yeah...24 on 9/12 (4 of 6 from downtown) with 4 boards and 4 assists to boot...

Becks2307
02-28-2009, 09:58 PM
24 i think

It was 22 when i wrote it...didnt expect him to then cross over d wade and drill the jumper

Jaji
02-28-2009, 10:09 PM

Right now, yes. But long term? Probably not. I remember everyone being on Earl Boykins' nuts for a quick second too.

D-Leethal
02-28-2009, 10:27 PM

lol, Nate has been quoted saying if it were up to him he'd be a Knick for life, I don't think he feels too unappreciated :)

$KnicksAndKobe$
02-28-2009, 10:34 PM
Right now, yes. But long term? Probably not. I remember everyone being on Earl Boykins' nuts for a quick second too.

I don't

lorenz00
02-28-2009, 10:48 PM
nope he is just in the system called run and gun

JayW_1023
03-02-2009, 02:41 PM
From CNNsi.com

A word of advice to Nate Robinson: Tone it down before someone (namely, you) gets hurt. The flamboyant Robinson is an electrifying scorer (27.4 points in seven games since the All-Star break) and a crowd pleaser, but many NBA insiders believe his act -- which includes high-fiving fans and flexing after a strong move to the basket -- is likely to get him knocked down one of these days.

Well said. :clap:

madiaz3
03-02-2009, 02:46 PM

No, he isn't. Only the Suns and Golden State play that style.

NYKnickFanatic
03-02-2009, 02:47 PM

People dont get it, Knicks DO NOT play that...

Becks2307
03-02-2009, 02:55 PM
idk why people keep on saying that it annoys me.. we DONT play that style

kntresistheheat
03-02-2009, 04:00 PM
A word of advice to Nate Robinson: Tone it down before someone (namely, you) gets hurt. The flamboyant Robinson is an electrifying scorer (27.4 points in seven games since the All-Star break) and a crowd pleaser, but many NBA insiders believe his act -- which includes high-fiving fans and flexing after a strong move to the basket -- is likely to get him knocked down one of these days.
Well said.

Yeah, Like Jermaine Oneal was going to do the other night:laugh:

HOZ THE KNICK
03-02-2009, 04:00 PM
6th man of the yr.

Hustla23
03-02-2009, 04:02 PM
Well said.

lol yeah right. It would take Nate 5 seconds to put JO on his ***.

GoatMilk
03-02-2009, 04:03 PM
According to a source, the Kings, Lakers and Oklahoma City made plays for Robinson at the trade deadline.
:cry:

ggg
03-03-2009, 02:23 PM
Ofcourse he's legit. Always improving his game but you gotta give credit to mikes offense aswell.

NYKnickFanatic
03-03-2009, 02:46 PM
Well said.

Yeah right. Nate would have dropped JO.

Spiderfox
03-03-2009, 03:00 PM
I like Nate and he is an unbelieveable talent but he seem's to be a ball hog and is just trying to get his numbers first then a win.

You couldn't be further from the truth.. Nate is beloved by NY Fans and Teammates because his positive energy and desire to win is strong.. This little GIANT is demonstrating extraordinary skills in playing the way he has most recently.. Think about the last time you played against opponents who averaged a foot taller than you and did it successfully?.. At 5'8.. Nate is a heroe to the average man and many of us live vicareously through this little man with the GIANT heart of a Champion.. (amazingly a slam dunk champion)

JayW_1023
03-03-2009, 04:36 PM
I don't like his showboating but as an athlete he is impressive and ever improving as a basketball player.

ntat
03-03-2009, 05:06 PM
I wouldn't say no, but I also wouldn't necessarily say yes. We've seen what D'Antoni's system can do for some players, and with the limited roster of the Knicks, there is an even bigger opportunity to put up some phenomenal numbers.

Now, I'm not saying Nate isn't good, or that he isn't a scorer. I just think you need to take his numbers with a grain of salt, because not a ton of guys have gone from D'Antoni's system to a more conventional style and had the same success. So, yeah, Nate in the right situations can absolutely fill it up.

But that's not really all that unique of a talent. Scorer's, especially in a system like D'Antoni's, are somewhat a dime a dozen. What happens when Nate isn't in that system? Do his numbers stay at their current level? My guess is no, and then you're going to hear people asking, why did we give this guy so much money, perhaps ala Jamal Crawford.

bold statement. I love when people chime in to say they dont know, like we need to hear that. lol

ntat
03-03-2009, 05:07 PM
I don't like his showboating but as an athlete he is impressive and ever improving as a basketball player.
its like he is trying desperately to get attention. Its annoying. while he an very incomplete player, he can score. he has that electric style about him too.

JayW_1023
03-04-2009, 12:43 PM
its like he is trying desperately to get attention. Its annoying. while he an very incomplete player, he can score. he has that electric style about him too.

They tend to overrate the more spectacular players. Meanwhile Ramon Sessions is playing way better basketball in Milwaukee and no one knows or cares because he doesn't make sportscenter as regularly as Nate-Rob.

Big market, big knack for highlight reels and a big mouth. Nate Robinson is a very dynamic player...and his rebounding for his size is impressive too. If he would play a little more controlled I'd be a bigger fan though.