PDA

View Full Version : Mt. Rushmore of the NBA

Wilson
02-26-2009, 05:27 PM
I'm sure that plenty of people have seen these on ESPN and Sportscenter (and in Bill Simmons' columns before that), but I've not seen one posted here so I thought I might as well start a thread on it. There's one in the Laker forum for the Lakers and it's provoked some interesting discussion...

So basically, choose which four players you would put on your Mt. Rushmore of the NBA, and explain why you chose them.

My first picks came to me straight away: Magic Johnson, Larry Bird and Michael Jordan. I think Magic and Larry really changed the game in the 80s and re-energized the league. Michael Jordan is the main guy behind the NBAs success in the 90s, and also changed the game.

The fourth pick is really tough. I thought about George Mikan because he was the first great big man in a league dominated by bigs. Wilt Chamberlain, the guy so dominating that they had to change the rules just to slow him down. Bill Russell for his legendary defense and teamwork. Oscar Robertson for the triple doubles. I can't decide :shrug:

Who are your four?

I was going to post a poll, but there's just too many options to be able to make a good one...

JayW_1023
02-26-2009, 05:29 PM
The fourth pick should be easy...Bill Russell is a lock.

IRUAM #21
02-26-2009, 05:34 PM
Mike James, Kwame Brown, Mark Blount, Michael Olowakandi.

Lakersfan2483
02-26-2009, 05:35 PM
Mt Rushmore of the NBA

Michael Jordan, Magic Johnson, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Larry Bird

Vidball
02-26-2009, 05:39 PM
Magic, Jordan, Russell, Kareem

bleedprple&gold
02-26-2009, 05:40 PM
Jordan, Magic, Chamberlain, Russell

GrkGawdofWalkz
02-26-2009, 05:45 PM
Magic, Jordan, Bird, Chamberlain, Russell

Second Tier

Jerry West, Oscar Robertson, Karl Malone, Tim Duncan, Kareem

SteveNash
02-26-2009, 05:46 PM
Mikan, Russell, Wilt, Jordan.

DreamShaker
02-26-2009, 05:47 PM
Jordan/Magic/Bird/Bill Russell

MagicBucsSox
02-26-2009, 05:53 PM
mike/magic/shaq/kobe
top 4 players ever

MagicBucsSox
02-26-2009, 05:54 PM
like i hope people are over 60 talking about mikan,russell,wilt and this nonsense

DrDEADalready
02-26-2009, 05:54 PM
Jordan/Magic/Bird/Bill Russell

x2

mjt20mik
02-26-2009, 05:56 PM
Magic and Jordan are locks.. the rest are all very close..

For me..

Magic Jordan Bird Chamberlain

JordansBulls
I don't really think you can use 4 here.

I think Jordan and Russell are locks, but any of the other immortal 4 can be in the group with Wilt, Kareem, Magic and Bird. It's just a matter of which of those 4 do you leave off? If you have Magic then you gotta have Bird.

SteveNash
like i hope people are over 60 talking about mikan,russell,wilt and this nonsense

Because history is nonsense?

Should we be updating Rushmore right now?

Reagan, Clinton, George W Bush, Obama sound good?

Wilson
02-26-2009, 05:57 PM

The history of the league isn't nonsense...

JordansBulls
02-26-2009, 06:02 PM
Magic, Jordan, Bird, Chamberlain, Russell

Second Tier

Jerry West, Oscar Robertson, Karl Malone, Tim Duncan, Kareem

???

:confused:

DrDEADalready
02-26-2009, 06:17 PM
???

:confused:

He's considered the best PF to everplay the game. 2nd all time scoring leader. What's confusing?

blackandgold9
02-26-2009, 06:29 PM
Larry Bird, John Stockton, Bill Walton, Mark Price

SJSHARKIES
02-26-2009, 06:40 PM
Jordan, Kareem, Russell, Chamberlain

SJSHARKIES
02-26-2009, 06:47 PM
Larry Bird, John Stockton, Bill Walton, Mark Price

Why are they all white?

SJSHARKIES
02-26-2009, 06:49 PM
On second thought I'm going to put Bird in there, so there is a little diversity.

Hellcrooner
02-26-2009, 06:51 PM
I would make a Larger Wall.

One per decade.

Mikan 50s

Wilt 60s

Kareem 70s

Magic 80s

Jordan 90s

Shaq 00s.

If it has to be four then

1 Mikan, who was the raising stone on the league.

2 Kareem who helped the league to not dispaer on the dark 70s

3 Magic who put it in another level against the celts.

4 Jordan, the international exporter.

Wilson
02-26-2009, 06:56 PM
I would make a Larger Wall.

One per decade.

Mikan 50s

Wilt 60s

Kareem 70s

Magic 80s

Jordan 90s

Shaq 00s.

If it has to be four then

1 Mikan, who was the raising stone on the league.

2 Kareem who helped the league to not dispaer on the dark 70s

3 Magic who put it in another level against the celts.

4 Jordan, the international exporter.

If it was one per decade, I'd replace Shaq with Duncan for this decade.

mser58
02-26-2009, 06:57 PM
Wilt, MJ, Bill Russel, Larry Bird

Hellcrooner
02-26-2009, 07:03 PM
mmmm

How about an alternative Idea.

David Stern , League Saviour.

Red Auerbach, Lord of the Rings.

Dratzen Petrovic, the frontier Breaker.

Chick Hearn, the voice of the game.

mambastatus
02-26-2009, 07:04 PM
there can only be room for one white guy on an nba mt rushmore whether it be bird or west or mikan. you only get one so know that or else its not legit

Wilson
02-26-2009, 07:05 PM
mmmm

How about an alternative Idea.

David Stern , League Saviour.

Red Auerbach, Lord of the Rings.

Dratzen Petrovic, the frontier Breaker.

Chick Hearn, the voice of the game.

Hearn was the voice of the Lakers. The voice of the NBA would probably be Marv Albert or someone...

Lakersfan2483
02-26-2009, 07:05 PM
How can anyone leave Kareem off of the top of the list?? The man won 6 MVPS, 3 Finals MVPs, 6 NBA titles, he's the all time leader in career pts., one of the top leaders in rebounds, his resume speaks for itself. He was the best center of all time. Name someone with a more complete resume?

Wilson
02-26-2009, 07:06 PM
there can only be room for one white guy on an nba mt rushmore whether it be bird or west or mikan. you only get one so know that or else its not legit

What? I don't think there would be anything wrong with someone putting up Mikan, West and Stockton :shrug:

Wilson
02-26-2009, 07:07 PM
How can anyone leave Kareem off of the top of the list?? The man won 6 MVPS, 3 Finals MVPs, 6 NBA titles, he's the all time leader in career pts., one of the top leaders in rebounds, his resume speaks for itself. He was the best center of all time. Name someone with a more complete resume?

Kareem would be a fine choice, I just forgot to put him on my list...:p

mambastatus
02-26-2009, 07:10 PM
What? I don't think there would be anything wrong with someone putting up Mikan, West and Stockton :shrug:

no way. more than one white guy makes it garbage and kareem or russell is better than mikan and jordan has to be on there and i'll take magic over stockton so all you get is west. sorry guy

LA412
02-26-2009, 07:13 PM
Jordan, Magic, Chamberlain, Russell

This

ARMIN12NBA
Jordan, Magic, Kareem, Wilt.

LA412
Honorable Mention Jerry West

GSW fan
02-26-2009, 07:14 PM
too many players to choose from

power forwards/ centers: Kareem, Russel, Wilt, Thurmond

SF/gaurds: Jordan, Magic, Bird, Rick Barry?

mcyz
02-26-2009, 07:15 PM
i'm sure that plenty of people have seen these on espn and sportscenter (and in bill simmons' columns before that), but i've not seen one posted here so i thought i might as well start a thread on it. There's one in the laker forum for the lakers and it's provoked some interesting discussion...

So basically, choose which four players you would put on your mt. Rushmore of the nba, and explain why you chose them.

My first picks came to me straight away: Magic johnson, larry bird and michael jordan. I think magic and larry really changed the game in the 80s and re-energized the league. Michael jordan is the main guy behind the nbas success in the 90s, and also changed the game.

The fourth pick is really tough. I thought about george mikan because he was the first great big man in a league dominated by bigs. Wilt chamberlain, the guy so dominating that they had to change the rules just to slow him down. Bill russell for his legendary defense and teamwork. Oscar robertson for the triple doubles. I can't decide :shrug:

Who are your four?

I was going to post a poll, but there's just too many options to be able to make a good one...

red/russel/bird/pierce

KidA1977
02-26-2009, 07:16 PM

Kareem was a great player, but no offense, he isn't on the same tier as Russell. Pro sports is about winning, and no one - not even Jordan - won more than Russell.

You want a better resume? 11 World Championships in 13 tries, 5 regular season MVP awards, 12 all star appearances, all-time playoff points leader and rebounds leader.

And they didn't give a finals MVP award under 1969, so he never got one, but they just named it after him. Russell is the George Washington of the NBA Mt. Rushmore. It isn't even close.

mambastatus
02-26-2009, 07:17 PM
red/russel/bird/pierce

lol a laker fan in the forum

Wilson
02-26-2009, 07:19 PM
no way. more than one white guy makes it garbage and kareem or russell is better than mikan and jordan has to be on there and i'll take magic over stockton so all you get is west. sorry guy

Well if you take historical importance into account, you can definately make a case for Mikan being there.

You can make a case for him not being there too, but it has to be deeper than 'You can't have more than one white guy'...

ShaunRiching9
02-26-2009, 07:21 PM
Jordan, Wilt, Magic, Kareem

mambastatus
02-26-2009, 07:24 PM
Well if you take historical importance into account, you can definately make a case for Mikan being there.

You can make a case for him not being there too, but it has to be deeper than 'You can't have more than one white guy'...

okay russell had 11 championships so hes a better choice for a big guy. Kareem had 6 to mikans 7 and was the all-time leading scorer against better competition. Wilt was just better. thats 3 better big guys. how many big guys do you wanna put up there

Wilson
02-26-2009, 07:30 PM
okay russell had 11 championships so hes a better choice for a big guy. Kareem had 6 to mikans 7 and was the all-time leading scorer against better competition. Wilt was just better. thats 3 better big guys. how many big guys do you wanna put up there

That's a much better argument :clap:

My counter would be that Mikan is arguably the most important to the game, even if he wasn't its greatest performer.

Basketball was not a big sport in its early days, and it was people wanting to see this big dominating force in Mikan which helped the sport and the league survive financially in its early days.

He was the first, and was the blueprint for guys like Wilt, Russell and Kareem. He also invented the hook shot, so he obviously played a role in Kareem's success...

mambastatus
02-26-2009, 07:35 PM
i see what your saying i just dont think he should be on a mt rushmore of the nba which i see as the 4 best ever. and like i said before i think a good rushmore should have only 1 white guy max which should be bird or west if your gonna put one up there but thats just me

Hellcrooner
02-26-2009, 07:35 PM
Rings are overrated.

Barkley or Horry?

JordansBulls
02-26-2009, 07:37 PM

2 Finals MVP's.

mambastatus
02-26-2009, 07:38 PM
yeah but russell was the star of those teams. horry was just a real good role player for his teams rings

Wilson
02-26-2009, 07:42 PM
i see what your saying i just dont think he should be on a mt rushmore of the nba which i see as the 4 best ever. and like i said before i think a good rushmore should have only 1 white guy max which should be bird or west if your gonna put one up there but thats just me

Yeah. I wouldn't say that Mikan is one of the four best ever, but I was judging mine off of importance as well as skill. I would say that Mikan is one of the most important players ever, and importance isn't really judged on skill.

Rings are overrated.

Barkley or Horry?

I think that saying that takes it out of context. It's obvious that Horry wasn't the main force helping the team win, he was just a good role player. A guy like Kareem, for instance, didn't win as many rings, but he was one of the main forces on the team, rather than a complementary player.

Role players are of course very important to championship teams, but I think using the Horry argument when comparing players' accomplishments is taking the argument out of context.

yeah but russell was the star of those teams. horry was just a real good role player for his teams rings

Exactly...

Ollie Tabooger
02-26-2009, 08:50 PM
eddie house, aaron brooks, ben gordon, jose calderon

blackandgold9
02-26-2009, 09:02 PM
"there can only be room for one white guy on an nba mt rushmore whether it be bird or west or mikan. you only get one so know that or else its not legit"

that's not racist at all lol

dre1990
02-26-2009, 09:02 PM
Jordan/Wilt/Russell/Magic

not neccesarilly the Top 4 all time IMO ( Jordan, Wilt, Magic, Big O ) but the most recognizable players of all time

mambastatus
02-26-2009, 09:16 PM
i dont really give a s**t how that sounded. i am white. white guys are garbage in the nba. deal with it

mambastatus
02-26-2009, 09:21 PM
maybe if this was the mt rushmore of nfl kickers or punters but its not

GodsSon
02-26-2009, 09:34 PM
Mt Rushmore of the NBA

Michael Jordan, Magic Johnson, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Larry Bird

i will agree

Lakersfan2483
02-26-2009, 09:37 PM
Kareem was a great player, but no offense, he isn't on the same tier as Russell. Pro sports is about winning, and no one - not even Jordan - won more than Russell.

You want a better resume? 11 World Championships in 13 tries, 5 regular season MVP awards, 12 all star appearances, all-time playoff points leader and rebounds leader.

And they didn't give a finals MVP award under 1969, so he never got one, but they just named it after him. Russell is the George Washington of the NBA Mt. Rushmore. It isn't even close.

Bill Russell was a fantastic player, but you do know that the competition has gotten a lot better, the amount of teams have increased significantly and the amount of rounds in the playoffs have also increased. Russell went to the finals after only 2 rounds if I am not mistaken? The league is much different nowadays or even in the 70's and 80's. Russell would not win 11 titles in this era. He played about 8 teams back in those days, it's much different when comparing him with other guys like Jordan or Magic. (I am referring to title runs)

DreamShaker
02-26-2009, 09:38 PM
too many players to choose from

power forwards/ centers: Kareem, Russel, Wilt, Thurmond

SF/gaurds: Jordan, Magic, Bird, Rick Barry?

I would take Kobe, Isaiah, Big O, and Dr. J over Barry.

Hellcrooner
02-26-2009, 09:41 PM
George Mikan,Pete Maravich ,Jerry West, Larry Bird.

You CAN do an all white mount and make a case for it, if you like.

MagicBucsSox
02-26-2009, 09:53 PM
Because history is nonsense?

Should we be updating Rushmore right now?

Reagan, Clinton, George W Bush, Obama sound good?

no reagan no bush
clinton,obama,jfk and mlk

Hellcrooner
02-26-2009, 10:02 PM
^i think he tried to talk about the last 4....
but seems missed either Jr or Daddy Bush...

Wilson
02-26-2009, 10:03 PM
Bill Russell was a fantastic player, but you do know that the competition has gotten a lot better, the amount of teams have increased significantly and the amount of rounds in the playoffs have also increased. Russell went to the finals after only 2 rounds if I am not mistaken? The league is much different nowadays or even in the 70's and 80's. Russell would not win 11 titles in this era. He played about 8 teams back in those days, it's much different when comparing him with other guys like Jordan or Magic. (I am referring to title runs)

I don't like using the argument that different eras are tougher. The fact is that Russell dominated his era, and you can't forget that that Celtic team was average, then became a dynasty with Russell.

One thing I always consider as well, is that guys like Russell, no matter what era they played in, were good enough to become blueprints for future generations. Just imagine these guys had been able to grow up studying that blueprint, and then expand on it even more...

no reagan no bush
clinton,obama,jfk and mlk

I'm no expert on American politics (or any politics, for that matter), but I would say that Obama has to be in office for at least a full term before you can call him one of the best ever...