PDA

View Full Version : Can someone explain how you could get paid for a whole season if you don't even play

JordansBulls
02-25-2009, 06:19 PM
Can someone explain how you could get paid for a whole season if you don't even play 1 game?

I understand players are under contract, but if someone at a company is a contractor and they don't go to work they won't get anything either.

Why I bring this up is because this is what it has been mentioned regarding Arenas this year.

Source: Fannation (http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_rumors/view/92453-arenas-closer-to-return)

Though he says he does not know whether he will return to game action this season, three-time all-star guard Gilbert Arenas acknowledged yesterday that he has been practicing at full speed with his Wizards teammates since Feb. 16 and that his left knee, which has undergone three surgical procedures since April 2007, is nearly at full strength. "I'm out there feeling like the old Gilbert Arenas again," Arenas said, shortly after Washington practiced at Verizon Center. "I'm running, jumping, dunking, feeling good. No pain, no swelling. My balance is back, my speed is back. The only thing I have to get used to again is being around other bodies out there on the court. I'm working on getting my timing back. The only thing I'm not doing is playing in games."

You mean to tell me that someone can get 18.5 million in a season and don't even play a game?

Seriously the NBA needs to do like the NFL. If you don't play you don't get paid.

Leafsleeve
02-25-2009, 06:42 PM
I agree, and the league owners have the nerve to complain about the economy right now but they pay players not to play. I just realized Eric Snow is under contract with Clevland and that dude is a commentator on NBA TV

Yogi
02-25-2009, 06:54 PM
It's kinda sad that in today's economy, people are working their ***** off and have nothing to show for it, and some people like Stephon Marbury aren't doing **** and are making millions. I don't have as much of a problem with someone like Gilbert Arenas, because it's not all his fault he got hurt, and he stills gets up and works everyday. There's a difference in my opinion.

JaysFan87
02-25-2009, 06:57 PM
Can someone explain how you could get paid for a whole season if you don't even play 1 game?

I understand players are under contract, but if someone at a company is a contractor and they don't go to work they won't get anything either.

Why I bring this up is because this is what it has been mentioned regarding Arenas this year.

Source: Fannation (http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_rumors/view/92453-arenas-closer-to-return)

You mean to tell me that someone can get 18.5 million in a season and don't even play a game?

Seriously the NBA needs to do like the NFL. If you don't play you don't get paid.

He is injured, so he cant play. Is it his fault he cant play? ANd in the NFl if a player is injured he still gets paid, regardless.

MassoDio
02-25-2009, 06:58 PM
It's kinda sad that in today's economy, people are working their ***** off and have nothing to show for it, and some people like Stephon Marbury aren't doing **** and are making millions. I don't have as much of a problem with someone like Gilbert Arenas, because it's not all his fault he got hurt, and he stills gets up and works everyday. There's a difference in my opinion.

You are right...there is a difference. Marbury was told to stay home by his employer. Arenas is choosing not to play even though he says that he feels like the old Gilbert.

Both situation are crap. These guys should not be getting guaranteed contracts.

JaysFan87
02-25-2009, 07:01 PM
You are right...there is a difference. Marbury was told to stay home by his employer. Arenas is choosing not to play even though he says that he feels like the old Gilbert.

Both situation are crap. These guys should not be getting guaranteed contracts.

Arenas says he feels like the old gilbert but the medical staff is saying no. Personally i hold the trainers in a better light when talking about injured players instead of the player himself.

MassoDio
02-25-2009, 07:04 PM
Arenas says he feels like the old gilbert but the medical staff is saying no. Personally i hold the trainers in a better light when talking about injured players instead of the player himself.

Arenas has already been cleared by team doctors. It is up to him whether he plays or not.

Rique
02-25-2009, 07:07 PM
He is injured, so he cant play. Is it his fault he cant play? ANd in the NFl if a player is injured he still gets paid, regardless.

in the NFL they can cut u off the team

Yogi
02-25-2009, 07:07 PM
Arenas has already been cleared by team doctors. It is up to him whether he plays or not.
Where did you hear that? I heard on Sunday that he hadn't been cleared yet.

MassoDio
02-25-2009, 07:12 PM
Where did you hear that? I heard on Sunday that he hadn't been cleared yet.

It is on the Wizards website.

And I don't blame Gilbert for not wanting to play. He is coming off back to back injuries where he was brought back too soon. He is being cautious.
All I am saying is that Marbury's situation is that he was told to go home. He has been practicing away from the team as much if not more than Gilbert. So to say that Marbury getting paid for not playing is any worse than Gilbert getting paid, is a little biased and short sighted.

Neither of them should be making any money this year. They should be able to keep their team insurance, but not their paycheck.

Yogi
02-25-2009, 07:13 PM
I have a sneaky feeling Gilbert is gonna shock everyone and randomly play without making an announcement. He sorta did that last year.

JaysFan87
02-25-2009, 07:18 PM
in the NFL they can cut u off the team

BUt they also have to pay them. Even if they do cut them

JaysFan87
02-25-2009, 07:26 PM

the only doctors clearance he has gotten was he can practice....

the last report from doctors came in January

After watching Gilbert Arenas play 2-on-2 recently, Wizards coach Ed Tapscott was confident that his star point guard will be able to play this season. There is still no timetable for his return.
"He can shoot and cut, so that obviously shows signs of progress," Tapscott said. Antawn Jamison feels that Arenas will be back sooner rather than later, but the medical staff is being "conservative" and we still don't expect to see him before April.
Source: ESPN.com

that doesnt sound like he is cleared to play

more news....according to the washington post

Washington Post Staff Writer
Wednesday, February 18, 2009; Page E04

While Gilbert Arenas has not yet been cleared to practice or play in games, he is making steady progress, according to Wizards interim coach Ed Tapscott.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/02/17/AR2009021703113.html

Nets fan 93
02-25-2009, 07:32 PM
Its called being under contract...
:pity:

JaysFan87
02-25-2009, 07:35 PM
It is on the Wizards website.

And I don't blame Gilbert for not wanting to play. He is coming off back to back injuries where he was brought back too soon. He is being cautious.
All I am saying is that Marbury's situation is that he was told to go home. He has been practicing away from the team as much if not more than Gilbert. So to say that Marbury getting paid for not playing is any worse than Gilbert getting paid, is a little biased and short sighted.

Neither of them should be making any money this year. They should be able to keep their team insurance, but not their paycheck.

where on the website does it say he can play

from an article today

But Grunfeld said the team is not encouraging Arenas to come back before he is ready. "If he's healthy -- not if, when he's 100 percent healthy, he'll be back. It's going to be a decision from our medical staff and depending on how Gilbert feels. When the medical staff gives the clearance, he'll be back. He's not going to be rushed. We're hopeful that it's only a matter of time."

i dont see cleared to play anywhere

jetsfan28
02-25-2009, 07:36 PM
It's pretty simple, because NBA contracts are guaranteed

SJSHARKIES
02-25-2009, 07:40 PM
It is pretty sad, Marbury just sitting on the bench and getting his money. Something has to change.

drew_ellis_23
02-25-2009, 07:42 PM
He is under contract and is hurt. I read the title of this thread and thought it would be someone bi**ing about Marbury. Arenas is hurt, and will play as soon as they allow him too, which may be next season, cause why risk losing him again when they suck this year. Let him get his strength and be ready for next season.

fairandbalanced
02-25-2009, 07:44 PM
I wish I can explain, but i'll pass.

LAcowBOMBER
02-25-2009, 07:48 PM
It's pretty much like workers compensation. If you get hurt on the job you still receive a check. If an injury happens in a pick-up game or in some off the court thing that is forbidden in the contract they don't get paid. It's pretty simple

Mr_Peabody
02-25-2009, 07:48 PM
The same way an employer would still have to pay his employee if he gets hurt on the job, is the same way, the NBA has to do it.

Chronz
02-25-2009, 09:01 PM
You get paid because management makes the investment in not only your ability to perform but your market value and overall worth to the team. It doesnt matter if he doesnt play, the fact that hes still part of the Wizards generates some kind of revenue for you.

The NFL is ridiculous, imagine players holding out left and right, having to stop playing just to get your market value is a disgrace. Then if you get hurt they can cut you and you lose out on millions just because you went down playing for them.

JaysFan87
02-25-2009, 09:04 PM
It's pretty simple, because NBA contracts are guaranteed

maybe the island is actually guam......lol

JaysFan87
02-25-2009, 09:05 PM
You get paid because management makes the investment in not only your ability to perform but your market value and overall worth to the team. It doesnt matter if he doesnt play, the fact that hes still part of the Wizards generates some kind of revenue for you.

The NFL is ridiculous, imagine players holding out left and right, having to stop playing just to get your market value is a disgrace. Then if you get hurt they can cut you and you lose out on millions just because you went down playing for them.

u still get paid if u get injured....u might get cut but u still get paid..

Chronz
02-25-2009, 09:19 PM
u still get paid if u get injured....u might get cut but u still get paid..

talkin bout the nfl right? you lose out on millions, you only get the guaranteed money

Cracka2HI!
02-25-2009, 09:22 PM
In Gilberts case I think the team wants him to sit out so they can get a better draft pick.

IndyRealist
02-25-2009, 09:26 PM
The NBA has fully garuanteed contracts as the norm. No other pro sport does. It is not the fault of the teams, I'm sure if they -could- cut someone like Stephon Marbury, they would. It is in fact the fault of the Player's Union, who negotiated it into the Collective Bargaining Agreement. It heavily favors the player, and seriously hampers the team.

Chronz
02-25-2009, 09:34 PM
The NBA has fully garuanteed contracts as the norm. No other pro sport does. It is not the fault of the teams, I'm sure if they -could- cut someone like Stephon Marbury, they would. It is in fact the fault of the Player's Union, who negotiated it into the Collective Bargaining Agreement. It heavily favors the player, and seriously hampers the team.
Its not a teams fault that they sign and trade for these contracts?

IndyRealist
02-25-2009, 09:47 PM
Its not a teams fault that they sign and trade for these contracts?

Almost all contracts are garuanteed, I really don't think teams have much of a choice these days. In future seasons you'll be seeing a lot more of "4 years, only 2 garuanteed" and "3 years plus a 4th partially garuanteed"

handbanana55
02-25-2009, 10:10 PM

agreed:clap:

mrblisterdundee
02-25-2009, 11:07 PM
If a player is under contract, they will get paid unless they are bought out. New York doesn't want to get sued.

JaysFan87
02-25-2009, 11:14 PM

THE nhl, nba and mlb have all their contracts guaranteed.

bal_ravens
02-25-2009, 11:19 PM
In Gilberts case I think the team wants him to sit out so they can get a better draft pick.

Chances are the team is gonna trade the pick anyway. :P

But I dont think it is fair for Gilbert, because he had a freak accident and tried to rush back too quickly. Just like when people say he is injury proned or a bust, its like jeez, give him time to get back. He played injured in the playoffs against the Cavs, and he still did a pretty solid job. Not all-star caliber at the time, but he did good.

Jaji
02-26-2009, 12:01 AM
NBA contracts are guaranteed. The NFL sucks because you sign a 7 year deal with most of the $ at the end of the contract. Then they cut you before they have to pay you.

I like the NBA. A contract is a contract. If you get hurt at your job, don't you still get paid? It's called worker's compensation. Marbury deserves his check too. If the team decides not to use him then that's there decision, but he's still under contract. Being injured is not a breach of contract. The only way a player should not get paid is if he refuses to play.

lorenz00
02-26-2009, 12:50 AM
arenas just writing blogs so he gets paid

Chronz
02-26-2009, 08:14 AM
Almost all contracts are garuanteed, I really don't think teams have much of a choice these days. In future seasons you'll be seeing a lot more of "4 years, only 2 garuanteed" and "3 years plus a 4th partially garuanteed"
Thats why they should smarten up on how much to spend and which players/contracts to trade for.

sp1derm00
02-26-2009, 11:23 AM
Uhhhh... isn't it the reason why NBA stars get paid the big bucks?

Not only are they super talented, but their careers are short because of the risk of injuries as well as basic wear and tear on their bodies from playing so many games.

JordansBulls
02-26-2009, 01:16 PM
Thats why they should smarten up on how much to spend and which players/contracts to trade for.

:nod:

Hellcrooner
02-26-2009, 01:22 PM
mmm i dont know....here in Spain ( and in europe ingeneral) if a worker gets their health damaged the sotial security system pays the 80% of the workers salary while he can/wont work....

In the states if you injury you get paid nothing????

Trouble87
02-26-2009, 01:44 PM
I agree, and the league owners have the nerve to complain about the economy right now but they pay players not to play. I just realized Eric Snow is under contract with Clevland and that dude is a commentator on NBA TV

ive noticed that too... I just assumed it was a medical reason

magichatnumber9
02-26-2009, 02:00 PM
Your team agreed with the contract, suck it up.

SteveNash
02-26-2009, 05:53 PM

Every other major professional sport in North America has guaranteed contracts. The NFL would have had guaranteed contracts 90's if the players union didn't have Upshaw representing them.

And Brady got injured without even playing a quarter last season, he still got h is 15 mil+. Even if the Wizards could cut Arenas, I doubt they would do it this year.