PDA

View Full Version : Grade Jay Triano

Frank Costanza
02-25-2009, 10:33 AM
Interim or not, this man has been head coach of the raps from game 18 to now game 59 from what we ve seen so far as a head coach what grade would you give him to this poiint and please look at player development as well as record , defensive differences and offensive differences from b4,

and would you let him interview for the head coach job next yr??

Frank Costanza
02-25-2009, 10:37 AM
frank gives him a D, wouldnt let him interview for the head job next yr, main reasons and the record is one but not the main one, he doesnt seem to motivate his players , he sits and frowns when they go down 6-8 and waits for them to fix themselves, sam only sat and did nothing when they went down 20+ and even then sometimes youd see him pacing up and down trying . Dont wanna make this a sam vs triano but the good nba coaches(not saying smitch is one) can fire up a team in a must win situ against a team ahead of them and get more out of them , the ny friday game was the point i realized Jay doenst have what it takes to head coach in this league and it will be hard for him to move over a couple seats to lead assistant, i think he leaves the team after this yr

Bob_at_york
02-25-2009, 10:48 AM
I was sitting on the "C" then changed to a "B" only because he is a rookie head coach. I don't think he has done a good job but I like his offensive strategies and I think he has had a hard time with injuries.

ink
02-25-2009, 11:09 AM
I have a lot of faith in Triano because of what I've seen him do before. This Raptors roster was both injured and dysfunctional (no aggressive wing player rendered them the most predictable team in the NBA; redundancy at the PF position with Bosh and JO). And yet, the architect wanted them to run -- the most difficult game they could attempt.

People always point to Sam being 8-9 as some sort of evidence that he was a better coach. The euphoria of the beginning of the season wore off fast. They won 3 games and then came crashing down to reality, going 5-9 after. 5-9 is about right for a team that is discovering that it doesn't have the parts to compete. Triano inherited a team that was BEATEN and had no confidence that it could get anything done. Until the Marion trade, the composition of the roster beat itself. They regained their confidence gradually by having a coach that gave them roles, allowed players to understand their roles, stopped blocking the development of key players like Sam did (Bargnani, Graham, Ukic), and pushed other players hard (Kapono, now Calderon). If the success he's had with all of these players continues, and the much improved team structure improves, I expect him to do well with this made-over team. He's 2-2 since the Marion trade. That's all I care about.

Considering everything he's had to deal with in one single, interim season, I'd give him a B too.

Steely McBeam
02-25-2009, 11:51 AM
i give him a C. i understand that he 's a rookie coach but i really don't think he has the leadership skills to coach an NBA team

Big Game Son
02-25-2009, 11:52 AM
B+

I think he has done a great job with the young guys, which wasnt happening before. He has opened up the game of everyone. Even the likes of Graham who many deemed a lost cause. Habits are being broken that hindered our team in prior seasons.

Bad Things
Defensive lapses. This is to be expected from a rookie coach though. Also I think he needs to lengthen the bench abit. Use the guys even if they dont perform right now because we are playing too thin for this run and gun game. Guys are going ot tire out.

I have faith in Triano though and I'm not a coach so I'll shut up. lol!

td0tsfinest
02-25-2009, 12:17 PM
Whats average? I guess I would give him a C+/B-; he's done a similar job to many other rookie coaches. The record is obviously not great but he's got the raps running the ball more on offense.

Will he be hired again? I honestly don't think so. He might stay on as an assistant, by I see BC going out and getting a veteran head coach.

torontosports10
02-25-2009, 12:21 PM
I notice the officals use it against him thats hes a rookie and we dont get many calls. Sam used to be crazy so it affected the officals, while Jay is more laid back so thats might affect it.

Shark
02-25-2009, 12:44 PM
I notice the officals use it against him thats hes a rookie and we dont get many calls. Sam used to be crazy so it affected the officals, while Jay is more laid back so thats might affect it.

You dont think triano has given his piece of mind to the officials? I dont know, I see him talking to them all the time.

And If I am not mistaken, he's gone off on them and been ejected 2 times. and I've seen several incidents where he had the reddest face yelling his lungs out and surprised they didnt even T him up, Oh well strange.

Overall a B, I blame more of the season on injuries and lack of flow thru the lineup, not to mention how horrid Bosh's play has been since they started going downhill.

Bob_at_york
02-25-2009, 12:52 PM
You dont think triano has given his piece of mind to the officials? I dont know, I see him talking to them all the time.

And If I am not mistaken, he's gone off on them and been ejected 2 times. and I've seen several incidents where he had the reddest face yelling his lungs out and surprised they didnt even T him up, Oh well strange.
I don't think the guy was saying that Jay wasn't going off on the refs, just the refs are ignoring him because they don't respect him.

Rapthug
02-25-2009, 12:54 PM
Really have to wait until the end of the season to grade him to see what he can do with Marion and a hopefully healthy roster. If he finds a way to get them into the playoffs than I'm certain he'll be back.

In terms of strategy, adjustments, and managing the roster I think he's done a great job. In excells where Sam was clueless. We actually run plays after a timeout when we really need a basket and I think the players now have defined roles. He manages the game very well at the end too. The Sac game right after Xmas was a great example. He took Calderon out with 25 seconds left and used his best defensive guys.....something Sam would never dream to do.

My issue with Jay is can he push and motivate his players. That is just as big or bigger than x's and o's at this level. I'm not sure he is strong enough in this aspect.

I'd give him a B- so far.

The Raps record is a reflection of the GM just as much as the coach. JO didn't work and his fat contract killed our depth.

Shark
02-25-2009, 12:55 PM
I don't think the guy was saying that Jay wasn't going off on the refs, just the refs are ignoring him because they don't respect him.

Well that could be the case. But he mentioned he was more laid back, he may be more laid back when we are losing but I dont think he just sits there when theres a bad foul call.

certain fool
02-25-2009, 01:17 PM
I gave him a D...cause C seemed like a passing grade and I won't give him that. I like what he's done with player development and his game plans. However, I don't think he has what it takes to coach a game in real time. Coming out of time outs yes. But, he doesn't motivate the players. Often takes time outs too late. Gets visibly depressed when things go south. All and all, excellent assistant...Poor head coach...

Maybe that changes with experience. He's got a few games left to prove he deserves another chance. I'm don't think he's earned it.

hades
02-25-2009, 01:17 PM
i think its to early grade for next years job... what if he turns it around and actually makes the playoff?

in terms of the players responding to him i would give triano a C-.
Yes! the other players are responding quite well specially graham and bargs but! i think him and chris bosh has a poor relationship. Chris is the franchise. The franchise and the coach has to be bread and butter and not water and ice. cold.

in terms of player development i give him a B-
bargs and graham came out of their shell this year and not burried at the end of smitches rotation. and ukic showing some grit. triano didnt really give these players anything but playing time. and maybe a lil bit of confidence

overall i would give triano C- and B if we make the playoffs from where we stand now.

HoopsDrive
02-25-2009, 01:35 PM
Grade as of February 25, 2009: C+
Interview for next season: No

Mediocre coaching throughout. Yes, he did take the job in a dysfunctional situation, that much is for sure. And yes, he is a rookie coach. But that doesn't change much if anything with regards to this question. He has done what he could and tried his best but the results have been overwhelmingly mediocre. Combine the already weak team that the Raptors have plus mediocre coaching ability and the result is a 23-36 team.

Only way I see BC giving Jay a chance next year is IF he can take the Raptors to the 8th playoff seed even with this underwhelming squad. If he makes the playoffs, he has a much better chance to stay than leave. Anything worse, even a strong finish to the season but out of contention and he's likely out for good.

the life
02-25-2009, 03:15 PM
i like part of his work development of Joey and bargs and roko...
part fo his failure is caused by the fact sam changed mentally the players.
Even bosh have lost the urge of attacking the basket. I heared Jay saying how bosh should attack more. Bosh still doesn't buy in this new more agressive way of playing.

More shats!
02-25-2009, 04:38 PM
Whoever says Jay has done a great job is full of crap.I dont care if some players have played better under him, people forget others have played worse .His offence until he started to get the team to run more was terrible, The team had no ball movement and he is not utilizing Bosh and Calderon to there strenghts.Like where is the pick and roll that was so effective with Bosh/Jose? We now run it so few times now.

The man took over a team that was 8-9 and they have been down hill since he became the coach.They have lost to the Thunder,Grizzlies,Pacers,Knicks and a lot more embarasing defeats under him.The only good thing is the development of Bargnani and Joey but hell that could be more on the player than the coach.He is just playing them more and allowing them to play tru mistakes, is that simple if you play a player more you will get more production and if you let them to play tru mistakes they will be more agressive but that does not mean he is doing a good job, he is just following orders from the boss(BC).

A give him big D in my opinion it save him that Bargnani and Joey have play so well, if not i give him a big *** F.

LanceUpperCut
02-25-2009, 04:41 PM
I gave him a B .I like Jay and think he has done a great job on development and has some good offensive play's somtimes it's hard to tell cause are player just can't finish them but I just don't think he fit's on our team.
A good Quote from Smitch "good teams police them selves" and this team just can't do that.In Jay's defense I don't know if any coach could of took over when he did and made us a good team better maybe but not much.For a rookie coach he did fine and I hope he has another chance in this league he deserves it.Think about how pissed as a fan you've been with the missed open shot's and missed defensive assignments which had nothing to do with coaching.I for one feel for the guy.

More shats!
02-25-2009, 04:50 PM
I gave him a B .I like Jay and think he has done a great job on development and has some good offensive play's somtimes it's hard to tell cause are player just can't finish them but I just don't think he fit's on our team.
A good Quote from Smitch "good teams police them selves" and this team just can't do that.In Jay's defense I don't know if any coach could of took over when he did and made us a good team better maybe but not much.For a rookie coach he did fine and I hope he has another chance in this league he deserves it.Think about how pissed as a fan you've been with the missed open shot's and missed defensive assignments which had nothing to do with coaching.I for one feel for the guy.

That is the problem with your post "you like Jay" hey i like him to but just because i like him does not mean he is getting a free pass.People wanted Sam fired because they dint like him and that is wrong.Is about how the team preforms not if you like the man or not.

Tom Stone
02-25-2009, 04:52 PM
I got to say Jay Tranio is a really smart x and o coach, he comes in with a stragity for every game, things haven't worked out to plan with injuries and luck, but I think it's rare to have an intelligent coach, that has the ability to adapt doesn't loose his cool much only when needed, handels the press well.....One of the things I hated about sam was he would blame the players night in night out, saying stuff like I'm telling them to rebound and go`s ahead and puts Marshall and bonner at pf and C....................He didn`t understand the power coaches have over the game......and couldn`t think in a time of crisis..............We will Never have that problem again with traino......I`m going to wait to grade at end of season.

Bob_at_york
02-25-2009, 05:10 PM
That is the problem with your post "you like Jay" hey i like him to but just because i like him does not mean he is getting a free pass.People wanted Sam fired because they dint like him and that is wrong.Is about how the team preforms not if you like the man or not.

You really think people didn't like Sam? I loved him! I thought he was hilarious, I just thought he was a **** coach.

More shats!
02-25-2009, 05:18 PM
You really think people didn't like Sam? I loved him! I thought he was hilarious, I just thought he was a **** coach.

A lot of people hated the guy that is well documented.Go to the forum with the most Raps fan (Real GM) and you will see that a lot of people hated the guy some just use his coaching metods as the excuse but they dint like how he was with the media,players etc.I dint think he was a great coach but is funny how people are making Jay the better coach around here.If Sam had Jay record people would be giving the guy D and F and calling for his head.

ink
02-25-2009, 05:27 PM

I liked Sam a lot and for exactly the reasons you mentioned. He's funny and has great charisma. Sometimes I think that's what people mean when they say that Jay is a bad coach. He doesn't fit the "image" of a big time coach, and he definitely doesn't have the big persona Sam had. But there's more to coaching than personality.

Frank Costanza
02-25-2009, 05:32 PM
great responses guys, better thread than i envisioned, loving how you see different grades and fair arguements, if frank can come back and comment id say that i still give him a D but do understand that he has strenghts, its just that the raps tried kevin oneil, they tried sam mitcell, they interimed jay triano, and all i want is my fav team to have a real coach, i dont know if that makes me a homer in your opinions going for a big name over a local guy, im born in canada love the canadian pride, but i say save that for the hockey team, basketball the margin for error on the coaches side is just too damn small, and i really think im not the only one in here who is dying for any real big name known name coach..

is frank the only one who feels this way???

ink
02-25-2009, 05:33 PM
great responses guys, better thread than i envisioned, loving how you see different grades and fair arguements, if frank can come back and comment id say that i still give him a D but do understand that he has strenghts, its just that the raps tried kevin oneil, they tried sam mitcell, they interimed jay triano, and all i want is my fav team to have a real coach, i dont know if that makes me a homer in your opinions going for a big name over a local guy, im born in canada love the canadian pride, but i say save that for the hockey team, basketball the margin for error on the coaches side is just too damn small, and i really think im not the only one in here who is dying for any real big name known name coach..

is frank the only one who feels this way???

Who is this frank? :confused: Are there two of you talking at the same time??

Frank Costanza
02-25-2009, 05:36 PM

you know who frank is

More shats!
02-25-2009, 05:36 PM

He is writing in 3rd person ink.;)

ink
02-25-2009, 05:40 PM
you know who frank is

ink is wondering why Frank refers to frank all the time. Just wondering ... ;) ink isn't sure what is going on in Frank's computer with frank. :p

He is writing in 3rd person ink.;)

I know.

blujaysrock
02-25-2009, 05:42 PM
I'd give him a C

Frank Costanza
02-25-2009, 05:46 PM
ink is wondering why Frank refers to frank all the time. Just wondering ... ;) ink isn't sure what is going on in Frank's computer with frank. :p

I know.

its all part of the persona, im sure ink has some characteristics unique to ink
ppl know frank as a thread starter, a poll person, a jays leafs and raps die hard fan, frank always beleives in the best but tries to be as real as possible

yes frank can get into a few fights and has been giving infractions from ink but that is also the persona

ink
02-25-2009, 05:50 PM
its all part of the persona, im sure ink has some characteristics unique to ink
ppl know frank as a thread starter, a poll person, a jays leafs and raps die hard fan, frank always beleives in the best but tries to be as real as possible

yes frank can get into a few fights and has been giving infractions from ink but that is also the persona

Keeping it real is good. ;) ink likes that. Does frank mind if ink starts talking in the third person too. ink is enjoying this and may post this way from now on. In fact everyone should try it. lol.

Back to Jay Triano, ink thinks that Mike D'Antoni wasn't a big name when BC gave him his start either.

Frank Costanza
02-25-2009, 05:51 PM
Keeping it real is good. ;) ink likes that. Does frank mind if ink starts talking in the third person too. ink is enjoying this and may post this way from now on. In fact everyone should try it. lol.

to each their own, frank embraces it

Bob_at_york
02-25-2009, 09:36 PM
I'd give him a C

Jay or Frank? :D

lorenz00
02-25-2009, 09:58 PM
i give him C just because our offense improve and defense is about the same. Improvment of andrea bargani lol..... one of the amazing things that he has done.
but the thing is winning ball game isnt there yet... i think its because of injuries?

lorenz00
02-25-2009, 09:59 PM
o and ya i will give him 1 more shot a head coach give him like the training / pre season

Kaze
02-26-2009, 01:48 AM
i'd give him a B considering that

-he didnt have the piece he needed to run a fast pace offense (JO)
-consistant injuries after he took over
-graham, roko and bargnani's development
-he lets his players play thru their mistakes, not like sam where he had a short leash on some players
-fights for his team
-actually able to draw inbound plays
-players' coach
-actually answering questions to the media =D

Frank Costanza
02-26-2009, 09:44 AM
-

-actually answering questions to the media =D

ill give him that, he does talk to the media nicely i loved sams interviews for the fights but wanted him to answer more, jay gives the reader and fan and media something after every game

pebloemer
02-26-2009, 10:34 AM
o and ya i will give him 1 more shot a head coach give him like the training / pre season

If he is not going to be the coach during that year, I don't want him doing training and preseason. Should be same coach, same philosophy that is intented for the season so the team can adapt to it.

I would be fine giving Triano a one year contract for next year (lots of games left in this year to change my mind though).

ramz.n
02-26-2009, 10:54 AM
gave him a C...he made individual players such as Graham and Bargnani better..but overall he hasn't lifted this team out of the slump that got Mitchell fired..but can't really blame him because Bc didn't give him a wing player and a bench to start with.

LanceUpperCut
02-26-2009, 02:14 PM

Well I never meant me and the guy are friends.I like him as a coach,what do you have to personally hate the guy to be a good coach.

AvonBarksdale
02-26-2009, 02:59 PM
Jesus Christ, most of the time I just like to read the posts, but I have to voice my opinion here. Those of you giving Triano anything better than a D or c- seriously need your heads examined. If a coach is judged based on wins/loses and you guys are giving him a B, what the hell did Mitchell deserve last year or earlier this year when the team was 8-9? An A???? GIve me a ****ing break....Yeah he's the good ol Canadian boy, but please don't let that blind you from the fact the team in now what 14-26 under him.

And all this talk about the development of Bargs under Triano is ********. Lets not forget, Bargs saw an increase in PT because of the injury to O'neal - Triano had no choice. Joey has improved under Triano, but that's it.

Calderon and Bosh are not playing to their strengths and as a result the offense looked pathetic before Marion arrived, the team defense is still horrible, Kapono still isn't getting open looks. His "x's and o's as far as I'm concerned hasn't generated any extra wins - wins a lot of people thought would come upon Mitchells dismissal. On top of that he doesn't seem to be a great motivator. The team does not come out ready to play hard, and that falls on the coach.... Sorry but Triano hasn't done anything to warrant a 7/10 or even a 6/10 .....He gets a D, and not and E because of Jose and Bosh missed a few games.

AvonBarksdale
02-26-2009, 03:06 PM
It baffles me Mitchell was thrown to the wolves for the team starting 8-9, but Triano's given passing marks because now "he doesn't have the players to work with".

LMFAO at Mitchell still being blamed for Triano's struggles because he left him a "fragile, unconfident team".

And if BC brings back Triano next year after this horse **** of a season, I'm done with the raptors. Fire a coach who was 8-9, but bring back his replacement who was even worse. GTFO
/rant

sorry, had to get that off my chest

Bob_at_york
02-26-2009, 03:07 PM
Jesus Christ, most of the time I just like to read the posts, but I have to voice my opinion here. Those of you giving Triano anything better than a D or c- seriously need your heads examined. If a coach is judged based on wins/loses and you guys are giving him a B, what the hell did Mitchell deserve last year or earlier this year when the team was 8-9? An A???? GIve me a ****ing break....Yeah he's the good ol Canadian boy, but please don't let that blind you from the fact the team in now what 14-26 under him.

And all this talk about the development of Bargs under Triano is ********. Lets not forget, Bargs saw an increase in PT because of the injury to O'neal - Triano had no choice. Joey has improved under Triano, but that's it.

Calderon and Bosh are not playing to their strengths and as a result the offense looked pathetic before Marion arrived, the team defense is still horrible, Kapono still isn't getting open looks. His "x's and o's as far as I'm concerned hasn't generated any extra wins - wins a lot of people thought would come upon Mitchells dismissal. On top of that he doesn't seem to be a great motivator. The team does not come out ready to play hard, and that falls on the coach.... Sorry but Triano hasn't done anything to warrant a 7/10 or even a 6/10 .....He gets a D, and not and E because of Jose and Bosh missed a few games.

I agree with some of your points but I give rookies more leeway. I will say this, if C+ was available, I would have given him that but in end C sounded too low so I had to go higher.

Frank Costanza
02-26-2009, 03:07 PM

dont like your tone but agree, i gave him a D and then after finding some good points on him , still gave him the D,
bro we all have a right to our own opinions, no one is right or wrong on here,

AvonBarksdale
02-26-2009, 03:20 PM
dont like your tone but agree, i gave him a D and then after finding some good points on him , still gave him the D,
bro we all have a right to our own opinions, no one is right or wrong on here,

Sorry if I came across as an ***. My apologies. You're completely right. every one it entitled to their opinions and there is no right and wrong answer. I just find it frustrating how the fans came down so hard on Mitchell, but seem to be taking it so easy on Triano.

More shats!
02-26-2009, 03:24 PM
Well I never meant me and the guy are friends.I like him as a coach,what do you have to personally hate the guy to be a good coach.

What? You took my post out of context, I never said you need to hate the guy to be a good coach,So i have no idea where you got that from.My problem with your post was that you said "You like him" and i just dont think that people can make him look like a good coach because they like him.Because i like him 2 as a person, he is a great guy but as a head coach he has proven nothing for me to like him as one.

Frank Costanza
02-26-2009, 04:21 PM
Sorry if I came across as an ***. My apologies. You're completely right. every one it entitled to their opinions and there is no right and wrong answer. I just find it frustrating how the fans came down so hard on Mitchell, but seem to be taking it so easy on Triano.

its all good bro,
the triano mitchell saga has no easy answers, i used to love sam mitchell, i was one who was very happy when he won coach of the yr, then my love for him wore off through last yrs turbulent season, when he was fired i think alot of us thought bc had the money ready and the ability to get a big name coach mid season, wasnt the case, so i do feel sorry him being an interim for soo long, not having a wing man and such but agree totally that with the amount of games hes played, ppl are taking it easy on him and he hasnt been a really good head coach , motivating your players to come out and start a game hard is a very important characteristic of a good head coach,

More shats!
02-26-2009, 04:42 PM

I agree with your post , way to many people are giving Jay a free pass.

pebloemer
02-26-2009, 05:10 PM

I don't at all believe a coach is judged on wins/losses. Is Doc Rivers the best coach in the league the past couple years because of the Celtics record? I think the team has more to do with the wins/losses record than the coach.

I posted this elsewhere about Jerry's Sloan's first few years in the league and I will post it again here.

I also think you are ignoring all the contextual factors involved this season.

Twenty years? Jerry Sloan worried he wouldn't last even 20 days.

He took over the conductor's baton of the Utah Jazz from the popular Frank Layden on Dec. 9, 1988, and commenced his career with a loss to the Dallas Mavericks. Nine games in, he was 3-6, coming off a road trip that ended with a loss to the expansion Miami Heat, who had lost 21 of their first 22 games. Next up for Sloan was a home game against the back-to-back champion Los Angeles Lakers on Christmas Day.

"And I thought that'd be as far as I'd get," Sloan says.

Sloan's head coaching debut came two years later with the Bulls … and it didn't go very well. A 94-121 record, fired halfway through his third year. Even then, he was showing coaching traits a young Bulls player named Reggie Theus would one day incorporate in his own coaching style.

In Utah, it always has been owner Larry Miller and an organizational philosophy that success comes from stability, that franchises such as the Dallas Cowboys and the Los Angeles Dodgers were at their best when they changed coaches once a generation. Sloan possesses, as Theus says somewhat enviously, both the hammer and the nail.

There's never been a chance of a team uprising. You've never seen a Sloan team quit on him. Ever since he won that game on Christmas 20 years ago, it's been pretty clear his departure will be on his terms.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/column...e=Sloan-081209