PDA

View Full Version : What Would Calvin Murphy Do? -- Jose FT%

Bob_at_york
02-25-2009, 12:54 AM
Jose's consecutive FT streak ended but Jose is still closing in on the best FT% in a season. Calvin Murphy owns the record with 95.8%. Jose's FT% right now is over 98%. Jose still doesn't qualify for the record, he needs to hit more FTs (I will double check those numbers and get back to you) but for now, WWCMD:

I wonder what Calvin Murphy would do if he still held the consecutive free-throw streak. Would the 5-9 NBA Hall-of-Famer show up at Calderon’s game and heckle him, or talk trash, as he has done with previous potential record-breakers like Michael Williams, Mahmoud Abdul Rauf, and Mark Price:

...In April 1993, Cleveland Cavaliers guard Mark Price came one free throw short of tying Murphy’s mark of 78 in a row. After the miss, someone asked Murphy if Price choked. “I don’t want to use that word,” Murphy said, “but the shot speaks for itself. I can’t believe it missed that badly.”

Murphy wouldn’t have much time to celebrate Price’s miscue. While everyone was focusing on Price’s streak, Michael Williams of the Minnesota Timberwolves was right behind Price, and quietly piling up a streak of his own. Wiliiams would not only break Murphy’s record, but shatter it, despite Calvin obviously wanting him to miss

Murphy, who had been hoping against hope that Willies would miss, surely would have flown in for the Timberwolves’ next game against the Utah Jazz, to sit courtside and wiggle his fingers at Williams as if to deliver a curse and keep his record alive. But the Rockets broadcaster had a game to call the night before and couldn’t be there on April 25, 1993… when Williams broke his record.

Murphy also owned another NBA record; the highest FT percentage for a single season. The player that was honing in on the record? Mahmoud Abdul Rauf, a player that had already pushed Murphy down to third place in consecutive free-throws made the previous season. And unfortunate scheduling had Denver visiting Houston on the final day of the 1993-94 NBA season:

Denver’s Mahmoud Abdul-Rauf went into Houston on the final day of the regular season having hit on 96% of his 227 attempts. When Abdul-Rauf went to the line for the first time in the final minutes, Murphy stood up from his courtside seat and performed a little voodoo hex. Abdul-Rauf missed and Murphy did a celebratory dance.

Murphy not only stood up and performed a ad-hoc curse on Mahmoud, but he was also seen holding the basketball before Abdul-Rauf attempted the foul shot that could have broken Murphy’s single-season record for free throw percentage.

That one missed free-throw, on the final day of the regular season, would keep Calvin Murphy on top of the record books. While Abdul-Rauf, would end the season at 95.6% — only 0.02% off of Murphy’s record of 95.8%.

Calvin Murphy’s highest single-season free-throw percentage NBA record still stands today. We’ll see if Murphy is on hand on March 3rd, 2009, when Calderon and the Toronto Raptors visit the Houston Rockets.

Link: http://www.interbasket.net/news/694/2009/01/07/calderon-closing-in-on-nba-free-throw-record/

Dol-Fan
02-25-2009, 01:17 AM
What a douche, let time pass.

I don't remember Dan Marino hexing Peyton Manning when he broke his record for most TD's in a season, or Brett Favre when he broke Dan's record for most TD's in a career. What a joke this is.

Either way, though, I highly doubt that he will need to be on hand since Calderon probably won't get enough attempts. Or if he does, he won't be mere percentage points behind Murphy, and hopefully a good 2-3% ahead.

JermanJaysFan
02-25-2009, 02:32 AM
I tried to look up what the parameters are for determing FT champ eligiblity, but I couldn't find anything. I did come up with something, however:

This is a fairly rudimentary estimate as to how many FT's Jose needs to attempt to qualify for the record, but here it is:

I looked up last years FT% leaders using the "qualified only" provision on NBA.com (the list can be found here: http://www.nba.com/statistics/player/FreeTS.jsp?season=22007&league=00&conf=OVERALL&qualified=Y&position=0&splitType=9&yearsExp=-1&sortOrder=6&splitDD=All+Teams&pager.offset=0)

Of the 132 qualified players, the lowest number of attempts by a qualified player was Peja's 140 (incidentally, he was last years FT% champ...). Therefore, we can assume that if Jose gets at least 140 FTs, he is qualified. Of course, the cutoff number could be below there, but that seems to be within the "safe zone".

Jose has taken 105 this year (made 103- wow), or an average of 2.386 per game. That means if he keeps his average up over the final 23 games, he will have a total of 159.878 free throw attempts this year, which apparently puts him in fine shape for the record.

Bob_at_york
02-25-2009, 08:47 AM
I tried to look up what the parameters are for determing FT champ eligiblity, but I couldn't find anything. I did come up with something, however:

This is a fairly rudimentary estimate as to how many FT's Jose needs to attempt to qualify for the record, but here it is:

I looked up last years FT% leaders using the "qualified only" provision on NBA.com (the list can be found here: http://www.nba.com/statistics/player/FreeTS.jsp?season=22007&league=00&conf=OVERALL&qualified=Y&position=0&splitType=9&yearsExp=-1&sortOrder=6&splitDD=All+Teams&pager.offset=0)

Of the 132 qualified players, the lowest number of attempts by a qualified player was Peja's 140 (incidentally, he was last years FT% champ...). Therefore, we can assume that if Jose gets at least 140 FTs, he is qualified. Of course, the cutoff number could be below there, but that seems to be within the "safe zone".

Jose has taken 105 this year (made 103- wow), or an average of 2.386 per game. That means if he keeps his average up over the final 23 games, he will have a total of 159.878 free throw attempts this year, which apparently puts him in fine shape for the record.

about two weeks ago I was at my parents place and for some reason my Dad looked up all sorts of basketball records. I think the minimum requirement was something like 120. Now whatever website we were at, it didn't exactly clarify if it was 120 made FTs or attempted.

HoopsDrive
02-25-2009, 02:22 PM
Here ya go:

Record for single-season free-throw percentage, held by Calvin Murphy, who went 206-for-215 in 1980-81. A player must make at least 125 free throws to qualify.

Taken from: http://www.nba.com/2009/news/features/john_schuhmann/01/28/calderon_streak.numbers.game.20090128/index.html

Bob_at_york
02-25-2009, 02:55 PM
Here ya go:

Taken from: http://www.nba.com/2009/news/features/john_schuhmann/01/28/calderon_streak.numbers.game.20090128/index.html

Thanks! This means that Jose only needs to make 18 more FTs. He could get there in the next 3 weeks. Should be interesting to watch this the rest of the way.

HoopsDrive
02-25-2009, 03:21 PM
Man, I really hope he makes it but I would have loved it even more if he beat that consecutive FT record... gah!

LanceUpperCut
02-25-2009, 03:47 PM
Ray Allen has a streak going right now ,well last time I checked.If the rap's can win some games hopefully JC will get some FT at the end of games to close them out.

More shats!
02-25-2009, 04:06 PM
about two weeks ago I was at my parents place and for some reason my Dad looked up all sorts of basketball records. I think the minimum requirement was something like 120. Now whatever website we were at, it didn't exactly clarify if it was 120 made FTs or attempted.

I think is attempted.

Macedonian
02-25-2009, 05:40 PM
Jose Calderon FT 22-22... NBA record: Micheal Williams 97 consecutive made FTs

This season:
Jose Calderon FT% .982 (107-109)...
NBA record for one whole season: Calvin Murphy FT% .958 (206-215)

ink
02-25-2009, 05:44 PM
JJF had an excellent stat about this last night. I'll find it and paste it in.

More shats!
02-25-2009, 05:45 PM
You are going to Jinx the man.

DELETE NOW!

ink
02-25-2009, 05:47 PM
^ I said that last time too, and Jose kept on going for another month. lol.

More shats!
02-25-2009, 05:54 PM
^ I said that last time too, and Jose kept on going for another month. lol.

And it ended.

We shoud not talk about this until it happens.This is history that could stand for decades we shoud do everything possible to not jinx the man.

Jacob K.
02-25-2009, 05:57 PM
i think he will. i cant see him missing 20 in a row lol

HoopsDrive
02-25-2009, 07:08 PM
What the heck? He's on another one? I watched that Wolves game yesterday did Calderon even go to the line?...

GL to him in any case.

_Sn1P3r_
02-25-2009, 07:15 PM
I wish he can get the record. Good luck to him and I hope this won't jinx him at all.

Macedonian
02-25-2009, 09:21 PM
JJF had an excellent stat about this last night. I'll find it and paste it in.Thanks ink... I was wondering how many attempts is necessary for a player to be qualified for a record... I tried to find it on Google, but there was nothing on the web!

Bob_at_york
02-25-2009, 09:23 PM
This season:
Jose Calderon FT% .982 (107-109)...

I wanted my other thread to be the official thread for this thing. :(

Macedonian
02-25-2009, 09:26 PM
I wanted my other thread to be the official thread for this thing. :(Which one?
Just do what you want to do... I'm totally OK with that!

Bob_at_york
02-25-2009, 09:28 PM
i think he will. i cant see him missing 20 in a row lol

It isn't that simple.

Bob_at_york
02-25-2009, 09:30 PM
Which one?
Just do what you want to do... I'm totally OK with that!
I saw your thread die so I created the "What would Calvin Murphy Do?" thread but hey man, if people like your well organized (mine wasn't but it had funny Calvin Murphy stories) thread then fine.

6th man
02-25-2009, 09:43 PM
If he drives the ball to the rim, he'll have a chance.

he seems scared to drive the ball, where as in his rookie year thats what he would try to do.

GCOOKIE7
02-25-2009, 10:47 PM
Who care what Murphy will do?

Bob_at_york
02-25-2009, 10:51 PM
Who care what Murphy will do?

if he is going to come by the ACC and start harassing Jose in the front row then I think we are all going to care.

GCOOKIE7
02-25-2009, 11:29 PM
if he is going to come by the ACC and start harassing Jose in the front row then I think we are all going to care.

Ok w/e floats ur boat

Macedonian
02-26-2009, 12:00 AM
I created the "What would Calvin Murphy Do?"OMG, I didn't notice it... It should be merged I think!

ink
02-26-2009, 12:30 AM
OMG, I didn't notice it... It should be merged I think!

Done. :)

lorenz00
02-26-2009, 12:40 AM
o man now calderon cant break it anymore! because of this threat

Macedonian
03-02-2009, 09:40 PM
Jose Calderon FT 31-31... NBA record: Micheal Williams 97 consecutive made FTs

This season:
Jose Calderon FT% .983 (116-118)...

ChongInc.
03-03-2009, 09:00 PM
he will definetly break it
and i look forward to the next couple of years having the top freethrow man of all time running the point

Bob_at_york
03-03-2009, 09:34 PM
Calvin Murphy will be in attendance tonight.

Kaptain Kanada
03-03-2009, 09:59 PM
Murphy is a dork. I like the old school guys that applaud their records being broken.

Kaptain Kanada
03-03-2009, 10:01 PM
he will definetly break it
and i look forward to the next couple of years having the top freethrow man of all time running the point

Top freethrow man and top freethrow % man might be two very different people. Don't get confused on that one.

Bob_at_york
03-15-2009, 08:04 PM
Jose has finally made enough FTs to be eligible for the FT% crown.