PDA

View Full Version : Where The NBA Dunk Contest is Most Likely Headed

TheHoopsProphet
02-24-2009, 09:07 PM
I just got off the phone with a young, athletic, dunktastic athelete who, for the sake of his anonymity, will be called D.H. He intends on joining the NBA Dunk Contest in 2012. I promised to be his confidante as he revealed what he had in store for the contest, but I'm breaking the promise. Here's how our phone conversation went:

"Man its going to be the greatest dunk contest ever when I'm in it. I'm hiring a guy to dress up as the joker from The Dark Knight as a homage to the death of Heath Ledger.The Joker will be holding a basketball with a ticking time bomb on it, and the only way to cut off the bomb is too put it through the rim. People are gonna wonder, "where D.H. at?" as I wont be on the court. Batman theme starts, then a huge spot light aims towards the nose-bleed section, where I will be there, dressed in a batman costume. I ride on a wire down to mid-court ready to fight The Joker. I already can see Kenny Smith jumping out of his seat, and it may very well give Marv Albert a heart attack. I punch him and grab the wired basketball and run down the court, as Shaquille O'Neal watches in amazement with mustard dripping down onto his shirt from his hot dog, and dunk it into the rim as fire shooters and fireworks fly into the sky from the backboard as I dunk it and the whole building is saved. Jay-Z will be holding up a 10 sign while the fans start chanting M-V-P, as my batmobile pulls up and I drive off into the Locker Room"

"That's pretty fly D.H., I can see you've been thinking this out. But, I'm curious, what's the dunk gonna be?"

There's a 20 second pause.

"Damn, I guess I haven't thought about that yet."

---------

In light of this parody, how do you guys feel about the recent dunk contests? After you get all of your laughter out, do you think its theatrics are taking away from the dunk itself or do you like that? Vince Carter did the greatest dunk sequences ever in the contest, and there were no themes or theatrics or props involved. But I can also understand its harder to do new things that havent been done before, so its like everyone depends on the theatrics to make the dunk more interesting. In fact, I'd go as far as saying, without them, the dunk contest may have been as popular as the skills challenge. Either way, there is clearly a shortage on fresh, eye-popping, long-talked about, dunks.

BTownTeamsRKing
02-24-2009, 09:09 PM
lol that was funny ish

_Sn1P3r_
02-24-2009, 09:13 PM
Haha, the dunk contest is pretty much like a costume show or NBA's own 'Halloween'. It is entertaining but I miss those high flying dunks. I'm fine with high flying dunks mixed with the costumes though but the focus shouldn't be mainly on the character you want to portray, but the dunk itself. Dunk Contest, not Who-Has-The Best-Costume Contest.

BTownTeamsRKing
02-24-2009, 09:15 PM
someone needs to pull off either a double b/w legs dunk or a 720. then it will be entertaining. it can be done. i know someone will be able to pull it off

djeller1139
02-24-2009, 09:19 PM
Jason Richardson dunks were some of the last true high flying, exciting and new dunks. Josh Smith too I guess.

magichatnumber9
02-24-2009, 09:36 PM
Vince killed the dunk contest forever.

GSW fan
02-24-2009, 09:44 PM
someone needs to pull off either a double b/w legs dunk or a 720. then it will be entertaining. it can be done. i know someone will be able to pull it off

i did those in nba live

scored a 50 :cool:

JMG15
02-24-2009, 09:50 PM
Jason Richardson dunks were some of the last true high flying, exciting and new dunks. Josh Smith too I guess.

Agreed. J-Rich was the last guy to really excite you in the dunk contest. If LeBron actually enters the dunk contest then I think it would get some of its flare back. But the last few have really bored me.

Kakaroach
02-24-2009, 11:09 PM
How do you beat Vinsanity? I mean, until 2008 with Dwight Howard and Nate Robinson this year, the dunk contest hasn't been some huge attraction as it used to be.