PDA

View Full Version : Sources: Marbury set to leave Knicks

NYMetros
02-24-2009, 07:31 PM
The New York Knicks and Stephon Marbury were nearing a buyout agreement Tuesday afternoon that would clear the way for Marbury to sign with the Boston Celtics, according to sources close to the situation.

Sources briefed on the state of the talks told ESPN.com that the Knicks and Marbury are on the verge of finalizing a separation package that will make Marbury eligible to play in the playoffs for another team because his release from New York would come before the league's Sunday deadline.

The New York Times first reported on its Web site Tuesday afternoon that "all indications were that the two sides had reached agreement on a contract buyout that will free [Marbury] to join another franchise for the stretch run."

Said one source to ESPN.com: "Look for Steph to get bought out today."

Another source close to the process indicated that Marbury and the Celtics have already commenced discussions on a contract.

It's believed that Marbury will be forfeiting in excess of $2 million from his $20.8 million salary this season, which would net the Knicks twice that much because of the luxury-tax savings involved.

Marbury would then be in position to recoup roughly half of what he's surrendering in his buyout from the Celtics. As ESPN.com reported Jan. 1, Boston has been hoping to sign the wayward point guard to bolster its thin bench if Marbury -- who turned 32 last week -- could manage to extricate himself from the Knicks

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3931801

Surprised they reached an agreement.

theimortalone
02-24-2009, 07:33 PM
Wow I am suprised that they were able to reach a buyout.

The real question here is, can Marbury handle coming off the bench? :eyebrow:

Nikolishin
02-24-2009, 07:38 PM
wowwww its about time they actually get rid of him, what a waste of money he was just sittin ont he bench in street clothes

bbd24
02-24-2009, 07:38 PM
I think there are only a few exceptions where Marbury would accept and handle coming off the bench. The world champion Boston Celtics is one of those. Who wouldn't accept there role when playing for Boston ?

bostncelts34
02-24-2009, 07:42 PM
Im pretty sure if he does indeed get bought out. He will be in boston very shortly. He already express interest in coming here.

Corey
02-24-2009, 07:50 PM
Yesssssss.

NYKnickFanatic
02-24-2009, 07:50 PM
wowwww its about time they actually get rid of him, what a waste of money he was just sittin ont he bench in street clothes

Marbury hasnt sat on the Knicks bench, since the beginning of the year...:eyebrow:

NHock1120
02-24-2009, 07:55 PM
he sucks

NYMetros
02-24-2009, 07:56 PM
he sucks

No he doesn't. He is just stubborn as all get out.

Mr_Peabody
02-24-2009, 08:06 PM
I think there are only a few exceptions where Marbury would accept and handle coming off the bench. The world champion Boston Celtics is one of those. Who wouldn't accept there role when playing for Boston ?

Larry Hughes

op12
02-24-2009, 08:08 PM
i think if starbary signs and with the signing of moore ( i know a lot of people are hating but still) the celtics will be favorites to repeat. if tony allen can come back and contribute some mintues in the playoffs we will be solid. it would also be nice if giddens or walker could provide some decent minutes. with all that said, i think starbary will be a celtic.

bleedprple&gold
02-24-2009, 08:12 PM
I think a buyout was always on the table as long as Marbury was willing to give up some salary. Now that the deadline to sign with a team and be eligible for the playoffs is almost here, Marbury realized the Knicks weren't going to budge from there initial offer, so it was in Marbury's best interest to agree to their offer. It's in his best interest as well because he can recoup some of that lost money when he signs with Celtics and he'll no longer be wasting away on the Knicks bench.

sugarrayray
i wonder how good he actually still is?

GunFactor187
Looks like the C's just got their official 6th man.

IDB Josh M
02-24-2009, 08:18 PM
Strange, I actually feel concerned for the Lakers.

The Answer3
02-24-2009, 08:22 PM
Marbury should sign with the Celtics if he's prepared to come off the bench. Their bench needs a primary ball handler and a proven scorer. House is more of an undersized SG who happens to be a great shooter. If any chemistry issues and problems, they could just waive him.

D Blue987
02-24-2009, 08:41 PM
you know I wouldnt be surprised if LA signed him. He has been at games recently with the Lakers and has said in a convo on espn that the Lakers are definately a team he would like to sign with. Just by coincidence the Lakers also freed up a couple of roster spots. IDK but all indications are that he is going to be a celtic. I am just saying look out for LA to surprise a few people.

GoatMilk
02-24-2009, 08:47 PM
Go to miami steph

BTownTeamsRKing
02-24-2009, 08:56 PM
Welcome to Boston Stephon Marbury!

and im going to the game sunday vs detriot! his debut with the Celtics most likely

the Celtics just got 3 times stronger. we just replaced Pruitt with Marbury in the rotation. thats huge. and now Eddie can play SG LIKE HE SHOULD!!!! DOC!!!!! and be a knock down shooter.

the Celtics needed this so much. they werent deep enough before

nd4T.O.
02-24-2009, 09:00 PM
they need to sign him first

BTownTeamsRKing
02-24-2009, 09:02 PM
they need to sign him first

just reported, he is already in contract discussions with Boston

nd4T.O.
02-24-2009, 09:05 PM
just reported, he is already in contract discussions with Boston

they already signed Mikki too good day for C's fans....i think Starbury would be better starting than rondo

HOZ THE KNICK
02-24-2009, 09:06 PM
marbury the celtic.

BTownTeamsRKing
02-24-2009, 09:08 PM
they already signed Mikki too good day for C's fans....i think Starbury would be better starting than rondo

Rondo is our PG. no doubt. we need punch off the bench and we got it. Marbury can create for himself and shoot better than Rondo. we need that kind of compliment.

thanks new york.

KnickVeteran
02-24-2009, 09:10 PM
Rondo is our PG. no doubt. we need punch off the bench and we got it. Marbury can create for himself and shoot better than Rondo. we need that kind of compliment.

thanks new york.

:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry: You're Welcome lol

what54!?
02-24-2009, 09:11 PM
thats something. Have fun with the C's

Lakers4ItAll
02-24-2009, 09:24 PM
He would have been a better fit in ORL I think

Lindystud36
02-24-2009, 09:37 PM
what can any team really expect as far as numbers from starbury?

GSW fan
02-24-2009, 09:47 PM
:puke:

theyre too good

shtimp7
02-24-2009, 10:08 PM
why did we give him 18mil. was there no way to get half from him or something. if not then let that sucker rot at home. we absolutely gained nothing from this, only a roster spot
i don't get it, someone explain please

GodsSon
02-24-2009, 10:19 PM
let boston have him...lol they still wont win...and i have a feeling that within a month there will be grumblings about wanting to start

Nighthawk
02-24-2009, 10:20 PM
why did we give him 18mil. Was there no way to get half from him or something. If not then let that sucker rot at home. We absolutely gained nothing from this, only a roster spot
i don't get it, someone explain please

go away

Giaps
02-25-2009, 01:58 AM
Not looking forward to seeing his dumb grin on my TV again.