PDA

View Full Version : Kevin Martin with 24 points in the 4th quarter

Kyle N.
02-24-2009, 01:46 AM
I know it's not a record or anything. Yeah Carmelo had 33. But people have questioned if K-Mart can lead a team and I think this is proving those people wrong.

sacgiants1213
02-24-2009, 01:49 AM
we still lost. Glad to see kmart do well even though we're completely out of it.

NYKnickFanatic
02-24-2009, 01:52 AM
I know it's not a record or anything. Yeah Carmelo had 33. But people have questioned if K-Mart can lead a team and I think this is proving those people wrong.

And how is that? They lost.

I never said anything bad about K-Mart, but you made yourself look bad.

If the Kings would have got the win, then it would be a different story.

Kyle N.
02-24-2009, 01:56 AM
He can't make up for his teammates ****** defense. He gave them every chance to be in the game, but if the people assigned to Chris Paul can't stop him, what are you supposed to do?

NYKnickFanatic
02-24-2009, 01:58 AM
He can't make up for his teammates ****** defense.

He should get at them. :)
Do what a leader would do.
He should have guarded CP3 then. ;)

Kyle N.
02-24-2009, 01:59 AM

Put Kobe on the team and they'd do no better. I'm not saying K-Mart is as good as Kobe, but the Kings really suck. And if he guarded Paul then whoever he was guarding would have a big advantage on the mismatch.

BigEric
02-24-2009, 02:03 AM
Hell yeah son! Kevin Martin a bright spot on a dark lonely team! The guy's gotta make the all star team , if he can stay healthy.

kb24ap28
02-24-2009, 02:05 AM

how does this help ur argument of him being able to lead the kings, they have the worst record in the nba.

BigEric
02-24-2009, 02:08 AM
how does this help ur argument of him being able to lead the kings, they have the worst record in the nba.

No matter how good you are, unless godly, you aren't going to lead the 08-09 Kings to ANYTHING. Give the guy some options and some proven players and he'll get some consideration.

Kyle N.
02-24-2009, 02:09 AM

It's true they have the worst record, but who could do better with them? They have the worst starting PG and the 2nd best player on the team is a rookie. Replace Kevin with any other player in the league and they would hardly win any more games. The point I'm trying to make is that he is a go to guy that can drag a sorry team to kinda actually be in games even though the rest of the team does their best to get themsevles out of them.

prash
02-24-2009, 02:14 AM
so he had 8 points thru the first 3 quarters?

KB24PG16
02-24-2009, 02:18 AM
he had good 4th quarter hes a pure shooter not leader a good second or third option

nigerianking
02-24-2009, 02:35 AM
It's true they have the worst record, but who could do better with them? They have the worst starting PG and the 2nd best player on the team is a rookie. Replace Kevin with any other player in the league and they would hardly win any more games. The point I'm trying to make is that he is a go to guy that can drag a sorry team to kinda actually be in games even though the rest of the team does their best to get themsevles out of them.

Not true. Kobe and Lebron would never allow their teams to be that bad.

Kyle N.
02-24-2009, 02:43 AM

Well on the Kings they'd have to guard all five of the other guys.

znick21
02-24-2009, 02:45 AM

for the most part i agree he's not the leader the thread starter is making him out to be. i mean put kevin martin on the cavs and i doubt they're even close to where they are right now with lebron.

sacgiants1213
02-24-2009, 02:46 AM
as a kings fan i say this... kevin martin is the 'leader' of this kings team. He wouldn't lead any other team but as bad as we are, kmart is definitely our leader. he'd be the 2nd or 3rd option on almost every other team but he's our #1.

Kyle N.
02-24-2009, 02:58 AM
Ok hold on. People are getting the wrong impression here. I'm not saying he is as good as Kobe or LeBron. He's not!!! He's maybe top 30. What I mean is, in a situation where the team is down, he has the ability to take control of the game for them. People were saying he couldn't perform down the stretch when it matter most. But he's showing that he can and "lead" the team to victory... sometimes.

sacgiants1213
02-24-2009, 02:59 AM
i agree with that right there. He leads our team when we need him too, unfortunately it's not too victory though.

Kyle916
02-24-2009, 03:03 AM
He can't make up for his teammates ****** defense. He gave them every chance to be in the game, but if the people assigned to Chris Paul can't stop him, what are you supposed to do?

Or his own defensive inefficiencies...

He is definitely an amazing offensive threat, but he's not going to "lead" a team. He will statistically, but he needs a player to orchestrate the offense through; he's a much much better Rip Hamilton, he just needs the Billups-type player to be the leader.

Kyle916
02-24-2009, 03:04 AM
as a kings fan i say this... kevin martin is the 'leader' of this kings team. He wouldn't lead any other team but as bad as we are, kmart is definitely our leader. he'd be the 2nd or 3rd option on almost every other team but he's our #1.

He'd still be a #1 offensive threat on most teams, but he wouldn't be expected to carry the team when they need it.

Kyle N.
02-24-2009, 03:07 AM
I think you could make a championship team with him, 4 guys all just slightly worse than him, a solid bench and with a good coach.

DerekRE_3
02-24-2009, 03:18 AM
My thoughts on Kevin Martin...

1) Very efficient scorer, can get to the free throw line at will, and once he's there, he will hit 87% of them. This guy gets to the line 12-13 times a game. This is an interesting stat...There have only been two players in NBA history (Martin being one of them) to score 20 points in a game while making only one field goal. Martin has done it twice so far in his career.

2) He doesn't have the personality to be a leader, at least not yet. He'd be a good 2nd or 3rd option on most teams, which is not a bad thing.

3) Keep in mind he's been hampered by an ankle injury most of the year. He's only been 100% for 7 games. He's playing with ligament damage in his ankle and isn't nearly as quick laterally or explosive as he usually is. It's really affected him around the basket (he can barely even dunk off his left foot). It's also really affected his defense.

4) I hear someone say he is a "pure shooter." I'd have to disagree with them there. A pure shooter is a guy like Jason Kapono. Martin gets to the line way too much to be considered just a shooter. He's a scorer.

5) The knock on him is that he's a one dimensional player, that may be true right now, but give him time. He has improved his game every year. He's also pretty unselfish, he passes up shots if he sees someone else with a better shot.

ntat
02-24-2009, 03:37 AM

I am a king's fan and i totally agree. while a big time scorer, and one of the most efficient players in the league, there is more that goes into leading a team than points. Kevin does not have the demeanor, and never ever gets on his teammates. he is not even our captain. and yes he scored huge in the 4th toight, but he still dissapeares in the 4th, or in situations we need him. I love him, and hope he stays forever, but I dont see him being in that catagorie.

NYKnickFanatic
02-24-2009, 03:40 AM
I am a king's fan and i totally agree. while a big time scorer, and one of the most efficient players in the league, there is more that goes into leading a team than points. Kevin does not have the demeanor, and never ever gets on his teammates. he is not even our captain. and yes he scored huge in the 4th toight, but he still dissapeares in the 4th, or in situations we need him. I love him, and hope he stays forever, but I dont see him being in that catagorie.

:). I dont watch the Kings.
So I dont know how he is (quiet, upbeat, etc...).
But he should fire them up or something.
You want to be a leader, you have to show it in other ways other than scoring.

Kyle N.
02-24-2009, 03:44 AM
He's kinda quiet but he's spoken out about the team's poor performance on more than one occasion. Really, the Kings are in as bad a position as they can be in. I think it starts with the head coach and it's nothing Kevin can fix.

NYKnickFanatic
02-24-2009, 03:50 AM
He's kinda quiet but he's spoken out about the team's poor performance on more than one occasion. Really, the Kings are in as bad a position as they can be in. I think it starts with the head coach and it's nothing Kevin can fix.

I hope they can turn it around.
I remember when that arena would be crazy.
I would love watching their games on NBC during the playoffs back in the day.

Kings vs Lakers were intense.

ntat
02-24-2009, 03:50 AM

speaking up in after game press conferences doesnt count, any player will. look at the way Kobe and Lebron get after their teammates during the game, or watch them while theiron the bench. they still lead them team and give direction. Kevin doesnt do either ever. I am not saying he is on their level, cause no one else is, but thats how u lead. Lots of players like Chauncy that r good, not Kobe good, lead their teams.

Kyle N.
02-24-2009, 04:11 AM
speaking up in after game press conferences doesnt count, any player will. look at the way Kobe and Lebron get after their teammates during the game, or watch them while theiron the bench. they still lead them team and give direction. Kevin doesnt do either ever. I am not saying he is on their level, cause no one else is, but thats how u lead. Lots of players like Chauncy that r good, not Kobe good, lead their teams.

I'll agree with you there. But if the team is struggling, everybody will hate you for it and you lose respect. When the team is already doing good, players will listen and it can help get you to the next level. Kevin hasn't shown it yet and I'm hoping he will. The Kings just need better players and a new coach. Plain and simple.

Vinny642
02-24-2009, 04:14 AM
LOL TC was unstoppable with the alley oops :D
nice comeback

sacgiants1213
02-24-2009, 04:18 AM
not that hard to beat a team that is incapable of playing defense. Chander was wide open every time.

BigEric
02-24-2009, 01:48 PM
Blown assignments on D cost us that game. If the game were five minutes longer he might have had a chance. Martin would have gone off for 35 in the quarter!

nd4T.O.
02-24-2009, 02:05 PM
i like Kevin Martin and he went to my college...i think hes underated bc hes is on a low market bad team IMO

$KnicksAndKobe$
02-24-2009, 02:39 PM
Well on the Kings they'd have to guard all five of the other guys.

Puke, Kwame, Smush

NYKnickFanatic
02-24-2009, 02:45 PM
i like Kevin Martin and he went to my college...i think hes underated bc hes is on a low market bad team IMO

I dont think he is underrated at all. People know the kids name.

Missing56&33
02-24-2009, 02:45 PM
kmart is a beast to bad he couldn't play with the 2002 kings, start him and bring DC off the bench that would have been enough to win a championship, a couple of championships

what54!?
02-24-2009, 02:49 PM
dude is a beast. His team is just garbage in the western conference. Sucks.

theimortalone
02-24-2009, 06:08 PM
That is hella good! Props to him! :clap:

_Sn1P3r_
02-24-2009, 06:24 PM
dude is a beast. His team is just garbage in the western conference. Sucks.

Haha, yup.