PDA

View Full Version : Alex English, Sidney Moncrief, Bernard King

Kyle N.
02-24-2009, 12:25 AM
Now I wasn't around to see them play, but looking at their stats and acomplishments I wonder why we don't hear about these guys more.

GoatMilk
02-24-2009, 12:28 AM
3 of the most underrated players INDIVIDUALLY
however, they were always on losing teams and played in a decade with Magic, Kareem, Bird, Dr. J, Moses, Akeem, MJ, etc

RapToronto95
02-24-2009, 12:35 AM
I hear about Alex English a lot, just because he's the Raptor's assistant coach :p

Yes, he has accomplished a lot, but just does not get the recognition as the other big names do in the same era.

BoltLakerPadre
02-24-2009, 12:50 AM
English was a scoring machine, but winning is more important, so he kind of got swept under the rug.

That and basketball is an American sport, and the last name alone evokes images of a bowler out on a cricket pitch.

abe_froman
02-24-2009, 02:03 AM
English was a scoring machine, but winning is more important, so he kind of got swept under the rug.

That and basketball is an American sport, and the last name alone evokes images of a bowler out on a cricket pitch.

true but how can you be a winner when your expected to down the twin towers and showtime and your only help is kiki vandeweghe,to which when he retired the owner broke down and apologized for never putting a team around him and giving him a legit shot at winning

so in the case of alex: overshadowed by showtime
king:injury bug kept his brilliance shortened
and as for sidney:mil isnt exactly known as a media hub and spotlights

but yes all underrated much so

JordansBulls
02-24-2009, 09:23 AM
Now I wasn't around to see them play, but looking at their stats and acomplishments I wonder why we don't hear about these guys more.

Mainly because they played in the 80's and most of our posters were more than likely born at the time they were playing.

Hellcrooner
02-24-2009, 10:15 AM
I was lucky enough to watch King and English Play, Moncrief not so much...

They where Truly great, there was a moment Preinjury where King was right up there with Maqgic and bird fighting for the MVp.

Still all three are HOF worthy career.

What happens with them is 1 people in this forums is too young to know.

and 2, Lack of winning, if you dont win rings you go slowly into oblivion unles you have been in a dream team ( Stockton, Malone, Barkley) or did reach teh finals several times.

Its a rule of life, 30 years down the road there are many good players right now that wont be remembered as much or wont be known to 20- year olders like Iverson, Carter, T-Mac, Webber, Kidd etc etc....

Im SURE i dont really know very well some AWESOME 60s or 70s players because you never get stuff other in press or tv than those who won Rings or played finals, the Barrys, Hayes, Unselds etc.

Hellcrooner
02-24-2009, 10:18 AM
true but how can you be a winner when your expected to down the twin towers and showtime and your only help is kiki vandeweghe,to which when he retired the owner broke down and apologized for never putting a team around him and giving him a legit shot at winning

so in the case of alex: overshadowed by showtime
king:injury bug kept his brilliance shortened
and as for sidney:mil isnt exactly known as a media hub and spotlights

but yes all underrated much so

?????????

David Thompson, Michael Adams, Dan Issel, Vandeweghe, Fat Lever!!!!!

Nuggets had guns.

Kaze
02-24-2009, 11:44 AM
OMG i didnt know that alex english scored over 25,000 pts and was 12th on the nba scoring list in 2008

well considering the fact that he was the 23rd pick of the 2nd round ... he did alright.. :)

Missing56&33
02-24-2009, 12:57 PM
alex english and sidney moncrief are both assistant coaches somewhere and Bernard king was ambassador of public relations for the Brooklyn NBA team until he beat his gf up and now hes just chillin in Atl

bahama0811
02-24-2009, 12:58 PM
Alex English was a great player on very good teams. Over the years they've just become one of the forgotten teams.