PDA

View Full Version : The Under Appreciated Marcus Camby

mrblisterdundee
02-23-2009, 11:05 PM
This thread is meant to bring more attention to a player that has been vastly under appreciated over his career. Marcus Camby is one of the best defensive players ever; ever. He's one of the few players who has had a triple double with points, rebounds and blocked shots. Even at almost 35 years of age, there are few big men who can rebound and block better than him.

Despite being one of the best defensive centers ever, Camby has never even been selected for the all-star game. How does a multi-time defensive player of the year never get selected for the all-star game? It's infuriating. I don't care how good he or his team does next year. Marcus Camby should automatically be sent to next year's all-star game as a thank you for so many great defensive performances.

Jonathan2323
02-23-2009, 11:08 PM
are you serious?

still1ballin
02-23-2009, 11:10 PM
Ok?

JRisdabest
02-23-2009, 11:13 PM
hes a solid player:smoking:

VCaintdead17
02-23-2009, 11:15 PM
Marcus Camby plays basketball

Thats all I have to say

Mr_Peabody
02-23-2009, 11:21 PM
I actually agree. I dont see how a player can win defensive player of the year, and not be named to the all-star game. Its a joke.

TheFuture6
02-23-2009, 11:27 PM
Stats are over-rated guy..

Kakaroach
02-24-2009, 12:22 AM
Are you being serious right now? Defensive player of the year does not mean by any means that you are an All-Star lol. He's a great defender and rebounder, but he is not even close to an All-Star.

Arac
02-24-2009, 12:30 AM
All I know is that many allstars play horrible, dreadful D. If you excel in only one aspect of the game, and that aspect is offense, you will still get selected. to the All Star game. But if you excel only in defense, you will never be picked.

Marcus Camby is an excellent defender, and he should have played in at least one all star game.

kingkobe
02-24-2009, 12:54 AM
I'm not sure if he's that great of a "defender". He's what his stats show..a GREAT shot blocker and rebounder. His help defense sucks which is part of the reason why Denver wasn't as good on defense.

LakerzDQ
02-24-2009, 05:57 AM
All I know is that many allstars play horrible, dreadful D. If you excel in only one aspect of the game, and that aspect is offense, you will still get selected. to the All Star game. But if you excel only in defense, you will never be picked.

Marcus Camby is an excellent defender, and he should have played in at least one all star game.

I'd rather watch players score, than to watch players play defense. (in the allstar game, I mean. I want to see the Lakers play some defense)

mrblisterdundee
02-24-2009, 12:38 PM
are you serious?

Yes I'm serious you idiot. He's been the defensive player of the year multiple times. He should be named to at least one time to the all-star game. You don't win defensive player of the year for being mediocre.

mrblisterdundee
02-24-2009, 12:40 PM
Stats are over-rated guy..

If he's so overrated, then why did he win defensive player of the year multiple times? Maybe we should have left Garnett out of the all-star game when he won defensive player of the year.

bahama0811
02-24-2009, 12:42 PM
He was defensive player of the year with the Nuggs due to his blocking and rebounding ability. I wouldn't call him a great defensive player though. He's a soft post defender and just roams around a lot. I've always liked him but he's no great defender.

Missing56&33
02-24-2009, 12:43 PM
Camby is appreciated he just cant seem to stay healthy long enough to have on going success.

bahama0811
02-24-2009, 12:44 PM
If he's so overrated, then why did he win defensive player of the year multiple times? Maybe we should have left Garnett out of the all-star game when he won defensive player of the year.

By the way, he's only won the award once.

http://www.nba.com/history/awards_defensiveplayer.html

conway429
02-24-2009, 01:01 PM
While I agree he doesn't get much respect, and should probably have been an all-star once by now, calling him one of the best defensive players ever is beyond ridiculous...
He's only been on the NBA All-Defensive 1st team twice. He's never had anything close to post-season success. He can rebound, and being tall and lanky, he's pretty prototypical to be a shot blocker, but his actual defense is pretty unspectacular. I think you're disrespecting a lot of tremendous players by mentioning him at their level.

nyybronxborn
02-24-2009, 01:11 PM
^^ he is not at that level but he is one of the better defensive players in the game , and would love for him tobe on my team
it is a injustice that he doesnt get selected , but there are a lot of players you can say that about , jefferson this year is 1

masalex1205
02-24-2009, 01:21 PM
He was defensive player of the year with the Nuggs due to his blocking and rebounding ability. I wouldn't call him a great defensive player though. He's a soft post defender and just roams around a lot. I've always liked him but he's no great defender.

wow, really man?

bahama0811
02-24-2009, 01:25 PM
wow, really man?

Yeah, I'd call him a great shot blocker and a great rebounder. Watching him for the 5 1/2 years he was in Denver I saw him constantly out of position and giving up easy baskets. He'd roam around and get lost. That's just not my idea of a great defensive player.

colinskik
02-24-2009, 01:28 PM
He gets injured too much to be an all star. I'd still love for him to come back to NY though ... Donnie?

Faneik
02-24-2009, 01:35 PM
Are you being serious right now? Defensive player of the year does not mean by any means that you are an All-Star lol. He's a great defender and rebounder, but he is not even close to an All-Star.

well... it did for ben wallace

phoenix_bladen
02-24-2009, 01:55 PM
camby should have made it the past 2-3 years

the guy is a beast and if it wasn't for injuries in the early part of his career he would have been way better then he was.

he is very underrated i don't care what anyone says

phoenix_bladen
02-24-2009, 01:55 PM
he at least deserves to go to a contender not rot on the clippers

Joshtd1
02-24-2009, 03:26 PM
As people have said, he is a good weak side shot blocker, and rebounder. His man D(mainly the post) is pretty average.

cameroncrazies2
02-24-2009, 03:29 PM
Plus when you play on a bunch of teams your ENTIRE career that are sub-30 win teams, of course you're not going to get recognized, much the way Ricky Davis' career went.

bahama0811
02-24-2009, 03:31 PM
Plus when you play on a bunch of teams your ENTIRE career that are sub-30 win teams, of course you're not going to get recognized, much the way Ricky Davis' career went.

He played in Denver 5 1/2 years and made the playoffs every year. Those weren't sub-30 win teams.

keithm320
02-24-2009, 03:58 PM
He was on his way to the All-Star game in 2005-06 and would have been voted but got injured for a month before the game... Then the exact same thing happened the next year... He's a solid shot blocker and rebounder, but imo whenever you are drafted number 2 overall its hard to be underrated, but then again don't tell that to Durant