PDA

View Full Version : Why do we forget about Tim Duncan all the time?

twoearl
02-23-2009, 09:05 PM
I am guilty of this as well but why do we always forget about Tim Duncan. He is the greatest power forward of all time and at least top 15 players of all time and we forget he is alive sometimes.

Here are some reasons I think we dont show Duncan love at times.

His team. I am 500% sure if he played for LA, NY or Chicago he would be on 600 magazine covers a year and have 200 gatorade commercials. San Antonio is just not big enough to get our attention.

His style of play. He is the most fundamentally sound player EVER! A bank shot just dosent look cool on sportcenter so we rarely see his great play.

His emotion. He dosent have any. You may get a fist pump here and there but we love the screaming and chest bumps of Lebron or KG and Duncan just dosent do that.

His personality. He is a Legend, but I would stab myself if I had to ride next to him on an airplane. He has as much personality as a brick.

Can you think of anything else? It's a shame he is not more famous, he is a once in a lifetime type player.

JayW_1023
02-23-2009, 09:11 PM
People don't really believe me when I say that Duncan is actually one of the funniest guys in the league...he is also one of the most most humble and self depreciating athletes out there.

He just doesn't fit the profile of all these other popular athletes. He doesn't try to have a cool image for the MTV audiences or get himself in the media spotlight. He just goes and plays basketball, what he is paid to do.

GoatMilk
02-23-2009, 09:21 PM
The Spurs like don't let their players or anyone in the org do interviews and stuff. I was listening to the radio and they said they tried to get Pop and Duncan and Parker but they couldnt get any of them. Their public relations has something to do with it. Thats why these guys rarely get interviewed outside of a game. Maybe thats why he doesnt get the credit if he played in say NY or L.A.

Hawkeye15
02-23-2009, 09:55 PM
who forgets about Duncan??????? If you understand basketball, which I question on much of PSD, then you know he is arguably the greatest PF of all time. He has been paid accordingly, and has 4 rings. He may not make ESPN highlights, but does anyone really care about that? I am borderine sick of hearing how he gets no respect. Ask the players who the best low post player is.

lakers4sho
02-23-2009, 10:07 PM
I haven't forgotten about Timmy.

I guess others have :shrug:

MTone8788
02-23-2009, 10:16 PM
His personality. He is a Legend, but I would stab myself if I had to ride next to him on an airplane. He has as much personality as a brick.

LMAO, how would you know? Do you hang out with him? Do you know him?

I think it's so funny when people post on here about players like they know them.

jrodmesche
02-23-2009, 10:17 PM
beacuase hes a boring player

still1ballin
02-23-2009, 10:58 PM
Yeah he is just too boring for me.

KnicksorBust
02-23-2009, 11:21 PM
Everyone knows how great he is so I disagree with this thread. Especially saying he has the personality of a brick? That's just ignorant because you have no idea what he's like in person.

camador22
02-23-2009, 11:27 PM
In this era there have been 3 players that are considered in the top 10 greatest of all time and thats MJ, Shaq and Duncan.

1. MJ
2. Bird
3. Kareem
4. Magic
5. Wilt
6. Russell
7. Hakeem
8. Shaq
9. Duncan
10 The big O

MTone8788
02-23-2009, 11:45 PM
10 The big O

Othella Harrington? He is pretty great.

JordansBulls
02-23-2009, 11:47 PM
I am guilty of this as well but why do we always forget about Tim Duncan. He is the greatest power forward of all time and at least top 15 players of all time and we forget he is alive sometimes.

Here are some reasons I think we dont show Duncan love at times.

His team. I am 500% sure if he played for LA, NY or Chicago he would be on 600 magazine covers a year and have 200 gatorade commercials. San Antonio is just not big enough to get our attention.

His style of play. He is the most fundamentally sound player EVER! A bank shot just dosent look cool on sportcenter so we rarely see his great play.

His emotion. He dosent have any. You may get a fist pump here and there but we love the screaming and chest bumps of Lebron or KG and Duncan just dosent do that.

Can you think of anything else? It's a shame he is not more famous, he is a once in a lifetime type player.

Because he is not exciting. Basketball is supposed to be an exciting sport so if you are not that exciting of a player you tend to get neglected.

what54!?
02-23-2009, 11:48 PM
Timmy D doesn't want the spotlight. He's getting paid millions do do what he loves, why would he complain?

Kyle N.
02-23-2009, 11:55 PM
If he ran around banging his chest after every shot he'd get a lot more attention.

Kakaroach
02-24-2009, 12:12 AM
Okay oh I don't know what people are complaining about. After all, he is almost always an All-Star starter and is usually in the MVP talk.

ugafan
02-24-2009, 12:13 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3VrVCH59Dg&feature=related

Yeah, **** Joey Crawford!

Lindystud36
02-24-2009, 12:18 AM
he is the derek jeter of basketball

ugafan
02-24-2009, 12:25 AM

No he's not.

Not even ****ing close.

SJSHARKIES
02-24-2009, 12:26 AM
I don't know why either, I feel the same why you do. DUNCAN is the greatest PF of all-time. The guys won 3 championships during the Shaq and Kobe era. When Shaq was the most dominant center in the history of the NBA not the Shaq nowadays. Timmy took Shaq to school, I'd like to see Garnett do that. People always seem to overlook him, probably because he goes about his job so quitely.

SJSHARKIES
02-24-2009, 12:27 AM
No he's not.

Not even ****ing close.

I agree that's disrespectful, Duncan is the Albert Pujols of baseball. There that sounds a lot better.

GSW fan
02-24-2009, 12:34 AM
stale

MossIsBoss
02-24-2009, 12:42 AM
Because he's not flashy, he's efficient. Plus the spurs aren't exciting, but they get it done.

BoltLakerPadre
02-24-2009, 12:45 AM
Othella Harrington? He is pretty great.

hahahaha

BoltLakerPadre
02-24-2009, 12:47 AM
What do you mean "we" paleface?

I haven't forgotten about Timmy, I give him all the props in the world. I still remember how heartbroken I was when he made that ridiculous sideways fading, Shaq defended shot against the Laker's in the playoffs in '04. The one that eventually lead to the even more amazing .04 by Fisher. Sure some people forget about him, until they have to play him that is.

Raidaz4Life
02-24-2009, 12:47 AM
Because Malone is the greatest PF of all time NOT DUNCAN! why do people forget about Karl Freaking Malone!!!:mad::mad::mad:

BoltLakerPadre
02-24-2009, 12:48 AM
In this era there have been 3 players that are considered in the top 10 greatest of all time and thats MJ, Shaq and Duncan.

1. MJ
2. Bird
3. Kareem
4. Magic
5. Wilt
6. Russell
7. Hakeem
8. Shaq
9. Duncan
10 The big O

Bird above both Kareem and Magic? Haha. I still don't know who I would put higher, Magic because of his pure talent, and how fun he made the game, or KAJ for his talent mixed with his longevity. But both would be above Bird.

KobeIs
02-24-2009, 01:07 AM
I think it because most of the basketball population aren't true fans like many of us. If you asked a person that watches games on and off to name the best 5 players in the league then I'm pretty sure only half of those ppl would mention duncan.

But from the polls that are normally conducted here on the boards, many of us recognize duncan.

And I think duncan is the greatest pf ever, and the proof is his jewelry collection

nstachowski
02-24-2009, 01:08 AM

No he's not...Terrible analogy

nstachowski
02-24-2009, 01:10 AM
I agree that's disrespectful, Duncan is the Albert Pujols of baseball. There that sounds a lot better.

THAT is a great analogy

JJ_JKidd
02-24-2009, 05:59 AM
Tim Duncan? Well I dont forget him and his achievements even if this forum is all about "unproven" players Durant especially. I am just loving to diss Durant now that I know that a lot of posers here consider him as the 2nd best SF.

Timmy Duncan- multiple times Champ, MVP, no emotion whatsoever on the floor just does his thing night-in-night-out. Boring? Yes but who cares, he has 3 rings people 3 freakin rings and "more exciting to watch players" dont got nothing to show!!!!

JJ81
02-24-2009, 07:31 AM

So I assume you've met him and had conversations in person with him? How do you know what his personality is like? You're just assuming.

He does get the credit he deserves, he just isn't as popular as Kobe, Shaq, LeBron, Wade etc. because he's not about the amazing plays

JayW_1023
02-24-2009, 10:24 AM
Still, Pau Gasol and Dirk aren't flashy either but also awesome to watch. They aren't any more colorful as Duncan.

Duncans footwork in the low post is as much a thing of beauty as Pau Gasols court awareness in the high post and Dirk nailing contested fadeaways like it's nothing.

hotdogbun
02-24-2009, 11:11 AM
who the hell said that i or anyone forget about duncan?

lakers4sho
02-24-2009, 11:18 AM
Still, Pau Gasol and Dirk aren't falshy either but also awesome to watch. They aren't any more colorful as Duncan.

Duncans footwork in the low post is as much a thing of beauty as Pau Gasols court awareness in the high post and Dirk nailing contested fadeaways like it's nothing.

:nod:

Less and less big men in the NBA have the necessary footwork to dominate the paint, especially those who came out from high school.

Al Jeff is of course an exception. Bynum's getting there.

Hawkeye15
02-24-2009, 12:22 PM
Bird above both Kareem and Magic? Haha. I still don't know who I would put higher, Magic because of his pure talent, and how fun he made the game, or KAJ for his talent mixed with his longevity. But both would be above Bird.

Kareem is behind Bird in my book dude.

NJrockPD
02-24-2009, 12:31 PM
He's not flashy, in his game or his personality. He doesn't throw powder before games, or get in fights, he just plays hard and wins.

CHief_0_o_Wahoo
02-24-2009, 12:34 PM
I don't like going up against him, but I do love watching him play.

mrblisterdundee
02-24-2009, 12:43 PM
We forget about him because he's in a small market, and there's so many other attention whores in the NBA already.

mrblisterdundee
02-24-2009, 12:45 PM
Kareem is behind Bird in my book dude.

Your book is racist, because there is no possibility that Bird is better than Kareem. I'm white, and even I know that Bird is just good for a white guy in a black-dominated sport.

ElMarroAfamado
02-24-2009, 12:47 PM
cause nobody cares about him
and it gets annoying when people say he is the "best" of anything
its like people just jump the "he is the best of of all time"
bandwagon
"ah **** it it will make it seem like if i know about basketball if i say this so i will..."

Missing56&33
02-24-2009, 12:52 PM
TD is just so consistently good, you know what your going to get every night. Im glad the knicks only play him twice a year

The Ooh Child
02-24-2009, 12:52 PM
I do think Tim Duncan could be more like a Peyton Manning type of media figure. But I kinda respect the fact that Tim Duncan doesn't seem very concerned with being a celebrity. Everyone knows he is a good guy, and he is an amazing player.

Drtino
02-24-2009, 01:36 PM
He's the quiet and calm type... but everyone knows who he is and how valuable he is for his team...

No one forgets him... It's like comparing Jordan and Ewing ... Jordan will always overshadow Ewing, but Ewing was one of the main reasons why the Knicks were a tough and elite team of the East during his years(I am not discussing rings, just acknowledgement)...

Kyle916
02-24-2009, 03:54 PM
Nobody forgets Tim Duncan...

td0tsfinest
02-24-2009, 05:02 PM

I don't know about that, he has said some funny things. Sure he doesn't yell or wag his finger at the opponent point guard's face but that who he is on the court.

And maybe its just you, but I never forget about Tim Duncan. He is the best PF in the league and IMO the best player in the league for kids to idolize. But a guy like him is never appreciated among kids but he is praised by the experienced.

abe_froman
02-24-2009, 05:08 PM
i forget about tim? news to me

Jaji
02-24-2009, 05:08 PM
Who could ever forget "Big Fun"?

JayW_1023
02-25-2009, 09:19 AM
I actually believe it's Tony Parker we forget all the time. We all talk about CP3, Deron, Rondo, Nash, Billups and Rose...

But Parker is as good as any of them when on...as he proved last night against Dallas.