PDA

View Full Version : Reload or Rebuild

JordansBulls
02-23-2009, 01:53 PM
When is it time to do either or?

What I mean is that a lot of times you tend to hear that a team is no longer a title contender even though they are still good and people say that they need to rebuild. People have been suggesting that about the Pistons, Mavs, and Suns and even Heat. However, is it simply a matter of rebuilding the entire team or just reloading with some more talent?

IMO any team with a star player in place just needs some more ammo on the team and any team with 2 stars in place has no need to rebuild but just needs to get more role players. I think Rebuilding only applies once your star player is old and will be gone in the next 2-3 years.

So let's take a few teams for example:

Dallas (star player in Dirk Nowitzki and another allstar type player in Josh Howard). Surrounded by fairly good role players in Terry and now Kidd. Dampier at Center with another legit PF in Bass.

So in the case of Dallas to me they just seem like they need to reload for the next 3-4 years not rebuild.

Phoenix (Star players in Amare and Nash) and fairly good role players in Shaq (now), JRich, Barbosa, etc.

Seems to me that they just need to reload as well.

Detroit (Star Player in Iverson and Wallace) and fairly good role players in Rip, Tay, Stuckey, Mcdyess, etc

Seems like another team that just needs to reload.

Rockets (Star player in Yao) a former star in Mcgrady and good players in Artest, Battier, Brooks, etc.

Do they need to reload or rebuild as well?

What are your thoughts, do those teams need to rebuild or just reload?

what54!?
02-23-2009, 02:03 PM
If Dallas doesn't get out of the first round this year this need to rebuild or reload around dirk. The Kidd trade closed their window a lot.

I'm not so sure about the suns yet but it the same thing may apply to them too if they don't get out of the first round (or even make it too the playoffs).

Detroit is pretty much already starting to semi-rebuild with A.I. and Sheed's expiring contracts.

The Rockets just need to reload the team around Yao. Mcgrady will never be the same player.

The wizards should think about rebuilding. Even if they get arenas back they won't do too much.

IndyRealist
02-23-2009, 02:18 PM
Dallas: Rebuild. Keep Dirk and Bass, get the payroll down to a moderate size and surround them with young players. I'm not sold on Howard, he disappears when they need him. Kidd's got a year or two left, as does Terry. Dampier and Diop are vastly overpaid for what they do.

Phoenix: Reload. They just need to stop trading away their bench and draft picks, and they'll be fine. I give Nash three to four more years in the league. Let Shaq expire, pick up a defensive rebounder to compliment Amar'e, and a SF who can hit open jumpers.

Detriot: Rebuild. AI's not staying, Rasheed isn't staying. I think they would have been better off keeping Billups and phasing out Wallace, and they could have reloaded. But the trade's already done, they're stuck rebuilding.

Houston: Reload. Drop Artest, trade McGrady, and bring in 3pt shooters. Focus the team around Yao, Scola, Battier, Landry, and Brooks. Fire Alderman and go back to playing inside out, defense first. Their key acquisition this offseason would be a SG who shoots the 3 and isn't afraid of taking a crucial shot if open, and plays D. Raja Bell.

DirkIsTheBest
02-23-2009, 02:22 PM
Diop is not in Dallas Mavericks , he was traded to charlotte !

JordansBulls
02-23-2009, 03:23 PM
Dallas: Rebuild. Keep Dirk and Bass, get the payroll down to a moderate size and surround them with young players. I'm not sold on Howard, he disappears when they need him. Kidd's got a year or two left, as does Terry. Dampier and Diop are vastly overpaid for what they do.

Phoenix: Reload. They just need to stop trading away their bench and draft picks, and they'll be fine. I give Nash three to four more years in the league. Let Shaq expire, pick up a defensive rebounder to compliment Amar'e, and a SF who can hit open jumpers.

Detriot: Rebuild. AI's not staying, Rasheed isn't staying. I think they would have been better off keeping Billups and phasing out Wallace, and they could have reloaded. But the trade's already done, they're stuck rebuilding.

Houston: Reload. Drop Artest, trade McGrady, and bring in 3pt shooters. Focus the team around Yao, Scola, Battier, Landry, and Brooks. Fire Alderman and go back to playing inside out, defense first. Their key acquisition this offseason would be a SG who shoots the 3 and isn't afraid of taking a crucial shot if open, and plays D. Raja Bell.

Why do they need to drop Artest?

I actually think their lineup they have now with Brooks, Battier, Artest, Scola and Yao is good enough. That is a solid defensive team and is like a 2004 Pistons team but with a superstar in Yao and better defender at SG.

Lo Porto
02-23-2009, 03:33 PM
Dallas could get better in a hurry. Imagine next year when Kidd does the classy thing and re-signs for less than the midlevel which would open up at least $15 million compared to this year. If Dallas could add one more great player with that money or a trade, then they could be back near the top. Dallas will be able to trade Stackhouse's expiring deal this summer to a team trying to open up money for 2010.

IndyRealist
02-23-2009, 03:37 PM
Why do they need to drop Artest?

I actually think their lineup they have now with Brooks, Battier, Artest, Scola and Yao is good enough. That is a solid defensive team and is like a 2004 Pistons team but with a superstar in Yao and better defender at SG.

Artest is a volume shooter and fairly inaccurate, much like McGrady. I'm a proponent of them going back to inside-out basketball, it plays to their strengths but also means that they will get very few possessions. They will need someone who can shoot at better than his 40% FG. Luis Scola has taken 70 less shots than Artest in 13 more games and has only scored 4pts less, total, all year. The Rockets will need to be efficient.

They can choose to keep Artest, and it wouldn't be a mistake. But if someone like Raja Bell, who plays almost as good of defense has resurged offensively, would be a better fit. Bell is also a team player who doesn't have an ego to speak of.

JordansBulls
02-23-2009, 03:41 PM
Artest is a volume shooter and fairly inaccurate, much like McGrady. I'm a proponent of them going back to inside-out basketball, it plays to their strengths but also means that they will get very few possessions. They will need someone who can shoot at better than his 40% FG. Luis Scola has taken 70 less shots than Artest in 13 more games and has only scored 4pts less, total, all year. The Rockets will need to be efficient.

They can choose to keep Artest, and it wouldn't be a mistake. But if someone like Raja Bell, who plays almost as good of defense has resurged offensively, would be a better fit. Bell is also a team player who doesn't have an ego to speak of.

But they will also need more scoring. If you have Bell and Battier as your SG and SF, where are they going to get scoring from other than Yao?

IndyRealist
02-23-2009, 05:03 PM
Bell's at 11ppg right now, at 45% FG and 40% 3pt. He could easily be up at 14-15ppg with Yao getting him open, which isn't a big drop off from Artest. And he's more efficient.

Plus, playing half court they'd be down around 97-98ppg and hopefully only allowing about 92ppg. Yao would be back around 22ppg, Scola would probably stay around 12, and assuming Aaron Brooks, Von Wafer, and Carl Landry don't regress they're good for around 10ppg each. With Raja Bell's 14ish ppg and Shane Battier's 7, that's 85ppg meaning that they would need around 13ppg from the rest of the team combined to hit the target of 98. That's assuming no offensive progress from any of their three young players, and only 7 of your 9 man rotation.

Lakersfan2483
02-23-2009, 06:41 PM
Houston- Reload
Dallas- Reload
Phx-Rebuild
Detroit-Reload

Dallas has Dirk, what they should do is surround him with a better center (defensive center) down low and upgrade their bench. They also need a better starting shooting guard, who can defend.

Detroit- Let both Sheed and Iverson walk after this year (keep Sheed if he's willing to take less) and add a low post player and continue to develop Stuckey at the point. Make a push for Chris Bosh or Amare.

Phx.-They need to start rebuilding through the draft, trades and free agency. Shaq's contract situation hurts them for the next 2 yrs...

Houston-They have Artest, Yao, and Battier, now it's time to address the T-Mac situation, they have to get rid of him.... If T-mac can't recover from this surgery, it's time to call it quits.

HOZ THE KNICK
02-23-2009, 06:45 PM
quick fixes never work or less your the celtics.