PDA

View Full Version : Even though Detroit is finished right now, they've still accomplished a lot

JordansBulls
02-23-2009, 11:16 AM
They have been to the conference finals for 6 years in a row, won a NBA championship and mangaged to get to the finals another time to take the team that won it all 7 games.

Any other team in the league would have loved to have that amount of success the past 6 years or even 10 years.

BkOriginalOne
02-23-2009, 11:38 AM
Detroit can rebuild nicely around Stuckey, hamilton and prince. The cap space they will have after Sheed and AI come offs off the books will put them into position to snag a nice big. Maybe boozer, they should make a play for Elton Brand.

GodsSon
02-23-2009, 11:46 AM
ya thats a nice resume...but being such a dominant team for that many years and only winning it all once has to suck...imo, as good as they were, that group underachieved

69centers
02-23-2009, 11:48 AM
Detroit can rebuild nicely around Stuckey, hamilton and prince. The cap space they will have after Sheed and AI come offs off the books will put them into position to snag a nice big. Maybe boozer, they should make a play for Elton Brand.

With how Elton was a bust in Philly, would anyone want him and his huge paycheck? He's always hurt!

JordansBulls
02-23-2009, 11:53 AM
ya thats a nice resume...but being such a dominant team for that many years and only winning it all once has to suck...imo, as good as they were, that group underachieved

Not sure they underachieved by any means.

Think of it this way. When was the last time a team made the conference finals at least 5 years in a row?

NYKnickFanatic
02-23-2009, 12:05 PM
Im just curious, but why are they finished?

IndyRealist
02-23-2009, 12:09 PM
Brand's been hurt last year and this year. I don't think that qualifies as "always hurt" for a player who's been in the league 10 years and averages 20 and 10 for his career. His value is low and his contract is high, you could give 25 cents on the dollar and snag him this offseason. I'd love for the Pacers to acquire him. Indiana plays uptempo as well, but the difference is that they stockpiled outside shooters, where Philly has athletic slashers.

But that's way off topic. Almost every team in the league envies Detroit's success the last six years. Except for San Antonio, who's had more sustained success? The Lakers only started coming on last year, as did the Celtics. The Cavs the last three years. The Magic have only been serious contenders this year. Only the Pistons and Spurs have had any sustained success in the last decade.

cjags77
02-23-2009, 12:32 PM
I'm a pistons fan and this season is a huge dissapointment. However, I dont believe that Carlos Boozer could fix our problems and especially not Elton Brand. The Pistons have a very tough schedule coming up so I figured out the perfect solution. We should just tank the rest of the season and get a good draft pick. Also I think we will have problems if Stuckey is our main piece for the future. I hate him. He is such a ball hog, what happen to point guards passing the ball. I think we need to tank next season as well and go for 2 great fa in 2010. Finally the pistons need to fire Curry ASAP! He is the main reseaon why we are losing. He could be a good coach just not with the pisonts. We needed a veteran coach not some new guy who doesnt know how to control a team. Avery Johnson would have been the perfect fit because he has gotten his team to the finals. The Pistons have been good for a long time but we are in deep trouble.

JordansBulls
02-23-2009, 01:03 PM
Im just curious, but why are they finished?

They are not elite anymore in the east.

still1ballin
02-23-2009, 02:15 PM
They have been to the conference finals for 6 years in a row, won a NBA championship and mangaged to get to the finals another time to take the team that won it all 7 games.

Any other team in the league would have loved to have that amount of success the past 6 years or even 10 years.

Who is saying they are finished? You are speaking way too early amigo. That is why its a 82 game season and they are in a weak E/C. They can figure out the problem and turn it on and start winning again. Anything can happen.

GodsSon
02-23-2009, 05:37 PM
Not sure they underachieved by any means.

Think of it this way. When was the last time a team made the conference finals at least 5 years in a row?

and thats impressive, but the point of playing is to win the title...so i'll stick with my underachieving tag

thesparky33
02-23-2009, 05:54 PM
I've been saying this for a while now. It really surprises me to hear people say that the Pistons underachieved by winning ONLY one championship. With it being so rare and special to win a championship, isnt that enough? Then add the fact that they got so so close to winning a second consecutive one the year after? Then add the fact that since, they havent missed a conference Finals? How is that underachieving?

I'd love nothing more than that for my own team, personally. Of course you'd want as many championships as possible, but come on, be realistic.

Lakersfan2483
02-23-2009, 06:17 PM

Imagine the type of success Detroit would have had if they had drafted Carmelo Anthony and kept Larry Brown as their coach. I believe the franchise has had a lot of success, but those 2 mistakes may have cost them a 2nd or even 3rd title. Joe Dumars has been let off the hook for his drafting of Milicic over Melo, why would anyone do something like that???

Potential Larry Brown coached team of:

PG-Billups/Stuckey
SG-Rip Hamilton/Afflalo
Sf-Carmelo/Prince
PF-Mcdyess/Maxiell
C-Sheed

durtee
02-23-2009, 06:32 PM
It was a great run that is on it's way down. I really don't think they will be down for very long, they still have a ton of talent and now are going to have a ton of cap space to bring in young talent. I definitely don't think that they underachieved and think it is pretty ludicrous to say. Winning NBA championships is hard and dynasty's are usual full of HOF's, arguably the Pistons didn't have 1 during this run. Nobody gave them a chance to beat the Lakers in 04 and they were one Kobe 3 at the buzzer away from sweeping them. Then the next year they take the Spurs 7 games....some believe if the Pistons had home court that they would have won that series. The Celtics went out and got 3 HOFers to get by the Pistons. DWade and Shaq had to pair up in order to get by the Pistons and of course the Cavs have been getting better and better. Actually it is pretty ignorant to say that they underachieved.

durtee
02-23-2009, 06:34 PM
Imagine the type of success Detroit would have had if they had drafted Carmelo Anthony and kept Larry Brown as their coach. I believe the franchise has had a lot of success, but those 2 mistakes may have cost them a 2nd or even 3rd title. Joe Dumars has been let off the hook for his drafting of Milicic over Melo, why would anyone do something like that???

Potential Larry Brown coached team of:

PG-Billups/Stuckey
SG-Rip Hamilton/Afflalo
Sf-Carmelo/Prince
PF-Mcdyess/Maxiell
C-Sheed

Yeah it sucks looking back and seeing that we could have had Bosh, Melo or DWade, but it's also easy to look back and judge now. Joe D knew that he had a great young talent in Tayshaun and an aging big man in Ben Wallace, so he decided to go with a big man that was supposed to be a terrific talent that he could develop over time. Every team has draft regrets and that's a big one for the Pistons.

Lakersfan2483
02-23-2009, 06:46 PM
Yeah it sucks looking back and seeing that we could have had Bosh, Melo or DWade, but it's also easy to look back and judge now. Joe D knew that he had a great young talent in Tayshaun and an aging big man in Ben Wallace, so he decided to go with a big man that was supposed to be a terrific talent that he could develop over time. Every team has draft regrets and that's a big one for the Pistons.

Man, I forgot he passed on Bosh, Melo and Wade for Darko.:speechless:

Missing56&33
02-23-2009, 06:58 PM

I agree, I thought they was the most boring team in the history of the league but they were effective. Dumars should have kept that team together, I think they would have found a way to win another championship. Lets not forget about the draft blunder that let Carmelo get away.

GunFactor187
02-23-2009, 07:00 PM
The moment we declined was when Benedict Wallace decided to take that Chicago Bulls offer. **** YOU PAXSON!!!!!!

BranWingss
02-23-2009, 07:29 PM
I can't belive there record so far,I thought they'd finish 2nd in the EAST. Since the Billups trade this team is going down hill

Kakaroach
02-23-2009, 07:45 PM
They have accomplished a lot. Probably the most successful franchise this century. And to think now they could potentially be out of the playoffs...

GSW fan
02-23-2009, 08:08 PM

yep. like the warriors drafting joe smith over kg

or sam boey(i know i spelt that wrong) over jordan

thesparky33
02-24-2009, 12:42 PM
People dont realize that although drafting Wade/Melo/Bosh over Darko would have been a better pick, it wouldnt have necessarily been the same team plus Wade/Melo/Bosh.

If they would have had Melo, they probably wouldnt have felt a need to trade for Rasheed Wallace in the middle of the season, and the trade for Sheed was what put them over the top. Before the Sheed trade, they werent really dominant, but once they got Sheed, they went on a crazy run, and he definitely was the last piece of the puzzle. I dont think they win the 2004 championship if they draft Melo/Wade/Bosh.

But then again, who is to say that they dont win a championship in later years with Billups, Hamilton, (Melo/Wade/Bosh), Prince, and Ben Wallace?

SeoulBeatz
02-24-2009, 01:13 PM
The Pistons in no way shape or form underachieved.

they were probably the most consistent/dominating force in the east over the past decade. No one ever wanted to play DEEETROIT in the playoffs.

They are struggling now but i put that on the coaching and lack of intensity by their players. I originally thought it was A.I's fault but after watching 5-6 Pistons games over the past few weeks it seems to me that its the coaching that has doomed this team.

they dont run any plays, period. If anything, stuckey should be on the bench with A.I and Rip starting. Stuckey isnt ready from what ive seen, he is EXTREMELY talented, but his IQ and Shot need polishing ASAP if he wants to lead this team right now.

I can see Rasheed, Rip, McDysse and AI being gone after this year leaving them with a decent nucleus of Rodney, Maxiell, Prince, Amir Johnson, and Afflalo.

BUt they will have a boatload of cap room and i figure they will pick some players up via trade or free agency.

I could see them going after boozer cus he fits their halfcourt mold.
I think theyll probably pick up a young SG during the offseason. Possibly Von Wafer. NBADraft has the PIstons picking up Stephen curry in the draft so ill go with that. I think he would be a great fit and spark off the bench. A more grounded Ben Gordon with more consistent touch.

Pistons 09-10 lineup COULD be:

PG: Rodney Stuckey/ Juan Dixon
SG: Von Wafer/ Stephen Curry
SF: Tayshaun Prince/ Aaron Afflalo
PF: Carlos Boozer or Jason Maxiell
C: Amir Johnson/ Kwame Brown

pretty good potential in the roster no doubt. Another team with no true superstars but 2 allstars in Tayshaun and Boozer and lots of young players, some of whom i believe could develope into allstars eventually

Lionpride87
02-24-2009, 02:31 PM
It's hard to break up a dynasty and eventually rebuild a team without being mediocre at some point. I think we could be better this year if we had another coach but there aren't too many good coaching candidates out there. So we'll have to put up with an unsuccessful season this year (unless we turn it on) and probably next. This would potentially give us a couple more good young players on our team through the draft. And we'll also have the caproom to try and lure one or two of those top free agents come 2010. And yes darko was a bust but in a way we got stuckey out of it. Remember, we traded darko and carlos arroyo to the magic for a first round draft pick and kelvin cato, then we used that pick to draft stuckey. I think we'll be title contenders in a few years.

Big Zo
02-24-2009, 04:34 PM

Are you kidding??? That's gotta be the most overachieving group of all time.

Kakaroach
02-24-2009, 05:41 PM
I still think the unit the Pistons had would have had another chance at a title. They should have kept Billups this year and developed Stuckey instead of forcing the starting role on him.