PDA

View Full Version : Getting Pissed With the Word OVERRATED

JJ_JKidd
02-22-2009, 11:26 PM
Seems that there has been some abuse of the word overrated in this forum. I mean people use it all the time and cant even define it. I expect to get few replies in this thread because people cant just define overrated.

For some, overrated=hate :clap:

Here are the definitions for overrate/overrated

1. overvalue something: to regard somebody as better or more capable, or something as greater, than is in fact the case (Encarta)

2. to rate, assess, or estimate too highly (http://www.yourdictionary.com/overrate)

So where does Phil Jackson or Iverson fit in these 2, or all the definitions of overrated in response to the threads in the main forum refering to them as such?

For me? In the NBA context I define overrated as "someone who is highly regarded, called with so many as "the next," etc even if he has yet to prove something such as lead his team to the playoffs, conference finals, NBA Finals or NBA Championship.

So for me Kevin Durant is overrated!!!. He is like a GOD for some posters since the All-Star break WOW. I bet that thin guy will never win anything except that All-Star Rook-Soph MVP. Quote me.

IRUAM #21
02-22-2009, 11:38 PM
Being overrated is so overrated

Raidaz4Life
02-22-2009, 11:38 PM
This thread is EXTREMELY overrated

still1ballin
02-22-2009, 11:40 PM
Fail

JJ_JKidd
02-22-2009, 11:43 PM
See you give such 6th grader-like responses.

NYKnickFanatic
02-22-2009, 11:45 PM
See you give such 6th grader-like responses.

I know, but those comments they left are so overrated. :D

LAcowBOMBER
02-23-2009, 02:30 AM
Your definition of overrated is just wrong. You seem to be saying in the NBA context it means unproven. A player could lead a team into the playoffs an still be overrated. Overrated means that a player is considered better thn they actually are, its not difficult.

And Durant will win some scoring titles and get many all-start appearances and you can quote me on that

shonk688
02-23-2009, 02:39 AM
JJ_JKidd you are so OVERRATED!!!!!!:moon:

JLynn943
02-23-2009, 02:44 AM
to be overrated, you've got to have is people actually talking about you. I could say Michael Redd is the most overrated player in the league, but pretty much nobody would agree with me because no one hypes him up.

cambovenzi
02-23-2009, 03:19 AM
Being overrated is so overrated

the word overrated is overrated.
its all a matter of opinion.
who is a guy being overrated by?
maybe someone else rates him lower, then he is UNDERrated.

i think its funny that when someone calls a guy overrated, and people try to list all the ways that the player is good. its almost proving his point that the player is overrated.

IDB Josh M
02-23-2009, 03:38 AM
I never thought about it, but I think Steve Nash and Allen Iverson are overrated. At least AI was able to bring the Sixers to the NBA finals, but Steve Nash couldn't get out of the Conference finals. What does he have to show? Two MVP awards, and not much else. You know what I called him in 2006? The Great White Hype.

Hellcrooner
02-23-2009, 03:44 AM
Stats are overated and specially score stats " with no looking into fg %", this leads to hyping the wrong guys, and the worst thing it takes MORE than a decade of Failing as TEAM PLAYERS for people tounderstand those palyers werent so great to start with.....yeah Fab Cousins im talking bout you TWO :p

Faneik
02-23-2009, 06:00 AM
This thread is EXTREMELY overrated

I agree, and so is the OP.

Btw, Jason Kidd is overrated.

Duncan = Donkey
02-23-2009, 06:29 AM
I never thought about it, but I think Steve Nash and Allen Iverson are overrated. At least AI was able to bring the Sixers to the NBA finals, but Steve Nash couldn't get out of the Conference finals. What does he have to show? Two MVP awards, and not much else. You know what I called him in 2006? The Great White Hype.

lol, every player in the league wish they had back to back MVP's. only been done 3 times in history, correct me if im wrong.

not much to show eh.:rolleyes: give me a break

nstachowski
02-23-2009, 06:47 AM
This thread is definitely overrated

Mrphilly
02-23-2009, 08:03 AM
Seems that there has been some abuse of the word overrated in this forum. I mean people use it all the time and cant even define it. I expect to get few replies in this thread because people cant just define overrated.

For some, overrated=hate :clap:

Here are the definitions for overrate/overrated

1. overvalue something: to regard somebody as better or more capable, or something as greater, than is in fact the case (Encarta)

2. to rate, assess, or estimate too highly (http://www.yourdictionary.com/overrate)

So where does Phil Jackson or Iverson fit in these 2, or all the definitions of overrated in response to the threads in the main forum refering to them as such?

For me? In the NBA context I define overrated as "someone who is highly regarded, called with so many as "the next," etc even if he has yet to prove something such as lead his team to the playoffs, conference finals, NBA Finals or NBA Championship.

So for me Kevin Durant is overrated!!!. He is like a GOD for some posters since the All-Star break WOW. I bet that thin guy will never win anything except that All-Star Rook-Soph MVP. Quote me.

U almost had a point, until u said something dumb like that. Durant will be in this league for about 15 more years and you can guarantee he wont win anything.

What and idiotic statement. Scoring stats doesnt tell the whole story, but this skinny kid can score with the best of them, he rebounds well and he will only get better. Not to mention, the talent around him will get better.

Durant is a great player and you are(wait for it)...Overrated!!!!!!!!!!!!!

magichatnumber9
02-23-2009, 08:16 AM
Phil Jackson is not overrated, its just so sad that he is hanging around all this time just so he can surpass Reds championship record. Phil is still a good coach but he is no Red.

EX-TREME
02-23-2009, 09:19 AM
JJ_JKidd you are so OVERRATED!!!!!!:moon:

:clap: