PDA

View Full Version : Rotation May Get Even Better

JMDTM
02-22-2009, 09:44 PM
LAKELAND, Fla. -- Most pitchers' sessions can be judged off the reactions they get from hitters. With Dontrelle Willis, his positive faces on the mound Saturday were a reflection of his arm.
Whether it was a nod of the head, a point of the glove or an encouraging word from his mouth, Willis' mannerisms spoke to how well he was pitching Saturday morning. He'll do some of those things on bad pitches, as he showed at times last year, but he didn't have many such times to test him on this day. The hitters who stepped into the box to face him backed him up.
One such hitter, Brandon Inge, called it the best he has seen Willis since he joined the Tigers a year ago. So did manager Jim Leyland, who watched the session.
"I'm sure Dontrelle walked off there today feeling pretty good about himself," Leyland said. "And he should."

By all reports, Willis has been throwing well since he arrived here last month. Until Saturday, however, all of that had been just throwing to the catcher without anyone in the batters box as an opponent.

In these early sessions, the hitter mainly serves as a reference point for a strike zone. It didn't take Willis long to hone in on it.

"I accomplished what I thought about last night, what I wanted to do," Willis said. "I wanted to throw everything in the zone and try to make them hit everything. I feel like I was around the zone. When I did miss, I was able to make adjustments accordingly. I just want to have them hitting the ball, and with the type of defense we have, I really think that's in my favor to do that. That's all I wanted to do in this batting practice."

That's part of the day-to-day approach he's taking during camp -- thinking about what he wants to accomplish the night before, then trying to get there in the morning. The next day, he's on to a new goal. That approach, he believes, helps his focus when he takes the mound.

"Just win the day," Willis said. "Take whatever you can into tomorrow and continue to work. Go off of that every day. I feel like I accomplished what I wanted to do, mechanically."

The delivery was much like what he has done so far in camp -- still bringing up his leg high, but more subdued motion overall, and more control. Once he felt comfortable, he said, he felt like he could throw any pitch at any particular time.

That command won the day, but it also earned him some redemption from a pretty long memory.

"Somebody hit about five home runs off of me in these BP sessions," Willis said. "I'm not going to say who [Mike] Hessman is, but I finally got him back today. He took it easy on me today."

Those sessions came during Willis' first Spring Training as a Tiger last year, when Willis was trying to make a good first impression. It was during games that spring that the command issues first surfaced, only to seemingly grow worse as the season went on.

For the most part, Willis has put last season out of his mind. As a gesture, he tipped his cap to the opposing hitters who got him.

"They've got nice cars, too," Willis said.

But he didn't forget about Hessman.

"He hit some missiles," Willis said. "He's hit me out from left, to center, to right -- convincingly. He's a great ballplayer, and he's a talented guy. You guys know what he's capable of. He can hit a ball through the wind as far as wants to. I told him I had to wait for him to get in. He was clean-up today, but then he hopped right back in."

Hessman didn't hit him hard Saturday, nor did others.

He has others on his list, too, but it's all in fun. When Willis is pitching like he did Saturday, it's easy for him to have fun.

"[It's the] best I've seen him since he's been here. Period," Leyland said.

http://detroit.tigers.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090221&content_id=3862192&vkey=news_det&fext=.jsp&c_id=det

That sounds good. If he pitches good this year and Bonderman comes back, and also Gallaraga wasnt a fluke, we could be set.

spiatzko
02-24-2009, 05:09 PM
If my Aunt had nuts, She'd be my Uncle!

Look, I would love to see every one bounce back! I'm not saying it can't happen, however there is alot of work to do! Regardless, baseball is back ani I for one am ready to go.

Bondomania
02-24-2009, 06:33 PM
I think Willis will comeback and i think Bondo will be solid. i think Nate gets dealt, and i am not sure Galarraga will stick in the rotation. He got extremely lucky with balls in play.. his luck could change.. plus! teams will have more advanced scouting on him and more film to watch this guy.

pistons.fan.11
02-24-2009, 08:00 PM
I think Willis will comeback and i think Bondo will be solid. i think Nate gets dealt, and i am not sure Galarraga will stick in the rotation. He got extremely lucky with balls in play.. his luck could change.. plus! teams will have more advanced scouting on him and more film to watch this guy.

Again, couldn't've said it better myself. Toward the end of last season, Gallaraga started to struggle. Probably from the wear and tear of a full season, and the fact that teams have film of him now. I think he stays in the rotation, but he has a rougher year, ERA in the high 4's.

The more I read about D-Train, the more encouraged I get. He's looking more of the Dontrelle of old. The one that went 22-10 with a 2.63 ERA (or something like that), and not to mention, was Cy Young runner-up.

Bondomania
02-24-2009, 08:58 PM
The only reason i say Galarraga might not stick is due to Porcello. If Porcello is lighting up AA or AAA and Galarraga is struggling then a move could be made.

JMDTM
02-24-2009, 10:46 PM
could gallaraga make a move to the pen? what do you guys think? who knows about this guy. maddux never had great speed on his pitches. he just had good movement on them and could hit the strike zone like it was his job. now in no way am i saying he is just as good, but the same style comes to play, and if he can find that movement in his pitches and place them right, he can be solid

Sam_Quentin
02-24-2009, 11:47 PM
could gallaraga make a move to the pen? what do you guys think? who knows about this guy. maddux never had great speed on his pitches. he just had good movement on them and could hit the strike zone like it was his job. now in no way am i saying he is just as good, but the same style comes to play, and if he can find that movement in his pitches and place them right, he can be solid

You dont mean right now do you? I hope not. Its way to early to talk about how Galarraga would do in the pen! Obviously he's not going there unless he totally tanks this year, in which case, he would probably continue to struggle...i wouldnt foresee some magical turnaround in the pen.

As for Willis, they can talk all they want about how improved he's looking but lets just wait and see what happens when the spring games begin before we buy any of the hype. My prediction is he will continue to be crappy, not trying to all negative thats just how i feel.

yuns554
02-24-2009, 11:59 PM
what happens to robertson if he doesnt make the rotation will he move to the pen?

Bondomania
02-25-2009, 12:02 AM
Robertson will get dealt.. there is no way you can have a 10 mill per year middle relief guy..

stanpapi
02-25-2009, 12:23 AM
If my Aunt had nuts, She'd be my Uncle!

Look, I would love to see every one bounce back! I'm not saying it can't happen, however there is alot of work to do! Regardless, baseball is back ani I for one am ready to go.

...I'm not sure the whole deal passes the sniff test. I hope well for the D-Train, too, but I'm not ready to go this year, and not because the Tigers might suck. It's just a little too much WWF-like at the moment.

stanpapi
02-25-2009, 12:30 AM
Robertson will get dealt.. there is no way you can have a 10 mill per year middle relief guy..

Like, if you were another team. Guy's overpaid and underachieving. As another GM, why would you say, hey, I want me some of that overpaid and underachieving stuff on my staff. I don't think you can trade a ton of these guys -- Robertson, Inge, Willis, Guillen, Sheff. In this economy, you'd be hard-pressed to trade Ordonez or Cabrera. About the only guys you can get value for are Polonco, Granderson, Verlander, possibly Bonderman, and, as part of the right package to the right place, Thames. And I don't see why you'd want to trade Thames, except, of course, we have no where to play him on account of guys we can't get rid of.

RicoSteel
02-25-2009, 09:20 AM
Optimism is in the air, I get it, but lets relax a little bit when it comes to D-train. If he is able to do that through the exhibition season, then I may get excited.

RicoSteel
02-25-2009, 09:53 AM

To who? No one wants Nate. This is not a video game or fantasy baseball. The economic struggles plaguing this country are having an effect on the MLB as well. Why would any team take Nate and his $10 million? Only way it happens is if we are paying about 6-7 million of it.

Bondomania
02-25-2009, 11:32 AM
Well he won't be on the team regardless.. whether he is released or dealt. Injuries occur in spring training and if Nate pitches well in the spring it might create some sort of value for him. Especially if it is strictly a salary dump. If we were to eat 3 or 4 mill. per year of his salary, then i think a team might take a chance on him. Teams can never have enough pitching, and Nate when right is a legit #4 or #5 starter in the this league. Last year he sucked i will give you guys that.. but like i said when he is right he is a guy that can go out and give you 5 or 6 quality innings, anything after that and he gets lit up.. he has playoff experience... and he is a guy that could hover around a 4.50 ERA when is right and his slider is back to where it was... you guys mention economy and such.. that's the exact reason why Robertson cannot be in the pen.. 10 mill. for a guy that is going to pitch 60 innings doesn't make sense financially.

And I don't see why you'd want to trade Thames

Because he is part of the problem and not the solution. He is all bat no defense. We already have a HUGE question mark in LF.. so why would you want someone on your bench that is just as big of a liabilitie in left field??? Not when we have guys like Clevlen (who hit .277 22 HR 81 RBI's in Toledo and is out of options), Wells, Ramirez and Thomas who are all a lot better defensively than Thames and will actually hit with RISP and not just always swing for the long ball.. oh and all those guys can play small ball and steal bases.. unlike Thames slow ***.. It is time that we start getting some of the kids up here that are actually going to bring more than just homeruns to the table. Yes Thames has amazing strength and his homeruns are majestical.. but we need a guy that can come off the bench that can provide defense as well as play centerfield.. something Thames cannot do.. another thing that makes Thames expendable is the emergence of Larish. Granted Larish doesn't have the power Thames does.. he does actually hit more with RISP which in turn creates just as much production from him as Thames.

I wouldn't be surprised if either Galarraga gets dealt or Miner gets dealt prior to the season either. Miner is a better starter than reliever.. Galarraga has a lot of value as of right now. Both have similar arsenals.. although i think Miner's pitches are better than Galarraga's..

stanpapi
02-25-2009, 01:16 PM
...that he's a great guy coming off the bench, pinch-hitting, even clutch. I agree that he is all bat and only fair D, but at least he is a good bat guy you can depend on to hit 25 taters every 300 ABs. You can't depend on the other all-bat guys to do that. Thames, although there are certainly limitations, has proven himself as a great part-time player. And that's hard to find -- a guy who can be depended on once or twice a week. He is not the problem.

theoldgoalie
02-25-2009, 04:12 PM

I think you're right on with this thinking Bondo. I confident that Willis will come back, he's young enough to make the adjustments and get over this hump. My inclination, like yours, is that one of the lefthanders is gone via trade. They both have big contracts, so chances are we are going to have to either eat some of their contract or trade for a big contract.

I would have no problem if the Yankees wanted to trade for either of the lefties (although I like Willis' upside) for an aging Johnny Damon to make room for Manny. I'd like to see him cruising leftfield this summer.

But you're right. I think Bondo will comeback and be just fine, Verlander will find his groove and Edwin Jackson will fit nicely in the rotation. I do however, believe that we will see Porcello by the end of the season and my guess is that he will be filling Gallaraga's spot. Bottom line, I think Willis is going to be fine and the rotation will be the least of our worries.

Bondomania
02-25-2009, 04:37 PM
Thames is one in the line of DH types that we have on this team... that's my problem with him... we have enough offense that we should be fine and we need a guy that can come in for Guillen late in games or even play centerfield to give Granderson a day off now and then. I think Clevlen is most likely to get the other outfield spot.. but i could be wrong on that one.. maybe Clevlen becomes part of a deal that nets us a piece that can contribute..

JMDTM
02-25-2009, 05:16 PM
...that he's a great guy coming off the bench, pinch-hitting, even clutch. I agree that he is all bat and only fair D, but at least he is a good bat guy you can depend on to hit 25 taters every 300 ABs. You can't depend on the other all-bat guys to do that. Thames, although there are certainly limitations, has proven himself as a great part-time player. And that's hard to find -- a guy who can be depended on once or twice a week. He is not the problem.

agreed. id rather thames stick around then Sheff or Inge. I really like Wells and Ramirez so if something is to happen then i feel they are our 1st OF call ups who i like alot.

Epic89
02-25-2009, 05:52 PM
To who? No one wants Nate. This is not a video game or fantasy baseball. The economic struggles plaguing this country are having an effect on the MLB as well. Why would any team take Nate and his $10 million? Only way it happens is if we are paying about 6-7 million of it.

Granted, but either him or Willis is getting traded and Dave Dombrowski is a ****ing idiot if he trades Willis because there's no way they can get anyone close to Andrew Miller in return. D-Train also is just a flat-out better pitcher with monumentally bigger upside. If the Tigers get 03-05 Willis, plus Verlander, Bondo, Armando, Jackson having good years, they just might have a pitching staff good enough to win the world series.

Robertson sucks and the team will be much better off when finally rid of him.

JMDTM
02-25-2009, 06:30 PM
i dont know about you guys, but im excited to see what we have in the following BP guys: Perry, Darrow, Fien, Bloom, and possibly Simmons to. not to mention Porcello who obviously is a starter

Bondomania
02-25-2009, 07:34 PM
I finally agree with you epic. If Willis is able to work his way back to 03-05 form this could be a scary rotation... i am not going to hold my breath.. and i will gladly take 06 form as a stepping stone to him improving. He pitches tomorrow i believe.. so we will get a look at how far he has come.

JMDTM
02-25-2009, 07:49 PM
i want to watch live man!! to see how our pitchers look

pistons.fan.11
02-25-2009, 09:25 PM
i want to watch live man!! to see how our pitchers look

Couldn't agree more. I hope to make it to Lakeland for a spring training game. :)

JMDTM
02-25-2009, 10:19 PM
im excited about our youth. we seem to have a lot for us in the minors.

Sam_Quentin
02-26-2009, 12:02 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if either Galarraga gets dealt or Miner gets dealt prior to the season either. Miner is a better starter than reliever.. Galarraga has a lot of value as of right now. Both have similar arsenals.. although i think Miner's pitches are better than Galarraga's..

Bondo! Im kinda shocked you would say this! You wouldnt be surprised if Galarraga got dealt?!! Regardless of any of our speculation, including mine, that he might struggle this season, there is absolutely no justification for a team with question marks galore in their starting rotation to trade their best starter from last year in the spring. There is no way that happens regardless of what Galarraga does in the exhibition. If that happened i would be completely STUNNED.

Miner might get dealt, but itll be a small deal as he really doesnt have much trade value.

stanpapi
02-26-2009, 12:40 AM
Guys they should trade no one wants, because they were all signed in good economic times. Can you imagine the deals we could have got on some of these guys if we had signed them to two-year contracts? After 2006, DD was giving up long-term deals like candy. Even Cabrera, can you imagine the deal we could have got on him right about now? As it stands, I'm guessing he will own the team. Plus, we have a whole slew of guys that will very well be untradeable until like 2018. I didn't know where it was coming from during the good times, but owners are going to be wise to more or less stand pat until they see where the economy is going. So I'm pretty sure we're stuck with guys who should be traded -- stuck.

yankees65
02-26-2009, 01:00 AM
i think verlander is going to have a MONSTER season his stuff is just filthy....hes my pick for al cy young

Bondomania
02-26-2009, 11:16 AM
Bondo! Im kinda shocked you would say this! You wouldnt be surprised if Galarraga got dealt?!! Regardless of any of our speculation, including mine, that he might struggle this season, there is absolutely no justification for a team with question marks galore in their starting rotation to trade their best starter from last year in the spring. There is no way that happens regardless of what Galarraga does in the exhibition. If that happened i would be completely STUNNED.

Miner might get dealt, but itll be a small deal as he really doesnt have much trade value.

Exactly.. Galarraga has trade value and you can plug in Miner and you essentially have the same pitcher... Plus Galarraga probably doesn't fit into the long-term plans of the Tigers with Porcello being ready soon.. Also Galarraga is the number 1 candidate to regress this year. Last year he pitched out of his mind.. but he doesn't have a track record for doing this type of stuff.. he was a pitcher that the Rangers gave up on and he had trouble staying in the Majors.. maybe the Tigers got him to flip a switch and last year was a glimpse of what he was capable of.. maybe he caught teams by surprise.. regarless.. teams like Boston and NY are going to have a better scouting report on him this time around.. My thought on trading him is based on a couple of things. Jackson has to continue developing.. if he takes another positive step forward then he is a 15-16 game winner this year.. the second thing it is hinging on is Willis fully coming back. If he can come back then there are 5 starters. I didn't say when he would be dealt.. but it wouldn't surprise me if at the deadline we capitalized on Galarraga.. personally i would sell high on Galarraga and get as much as i can for him.. and then use Miner as the 5th starter... we have a slew of relief prospects that are going to be ready or are currently ready.

There are a lot of teams that have contracts that they cannot move. It isn't just the Tigers. I think we move Robertson for another bad contract.. or we eat 3-5 mill. and just get rid of his salary.. maybe get a PTBNL or something

Even Cabrera, can you imagine the deal we could have got on him right about now?

Are you serious? you think that Cabrera would have taken a discount? Elite talent got paid this offseason still... Burnett, Sabathia, Ramirez (will eventually get his), Texeira.. I think where you saw the greatest dropoff was in good, not great players. Good players were paid their market value if not a little under. Cabrera would have gotten paid if he didn't sign with us.. probably more than what he got from us.. i am actually hoping he is a Tiger for life.. but we will see.

I didn't know where it was coming from during the good times

Record revenues.. record attendence levels.. owners spent at the level at which they could. The Tigers are really 15-20 mill. over budget because they decided to spend money and go for a WS ring and it bit them in the ***. That's the downside with it.. sometimes it doesn't pan out the way you expect. I think the Tigers will competitive for years to comes because Illitch has shown a willingness to spend money for players that will help this team. Also you have to look at the fact that the Tigers have done well throughout the draft.. hitting on several players not just in the first few rounds... I think the payroll will eventually come down as some of these contracts expire.. but i still think the Tigers will keep a payroll around 115 to 120 mill.. which they would be around after Sheff's contract expires and Polanco's contract expires.

dddtfan
02-26-2009, 12:24 PM
Rotation:

Verlander, Bonderman, Willis, Jackson, and....wait for it....wait for it....Porcello.

Miner and Gallaraga will get traded, Robertson released and the bullpen....

Seay, Bloom, Ni, Lyon, Zumaya, Rodney....and....Ryan Perry.

Still have Darrow, Fein, Williamson, and Rincon, amongst others to backfill as needed

RicoSteel
02-27-2009, 04:16 PM
D-Trains performance today is why you should not get excited about a bullpen session in spring training. Thank you.

Bondomania
02-27-2009, 06:03 PM
it was one outting early in the spring.. his defense didn't help him either.. and besides.. you don't know how he was throwing unless you were at the game.. you can't just look at a boxscore in his case.. if he is pounding the strikezone and challenging hitters then it is a small step in the right direction... i think today he fell into some bad luck and it snowballed on him.. i think people are just looking for some optimism and thats why they look at a BP session and see something that wasn't there last year and they get excited. I think we will know where he is at after his next few outtings.. if he can make the proper adjustments and continue to hit the strikezone.. it was one spring game early into the season.. nothing more.. nothing less..

Epic89
02-27-2009, 10:02 PM
D-Trains performance today is why you should not get excited about a bullpen session in spring training. Thank you.

Word.

radcli17
02-28-2009, 01:10 PM
verlander will turn it around...bonderman will be back to form...willis will have more control and confidence...edwin jackson is solid and doesnt reall need to work on anything...

if this was a perfect world (but it actually isnt too far fetched)

dddtfan
03-02-2009, 04:13 PM
What do we have for the Rotation really.

JV
Gallaraga
Edwin Jackson

Bonderman could very well start the season on the DL, and just got sent back to the D to have his shoulder looked at

Willis isn't "winning" the 5th spot at this point

neither is Nate
and neither is Zach Miner....

If you ask me at this point, we might be FORCED to use not only Porcello, but Casey Crosby as well, which BTW I'm not sure, but I don't think it would break my heart at all if that was the case.

At this point, Miner might not even win a BULLPEN slot.

mark1125
03-02-2009, 05:40 PM
What do we have for the Rotation really.

JV
Gallaraga
Edwin Jackson

Bonderman could very well start the season on the DL, and just got sent back to the D to have his shoulder looked at

Willis isn't "winning" the 5th spot at this point

neither is Nate
and neither is Zach Miner....

If you ask me at this point, we might be FORCED to use not only Porcello, but Casey Crosby as well, which BTW I'm not sure, but I don't think it would break my heart at all if that was the case.

At this point, Miner might not even win a BULLPEN slot.

Call me cautious, but I do not want to see Porcello in the majors to start the year. Let him dominate the monors and see where we go from there. It is a tad early to write off Miner as ST is just getting going. Bondo has me a little concerned though as I was expecting (and the stiffness may be minor) 12-14 wins out of him minimum. I don't want Nate sniffing the rotation. If Bonderman is shelved for any amount of time and Willis/Miner flop miserably, We can see who is the odd man out in other teams camps.

I don't want to rush Porcello. I think Miner will be fine. Whoever has the better spring of the rest gets the spot.

Bondomania
03-02-2009, 08:18 PM
I could see Porcello maybe bridging the gap to Bondo.. maybe Porcello makes 2 or 3 starts at the beginning just until Bondo gets 100%. I think it is to early to write off anyone. We are WAY! to early into ST to say anyone doesn't to be a starter or whatever. Give it another 2 or 3 weeks to see how guys make adjustments and such.. and we will have a better idea of who will contribute and who won't

DieHardColtsfan
03-02-2009, 08:21 PM
Bonderman's Tests Reveal 'No Major Issues'

By Ben Jones [March 2 at 5:59pm CST]

5:59pm: He's OK, according to Leyland, as told to Jason Beck of MLB.com.

An examination of pitcher Jeremy Bonderman's sore right shoulder showed no major damage, confirming the Tigers' expectations that he had nothing more than swelling.

"No problems," manager Jim Leyland said early Monday evening. "No major issues at all."

5:36pm: Detroit Tigers manager Jim Leyland told The Associated Press that starting pitcher Jeremy Bonderman has been sent to Detroit for medical testing because of shoulder stiffness.

Leyland said the act is precautionary, and Bonderman, 26, is expected back in Lakeland, Fla., Monday night.

Bonderman has had the trouble since he reported to Spring Training. He went 3-4 with a 4.29 ERA last year, but was on the disabled list from June 7 through the end of the season with a circulatory condition that resulted in numbness in his throwing hand.

Leyland added that the right-hander could be back to a normal routine in a couple of weeks.

Bonderman has been in the mix of names discussed in recent trade rumors.

mlbtr

good news!

Bondomania
03-02-2009, 08:23 PM
i just read a report that said that Bondo doesn't have any structural damage.. so that is good news.. just swelling.. maybe overdid it at the start of spring training

Bondomania
03-02-2009, 08:23 PM
damnit.. you beat me to the punch

pistons.fan.11
03-03-2009, 09:44 PM
I could see Porcello maybe bridging the gap to Bondo.. maybe Porcello makes 2 or 3 starts at the beginning just until Bondo gets 100%. I think it is to early to write off anyone. We are WAY! to early into ST to say anyone doesn't to be a starter or whatever. Give it another 2 or 3 weeks to see how guys make adjustments and such.. and we will have a better idea of who will contribute and who won't

In case everyone hasn't noticed... I'm a HUGE Dontrelle Willis fan. HUGE. So I'm pulling for him to make the adjustment and EARN the 5th starters spot.
Although, I'm not blinded by my "fan-ism"(Being a fan of him), but by my estimation, he is winning the spot at this point. Hopefully he does nothing but improve.

Bondomania
03-03-2009, 11:06 PM
he had a rough 2nd inning today. He had an alright first inning.. again he was let down by his defense. BUT he made the plays to prevent the game from getting blown wide open early. He had a phenominal 3rd though.. including making Miggy look foolish chasing a slider in the dirt. I am not saying he has turned the corner. But IF!!!!! he can build off the third inning in his next outting then he might be on to something. Laird said his 3rd inning looked like the Dontrell of old. Maybe he just needed a few innings of live game pitching to get the jitters out.. who knows. I am really pulling for Dontrell at this point. His upside is huge if he can continue to build off of each outting each time. Not saying he will ever win 20 games again.. but i think he could be anywhere from a 10 to 17 game winner.. granted that assumption is all based on him continuing to make adjustments and continuing to build off each outting. I love the energy he brings to the ballpark and think that he is probably the biggest key to the season. The bullpen seems to almost be a strength at this point with Zoom back and throwing well. Lyon has been decent so far. I honestly think Rodney could get dealt prior to the season though. Especially if a guy like Fien, Dolsi or Perry step up and show that they can handle the 7th inning.

pistons.fan.11
03-04-2009, 07:51 PM
he had a rough 2nd inning today. He had an alright first inning.. again he was let down by his defense. BUT he made the plays to prevent the game from getting blown wide open early. He had a phenominal 3rd though.. including making Miggy look foolish chasing a slider in the dirt. I am not saying he has turned the corner. But IF!!!!! he can build off the third inning in his next outting then he might be on to something. Laird said his 3rd inning looked like the Dontrell of old. Maybe he just needed a few innings of live game pitching to get the jitters out.. who knows. I am really pulling for Dontrell at this point. His upside is huge if he can continue to build off of each outting each time. Not saying he will ever win 20 games again.. but i think he could be anywhere from a 10 to 17 game winner.. granted that assumption is all based on him continuing to make adjustments and continuing to build off each outting. I love the energy he brings to the ballpark and think that he is probably the biggest key to the season. The bullpen seems to almost be a strength at this point with Zoom back and throwing well. Lyon has been decent so far. I honestly think Rodney could get dealt prior to the season though. Especially if a guy like Fien, Dolsi or Perry step up and show that they can handle the 7th inning.

Again. I'm pulling for him. My prediction is that he'll win 12-15 games this year, pending injuries and the conditions you previously stated. I agree that he brings great energy and charisma. And I agree that he is one of the biggest, if not the biggest, key to this season. Zumaya has looked good, and Lyon, as you said, has been decent. But, I don't think we will, or can afford to trade Rodney. His high-90's fastball and devastating change are great weapons to have out in the 'pen. Plus, with Rick Knapp's "Throw strikes first" approach, I think Rodney has a monster year. I don't think he'll be dealt. But I do think Dolsi makes the team out of the Spring.

Yes, We Deliver
03-04-2009, 10:17 PM
Detroit's Taiwanese pitching prospect, Fu-Te Ni pitched the other night in Japan for the Taiwan national team. I didn't see it being covered anywhere so I'll post it here.

He gave up 1 run on 2 hits in 2 1/3 innings. He struck out 3 (including the Yomiuri Giants star Seung-Yeop Lee, twice).

From Taiwan Baseball blog:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-lZ-r26hwA

Ignore the background music (or enjoy it, if you're into that).
--

Also, the WBC starts tomorrow morning, for those with DVRs/bad work hours.

Bondomania
03-04-2009, 10:32 PM
If Perry continues to impress like he has.. i could see Rodney getting dealt. We have internal options that can fill the 7th inning role. Rodney is good when he is on.. but god awful if he is off. there is no middle ground with him. Fien has a nice fastball that can get up to 94 and a good slider. Ni is another guy i think could so something. He is a good feel pitcher with solid pitches.. doesn't possess the velocity that Seay and Bloom do.. but he has a deceptive delivery. Seay is another guy i could see being dealt. He faltered down the stretch last season and if Ni and Bloom out pitch him the rest of the way out.. Seay becomes expendable

sweetlou1
03-05-2009, 07:15 PM
This will be very interesting. It all depends on how we start. The last few years we have started so slow its just to hard to claw back. A healthy Granderson and a lot of options from the pitching staff gives me a lot of hope!!

MetsJets0809
03-25-2009, 04:14 PM
Rick Porcello's uncle teaches at my highschool. So i hope he gets it. He's nasty from what i've seen

michigansports8
03-25-2009, 08:16 PM
:smoking:I just hope he will be solid enough for at least a 4.00 era maybe 150 strikeouts and 13 wins although thats a prayer considering what hes rebounding from.:smoking: