PDA

View Full Version : Ryan Whitney

J13Cox8
02-22-2009, 03:58 PM
please..please trade Whitney. i cant explain how much i dont like this man. Everyone talks about how good he is offensively, but to be honest..i dont see it?? his vision and passing is awful. he should have been given an assist on the mike knuble shorty yesterday. while his stock is "high" we need to get rid of him. he makes too much money for not enough production. the nhl seems to like this man, i however do not. i met this guy at Mario's, a bar in pittsburgh. he is a nice guy, he is. but i cant stand how overrated he is. he is in no way a leader. its not like we dont have the depth to get rid of this guy, with goligoski sent down and letang a healthy scratch (dumb). you may say that defense is one of our problems, and i agree with you, but then again, what isnt one of our problems?

1-nonaggression on defense
2-no wingers (minus sykora)
3-inconsistent goaltending
4-horrible special teams

TheRyno30
02-22-2009, 04:15 PM
please..please trade Whitney. i cant explain how much i dont like this man. Everyone talks about how good he is offensively, but to be honest..i dont see it?? his vision and passing is awful. he should have been given an assist on the mike knuble shorty yesterday. while his stock is "high" we need to get rid of him. he makes too much money for not enough production. the nhl seems to like this man, i however do not. i met this guy at Mario's, a bar in pittsburgh. he is a nice guy, he is. but i cant stand how overrated he is. he is in no way a leader. its not like we dont have the depth to get rid of this guy, with goligoski sent down and letang a healthy scratch (dumb). you may say that defense is one of our problems, and i agree with you, but then again, what isnt one of our problems?

1-nonaggression on defense
2-no wingers (minus sykora)
3-inconsistent goaltending
4-horrible special teams

Pens to get rid of
Whitney
Staal
Gil
Satan
Mike YO
I know it wont happen but Orpik Sucks

ShaunRiching9
02-22-2009, 06:12 PM
orpik does not suck, he is one of our only Defensemen that will throw hits and is a great PKer

SidTheKid
02-22-2009, 06:13 PM
Pens to get rid of
Whitney
Staal
Gil
Satan
Mike YO

:rolleyes:

J13Cox8
02-22-2009, 07:22 PM
orpik is our 3rd best defensemen behind gonch and letang. in no way does he suck. he is the only physical person on the entire team. i hate to say it but face it people the pens are a bunch of girls when it comes to being physical. we got orpik and cooke. and dont say godard because he had under 3 minutes of ice time today...who else hits? nobody. we need to bring in someone who is physical.

SidTheKid
02-22-2009, 07:23 PM
we need to bring in someone who is physical.

Pronger anyone? ;)

J13Cox8
02-22-2009, 07:26 PM
pronger. bingo

LionPenguin24
02-22-2009, 08:57 PM
Pens to get rid of
Whitney
Staal
Gil
Satan
Mike YO

Whitney for sure we need to get rid of. I totally agree he is not a good defenseman at all. I have been wondering when they (sports analysts) talk about pittsburgh's great defenseman i usually think its Letang or Gonchar they are talking about. But then i find out that its whitney. I agree in trading him now and agree that everyone in the league thinks he is way up there so we can get a good player for him. Perhaps to the Ducks for Pronger. I would think we would need to give up someone else as well.

How can everyone think we need to get rid of Staal?

ldarius21
02-23-2009, 11:39 PM
I have been saying Whitney for anything for the past year and a half, I was willing to stop and hope that it was because of his foot that he was so horrible but he has proven that his foot isnt the cause of his horrific play. His stock is high right now and he will bring us a decent winger that wont be a glorified 3rd line winger. If we want to bring in another top or close to winger the price will be Staal or Letang and I think that if we want to win now that will need to happen. We dont have the option to wait right now, at the beginning of the season any real hockey fan already knew that we were not going to contend for a cup run let alone the playoffs with the team that we started with.

Dupius = 3rd line winger
Talbot = 3rd/4th line winger
Satan = 5th line reserve puck picker-uper
Fedetenko = 3rd line winger
Cooke = 3rd line
Kennedy = 2nd/3rd line

Trades that would make sense at least to me:

Ryan Whitney for Martin St. Louis
Jordan Staal for Milan Hejduk or Alex Kovalev
Pascal Dupius & 2nd Round pick '11 for Nik Antropov
2nd round pick for Colby Armstrong

jzelenda
02-24-2009, 12:24 AM
Satan = 5th line reserve puck picker-upper

I like your style, right off the bat.

Whitney for St. Louis. Fantastic idea if they go for it.

I say we keep Staal, retrain him as winger, and if all else fails trade him next year for some premium talent. Give that 20 year older a few more years. Then if all else fails, trade him for brother Eric Staal.

I hate Nik Antropov, his work ethic, his lack of usage of that big Sasquatch frame, his lack of drive and puck battles, and I'm not fond of his name. Change that trade to Erik Cole and you have my approval.

Colby Armstrong is a must. Simply a must.

nstachowski
02-24-2009, 02:02 AM
pronger anyone? ;)

x2!!!

t2a2e9j12
02-24-2009, 03:25 AM
staal for kovalev, no way kovalev is old and overpaid he shows up one out of three games. he is a free agent sign him for less money in off season. If you must trade staal ,bad Move he is only 20 get someone younger and undre contract that can help for a few years not some one who could walk or retire at the end of the year.

ldarius21
02-24-2009, 09:13 AM
I would agree that Erik Cole would be a better trade but I dont think that we are going to get someone like that with the junk players we would have in return. Kovalev has been known for years as being an underachieving great player and he is again this year, I just remember the years in Pittsburgh and him on the wing with Malkin just makes me wonder how great that could be. In order to get you have to give, I dont want to see Staal go but at the same time I want to see the Pens go deep into the playoffs and without big moves they are going to an early exit and the golf course.

Grantakins
02-24-2009, 09:14 AM
Just a thought here... What about Whitney and Fleury for Niklas Backstrom? Salary dump for Whitney and just a goalie change. Anyone?

ldarius21
02-24-2009, 10:03 AM
For some reason Whitney has a decent stock price right now and if we could land a top line winger for him we need to jump all over it, as far as a goalie change I dont think that we can give up on Fleury because of a bad stretch especially when we just gave him a long term deal. A salary dump and moving on our goalie for another doesnt make much sense to me but I am only a fan thankfully.
As for the Pronger talk I dont think it would be a great idea, from all the things I have read he isnt that great of a team-mate and with all the movement in his career it is easy to believe. I think we already have enough seperation in the locker room as it is, no reason to bring another divider in.

Grantakins
02-24-2009, 11:29 AM
You are right about Whitney but do you really think someone is going to give up a scoring winger for him? Yeah his stock seems high but it still feels a little too good to be true when considering a trade for st. louis, or havlat, or frolov. I mentioned the trade for Backstrom because he is one of the best goaltenders in the world and Minnesota is more than likely going to have to sign him and lose gaborik unless they can get a goalie for him.

Another thought... satan for afinogenov. satan had some good years in buffalo and afinogenov has been terrible since the break up of him drury and briere. he was scoring over a point/game when he had good chemistry on that line. he is a dynamic, high speed hockey player when he is healthy and playing with some good players. I'm sure buffalo would love to get rid of his high minus rating and 3.3 million/yr salary. kinda like we would like to get rid of satans salary. both are ufa's after this year. sounds reasonable to me... anyone else?

slyguy7
02-24-2009, 04:21 PM
sounds good bc satan has not been playing good at all. if afinogenov plays good maybe we can sign him a few years for cheap

SidTheKid
02-24-2009, 09:00 PM
Ryan Whitney hasn't quite measured up since returning from a foot surgery that delayed the start of his season until December 23rd.

Whitney has a decent two goals and 13 points in 28 games this season, but he has a team-worst minus-15 plus/minus rating. He seems to be only getting worse as the season goes on, with a minus-seven plus/minus rating in his last 10 games. The Penguins need underperforming players like Whitney to rebound if they're going to make the playoffs, but we've seen no indication that Whitney's going to get much better this season.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09054/951029-61.stm

ShaunRiching9
02-24-2009, 10:10 PM
its too bad he is such a good defensemen i wish he would start playing like it.

TheRyno30
02-26-2009, 07:37 AM
I have been saying Whitney for anything for the past year and a half, I was willing to stop and hope that it was because of his foot that he was so horrible but he has proven that his foot isnt the cause of his horrific play. His stock is high right now and he will bring us a decent winger that wont be a glorified 3rd line winger. If we want to bring in another top or close to winger the price will be Staal or Letang and I think that if we want to win now that will need to happen. We dont have the option to wait right now, at the beginning of the season any real hockey fan already knew that we were not going to contend for a cup run let alone the playoffs with the team that we started with.

Dupius = 3rd line winger
Talbot = 3rd/4th line winger
Satan = 5th line reserve puck picker-uper
Fedetenko = 3rd line winger
Cooke = 3rd line
Kennedy = 2nd/3rd line

NO NO NO DO NOT GIVE UP Pascal Dupius He is awesome and plays is heart out every night. We need a guy like that who hussels and hits every shift

ldarius21
02-26-2009, 09:57 AM
To get you must give my friend, I am not saying that I would want to see Dupuis leave the pens but if we are going to go out and build a contending team sometimes you have to part ways with players simply because of their worth. If we can make a move to get better with our junk players then lets do it but it doesnt happen all too often.