PDA

View Full Version : Most Over Rated Coach

D Roses Bulls
02-21-2009, 10:15 PM
i can think of 2 that top the list and that would be doc rivers, larry brown, and maybe you can add a 3rd one if you wanna include phil jackson. doc rivers was about ot be fired till boston pulled off the trades for garnet and ray allen. he never did anything before even in orlando except have a sub par 500 season with a depleted magic team. most over hyped and over rated coach in the game. larry brown because i dont think he can utilize his talent all that well and is way out of reach with players especially now adays. the championship in detroit was a gift, that should have been rick carlisles credit because he layed down that foundation. then i guess you can say phil jackson because he has always been put in the right situation with the best players, but i do give him credit at least for developing the triangle offense. to me doc and larry are the most over rated.

Duncan = Donkey
02-21-2009, 10:20 PM
doc rivers or phil jackson. probaly more rivers though

Raps18-19 Champ
Doc Rivers is. Getting 3 proven, healthy all-stars will get any coach alot of wins

Phil Jackson is kinda getting overrated. Only reason he wins so much games cuz he had MJ and Pippen and Kobe and Shaq with him to win all those games.

albertc86
Phil Jackson, most definitely. And, this is coming from a Laker fan. In my opinion, PJ has never been a top 3 coach in the league at any point of his career. He has been blessed with some of the greatest players and teams to ever step on the hardwood. When it comes down to X's and O's, I'd pick a handful of coaches before him.

D Roses Bulls
02-21-2009, 10:23 PM
Phil Jackson, most definitely. And, this is coming from a Laker fan. In my opinion, PJ has never been a top 3 coach in the league at any point of his career. He has been blessed with some of the greatest players and teams to ever step on the hardwood. When it comes down to X's and O's, I'd pick a handful of coaches before him.

true, but the only thing i give him credit for as i stated was the triangle offense because the years they had doug collins with mj, pippen, and grant they couldnt get past detroit and phil comes in and they finally get past them. could it be because pippen finally came into his own? possibly, but i think the triangle offense had something to do with that, not alot but a little.

what54!?
02-21-2009, 10:24 PM
Doc Rivers. He's an ok coach but two years ago C's fans were yelling for him to be fired

Ragun
02-21-2009, 10:26 PM
doc rivers is an amazing coach. good defensive coach.

Jay22Redd
02-21-2009, 10:27 PM
id have to see its out of doc and phil. but more with doc....

G-Funk
02-21-2009, 10:27 PM
I say Doc Rivers if, Phil was lucky to have great Duos than that makes Doc lucky for having the Big 3.

G-Funk
02-21-2009, 10:28 PM

Doc is not the defensive coach.

G-Funk
02-21-2009, 10:32 PM
Riley is just lucky for having Magic, Kareem, Shaq and Wade.

Doc is just lucky for having the Big 3.

Phil is just lucky for having 2 great Duos.

Pop is just lucky for having Duncan, Ginobli, Robinson, Parker.

Red is lucky for having Russell and so many All-stars.

lakers4sho
02-21-2009, 10:40 PM

I guess you haven't heart of Tom Thibodeau, the genius :shrug:

heyman321
02-21-2009, 10:42 PM
I wish Mike D'Antoni coached Michael Jordan and Pippen. Pure gold.

Doc Rivers is over rated btw.

lakers4sho
02-21-2009, 10:48 PM
I wish Mike D'Antoni coached Michael Jordan and Pippen. Pure gold.

Doc Rivers is over rated btw.

Doug Collins coached the two as well. Couldn't even get to the Finals.

bal_ravens
02-21-2009, 10:54 PM
Mike Brown.

_KB24_
02-21-2009, 11:07 PM
how the **** can you say Phil Jackson is overrated! The man has ****in 9 rings! Yeah he's had some amazing players but that still does not take away from what he has accomplished. If you say he is overrated than i guess Red Auerbach is overrated becuz he had cousy, russell, maculey, havileck, and ramsey just to name a few.

KB24PG16
02-21-2009, 11:10 PM
doc rivers is overrated their assistant coach is better than him as a coach reason why they won last year

Raps18-19 Champ
02-21-2009, 11:33 PM
how the **** can you say Phil Jackson is overrated! The man has ****in 9 rings! Yeah he's had some amazing players but that still does not take away from what he has accomplished. If you say he is overrated than i guess Red Auerbach is overrated becuz he had cousy, russell, maculey, havileck, and ramsey just to name a few.

Ya wasn't he the one that tranformed a championship team to a early playoffs exit team when Jordan retired and when he came back during 05-06 season and still sucked cuz he didnt have a duo.

Raps18-19 Champ
02-21-2009, 11:34 PM
doc rivers is overrated their assistant coach is better than him as a coach reason why they won last year

What about the play of the players?

I'm pretty sure the players win the game and not the coach.

GspLAL
02-21-2009, 11:38 PM
The "hes overrated because he had so and so" is such a stupid argument, Those players needed PJ for example just as much as PJ needed them, you don't win championships without stars.

Kyle N.
02-21-2009, 11:43 PM
i can think of 2 that top the list and that would be doc rivers, larry brown, and maybe you can add a 3rd one if you wanna include phil jackson. doc rivers was about ot be fired till boston pulled off the trades for garnet and ray allen. he never did anything before even in orlando except have a sub par 500 season with a depleted magic team. most over hyped and over rated coach in the game. larry brown because i dont think he can utilize his talent all that well and is way out of reach with players especially now adays. the championship in detroit was a gift, that should have been rick carlisles credit because he layed down that foundation. then i guess you can say phil jackson because he has always been put in the right situation with the best players, but i do give him credit at least for developing the triangle offense. to me doc and larry are the most over rated.

He didn't even come up with it. The only reason he used it is because Tex Winter taught it to him and told him to use it.

dwiduck
02-21-2009, 11:51 PM
I think Larry Brown has a good mind for the game, and Phil has his triangle offense even though he has had the best luck with players (Kobe,Shaq,Jordan,Pippen) i think he is a little overrated, but Doc Rivers was about to get fired until Ainge acquired KG and Allen so he is the most overrated IMO

Raps18-19 Champ
02-21-2009, 11:54 PM
Larry Brown won a title with no Superstars on his team.

No one on that team would even be a first option on other teams. Maybe Billups but those other guys were not even stars and still put up good numbers.

So you can't call him overated there.

lakers4sho
02-22-2009, 12:12 AM
Larry Brown won a title with no Superstars on his team.

No one on that team would even be a first option on other teams. Maybe Billups but those other guys were not even stars and still put up good numbers.

So you can't call him overated there.

Yet he can't even coach an olympic team with SUPERSTARS to a gold medal.

What's even worse is that that team lost to Puerto Rico, Puerto FREAKIN Rico!!!

borat
02-22-2009, 12:31 AM
Out of those 3 it's DOC. Not even really close.

Of all-time it's definitely RED.

Kakaroach
02-22-2009, 12:32 AM
Doc Rivers. His team lost 18 straight lmao. Most over-rated coach because he has the Big 3.

3lite-Raps
02-22-2009, 12:45 AM
Doc

Raps18-19 Champ
02-22-2009, 12:54 AM
Yet he can't even coach an olympic team with SUPERSTARS to a gold medal.

What's even worse is that that team lost to Puerto Rico, Puerto FREAKIN Rico!!!

When you have Marbury as your starting PG, you tend to have problems.

And he had rpoblems with Iverson.

And they had crappy players like Marion, Odom and get this Okafor.

Comparing 200, 2004 and 2008 Olympic team, 2000 and 2008 are way better than the 2004 team by far.

CHief_0_o_Wahoo
02-22-2009, 12:54 AM
Riley is just lucky for having Magic, Kareem, Shaq and Wade.

Doc is just lucky for having the Big 3.

Phil is just lucky for having 2 great Duos.

Pop is just lucky for having Duncan, Ginobli, Robinson, Parker.

Red is lucky for having Russell and so many All-stars.

Exactly.

lakers4sho
02-22-2009, 01:07 AM
Comparing 200, 2004 and 2008 Olympic team, 2000 and 2008 are way better than the 2004 team by far.

Still. They were made of NBA stars and yet they lost to a mediocre team and couldn't bag the gold.

still1ballin
02-22-2009, 01:41 AM
doc

Chicagofaithful
02-22-2009, 02:00 AM
i understand how ppl think Phil has been handed great players (and he has), but i mean look how many rings he has, his Triangle offense is great. But i do understand he's had Kobe and MJ... its just even when he has injuries and stuff on his team, they get great records...

Doc rivers on the other hand, didnt do anything until he was handed 3 allstars

homestarunner93
02-22-2009, 02:07 AM
Doc Rivers, easily. I don't see how anyone can call Larry Brown overrated, look what he's done with the Bobcats this year. Take out his one year in NY, and he's been a fantastic coach.

Leafsleeve
02-22-2009, 12:25 PM
Phil Jackson I would love too se him win without the best player in the nba.

NykbAlla
02-22-2009, 12:53 PM
Doc Rivers. He was a loser before he got those players.

niners395
02-22-2009, 01:15 PM
You could make Isiah Thomas coach of the celtics, and they would still be good.
:hide:

nd4T.O.
02-22-2009, 01:25 PM
haha Phil Jakson overated...9 RINGS...haha thats is pathetic

bahama0811
02-22-2009, 01:28 PM
The most overrated coach in the NBA is George Karl.

BALLER71
02-22-2009, 01:48 PM

Dude, anyone can coach a team with 3 Hall of Famers.

Phil Jackson I would love too se him win without the best player in the nba.

This is coming from a Boston fan.

Leafsleeve
02-22-2009, 01:59 PM
Didn't Doc coach Orlando to a winning season????

Leafsleeve
02-22-2009, 01:59 PM
Jordan coached the Bulls not Phil Jackson

bahama0811
02-22-2009, 02:01 PM
All you Laker and Celtic fans are complaining about each others coaches. I'd take either of them over George Karl anyday of the week.

nd4T.O.
02-22-2009, 02:05 PM
Mike Brown....im laughing at Phil haters hahahaha

Hawkeye15
02-22-2009, 02:40 PM
true, but the only thing i give him credit for as i stated was the triangle offense because the years they had doug collins with mj, pippen, and grant they couldnt get past detroit and phil comes in and they finally get past them. could it be because pippen finally came into his own? possibly, but i think the triangle offense had something to do with that, not alot but a little.

I believe Tex Winters came up with the triangle, not Phil. I could be wrong though

Hawkeye15
02-22-2009, 02:41 PM
gee, didn't expect it. Boston fans hating Phil, and Laker fans hating Doc and Mike Brown. PSD never disappoints!

SJSHARKIES
02-22-2009, 02:50 PM
I just think that Coaches get unfair press, example Doc he had absolutely a crappy team. Pierce was injured, and they had a crappy team. The fans were yelling fire Doc, along comes KG and Allen. Now what do people say, Doc Rivers is a great coach he took his team to the finals and won. I do think that coaching is important, but at the same time they get unfair treatment.

lakers4sho
02-22-2009, 02:52 PM
I believe Tex Winters came up with the triangle, not Phil. I could be wrong though

Actually the offense was developed by Sam Barry during the 40s. Tex just picked it up from Barry while playing for him.

todu82
02-22-2009, 03:39 PM
Doc Rivers

ElMarroAfamado
02-22-2009, 04:01 PM
MIKE BROWN
and doc rivers

Mike Brown "Ok lebron DO EVERYTHING"

doc rivers = what was he doing before "the big 3"

Kings Faithful
02-22-2009, 04:11 PM
I think one of the best coaches in the league is Rick Adelman. He has a hard time making it to the finals in playoffs, but its not necessarily Adelmans fault because every team he coached has been plagued with injuries, but when he left the Kings you could instantly feel what he brought was gone.

hynesy02
02-22-2009, 04:19 PM
i think all coaches are overrated i cant choose one teams with great players win... id have to say most underrated is the hawks coach puts a bunch of no namers together and almost took out my team the celtics very impressive

Hustla23
02-22-2009, 04:28 PM
Definitely Larry Brown.

The guy made the knicks into a huge mess and is in the process of ruing the Bobcats right now :sigh:

bahama0811
02-22-2009, 04:30 PM
Definitely Larry Brown.

The guy made the knicks into a huge mess and is in the process of ruing the Bobcats right now :sigh:

What was there to ruin in Charlotte? Was it their perennial winning or what? They didn't have anything to ruin.

SJSHARKIES
02-22-2009, 05:06 PM
I think one of the best coaches in the league is Rick Adelman. He has a hard time making it to the finals in playoffs, but its not necessarily Adelmans fault because every team he coached has been plagued with injuries, but when he left the Kings you could instantly feel what he brought was gone.

O yeah Adelman was a very good coach with Kings. The refs messed it up.

Leafsleeve
02-22-2009, 05:08 PM
Definitely Larry Brown.

How the hell is Larry Brown destroying the bobcats???? they have a legitamite chance to make the playoffs, eventhough it's in the east

Hustla23
02-22-2009, 05:11 PM
How the hell is Larry Brown destroying the bobcats???? they have a legitamite chance to make the playoffs, eventhough it's in the east

Well for starters, drafting DJ Augustin over Brook Lopez when they had a glaring need at center and a good PG in Felton already.

Secondly, by taking a team with decent talent and not being able to do anything with them.

If you put Mike D'antoni on the Bobcats, they'd be a lock for the 6th spot in the east.

Leafsleeve
02-22-2009, 05:22 PM
Idon't understand why they traded Jason Richardson

Flash812
02-22-2009, 05:28 PM
I guess I am in the minority with thinking Doc is a pretty good coach. Byron Scott is somewhat overrated becuse the team he has is underachieving and he runs some stupid offenses at times, last year he was great and consistant but this year he is not and I don't think at all it has to do with the players. With CP3 they should be running the floor like the Knicks. Byron is good at the defensive side of things though.

yojoe792
02-22-2009, 05:33 PM
It comes down to this.

Phil has one SEVERAL championships on TWO teams. Doc was given a crappy team, and they were god awful. He's given a good team and they are good.

It's obvious Jackson has legitimate coaching skills. Doc is a good coach, but only puts up a good team when he is given one by management.

So it's Doc.

lorenz00
02-22-2009, 05:38 PM
overrated coach is phil jackson he just has the players thats why he's winning as many games as he won lol.. no disrespect for him

G-Funk
02-22-2009, 06:35 PM
overrated coach is phil jackson he just has the players thats why he's winning as many games as he won lol.. no disrespect for him

No D' Antoni is the most overrated coach of all time. He had a 2 time MVP, 2 great all stars in Amare and Marion, 6th man of the year in Barbosa a most improved player of the year(Diaw), Joe Johnson and still was not able to take his team past the West. He still won coach of the year if im correct... Now That's overrated.

If he would have won a chip with that team everyone would say that he won because he had all that talent.

Mr_Peabody
02-22-2009, 07:06 PM
Ya wasn't he the one that tranformed a championship team to a early playoffs exit team when Jordan retired and when he came back during 05-06 season and still sucked cuz he didnt have a duo.

That is an accomplishment...to take a team a championship team that was pretty much run by Jordan, and then subtract him from the team, and still make the playoffs is great. Think about it, the best player in the NBA is on your team one year, and not on it the next, yet you are still able to compete and make the playoffs past the first round. How can anyone say that is not great?

I guess I am in the minority with thinking Doc is a pretty good coach. Byron Scott is somewhat overrated becuse the team he has is underachieving and he runs some stupid offenses at times, last year he was great and consistant but this year he is not and I don't think at all it has to do with the players. With CP3 they should be running the floor like the Knicks. Byron is good at the defensive side of things though.

I agree that Doc is a great coach. People are stupid and believe they know everything about sports and can come in and perform miracles, which is why they criticize GM's and coaches. Just having stars on your team doesnt mean your gonna win everything, the game is about more than just numbers, its about the players emotion, hustle, attitude, work ethics, etc. To bring a team together and play as well as the celtics did in the Finals IS work of the coach. The only way a team can run is if they respect the coach and follow his teachings. If they dont respect, things fall apart, players work only for themselves, and bad things result. Anyways, half the people are just hating on Doc cuz he won a championship, and beat the Lakers.

Note: I am not a celtics fan, I am Bulls and Nuggets fan.

Mr_Peabody
02-22-2009, 07:11 PM
No D' Antoni is the most overrated coach of all time. He had a 2 time MVP, 2 great all stars in Amare and Marion, 6th man of the year in Barbosa a most improved player of the year(Diaw), Joe Johnson and still was not able to take his team past the West. He still won coach of the year if im correct... Now That's overrated.

If he would have one a chip with that team everyone would say that he won because he had all that talent.

A perfect example of having all the pieces necessay, and still no ring. 2 time MVP point guard, dominant offensive big man in Amare, Joe Johnson, Marion, Diaw, and Barbosa off the bench. This is why it takes more than just a stellar cast to win a championship.

mrblisterdundee
02-22-2009, 07:32 PM
Coaches are a very integral part of winning, but with enough talent you can take a team with any coach to a championship. Doc Rivers isn't an especially good coach, but Boston still won a championship off of their talent and player leadership. Phil Jackson has to be the most overrated. He would never have won so many championships without players like Michael Jordan, Scottie Pippen, Shaquille O'neal, and Kobe Bryant.

Fear_GAS_OLDier
02-22-2009, 07:41 PM
rivers sucked when it was just pierce now he has 3 all stars and their good so definitely rivers

Fear_GAS_OLDier
02-22-2009, 07:42 PM
and all those idiots who voted for jackson.....9 championship rings as a coach whether he had jordan and kobe and shaq is still a great coach

D Roses Bulls
02-22-2009, 09:38 PM
i forgot all about him..... yeah as my guys call him lebrons ******

D Roses Bulls
02-22-2009, 09:40 PM

it still took phil to implement the system. thats why i give him credit for that

TNA110990
02-22-2009, 09:48 PM
I went with Larry Brown b/c dude has coached like 30 different teams at all levels & hasn't really done much. Doc Rivers would be my #2 pick b/c he one 1 Title JUST B/C of Garnett, Allen, & Pierce, that's the ONLY REASON.

D Roses Bulls
02-22-2009, 09:51 PM
i forgot all about him..... yeah as my guys call him lebrons ******

i was talking about mike brown there..... i think he is so overrated as well

DaaBoTownSox
02-23-2009, 02:40 AM
Phil Jackson gets my vote. He's been lucky to have been blessed with Jordan, Shaq, Kobe thru the years.

JLynn943
02-23-2009, 03:12 AM
Doc Rivers. He was a bad coach until he got his 3 All-Stars, now he gets a free pass.

I don't see how Phil Jackson is overrated

DaaBoTownSox
02-23-2009, 03:18 AM
Doc Rivers. He was a bad coach until he got his 3 All-Stars, now he gets a free pass.

I don't see how Phil Jackson is overrated

Same reason many think Doc Rivers is.

mjt20mik
02-23-2009, 03:18 AM
Doc doesn't coach, Thibodeau does.

Giantwarrior
02-23-2009, 04:50 AM
Mike Brown hands down. That guy has one play, lebron ISO.

I'd bet that phil would get more wins then doc if they had the exact same team.

ElMarroAfamado
02-23-2009, 05:03 AM
Same reason many think Doc Rivers is.

wait....let me get this straight...........you are comparing doc rivers to phil jackson?
god had to be a boston fan